[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 169 KB, 640x479, fallout2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2160365 No.2160365 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /vr/ whats your favorite Fallout game?
Mine is pic related

>> No.2160372

Fallout 1 was the better, more tightly designed game overall, with better pacing and atmosphere, but Fallout 2 was a great sandbox game for "living" and dicking around in, on par with TES games I'd say. I spent way more time playing Fallout 2 so I'd say it's my favorite.

>> No.2160380

New Vegas. I have only beaten 1 from the retro ones. I wonder how tactics is, it's pretty much the only wild card left for me in the series.

>> No.2160381

>>2160372
Agreed.

I also just started playing Wasteland 1 a week ago, and I'm addicted. I'm about 2/3 through the game already. It's like the Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake of the Fallout world.

Anyway, Tactics was meh. The combat system really wasn't strong enough to sustain the entire game, which is quite lengthy.

Both Fallout 3 and New Vegas were massive disappointments. Fallout 3 felt more like an Elder Scrolls game, and New Vegas felt like a fan mod.

>> No.2160389

>>2160365
Fallout 1 and New Vegas are my favs.

>>2160380
If you like games like Jagged Alliance you will probably have a good time with it.

>> No.2160424

>>2160381
Bethesda's strength really isn't writing, it's more populating a massive world with little bits of interesting things all over, which is exactly how F3 turned out. Setting out and discovering the Deathclaw sanctuary and other places like that was great, actually doing the quests given, not so much.

On topic, I still think 1 is the best for being the most coherent of the games. Everything has a purpose and connection to the world, all of it comes together in a great way. It's only real flaw relative to the rest of the series is that it's short.

>> No.2160429

In terms of story

Fallout 1 > New Vegas > Fallout 2 > Tactics >>>>>> Fallout 3

In terms of gameplay and game content

Fallout 2 = New Vegas > Fallout 1 > Tactics > Fallout 3

My overall favorite is Fallout 2. It's as close to a perfect open world RPG as I've seen yet. It dumps the player into a big world and says "good luck." No quest markers, no hand-holding, and over 95% of the content isn't even necessary to finish the story as evidenced by the 17 minute speedrun. New Vegas is a nice game and the mods are great, but it's still dragged down too much by Fallout 3's baggage to compete with Fallout 2.

It does blow 3 out of the water, though.

>> No.2160452

The interface in them is far too awful for me to get past.

>> No.2160475

>>2160452

What? Fallout has a great interface, especially compared to what came before it. The only thing that's a little clunky is changing cursors with the RMB and having to hold it down for the context menu. What issues are you having with the interface?

>> No.2160478

The side quests in 1 suck but it may have the best main story.

>> No.2160485

>>2160452

You can't honestly be a fan of retro gaming and think that Fallout has a terrible interface.
>>>/v/
saged

>> No.2160493

>>2160452
What the fuck are you talking about? The interface was fine. You'd use hotkeys for common actions, and the mouse for the rest. Having descriptions appear on the bottom was fluid and non-obtrusive, and it worked just fine for skills and combat.

>> No.2160498

What's that thing in the front? It's... it's not a pony, is it?

>> No.2160504

>>2160452

Someone didn't read the manual.

>> No.2160508

>>2160498

I... think it is, now that I look closer.

OP, what the actual fuck are you doing posting pony shit?

>> No.2160527

>>2160429
1 has the worst gameplay by far. Half the skills are useless because of extremely rare opportunities to use them. The RNG will be your only enemy at some point. It's also retry till it works with barely any penalties. You can't fuck around even remotely as much as in the other games. The companion system is too limited and they are retarded as fuck too. Not to mention that you can freely loot all houses in front of the residents and a completely fucked inventory system where items from merchants can only be accessed in trades and traded bottlecaps disappear. A gameplay limitation because sneaking is fucked. You're deluding yourself if you think the oldest game can keep up gameplay-wise.

>> No.2160539
File: 487 KB, 960x480, ponyponyyyyyyyy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2160508
>>2160498

>> No.2160545

>>2160539
>mlp
>2015

>> No.2160551

>>2160539
H-How? Why? Why someone would do this?

>> No.2160575

>>2160381
See, if I had a Fallout game that would allow me to control my entire squad, not just my character, it would be a godlike game. Because when you can control only your characters, your tactical options are limited and sometimes even more so if the stupid friendly AI runs straight into your line of fire.

A game combining combat mechanics from Fallout and Silent Storm, while keeping the open-world feel of Fallout 2 would be amazing.

>> No.2160598

>>2160527
Why are you even on /vr/?

>> No.2160602

>>2160475
The belt inventory is not a good way to "organize" things, not now, not at the time. Also, spending 4 AP to open the inventory and then do whatever you want is really cheesy.

>> No.2160618

>>2160598
Why are you and your people abusing the board specification for your incomprehensible intentions?

A direct comparison is a direct comparison. Fallout 1 doesn't get a free pass because it's retro or your favorite game.

>> No.2160632

>>2160575
How about Jagged Alliance 2?

>> No.2160665

>Finished:
-Fallout 2
-Fallout: New Vegas
>Played a lil bit but never finished
-Fallout
-Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel
-Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel on PS2
-Fallout 3

My fave would be 2. I played it the most, one of the first games that I really liked as a kid

>> No.2160670

Youtube.com/watch? v=7_zLu8Y1y4s

>> No.2160829

>>2160527

>Half the skills are useless because of extremely rare opportunities to use them

You could say the same for 2. Outdoorsman? Gambling? 2 does have more places to use the useless skills, but they're still few and far between.

>The RNG will be your only enemy at some point.

And? The same happens in 2, and to some extent all the games.

>You can't fuck around even remotely as much as in the other games.

And? Everyone knows this. It's a trade off between content and story - Fallout got story, Fallout 2 got content.

>The companion system is too limited and they are retarded as fuck too.

They're literally just other NPCs. It's a bit limited, sure, but they make sense. They're other people from the game world that follow you around and shoot things, not the unstoppable, death-dealing pack mules of later games.

>Not to mention that you can freely loot all houses in front of the residents

That is a problem, technically, but it barely affects the game at all.

>and a completely fucked inventory system where items from merchants can only be accessed in trades and traded bottlecaps disappear.

There you go needlessly trying to inject realism into a video game. That's for some semblance of game balance, else you could rob all the merchants blind and/or kill them for everything.

Game balance kinda went out the window in Fallout 2, but Fallout clearly made an effort for it.

>A gameplay limitation because sneaking is fucked.

Sneaking works fine. Stop trying to sneak in front of people and invest some skills in it if you really want to sneak.

>You're deluding yourself if you think the oldest game can keep up gameplay-wise.

Aside from a few conveniences and a lack of content, it's basically the same as Fallout 2.

>> No.2160847

>>2160575

>See, if I had a Fallout game that would allow me to control my entire squad, not just my character, it would be a godlike game.

Fallout Tactics.

Not /vr/, but Wasteland 2 also fits that bill.

>>2160602

>The belt inventory is not a good way to "organize" things, not now, not at the time.

It's a little clunky if you want to organize, but it works.

>Also, spending 4 AP to open the inventory and then do whatever you want is really cheesy.

Firstly, that's not an interface issue, that's a game mechanic.

Secondly, I think stopping in a fight to open your backpack or dig in your pockets would realistically take a bit of time. If you could just open your inventory mid-fight with no penalties, the game would be even easier.

Thirdly, it's not really all that big of a deal, especially if you have a high AGL character. If it annoys you that much, get the Quick Pockets perk to reduce it to 2 AP.

>> No.2160886

Definitely 2 despite all its flaws. Fallout 1 feels underdeveloped when I go back to it. A lot of towns barely have anything going on in them, almost all the NPC's are forgettable and there's just an overall lack of content. I like the story and serious tone of the first game but the journey through the world itself wasn't as memorable or fun as it was in Fallout 2.

>> No.2160907 [DELETED] 

fallout 1 as it had much more interesting quests and more interesting locations and main objective doesnt feel like searching for a needle in the haystack (geck quest) also better plot more interesting main villain with whom you can side with (game is not self righteous)

>> No.2160909

>>2160907
>game is not self righteous
You mean besides the fact that the villain is blatantly wrong?

>> No.2160921

fallout 1 as it had much more interesting quests and more interesting locations and main objective doesnt feel like searching for a needle in the haystack (geck quest) also better plot more interesting main villain with whom you can side with (game is not self righteous)

fallout 2 often feels like a theme park, that feels like there is nothing interesting and grand going in there and without any strong direction
no wonder hardcore RPG players called fallout 2 shit for being money grubbing rip-off of fallout 1 when it was released

>> No.2160936

>>2160847
>>Also, spending 4 AP to open the inventory and then do whatever you want is really cheesy.

Firstly, that's not an interface issue, that's a game mechanic.

>Secondly, I think stopping in a fight to open your backpack or dig in your pockets would realistically take a bit of time. If you could just open your inventory mid-fight with no penalties, the game would be even easier.

>Thirdly, it's not really all that big of a deal, especially if you have a high AGL character. If it annoys you that much, get the Quick Pockets perk to reduce it to 2 AP.

I'm not that other guy but I don't think you get the point.

It feels cheesy because if you spend 4 AP, or 2 with the perk, it doesn't seem realistic, or rather fair, that you can just use like 30 stimpaks in a row without spending any additional AP. Not to mention other things you can do in your inventory, like taking the chance to reload your weapon at no cost while you're at it.

>> No.2160960

>>2160936

It is a bit cheesy, but the line does have to drawn somewhere. It would be silly to not penalize the player at all, but on the flipside it would be anti-fun to penalize the player constantly. I mean, maybe it could be free to open the inventory and then doing anything in there would cost AP, but then you get into coding and tech difficulties of the time combined with the end result of being a pain in the ass for the player.

It may be a bit cheesy, but the in-game implementation is probably the best balance of punishing the player and actually letting them have fun. I never had a problem with the 4 AP cost of accessing the inventory and I never thought it was punishing or did it really impede enjoyment of the game.

>> No.2160968

>>2160921

>with whom you can side with (game is not self righteous)

You can technically side with him (portrayed as just giving up), but it's still a NSGO and is quite clearly made out to be the bad ending.

>feels like there is nothing interesting and grand going in there and without any strong direction

It's called an open world.

The start of the game is trying to help your village. This is YOUR grand quest, certainly, but the rest of the world doesn't even know Arroyo exists. Of course nobody cares, they have their own issues to deal with. This helps immersion and makes the world believable.

There really isn't anything grand going on until the end, and even then most people were blissfully unaware of the Enclave since anyone who saw them was for the most part either killed or captured. Their main base was an old offshore drilling platform, which doesn't exactly command attention from people who don't leave sight of the shore.

>no wonder hardcore RPG players called fallout 2 shit for being money grubbing rip-off of fallout 1 when it was released

That is a somewhat understandable viewpoint, but honestly a very a misguided one.

>> No.2161569

>>2160539
You have sinned.

Anyway.

Fallout>Fallout 2>Fallout New Vegas>Wasteland 2> BOS: Tactics>Wasteland>Fallout 3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Brotherhood of Steel

That being said, 1, 2, and NV are all really close to me. NV fixes the skills, but it just doesn't hold my interest. F2 has the gameplay and just fun. F1 has the story and cohesiveness, and it doesn't take fucking forever to beat.

>> No.2161636

>>2160452
12-year-old detected

>> No.2161936

>>2160452
Fallout's UI was a piece of artwork
>Except for Stat explanations in the inventory; even I can't decode those moonrunes most of the time.
>Doesn't help that you're usually playing Pin-The-Tail-On-The-AP-Ammo-Patch

The Fallout game's UI has aged EXCEPTIONALLY well, and kinda put its' peers like Baldur's Gate and Planescape to shame.

>> No.2162117

the probably most disappointing thing about fallout 2 is that in previous game you could have chosen to side with the main villain, yet fallout 2 ignores that and you can start playing only with a descendant of the character who choose to kill the master

its just quite boring and uninteresting manner, instead of choosing more creative approach developers choose the easy way out and once again made their game more self-righteous

>> No.2162124

>>2162117
But it wouldn't make sense giving you the option of joining the Enclave, the Chosen One is completely against everything they believe. A dirty, inferior mutant and nothing will ever change it.

>> No.2162128

It seems like Fallout, like Pokemon, is one of the few series where /vr/ may admit that the newer games are better. But no matter how I tried, neither F3 or the vaunted New Vegas managed to hold my attention for long. Is there actual merit to these games I've missed? Or these threads just attract modern gamers because the original series aren't nearly as widely known and played as 3 and NV, hallmarks of modern gaming?

>> No.2162137

>>2162128
>It seems like Fallout, like Pokemon, is one of the few series where /vr/ may admit that the newer games are better.
I really disagree with this specially regarding pokemon, i hate the guts of the new pokemon games with passion.

And you probably couldn't handle the FPS change so it's fine, don't worry about it. Just read about what happens in New Vegas somewhere, they add some good things to the fallout lore. Completely ignore Fallout 3 though because the writing in that game was pants-on retarded.

>> No.2162138

>>2162137
It makes me wonder, since the FOnline engine is open source, would recreating New Vegas in it technically be possible?

>> No.2162141

>>2162128
F3 is irredeemable shit, but NV is actually a pretty solid game (install mods that remove orange filter and make nights darker, helps atmosphere a ton). If New Vegas wasn't made on fucking worst engine ever, it would be on par with F2 imo

My pleb ranking of Fallouts for the kicks
F1>F2>NV>Tactics>>>>>>>>>>>>>F3=BOS

>> No.2162163

>>2162128
>It seems like Fallout, like Pokemon, is one of the few series where /vr/ may admit that the newer games are better.

The only Pokemon games worth playing is GSC, FireRed/Leaf Green, Platinum and Black/White. So in a way, you are correct.

>> No.2162191

>>2162128
New Vegas has some pretty nice quests and decent writing as long as you stick to the main path without trying to explore. The combat can be okay if you're willing to fuck around with the various toys you're given instead of just shooting enemies. I didn't get too into it either, though. It didn't feel like a Fallout game at all and had an extremely dull atmosphere that made me feel sleepy.

>> No.2162194
File: 79 KB, 500x300, kingarthursknights.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2160452
lrn2hotkey, kiddo.

>> No.2162285

Of the old ones? Tactics.

I did not have the patience to get into the interface and combat of 1 or 2, it all felts super clunky and unintuitive. Maybe I've just been casualized by later games, but I swear Baldur's Gate was a billion times easier to play.

Tactics didn't have much at all in terms of interpersonal interactions, there was basically no choices, basically, it was combat focused, and I think it was fine at that, I had fun with it, even if I think it lacked a lot of those role playing aspects. There was just something intensely fun about a character hipfiring half a belt of .50BMG into a crowd of thugs and watching the blood and guts fly.

Of the new ones, New Vegas hands down, if anything because the writing and characters are a billion times better than in FO3 (I had fun with FO3, but the plot was super retarded), but also because I'm a /k/ommando at heart and loved the gunplay and handloading. A .45-70 Brushgun loaded with Semi-Wadcutters was one of my go-to guns, along with the .308 battlerifle.

>> No.2162337

>>2162117
>>2162124
Yeah, you can be evil in Fallout 2, but the Enclave will never want you no matter what. You're what they're trying to kill.

>The F3 redid the exact same story and made it so you could.

>> No.2162345

>>2162128

Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns and it shits on the lore incessantly.

New Vegas is a good Fallout game that had to be made in Fallout 3's festering corpse.

Both have mods that can make the game fun (in Fallout 3's case) or more fun (for New Vegas).

I wouldn't say New Vegas is better than the originals, but there is no doubt that Fallout 3 is the worst game in the canon series.

>> No.2162347

>>2162285
>There was just something intensely fun about a character hipfiring half a belt of .50BMG into a crowd of thugs and watching the blood and guts fly.

You could do that in 1 and 2, only with miniguns or the Bozar instead. Tactics only added a few things to combat. They didn't reinvent the whole system.

>> No.2162350

>>2162117

>the probably most disappointing thing about fallout 2 is that in previous game you could have chosen to side with the main villain, yet fallout 2 ignores that and you can start playing only with a descendant of the character who choose to kill the master

If the Vault Dweller sided with The Master, there wouldn't be a Fallout 2. The Master's ending was a non-standard game over and quite plainly made out to be the bad ending.

>instead of choosing more creative approach developers choose the easy way out

There's "the easy way out" and then there's "the other way is completely infeasible."

>and once again made their game more self-righteous

I don't think you understand what self-righteous means.

>> No.2162352

>>2162347
>They didn't reinvent the whole system.
Says you. The real time combat felt a billion times smoother and intuitive than the turn based shit.

In my own casual opinion.

Also, I liked the realistic weapons in Tactics more than a lot of the weapons in FO1 and FO2.

>> No.2162358

My favorite is Fallout 3, but I am trying to get into Fallout 1 now.

>> No.2162359

>>2162352

Wait, you actually used the real time mode?

You perplex me.

>> No.2162365

Fallout 1. It is focused, semi-linear, not too long, and self-contained.

Other games are ok, but I've never finished any of them because I lose interest eventually.

>> No.2162383

>>2162345
the only thing they did in nv was add ironsights. dont try and act like nv was at all innovative, it was the same fucking shit as both 3 and oblivion but in an even more uninteresting environment. also nv's storyline wasn't any better either. no fallout is well known for a 'good story' and some western themed garbage in the future isn't exactly some solid base to build on top of.

if this were /v/ i would ask you to ellaborate on how 3 is 'unplayable' or 'not fun', but even if we were on /v/ i am relatively sure you couldn't pull anything out of your ass to justify your shitty hivemind opinion you and other memebros perpetuate. new vegas is so overhyped and i am tired of faggots like you taking every chance you can to hype that shit up like your salary depends on it.

>> No.2162390

>>2162359
Yeah, shit felt so much better that way, no clunky turnbased shit or anything, I made vague plans, and executed them to the best of my ability in real time.

Was it harder? Sure, but it felt so much better, so much smoother, so much more challenging and rewarding.
It was like playing Baldur's Gate without the pause button and most of the enemies have ranged weapons, some with so much power as to decimate most, or even all of your health if you weren't careful.

Also, anyone who says Fallout controls just like Baldur's Gate is full of shit, Baldur's Gate is much smoother, easier, no drop down context menus or any of that shit, you right clicked at an enemy, and that would tell your character to go and whack that dude in the face with his mace. You want to talk to an NPC? You left click on them.

>> No.2162414

>>2162390

The turn-based mode isn't clunky. It works just fine.

>Also, anyone who says Fallout controls just like Baldur's Gate is full of shit,

I've never played Baldur's Gate, so I wouldn't know.

>no drop down context menus

Those are entirely optional in Fallout. All of their functions outside of the inventory can be accessed without them. They're just a shortcut/convenience.

>you right clicked at an enemy, and that would tell your character to go and whack that dude in the face with his mace. You want to talk to an NPC? You left click on them.

So using the RMB to cycle between 2 or 3 different cursor modes was too complex?

>> No.2162419

>>2162383
this bait is old and no one is falling for it anymore, sorry. try bothering someone in /fog/, they're so bored and dead all day that they'll be happy to bite

>> No.2162440

>>2162383

>the only thing they did in nv was add ironsights

0/10

>but in an even more uninteresting environment.

Fallout isn't about having an "interesting environment," it's about having a cohesive world that makes sense and fits together. 3 had a world where every location seemed to have been made to be as unique and different as possible, such that none of them seemed to fit into the world around them.

>also nv's storyline wasn't any better either.

0/10

>no fallout is well known for a 'good story'

Except the first one and, of course, New Vegas.

>and some western themed garbage in the future

There are some Western-themed bits, but it's not a major aspect of the game generally. It's just there, pardner.

Also, 0/10.

>if this were /v/ i would ask you to ellaborate on how 3 is 'unplayable' or 'not fun'

It's entirely playable. It's also subjectively fun.

>> No.2162449

>>2162419

not that guy, but before i came here, i always thought everyone liked FO3 more except idiots like my casual friends who were like "it has way more guns its so much better".

I always like FO3 better.

but they both fucking sucked

>> No.2162456

>>2162414
>Those are entirely optional in Fallout. All of their functions outside of the inventory can be accessed without them. They're just a shortcut/convenience.
I never liked the idea of having to press a bunch keyboard keys when playing isometric games, in games like Starcraft, Diablo, Baldur's Gate, and so many others, there's buttons and all on the menu and interface, to have to press buttons on a keyboard for that kind of game, it just feels backwards to me, I don't know how to explain it, it feels unnatural to not be able to play most of a top-down view PC game with your mouse.

>So using the RMB to cycle between 2 or 3 different cursor modes was too complex?
No, it was just tedious. Again, Baldur's Gate did it better.

I suppose that I had high expectations, everyone had told me that it controlled just like Baldur's Gate, so I expected it to actually control like Baldur's Gate.

Sorry I'm autistic, I wanted to get into the games, but the controls felt so backwards to me back then, and I could not get into it no matter how much I tried.

>> No.2162462

>>2162419
that bait is OC actually. if you just wanted to circlejerk about nv, why the fuck didn't YOU go to /fog/ then? you guys shill new vegas 24/7 even in irrelevant boards then get surprised when people say it is no better than whatever game you feel like shitting on next.

>>2162440
i hope to god you at least get paid to spout this shit. you didn't even explain an argument. since when the fuck has fallout ever been made to make sense? have you even fucking played the games? fallout is known for it's goofy story, unless of course you actually think caesar, mr house, and fucking yes man actually made good endings and all the fluff inbetween was actually good. yeah all those felt out of place. that is fine, since that is the same fucking stupid shit you would find in every single fallout game.
>its just there pardner
and let me reiterate, it makes NO FUCKING SENSE and isn't supposed to. i can understand if you like stories and would be disappointed with fallout 3, but then you turn around praise fucking new vegas? and really are you going to tell me that the uninteresting landmarks was an actual game design? you are going to defend that shit?

>> No.2162464

>>2162383
>the only thing they did in nv was add ironsights.
And weapon upgrades, vast gameplay changes, companions worth a shit, etc

>dont try and act like nv was at all innovative, it was the same fucking shit as both 3 and oblivion but in an even more uninteresting environment.
I disagree, New Vegas is 10 times better than both Oblivion and Fallout 3.

>also nv's storyline wasn't any better either.
Yes it was, for one, it made sense, being about an actual powerstruggle between multiple factions, unlike the FO3 plot which was super retarded and the powerstruggle (between just two factions) didn't make any sense.

>no fallout is well known for a 'good story' and some western themed garbage in the future isn't exactly some solid base to build on top of.
>if this were /v/ i would ask you to ellaborate on how 3 is 'unplayable' or 'not fun', but even if we were on /v/
>muh /v/
Oh, you're human refuse, I'm sorry, I almost regarded you as a real person with opinions for a moment, nevermind then.

I'll fill in though, Fallout 3 isn't unplayable, I enjoyed it, it's just not anywhere as good a New Vegas, even if it has way less bugs.

>> No.2162465

>>2162462

i agree with this guy.

>> No.2162467
File: 214 KB, 835x1872, viral-marketing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2162462
>you guys shill new vegas 24/7
I'll just drop this golden oldie.

Maybe they aren't paid to advertise a five year old game, you fucking inbred mouthbreather, but that they actually genuinely enjoyed it?

>> No.2162469

>>2162462
i was talking about 1 and 2 before so no, i don't want to circlejerk new vegas,. sorry, you're making me repeat myself, go back to your board (/v/), your needless hostility is the greatest indicator you came from that hole. you will find people to bicker with you there, i grant you.

>> No.2162482

>>2162464
you are just using a fuckload of blanket statements. weapon upgrades were useless, other than a few extra unused handtohand moves gameplay is otherwise untouched, and companions were better before. in new vegas, companions are prone to not follow on warp, prone to chase after enemies from thousands of feet away that you cannot even fucking see and die, and were far more uninteresting to boot. not a robot, not a doctor, a talking blue mutant and a dog with a brain transplant that you got from ELVIS IMPERSONATORS. yeah fallout new vegas really made sense. if it didn't have any quirks it wouldnt be a good fallout game. i said /v/ because this is /vr/ and you faggots are talking about a non-/vr/ game here.

>>2162467
it is the latest game in the series which is still being sold new in stores. don't try that shit.
>we wouldn't advertise our product for free on a website with thousands of posts every hour!

>>2162469
I didn't but you are right i am angry. though you guys seem to be too so is it really abnormal?

>> No.2162484

>>2162462

>shill

Stop using words you don't know the meaning of.

>since when the fuck has fallout ever been made to make sense?

Fallout 1 made a fair degree of sense within its own world and has had a fair few things grounded in reality. Fallout 2 less so, but it kept a consistent world like the first one did. Even Tactics maintained a consistent world that didn't break immersion, unlike 3.

>have you even fucking played the games?

Well, to be fair, I never did finish Tactics.

>fallout is known for it's goofy story

Hm? No, it isn't. The world has goofy and silly elements, but the main storyline was always the serious aspect of the games.

>yeah all those felt out of place

Not really. Caesar fit into the world well, as did Mr. House (inspired by Howard Hughes, look him up) and Yes Man (an AI program - not weird).

>and let me reiterate, it makes NO FUCKING SENSE

Have you ever been South of the Mason-Dixon line? It does make sense. Revolvers didn't just stop existing because of the war in 2077. Traditional Western hats didn't just go away, dusters are a good choice of attire in the Mojave, Goodsprings always had a Western aesthetic about it, and so on and so on. Nothing about it seems shoehorned in needlessly.

>i can understand if you like stories and would be disappointed with fallout 3, but then you turn around praise fucking new vegas?

All this ragging on NVs story without actually explaining what's wrong with it other than crying about some Western themes here and there heavily implies you didn't even play the game.

>and really are you going to tell me that the uninteresting landmarks was an actual game design?

"Uninteresting" is a purely subjective remark, but even then, yes. Fallout 3's world made no fucking sense. Rivet City was probably the only location in the whole game that made even a degree of sense. All the others felt like locations ripped from entirely different games. New Vegas has a consistent world that makes sense and fits together.

>> No.2162494
File: 16 KB, 200x303, 0,,20269833-EX,01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2162482
>and companions were better before
Oh c'mon
You're barely concealing your bait anymore

>> No.2162495

>>2162482

>weapon upgrades were useless

Nope.

>unused hand to hand moves

What? Unused?

>and companions were better before

They really weren't.

>companions are prone to not follow on warp

That's a bug, not a feature. Fallout 3 had even more of them, if you'll recall.

>prone to chase after enemies from thousands of feet away that you cannot even fucking see and die

Making their stance passive instead of aggressive helps that, but NV inherited its brain-dead AI from Fallout 3, unfortunately.

>and were far more uninteresting to boot.

-a crazed Nightkin that still thinks it's a grandma
-an NCR sniper with a troubled history
-a hard-drinking lady sniper that's the daughter of a character from Fallout 2
-a former Enclave scientist/doctor
-a true Brotherhood of Steel scribe, also with some troubled history
-an Enclave Eyebot with a laser
-a cyborg dog

Man, those guys are so much less interesting than

-some paladin chick
-a kinda smart super mutant
-a ghoul
-a merc
-a dog

>ELVIS IMPERSONATORS

They're explained very well in-universe and actually make a degree of sense from the perspective of a society that doesn't know who Elvis was that just found an Elvis impersonator school.

>> No.2162502

>>2162495
>a dog
Don't you talk shit 'bout Dogmeat you asshole
It really shows how 'creative' bethesda is when the only companion anyone gives a shit is a copy & paste from the previous games

>> No.2162506

>>2162462
>>2162482
You can always tell which posts are the sperglords from /v/, especially when they start crying out "SHILL". How fucking difficult is it for you to wrap you head around the fact people have differing opinions? Get the fuck out you turbonerd faggot.

>> No.2162509

>>2162502

I love Dogmeat, but as far as being "interesting" goes he is still just a dog.

>> No.2162708

>>2162482
>don't try that shit
Don't try what? Point out that if you genuinely believe that literally anyone who likes a game and talks about how they like it are secretly corporate shills?

Are you literally paranoid?

>> No.2162724

>>2162482
>weapon upgrades were useless,
Depended entirely on the upgrades. Some could matter less, such as a slightly longer barrel (plus 3 or 4 points maybe) or a larger magazine (by maybe 10 rounds tops), or something that would boost your cyclic rate by 10% or 20% , but even then, those would add up in the end, combined with the right perks and the like.

Some upgrades actually did change more than just a few stats, such as silencers, scopes, and in the case of some energy weapons, extra projectiles, and then there's the huge variety of special ammunition available for all sorts of weapons, loading some weapons with just the right kind of ammunition can drastically change how it peforms. A weapon that might be allaround mediocre could be made to really excel at one task in particular.

>other than a few extra unused handtohand moves
Don't know about you, but I made sure to use at least half of them because of how goddamn useful they could be in a punch, regardless of if my character was melee focused or not.

>gameplay is otherwise untouched,
What? In the sense that there's still real time and VATS? Yeah, I suppose, but that doesn't mean it doesn't do what 3 does but so much better.

>and companions were better before.
Are you retarded? Companions sucked in 3, you could barely outfit them, they would take poor care of their own health, they died easily all the time, they also lacked a whole lot of personality.

>in new vegas, companions are prone to not follow on warp, prone to chase after enemies from thousands of feet away that you cannot even fucking see and die,
I guess you never played after patches or issued AI commands.

>> No.2162725

>>2162350
>If the Vault Dweller sided with The Master, there wouldn't be a Fallout 2

only in the mind of a person with such a limited imagination such as yourself

>> No.2162730

>>2162724
>>2162482
>and were far more uninteresting to boot. not a robot, not a doctor, a talking blue mutant and a dog with a brain transplant that you got from ELVIS IMPERSONATORS.
In Fallout 3, there was a tall Ghoul merc with barely any personality, a Mr. Gutsy, your childhood bully, a prostitute, and a super mutant.

In New Vegas, there was an aging Ghoul mechanic, an alcoholic cowboy slut, a 2edgy4me sniper, a nightkin supermutant suffering from senile dementia, a pimped out Eyebot, and a kickass robot dog.

As for the Elvis Impersonators, not only is it explained, it's a throwback to Las Vegas culture, and it happens to fit the 1950's chord that Fallout always goes for.

>yeah fallout new vegas really made sense.
Because Fallout made a shitload of sense before.

>if it didn't have any quirks it wouldnt be a good fallout game.
What does that even mean?

>i said /v/ because this is /vr/ and you faggots are talking about a non-/vr/ game here
It's a series that's still ongoing, of course people will bring up and discuss the newer titles in /vr/ threads on occasion, you not being able to handle this is nobody's fault but your own.

>> No.2162731

>>2162350
>>2162124
there is no point in arguing with you, it boils down to a matter of taste. and your taste is shit. no offence

>> No.2162840

>>2162725

>side with Master
>all of Southern and soon to be Northern California is either slaughtered or turned into more mutants
>Mutant army expands outwards and takes over

It wouldn't have been a Fallout-style RPG following that storyline, I can assure you of that. If anything, it might have been a strategy game to either command or fight the Mutant armies. It might have been nifty, but it wouldn't have been "Fallout 2" since it would have next to nothing in common with the first one.

I can certainly imagine how events might have unfolded with the Master's ending, but I can't imagine another RPG a la Fallout 1 being made for said events except maybe another quest to stop the Mutants, which would have essentially rehashed the first game tit for tat.

>> No.2162843

>>2162731

Making sense > player choice.

>> No.2163424

2, than 1, than tactics. i tried soooooo incredibly hard to like 3/nv. but theyre BORING. so incredibly BORING. walk around, enter building, loot all, open vats kill all, exit building, repeat. sometimes accept a quest that literally doesnt change a single part of that cycle.

>> No.2163434

New vegas > Fallout 3 > Fallout 2 > Fallout 1.

>> No.2163435

>>2163434
people don't even try anymore do they

>> No.2163480

>>2163424

Play without VATS. Rebind it to a really obtuse key you'll never use. It's almost an entirely different game.

>walk around, enter building, loot all, open vats kill all, exit building, repeat.

To an extent, you've described most of the Fallout series. Most quests do involve primarily killing or fetching. I don't see what's so boring about 3/NV that isn't boring about 1 & 2 by what you've described.

>> No.2163494

>>2163480
Different anon, personally, I largely only used VATS if I desperately needed to pinpoint a threat that I could hear, but not see.

Otherwise, it'd maybe be a real complex situation where I need to be sure to place my shots in a very fast order. I suppose sometimes if I'm charged by a big angry animal, I might VATS to make sure I fit in as many attacks as possible in as little time as possible.

Most of the combat I would do in real time.

>> No.2163498

>>2163494

I just cut it out entirely. The whole thing is really just OP to a game-breaking extent.

>> No.2163519

>>2163498
It can be really game breaking, true, but sometimes you're so fucked VATS can't help you either.

But sometimes it's just fun to see limbs explode in slow motion, the novelty never quite wears off enough that I never want to see it again.

>> No.2163520

>>2160539
Soiled it! Soiled it! Soiled it!

>> No.2163542

>>2163480

to me fallout 1/2 seemed to be a fair bit different. distilled down to its core it is most the same formula, but i think the dialogue, story, and general attention to details saved 1/2. quests felt worth doing. dialogue could be engrossing and sometimes hilarious. i dont think there was one line of dialogue in 3/nv i enjoyed.

another pet peeve is that 3/nv felt so uncared for. in nv the kings building has like 3 floors and over 16 completely empty rooms. not even an item in them. this is pretty much on par for the entire game in both instances.

i liked skyrim though, so i continue to have hope for future fallout games. i still wish theyd went the van buren route though.

>> No.2163551

>>2163542
>another pet peeve is that 3/nv felt so uncared for. in nv the kings building has like 3 floors and over 16 completely empty rooms. not even an item in them. this is pretty much on par for the entire game in both instances.

Well, the big issue there is twofold. First, Obsidian only had less than 2 years to crank out the game. Second, the game still had to run on consoles. That's why Freeside and Vegas are so small, empty, and broken up into little sections.

Honestly, the rest of the game felt so much more fleshed out. Vegas and Freeside are the low points for me.

>> No.2163562

>>2163542
i can't take the opinion of someone who liked "draugr cave the game" seriously. sorry. obsidian was rushed to finish new vegas and it shows, the game is flawed and it's pretty obvious. they still did a better job than Fallout3 that had all the time in the world to be launched. Writing takes long but NOT THAT LONG and nothing can excuse Fallout3 retarded quests, characters and dialogue. New Vegas is far from being a worthy fallout game and they tried so hard to copy Fallout2, but even then, it was a huge step up over Fallout3 so that makes me hopeful of a better future for the franchise.

>> No.2163567

>>2163542
I am still very bothered that every single floor in 3 was covered in paper and trash. not just like a little bit, it was fucking COVERED. It's not part of the texture either, it's a mesh they add on top of it.

>> No.2163569

>>2163567

Even worse when you consider that even in the desert (which Virginia isn't) paper wouldn't last 200 years without some special conditions like the Dead Sea Scrolls. All that trash and it doesn't even make any damned sense.

>> No.2163726

>>2162138
Dude they made an mmorpg version with the original engine. Yes recreating new vegas is an option. Making all the graphics however would be shit loads of work.

>> No.2163730

I feel bad for using a guide for most of the quests but at least I had fun

>> No.2163741

The original Fallout is the shortest game and therefor the best.

When I'm playing 2, 3, or NV, I have this strong desire to do everything and get a sense of completion, having at the very least explored all the available areas and found the secrets in them if nothing else. Then I could be like OK I'M DONE I CAN NEVER TOUCH THIS AGAIN AND BE HAPPY.

My point being, 2, 3, and NV are so fucking tedious it makes me want to fucking kill myself, and I feel retched for my internal obligation to play them to benefit from whatever design is of actual merit in them and learn from the standard they establish.

>> No.2163742

>>2160960
You're missing the point; everyone is saying that the inventory system makes the game too easy. Nobody thought it made the game harder. With Quick Pockets and high agility, and lots of stimpaks, you're basically invincible if you're able to survive each round. You can shoot your weapon (maybe twice, if you have the right perks, agility, and drugs), then open your inventory, heal fully, and reload your weapon each round, making you unstoppable. You can cheese the game easily if you have decent armor, many stimpaks, and a decent amount of health.

>> No.2163750

>>2161569
Are you seriously implying F2 takes forever to beat? Even if you have limited knowledge of speed running, you can EASILY beat it in less than an hour.

>> No.2164316

>>2160632
I really never got myself into Jagged Alliance. It's clunky as hell to me.

>>2160847
>Fallout Tactics

But Fallout Tactics was really... plain. It's kinda boring, with little story. And the combat felt meh too.

Will try Wasteland 2 at some point though.

>> No.2164327

>>2164316
Wasteland 2 is much more of an RPG, you'll like it. It only resembles Fallout: Tactics at a glace, because of the similar view. And yes, Fallout Tactics is really uninspired. It could have been good, if the people making it had been talented at all.

>> No.2164331

>>2164327
Fallout Tactics was rushed out the door by the developer if I recall right, there's lots of things they were gonna do that they had to scrap.

>> No.2164332

>>2164331
>by the developer
By the publisher I mean.

>> No.2164335

>>2164331
I'd really like to see a game in Fallout universe with gameplay of Silent Storm. With today's technology, it would be amazing.

>> No.2164337

>>2164327

did they finally make the game playable?

>> No.2164338

>>2164335
Or, you know, with Silent Storm's technology, a game that came out a decade ago, and only like 3-4 years after Fallout Tactics.

>> No.2164339

>>2164337
I guess? I didn't have any problems. I don't even remember it crashing.

>> No.2164340

>>2164338
Well, if you could add some serious destructible environment physics to that old engine then sure, why not. I mean, they did use that modified engine to make Heroes V if I recall correctly.

>> No.2164371

>>2162456
>I never liked the idea of having to press a bunch keyboard keys when playing isometric games, in games like Starcraft, Diablo, Baldur's Gate, and so many others, there's buttons and all on the menu and interface, to have to press buttons on a keyboard for that kind of game, it just feels backwards to me, I don't know how to explain it, it feels unnatural to not be able to play most of a top-down view PC game with your mouse.
You're just a scrub.

>> No.2164380

>>2164337

I torrented it to try it before I went and dropped money on it and I gotta say it works great, even on my toaster. No crashes, no freezes, and I've encountered no bugs. It is fully patched, though.

>> No.2164383
File: 153 KB, 686x441, 1363184717894.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2164371
A-anon, my feelings ;_;

>> No.2164392

>>2164383

Well, you kind of are. Keyboard shortcuts are just that: shortcuts. They save you the time and the pain in the ass to have to click everything.

Like, in Fallout, I don't use too many, but A is really handy for initiating combat quickly (so that you get the first turn and not the enemy) and the number row keys keep the game from trying my patience much (hotkeys for skilldex skills - saves a lot of clicking when doing multiple lockpick rolls and such). Aside from those, I stick with full mouse control.

>> No.2164406

I feel like Fallout 2 takes longer to get fun than 1. In 2 you spend a lot of time poking things with a spear for like 10 turns in every encounter and running around with no armor (unless you look up a super-effective-against-everything build), whereas in Fallout 1 you're pretty much set once you kill some raiders and sell all their weapons and armor.

>> No.2164410

>>2164340
"Modern tech" doesn't really mean anything in terms of interactivity, though. Modern games are often less interactive. The new X-Com is less interactive than Silent Storm.

>> No.2164412

>>2164406
Naw, just walk until you get a raiders VS merchants encounter, steal all the shit from the lossing party and you are set.

>> No.2164413

>>2164392
I just couldn't get used to it mang. ( ._.)

>> No.2164418

>>2164406

Not really. Run away from most encounters until you get bandits versus highwaymen or some such. Wait until the fight is over, then kill the stragglers.

>> No.2164424

>>2164413
Yeah, I know that feeling.
A few hours ago I tried to press A in fallout and broke my fingers against the desktop instead.
Every. Fucking. Time.

>> No.2164426

>>2164413

Well, you can get by without them, but you're really doing a lot of things the hard way and you'll be at a major disadvantage if reflexes become an issue.

>> No.2164429

>>2164424

How do you miss your keyboard?

>> No.2164653

New Vegas and fallout 3 were better than the older games.

>> No.2165119

>>2164653

0/10

>> No.2166252

>>2160365

Fallout 2.

I preferred it sans ponies, though.

>> No.2166301

>>2165119
I'm someone else and I've tried getting into 1+2 but just never could.

>> No.2166320

>>2164410
But it's not only about the software, but also hardware. You wouldn't be able to pull some good looking environment destruction without a rig that would be able to run it.

>> No.2166330

>>2166301

That doesn't mean 3 and NV are better. In your case, you may just not be able to get into either isometric games or turn-based combat.

>> No.2166780

>>2166330
Yet another different anon here, but I love the shit out of both isometric games and turnbased combat, yet I couldn't get into F1 or F2 either.

I get the impression that FNV was way more "Fallout" than F3 was though, the writing was certainly better
(and the gameplay)
Shame it was so damn buggy though.

>> No.2166953

>>2166780

...Well, that perplexes me. I found Fallout 1 and 2 very easy to get into and I'd never played an RPG like them before.

Yeah, New Vegas was the much better Fallout title. Fallout 3 in its own right was a mediocre game with a problems, but as a Fallout sequel it was just awful. I seriously hope Bethesda does a better job for Fallout 4 - ideally firing Todd Howard and the entire animation department.

>> No.2167171

>>2166780
>Shame it was so damn buggy though.
A big chunk of that wasn't really the dev's fault. If you look into the history behind the development of that game, they were basically forced to rush the product out the door after about a year of development time. Pretty sure Bethesda just wanted to have something out there while they continued to work on Skyrim, and didn't much care about the quality of the final product.

>> No.2167274

>>2167171

It was actually sort of an unholy trifecta of bugginess.

>used Bethesda GameBryo engine
>made by Obsidian
>rushed out the door ASAP

I'm legitimately surprised it didn't turn out like VTMB.

>> No.2167362

>>2166953
Honestly, I didn't hate 3, I had fun with it, the Capitol Wasteland and ruins of D.C are fun to explore. It's just that the main quest is super retarded. Some of the side quests are ok, and I really liked Point Lookout and The Pitt (though Mothership Z was balls), even enjoyed Operation Anchorage. It's not a terrible game, it's just flawed.

New Vegas, on the other hand, had way more fun guns, better quests, companions that were interesting, just way better in most other regards (though the Mojave is way smaller and takes too fast to explore, and the game has too many bugs).

I wanted to get into the old games, because I hear they're supposed to be great, but they really don't feel at all like any of the old isometric games I grew up with in terms control and interface, I couldn't get used to it.

>> No.2167379

>>2167362

>It's not a terrible game, it's just flawed.

I didn't say it was terrible. It's an alright game in its own right, and is even enjoyable. I just said it's a terrible Fallout sequel - there's a reason people called it Oblivion with guns.

>though the Mojave is way smaller and takes too fast to explore

It's really no smaller than the Capital Wasteland to my memory. If you go off exploring, it's just as big, if a tad more dull.

>and the game has too many bugs

3 was as bad if not worse. Hell, 3 won't even run on Windows 7 (or, at least, not for very long). Many people actually had better experiences with an unpatched Fallout 3 than the patched version, which is why there's a fake patch to unlock DLCs.

That said, NV was indeed still a buggy mess, but it inherited it honestly, and with Obsidian developing it (not to mention they didn't know the engine) and a time frame of 1 year to make it, it's honestly surprising that it's not much less stable than 3. The fixes for it really help a lot, though - the unofficial patch and New Vegas Anti Crash removed all the stability problems for me.

>> No.2167965

Is it too late to play Fallout games? I mean, they're huge in the term of content, but there's a large fanbase, mods, it is hard to be a complete newfag and fit in. Will I get lost in these games?

>> No.2167989

>>2167274
But VTMB ended up being good.

>> No.2168037

anyone who thinks F3 and NV are anywhere close to Oblivion needs to stick to /vr/ topics only

not that any of them are modern masterpieces as some of you are claiming

>> No.2168132

My favourite Fallout game is Wasteland 2

>> No.2168242

>>2168037
Well they're definitively better than Oblivion.
Not that I didn't have fun with Oblivion as well, but Christ if it wasn't flawed.

>> No.2168274

>>2167989

It is good, but my god is it such a fucking buggy mess of a game.

>> No.2168275

>>2168037
Sequels are allowed.

>> No.2168282

>>2168242
both games have nothing on oblivion. how is it more flawed than both of those games?

>he's gonna mention the leveling system

>>2168275
i believe he meant stick to /vr/ topics because they don't know modern games. in this case i would agree.

>> No.2168284

>>2167989
>Loading times every five seconds
>The loading times are stupidly long, even for places you just came from
I respect VTBM as a game, but for fuck sake wasn't that annoying.

>> No.2168287
File: 17 KB, 207x253, 1384544327646.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2168282

>both games have nothing on oblivion.

Tell me you're not defending what is easily the worst TES game, much less saying the 2nd or 3rd best Fallout game can't compare to it.

>> No.2168302

Of all the Fallout games out there, in terms of gameplay and content, it'll be Fallout 2. It's pretty hard to find a game that actually lets you finish quests in loads of different ways than just picking a knickknack and throw it somewhere in so you can get to advance the plotline. Heck, I can just feed a man with a bad heart some drugs just to make it look like an accident for a murder when New Vegas just relies mostly on dialogue to do it as an alternative.

New Vegas had the overall best overall combat, however. The only thing that dragged down the first 2 were their abysmal combat. I like tactics-style combat but Black Isle did a poor job on that imo

>> No.2168318

>>2168287
One is an immersive adventure while the other is a point and click brown blob

>> No.2168324
File: 164 KB, 600x450, 1386228984068.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2168318

>> No.2168329

>>2168302

Fallout's combat was great, though. You just have to think of it as more of a tabletop RPG than a tactical combat game. It easily has the best non-party-based combat out of all of the CRPGs and WRPGs of its era and even a few years after it.

>I like tactics-style combat but Black Isle did a poor job on that

Black Isle didn't make Tactics.

>> No.2168332

>>2168282
>the leveling system
I wasn't, but now I will, it's seriously flawed, at no point should highwaymen and other lowlifes be wearing expensive glass armor and swinging ebony weapons, they could sell that equipment live comfortably, as not a highwayman, for decades. Why would he still be a highwayman if he's decked out in super expensive gear? He could sell it, and stop living the shitty life of a highwayman, and go live like a high roller.

The plot is bland and boring, the Gates all feel the same, and they don't really feel like an imminent threat to mundus when all they do is pop open somewhere in the wilderness and two scamps are rolling their thumbs waiting for you to come along.

The voice acting is subpar and stiff in many instances, it all sounds too samey. I know this can be said of Morrowind as well, but most dialog in Morrowind was conveyed in text.

The countryside just isn't interesting. Now granted, there isn't always that much interesting stuff going on out in the country, but it all looks too much the same, you can hardly tell what part of Cyrodil you are in by looking at your environment most of the time. In Morrowind, regions had more distinct appearances, even Skyrim did that, while rocks and pines were standard, regions in Skyrim were often fairly identifiable by their environment to some degree.

The Imperial City is a joke, lorewise, it's supposed to be a huge, grand and sprawling city complex, in the game it's a tiny as hell island town with a port for maybe a handful of ships. I understand that there were limitations at hand, but come on! Also, speaking of lore, Cyrodil is supposed to be decidedly more tropical in it's environment.

They cut and merged weapon skills in ways that didn't make sense, but the combat was actually pretty good and fun.

Did I have fun with, and enjoy Oblivion? Absolutely, it can be a fun game, and Shivering Isles was fantastic, but it's certainly a low point for Bethesda, and I'm glad they're past it.

>> No.2168340

>>2168329
no, I meant how the combat plays out. I'd go as far as saying X-Com had better combat but of course, Fallout wasn't really designed to be a TBS in the first place in that engine. Hexes suck in there

>> No.2168351

>>2168340

>no, I meant how the combat plays out.

I don't follow.

>> No.2168385

>>2168351
while the combat interface is decent albeit needs a little getting used to, the fact that it is hard to move around your characters around invisible hexes makes combat a bit of a chore than anything.

plus, melee and unarmed was terrible, followers get in the way of shots frequently and may possibly attack you instead, followers with burst weapons will definately kill you, the amount of action points needed is pretty ridiculous unless you've built a 8+ AGI character, targeting is mostly superflous, etc. I don’t think it's a very good game in terms of combat but it is for everything else

>> No.2168503

>>2168385

>the fact that it is hard to move around your characters around invisible hexes makes combat a bit of a chore than anything.

Yeah, I would say a visible grid would be better than the invisible one, although it's a bit worse now that you can play at higher resolutions. Makes the grid much smaller than intended.

>plus, melee and unarmed was terrible

How so? I've only ever heard people say melee and unarmed builds are OP.

>followers get in the way of shots frequently

Happens a lot more in 1 than 2, although they're still subject to the game's not-very-good AI.

>and may possibly attack you instead

That's just due to hit/miss calculations. There's really no way around that.

>followers with burst weapons will definately kill you

That's somewhat averted in 2 with companion combat controls, but it is still a problem in some areas.

>the amount of action points needed is pretty ridiculous unless you've built a 8+ AGI character,

Yeah, AGL is OP. The AP system is practically broken. I think it would be better if they used a 20 AP scale instead of 10, with the formula being 10+AGL or AGLx2.

>targeting is mostly superflous

I don't understand.

>> No.2168845

>>2168503
máybe I had a hard time trying to find a decent weapon for melee early on and gave up on it to switch to energy weapons. Farming batteries over in San Fran was way too easy once you know how to get there and take everything from dead Hubologists

>I don’t understand
it means it's unnecessary most of the time

>> No.2168915

>>2168845

>máybe I had a hard time trying to find a decent weapon for melee early on

You don't have a great early game selection, no, but a sledgehammer or sharpened spear is good. It's when you get the Super Sledge, Ripper, and/or Mega Power Fist that you really start kicking ass.

>it means it's unnecessary most of the time

Aimed shots have their advantages. Crippling limbs, for one, which aren't too helpful in most cases but can be life-saving in others. Crippling legs will reduce most enemies to 3 or 4 AP, for example, which is great for Deathclaws.

Also, IIRC, aiming for the head doubles your critical hit chance, and the eyes triples it.

>> No.2168936

>>2168915
Plus, if you are melee/unarmed, aimed shots are freaking amazing. Hitting someone in the head and knocking them out is almost guaranteed with the Slayer perk.

>> No.2168938

>>2160365
Fallout 3, I'm not kidding.

>> No.2168948

>>2168936
A weapons/melee/unarmed combo is great because you can take cover, shoot at people, wait until they come around the corner and punch them in the eyes.

>> No.2169052

>>2168938
I actually enjoyed Fallout 3 too, first time playing it. It's my first Fallout

Terrible as a Fallout game but otherwise decent open world post-apocalyptic game

>> No.2169129

>>2168938
You have piss-poor taste my friend.

>> No.2169142

1 is my favorite one but 2 has that car

Oh god I love that car, please marry me car

You're the only companion I need

>> No.2169168

>>2169142
>tfw you've listened to this as you drove that sweet nuclear-powered ride
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jxn1sqAQ-c&app=desktop

>> No.2169578

>>2160575
>>2160632
>>2160847

or The Fall: Last days of Gaia ?

>> No.2169657

>>2160365
Whats wrong with the character model in the pic, OP ?

>> No.2169660

>>2169657
It's a pony mod.

>> No.2169938

>>2169657

It's a pony.

>> No.2170207
File: 352 KB, 1600x1200, Chryslus Highwayman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2169142

I fucking love the Highwayman. I wish I had its best IRL lookalike, the 1959 Plymouth Fury.

>>2169168

>not posting the 1 hour mix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNsJI_fDoR8