[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 10 KB, 320x224, shinobi3-8.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2131864 No.2131864 [Reply] [Original]

Was the SNES really superior visually than the Mega Drive? I know technically it had better hardware, but from experience seeing both consoles running games, the Mega Drive/Genesis felt like it had better contrast, framerate/speed, and more animation frames on the sprites. The SNES always looked a bit more washed out and choppy animations.

>> No.2131875

Genesis had a faster processor, and an architecture more programmers were familiar with.
SNES had a larger color palette and Mode 7 as a hardwired routine, but when you get beyond that, the Genesis was theoretically capable of pushing more sprites smoothly.

inb4 flamewar

>> No.2131876

They had different limitations and capabilities without one clearly being more powerful in every respect.

>> No.2131882

>>2131864
The SNES's video hardware is vastly superior to the Genesis's.
More colors, transparencies, etc. It did come out in 1991.

Genesis's CPU is considered to be faster, but I have a hunch it's just that more people knew how to do 68k development (it was THE CPU used in arcade games and a few home computers of the day (which was 1989)).

>> No.2131891

>Shinobi III
Well that's cheating

Post some cross-platform games where the Genesis version looks better than the SNES one

HARD MODE: and has better SFX/music

>> No.2131893

>>2131864
>The SNES always looked a bit more washed out and choppy animations.

I always felt that some Genesis games had some choppy animations, really. Ghouls N Ghosts, having only TWO frames for the grim reapers, for example. The first boss also only had a few frames himself. And then there's Sonic 2 special stage animations which bugged me, and the thumbs up icon that moved in a weird pattern. Not to mention it actually just looked like an open hand with curled fingers and an extended thumb. Some Genesis games do look weird.

>> No.2131896

>>2131893
Ghouls N Ghosts is a really early game, which is in turn a port of an 80s arcade game.

>>2131891
Langrisser 2

>> No.2131904

>>2131891
>cross-platform games

This one's not fair. The SNES wins because samples are easier than FM (actual western Genesis dev: "we'd randomize the FM parameters and pick the ones that sounded the best to us") and the SNES has more colors avaliable. The only advantage was the Genesis's higher resolution. You can't really take advantage of the Genesis hardware with multiplats.

>>2131893
>Ghouls and Ghosts
>1989 release
Early Genesis games had super small ROM sizes.

As for Sonic's special stages, that pipe must have taken a lot of ROM.

>> No.2131905

>>2131891
Earthworm Jim

>> No.2131908

I've always wondered. Do Mega Drive carts have extra chips like SNES game carts?

>> No.2131910

>>2131908
Very, very few. Virtua Racing, and...that's the only one I can think of.

Usually, when you see something kickass on the Genesis, it is all the default hardware.

>> No.2131918

>the Mega Drive/Genesis felt like it had better contrast

Is this just a euphemism for fewer displayable colors?

>> No.2131928

>>2131864
Genesis games could support many more sprites on-screen than SNES games.

Take for instance, SOR2 mania mode, you can have 2 players and 8 enemies on-screen at the same time and there will be not a single frame of lag. On the other hand, I can't think of a single SNES beat'em up that can show more than 5 character sprites without lagging. Final Fight 3 for instance starts lagging when there are 3 enemies on-screen, and forget about 2 players mode.

>> No.2131942

>>2131908
pier solar had some pseudo mode 7 like scaling
>>2131864
who cares both are amazing systems
>>2131891
IMO alot of western multiplats are better on genesis like true lies, Lion King, Demolition man. Yeah the SNES was superior but it seems that a lot of western devs understood the genesis hardware because of 68k and its headstart. Japanese multiplats i cant really think of any probably snes since it was more popular there.

>> No.2131945

>>2131928
Technically, the SNES can -display- more sprites onscreen than the Genesis by a landslide. I think the Genesis could do 20 per scanline and 80 total, while the SNES could do 32 per scanline, 128 total. HOWEVER, the SNES has a -very- weak CPU, and it can't push all those sprites around effectively. The SNES was lopsided in it's design, the GPU was way better than the CPU, and the CPU was the bottleneck.

>> No.2131963

I always thought the Mega Drive looked rougher, while the SNES was smoother.

>> No.2132014

>Was the SNES really superior visually than the Mega Drive?

It supported way more colors onscreen at once, so technically yes? Obviously the skill of the developers is the defining factor in producing aesthetically pleasing games, though, so the final results were pretty similar between the two systems. The NES was really limited in color palettes, but some games looked awesome see: Crystalis.

>> No.2132027

>>2131928
>>2131945
I remember reading about some programming tricks ages ago that a handful of games used on the SNES to get around some limitations. Smash TV was a pretty early SNES title with large swarms of enemies and absolutely no slowdown at all. I think the only spot of flicker in the game is with the dual snake bosses.

>> No.2132039

>>2131864
It's a toss up

Good CPU with outdated GPU vs outdated CPU vs good GPU

>> No.2132042

>>2132039
*with

>> No.2132046

Genesis does what Nintendon't.

>> No.2132047

>>2131904
>"we'd randomize the FM parameters and pick the ones that sounded the best to us"

I FUCKING KNEW IT! Who said that? I feel like I could totally name some games in my library where I think they did that.
It's a bummer, kinda that some devs would phone it in like that. It's not even like FM synthesis is that difficult to grasp.

>> No.2132053

>>2132047
My dad worked for Nintendo and he told me.

>> No.2132057

>>2131864
I think a lot of the really good looking Genesis games can look better then the best looking SNES games, but to me... Genesis games have a very... genesis look to them.

There are some amazing looking games on Sega Genesis, like Comix Zone just has really great and smooth animations. But for every game like that theres shit like the gutted Sunset Riders port.

>> No.2132069

>>2132053
It's actually a very believable scenario. For a long time (including throughout the Genesis's lifespan) FM synth programming had an air of untouchableness to it simply because a single voice had so many parameters.

There's a story about when the Yamaha DX-7 (the first commercially successful FM synth) faced a recall, the technicians doing work on the recalled units found that hardly anyone who sent their unit in had actually bothered making patches to save on the internal memory, and instead were all using built-in and third-party presets for their recordings.

>> No.2132074

>>2131875
This. Also Genesis if I recall had a slightly higher resolution.

>>2131891
Earthworm Jim.

Looked and sounded better than the SNES version considerably, but the guy behind it even said he favored making it on the Genesis so it was a case of really being made for it, which sadly so little was.

So yes basically if a game was aimed at Sega or was an arcade port it often came out better on Genesis, because of the chip usage. Though someone really had to have the synth sound in mind to get the sound to work well.

I won't say Genesis had worse sound, it actually didn't, but it was more like making bit music while snes was more like just playing a sound file (no it wasn't really like that, but just a comparison to say one was more so audio via programming and a lot of lazy SNES to Gen ports didn't adjust for it)

Honestly part of why the SNES vs Genesis debate is so interesting is that the machines and games were so uniquely made at the time there isn't a clear winner depending on what matters to you.

>> No.2132083

The Genesis and SNES gen was the last gen in which I could notice that one console had clearly less colours than the other one.

Did Genesis have less slow down than SNES due to the faster processor? That would be a thing on its favour.

>> No.2132094 [DELETED] 

>>2132053
Earthworm Jim, Boogerman, Thunder Force III(G)/Thunder Spirits(S), PGA Tour III(G)/PGA Tour 96(S), Raiden Trad...
As a bonus, most if not all of those games actually ran better on the Genesis, too. PGA Tour on the SNES had an SA-1 chip, and it still ran like it was about to choke the system.

I could go on...

>> No.2132129
File: 158 KB, 316x304, rustled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2131891
Earthworm Jim, Boogerman, ThunderForce III, PGA Tour III, Raiden Trad, Lemmings, Street Fighter II, NBA Jam, Ys III...
It's also worth noting that most of these games run better on the Genesis, too. PGA Tour required an SA-1 chip in the cartridge and still managed to play like it was desperately trying not to choke on itself.

>> No.2132151

>>2132129
Streetfighter 2 better on Genesis? Bullshit.

>> No.2132153 [DELETED] 

Maybe not the voices, but the music? You'd better habeeb it!

>> No.2132157

>>2132151
Maybe not the voices, but the music? You'd better habeeb it!

>> No.2132169

>>2132046
*Mega Drive

>> No.2132185

>>2131875

Basically this. They had their strengths and weaknesses. SNES would play a lot of games that are a bit more detailed and better looking looking, but slower. A lot more SNES games than Mega Drive had slowdown.

Sega consoles tended to focus on arcade game ports and space shooters. SNES would be slower platformers, and RPGs or MODE 7!

They were just different. Both solid systems, with solid libraries.

PCE is another system that people forget about from that era, that was also pretty damn solid too.

>> No.2132197

>>2131864

Both consoles had their strengths and weaknesses.

SNES had a nice VDP and was great for RPGs, platformers, racing games because of the mode 7 scaling, transparencies for magic effects, high color artwork etc.

Downside was its shit CPU but Nintendo stated they designed it that way because of enhancement chips. The only problem with that was it added significant cost to the carts so it was only reserved for a very select amount of titles.

Genesis had a fast CPU and was perfect for action games, Shoot'em ups, platformers, sports, generally anything thats going to throw a lot of sprites on the screen.

Its VDP left a bit to be desired, a lot of games had obvious dithering, especially on cross platform titles where the art wasn't specifically created for it.

To me the Sound arguments are moot. FM synth vs low quality samples it all depended on who was composing.

I doubt you could do the colorful graphics of Secret of Mana on Genesis and I doubt you could do the games like Thunder force IV on Snes without a ton of slowdown (maybe a enhancement chip could help with that).

>> No.2132248

>>2132151
cool digits there

>> No.2132252

How does the Mega CD come into the mix?

>> No.2132317

>>2132252
A little known fact is that the Mega CD actually enhances the Mega Drive/Genesis specs in addition to being able to play CDs and CD quality sound.

It includes an extra copy of the same CPU, except clocked faster, more RAM, a sprite scaling chip (Mode 7 style shit basically, except even more flexible I think) and an extra sound chip that's similar to the one in the SNES.

Hardly any games actually took advantage of this stuff though, except like Snatcher and a few others.

>> No.2132318

>>2132317
>Hardly any games actually took advantage of this stuff though
It was the same thing with the 32X. What's the deal with that? If you're gonna make a Mega CD or 32X game, you might as well use the hardware you get.

>> No.2132341

>>2131945
>HOWEVER, the SNES has a -very- weak CPU
No it doesn't.

>> No.2132375

>>2132341
It all comes down to speed

>SNES CPU speed
1.79-3.58 MHz
(usually 2.68 MHz)

>Genesis CPU speed
7.67 MHz

Compare Contra III and Contra Hard Corps. Also notice that more often than not when it comes to multiplats, games on the SNES feature load times while the Genesis equivalent usually doesn't (Micky Mania for example).

>> No.2132379

>>2132375

>megahertz meaning anything when applied to completely different processors

>> No.2132417

>>2132069
That's reasonably understandable. The way you have to navigate through the DX7 I'd a total fucking nightmare.

>> No.2132428

>>2132083
>Did Genesis have less slow down than SNES due to the faster processor? That would be a thing on its favour.

Yes. A lot of SNES space shooters had massive slowdown. The ones that didn't were the exceptions. Try playing Gradius III and get too many Speed-ups. The whole game grinds to a half. You're playing in slow-mo mode.

>> No.2132430

>>2132157
>>2132151

SNES SF2 score is still my favorite of the original SF2 scores.

>> No.2132462

>>2132428
C. Laser in the middle of Bubble will give the same effect.

>> No.2132474

1-SNES came 2 years after MD, it better have the edge in some areas.
2-Approch was radicaly different :
MD used one of the most known and efficient CPU but used hugely scaled down video and sound arcade processors.
SNES used a weak CPU, but lot of hardwired effects and an easier to use sound chip.

Lots didn't know/care how to work around graphics and sound limitations of the MD, so many games have crap dithering because they didn't adjust to the limited palette, and many have crappy sound because the supplied sound library made it easy to convert midi to MD.

>> No.2132548

>>2132341
>No it doesn't.
Every early title with chronic slowdown says otherwise. Get over it.

>> No.2132564

>>2131942

Super Mario Kart MD coming soon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt_He0Ep02o

By the genius who did the unofficial Wolfenstein 3D port on MD (which is a much better port than official SNES port if you wonder)

>> No.2132572

>>2132428
>Yes. A lot of SNES space shooters had massive slowdown. The ones that didn't were the exceptions.
I'm actually surprised that more amateur romhackers have not tried to implement SA-1 support, to circumvent slowdown in such titles.

>> No.2132632

What I'd like to know is why the Genesis sound chip is so awful. Have you ever tried to play Castlevania Bloodlines? The sound effects in that game are almost painful to listen to.

>> No.2132648

>>2131864
bigger sprites and more colors. that's about it for graphix.

anyhoo, 32X is objectively technically superior

>> No.2132651

The only thing where Mega Drive was superior was the speed. Still there were games like F-Zero and Unirally that proved SNES could easily handle fast games.

>> No.2132663

>>2132632
>What I'd like to know is why the Genesis sound chip is so awful
It's not. It's just hard to program.

>>2132651
>Still there were games like F-Zero and Unirally that proved SNES could easily handle fast games.
Not much happens in those games, except the going fast part.

>> No.2132664

>>2132632
It never bugged me, but the muddy, muted early SNES-nes of SC4 did.

Genesis games in general have a very similar murky, thuddy sound to them. People will rush in to defend the hardware or point out counterexamples (which exist for sure) but in practice even NES tended to sound better, even for stuff like voice samples.

At worst SNES games had kind of a cheap synthy sound to the music, but something like the DKC soundtrack just wasn't happening on a Genesis.

>> No.2132689

>>2132664
Neither Super Castlevania 4, champ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sySkD2Nfwok

Also, this "Blast processing = better console so it wins" discussion is bullshit.

The 3DO and Jaguar had a much more potent hardware than the NES and Master System and yet those weaker consoles had many, many better and funnier games than the suppa powerful ones.

>> No.2132704
File: 600 KB, 1250x787, RangerX_MD_JP_Box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw this game broke the Mega Drive's color limitations and the graphics look like they are from a SNES game
How did they do it?

>> No.2132746

>>2132704
Same way as Treasure managed to program rotation effects into their games: via software and lots of cleverness.

>> No.2132761

>>2132689
You're doing a bad job of posting. You are not a good poster.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vC4fYdrfS64

>> No.2132762

>post a question answered a million times already
Yes, it's superior

>> No.2132768

>>2132689
>The 3DO and Jaguar had a much more potent hardware than the NES and Master System and yet those weaker consoles had many, many better and funnier games than the suppa powerful ones.

That's why this thread is about discussion of the technical capabilities of the Genesis vs. SNES, not which was a better console.
I think it's the general consensus around /vr/ that both systems had great libraries, with the SNES being somewhat short on shooters, and Genesis lacking in RPGs.

>> No.2132772

>>2132169
It's called genesis in the US, and considering that it's about half the market I think we can call it the sega genesis.

>> No.2132774

>>2132761
Man, CV 3 JP's soundtrack is incredible.

Megami Tensei 2 also had great music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGEzqWGp2WA&t=45m8s

>> No.2132778
File: 90 KB, 700x520, nintendont.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2132046

>> No.2132789
File: 14 KB, 320x224, 46510-ranger-x-genesis-screenshot-level-1-1s.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2132704
Heavy use of dithering. Artistic skill. Fuzzy CRTs in the past helped the illusion. Youtube videos seem to blur it for a good effect.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/ranger-x/screenshots

>> No.2132834

>>2132632

I will fight you

>> No.2132839

>>2132197
>doubt you could do the games like Thunder force IV on Snes without a ton of slowdown
You say that like it didn't have a ton of slowdown on the Genesis.

>> No.2132860

>>2132632
Honestly, I really like the Genesis's sound chip. I feel it did Guitar riff and bassy tracks a lot better. I also feel like the music was cleaner than the SNES's/sounded higher quality. The main problem is that it feels like nobody really took advantage of the Genesis so a lot of the music sounds like ass.

>> No.2135353

>>2132185
The PCE failed in the West thanks to having no European release and America botched the marketing, failed to attract local 3rd parties, and had relatively few localizations compared to the immense Japanese library.

>> No.2135406

>>2131905
This is probably true if for no other reason than the Genesis version had a couple extra levels that the SNES one lacked.

>> No.2135412

For both the SNES and the N64, Nintendo's hardware design philosophy was literally focused on producing attractive still photos for magazines. Framerate was a secondary concern and you can see that in the games.

>> No.2135439

The music, mate. New Junk City: perfect example. The instrument sounds were more dynamic, with evolving timbres and filter-esque sweeps that would have made for prohibitively large soundfiles using the sample-based sound generation on the SNES. The only thing I really like better on the SNES version is how the fanfare sounds at the end of Andy Asteroids.
Also, the boss of New Junk only belches out one fish on screen at a time on the SNES version.

>> No.2135452

>>2135412
>Nintendo's hardware design philosophy was literally focused on producing attractive still photos for magazines. Framerate was a secondary concern and you can see that in the games.

You can't design hardware for image quality in mind over framerate. That's not how it works. It's the developers responsibility if they want to technically design a game that way.

>> No.2135456

>>2135452
>You can't design hardware for image quality in mind over framerate.
That's exactly what increasing GPU speed and decreasing CPU speed is, and that's how the SNES is designed.

In the case of the N64 the same design was enforced through software policy instead.

>> No.2135472

>>2135456
>That's exactly what increasing GPU speed and decreasing CPU speed is, and that's how the SNES is designed.
Some genres don't use CPU as much though.

>In the case of the N64 the same design was enforced through software policy instead.
Somewhat of a myth. Nintendo didn't allow games with highly noticeable z-fighting, but that's all. The rest of it is just a consequence of no microcode documentation and developers actually preferring image quality.

In the year 2000, do you want your game looking like a smooth pixelated mess from the mid 90s, or something that looks like a PC game albeit with a lower resolution and framerate? These days the former seems like a better option because we don't care about that shit anymore, but back then every developer WANTED 'realism'.

>> No.2135485

>>2132151
that six button controller though

>> No.2135490

>>2135485
>own 6 button
>the other 3 buttons are worthless on every one of my Genesis titles.

Such is life.

>> No.2135495

>>2135490
it's perfect for any fighting game of the time

>> No.2135501

>>2132129
Both NBA Jam and Street Fighter were better on the Genesis. Granted Genesis never got SFII:WW and SNES never got CE but when it came to comparing, SNES always came out on top

Even lower tier stuff like Clayfighter or BALLZ, SNES always looked and sounded better.

>> No.2135516

>>2132789
>Fuzzy CRTs in the past helped the illusion.
Fuzzy CRT's nothing. When I got a Sony PVM Ranger X was one of the first games I played on it with RGB. Crystal clear graphics and it looks amazing.

SNES fag here. Ranger X was the game that made me want a Genesis.

>> No.2135568

>>2131882
>vastly superior
I agree, whether I like it or not
>hunch
do the same and admit the CPU on the MD WAS faster, like it or not

>> No.2135572

>>2131918
no, he's saying he felt like it had better contrast. he's talking about perception and asked for healthy discussion, not smartassery and lame jokes

>> No.2135602

>>2132317
Sonic CD had Mode7 special stages. Did the Mega CD add rotation and scaling or was that the 32x? What the Mega CD didn't improve were the colors

>> No.2135614

>>2132772
>It's called Genesis in one country only
>Everyone should call it Genesis
Right.
WIth that said the other guy is an asshat, the saying is indeed "Genesis does what Nintendon't" since that was an American advertisement to begin with.

>> No.2135616

>>2135614
That one country...is muurica. So...it's genesis for all.

>> No.2135624

>>2132379
Get a better source on this, but I think that for those two processors, which were more or less from the same era and were designed for more or less the same applications, having a clock that's around two thirds faster matters.

>> No.2135628

>>2131891
Outlander
Sega's 1st person driving with extra type of enemies and more explosions vs 3rd person on SNES
Hard mode:
Considering the music both of the versions are pretty much the same, but SNES sounds way to tame, for an post apocalyptic racing game it doesn't have enough hype in it's tracks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRoWdX9a_oM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB8uUmMMOC4
vs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16e-F4HYUgk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcLphFjAiSI

>> No.2135631
File: 17 KB, 350x215, jesus_haha_no_answer_1_xlarge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2135616

>> No.2135636

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=ufVi3aL6ol0

>> No.2135660

I remember two things when I first saw snes compared to my mega drive.

1. It had more colors
2. It was choppier with less enemies (final fight vs streets of rage 3 for example)
3. It could do classical music, but the rest sucked, in particular the farting guitar thing

>> No.2135669

>>2132632

LOL.

you took a game with fairly awesome sound design to prove your point.

>> No.2135771

>>2131875
>inb4 flamewar

Looking back on it both consoles were amazing. I am glad to have owned both at one point. Has anyone ever made a side by side pick showing the great games for each console?

>> No.2135830

>>2135501
Turbo was actually a port of CE. And Gen never getting World Warrior? No big loss not getting the first one, with the fewest characters.
Anyways, both systems got Super.

>> No.2135835

>>2132046
>>2135614
It was an American advertisement about Genesis vs. NES. Those ads predated the SNES.

>> No.2135858

>>2131864
SNES and Genesis are like Pepsi and Coke. One is better but the other has a strong loyal following.

>> No.2135909

>>2132632
Since the chip is difficult to program, Sega distributed its own driver for it which a lot of developers used, and it happened to sound like ass. Anyone who bothered to write their own driver was generally able to produce much better sound, which is why there is a stark difference between certain games.

>> No.2135957

>>2131891
>HARD MODE: and has better SFX/music
There are a lot of games with better music on genesis IMO, better graphics not too much but that's obvious.

Anyways, have this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkcTtW-qzC0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdjt5_cAyzU

>> No.2135960

>>2131864
SNES was technically more advanced, but it was much slower. The Megadrive could do in pure muscle a lot of things what the SNES did in hardware.

Also, smaller colour count meant that they had to pay more attention to what colours they use, hence better contrast. The more colours you have on the hardware, the more lazy the designers can be - hence why so many of the digitized graphics from the 32bit era looked complete shit.

>> No.2135962 [DELETED] 

>>2132632
They didn't even bother to use PCM in that game, and i prefer the music from Bloodlines a lot more to CV4.

>>2132689
>implying this doesn't sound cool as fuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm7sT87AXFA

I want the /v/-SNES fans to go away from /vr/.

>> No.2135963 [DELETED] 

>>2132632
They didn't even bother to use PCM in that game, and i prefer the music from Bloodlines a lot more to CV4.

>>2132689
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm7sT87AXFA [Embed]

I want the /v/-SNES fanboys to go away from /vr/.

>> No.2135964

>>2132632

>>2132689
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm7sT87AXFA

I want the /v/-SNES fanboys to go away from /vr/.

>> No.2135974 [DELETED] 

>>2132151
SF2 better on SNES? bullshit.

A shame Capcom fucked up the voices on genesis though, but the SNES voices are fucked up too, they are sped-up/cut due to memory limitations.

>> No.2135983

At least in the 16 bit era there WAS a difference between consoles and trade-offs for manufacturers to consider. Now everything is just a PC in a different box (the original Xbox being the worst offender)

>> No.2135985

>>2132151
SF2 better on SNES? bullshit.

A shame Capcom fucked up the voices on genesis though, but the SNES voices are fucked up too, they are sped-up/cut due to memory limitations, still a bit more acceptable than the vanilla genesis voices.

>> No.2136413

>>2132129
>Street Fighter II
yeah right, enjoy your 64 colors

>> No.2136471

>>2135964
>>implying this doesn't sound cool as fuck
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm7sT87AXFA [Embed]

Hot damn was this NICE! Wish the guy had done more.

>> No.2136519

>>2132151
>>2135985

Ehem.

http://youtu.be/hZOrpJP7DUw

>Still underestimating the true power of the genesis
>implying that capcom didn't choose mustard color scheme because American 90s Kids Harcore BS DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE

>> No.2136558

>>2132632
>not knowing about the GEMS fasco

in Japan, devs used either normal japanese sound drivers and knew about FM synth code to begin with, and so did the europeans, but americans were fuck lazy and have their priorities screwed up by "90s Kids" hence why guitars and ear rape.

so they stuck to a shit sound driver called GEMS which was a tracker and was easy to use but it sounded like ass, some guys even tried to overwrite their own instruments on it, to make it marginaly better, but even the "good" sounding US genesis games (GEMS based or not) sounded weak at best compared to the orgasmic nature of japanese and european sound drivers.

for instance, let's compare:

typical GEMS genesis music which shitty instruments that ranges from farty, blippy and whinny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urIbfgayLdo

and here's an european Genesis game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqyEbu8cmMg

Here's a "good" sounding US game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi7Z7D58gj8

and be prepared by your biggest ORGASM in your life!

http://youtu.be/ZqJQxWgOjJo?t=10m44s

>> No.2136562

>>2132632
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjlxBZwSLEc

>> No.2136569

>>2136519
Ew. Why waste the effort in modding the Genesis version SF 2 when you're not even going to re-insert the far superior beta soundtrack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xSnPyfQsCw

>> No.2136592

>>2136558
god I hate GEMS so much

>> No.2136601
File: 2 KB, 132x90, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2136558
So what we can get out of this is..
The japanese are music gods!

>> No.2136608

>>2136558
>>2136592
The best GEMS are probably Earthworm Jim games.
Also, a typical difference between JP and western is the use of the PSG. JP games use it as an integral part of the music, while western game marginally use it, usually for sound effects at best.
Only Jesper Kyd gets away not using it and sounding good.

>> No.2136749

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is a thoroughly beautiful game, even today. In my opinion, no SNES game can beat it in any aspect.

>> No.2136756

>>2132632
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3DB94DBC511EB0D3

The very game OP posted man.

Also, do I really need to mention the sonic series

>> No.2136776

>>2135602
Sega CD had built in rotation and scaling, in hardware.

Everything that the 32X does is entirely in software, it doesn't exactly have a VDP. It does have a high-color framebuffer that it overlays onto the Genesis's video output though, and the CPUs are more than fast enough to do that in software.

>>2136608
>Jesper Kyd
not going to lie, I keep thinking about how much better he'd be if he noticed that the PSG even existed, haha

but hot damn, he's easily the best western Genesis composer, especially his work on AB&R

>> No.2136782

SNES can display more colors on screen, that's about it. Lower resolution, slower processor. Heavy use of addon chips, too.

>> No.2136804

>>2136776
>but hot damn, he's easily the best western Genesis composer, especially his work on AB&R

Maybe in terms of technical finesse, yeah, but I think Matt Furniss takes that honor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMJxjqbVxoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv88yT-Ksfg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWpVI5j2Ums

>> No.2136819

>>2136558
>all dat autism

The reason isn't because "hur dur, 90's kids, guitars", it's because American music is generally louder/heavier, influenced by a lot of the hip hop, rock, and metal music that started and grew here.
Comix Zone is one of the best examples of American music in Genesis games, and beats the shit out of a lot of the artsy crap I hear in JRPG's of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyyutNbEgiE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K0ptgHzJ_A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6QJ1m7EQ3I

CONT-

>>2132632
Because you're a fucking idiot.

>> No.2136825

>>2135858
>Pepsi and Coke
Both are shit?

>> No.2136840

>>2136819
>bad song (I like Comix Zone, but it's got really weak music).
>okayish song that I'd still never use as an example of particularly good music
>not even a Genesis song linked (that's from the PC version)

>> No.2136847

>>2136840
>not even a Genesis song linked (that's from the PC version)

>playing the console versions of games when superior versions exist

No excuse. If you wanted to play top-of-the-line North American games, they were on the computer.

>> No.2136853

>>2136847
That's outside of the point. The main problem was that, due to the common usage of GEMS, most US made Genesis games sounded like ass. You failed to provide evidence to the contrary.

>> No.2136854

>>2136847
>top of the line anything
>on computer

>> No.2136856

>>2136840
Dude, even the Genesis version is fuckin rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMTPJLWA7Mk

>> No.2136864

>>2136854
I'm sorry, are you mentally challenged?

>Turrican
>Monkey Island
>Prince of Persia 2
>Dragons Lair

>> No.2136874

No mention of Zero Tolerance yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNTNTYQtaAE

Listen to that shit.

>> No.2136883

>>2136874
oh god, I actually like this game (it's not great, but it's enjoyable enough)
but the music is truly some of the worst on the system

it is extremely impressive, visually though (even if it only uses a third of the screen for the play area)

>> No.2136890

>>2136874
I think I have brain problems because I kind of like it.

>> No.2136891

>>2136558

Agree with a lot of your points, but I don't think it's fair to use Time Trax as an example of Euro composers on the whole, because Tim Follin is a fucking wizard.

>> No.2136892

>>2136853
>You failed to provide evidence to the contrary.

To be fair, most console games back then had shitty soundtracks. Japanese were no exception. Go back and listen to Sonic's soundtrack...It's...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WklPJsbnDTc

Dat fucking ear-ache.

>> No.2136896

>>2136892
I don't really see the problem, man.

Then again, I like chiptune and music made with old PC soundcards, so I'm probably in the minority with that.

>> No.2136902

>>2136892
What exactly is wrong with that music? Other than it not being the greatness that is Sonic 2?

>> No.2136904

>>2136890
It's the simplicity of it. They didn't have much, but they managed to make it sound spooky and ominous as fuck.

>> No.2136906

>>2136896
>>2136902
>The squelching high-trebble
>the ear-piercing notes that drag on for 5-6 seconds at a time
>the blocky rhythm

I'm surprised I didn't go deaf as a child listening to so many games with this quality of music.

>> No.2136908

>>2136890
>brain problems

Yes, you must, it's called "having taste".

It's a rare disorder that only affects a minority of people, but those that it does effect, have the strong urge to be pulled towards the more unique and well-produced forms product. See your doctor today.

>> No.2136909

>>2131928

uhh turtles in time had shitloads of guys on the screen and always played fine for me

>> No.2136910

>>2136906
>ear piercing

Turn down your volume, then. There's nothing wrong with it.

>> No.2136913

>>2136909
>turtles in time
>shitloads of guys on screen

Yeah, in the arcade version.

>> No.2136917

>>2136910
I know the nostalgia goggles tend to be tight around here, and in a lot of cases, there was genuine quality to be had back then, but seriously, Sonic's soundtrack is more on the "ear rape" side of things. As for the volume, I already have my computer's volume set to 50%, and I'm using head-phones.

>> No.2136924

>>2136917
Not him, but I have full cans on and I don't really see the problems with sonic. I don't really hear squelching high treble or any ear piercing notes, and the rhythm is just fine.

I'm not really seeing the issue, guy.

>> No.2136926

>>2136917
I just listened to the whole thing. There's maybe 2 tracks featuring anything audibly unpleasing. And another 1 or 2 that are boring/bad. Occasional overly high pitched sounds is something present in anything that used video game console on-board sound. FF7's battle music, for example, has some unpleasantly high pitched midi sounds that are obnoxious every time you hear them.

None of that is "ear rape". This is ear rape:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g46qhEjGs

>> No.2136927

>>2136926
Wow, that is genuinely unpleasant.

>> No.2136941

>>2136819
Did you even listen to my examples?

>> No.2136951

>>2136927
That it is. Some people don't have perspective on these things. THAT is bad.

Shockingly, Sonic, using a 10 channel chip, doesn't sound as good as studio synthesizers. There's nothing wrong with it, though. Not liking harsh synth is a matter of taste.

>> No.2136957

>>2136892
>>2136892
>rookie bait

Dude, seriously, try again, if anything the only fault of the genesis games that utilize that japanese soundriver is that it's a basic one,

The SMPS (which had a few variants like the Z80 and the 68k).

http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/Mega_Drive/Genesis_Sound_Engine_List

Sounds good, but it's pretty basic, and there are indeed far superior sound drivers, but cmon man, anybody would rather stick to any basic SMPS over GEMS any day.

>> No.2136970

>>2135614

Hey Canada is a country too!

>> No.2137032

>>2136924
>>2136926
Then I guess it's just a preference. I don't find retro music particularly "amazing", though there are some exceptions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9cznwHK0Ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdpSLF_9sXs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBVUrk7Q55U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouTRmfrBjOw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz1wlcZnhv8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3syHZ-AJeoM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCS2DINBYAg

>> No.2137085

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9fNkGMuwS4
I remember hearing this and thinking it was genius when it first came out then read all the gamer mags out there slamming it calling it shit. I still have both my SNES and Genesis shiting in my closet. Good times.

>> No.2137091

>>2137085
>I still have both my SNES and Genesis shiting in my closet.
Well, geez, it's got to be quite the mess in there, m8.

>> No.2137109

>>2132704
They sacrificed motion quality for image quality like an N64 game. There's nothing impressive about a game running at 30fps.

>> No.2137297

>>2136892
dood, you're using an emulator recording.
you don't ear those highs on a real console.

>> No.2137908

>>2137085
> genius
> randomly generated music

>> No.2137925

>>2136558
don't forget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkMXOWFgB5M

and also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b18RLdMMJ9Y&index=1&list=PLirSddeMOYZ4PmDoymoNUwdoXoTsSQapR
(honestly the whole soundtrack is fucking great, just listen to it)

>> No.2137946

>>2135614
I often just say Genesis around here because it's faster to type out and avoids spastic flame wars with the occasional rotten apple ameritards.

>> No.2137947

>>2131882
Well, it does run faster and has a larger number of more flexible registers, but all operations take at least 4 cycles (usually more),so it mostly balances out.
However, if you use 32-bit operations on the 68000, you'll come out on top, as you need fewer instructions (and therefore less memory bandwidth).

>> No.2137952

>>2137908
Randomly generated melodies, which is perfectly appropriate for the genre. Melody is not an important part of techno.

E.g. this 1998 release sounds very similar to SoR3 music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gKySI0u8Jw

>> No.2137965

>>2136558
>That Vectorman sample
Half of that was shoddy emulation. Here's a closer to hardware example:
http://youtu.be/oT8yT-fMM3o

>> No.2137979

>>2137952
I intensely dislike music like this.

>> No.2137985

>>2136819
Comix Zone is GEMS. So are a lot of fine sounding games. Even given its limitations, a competent composer could work magic with it.

On a side note, I wish people here would stop posting Genesis songs from Professor G's channel. They are clearly captured trough inferior emulation and more often than not do a poor job of replicating the actual hardware. Use sources like The 16-bit Audiophile Project instead.
https://www.youtube.com/user/16bitaudiophiles

>> No.2138035

>>2137979
I like techno. Yuzo Koshiro likes techno. If you prefer house then naturally you'll prefer the SoR2 soundtrack, but that does not make it a better soundtrack. The goal in both cases was to bring the sounds of real club music to the Genesis sound chip, and both soundtracks were a great success within the limitations of the hardware.

>> No.2138054

>>2138035
I'm a different poster than the one you were discussing that with. But it is so damn dull. Reminds me of the sort of forgettable techno soundtrack you'd see in a Playstation era game. You have to admit that dislike for SoR 3's soundtrack comes from the fact that people generally don't like music with no melody.

>> No.2138065

>>2132704
it doesn't use more colors (hell, do a color count in your image editor)
the transparency effects are actually something the VDP supports (highlight/shadow modes)
it runs at 30fps

I love the game (it's fantastic), but it takes some severe cuts for the way it looks.

>>2138054
I love SOR3's soundtrack just because it puts you perfectly in the mood to punch the shit out of people. It's excellent for the game, pounding as hell. And SOR3 does have its memorable bits, having a decent bit more variation and musicality in its tunes than that track above.

I don't think it's a good as SOR2's, but I do think it fits the game perfectly.

>>2132169
>*megadrive

there was no ad campaign that went
>Mega Drive does what Nintendon't
none, ever

>> No.2138076

>>2138065
SoR3 instruments sound way worse than 2 or even 1.
It doesn't help that the game has worse graphics and is stupidly unfair in western versions.

>> No.2138090

>>2138076
>worse graphics
stop

That being said, the instruments are deliberately grating in SOR3. It's going for that harsh techno sound, rather than the cleaner sounding vibe that SOR1 and 2 have. It's far, far, far more aggressive sounding, right down to the drums.

and yeah, JP Bare Knuckle 3 is the only way to play the game (other than the remake), SOR3 is indeed stupidly unfair

>> No.2138103

>>2138090
when you play with RGB cable, game is way grainier and has worse dithering ; playing with RF of composite hides this. They changed character color paterns for no reason. No Max nor Adam, instead we get that stupid Zan.

I mean, I really tried to like the game, all extended moves on 6b pads (although it make you want to spam those move even more), the return of 2p moves.

Also, as far as techno track go, SoR2 has one that is better than any of 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFbI2JWPUfU

And as someone said on sega16, "Batman & Robin soundtrack is everything that Sor3 wanted to be"

>> No.2138121

>>2138103
>And as someone said on sega16, "Batman & Robin soundtrack is everything that Sor3 wanted to be"

Word. Link related, 16-bit audiosurf.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n_eHN-ArK8

>> No.2138230

>>2138121
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXfX4B3v9SM

I still can't fathom how the ym2612 can output this amount of fucking bass

>> No.2138283

>>2138230
I'd love to hear metal covers of all of this game's soundtrack

>> No.2138490

>>2136892
>Dat fucking ear-ache.

Surely I'm being baited right now.

>> No.2138567

>>2138103
I dunno, I don't find the FM instruments in AB&R to be as nice as SOR3, although I do find the compositions to be loads better.

They have a similar sound, but approach it from different angles. I like 'em both.

>> No.2139506 [DELETED] 

>>2136917
Emulators recording tend to sound scratchier than real hardware, pleb.
Are you going to say this old 89' genesis game is ear-raping too? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8CKjUYkdzM

>>2136926
Did you know that the japanese Marble Madness port is different to the USA one and pretty much arcade perfect?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18dmHAmwab0

>>2138230
That's again, shitty emulation, try this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wPRwE6ItnQ

>> No.2139508

>>2136892
>>2136917
Emulators recording tend to sound scratchier than real hardware, pleb.
Are you going to say this old 89' genesis game is ear-raping too? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8CKjUYkdzM

>>2136926
Did you know that the japanese Marble Madness port is different to the USA one and pretty much arcade perfect?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18dmHAmwab0

>>2138230
That's again, shitty emulation, try this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wPRwE6ItnQ

>> No.2139514

>>2139508
goddamn now I think that megadrive version is better than the original due to no stupid trackball controls

>> No.2139558

>>2137297

I can confirm this, the extra high pitch doesn't come up on a mega drive which makes the music one of the best of all time in a video game

>> No.2139607

>>2139508
>9 minutes
I have a .vgz file that says the music is 18 minutes

>> No.2139630

>>2139607
that's because rips typical go through 2 loops.

>> No.2139705
File: 8 KB, 223x226, bored-as-fuck.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2137979
I don't hate this myself, but I do find it intensely boring.

The song just doesn't go anywhere.....there's no "drop" as the kids call it.

It's like a car continuously revving its engine, but never taking off down the street.

>> No.2139714
File: 269 KB, 400x400, 1418357164764.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2137952
I... I think that might be my proverbial jam right there.

>> No.2139716

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcDHTvDug18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXrgQt56pbg

>> No.2139805

Yeah I remember playing street fighter champion edition on the genesis and then playing it on the snes and saying to myself "fuck, sega has it down with the speed on those hadoukens." SNES slows down after your second hadouken hits your opponent. The only thing bad about genesis was the symphony of farts music.

>> No.2139827

>>2139805
>The only thing bad about genesis was the symphony of farts music.
Are you deaf? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51cEDCcfLAo

>> No.2139840

I was just playing this earlier;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0dXEdi18CU

Not a bad example of atrocious SNES samples, bad instruments, and ear-splitting pitches.

>> No.2139848

>>2139827
Not this game in particular had the fart music it was other games like Zombies Ate My Neighbors and that horrible Taz-Mania game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBvbCaMz-1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0B5h6wLooc

The worst sound that a genesis could produce was in these two games.

However, here is a good example of music that a genesis could produce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG1c2U4ld2Y

>> No.2139853

>>2139840
ilikeit

>> No.2139859

>>2139630
Heh, I guess that theory checks out

>> No.2139867

>>2132047
Dude, not even being facetious, could you point me at some reading to learn about FM synthesis? I can do samples and subtractive synths all day, but FM baffles me.

>> No.2139880
File: 154 KB, 757x482, thehybrid-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MRKjLmVZBA

My favorite Mega Drive soundtrack. Just wouldn't sound the same on a SNES.
Seriously, give the whole thing a listen.

>> No.2139897

>>2139880
sounds great

>> No.2139942

>>2138103
Someone said something on a no-count website.
Jesper Kyd is a fucking hack. The Batman and Robin sounds like a pathetic plagarization of SoR3. Subterrania has, without question, one of the most obnoxious, ear grating video game osts I've ever heard. The Devilish ost posted abit back has more technical artistry, clarity and rythme than all of Kyd's 16bit sputterings.

>> No.2139949

>>2139942
he, tommy tallarico, tim follin and matt furniss are the only westerns who knew how to use the megadrive soundchip

and im not a weebo either, every western game does sound like shit

>> No.2139958

>>2139942
>plagiarization

sure, show us the similar tracks pls
oh wait, you can't

>> No.2140035

>>2139942
0/10 apply yourself. I want Koshiro to make FM drums as good as Kyd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=debnDYnQDMM

>> No.2140346

>>2137925
same dudes as with Alien Crush (TG16) and Jaki Crush (SFC)?

>> No.2140351

>>2137985
>https://www.youtube.com/user/16bitaudiophiles

okie

>> No.2140363

>>2139848
>awful GEMS music that tries to be funny and cartoony
>those awful 16-bit sunsoft looney tunes games

KILL ME!

>> No.2140370

>>2139942
>The Devilish ost posted abit back has more technical artistry, clarity and rythme than all of Kyd's 16bit sputterings.

I want to give you a thousand blowjobs dude!

>> No.2140428

>>2139867
>http://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/mth192/pages/dx7/manuals/prgrmdx7.pdf
This article is a big read, but it goes really in depth on programming a DX-7, and a good deal of it can be applied to programming Genesis sounds too, since the Gen sound processor is a lot like a scaled-down DX.
>http://www.geocities.jp/sam_kb/VOPM/
An excellent and free VST synth based on the Genesis sound processor. The envelope graph seems a bit buggy for me (I run it though a VST>AU wrapper to use in Logic) but it's plenty powerful once you know what you're doing with it.
It's really all about getting a feel for how different carrier/modulator frequency ratios will sound.

>> No.2142801

>>2140346
I think so.

>> No.2142879

>>2131893
Ghouls n' Ghosts is an amazing port for 4-megabits and for 1989, Super Ghouls n Ghosts looks a bit better but it's a 8-megabits game and has tons of slowdowns in comparison.

If you want good animations on genesis check Alien Soldier.

>> No.2142905

>>2142879
super is a brand new sequel, not an arcade port

>> No.2145667

>>2135614
>in one country
That's a bit disingenuous. Let's not forget that ONE country has half the population of the entirety of Europe or 2/3rds of the entirety of the EU.
But no, let's just call it one country because then we can write it off like it was fucking Luxembourg or some shit.

Let's also not forget that 20 million of the 40 million sold were in the U.S. and 2 million were Majesco Genesis 3 models. Vs the mega drive/ tec toy mega drive 3 at 18 million.
That is to say, four million more people called it Genesis than Mega Drive.

>> No.2145673

>>2135624
>having a clock that's around two thirds faster matters.
It would if wasn't roughly 5.5x slower per Mhz, being that everything it did was like 2-6x the amount of cycles per instruction. But you know yeah whatever everyone forgets that whole point.

>> No.2145675

>>2140346
>>2142801
Nope. The MD version was ported by Technosoft the brilliant guys behind Thunder Force and Elemental Master. Devil Crash MD is way better than the original.

>> No.2145684

>>2145667
South America + Europe > United States

So, Mega Drive.

>> No.2145696

>>2145684
Except south america was also Genesis 3. Did You forget the part where 50% of owners of that consoles were in the U.S. alone or are you still going to stick to 2 places > 1 place bullshit? As I already stated, 4 million more people called it a Genesis.

>> No.2145698

>>2145696
>As I already stated, 4 million more people called it a Genesis
Or rather I should say, 4 million owners. Whether that correlates to more friends also calling it a Genesis, well we'll never know. For all we know of the 18 million mega drive owners, they all had 12 friends call it a mega drive when they stopped over to play and the 22 million Genesis owners were all alone and had no one to play with except when X-band came out which means no additional non owners called it that.. Really there's no way to tell how many people comparatively used one term verse the other or how many heard one term over the other. But as far as owners, there were more Genesis' sold than Mega Drives

>> No.2145702

The Nips called it Mega Drive, so it was Mega Drive.

>> No.2145708

>>2145702
Oh yeah, well it's called SeGa - Service Games, from fucking Hawaii a U.S. by a couple of Americans and they only sold 5 million in Japan which is fucking pathetic. So fuck the nips for not appreciating what we gave them.

>> No.2145712

>>2145696
What about Japan? Then it's 3 places > 1 place

>> No.2145713

>>2142905
I know, it doesn't change what i said.

>> No.2145718

>>2138090
>stop

No, he is right, BK3/SOR3 has worse graphics. Less colourful, less detail, less special effects. SOR2 had parallax scrolling up the wazoo, extremely good use of colour palettes, and one level even rotates the background back and forth.

SOR3 tried to be more photographic and less cartoony, but it just ended up looking more boring.

As for gameplay, the game has fucked up balance in every which way. Even BK3 can be utterly fucking boring in many places (the train level is the worst offender), while SOR2 never slows down for a second.

>> No.2145719

>>2145712
Oh totally, you know what they say three wrongs makes a fuck you or something like that.

>> No.2145724

>>2145718
SoR3 has more character detail. The colourfulness is more aesthetic than graphically good or bad.

>> No.2145730

>>2138065
>I love the game (it's fantastic), but it takes some severe cuts for the way it looks.

I've had the game for over 20 years and I never even noticed the framerate thing until someone on /vr/ pointed it out.

Back when we were kids and playing it on a kiosk unit (I ended up buying that copy), everybody was absolutely creaming their pants when the level erupted in a nuclear inferno and screen-sized four legged walking bug came out of nowhere. And that was just the FIRST boss fight of the game.

The game did not take any severe cuts to achieve its graphics.

>> No.2145737

>>2145724
>SoR3 has more character detail.

The sprites were redrawn to be much less cartoony. It was a so-so decision. The backgrounds are practically all worse however.

>> No.2146142

>>2131864
SNES was more visually superior, along with it's audio as well. Not to mention a way better game library than the Genesis. However I had both and loved both. So I'm not going to say which one you should like better, but the SNES had more powerful hardware.

>> No.2146179

>>2146142
>but the SNES had more powerful hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa3MGYV1FYA#t=224
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQJu6wqQagQ#t=104

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXgRHVf32tU#t=646
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG8ysd3P4Ss#t=385

kek

>> No.2146189

>>2146179
Just look at the games you just compared, you obviously chose better Genesis titles to go up against those, how about pairing up a good beat em up game with another one. Such as Turtles in Time. And I'd like to see such brilliant works such as the Donkey Kong Country trilogy work as good on a less superior console such as the genesis. I mean if you're really trying to "outdo" my post that much, please try harder anon. keeeeeekkkkk nigga keeeeeekkkkk

>> No.2146198

>>2146189
>Such as Turtles in Time.
its called hyperstone heist on the genny and it runs quite a bit faster

>> No.2146207

>>2146189
Just because your little console has more colors doesn't mean it's more powerful, they are different things m8.

Turtles in Time? ok, that game has tiny sprites and only shows 4 enemies on screen, i have another game to compare with that thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ArV62e0fg#t=673

>> No.2146216
File: 9 KB, 250x250, buzz_and_woddy_toy_story_meme.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Genesisfags, Genesisfags everywhere

>> No.2146221 [DELETED] 

>>2146216
not even muh of a fanboy, but its annoying because snes fans are using that academic quote that the 9600 processor is faster than the motorola 68k when its obvious that the snes cant render as many sprites on screen as the genesis.

>> No.2146226

>>2146216
not even much of a fanboy, but its annoying because snes fans are using that academic quote that the 9600 processor is faster than the motorola 68k when its obvious to anyone who ever played an arcade port that the just snes cant render as many sprites on screen as the genesis.

>> No.2146229

>>2146226
The only good games on the Genesis was Mortal Kombat 1, the Streets of Rage series, and Sonic the Hedgehog games. And of course a very few others but they were still quite mediocre.

>> No.2146234

>>2146229
ebik :^)

Are SNES-fags the worst fanbase ever? i'm saying this as a SNES owner as a kid.

>> No.2146235

>>2146229
Mortal kombat 1 was better on snes even though there was no blood
The controls are 500x better.

>> No.2146236

>>2146229
cool opinions
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-best-sega-genesis-games-hidden-gem

>> No.2146241

>>2146216
I think it has more to do with the fact that the Genesis has been unfairly maligned by so called e-celebrities and the more US centric video game media in recent times than any left over console war grudges or fanboy favoritism.
People can be overly sensitive though, both systems had their merits and flaws.

>> No.2146259

>>2146241
and besides everyone knows the pc engine was better than both of them

>> No.2146263

>>2146229
>>2146235
MK1 was pretty bad and inaccurate on both systems, but I did have a better time overall with the SNES version.

>> No.2146272

>>2146263
The SNES version did right the graphics and sound effects, but the Genesis version had the better gameplay, resolution and the blood thingy. The music is somewhat more "accurate" on SNES, but i really original music by Furniss on genesis.

>> No.2146287

>>2146259
PC-Genjin/Bonk > Mario and Sonic.

>> No.2146292

>>2146272
The almost total lack of voices and poor sound effects really ruined the Genesis version for me. The fatalities were basically silent.

>> No.2146296

>>2146292
Same happened to a lot of people that cared about the fatalities/blood and got the SNES version.

Well, at least things were a lot better with MK3/UMK3 in both consoles, and MK2 was neat on SNES.

>> No.2146302

whats even the point of the fatalities, if you've seen them once you've seem them all

>> No.2146314

>>2146235
>Mortal kombat 1 was better on snes even though there was no blood
>The controls are 500x better.
God no, it felt like the whole game was on a ~5 frame delay and the physics were so fucked it was effectively impossible to do a combo of any kind

Ironically some of the censored fatalities in the SNES version were pretty cool

>> No.2146323

>>2146314
>Ironically some of the censored fatalities in the SNES version were pretty cool
I'll agree with that. The Sub-Zero shatter and the Raiden disintegration were actually creative, and the screams made them genuinely scary even without blood. The Kano and Johnny Cage edits were weaker, though.

>> No.2146397

They're both such great systems. My head would explode trying to pick a winner.

>> No.2146403

>>2146397
My parents loved me enough to get both, they both have a special place for me.

>> No.2146459

>>2132169
Sega Megasis

>> No.2146461

Anyone got comparison screenshots?

>> No.2146462

>>2132317
Did it enhance anything concerning color?

>> No.2146478

>>2146462
No. That would require changing the GPU, which is something only the 32X did.

>> No.2146526

>>2146478
I see, thanks!

>> No.2146532

>>2136891
Agreed.

>> No.2146542

>>2132317
>A little known fact

Not that little known. When the machine came out, magazines kept talking non stop about how great the Mega CD is at scaling shit just like the SNES, and that it had a faster cpu as well. The PCM chip was also taken advantage of by a lot of games since it was something fairly simple to do.

The reason why all that extra gear was little used is because you had to jump through hundreds of hoops to get them working, due to how gimped the entire expansion port was. It was a data port, not a cpu expansion port.

>> No.2146546
File: 102 KB, 555x545, 1318905423776.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2136926
>Ear rape? I wonder what game Anon is talking about
>mfw

I didn't even press play.

>> No.2146759

>>2146542
>Not that little known
We live in the post-AVGN world.

>> No.2146815

>>2131864
Try both versions of Mr Nutz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGFh_-claYs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arE3hFOQYy8

>> No.2146824

>>2146478
It did not replace the gpu, it actally worked more or less like a framebuffer layer where you could have the extra colors I think

>> No.2147528

>>2136558
>Using Tim Folin as an example
Not at all fair. Dude made every system he touched sing.

>> No.2147563

>SNES was more powerful than Genesis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sAZWWbY4n4

>> No.2147594

The "better contrast" is because a higher contrast image needs fewer colors.

>> No.2147598

>>2147528
Absolutely beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ski1R0AML0

>> No.2148619

>>2147528
>Not at all fair. Dude made every system he touched sing.
That's by definition the best example you can give. You want to have someone show what the system can do at it's best realistically. Not showing what it can do is misrepresenting it.

>> No.2149367

>>2136558
http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/Mega_Drive/Genesis_Sound_Engine_List

>> No.2149395

>>2146189
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBMsjAAgPO0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sAZWWbY4n4
suck my fat one

>> No.2149660

Hey can the few annoying Amerifags in here quit stubbornly calling the Mega Drive by their own made up fat worthless lazy bitchy whiney amerifag name already? That'd be great.

Thanks!