[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 313 KB, 346x472, ps3god.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2106441 No.2106441 [Reply] [Original]

Phantasy Star III was kick ass

>> No.2106476

nope

>> No.2106496

I still don't understand how robots could poison you.

>> No.2106505

>>2106496
With their wiggling pecs, if my memory of PS3 serves me.

>> No.2106548

>>2106496

they come preloaded with poison. Duh.

>> No.2106572

Loved this game

>> No.2106610
File: 9 KB, 140x140, alis6.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2106572

sure you're not confusing it with the other ones in the series? Cuz three's pretty much absloute wank at worst and bland lifeless boredom at best

>> No.2106920

>>2106441
I agree, but I'm a sucker for generational story lines.

Blew my mind when I thought the game was over and you were choosing your bride then boom, more game with your descendant.

>> No.2106929

somewhat offtopic - how does phantasy star 1-4 compare to other 16-bit RPGs.

in particular - what interesting battle system / character development system mechanics are there? or is it just like a futuristic dragon quest

>> No.2106930

i hate the walking speed.

everything else seems aight

>> No.2106937

I didn't like this game at first. But the more I played the more I liked it. It has it's own unique style. Sadly I only ever did 1 playthrough.
Ended with Crys, I think. 100% Orakian. Fuck yeah. He was a heavy hitting motherfucker.
I really liked how the music had layers added as you got new party members. So when you had a full party it felt pretty awesome.
My only complaints about the game is the lack of an actual boss theme, and the absolutely retarded looking enemies. Holy fuck some of the enemies made me just laugh at their design.
Fighting what looks like a bunch of road signs ( seriously, road signs, with arrows and shit on em ) combined together? How the fuck is it even alive? How is it even moving?

Anyway yeah, I really liked PS3. I guess the ridiculous looking enemies add to its charm in some way.

>> No.2106954

>>2106929
>what interesting battle system / character development system mechanics are there?

The battle system is the same as in every other DQ clone ever. PS strong point was the story maybe the fact that it offers other planets to explore. Take in mind that PS was released in a point in history where every JRPG plot was a glorified fetch quest like rescue the princess or something on those lines.

>> No.2106984

>>2106929

Phantasy Star IV is basically the chrono trigger of the genesis, and holds up amazingly.

>> No.2106987

>>2106954
PSIV has a pretty good battle system. There were macros and fusion attacks. And the battles seemed a lot more involved than other games, with buffs and itemcasting and stuff being important.

>> No.2107065

>>2106930
There's at least 3 fixes for that.
I'm not even joking, there's a code, a patch and fast forward your emu.

>> No.2107102

>>2106505
Those were biological enemies, not mechanical.
PS games divides enemies into two categories, biological and mechanical and those were /definitely/ biological.

>> No.2107113

>>2106548
They're likely venomous rather than poisonous. Something venomous injects its venom into something via fangs, stingers or whathaveyou. It actively deals out/inflicts its toxin.
Something poisonous is poisonous to eat, breathe or, in some cases, touch or even in its vicinity (such as radiation poisoning). Its toxicity is delivered passively.

And now you know.

>> No.2107135

>>2106987
>>2106984

hmm sounds pretty good i might play eventually, but by the sounds of it i'm better off finishing snes rpg library first

>> No.2107287

>>2107135

you're really not. PS4 eats most top tier SNES rpgs for breakfast

>> No.2107564

>>2106929
They're amazingly ahead of their time but still feel kind of primitive compared to modern RPGs.

What I like about them is that they have a dungeon-crawling aspect that similar titles like FF and DQ didn't really capture

>> No.2108035

>>2106929
1: easily beats any 8-bit console RPG before DQ3
2: ditto. Good compared to the 8-bit RPGs which are its true contemparies, doesn't compare as well to 16-bit RPGs, there were yet none for it to outdo.
3: hohoho.
4: Bloody brilliant compared to the RPGs from any era. Makes the Final Fantasy series look like arse.

>> No.2108050

>>2106929
Dungeon crawling is the main hook, which the series has in spades.

Customization and combat-wise, you can mix your party up sometimes, do some combo attacks that vary between party members, in III you can even choose your next main character by choosing different wives, but generally the series doesn't even come close to the customization options and combat depth of FFVI, let alone V.

Overall I'd say Phantasy Star is much closer to classic Western PC RPGs like Wizardry and Might and Magic than console RPGs of the time. If that's what floats your boat, PS is up your alley.

As said above, PSIV is the definitive game of the series, easily the Genesis' FFVI or Chrono Trigger as far as pacing, graphics and story are concerned.

If you want interesting battle systems and character development that badly though, I am afraid PS is not for you. Aside from aforementioned macros and combo attacks in IV, PS games are bog-standard DQ clones as far as combat is concerned.

>> No.2108078
File: 1.10 MB, 1280x1603, 11cb23eefa3fd52519c30a4e3edc20aaf0a13711.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Seriously though, no, PS3 doesn't kick ass. About the only thing you could say in its defense is that even though its the third in the franchise, its still really old, being released in 1991, and predates the vast majority of better 16bit RPGs. But even by that metric, it is still way worse than Phantasy Star 2.

The main problems of the game come from the fact that it is clearly not a finished product. There's branching storylines, but no character development at all. None of the heroes after Rhys even HAVE a character. No, hair color isn't character.

The dungeons are half assed. You will not find a console RPG with more hardcore dungeon design than PS2. It is sadistic and gives no shits about it. 3's are boring.

The skill system is broken. There's a cool system where you can weaken skills to strengthen others. But basic attack is better than skills anyway, and restorative magic can all miss.

There's a cool system whereby the battle music changes depending on how the battle is going. But because the game is so easy, you pretty never hear anything but the goofy "easy" theme beyond the first hour or two of the game. Yeah, chapter end bosses are fought to the "easy" battle theme.

I could go on and on about everything that is bad about the game. But on the other hand: it was good enough that I finished it. There's no way you could get me to sit through shit that gets praised way more than this game does, like Lufia for example.

Phantasy Star IV is GOAT and the best RPG on the Genesis, assuming no CD attachment. It might even be the best even with the CD, as it has a really cool retro anime sci-fi aesthetic you won't find elsewhere. Phantasy Star II is also GOAT, assuming you like dungeon crawlers. If your idea of fun isn't mapping out dungeons, don't bother.

>> No.2108094

>>2108078
That hardcoregaming guy has articles on bad games that people play for fun the way people watch bad movies for fun. That's Phantasy Star 3. A game that is bad in enjoyable ways.

Also, here's the "easy" battle theme that is the default music you'll hear even on bosses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBsPbiQRtdY

Not even "bad" music per se, but really unfitting for what it is.

>> No.2108250

PS3 is a game you can enjoy despite its flaws. It has a really excellent science fiction storyline with some great twists.

also, dat village music.

>> No.2108260

I was too stupid to get used to that menu for the battles.

>> No.2108262
File: 16 KB, 640x480, 28-ps3_0053.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2108094
>A game that is bad in enjoyable ways.

It's really not.

the story is non existent the characters are dull and the world map is empty and dull. The world map music is devoid of life and any energy at all and the games color pallet is just...yawn inducing.

the game is beyond empty. Look at this shit there's so much unused space everywhere

>> No.2108265
File: 14 KB, 640x480, 5-ps3_0126.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2108262

so.....boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyUIFtxxbF4

>> No.2109083

>>2108262
The world map music gets more instruments the more party members you have.

>> No.2109517

>>2109083

it's still not good, plus Im going off memory on this one it doesn't pick up where you left off after battle. So you're likely never gonna here anything but the first few bits

>> No.2110078

They should remake PS2 and PS3 according to the ORIGINAL plans, with all the stuff that was left out for technical reasons.

>> No.2110147

>>2108094
Saying that PS3 is bad is pushing it. It has big flaws, it is only remotely connected to the algo story, and it's easily my least favorite 16bit PS.

That does not mean it's a bad game. The twists, the reasons why the world is modeled like it is, the generations... Some musics are good, the overworld getting fuller with party.

And I kinda like that music, it means you get closer to victory.

>> No.2110172

>>2110147
>admitting PS1 is the worst
BROFIST

>> No.2110181

>>2108094
>That hardcoregaming guy has articles on bad games that people play for fun the way people watch bad movies for fun. That's Phantasy Star 3. A game that is bad in enjoyable ways.
I don't suppose you have a link or something for this? Sounds like it could be a neat read.

>> No.2110203

>>2110172
>PS1
>16bit
dood...
I will say nothing about PS1 as I didn't play it throughfully.

>> No.2110210

>>2110203

??????

>> No.2110213

>>2110210
PS1 is SMS, which is 8bit
the MD PS1 that exists is just SMS game and adapter slapped in a cart

>> No.2111128

I'm playing PS2 for the first time and it's been a grindfest for a while. While it is fun and very challenging it is very time consuming for me and I don't have the time to train all characters I get. I just got to Zema and get Anna.

Any recommendation on who should I train? Is Nei getting any better? I heard she can't be swapped by other members.

>> No.2111321

>>2106937
>100% orakian
Nope.
You're always guaranteed to be at least partially Layan and Orakian by the third generation.
Crys being 1/4 Layan and Sean being 3/4. The others are 1/2.
>>2108078
Oh god. This fag again.
>>2111128
>Any recommendation on who should I train?
Curiously, I hear that Anna is preferred as the 4th member during an end-game party. Some disagree, but I've seen her pop up the most.
Some find that Hugh, Kain, and Shir are the "B-team" members but they can still be pretty good if you know how to equip and utilize them.
>Is Nei getting any better?
Eh, not really. She only gets a few spells/techs and that's it. She gets a bit faster and stronger physically, but most of her boosts come from dual-wielding claws, or rather "bars" as they are called. So just buy 2 of whatever new claw you find.
>I heard she can't be swapped by other members.
Yeah, about that...
Well, I'm sure you know already. But, if you got Anna and all, you're not far off anyways even if you don't.

Curiously, a lot of stuff mixes up in that PS2 remake.

>> No.2111474

>>2111321
>oh god

Deal with it, faggot

>> No.2111671

>>2111321
>Curiously, I hear that Anna is preferred as the 4th member during an end-game party. Some disagree, but I've seen her pop up the most.

All right, I guess I will ditch Hugh and Kain for now. I don't like those conditional skills they have.

Thanks, man.

>Curiously, a lot of stuff mixes up in that PS2 remake.
Crap, I just know this remake thing. Which is better?

>> No.2111676
File: 12 KB, 270x187, ps2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2111671
PS2 remake is shovelware that stayed in Japan for a reason. Artwork is horrid, and so is the music.

Well, to be honest, it probably didn't stay in Japan because it is bad. It probably stayed there because Sega HATE filthy Gaijin and are still butthurt that they were only successful because their consoles were popular in America and Europe. But that's another story.

>> No.2111826

>>2111676

and south america. SOUTH America fucking LOOOOOOOOOOOOVED that shit

>> No.2111885
File: 34 KB, 195x215, page108.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can we all agree Sean is the best 3rd gen protag?

>> No.2113225

Phantasy Star 3 wasn't as bad as people think. It's concept was interesting but it had some bugginess to it that made it weird. Also mandroid tit shaking.

>> No.2113240

>>2111826
Brazil =/= South America, my country was all about Nintendo.

>> No.2113268

>>2111321
>claws, or rather "bars" as they are called

That's a really odd mistake for the localization team to make, but I can kind of see where they got it. クロー (Kuroo) is the katakana for claw, but it's also the beginning of crowbar, which is クローバー (Kuroobaa). I'm guessing they assumed it was an abbreviation for that, but there's also her battle animations to go off of, so eh.

>> No.2113282

>>2113268
You act like in those days localization teams really even looked at the game and just localize the text.

>> No.2113436

>>2113225
What do you mean by that? People who haven't played it and are just saying its bad?

I approached the entire series with an open mind. The most I knew about 3 was that people didn't think it was that great. And it is pretty bad. Huge, empty maps that give it a definite "RPG maker" feel that is more common in bad SNES rpgs. Clearly unfinished content, and mechanics that clearly don't work as intended. It isn't unplayable, and I got some fun out of it, but I'd never recommend that someone play it for any reason other than "make up your own mind on it". It doesn't quite get the "its ok" mark of quality, but it at least gets the "its not complete garbage" one. 6/10 for innovation and some unique ideas.

>> No.2113471

>>2111128
Anna + Rudo until climatrol. Then Rudo + Anna + Kain for the dams and beyond, you can swap Anna for Amy on Dezo if you want, but Amy's healing is overkill... You want a party that kills enemies in 1-2 turns.

Kain's gaj techs work on Dezo dungeon monsters.

Anna's slashers lose effectiveness late game as you fight fewer but higher def monsters and can't equip nei cape, but there isn't any better option.

>> No.2113483

>>2106441
Careful OP, Sega might take down this thread..

>> No.2113521

>>2113471
>>2111128

Upshot is 4 is doable with just about all the party combinations. Though admittedly Raja and Kyra are the better (Raja being Mr Gamebreaker) but you can even win with Gryz

>> No.2113687

I skipped this one because of all the hate it got and just went to 4 and fell in love with 4