[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 70 KB, 605x452, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2131339 No.2131339[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I posed this question before, but I think my thread got pruned because I wasn't clear enough...

If you're male, why do you choose to play as the girl character in Pokemob Crystal? Maybe I'm just full blown autist here, but I cannot play as the girl character simply on the merit that I'm a guy.

This is a serious question, I'm not trolling or saying that choosing the girl character is wrong. There are plenty of games where the protagonist is female by default. It just seems odd to me that you'd choose a character of the opposite sex when you're given the choice. Am I wrong? What drives you to select the opposite sex character when you have the option of playing as a character of your own gender?

Gender selection becomes more common beyond the /vr/ era, and more and more I see guys opting to choose the female character. I'm just genuinely confused, and I feel like I'll get the most respectful discourse on /vr/. So to stay on topic, let's stick with Pokemon Crystal for the example.

>> No.2131350

>>2131339
On pokemon crytal you have to chose between Silver (male) or Crystal (female) so actually the protagonist by default should be female..

>> No.2131351

Because I wish I was a girl in real life. ;_;

>> No.2131359

>>2131351
So much This
Go to /vp/, it's full of traps

>> No.2131360

For me, I find them attractive, and would rather look at, and also imagine, the character I see most of the game is a girl, even if the graphics aren't so great.

Yes I'm a helpless pervert.

>> No.2131382
File: 107 KB, 371x479, Rose.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've always chose the Boy option too OP.
For some reason tho, my roommate really likes playing as girls on games.
On mario cart and SSB, he's always Rosalina and Samus
i think he might be a little gay tho lol

>> No.2131395

I've noticed that a particular male games journalist on a blog that shall be nameless always mentions that his characters are female in games where you have a choice. I think it's hip as of lately to go with the female character to prove to people you aren't sexist. Or something. Also, I don't think it's odd to go with female characters in fighting vidya or kart racers. RPGs strike me as strange personally, mostly because you're role playing. As a female. Yet you yourself are a male. Wtf?

Metroid is always fun, and the protag is female. Same with Tomb Raider. But why would you play as a female Shep in Mass Effect if you're a dude? Or a female in Destiny? Sorry, I know those examples aren't retro, but I think it's relevant to OPs point. I blame SJWs.

>> No.2131398

>>2131395
>RPGs strike me as strange personally, mostly because you're role playing. As a female. Yet you yourself are a male. Wtf?
So you can roleplay a wizard, an orc, a robot, countless other things that are completely off the wall, but if someone roleplays a female character it's suddenly WTF-worthy to you?

>> No.2131403

>>2131398
>someone who is male roleplays a female character*

>> No.2131404

the guys who pick female characters are either white knights, sexually hopeless, or sexually confused. No other options exist.

>> No.2131412

>>2131404
OP here. This was always my opinion, but I have no proof to back it up. More importantly, I'm looking for someone who typically makes this decision and a serious reason as to why.

>> No.2131414

I play whichever is more visually appealing to me because I'm not autistic.

>> No.2131417

>>2131395
>Metroid is always fun, and the protag is female. Same with Tomb Raider. But why would you play as a female Shep in Mass Effect if you're a dude? Or a female in Destiny? Sorry, I know those examples aren't retro, but I think it's relevant to OPs point. I blame SJWs.
I'm sorry that most of this post will be non-vr.

I bought Mass Effect with my 360 because it was $20 and I'd heard it was a good game. I played it almost entirely blind. I created my Shep and he was a dude--I am, after all, a dude. I played through 1 and 2 (the only ones available at the time) and I loved it. Then I decided to replay it and make a few different choices--kill Wrex and Kaiden, etc. I also chose to be a female.

Part of this was the fact that, as MaleShep, I only got to experience half the content I bought, strictly speaking. If I played as FemShep I could hear the same dialogue delivered in an entirely different way and even story choices that were the same could have a different meaning when I saw them spoken in a different voice by someone of a different gender. I also got to fuck Thane, that was cool.

After a while I noticed that really, the only person I need to please when I play a game is myself. I started a LTTP play through with the intent of finally beating it. In any Zelda game I would always name myself Link.

This time I called myself LANK, and imagined everyone in LTTP was Southern. The game was always hilarious after that.

I'll pick a girl if I feel like doing that. Nothing drives the "choice." If it's a game I'm familiar with, playing as a girl can make it seem new and different, the way choosing a new class would, or changing your party in an RPG. I'd never try to claim I play as females because it gives me some sort of status; I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks about me. Games are all about fantasy so why not engage in it? I don't name my family in Family Feud after my last name; I name it the most racist or hilarious thing.

>> No.2131423

>>2131412
Do you always name your RPG characters the default? In my new FF8 game, Rinoa is named "a cunt" so that all dialogue surrounding her is hilarious, like, "We need to help a cunt!" and "You're working with a cunt?"

If it's more entertaining to be a woman today, then I'm a woman. Also, I'm not insecure about my manliness because I'm not 12.

>> No.2131425

>>2131414
Okay, >>2131404 here. I actually picked a female on mario golf because she had balanced stats and was one of the better looking player characters. Other than that i stand by my original statement. If they are both visually appealing, and have the same stats then OP you had your question answered it's the hopeless pervs. Pervs that pick female character models are okay though, those awful white knights can fuck off though.

>> No.2131427

>>2131423
It's not about insecurities. It's about playing media in a way that most relates to me.

>> No.2131434

>What drives you to select the opposite sex character when you have the option of playing as a character of your own gender?
What drives you to play as a lizard man when you're a human in real life?

Learn to roleplay in a roleplaying game

>> No.2131440

>>2131434
>lizard man
>not lizard woman

>> No.2131446

>>2131434
>roleplaying as a woman
yah no thanks, I don't need to be an emotional wreck that has a period every month.

>> No.2131447

>>2131417
I played a FemShep because mine is an adaptation (personality only, I didn't make an avatar of her or anything creepy) of my CO. In all honesty, she's the person I most admire in all the years I've served in the military.

Otherwise I just hit random character or flip a coin unless there is some canon reason to pick one gender over another (like DQ3).

>> No.2131453

Anyway, I usually pick guys if it's a generic avatar for yourself. But if the game's got it's own set of characters then I do tend to pick the girls.

I don't really know why. I am into strong strong women. As the protagonists in games tend to be.

>> No.2131468
File: 234 KB, 500x745, fa148837c5b209b1fd29a026b62a3729.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've preferred playing female characters for a long time, long before they became a hot button issue (I'm also very anti-feminist and anti-SJW). I also prefer female characters in anime. I don't really know why... I guess one reason is I like looking at female characters more, which shouldn't be very abnormal (wanting to dress them up might be, though). I don't have any problems identifying with a female character, and I don't think gender is such a big deal anyway (in games and fiction at least).

>>2131427
It's typical for Westerners to want characters and stories to be a reflection of themselves, which is why "most players are male" is the go-to reason for explaining why most player characters are male, and why there's an endless amount of articles where the author complains he/she can't identify with a player character because of differences in gender or race. This isn't the case in Japan, which is why female characters in their games have always been so commonplace.

>> No.2131472

>>2131395
>RPGs strike me as strange personally, mostly because you're role playing. As a female. Yet you yourself are a male. Wtf?
Yes, you're playing a role. You are pretending to be something you aren't. Isn't that the whole point of a Role Playing Game in the first place?

>I blame SJWs.
For other people enjoying a game in a way you wouldn't want to play it? Why do you have to "blame" anyone for that? Does their enjoyment detract from your own?

>> No.2131473

>>2131412
Girls are cute and if I have the option to dress up a cute girl in cute outfits (frilly dresses and shit, not chainmail bikinis) I'm going to take it almost every time, unless it's the sort of game where female assets were added in last minute using male skeletons and animations. Also, when it comes to story, I usually experience it as an observer, so gender doesn't really matter. Sometimes playing as a male character can be even be a detriment to the story, if they're supposed to be "me" but they're making all the wrong decisions.
I don't doubt that there's some guys who just love ogling sexy women who can't glare back at them, but I suspect they're mostly playing player modifiable games like Skyrim that better facilitate their fantasies. I don't think anyone above the age of twelve is booting up Street Fighter just to stare at Chun-Li's legs.

>> No.2131475
File: 61 KB, 541x630, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2131446

>> No.2131478

I play high-charisma females in Fallout 2 so that I can be a filthy slut and fuck random criminals for favors and free drugs

>> No.2131479
File: 73 KB, 604x404, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2131478

>> No.2131484

Sooo... Chris or Jill?

>> No.2131493

Because the character isn't me, its a video game character. I like looking at chicks.

>> No.2131513

>>2131339
specifically in pokemon, I always saw the player-character as being named after the version...

Red's player was RED
I figured Blue was the game of RED's rival, so in that, you're BLUE.

Gold = GOLD
Silver = SILVER
Crystal = CRYSTAL, but that's a girl's name, sooo....to me, the "default" player character in that game is female, just as you outline here:
>There are plenty of games where the protagonist is female by default.

On to the topic on the whole:
>It just seems odd to me that you'd choose a character of the opposite sex when you're given the choice. Am I wrong?

Nigga, I feel weirded out when I play Deus Ex because the race selection for JC Denton is
>New York Jew
>o'malley the new york fucking potato nigger
>al-Isa Ackbar Denton, the fucking counter-terrorist terrorist
>Rajesh "john currynigger" denton, the fucking tech support character
>and boo radley denton, the creepy albino who kinda looks like matlock.

I mean, there's no "normal fucking white guy" or "normal goddamn nigger", so self insertion is hard. At a certain point, you just have to realise: it's a fucking character, so deal with it.

>> No.2131529

If you are really old like me then when you were a kid one of your first video game memories was beating Metroid and then, at the very end of this long and arduous quest, finding out that you are, in fact, a hot chick under all that armor.

I think this event has made me always want to play the chick. Because I think Metroid is a pretty cool guy. Seh kills aliens and doesnt afraid of anything.

>> No.2131553

>>2131395
Dude, you must be talking about Kotaku. They do that shit to score feminist points.

>> No.2131590

>hurr why would an author ever create a character that isn't the same race, age, gender, hair color, eye color, and occupation as themselves

Self insert characters are the epitome of autism. Create whatever character that fits your interpretation of the game's story.

>> No.2131591

I used to think like that OP, then I tried playing a gril once and loved it, oh what a slippery slope, now I can't play male characters if its an option.

>> No.2131593

>>2131590
Boys and girls think differently. Men use logic to solve problems women break down into tears until their problems are solved. It's not the same as hair color faget.

>> No.2131596

>>2131593
Fictional characters can act in whatever way you want them to act.

Westerners really are bad at telling the difference between reality and fiction.

>> No.2131606

More appealing character designs. I hate how male characters have such a bland look.

>> No.2131607

>>2131596
I want my fiction to follow real life though. It's more immersive that way.

>> No.2131609

>>2131425

Whatever? I mean, I can't comprehend how you care so much about something so bizarre and petty.

>> No.2131610

>>2131607
>real life
>pokemon

I remember being 7 years old, too.

>> No.2131613

>>2131607
Then you have a serious lack of imagination.

>> No.2131617

>>2131613
no I just have a different imagination. I can Just because I choose not to doesn't mean I lack anything. you're talking to someone who floors his car pretending its an f-14 while humming the afterburner theme.

>> No.2131621

>>2131473
>unless it's the sort of game where female assets were added in last minute using male skeletons and animations.
If you don't mind, what are some examples of this?

>> No.2131647

>>2131339
because she's cute
that being said, I usually pick the boy anyway in Crystal

if I pick the girl, it's to do the color change trick (so you can play as the boy, but with a blue color palette on the map -- IIRC, it wears off though)

>> No.2131684

>>2131621
Oblivion was notorious for this, though I'm sure you could find many examples among older games. Just look for really broad shoulders on females, it's a dead giveaway.

>> No.2131825

>>2131339
I, too, normally choose the guy as the player character in RPGs and the like because I view the player as an extension of myself. In games where the player character is a self-insert, I will usually pick the one that aligns with my own sex and the handle I normally use online/in video games.

In recent years, I've become more lax about choosing the ladies. Sometimes it's because I find them attractive and want to look at them. Other times, it is pure intrigue, to the effect of, "I always pick the guy. Maybe I should pick a lady this time."

In games where there are many playable characters, sex is irrelevant, unless there is an uneven balance of male or female characters for some reason. In general, I would just choose who has the most appeal to me.

>> No.2132304

What makes you choose between a warrior, a mage and an archer?
It's kind of the same thing. The character you play as rarely is "you". While some people have fetishes, some others just go with whatever they feel like (me included, but I feel like I'm the minority here).
I like playing as female in fighting games or side scrollers just because boobs.
In RPGs it depends. I never played a pokemon game so I wouldn't know. On some games, it makes no difference at all, even if you replaced the character for a banana, the dialogue would remain the same, and when so, I go for whoever pleases me the most. I remember playing a game where the male character option sucked ass, visually I mean. So I went with the female character.

That being said, we live in an age where the number of people that bitches over feminism is higher than ever, even though most of them don't really know anything about the subject.
That and the fact that the rate of gender acronyms is rising as fast as the prices of retro games on ebay, makes the "female" character the safest option.

>> No.2132309

Eh, depends.
If the main character is supposed to represent the player in some way (any game with character making), I choose a guy.
If the character has a pre-determined personality and appearance I usually choose the girl.

>> No.2132336

As a girl who usually picks the girl, you made me curious about my own choices. Why not pick the dudes? What's the reason for a guy to pick the guy character just because it's a guy?

Anyway, for me, I think it's:
1. in any beat-em-up or similar the girl tends to be the fast but weak character, which is my preferred playstyle.
2. I generally pick the "cutest" character. If the guy is cuter than the girl, I pick the guy and vice versa. (Notably, when playing AvP2 I and my two brothers picked one campaign each. I picked the Alien campaign because it was, relatively, the cutest option.)

If there's anything out of the norm, though, that girl character can go die for all I care. If I can play as a penguin or dog or robot or little kid, I don't give a crap about its gender and if I have to pick between a regular dog and a pink dog with lipstick, I'm going for the regular one because goddamn, the pink animals with a bow tacked on are ugly. It's all about the visual appeal.

>> No.2132340

So on /vr/, every time one anon has an opinion that another anon disagrees with, the non-stop shitposting like "go back to /v/, kid" ensues.

Here you guys are, taking a /v/ "are you a boy or a girl?" daily repost thread seriously without just reporting or at the very least saging it.

If you guys were as mature as you claim to be, the /v/ threads like this, furry, and waifu garbage wouldn't be creeping up like it has.

>inb4 some crybaby autist starts spamming replies

>> No.2132470

>>2131607
>I want my fiction to follow real life though.

That must really limit your choice of games,

>> No.2132506
File: 177 KB, 450x678, outside.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2131607

>I want my fiction to follow real life though

>> No.2132507

>>2131484
Jill. Every time.

I just can't pass up the gold mine of voice acting her scenario has. Chris's is just bad or mediocre but doesn't have any really memorable lines. ALL the best most quotable RE1 lines come from Jill's scenario.

"I hope this isn't Chris's blood!"

>> No.2132528

Because girls are cute, and I like cute things.

>> No.2132539

I don't see why people identify with game characters as themselves actually. That's not you, that's some kind of puppet that you control like a capricious god. In that sense, playing as either a female or a male character makes sense, your avatar is just a tool you use to interact with the world, your very own Jesus when every player is a different god.

You can choose to take care of them, or punish them, or abuse them, or guide them like a loving parent. Treating the character as actually being an extension of yourself is like, almost schizophrenic or something.

>> No.2132552

Because I like staring more at girls sometimes. Also it depends on the game too. If I can get something like a female love interest with a female character, I might find that more amusing than that same character with a male protagonist.

Also it's like picking between Samus or Master Chief. I'd pick Samus because a female bounty hunter felt/feels cooler. Or at least it did when such a thing was rare.

>> No.2132574

By OP's logic, I shouldn't play any video game where the only playable character is a girl.

>> No.2132585

>>2131403
>someone who is not a wizard roleplays a wizard
>someone who is not an orc roleplays an orc
>someone who is not a robot roleplays a robot

>> No.2132697

OP here, and I think a lot of people are missing the point. Say you are a male, and you get the choice between a wizard, Orc, etc, and you get to choose the gender of said class, you chose the opposite sex. Why? That's all I'm asking. I don't know some folks are offended by the question.

>> No.2133040 [DELETED] 
File: 44 KB, 125x90, hsien-ko-leilei.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2131395
well in fighting games its a non-issue because you should play characters that suit your style over what gender they are or anything else for that matter, RPGs and other things where it doesnt affect anything is where the decision becomes of interest

>> No.2133104

>>2132697
Why not?

>> No.2133132

>>2132585
I know right? Only otherkin should play as their own race.

>> No.2133139

>>2132697
I want to be the little girl.

>> No.2133178

>>2132697
In RPG vidya I usually only choose a female character if the male one is ugly. In tabletop RPGs, I occasionally play female characters just because I'm actually playing and portraying a role, and sometimes I feel like playing a character who happens to be female.

>> No.2133185

I'm a woman trapped in a mans body.

>> No.2133191

I'm playing as May currently in that-non-/vr/-related-game only because May is way cuter and more fun to look at. Especially when she changes into her contest costume. In XY, I chose male because I can actually customise him to look like me. I can't imagine myself as Brendan at all.

>> No.2133263

Only Nintetards could make a big deal out of an insignificant part of a video that has been a part of gaming since the ascii rpgs.

>> No.2133273

I pick the boy unless the boy looks absolutely retarded. For instance, in Diamond, I play as the girl because the boy looks like a retard with a football for a hat.

>> No.2133428

>>2131412
I'm a straight male and always make a female character. For me, it's not even about having eye candy or self-identifying as a woman. I find the whole zero-to-hero rpg trope more engaging when it involves a female. I wish I could be more thorough in my justification as well as convince you that it's entirely non-sexual from my perspective, but I lack the prose necessary. The human psyche is a complex animal, but I assure you that I'm attempting to be as genuine and frank as possible. I just get more enjoyment out of it.

>> No.2133435

It literally doesn't fucking matter what gender you choose, unless it's like RE where one of the choices is objectively better.

>> No.2133436

>>2133185
Hold on I'll look for a zipper

>> No.2133441

I'd rather play as a girl than as someone who looks like a faggot.

But if the guy character is fine then I'll usually pick him.

>> No.2133448

>>2131339
>Legend of Mana
Choose girl because the guy looks like a huge faggot.

>Secret of Mana 2/Seiken Densetsu 3
All girl party. Main character Lise, then Angela, then Carly. I chose Angela and Carly because they're easier to manually control and cast spells. I chose Lise as main character because I really like spears as a weapon.

>Donkey Kong Country 2
Used Dixie pretty much 99% of the time because Dat Hair Spin. Very useful in making precise jumps. Same for DKC3.

>Final Fantasy 6
Terra & Celes always in my main party. ALWAYS. Reason? Who needs one, they're Terra and Celes.

That's all I can think of for now. Oh, the Rogue in Diablo 1 was female. That was forced though. Same with the Sorceress and Amazon in Diablo 2. I made so fucking many Sorceress's and Necromancers...they were the most fun classes in the game for me.

>> No.2133449
File: 681 KB, 800x800, HARMONY.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2131339
I usually make an attempt to do 50/50. Have 2 save files, one for each gender; or, in games where you can switch characters partway through, balance them. It feels really satisfying getting all of the characters' names to go by in the end of Super Mario Bros. 2. Besides that, it's neat seeing all the different dialogue options. Also, I know when I was younger, I'd play Pokemon games with whichever character was in the anime at the time. That meant going through Kanto as Red/Ash, and Hoenn as May. I felt a need to be playing as the most "canon" character in the game somehow.

Recently, though, I've been leaning towards female if there's no extra save or switching. It might subconsciously be the SJW thing I've seen a lot of people mention here. Like, it's possible that I feel that women are more emotional so I can relate to them better; or since I feel girls are less inclined to act violently, I subconsciously feel any acts of violence I commit are justified; or, if there are multiple players and the game is RP-heavy, it's a lot easier to either be manipulative or play a more submissive/passive character, which can be fun.

I think one part of it is the big prejudice against Mary Sues and self-inserts. I constantly fear that I live out power fantasies through projecting myself into games as the main character in order to make up for my NEET-ish life; or in simpler terms, I'm scared I'll become Chris-Chan. Also, when I named the PC after myself in Shining Force as a kid, some of the insults the villains flung at me struck me pretty hard. So, in a way, I've been trying to distance myself as much as possible from the PC. Girls make that easier.

I'm honestly just as interested in the OP as finding out why I play as grills.

>>2131593
I thought it was like this for a while. Then I learned that in Alien, Ripley was originally written with a male role in mind- and everyone says that she's a great example of a feminist protagonist. So now I'm just confused.

>> No.2133740
File: 59 KB, 599x275, 1417729465396.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2131607

>MUH IMMERSION

It's a video game you jackass

>> No.2133818

>>2131339
The reason I chose to be female in Pokemon Crystal was because it was different. It was the first female character choice in Pokemon and I was interested in a different type of playthrough.

>> No.2134236

>>2131398
This.
Disclaimer: I don't play as girls.

>> No.2134250

>>2133449
>I thought it was like this for a while. Then I learned that in Alien, Ripley was originally written with a male role in mind- and everyone says that she's a great example of a feminist protagonist. So now I'm just confused.
There's two Ripleys, really. There's Ripley in Alien and then in Aliens.

Here's the thing: Ripley was indeed originally written as male in the script, but everyone was. The script came with a note that genders were basically interchangeable.

Ripley becomes strong over the course of the first film but she's already a strong character too. In Aliens though, she is explicitly written as a woman, and the entire arc for her hinges on the fact that she is a mother.

>> No.2134276

Well, duh, to see the little details that change.
Most of the time, in PG18 -or whathever, you get what I mean- games, it involves getting freepass on something in exchange for sex, but sometimes it's something interesting.

>> No.2134293

>>2134236

It's just because its indicative of someone wondering what it's like to be a girl, which shows bi curious impulses, and this culture is homophobic.

Like, how is this not entirely obvious?

>> No.2134307

>>2131446
>choose to play as a woman
>don't have periods
>don't leave blood trails all over the environment
>wolves don't track me by my blood
Immersion ruined.

>> No.2134316

>>2133449
>Ripley was originally written with a male role in mind- and everyone says that she's a great example of a feminist protagonist. So now I'm just confused.

She is indeed a strong example of a great female character because they put in her the most defining traits of a good woman.
Men are all about strength, victory and emotional struggles. Those are the main male traits - feeding the family, supporting and overcoming obstacles, conquering.
Women however aren't about that. They're about enduring, surviving and being pragmatic/cold thinkers. That's why Ripley is a good female character, because she isn't simply a male protagonist being played by a woman, but actually a woman character.

>> No.2134323
File: 1.35 MB, 1500x7200, the-50-genders-of-facebook_536cfcafde58c_w1500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>2014 A. D.
>still only to choose between only two options: male and female
>mfw male cis scum still exercising oppression on people who cannot identify with either of aforementioned gender roles
>mfw i have no face

>> No.2134341

>>2131339
I just choose whichever gender because I don't really care. There's not much thought in it other than "Oh, maybe I'll create a woman this time." I don't really give a shit.

I did find it funny when I was younger and I'd have a friend who would refuse to play video games with me if he had to play as any girl character "because that's gay."

>> No.2134345

>>2134293
The next logical step of our society is most people being bisexual instead of straigh, and it's already happening.
I can't remember who said that, I think it was a european sociologue.

>> No.2134352

>>2134345

I consider myself straight as an arrow, but I'd suck a pretty girl's dick if she had one.

>> No.2134362

>>2134352
nothing wrong with sucking a girly penis

>> No.2134385

I play the one that has the more interesting design. There really isn't any more to it for me.

Although I do find that more then not that female characters have more interesting / visually appeasing designs, and their male counterparts being plain in contrast.

>> No.2134415

>>2134293
>which shows bi curious impulses

All that a male playing as a female PC means in terms of sexuality is that they like girls, and they want to admire them from a first-person perspective as well as second and third. At least, that's how I see it. Could be totally wrong.

>>2134250
>>2134316
Ah, thanks for cleaning that up.

It strikes me a bit odd that genders can be interchangeable with this difference between struggles, but I can see how it can be written like that.

>> No.2134421

Fact: The only people who choose female are either degenerate perverts who masturbate to their pixelated avatar, or faggots who want to be girls (I don't mean regular homosexuals who act like men and like men)

>> No.2134428

>>2131404
I play as female characters because both genders are sexually misrepresented. If I'm going to be staring at an ass for 18+ hours, it's going to be female.

>> No.2134429

>>2131423
I usually do. Except in Final Fantasy 9. in FF9 everyone is their real name except steiner, who I caleld Meioh because it was the 90's and Sailor Moon was the shit.

>> No.2134432
File: 72 KB, 560x451, Piggy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2134421
Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. I played a couple of games with a girl who always chose a female avatar. She was a complete faggot who wanted to be a girl.

>> No.2134435

>>2134421
What if the female character is better?

>> No.2134436

>>2134293

Playing as a video game does not show you "what it's like to be a girl." You're overthinking the situation to an embarrassing degree on that front, but I guess your second point makes sense as to why dumb people care so much about this.

>> No.2134481

Self insert characters are cancer and OP is spreading the cancer.

>> No.2134507

>>2134432

Women don't pick female because women don't play videogames besides Candy Crush and you don't select a gender there

>> No.2134510

>>2134435

No such thing.

>> No.2134515
File: 147 KB, 850x450, Can't Easy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2134507
Seriously? SERIOUSLY? What version of Candy Crush are you playing?

>> No.2134518

>>2134507

so why are you on this board bitch

>> No.2134519

>>2134507
go back to >>>/v/

>> No.2134539

>>2134435
What if the female character is the mage class and you want to be a mage?

>> No.2134618

>>2131339
I'm a guy, I want to play as a guy.
If I were a girl I'd play as a girl.

>> No.2134635

For Pokemon Crystal I choose to play as the girl because her design is way cooler than the boy one (even though it's good too).

When it comes to other games that give the option of boy or girl it usually depends on how they look, unless of course the gameplay is altered based on my choice, then I just choose my favorite play style.

Gender is not something that I am fixated on in any sense. I am a male and I do go by "he & his" but it's not that important to me. If you wanted to consider me to be feminine or refer to me as "she or her" I wouldn't be bothered. It's not something that shapes my life in any way.

>> No.2134698

>>2134421
It's funny how butt-bothered normalfags get over this issue.

>> No.2134740

I always pick male characters for the most part, especially if it's a game I'm sticking with the character throughout. If it was a game where you start at the beginning each time I'd consider changing it up but I'm male, and I automatically default to choosing male because I am male, I identify as male.

The only exception to this has been not /vr/ but The Stick of Truth, because while starting out as male dressing as a female makes you feel so pretty

>> No.2134769

>which character looks cooler/better?
>which character's play style/personality/attributes most fit the way I play games?
>whose snippet of backstory sounds more interesting?

This isn't the sort of thing that's supposed to spark an identity crisis. Do you think those nutjob Christians were right when they said violent video games would turn you violent? If not, why would you be afraid to play as a girl?

>> No.2134797

>>2131412
Dat pixelated ass
what are you gay or something anon

>> No.2134803

>>2131593
tips fedora

>> No.2134814

>pick female avatar
>get free shit from betafags

>> No.2134845

>>2133449
>women are less violent
>70% of women admit to hitting babies to 'discipline' them, hundreds of times a year.
>they raise (or don't raise) both sexes. Males as primary care govees are vanishingly rare.
>the less violent sex
Thanks sjws.

>> No.2134852

>>2134845
Exactly. That kind of thought process I got into is unhealthy, and I partly blame SJWs for making me do it subconsciously.

>> No.2134904

>>2132340
Hate to tell you this, but I've been reporting and saging it.

Granted it's the weekend, but that's still no excuse for this thread. What does it even have to do with the board? OP was cleaned at first for a reason.

>> No.2135125

>>2134852

If you're scared of becoming Christ-Chan DON'T play as a female. Chris-Chan is literally playing as female now IRL.

>> No.2135197

>>2134845
That stat means nothing in and of itself.

>> No.2135224

This thread is /v/ cancer

mods pls delete