[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 18 KB, 320x320, Strife - Quest for the Sigil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2186713 No.2186713 [Reply] [Original]

Let's talk about "DOOM with Talk."

Your thoughts on the game? Pros and cons.

>> No.2186729 [DELETED] 
File: 285 KB, 1024x819, Screenshot_Doom_20100118_144555.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

only 3 games thats about all i find wrong with it and in 3 it had stupid guns that i didnt care about. its simple scirfi games can have scifi guns and capture peoples imaginations but doom is shooting demons with a remington shotgun a double barrel and a beretta then cutting the pieces up with a chainsaw, its about guns that have character and blood and guts. the problem with the 3rd game was the guns looked stupid and i didnt give a fuck about them, gun list for doom 4 should be.... berettaa 92fs, colt 1911 desert eagle, smith and wesson model 29-2. pump action shotgun Remington 870 or mossburg 500 or Winchester 1200. auto double barrel shotgun long barrels and sawnoff barrels. then auto shotgun beretta or something. then SMG's mp5k, uzi, glock 18 bretta 93r. assault rifles. m4 ak47/74 G36 and G36c...all customizable with GL's. LMG's m60 m249...then minigun. also chainsaw samurai sword. exoskeletons robot suits space walks. then scifi guns can be added one or more of every catagory of gun. plasma bolter laser whatever. arm cannons on exoskeletons lightsaber style sword a pistol that looks like the m2019 (blade runner pistol) if fallout can do it anyone can do it no excuses. and lasstly doom 4 needs a complete version of the game in a retro look with a lives system (make it look like doom one and two) it wouldnt be hard just use like a gzdoom wad system or some shit

>> No.2186731 [DELETED] 
File: 1.21 MB, 1280x1024, screenshot_doom_20121106_140445.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

three was terrible with the guns but the game was spot on 4 needs to be like dead space maybe customisatable weapons like dead space 3

>> No.2186743

>>2186713
Pros:
I enjoyed it. The big fight with allies was neat, felt like they'd really tried to mix things up and push the genre by not just being a straight shooter. Multiple ends was a nice feature and knowing I could fuck up and have a bad end made me try harder to find all the bits needed. The setting was interesting, and the hub-based levels worked for me as they were not confusing as shit like Hexen's.

Cons:
Sewer level with annoying enemies.

>> No.2186746

>>2186743
>Sewer level with annoying enemies.
Is that the worst part of the game? Because I have passed that point and thought that was the weakest point so far.

>> No.2186751

>>2186746
As far as I remember, yeah. It's pretty consistent in quality otherwise. But it was the '90s and a sewer level was mandatory I guess.

>> No.2186753

>>2186729
tl;dr

>> No.2186840

>>2186729
Is this word salad meant to be funny? It is.

>>2186743
>Sewer level with annoying enemies.
Don't remember that bit at all. Don't find Strife very memorable in general, though it's p fun

>> No.2186902

>>2186713
Pros:
-lots of weapons, and they were pretty off beat, missile launcher was actually somewhat weak
-immersive persistant backtrackable world
-voice acting
Cons:
-Stealth elements were rather absurd
-no option to play as a female character. Hence, no lesbian innuendo with Blackbird.
-No high res mode, not even 360x240. 360x400, of 360x350 along with higher res NPC photos would have been nice.
-CD space wasn't really used
-NO ADD-ONS!

>> No.2188273

Did you kill the Oracle or Macil?

>> No.2188989

>>2188273
Both.

>> No.2189046

Had to buy the Veteran Edition instantly, as Strife was the 2nd 3D FPS I played.

The most annoying thing are the sewers, due to confusing map layout & requirement to use those stoopidt Environmental Suits. There's a nice tactic to prevent exposure better though:

Waiting ~25 secs after the screen begins to flash green, then use a suit, which last for 80 secs. Luckily you can pretty much use them repeatedly (max 5 in inventory) & collect more along the way, if you move fast or use a walkthrough.

Love the stealth mechanism, considering how it works somehow even though it's a FPS - Knife & poison arrows FTW

>> No.2189054

It seems great. I tried to play it after watching the Ross's Game Dungeon video on it, but I'm still just so sick of Doom that I can't get into it right now.

>> No.2189283

I didn't have any problems with the sewers, they were pretty tedious but with the map it was totally bearable. I even like a few parts of that mission, just could do with less robotos haha.

>> No.2189507

>>2189046
Besides the visuals, what changes did they make to Veteran Edition?

>> No.2190093

>>2186713
pros:
>introduced strife dialogues
>interdasting accuracy system
>good use of hub maps, unlike in hexen

cons:
>none of the strife accuracy-based action functions for zdoom are documented
>game is poorly balanced
>setting is kinda jarring
>blackbird is annoying as shit
>is getting shilled because of veteran edition and that's always fucking annoying.

>>2186902
>-No high res mode, not even 360x240. 360x400, of 360x350

the fuck are you talking about? play it in a source port. I play strife at 1400x1050.

>-NO ADD-ONS!
not many, but there are a few. Brutal Strife, Endless Strife, etc. If you're really pissed about it, go get slade and make some.

>>2189046
>Had to buy the Veteran Edition instantly, as Strife was the 2nd 3D FPS I played.

and I had to download STRIFE1.WAD for free and play it in zdoom and be no one's bitch because of it...

>> No.2190096

>>2189507
that's it. It's based on chocolate strife's codebase, and even has the same bugs as are present in chocolate strife.

>> No.2190114

>>2190093
>and I had to download STRIFE1.WAD for free and play it in zdoom and be no one's bitch because of it...

You sound really angry m8, but good for you

>> No.2190134

>>2190114
>angry

yeah, haven't had my wake-up coffee yet. I'll probably regret it later.

srsly, my only issue with strife is that its accuracy calculations are retardedly complicated while also almost entirely undocumented. you almost have to dig into source code to figure out how the default weapons are hard coded to see how it works...really frustrating, especially when you try to make mods for strife.

>> No.2190248

>>2190093

>shilling

If you don't know what a word means, you probably shouldn't use it.

>> No.2190348

>>2190248
He used it correctly. Not convinced myself, but it is a little weird how much attention this moderately obscure game is getting here.

>> No.2190470

>>2190348
>how much attention

It's had a thread up ever since VE came out using the same opening image, whereas before, Strife was a minor topic for /doom/.

I'm pretty sure someone is shilling it.

>> No.2190589
File: 214 KB, 835x1872, 1420482286651.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2190348

No, he didn't. $5 says you can't quote the definition without the aid of Google.

>>2190470

It has gotten a lot of attention, but I doubt it's a "viral marketer" or a "shill." I imagine it's far more simple.

>Hm, this is a thing. What's Strife?
>Oh, this looks cool. Hey, I bet this is right up /vr/'s alley.
>Doesn't look like there's already a thread on it, so let's make one.

Combine this with people wanting to know whether it's worth buying and maybe wanting some good discussion on it, and it's not so unlikely that more than 1 thread could be made on it. Once the fairly miniscule amount of "hype" for VE dies down, it will more than likely return to the Doom threads except for once in a blue moon when someone makes yet another thread.

In essence, you people are paranoid idiots.

>> No.2190678

>>2190589
>No, he didn't. $5 says you can't quote the definition without the aid of Google.
To shill a product is to pretend to be an ordinary customer when you're in fact an agent of the party that produced the product.

>inb4 pedantic aspergian WELL ACTUALLY

>> No.2190756
File: 45 KB, 407x407, you-sir-are-a-swine-and-you-aint-my-nigga.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2190093
>setting is kinda jarring
>blackbird is annoying as shit

>> No.2190765

>>2190589
>five dollars says you can't quote a passage from a source without using a source
well, no shit. don't agree with him, i think this game getting some more support has been well earned as a fucking rpg on the doom engine, but you are fucking retarded.

>> No.2190784

>>2190093
>>good use of hub maps, unlike in hexen

fuck you bub hexen rules

>> No.2190791

>>2190784
hexen is great, no argument there...

it's hubs, however, felt like "just big levels". Strife felt like later seamless multimap games.

but no, I like hexen as a game better than strife, but I'm not going to lie to myself and act like another game didn't do certain things better than it.

>> No.2190836
File: 368 KB, 640x480, smutný pes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I did the first mission, killed the guy in the Order base and stole the chalice. Gave the chalice to the guy who wanted it, he sent me to the governor. Before going there, I went to the secret rebel base, and the leader told me to go to their supplies guy behind the weapon shop, and then also to the governor (Not completely sure here, is there a way to scroll through your quests? The tasks screen only seems to display the latest one.) However, whenever I talk to the governor, he just tells me he's gonna turn me in and an endless stream of soldiers start teleporting into the room. Even if I kill him and/or run away, my quest is still to talk to him.

Have I fucked up somehow?

>> No.2190845

>>2190836
Yes, the chalice quest is a trap, if you do it before a certain point in the game, you can't progress further (though you're basically going to get fucked whenever you try it, unless you're a real smooth and skilled motherfucker).

>> No.2190880 [SPOILER] 
File: 36 KB, 480x288, 1421849659265.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2190845
>if you do it before a certain point in the game, you can't progress further

Welp, good thing I kept multiple saves...

>> No.2190890

>>2190845
>first fucking quest is a trap
What were they thinking? Seriously? Also, what happens if you use a godmode cheat and kill the bad guys that spawn from the governor office?

>> No.2190893

>>2190890
I think they never stop spawning. I killed the gov, then ran out, my quest is still telling me to talk to him.

>> No.2190921

>>2190890
It's not the first quest actually, it's a side quest.
The first quest is the guy that's just by the sewage plant where you start, after you shiv those two guards at the absolute beginning.

He gives you a crossbow and electric bolts, and asks you to infiltrate the Sanctuary and kill a captive before he talks, and bring his ring back as proof. Don't touch the chalice (even if it looks totally crunk).

>>2190893
They're not infinite, they are just fucking many, I think maybe 100 or something. But the progress of the game basically dead ends if you do the chalice quest before a certain point.

You could do it later in the game, like after the Castle I think, but there's really no point to it unless you want to kill the major and the fight an insane amount of guards.

As to why such an early quest would trap you, I don't know, maybe it seemed like a good idea at the time, maybe it was part of a questline that was cut short.
I know that in the demo/shareware version, that's the only quest, and the demo ends at that point.

>> No.2191198

>>2190678

You are correct.

But then it just goes back to me sincerely doubting we're actually dealing with marketers.

>>2190765

I didn't mean for him to quote the actual words, but to quote the meaning, i.e. to paraphrase. I'm not unfair.

>> No.2191267

>>2190880
you can drop the chalice bro

>> No.2191452

>>2191198
>But then it just goes back to me sincerely doubting we're actually dealing with marketers.

I still doubt it too. The simpler explanation works: /vr/ is full of hipsters

>> No.2191809

>>2191452
Hipsters are always going to exist here since enjoying things that are obscure or retro come with the territory for a hipster.
For example, Strife is a very obscure FPS that uses the DOOM engine.

>> No.2191817

>>2191809
It's a shame though, because there's so many things about Strife that makes it great, maybe if it had done well enough, it could have gotten itself a sequel.

Of course, by that time, everyone was doing real 3D, so maybe the delightful cartoonish art style would be lost.

>> No.2191872

>>2191817
Was the source code lost for this game?

>> No.2191882

>>2191872
I think it was, yeah.

>> No.2191898

>>2191872

To my memory, it was lost but the devs came back and helped to reverse-engineer it back from the DOOM source code, for source ports and shit.

>> No.2192037
File: 918 KB, 1280x829, strife.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2190890
"Trust No One".

Besides, you could tell Harris is a smarmy crook not to be trusted just from how he looked and talked.

If you've already finished Governor Mourel's quest you can talk to Harris, accept his quest, then just shoot him with a poison arrow or stab him to get some fat loot without consequence. Same with Mourel for free gold.

>> No.2192051

>>2192037
>That back of the box description.
A lot of it is actually true, albeit somewhat exaggerated (only slightly).

>> No.2192184

>>2190890
>what were they thinking

Harris replaces rowan in the demo version. his quest is literally just a holdover of a feature designed to keep you from progressing in the demo.

>> No.2192187

>>2191817
never ever hope for a doomclone sequel in the 3d age.

just go play hexen 2 and see how well that wish ends up

>> No.2192660

>>2192187
I have seen screenshots of the unreleased Hacx 2, and it looked ugly like balls (and it seemed weird to work on a sequel when the first game felt like it wasn't even finished), but... I do have Hexen 2 on my shelf. I bought it, never opened it.

Is it bad?

>> No.2193963

>>2190093
>the fuck are you talking about? play it in a source port. I play strife at 1400x1050.

the fuck are YOU talking about? play strife now? and there is no source port, rather a source reconstruction.

> If you're really pissed about it, go get slade and make some.

That would be a very stupid reason. I did way better producing quake series add on stuff than doom, so it would be totally impractical for me to make things for strife.

>> No.2193991

>>2192660
>hexen 2
>bad

I played it for 30 minutes before being offended by the gag worthyness of it.

the controls feel like you're ice skating on motoroil while you're dissociated on ketamine, and the animations are very choppy, even when you use a source port with interpolated models.

The level design was ugly, and it just...I dunno, it fucking sucked. Doesn't live up to Hexen 1 at all.

>hacx 2
I've been playing the shit out of hacx 1.2 and 2.0 recently...kinda want to see what the "real" hacx 2 looked like.

>> No.2194572

>>2193963

(G)Zdoom and Doomsday support strife natively and I believe there is a Chocolate Doom port for Strife as well.

>> No.2195482

I wonder if remaking this for modern Quake ports w/QuakeC and one huge map in .BSP2 format could be worth it. Lighting advancements would already be a plus.

>> No.2195496

>>2195482
It's worth the effort. I like the level based nature of 90's FPS, but an actual action-adventure feel to them would be pretty awesome.

>> No.2198371
File: 324 KB, 1030x1065, 1412353971079.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2194572
The is no port. There was never ANY port!! It was not like Hexen. The source code was lost. It was not like duke3d/quake either, there were no other versions until recently.

ALSO, the era-obsessive dogmatism that strife is subjected to are just plain childish. On the one hand, nowadays people get wide eyed at it because of the doom nostalgia. On the other hand, back then it was blamed for / seen as dated (which the lack of a modest resolution boost does kind of seem like a specific way in which it just might have been).

And that's pretty smallminded. It was interesting and refreshing because it had that story-immersing experience. Though that does kind of make it have something in common with modern "games"

>> No.2198435

>>2198371

The source code was recreated and then released so source ports could have support for it. Close enough for government work if you ask me.

And yeah, it was dated when it came out. Strife came out between Quake and Duke, though, so getting either id Tech 1 or Build would have been fairly pricey if it was even possible, unless they wanted to code their own engine themselves. Even then, coding their own engine probably would have ended up pretty similar to DOOM's engine anyway. So, while it did seem dated graphically, I think I could forgive them for it in the context of the era.

>> No.2198761

>>2198435
It wasn't that dated. ROTT came out just the previous year. Sure, FMV games had been out for a few years, but Strife was pretty ahead of those in terms of total quality. On the other hand, Terminator Future Shock also came out then, that didn't have voice acting, but as a narrative game, you sure could say it was more impressive - but that doesn't make Strife not ahead of it's time, it just makes TFS *massively* ahead, considering it also already used mouselook back them and had vehicle and zero-G sections.

The quake1 engine? Nope, that wouldn't have happened, that company would never have survived that much of a development delay. Also, that's the id tech TWO engine. (I'm stumped about why they don't simply refer to the Q1 and Q2 engines as id tech 2.1 and 2.2).

Build could conceivably have been good for it, or maybe the xNgine from that terminator game, or say the jedi engine or the engine from Eradicator, if any of those would have been possible.

But, I dunno, I need to be a little stubborn ...
the doom engine with a resolution bump is an awfully obvious scenario, and it would have been decidedly well suited. It used many drawn images. Even ones like 320x400 or 360x360 would have been fine, the CD had more than enough space to include even a dozen copies of the NPC images plus higher sample rate voices, plus a few CD audio tracks. Or if had been possible to just use higher res sprites.

It would have been interesting what could have been done with a somewhat standard doom engine, beyond adding looking up an down and back-and-forth levels, which were already done by the time of Hexen.

>> No.2199078

>>2192037
You even got an extra heads-up in the demo/shareware version. It came early on anyway, so it wouldn't have been all that big a deal.

The RPG elements were kind of exaggerated. It did have something extra, but to call it an RPG is silly, it's not even half RPG.

>> No.2200150

>>2198371
How do "lost" source codes happen?

>> No.2200160

>>2200150
Same way any other form of lost data happens.

>> No.2200196

>>2200150
Specific to that type of situation? I dunno...

Use of floppies and zip disks, and gradual degradation of those? It getting buried in a large hard drive? A combination of those two with a tape drive?

Having it stored on magneto-optical disks, which people then found the need to reuse for other things?

Aggressive vigilance about controlling who gets access to the code, particularly since the engine was, unusually, licensed? Inability of a struggling little company to balance securing against data leaks and data loss?

Or maybe just general apathy, particularly from the programmers?