[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.34 MB, 1282x889, dragon_quest_iv.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2170914 No.2170914 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /vr/. What's that Japanese show that's essentially a parody of Dragon Quest?

Also, Dragon Quest thread. What's your favorite? I can never decide between 3 or 4. I love how 3 is essentially a prequel to everything. At the same time, I love how 4 has all the different stories that come together.

>> No.2170926

Going to try posting this again since apparently shit went down for a few.

>2170914
>What's that Japanese show that's essentially a parody of Dragon Quest?
The Hero Yoshihiko? I recall that being a parody of JRPGs in general, though Dragon Quest seems to get a lot of attention.

>What's your favorite?
Actually still kind of new to the series so my experiences have been limited so far (also a bit worried that the further down the rabbit hole I go, so to speak, the more annoyed with Square-Enix's current treatment of the series in the west I'll become, though I suppose as far as /vr/ goes that's not exactly here or there).

Which version of III is generally considered better: The localized GBC one, or the fan translated SNES one? That's one I've been meaning to give a try to sometime.

>> No.2170948

>>2170926
There actually isn't a consensus on which is better. They both have pros and cons.

I personally prefer the gbc version, It has some added content including monster medals and an added end game.

>> No.2170951

>>2170948
How's the translation quality of the GBC version?

>> No.2170957

>>2170926

Thanks! I couldn't remember the name of it for the life of me and it was driving me nuts.

I really can't decide which one's better when it comes to 3. With 4, though, I prefer the original to the remake. Just my personal taste.

>> No.2170964

>>2170914
>What's that Japanese show that's essentially a parody of Dragon Quest?

Dragon Ball Z

>> No.2170980

>>2170951
it's good

>> No.2171012
File: 16 KB, 530x576, 39728479.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

5's my fav, but I love 3 for the class designs, and 2 and 4 for the characters.

qt moon princess is my favorite

>> No.2171056

>>2170914
>Hey /vr/. What's that Japanese show that's essentially a parody of Dragon Quest?

Dragon Half? There are probably others.

>> No.2171125
File: 47 KB, 443x158, nipple.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There's a manga online that's bsically the story of DQ III IIRC. I still have to beat a DQ game, so I diidn't read it yet. It's made by 2ch anons. Here's the page to it, you may like it. It seems like it stopperd being updated, though.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/how-i-stalked-some-dude-with-an-exposed-nipple-and-stumbled-upon-the-zenithian-sword-r13196

>> No.2171528

the gbc ports of 1,2, and 3 are great they are my preferred versions

>> No.2171532

>>2171125
Ah, yeah, this manga is great.
It's very recommended to play Dragon Quest V before reading it, though.

>> No.2171540

>>2171056
The Hero Yoshihiko, dude!

>> No.2171545

There was a Dragon Quest anime

>> No.2171574

Anybody have a version recommendation chart to share?

I'm debating myself whether I should start a Dragon Quest series run-trough or a Final Fantasy one, perhaps alternate between the two to keep things fresh.

>> No.2171582

>>2171574
There's a Final Fantasy chart made by /vr/, but not one for Dragon Quest, however...

http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Quest

This was made by /v/ and it's regularly updated. Lots of good info, too.

>> No.2171584

>>2171574
Just play them, bro. It doesn't even matter.

>charts
this is not /mu/, seriously just go ahead and play

>> No.2171589

>>2171574
Play 1 and 2 of both first. Forget the rest.

>> No.2171595

Is this a DQ thread now?

In any case, am I the only one who thinks the character designs became really forgettable after V? The only exception to that is VIII.

>> No.2171603

>>2171545
I just watched that a month or so ago. It's not subbed, but I was able to understand it easily enough. The only thing is those Japanese spell names man, fuck that shit. Only ones I knew were the heal spells.

>> No.2171609

>>2171595
>The only exception to that is VIII.

Funny, I think VIII has the most forgettable character designs out of all DQs except for Yangus.

>> No.2171613

>>2171595
Toriyama has been out of prime after Chrono Trigger in terms of his character designs and art. I still remember how the Prince from VI looks like but I all comes down to "hey! that's Gohan!" or something like that. IV had the best character design btw

>> No.2171618

>>2171125
Wow, this is really good.

>> No.2171620

>>2171613
Well, it's good to know that I'm not crazy.

>> No.2171623

>>2171613
I think Toriyama's drawings of people have always had a bad case of sameface. His monster and vehicle designs are 10x better.

>> No.2171625

>>2171545
Three of them, actually.

Abel Yusha was a TV series
Roto no Monshou was movie
Dai no Daibouken had a TV series and three different movies

I only watched Dai, though. It aired in my country when I was a kid.

>> No.2171627

>>2171623
The thing is, if you would make me look at silhouettes of different DQ main characters before VI, I'd probably be able to tell you which one is which. Toriyama might've havd a problem with sameface, but at least he could design some good clothes for them.

>> No.2171639
File: 211 KB, 800x1164, url.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2170914
V is by far the best for me, great story, has monster that you can catch which increase the fucking replay value by hundred of hours.

>> No.2171647

>>2171623
oh, yes! Definitely. I can think of and remember a buttload of monsters from DQ and they still look better than most other RPGs. I still have fond memories of even DQ IX's monsters and they still look good on the DS.

>> No.2171651

>>2171625
>It aired in my country when I was a kid
In my country too, but only to that part when Fly's dad appears for the first time.

>> No.2171663

>>2170914
overall, V was the best. Great story, memorable characters, the fact that you can take in and build your own mini-DQ III team, marrying a woman and have kids to go around adventuring together, what's not to like?

VI was the darkest of the series though. The Dread World was pretty disturbing even for a DQ game and IX was a huge tear-jerker. III felt like it's supposed to be a lite western RPG and that's a good thing too

>> No.2171664

>>2171663
The lite western RPG angle makes sense, considering that's exactly what DQ was designed as in the first place.

>> No.2171675

>>2171664
A Wizardry game given an Ultima face but still

>> No.2171685

>tfw dq10 still not available outside of japland
>tfw literally bought a wii just for it

>> No.2171686

>>2171595
6 has great designs visually, but the game didn't define the characters a whole lot, which makes them forgettable.

>> No.2171693

>>2171686
Play the DS one, the party chat helped a lot.

>> No.2171695

>>2171685
is DQ X even popular around nipponland? people kept saying it's a MMO so it'll just crash and burn but then again it might just be them parroting /v/'s bullshit. I seen quite a few good stuff in there.

>tfw DQ VII in 3DS will never be translated

>> No.2171701

>>2171695
I'm still mad we didn't get it, what the fuck are they thinking not localizing a main series DQ? It's bad enough we didn't get the DQM remakes on 3DS. Fuck Squeenix. I bet they'll bring over FF15 though, the game none of us fucking want.

>> No.2171702

>>2171695
It seems like an interesting blend of VIII and XI but online.

It's still the only DQ game with a PC port, and it never even came out anywhere outside Japan. Also PC version has Wii graphics.

>> No.2171709

>>2171695
The mmo aspect makes me even more interested.
I'm a big mmo guy I raided endgame from vanilla to wrath. I've been raiding every week in ffxiv since 2.0.
I had wanted 9 to have netplay so bad so I could actually do the endgame the way it was intended, with others.
I was pretty upset how as an adult I couldn't find one person let alone 3 with a ds and the game who I could hang out with without their parents calling the cops on me.

>> No.2171718

>>2171701
in the end of the day, it's all business. DQ was surprisingly successful by the time VIII arrived stateside, sutre but it didn't hit big enough for it to justify the localization after VI. they probably have the mindset of weeaboos buying a huge amount of FF games that just eclipsed DQ sales or it's just the japanese liking to keep the best things for themselves. who knows. it's still a shame those huge games didn't get to see localizations anyway.

>> No.2171721

>>2171718
It's fucking free money. It cannot possibly cost much to fucking hire a few translators and hack english text into the game. Fan translators do this shit in their spare time. So what if you don't sell a million copies? If you're making a profit, you're fine. If the cost to make discs/carts is too high, release it digitally! FFS it's like they've never even finished a freshman marketing course.

>> No.2171838

>>2171721
I don't know why they refuse to put their shit on the psn either

>> No.2171876

>>2170914
V is the best. IV close behind.

>> No.2171923

>>2171528
Why? They are just watered down ports of the SNES versions. I can't remember if they throw in an extra bonus dungeon or not, but it's not worth the downgrade in graphics imo.

>> No.2171926
File: 63 KB, 256x360, Dragon_Quest_VIII_Journey_of_the_Cursed_King.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Even if it's not /vr/ I got to say VIII is definitely my favorite, followed by V, VI and IV respectively

Gonna try VII3DS soon

>> No.2171930

I think 4.

I also really loved 5 but I felt worn out from it by the end.

>> No.2171931

I tried to play the Dragon Quest series in order for the first time last year.
Went through I, II, III, IV, V and VI but got stuck on VII. That gigantic prologue, man.

Someday...

>> No.2171934

>>2171931
>got stuck on VII. That gigantic prologue, man.

It's funny how that section is one of the hardest parts of the series to get through even though there's not a single enemy in it. It took me 3 hours the first time. I was so fucking bored.

>> No.2171939

>>2171931
Once you get through get ready for a long ass adventure that is extremely engaging. I played it a few months back all the way through, it was nice.

>> No.2171968

>>2171595
>Is this a DQ thread now?

Since the first post.
>Also, Dragon Quest thread.

>> No.2171969

>>2171968
I was on painkillers when I wrote that, sorry.

>> No.2171991

I've never played a DQ game. I was thinking of picking up the GBC remakes. Are they a good place to start?

>> No.2172005

>>2171991
I'd risk saying that any DQ is a good place to start. One of their selling points is that all the games are pretty consistent with a simple system that you can easily get into.
Newer games add bits and pieces but the basics remain.
As long as you don't mind the graphics (some people do, only reason I bring that up), yeah, those are fine options.
For the "second trilogy" the DS remakes are pretty good even though the accents are a bit annoying, though they're luckily mostly gone from DQ6.

7 is probably the hardest sell given its length, it can be a bit taxing. 8 revamps things a bit with the perspective, graphics and voices... but the gameplay is still essentially the same.

DQ4 is, in my opinion, the best introductory game since the game itself is built in a few ways as a tutorial. You start out with the plainest of warriors, then you learn to manage a full party, you take some time off with the "fun" character type and then you learn how harsh life can be for magic users on their own. And finally you get the all-rounder Hero and pick up party members one by one to use as you please.

>> No.2172009

>>2171991
IV DS is the best intro. Classic gameplay without the extreme grinding or dullness.

>> No.2172027

>>2171693
It did not. At all. Chamoro's lines made him even more boring than he seemed, Muriel just had generic older sister lines and a lot of I SENSE AURAS. Amos is a joke. Terry takes WAY too long to get into the party for me to care about him.
Hassan I always found a bit more likeable because he actually gets some story done on screen with his parents and all. His lines are "generic musclehead" and didn't change my impression of him a whole lot.
Barbara's lines made her into an airhead which was NOT a welcome change, but she was still engaging as a character only because I've finished the game before a few times. And you know.

DQ6 is just too diluted. It has some GREAT story ideas and a bunch of fun locations, but it doesn't chain them well enough to make it feel like a cohesive story. That point of the game where you're told to "find yourself" is just the worst as it's the most vague thing you could be doing, not even bothering to establish that there's Fiends all over the damn place. You keep having to follow vague clues that get you new transportation items that keep opening more of the world but never give you an actual direction.

And you could be getting "moments" for characters that give you some momentum towards the next location or whatever, but you never do. Amos and his village never changes after you solve his deal. Chamoro gives you the ship and then does nothing at all for the entire game. Muriel has a pretty damn interesting backstory that you only find if you ask around in one far away town that is either skippable or not that relevant at all. She joins the party "BECAUSE" and never says anything about herself again.
The characters COULD work but they lack the pathos that DQ5 or 4 or 3 or 2 or 1 characters have. Something went wrong in DQ6.
I still love the game, its music, its graphics, the class system, the dungeons. But the characters and story as a whole feel weak.

>> No.2172330

>>2172027
it gets better in the late game. it felt like a slow-building story which gets some traction as it goes on, which will be clearer as you reach the end. It's full of plotholes like the dragon and Muriel's ocarina at the beginning (that could solve WAY more problems than anything) but that was never used again because LOL pegasus.

It had the most melancholic tone in DQ music and some of the grindiest, albeit toughest fights of the trilogy though. The return of the class system of DQ III was probably the most refreshing thing in the game

>> No.2172405

>>2171991
Gbc remake of 3 is my all time favorite dq.

>> No.2172443

>>2171675
Even the graphics in Japanese DQ1 remind me of Ultima. It's pretty much slightly more detailed Ultima with more colors.

>> No.2172459

DQ is my favorite RPG series, and what got me into the genre with VIII.

So far i've only played the DS remakes of IV, V and VI, half of VII (i plan on starting anew in the future, once i get a PS1 and a copy of it, since playing huge games like this on a emulator sucks), VIII and IX. I plan on playing the original trilogy sometime, but i've never had played a classic RPG before, so i'm a bit too hesitant to play them.

My favorites (i can't just choose a single game) are probably the IV-VI trilogy, all for different reasons.

>IV
For the characters, all which are pretty damn fun.
>V
For the story and feels.
>VI
Because i found the whole multiple dimensions thing to be pretty cool.

>> No.2172469

>>2172459
Also, forgot to mention dem waifus for V.