[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 630 KB, 1600x1157, NINTENDO-SNES-PROTOTYPE-PCB-EPROM-CARTRIDGE-BOARDS-GAME-DEVELOPER-CARTRIDGE-LOT7-3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2082314 No.2082314 [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone here own any prototypes? I'm looking for some firsthand experience, as I'm considering buying a prototype of a game from a series I've been collecting. However, I don't know anything about prototypes other than not to pull the stickers off the EEPRoms.

Are there any other considerations for storing it? (I'm amusing the standard keep away from dust, moisture, static electricity, etc. apply.) Is it safe to play one in a console? Is there even a point in buying one, or am I just going deeper down the collectorfag rabbit hole?

>> No.2082343

>>2082314
>Does anyone here own any prototypes?
I don't.
>Is it safe to play one in a console?
Yes.
>Is there even a point in buying one, or am I just going deeper down the collectorfag rabbit hole?
The development boards containing the prototypes can be used. Get yourself an EPROM programmer, and some blank EPROMs, and you can use that board to test your own homebrew on real hardware. Or you can flash another ROM on there and use it as a flash-cart.

Also, due to their limited numbers, they are worth far more than the actual games, so there is that.

>> No.2082719

>>2082314
Collecting prototypes in indeed just going deeper down the collectorfag rabbit hole. And the hole is the rabbits anus and you're using your tongue.
That being said, I have a few prototypes that I've stumbled across. So I can answer your questions. EEPROMS don't have stickers. If it has a sticker it's just and EPROM. In that case storing it away from light is a good idea. Whatever the case, unless you're absolutely sure that they have been dumped and made public, dump them. They will eventually loose their data and while other parts of the board can be replaced lost data can't.
If you do dump them don't tell a fucking soul. The result with be a shitstorm of entitlement generation emufags begging and threatening to add that ROM to the collection of thousands of other things they never play. A cart that hasn't been dumped is worth more and since you're a collector keeping it that way is in your best interest.

>> No.2082727

>>2082314
I have some. One of them was so early that it formatted the backup memory of the console, because saving was not yet implemented, it just formats the thing and puts its own save on it. That was fun to find out.

They are already dumped and released before you ask, and I want to re-sell them in order to buy more stuff to dump, but FOR SOME REASON no one fucking wants them.

>> No.2082740
File: 15 KB, 640x480, NO WAY I'M PAYIN FOR THAT SHIT.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2082727
>They are already dumped and released before you ask
>but FOR SOME REASON no one fucking wants them.
There's your answer. Dumping is a thankless hobby and once the job is done the hardware isn't valuable to anyone

For example, let's say you managed to get Socks The Cat and successfully dump it. Somebody might want it after you're finished but you definitely won't see me rushing to pay for the original cart.

>> No.2082746

>>2082740
>There's your answer. Dumping is a thankless hobby and once the job is done the hardware isn't valuable to anyone

I was sarcastic. I dumped the discs, and no one wants to buy them. Then again, no one wanted to buy them anyway when I grabbed them in the first place.

>> No.2082748

>>2082740
Still i dont see any point in being greedy and keeping it for yourself and risk fucking the cartridge up and losing it forever,dump it and let everyone else enjoy it otherwise dont buy it in the first place pretending to be some kind of video game historian.

>> No.2082763

>>2082719
>The result with be a shitstorm of entitlement generation emufags begging and threatening to add that ROM to the collection of thousands of other things they never play
I can smell your mad from here.

>A cart that hasn't been dumped is worth more and since you're a collector keeping it that way is in your best interest.
So he can make even more money reselling it to some richer collector? What does that have to do with his personal hobby?

Unless you fear to be threatened by the prototype's original owner, dumping the ROM and releasing it to every fucking site on the planet should be the first thing you're supposed to do.

>> No.2082787

>>2082763
>I can smell your mad from here
Idiot.
>Unless you fear to be threatened by the prototype's original owner, dumping the ROM and releasing it to every fucking site on the planet should be the first thing you're supposed to do.
Spoken like a person who's never done this before.

Once somebody obtains a cart, what happens to it is ultimately up to them. They could sell it, burn it, deface it, or parade it around the internet. They're not supposed to do anything just because you expect them to. Yeah it's lame but I'm just being truthful.

>> No.2082805 [DELETED] 

>>2082787
>Spoken like a person who's never done this before.

As a matter of fact spoken by the hundreds of prototype owners which always kinda give the same answer about the original owner being really close to the development team so any leak would give him full responsibility and that I can understand.

>They're not supposed to do anything just because you expect them to.

That applies to everything though, I'm only saying that if you don't dump a cart/disc you own and distribute it to the internet with the only excuse of its "value" you better start figuring out a way to become immortal, because hoarders have a dedicated circle.

>> No.2082821

>>2082787
>Idiot.
Idiot.

>> No.2082827

>>2082740
I don't really want to play the game, but I firmly believe it should be dumped for the sake of preservation. Just fucking give it the GPS without saying a word. Wouldn't be the only prototype they have without actually releasing it freely.

>> No.2082850

>>2082821
>being this new
Yeah whatever, keep bitching your eyes out over some game you won't get to play

I'm not condoning hording at all but you should always expect asinine behavior from collectorfags by this point.

>> No.2082891

>>2082850
>I'm not condoning hording at all
Then I'm sorry for picking on you at all, but there are people here which genuinely support hoarders for no other reason than pissing people off with some dumb rhetoric.

>> No.2083079

>>2082719
>>2082787
>>2082763
OP here. I'm not really interested in the value of it (aside from that fact that it's expensive compared to most of the other games I buy). Since I'd never want to break up my collection or sell it, I would get it dumped and released for anyone who wants it. (Although it's unlikely too many people would be interested in it.) If I got it, how would I find trustworthy people who have the ability to dump the rom? I know there's large communities of people out there who love this kind of stuff. Any recommendations?

>> No.2083219

>>2083079
Depends on what you have, I lurk a lot of forums and there's one guy named Chilly Willy who seems to be very on the level and knows a lot about this stuff

I'd go look for him at Sega-16, him and his cohorts could probably help you

>> No.2083503

>>2083079
First check to see if it's already been dumped. There's no reason to go through the hassle of dumping something that already has been.
If it hasn't and you want it dumped just let people know. Lots of people will offer and many will bitch about each other and eventually it will whittle it's way down to a couple people who have done it many times and have a good reputation with plenty of verifiable evidence. There is literally no reason for you to make any effort beyond that.

>> No.2083509

>>2083503
Are USB copiers reliable enough or could the peculiar structure of the PCB elude some parts of the ROM from being dumped?

>> No.2083554

>get proto
>dump it
>resell it
>release dump
>everyone is happy

>> No.2083639

>>2083509
Even a simple unknown mapper could do that. Best to dump the actual EPROMs. At least then you have the data. You could probably even reverse engineer the mapper based on the code. Other types of additional chips could cause more difficult complications.

>> No.2083867

>>2083554
This is the only logical way

>> No.2083910

>>2082787
>Idiot.

lol, great comeback junior

>>2083554
>>dump it
>>resell it
>>release dump

has it ever happened before?