[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 15 KB, 256x224, SecretEvermore396.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2184685 No.2184685 [Reply] [Original]

Can we please have a thread about how amazing this game is? I see Secret of Mana stuff all the time, but rarely do I ever see Secret of Evermore threads?
I freaking love this game, and I know it's easy to break the game and cheese everything, but I just love it! It's probably nostalgia goggles, but I can't get over it. I recently played the game with the 2-player mod with a friend that isn't very into retro vidya, and he loved it.
Anyway, Secret of Evermore thread!

>> No.2184726
File: 132 KB, 583x452, evermore1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2184685
You guys have a favorite boss? Favorite alchemy? Favorite weapon?
My favorite alchemy will always be Fireball, for some reason. I also like Sting.

>> No.2184728
File: 75 KB, 527x455, 2522909-secret+of+evermore.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2184685
I liked the concept art for a lot of this game, but I don't understand how some of it relates, like pic related

>> No.2184754
File: 46 KB, 800x600, gfs_40377_2_30.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fuck this nigger.

>> No.2184759

>>2184754
I had a bug one time where this guy just wouldn't appear at all. Had to load back from a save in Horace's camp.

feltbadman

>> No.2184760

>>2184685
The music from that area (pic) is one of my all time favourite vg tracks. I know its not the best, but that track, that puppet show.. so awesomedark. SoE was the closest I had to a sequel to Mana. It felt massivley americanised at the time. But I tried hard to love it, and did in the end. It's like a retarded child; despite it's many flaws, its still part of the family and a small part of me still loves it, no matter what.

>> No.2184769
File: 521 KB, 1000x600, secret_of_evermore_bug_fight_by_tonikop_high_desktop_1000x600_hd-wallpaper-815164.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2184760
Oh, yes. I love most of the music from that game.
And yes, it is Americanized because it was created by Square of America, or whatever the company was called. I'm pretty sure it was all completely created and developed by an American team.
And I have always loved it, probably because I had never played Secret of Mana as a child.

>> No.2184771
File: 53 KB, 800x600, gfs_40377_2_35.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love how Thraxx is so gigantic, he is easily seen from high in the atmosphere.

>> No.2184773
File: 222 KB, 640x480, skullfucks.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2184685
Voting for these skull bat fuckers as most annoying enemy.

>> No.2184784
File: 79 KB, 256x223, EvermoreLawyer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A lot of the charm of the game came from cheesy jokes like this, I think.
This is from the dinner scene where you're about to be thrown into jail by the [/spoiler] imposter queen.

>> No.2184813
File: 28 KB, 450x300, Jeremy+Soule.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2184760
>>2184769
>the music
My negros
Jeremy Soule is amazing, look at this bad ass composing music on a fucking cliff
Later went on to do the music for Elder Scrolls

>> No.2184816

>>2184728
I believe that's the space station, the final segment of the game.

>> No.2184839

>>2184813
Wasn't Jeremy Soule around 18 years old when he composed for SoE?

Love the atmosphere in this game. I love that most of the game doesn't have music tracks, just ambiance. The only single downside is all the unfortunate game-ending bugs.

These songs though:
http://youtu.be/n9DuAzh9ejM
http://youtu.be/eh-LszTLUaU

>> No.2184864

>>2184813
>>2184839
This, I didn't know.
>immediately googles "Jeremy Soule"

>> No.2184885

>>2184864
I looked it up. When he was hired by Square to compose for Secret of Evermore he was 19. Amazing.

>> No.2185092

>>2184685
I had a friend once that absolutely loved that game. Really ought to give it a try sometime myself, I suppose.

Out of curiosity, if I were to emulate it on, say, a modded Wii, would that multiplayer hack still work right? Thinking I might be able to rope a friend in for it sometime and playing it and playing it in front of an actual TV would likely make for a better experience than crammed in front of a smaller computer screen or whatnot.

>> No.2185251

>>2184685
>I see Secret of Mana stuff all the time, but rarely do I ever see Secret of Evermore threads?
What? Lately I have seen many people praising SOE and many people calling SoM overrated shit.

Anyway I played through SoE recently and had a great time.

>>2184754
I know everyone probably knows this by now but you can actually avoid fighting this guy by backtracking all the way to the chessboard thingy and heading to the castle on right that for some reason is now open. However if you enter the boss room from the wrong side you get stuck in the crates and have to reset the game. I accidentally figured this out on my own as a kid and it confused the fuck out of me back then.

>> No.2185272 [DELETED] 

I thought SoE was average at best.

Compared to SoM, gameplay is annoying because enemies move in that weird diagonal way which makes fights drag on forever. Also, since the dog is very limited, you're pretty much left with one character.
Once you get certain magics you are invicible, it's not even funny. The last 1/4th of the game is pointless since you're invicible.
The trade system is trying too had and simply too annoying for its own good.
Finally there are several instances of unfun level design, I'm talking about the locations where every screen looks the same and you have to find your way out. This is the kind of level design that the devs KNEW it wasn't fun but decided to add anyway just to add artificial length to the game, because the player would get lost. That's intentionally making your game bad.

Story is very basic, and if you ask me, lacks magic. I really did not feel that whole "boy sent in a magical world" feeling the game is supposed to be about. To me, a game like SoM, though more classic as far as video games and RPGs story are concerned, is ten times more magical (that's not saying SoM's story is any more original though, it might be a little more original within video games, but "boy sent to a magical world" is nothing original per se).
Storytelling is non-existent, as it can be summarize with "Go to point B and you MIGHT learn more about why you're here and how to get out!" followed by "Go to point C and you MIGHT learn more about why you're here and how to get out!" followed by "Go to point B and you MIGHT learn more about why you're here and how to get out!". You get my point.

>> No.2185274

I thought SoE was average at best.

Compared to SoM, gameplay is annoying because enemies move in that weird diagonal way which makes fights drag on forever. Also, since the dog is very limited, you're pretty much left with one character.
Once you get certain magics you are invicible, it's not even funny. The last 1/4th of the game is pointless since you're invicible.
The trade system is trying too had and simply too annoying for its own good.
Finally there are several instances of unfun level design, I'm talking about the locations where every screen looks the same and you have to find your way out. This is the kind of level design that the devs KNEW it wasn't fun but decided to add anyway just to add artificial length to the game, because the player would get lost. That's intentionally making your game bad.

Story is very basic, and if you ask me, lacks magic. I really did not feel that whole "boy sent in a magical world" feeling the game is supposed to be about. To me, a game like SoM, though more classic as far as video games and RPGs story are concerned, is ten times more magical (that's not saying SoE's story is any more original though, it might be a little more original for a video game, but "boy sent to a magical world" is nothing original per se).
Storytelling is non-existent, as it can be summarize with "Go to point B and you MIGHT learn more about why you're here and how to get out!" followed by "Go to point C and you MIGHT learn more !" followed by "Go to point D and you MIGHT learn more !". You get my point.

>> No.2185358

>>2184685
I was into a low level run recently.
Was very fun but not 100% optimized because I could have easily skipped atleast 2 or 3 enemies, which were like 2-3 levels.

>> No.2185363

>>2184885
Remember, SoE was published by Square of America, a separate company. SoE was also their only game and HQ pulled the plug on them afterward. Anyway, I'm sure square of America, seeing as they were fresh of the ground, had slightly more lax standards and would take anyone as long as they had obvious talent.

>> No.2185398

always loved the boss battle theme the most
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9RC6Rxy0x4
really awesome

>> No.2185421

>>2184813
Srs. This man is amazing.
>>2184816
It seems like the space station is entirely too large. Hmmm, I don't know.
>>2184839
I think it's awesome, too, and helps keep the music from being repetitive.
>>2185092
I'm not sure if it would work on a modded wii. What my friend and I did was just hook my laptop up to an HDMI big screen TV. While not authentic, it was great. There ARE issues with the multiplayer hack, namely with the Pyramid. BEFORE you enter the pyramid, make a save. Then, I would make savestates on each floor. The bug is really annoying.
>>2185251
I don't like skipping stuff like that, myself.
>>2185358
I've heard that that, not using Crush, and not wearing armor make the game a real challenge. Been meaning to try it.
>>2185363
Wish they had more opportunities.

>> No.2185434

>>2185421
If you want a challenge you should really try low level runs.
You are more or less capped on currency in act1/3 and 4 because every monster you kill will level you up. Its possible to get yourself unlimited jewels in a2 however just by trading/selling certain items to certain vendors.

Some day I gonna retry this challenge without the armor/arnold buff formula exploit. Probably even a 100% low level run just because I like the challenge and the game.

>> No.2185439

>>2185434
I've heard the gameplay balance mod makes it so you don't have to do these things; it makes the game difficult again. I'm not sure about that.

I'd really dislike not having enough alchemy on a low-level run though.

>> No.2185447

>>2185439
well, thats part of the challenge.
you need to balance out your currency/ingredients and you need to search for most of the hidden ingredients with the help of your dog.

I still havent tried the rebalance patch because I prefer to play games on the original console.
Games just feel different on the real system, I dunno.

>> No.2185727
File: 182 KB, 1024x448, 1364835939358.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Far better than that bugfest SD3

>> No.2185750

Great game. The atmosphere was of the hook.

>> No.2186576

SoE speedruns are positively hilarious. You break the game from start to finish.

A pity that the more recent speedruns don't make use of all glitches, though (Low success rate for early dog in the classical world, for example),

Still - well worth watching.

>> No.2186823

>>2186576
Yeah, I watched that autist brony metasigma speedrun on one of the gdq's from one year. Despite being a brony, he was actually very entertaining

It just blows my mind the things that they find out about the game and do with the game.
What are some other entertaining speedruns for SoE, that have good commentary that you'd recommend. I hate watching speedruns that have no commentary.

>> No.2187352

>>2186823
metasigma's commentary is probably the best there is, 's long as you can stand his being bare-chested and a brony.

crawek has the WR, but no decent commentary from him.

Vultuz is pretty okay.

I wish yagamoth ran SoE. His SoM commentary is fantastic.

>> No.2187545

>>2185274
SoE>SoM

SoM has like 5102 recolored bosses and you run around like a retard you don't know what to do also never liked this happy bright colors

>> No.2187665

>>2187352
Ahhh, okay. So basically ya just have to deal with metasigma?

>>2187545
I love SoE and Square so very much, but I could never get into SoM. I don't know why. Probably something wrong with me.

>> No.2187710

>>2184813
jeremy's the fuckin man

>> No.2187748

I made the mistake of giving my dog a swear word for a name when I first got this game.

>> No.2188393

It really needed a two player mode though.

>> No.2188413

>>2187545
SoE doesn't have notable characters.

It has a dreadful soundtrack... when it actually has songs instead of sleep inducing ambient sounds.

It lifts the annoying Weapon/Magic leveling system from SoM and makes it even worse by making older weapons obsolete and having magic require items to be cast.

It has two characters and doesn't bother to fix the AI issues of SoM. The dog also lacks magic and weapons until the last stage, making any switches other than the forced ones undesirable.

The story is mostly disconnected and a bad excuse to follow a straight line through the handful of stages only to face a last boss that wasn't built up.

I don't even like SoM that much. SoE is just awfully boring.

>> No.2188472

>>2188413
>It has a dreadful soundtrack

>> No.2188491

>>2188413
>SoE doesn't have notable characters.
Eh, I found them more notable than the ones in SoM. Yeah, they're still nothing special, but given the competition...
>It has a dreadful soundtrack... when it actually has songs instead of sleep inducing ambient sounds.
Matter of taste. You either love it or hate it. I love it.
>It lifts the annoying Weapon/Magic leveling system from SoM and makes it even worse by making older weapons obsolete and having magic require items to be cast.
Conversely, every weapon category is actually usable, while you'll just ignore half the weapons in SoM.
The bottlenecks built into the magic system prevent SoM-esque magic-raping everything, and the game is designed so that using weapons instead of magic gets you through it, too, if you want to. If one does go the magic route, chances are, on the first playthrough, the player has to improvise in Gothica instead of raping everything in sight. There is actual tension. That's a good, an excellent thing.
>It has two characters and doesn't bother to fix the AI issues of SoM. The dog also lacks magic and weapons until the last stage, making any switches other than the forced ones undesirable.
Wat. The AI pathfinding is such a ridiculous improvement over SoM, it's insane.
The dog's bite is instant-kill on normal enemies and a huge help against bosses, unbalancing it even more (And yes, the dog is unbalanced. Bordering on gamebreaking) would be obscene.
>The story is mostly disconnected and a bad excuse to follow a straight line through the handful of stages only to face a last boss that wasn't built up.
The story has its problems, true. Subplots weren't followed through, villain characters appear and disappear and you've no idea what's going on... Either suffering from horrendous cuts, or badly written.

SoM's biggest issue is the difficulty curve for dungeon complexity - it rises suddenly with the swamp, then plateaus for much of the game. Huh?

And then, of course, dog maze. Fuck dog maze.

>> No.2188790

>>2188413
>It has two characters and doesn't bother to fix the AI issues of SoM

You're a fucking retard who obviously never played both of the games.

I quit SoM in the last fucking dungeon. Dropped at the speed of light. If I had to endure my party members getting stuck on a piece of fucking nothing one more time, and not letting me run any further because the screen is now held up and I die because now I'M fucking stuck on some shit, I'd have hunted down every cunt who worked on that piece of shit and blew their fucking brains out.

The dog can't get stuck on stuff like that. You can still move whether or not the dog is on screen. The pathfinding is exponentially better.

You're just retarded, fucking kill yourself.

>> No.2188806

>>2188790
you can prevent ever getting your allies stuck on the screen after the first one or two times it happens by not being an idiot and being just, the very slightest bit, patient.

Which is to say if you're in the final dungeon and this happens to you and you don't slap your forehead and go "d'oh, should have seen that coming" before resetting and finishing the game without a hitch right after, and instead you ragequit like a bitch, then you are probably a bitch, an idiot, and rather stupidly impatient, and you can suck a thousand dicks for your bad opinions.

>> No.2188813

Probably because it is clearly a knock-off of Secret of Mana.

Doesn't it not fun though.

>> No.2188831
File: 1.13 MB, 160x160, 1414549721456.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2184685
>I know it's easy to break the game and cheese everything

How?

>> No.2188872

I had the same problem with SoE as I did with Earthbound:

The game despite being quirky, felt entirely lifeless and boring.

Also its magic system.

>> No.2188962

>>2188831
Dog-casting Crush or any of the 1pt, 1pt alchemy spells, like Sting. You can literally destroy everything EASY if you grind a little and dog-cast Crush.

>> No.2189153

>>2188831
>>2188962
Pretty much what he said. Specifically
>Acquire hardball
>dog-chaincast it to insta-kill the paleolithic bosses
>acquire crush
>dog-chaincast it to insta-kill every other boss

Also, the characters gain invulnerability against bosses when using wings in a boss room.

And then, of course, there is glitching yourself to do max damage, have max evasion, and invincibility for the rest of the game in antiqua.

>> No.2189302

>>2184685
Non-english speaker here, rented it when I was a kid, wasn't very good at RPGs then but I catched up some used savefiles and explored what I could, liked the music and how different the areas in the game are.

Might play it again.

Also, most of you know but there is a nice 'creepypasta' of this game, check it out:

http://rainwoodworks.blogspot.mx/2010/09/secret-of-evermore-was-one-of-my.html

>> No.2189334

I mean... Secret of Mana is good but fairly generic, this game was surprisingly original. I loved this game. I need to get on replaying it soon.

>> No.2189340

>>2188831
Cast a buff spell. Save. Load. You're not buffed when you load but you're still under the effect of the buff. When it goes away, it will substract the buff amount from the corresponding stat. If you do it right and you double the stat with the buff, when it goes away it takes you into the negatives.
Except it rolls over and instead maxes out the stat.
I think that was it.

>> No.2189349

>>2188790
>retard
>retarded
>fucking kill yourself
People making fun of your murrica game makes you this mad, huh.
Also the dog can still get stuck or glitch out and do absolutely nothing. That is what wasn't fixed. It doesn't limit your movement but it's still annoying and a waste of a second character.

>> No.2190073

there was a lightheartedness and silliness to it that was very common in snes rpgs...and i really really miss that silliness.

Earthbound was a satire and it came out in the snes and it was basically the best rpg ever maybe. i miss the snes rpgs a lot.

FF7 was the last RPG i think that let itself be silly with hookers and stupid ass shit going on.

there;s an ff8 thread going on too and in my mind ff8 and chrono cross were the DEATH of rpgs in the sense that they went so emo and convuluted and pretentious. you could see it forming with the cloud character in ff7 but the didn't fully materialize in until a bit later in the psx era.

fuck rpgs now man. i love Evermore, man.

>> No.2190101

>>2190073
cultural drift is some heavy shit sometimes anon

>> No.2191937

>>2190073
Cloud still has a lot of silly moments though. Cloud is one of the better FF protagonists if you ask me, I'd even group him with Bartz and Zidane. It's only till AC that he takes on the emo persona we all hate.

I'd say that there are the same amount of silly JRPGs out there now than there was in the SNES era, it's just finding them is difficult. Can you even name any others besides EB and SoE?

>> No.2192904
File: 65 KB, 394x800, 96ebe9a44b991c3a241d6a3ff482e0ba.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2190073
>you could see it forming with the cloud character in ff7 but the didn't fully materialize in until a bit later in the psx era.
First of all don't forget about Vincent and Sephiroth that were already 100% emo in FFVII and FFVII itself was serious, convoluted and pretentious most of the time even if it had some silly stuff like crossdressing and snowboarding in it to balance it. The clouds you mentioned started forming during the late SNES era RPGs for example FFVI was very dark and serious (do remember Celes' suicide attempt, Cyan's family dying and of course the "end" of the world), Breath of Fire II was somewhat depressing crusade against the game's version of catholic church, etc...

However I do agree with you that it was during the later 5th gen / early 6th gen games where RPGs and games in general started taking themselves too seriously sucking out the silliness and fun out of them. As much as I love the games themselves FFVII and MGS were a big part of this change to "deeper" and "more mature" themes in video games and as >>2190101 pointed out everything becoming more serious, darker and mature was a cultural thing that was going on at the time (just take a look at the comic books from late 90s) and isn't something that only happened because of two game you try to vilify.

>> No.2192952

>>2192904
try not to make it sound like every game with a serious subject matter is a dumb idea.

that's kind of dumb anon.

>> No.2194027

>>2192952
I agree.

>> No.2194034

>>2192952
It's not that it's dumb, some are just poorly executed.

>> No.2194038

>>2194034
your historical perspective betrays the narrowness of your own actual experience. There are plenty of good games that lose nothing by being serious. You could have mentioned, say, Silent Hill 2

but you only play dumb jRPGs, and thats silly

>> No.2194047

>>2194038
not him but i dont like serious themes in games either, it's just personal preference man

>> No.2194053

>>2194038
>narrowness of your own actual experience
>but you only play dumb jRPGs

If you're going to tell someone to broaden their horizons then don't contradict yourself by making sweeping generalizations.

>> No.2194057

>>2192904
>FFVII itself was serious, convoluted and pretentious most of the time

There was nothing pretentious about FFVII and it spent more time goofing around than it did being serious. Hell, even with meteor looming over the skies it still had quite a few silly moments. Crazy chocobo lady shopper anyone?

>> No.2194068

>>2194053
that's not a sweeping generalization is a dismissive marginalization

learn to read you fucking mongoloid

>> No.2194074

>>2194068
Using insults just shows your lack of maturity. It's still a generalization if you consider all jrpgs to be dumb.

>>2194038
I've played nearly every genre of video games you can think of so my perspective is just fine(I consider SH2 to be the best in the series). I just like jrpgs the most, is that a crime?

>> No.2194082

>>2194074
it doesn't show a lack of maturity. a lack of maturity is shown when you believe some dumb fucker who says that kind of shit and you expect complete strangers to care about such nonsense on an anonymous message board

I'll put you down as much as I like because this isn't a debate, it's fucking funny, and I don't care about you as a person

suck it, faggot

also I didn't say jRPGs are bad, I specifically said that you play dumb ones because you have shit taste and you're a shit person and I fucked your mom

>> No.2194091

>>2184685
The music, graphics, and atmosphere in this game is much better than that in SoM in IMO. Alchemy system is broken but it's an interesting attempt to tread new ground in how magic is used. The plot is so-so but it's a breath of fresh air from the cliched stories about global cataclysms. What other game has an evil robot butler as a final boss?

>> No.2194098

>>2194082
Well, you just proved my point on maturity. One person does not decide whether other peoples' tastes are good or bad, such things are subjective. BTW: my mom said she didn't feel a thing.

>> No.2194530

>>2194057
>There was nothing pretentious about FFVII
FFVII claims to be "possibly the best game ever made" in the box it comes in so it's pretentious before you even start playing it.

>it spent more time goofing around than it did being serious
Please tell me about the silly/goofy moments during the following scenarios:
The whole Midgar scenario OUTSIDE the crossdressing part
What Cloud through happened at Nibelheim
Corel Prison
Cosmo Canyon and it's cave area
Everything after the temple of ancients up to the snowboarding scene
Everything after the snowboarding up to what actually happened at Nibelheim scene
Your second trip to Midgar

The point here that people like you only seem to remember the goofy moments from FFVII and keep saying that the entire game was silly and lighthearted based on them while at least half of the game is actually pretty serious. What if I were cherrypick some of the funnier, goofier and sillier moments and lines from serious as fuck game like FFVIII and tell you that the entire game was silly and lighthearted using that exact same logic? Would you agree with me or tell me I'm full of shit? If you picked the latter you should see my point here.

>> No.2194543

Each FF is serious from about a scale from 2-4 with none really reaching an extreme if you ask me, minus Type-O. There's some light-hearted and silly moments sprinkled throughout all. Don't act as if FFVII is the worst offender when it's not, to me if seems like you're just being plain biased. If you ask me, FFVI has "edgier" themes

>suicide
>genocide
>experimentation on sentient beings
>madman killing people for the fun of it
>end of the world
>Celes being beaten up
>town where all the kids' parents are dead
>Cyan writing to the woman who doesn't know that her lover died
>Terra being mind-controlled her entire life

Games just gradually became less sillier as they became more casual and seen as less of a kid/nerd thing.

>> No.2194615

>>2194543
>experimentation on sentient beings

Um, did you forget about Hojo?

>> No.2194630

>>2194615
Gestahl did it before it was cool.

>> No.2194642

>>2194630
I'm just saying that Hojo's experiments were far more perverse, such as the deal with Aerith's mother, attempting to breed Aerith with Red XIII, injecting alien cells into live subjects including his own unborn son, infusing Mako energy in humans. when you think about it he's the true villain of the game.

>> No.2194672

>>2194530
You can cherrypick to call the game serious or goofy.
The thing is, it's both.
Which makes this argument pretty funny from an outsider's perspective.

>> No.2194678

>>2194543
>Each FF is serious from about a scale from 2-4 with none really reaching an extreme if you ask me
>There's some light-hearted and silly moments sprinkled throughout
That was basically what I tried to say, all FFs (especially the ones from VI to X) have BOTH serious and sillier lighthearted moments in them. It just seems people often seem to forget about the more serious half of FFVII and the less serious parts of FFVI and FFVIII.

>to me if seems like you're just being plain biased
What if I'm simply someone who isn't ridiculously biased towards FFVII and sees it in more objective way?

>> No.2194694

>>2184685
One of the best games ever. Amazing soundtrack + dark/mysterious ambience. Need a remake ASAP. Doesn't need to be in 3D. 2D with improved graphics + expanded story/map is enough.

>> No.2194706 [DELETED] 
File: 7 KB, 486x451, 1418026721635.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2194694
>Need a remake ASAP
Go back to your Advent Children, Kingdom Hearts, Dissidia or whatever you learned everything about FFVII, it's story and characters from. Any real fan of FFVII knows that remake would be the worst thing to happen to FFVII and would remove everything that was so good about it in the first place.

>> No.2194709

>>2194706
The fuck? He's talking about SoE. You know, the game the thread is about.

>> No.2194715

>>2194709
Derp. Was talking about FFVII on another thread on another board. My bad. SoE actually could benefit from a remake even if it's fine the way it is IMHO.

>> No.2194728

>>2194706
>real fan
My sides.

>> No.2194748

One thing in Secret of Evermore that always has annoyed the fuck out of me was the fact that you had to gain the weapon levels for each individual weapon instead of the weapons of same type sharing levels like in Secret of Mana. This has always seemed a strange design choice to especially when SoE basically is an alternate take on SoM.

>> No.2194756

>>2194748
Perhaps the skills needed to wield a bone is different and not as intensive as that of a gladius.

>> No.2195806

>>2194748
A valid point, but the only weapon where levelling really matters is the first spear. After that, whatever. So not really a big deal.

And having an instant-levelled state of the art weapon available to make bossfights even easier... Uh, not a good idea.

Tbh, the Mana/ Evermore combat system with its waiting periods sucks. As much as I love Evermore's creativity, the combat system is well deserving of replacement.

>> No.2195976

>>2185398
One of the most underrated musics ever

>> No.2195991

>>2195976
What, did someone give it a low rating or something?

>> No.2196031

>>2184813
And he did guild wars which is the fucking bees pajamas

this is an icy mountain area, brilliant to use strings this way for a mountain game environment imo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSw0CyFYV4Q

>> No.2196038

>>2196031
forgot to add the other mountain track. not retro so that's it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUQFBzUoQxY