[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 69 KB, 480x360, 243424379_53aa388133.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2170674 No.2170674[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Got any bad missed deals stories /vr/? I got one for ya.

So I've been saving up for a Net Yaroze for a few weeks right? There's two on ebay, one for about 600 shipped boxed and everything, another one with just the unit itself for 360 shipped. In just one more paycheck I would've had enough to get the cheaper one and someone fucking buys it. Okay whatever, I'll save up a little longer and get the nicer one. Nope fuck me that one gets sniped the very next day.

There's 3 left. A lot with the NY, a blue debug unit, and a green debug unit for 800. But no NY controllers or anything. Just the systems. I might try to haggle with the guy since he lives pretty close to me just for the NY but I wanted at least a controller too.

There's another complete one in hong kong for. 2 fucking grand even though it's exactly the same as the 600 dollar one that sold last week. Then there's another complete VGA graded one (fuck that bullshit so hard) for 3500 and since the guy has it VGA graded there's no way he's coming down on price.

Let's hear em /vr/.

>> No.2170679

You're upset over a deal when you've only been looking for 2 weeks?

I mean shit I've been collecting for years and have missed out on deals that I have been bugging the guy about for sometimes a year or more.

I'd sit on it for awhile and decide if you really want to be in this hobby. A lot of people are jumping on the wagon right now and finding out they don't like the ride.

>> No.2170707

Working on sniping a game right now, will post again later with disappointing results.

>> No.2170710

>>2170679
in the hobby of buying video games..? why are you turning this into a dick measuring contest about how long you were waiting to buy something? how is missing 2 deals and him being slightly bummed about it indicative of whether or not he should continue to buy video games or not? jesus you old fag collectors and the fucking high horses you ride on really chap my ass.

anyway, I go in a pawnshop with some buddies, not really expecting much and I see a model 1 genesis+model 1 sega cd. I'm amped at this point, so we take it down to test it out, with the copy of ecco the dolphin they had. and the fucking thing wouldn't even power on and they wanted $75 for it. the genesis by itself worked but they only wanted to sell it if they were both together. not exactly heartbreaking, but it pretty vexing. if they wanted 75 for it broken I don't even know what they would've asked for if it worked.

>> No.2170735

>>2170710
Has nothing to do with how long you've been "collecting". You go into any hobby and say "damn I've been looking for 2 weeks and missed out" and you'll be looked at like you really don't give a shit about the hobby.

You can be a younger person like yourself. I'll like you the same as someone from the 80s/90s. Or older even. I like the older guys they always have neat 1st gen stuff to show off.

As for the SEGA stuff that might not had been a bad deal. Depends on the shape/revision.

>> No.2170741

>>2170707
yep lost my bid for Goemons Great Adventure
even better is my browser crashed in the last minute making me lose out by 50 cents

>> No.2170751

>Be me approx 4-5 years ago
>Working at call center in mall adjacent to hobby shop
>Have known the owners for years
>Go there on lunch break to browse retro game section
>Look in case
>"Eathbound in box with players guide"
>Price tag is $90
>No credit card at time and about $40 left in bank account for the next 2 days
>Beg owner to hold it for me
>Says he can't because he's already had a slew of people asking about it
>Payday comes around
>Rush over
>Am told that guy had just walked out with it
>Sad5ever

>> No.2170775

>An Amiga 500 with monitor, keyboard, mouse, floppy drive and 55+ collection of games for $200
>Sold by the time I came back to visit my folks and maybe pick it up

Fuck me.

>> No.2170779

Turbo Duo RX sold for $350 with all the hookups on eBay a month or two ago and I didn't have the money for it at the time.

>> No.2170925

>>2170735
OP here, I've been looking at those two for a really long time, like a little bit over a year. I just found it ironic that once I felt financially comfortable enough to actually put money away to buy one that's when someone else decided they wanted it as well. I've been collecting seriously for about 4 years now, worse things have happened before heh.

>> No.2171147

Years ago I lost a $400 bid war over a complete Nintendo Entertainment System Deluxe Set. You know, the one w/ R.O.B.

Glad I lost. Thing is plastic shit.

Best thing you can get for the NES is the original Player's Guide. Fun as hell to read.

>> No.2171153

>>2170779
Hate it when that shit happens. I feel ya bro

>> No.2171173

Being an american I had never heard of the sega master system until much after its release. Long story short i saw one for 10 dollars with all the hookups at a local swapmeet and passed because i had already bought a few things. Still plagues me to this day

>> No.2171185

tfw missed out on 150 euro neo geo AES
no games and only 1 controller but still

>> No.2171195

missed a sealed saturn console at walmart for 40 bux back when sega gave up on it

>> No.2171196

>>2170674

why would you broadcast where to buy a rare thing you want.

What if any of us decide we want one and go and grab them

>> No.2171203

>>2170674
Were you actually going to use the Net Yaroze to develop games? Or were you just going to lock it in your temperature controlled curio cabinet?

>> No.2171219

>>2170674
Missed out on:
>Atari 2600 with like 20 boxed games
>Collecovision in box with like 20 boxed games
>Intellivision in box with like 8 boxed games
>Sega Saturn and a handful of games
>Like 20 boxed N64 games
>Sega Genesis console and like 3 or 4 boxed games
Guy was asking 200.

I replied 1 hour after he posted saying I could come get it tonight (he posted at 9pm, lived 15 minutes away from me, I just had to hit the ATM and go there, which I said in the email, and I probably shouldn't have)

Gone the next morning.