[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 4 KB, 160x144, Imakuni.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2167145 No.2167145 [Reply] [Original]

For some reason, I occasionally get the urge to play video games that use cards as the main vehicle for gameplay. It can be:

1. Games that are actual representations of card games
2. Games that are of a different genre (action usually) but still have cards functioning as equipment or abilities

This is the only one I remember that qualifies as retro. It was actually a really solid game and felt better balanced than real Pokemon, plus it didn't take nearly as much time and money as the real Pokemon CCG.

>> No.2167161
File: 49 KB, 457x450, 1415556030946.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Arabian Nights: Sabaku no Seirei Ou (SNES)
Probably not quite what you're looking for, but it's a JRPG where your party can collect cards which it can use in a battle to put some global effect into play (enemy party takes X elemental damage every turn, allies get healed every turn, etc). The twist is that every random encounter and boss can also use cards to the same effect, and knock your cards out of play with a card of a higher level. The game itself is pretty fun, with an unique setting based on Arabic mythology.

>Yu-Gi-Oh! Dark Duel Stories (GBC)
Imbalanced and not the best way to learn the game if you haven't played it before (the rules are quite different), but the best /vr/ emulation of Yu-Gi-Oh I could think of. There are also the Duel Monsters games, but I haven't played them.

>MicroProse's Magic The Gathering (PC)
A mix between an adventure game and as full of a Magic: the Gathering experience one could have at the time of the release. The best MTG game ever.

>Etherlords (PC)
One year off from being retro, but don't hate. It's an unique mix between Heroes of Might and Magic and a Magic the Gathering-esque card game. During your turn you can explore strategic maps, capture buildings, use global spells etc, but instead of armies, your heroes have decks of cards representing creatures, spells and other standard TCG fare, which they use for battle when they encounter neutral creatures and enemy heroes, in a card game not dissimilar to MTG or Yu-Gi-Oh.

>> No.2167176

>>2167145
Japanese version English patched. I have it on my psp.

>> No.2167420

>>2167145
You'd love the latest wave of smartphone games here in Japan. It's just cardgames cardgames cardgames and cardgames all over again.

It bores me to death becaues it's just the same formula used over again, and it rarely if ever feels as if you're in control of the battles too them being often automated.

That being said your pic related game is pretty ok.

>> No.2167475
File: 37 KB, 280x280, 1354563-cardfighterscapcom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There is also the SNK Card Fighters Clash game tough it has some serious balance issues.

>Very large first turn advantage
>Some cards like Akuma are ridiculous overpowered

>> No.2170102

>>2167161
Thanks. I dunno what it is about these games that brings out some sort of giddiness in me.

>>2167420
I've probably played some of them, along with the Korean ones. They aren't very good, no, and when you find a decent one it always has some fatal flaw like you find out there was really no way to ever lose. But I keep downloading them, somehow.

>> No.2170119

>>2167161
>The best MTG game ever

It has crippling game breaking bugs and exploits. Have you even played any Duels of the Planeswalkers games to make such a ridiculous claim?

>> No.2170129

I don't know if you know this, but the second Pokemon TCG game was recently translated.

>> No.2170146

>>2170129
Source?

>> No.2170163

>>2170146
http://artemis251.fobby.net/pkmntcg2/index.html

>> No.2170180

>>2170119
It had proper deck editing and no pay-2-win DLC.

>> No.2170189

>>2170180
And crash-to-desktop-delete-save-data bugs and you can tap your opponent's mana at any time.

>pay to win DLC
Did you even play ACTUAL MTG? The irony of your statement us boggling.