[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 43 KB, 256x303, MightAndMagic6Box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2186352 No.2186352 [Reply] [Original]

Is there any reason to put more points into skills beyond the minimum needed for Master?

I'm playing a party of KPCS and am around level 45. My Knight is sitting on a billion skill points, but I have mastered basically everything I need for him. Should I just dump everything into my sword skill, or any other ideas?

>> No.2186520

Depends on the skill. What skills does he provide for the party?

>> No.2186536

>>2186520
mastery in:

sword
plate
merchant
perception
disarm
repair
bodybuilding

i dumped a bunch of points into sword just to see what would happen, and i couldn't tell much of a difference. i don't know if it affects some internal CTH or damage modifiers.

>> No.2186553

>>2186536
Merchant continues to provide return on investment, IF you need more money. At that point, I doubt you do.
Perception, repair, and disarm should be good at master, but you'll know if you need to go upwards.

Sword and BB both provide return based on skill rank. Focus on sword, put points in BB only if you're having durability issues. I don't remember the exact details of what sword does, but the game can tell you.

Would also recommend leaving some points open to spike the late-game weapon skill right up to master when you get it.

>> No.2186857

>>2186553
Thanks. Looks like bodybuilding is a good stat to put in for the time being, especially since I basically use my knight as a tank. And from what I read, Blasters > everything late-game.

This game is incredible.

>> No.2187846

Knight is the skill machine, since it doesn't need to waste points on magic.
You can always skill up another weapon if you want, mace deals way more damage and you can keep a sword in the off-hand for example.

>>2186553
>Would also recommend leaving some points open to spike the late-game weapon skill right up to master when you get it.
The only bonus from raising your Ancient Weapon skill is +attack, so it's not really worth it past around rank 10, and with a good Light Magic caster you can probably buff yourself to ~99% hit chance with just DotG and HoP.

>>2186536
>i don't know if it affects some internal CTH or damage modifiers.
Extra points in sword increases chance to hit and reduces recovery time. Swords only get damage bonuses from your Strength value, axes and maces get damage from skill level.

>> No.2187942

Friendly reminder that Castle FUCKING Darkmoor exists and it's the bane of everyone's sanity.
Seriously, fuck that dungeon. Fuck it sideways.

>> No.2187964

>>2187942
Shrapmetal, Lloyd's Beacon and knowing what to look for is the key.

Doing it without knowing how to battle Eyes, not knowing how to "open the paths", and not knowing what enemies do what or resist what makes it a nightmare.

The problem is that you can't really know where all the debuffs/dispels come from unless you've already tested out Eyes in Gharik's place in Kriegspire, which you usually haven't (since there are no quests for it).

A few (somewhat) pointers for the harder rooms (30+ enemies):
- Have a corner to hide behind so you can pull the ogres/liches, use Inferno to kill/weaken the ogres
- Kill Flying Eyes with Incinerate from far away
- Run up to Terrible Eyes and Maddening Eyes and enter turn-based when you're close enough for them to be a bunch of giant pixels on your screen, then on your sorc/cleric's turn, leave tb and immediately cast Shrapmetal and re-enter tb
- Town Portal to Mist, heal, Lloyd's back to the dungeon and repeat until you've killed everything and removed more insanity than a nuke in Twin Peaks

>it's the bane of everyone's sanity.
No, that's just the Maddening Eyes

>> No.2187974

>>2187964
Insanity is a plus for knights.

>> No.2187980

>>2187974
Yes, but it's hard to maintain if you're trying to be time-efficient and use temples instead of resting since the caster healing is so damn inefficient. Unless you're using your knight as a Shared Life hp pool anyway.

>> No.2188018

>>2186857
>Blasters > everything late-game.
Correction:
Blasters WITH HASTE > everything late-game.
I know another anon missed this in a previous thread a few months back, but you can hold down the shoot button with a hasted blaster and have it fire like a machine gun and kill anything but Terminators in seconds. Yes, even Titans and Gold Dragons.

>> No.2188028

>>2187964
I went into Castle Darkmoor unprepared and unknowing of the dangers lying inside. My PACS party had no Dragon Breath nor any other high-level aoe spell. I just had DotG and HoP but they got quickly dispelled.
Nearly after an hour of frustration and a few rooms cleared I just TPed out of there. I came back 50 level later with blasters and UNLEASHED RIGHTEOUS FURY UPON MY ENEMIES.
Fuck, I can't believe there are people mad enough to do this quest without Dragon's Breath or Blasters.

>> No.2188053

>>2188028
>without Dragon's Breath or Blasters.
Oh, but you HAVE to do it without Blasters if you want to do it properly! It's basically Cheese-Stopper: the Dungeon
Besides, Dragon's Breath is very cost-inefficient. Sure it's usually a 200+ damage Fireball, bus it costs nearly a million mana to use.

Inferno in the "invisible wall" room, Inferno in the first "blue cube" room, and Incinerate+Shrapmetal everywhere else.

Tomb of VARN on the other hand, without sleep-immunity rings on your entire team...

>> No.2188171

Going off on a tangent here, but how did M&M X turn out? Looked kind of low budget, but it's not like a grid-based dungeon crawler needs a AAA budget to be good. Then again, I also heard the dev team was a bunch of inexperienced nobodies, so...

>> No.2188409

>>2186352
What does food actually do in this game? I have run out but can still travel between areas. Also, isn't there a secret place right near the start of the game that lets me massively pump up my stats?

>> No.2188489

>>2188409
Food is used for rest healing. If you run out of food, you can't use the "rest 8 hours" command to fully restore the party.

>> No.2188515
File: 278 KB, 640x480, MM6 2014-02-19 13-23-56-96.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2187942

>> No.2188540

Hey y'all, I just started this (3 months ago) and haven't been able to get too far in it, I get to Ironfist and am not sure what to do next. It seems like all the enemies I meet in the ironfist area are too strong for me though I've been grabbing skills and killed all the enemies in the New Sorpigal zone.

It's weird to me because I more or less steamrolled through M&M 3-5. I know these games have a reputation for being more casual grind'n'explore adventures than their other first-person counterparts, so I'm thinking if I'm having this much trouble early on I'm probably just missing something.

>> No.2188748

>>2188409
>>2188489
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it also make you weak if you go too long without food/rest? Weak and eventually insane.

>> No.2188840

>>2188748
You also die if you stay weak for too long.

>> No.2189292

>>2188540
The most important question is: do you have Archery/Bows on everyone?
If yes, go do Temple of Baal quest, it's pretty easy despite enemies spawning on your ass and blocking the exit .
If you still feel overwhelmed just travel the world in carriage or on ship and get your spells/skills.
What you said is pretty weird, because most parties have no trouble with Castle Ironfist area after doing quests in New Sorpigal.

>> No.2189503

>>2188748
>>2188840
You can reset the "weakness" counter by just walking between zones even if you have no food, you'll only go insane or die if you stay in the same zone while awake for too long.

>> No.2189536

>>2188409
>Also, isn't there a secret place right near the start of the game that lets me massively pump up my stats?
There is a secret teleporter to the Shrine of the Gods on top of the Buccaneer's Guild in NS, but you'll get eaten by dragons in seconds unless you also pack a TP scroll or have luck like Gladstone Gander.

>> No.2189719

>>2189536
Or you can just take the OTHER secret teleporter back.

>> No.2189760

>>2187942
This is the last time that I can remember being so pissed off at a game and it was in Castle Darkmoor

>> No.2189842

>>2189719
The whatnow?

>> No.2189856

>>2189842
I can't remember the exact wall without booting the game, but one of the walls on the outside of the shrine teleports you to New Sorpigal if you interact with it. Which makes a L1 trip to NWC infinitely less suicidal for those inclined.

>> No.2190398

What should I do with the shitton of rings I have? Sell them or hold onto them?

Also, is there any particular ring type (e.g. witch ring) that I should DEFINITELY hold onto?

>> No.2190412

>>2190398
Rings have value to you based purely on their enchantments. Fancier rings just sell for more and are likely to have better enchantments.

>> No.2190838

>>2190398
Hold on to any Lunar Ring or greater (in other words, value of 500 or more) since those can be enchanted.

Fine Rings and Sparkling Rings are vendor trash.

>> No.2190850

>>2189292
>What you said is pretty weird, because most parties have no trouble with Castle Ironfist area after doing quests in New Sorpigal.
Yeah, it seemed weird to me too. I'll go scour about and get bows on everyone. I realized that I only did about half of the abandoned temple in New Sorpigal before I put the game down for a while so I'll go clear that out too.

>> No.2190862

>>2190850
Did you do all of Goblinwatch or did you just get the code?

>> No.2190867

>>2190850
>get bows on everyone
>I realized that I only did about half of the abandoned temple in New Sorpigal before I put the game down for a while so I'll go clear that out too.

Yeah, you should start with that. Having bows on your whole party makes killing monsters much easier in early-game.
Also, always remember to fight in turn-based mode. You won't get arse-fucked for the 90% of the game. When you get ancient weapons, you'll just hold Attack in real-time - if you want to devoid yourself of fun Buffs like Bless are also pretty cool in the beginning, much later on you'll get Day of the Gods and Hour of Power which give you every single buff possible and last for days with high level magic skill.