[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 15 KB, 200x200, balloonfight_0005.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2058587 No.2058587 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone else a huge Balloon Fight fan? I sometimes feel like I'm the only one.

I've been trying to think of how you'd make a sequel to Balloon Fight/Balloon Kid. The same kind of multiplayer is a must, and with at least four players. I also think that being able to blow up and release balloons like you could in Balloon Kid could be an interesting dynamic. Perhaps when you release your balloons, you can escape certain demise, but at the risk of being vulnerable until you blow up another balloon. You'd have your two balloons, but after losing them you need to be hit one more time to lose a life.

Has anyone else thought about this kind of thing? Or just about anything Balloon Fight?

>> No.2058618

>>2058587
Huge Balloon Fight fan? Nah. But do I enjoy it? Most definitely. I always felt it was a more fun version of Joust.

>> No.2059087

>>2058587
It's a really cool game but a modern remake would probably suck.
I'd be content with some kind of romhack making small improvements.

>> No.2059095

Are you that anon who's collected a version of it for every console?

>> No.2059483

>>2059095
Yeah, that's me, or at least I'm in the process. I still need the two famicom games and Balloon Kid first and foremost. After that it gets expensive and hard to find, so I'll cool off until I've graduated and have a steady job.

Haven't decided on how I'll display it, but when I do I'll be sure to share it with /vr/ somehow.

>>2059087
Agreed. I'd work on a BF romhack but I'm not really interested in romhacking right now. Plus I'd rather that an upgrade use a new system to bypass some limitations of the NES (such as screen size). Tingle's Balloon Fight could have done it, but it got the physics all wrong.

>> No.2060576
File: 316 KB, 2560x1440, Mameui64 2014-11-11 11-52-50-31.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2058587
I hear that Vs. Balloon Fight supports two players running on different screens, but I'm not so convinced. It doesn't look at all like the screens are showing the same events. I thought it was implied that player 1 could look at one screen and interact with player 2 on the other screen. Is that not the case?

The screen scrolls vertically in Vs. BF, so separate screens would be very helpful.

>> No.2060613

Actually yeah, it's always been one of my favorites. Never got the chance to play Balloon Kid when I was younger so I'm just getting around to it.
Balloon Fight is one of those games I try to pick up for every platform I can, along with Super Metroid.

>> No.2060618

More of a Balloon Trip fan, but the main game is nice. They should crossover with joust.

>> No.2061310

>>2058587
I like how you can switch between co-op or competitive play just by declaring it