[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 48 KB, 640x480, impressive.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2109679 No.2109679 [Reply] [Original]

There's parents on /vr/ somewhere, I'm sure of it. So I have a question: what are some good games for parents and kids to play together in general?

I thought of doing Legend of Zelda or Super Metroid together, kid plays and parent makes the map/provides general encouragement.

>> No.2109691

Pretty much the first thing I plan to do if I ever have a kid is put Super Metroid in their hands.

I won't say it's my main motivation to become a parent, but damn if it isn't close.

>> No.2109693

Anything co-op, really. Just have a lot of patience. A LOT of patience.

>> No.2109704

>>2109679
My dad wasn't really into video games, but one thing we could always bond over was Mario Kart. I remember one Saturday night where he was playing it after I went to bed, and I woke up the next morning to find he'd taken the gold in pretty much everything, including the 150cc mode I didn't even know about, at the time.

>> No.2109705

>>2109679
Super Mario Kart

>> No.2109740

Any mana game really. Let the kid play first since it takes awhile to get a co op character. I forget if Legend of Mana lets you co op all the way through but think you need a save file ready for it as well.

>> No.2109747

A fun co-op game. Portal 2 maybe.

>> No.2109756

Only a few are /vr/ related, but any of the Mario Party are good family games. Also good for non gamer gf/wives.

>> No.2109765

Same thing I used to play Co-op with my buddies -- Contra NES.

>> No.2109769

Chrono Trigger.

Everything's easy enough to understand for the most part, and the characters are entertaining. And hey, if you use the SNES edition your child might actually come to like Ye Olde English before studies happen.

>> No.2109774

Is anyone else terrified of having children and finding that they share no interests with you at all? Like, I never thought anything of it, but my dad and me were polar opposites growing up, and we never enjoyed doing anything together.

I know it's not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it still worried me my children will want to go off and do stuff I have no clue about and won't ever be able to understand.

>> No.2109793

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Spyro The Dragon yet.

He's cute, bright, colorful, and really not too hard outside of some minigames. But most importantly: easy enough to get into for child's first video game that isn't educational.

>> No.2109832
File: 84 KB, 495x700, tumblr_l4z7kav9yZ1qzo5d8o1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Darius Gaiden. Everyone that I've showed this game to was immediately taken in by the fishy aesthetic and the difficulty is quite low by shmup standards thanks to bombs and shields keeping one alive much longer than any other would allow. Plus, taking them to Zone W will guarantee a good laugh at the end of it all.

>> No.2109840

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Kirby. Co-op, easy enough for younger kids or casual gamers, and also lots of fun regardless.

>> No.2110419

I used SMB. I played through a level as mario and he would try as Luigi. I had to kill myself so many times but it was worth it

He's currently playing Punchout and getting his ass handed to him by King Hippo

>> No.2110453

>>2109679
minigames in FF9 are fucking infuriating and impossible.

>> No.2110538

>>2109679

When i was a kid I used to play Crash Bash on ps1 with my grandpa and we had great time

>> No.2110547

>>2110419
Lol.
>>2110538
That's pretty sweet.

>> No.2110549
File: 27 KB, 704x739, 1375476095350.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2109691
>give kid Super Metroid
>OMG dad what the fuck is this shit, it looks like a toy or something for babies
>lol it isn't even in 3D wheres all the blood idk where to go how do I jump how do I shoot the game wont say this is boring i cant even tell what anything it it's so ugly and boring
>why didn't you get me Call of Duty Advanced Ghost Ops: GunShooter instead of this lame shit game

>> No.2110567

Kirby Superstars, the second player can die constantly and brought back to life constantly. Deaths only matter when player 1 dies. It's perfect for carrying an inexperienced player through the game, it's also a pretty easy game.

>> No.2110660

>>2110538
My granny and I played the Goof Troop game for SNES, and my Dad and I would play the two-player games in Super Mario All-Stars.

>> No.2110665

>>2110549
You overestimate how long I plan to wait before giving my kid this game.
The intro music will be playing in their crib when they sleep.
The first teething ring they get is going to be shaped like an SNES controller.

As soon as they stop putting the fake controller in their mouth, the real one is going in their hands. the kid will be 3 years old, messing around with the controller, and they'll be scared as heck when they accidentally wanders into ridley's room in the first area.

>> No.2110669

>>2109774

the difference is all kids love video games and cartoons and that you probably still like video games. your dad probably had a boring childhood even if he thinks otherwise.

>> No.2111175

>>2110453

>He couldn't get 100 nobles impressed

I bet you cant even skip eithier

>> No.2111186
File: 32 KB, 500x329, 1289724844665.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be me
>Never had a NES
>Nan bought one
>Used to sit there and watch her play with a cigarette in her mouth and glasses pushed up on her head taking out Robot masters like a boss
>mfw

I miss my Nan

>> No.2111520

>>2110538
>dem ball levels
It's a pretty fun way of playing 4-player Pong.

>> No.2111545

>>2111186
Kind of like my own, except for less video games and more ass whippings

>> No.2111548

Sonic 2 or Sonic 3. Let the kid play as Tails.

>> No.2113556

Not having children myself for another 10 more years but my kids will be spending a lot of time on emulators in general while they grow up so they can appreciate gameplay more than anything if they decide to take up gaming as a long term hobby. I cant really see anything being innappropriate in a decensitized future except for games like Conkers Bad Fur Day.

>> No.2113558

My kids will spend their childhood like I did: Terminator 2, Robocop and the original Star Wars flicks (on VHS of course) in the morning and SNES in the evenings.

>> No.2113572

>>2109679
Depends on a lot of things. Age of the kid, their gaming experience, both your interested and how much time you can spend.
Most old games are too much for very young kids. I played stuff like pokemon with mine when they were starting to learn to read. Since they needed me to help with words and the plot it let us play together, didn't take that much of my time, and also helped them learn how to read.
Easy coops are good to start with. Anything with short levels/check points and infinite continues. If you give them something they can't handle and they use all the credits they'll get frustrated. Coops where you have the ability to protect them without totally fucking up the game are OK as well.
Two player turn taking games are shit for young kids. They get bored and pissed off when they get to play for a few seconds for every 5 minutes you play. Same with any that have team hit. Leave those until they're a little older.

>> No.2113660

My dad used vidya as a decterity/coordination/attention teaching tool. He bought the first family computer in '95. The first game he bought was DOOM. I was 7. My time after school consisted of watching my dad play that and Dark Forces, too scared to play myself.

I'll never forget having a Halo: CE LAN for my birthday during high school, and my dad and sister hopping in for a game and outplaying half my friends.

>> No.2113671

>>2113660
>watching your dad play Star Wars
Probably the next best thing after the original trilogy.

>> No.2113674

>>2113558
>Terminator 2
Back when even R-rated movies wouldn't perma-wreck a kid's brain.

>> No.2113712

>>2110549
i feel you man.

>> No.2113889

Nowadays, it's kinda hard to think about it. Every kid these days have a certain degree of obsession with Angry Birds or Minecraft

>brother has a son of 3 years old
>nephew can't have fun if there isn't anything related to Angry Birds
>he spends a lot of time with the smartphone of his mother, playing AB
>he started to watch music videos of Minecraft last week

He sometimes comes to my house, and the first thing he asks if I can lend to him my "Pokeyman machine" (3DS). He just watch the Pokedex app, I don't let him play with it. That's probably the only thing that makes him forget that AB exists

>> No.2113903

My seven-year-old niece's three favourite /vr/ games are the original Centipede, SMB2 and SMB3. Her favourite non-/vr/ game is Mario vs Donkey Kong. She also likes the Alex Kidd and Wonderboy games on SMS a whole lot and New Adventure Island on TG16.
Her favourite multiplayer game is Bomberman '94 on PCE.
She's pretty awesome, despite being talkative and annoying.

>> No.2113946

>>2111548
>let kid play as tails

Huge mistake. Tails gets left behind way too often even if you're trying not to go fast.

Play Sonic 2 and YOU be Tails, then you can be the invincible savior for whenever your kid gets into shit they can't handle while also letting them play the game.

>> No.2113959

>>2110549
Well if your kid weighs 300 pounds and lives in your basement he might play old video games with you

>> No.2113965

>>2109679
Oh, ok. Well my son and I play a lot of modern games together like skylanders and Lego whatever (we have at least seven lego games).

When we do play retro games, it's almost exclusively Mario.

Not sure if we should get a Wii U, the price seems unjustified, like REALLY unjustified since we got our PS4 for 300 bones and they want 350 for their system.

>> No.2113980

>>2113965
Oh shit, and Spyro trilogy. Those were a big hit before skylanders invaded the living room.

>> No.2115292

>>2110665
6/10 good try.

>> No.2116127

>>2111548
you're a fucking dick

>> No.2118330

>>2109679
My daughter loves playing mario kart with me. Kirby Superstar as well. We have tried playing single player games "together" in the sense that I only provide help where needed, but she much prefers co-op. Also she is only 7 and is scary good at Halo 3.