[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.64 MB, 640x480, Welcome to Round 3.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2047292 No.2047292 [Reply] [Original]

I assume quite a few of you have beaten Ghosts 'N Goblins twice in a row to get the real ending, but has anyone tried clearing the game for a 3rd time? Apparently, the difficulty ramps up with each consecutive round to reach insane levels of difficulty.

If you're willing to give it a shot, how far can you go?

>> No.2047297

nigga i never even played it

but i saw the avgn review a couple weeks ago and i'm tempted

>> No.2047357

>>2047297
gotta hate underage tards

>> No.2047361

I watched a guy go through 8 loops of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sb6UKXG2S0

He made it to the fifth level of the 8 loop. Watch and weep.

>> No.2047547

>>2047361
The arcade and NES are a bit different.

>> No.2047552

I'm sorry, OP, but I'm not that insane.

>> No.2047841 [DELETED] 

>>2047547
Ins't the arcade version harder?

>> No.2047845

>>2047292
>>2047552
same

>> No.2047846

>>2047292
Does it really increase between second and third loops? I've only beaten the arcade version. The NES/Fami port isn't crap, but it's vastly inferior, so there's no point in playing it. As for the arcade version, second loop is a bitt harder, but I'm not sure the third loop has anything new.

>> No.2047878

>>2047357
Not even underage, just a bitter technology hating mom that never allowed dedicated game consoles on the household, and not that many friends.

>> No.2047889

>>2047846
The difficulty between second and third loop on NES almost doubles I would say. Already the number of ghosts in the forest is like 3 or 4 more at once compared to the 2nd loop, and they shoot a lot more.

Almost every enemy in the game gets a serious speedboost. The zombies in level 1 zoom across the screen as soon as they show up and are all faster than you, so for once you actually have to be careful when dealing with them.

In the town, remember the ogres in the house, and how they start running after you when they see you? In round 3 they always move at that speed, so they can easily catch up to you. Not to mention that the ravens in that level cross the screen in like 2 seconds so they can come out of nowhere and simply snipe you while you try to deal with the ogres.

The Red Areemers are even faster than on round 2, though most tactics used to beat them in previous rounds still work.

The Cyclops/Unicorn boss always runs at max speed of the previous rounds too, as you can see in the webm. That means you have to get lucky when dealing with it or it will simply decide to trample you to death in a few seconds.

The Satan boss in the last two levels are much faster and shoot two spike balls at once instead of one. They also shoot more frequently.

I think those are the biggest differences I've noticed when playing round 3. Round 4 is even more difficult. I have yet to make it past the forest in the first level because the number of ghosts at once go up into double digits.

>> No.2047925

Firebrand is such a cunt in these games

>> No.2047940

>>2047357
Not everyone owned a nes.

>> No.2047986

>>2047357
I'm 26 and AVGN showed me Ghosts N Goblins. Though that was about 4 years ago.

Wasnt till ps1/n64 I got to buy my own games for consoles.

>> No.2047991

I've wanted to play these games. Should I start with this one or the snes one?

>> No.2048006

>>2047292
I beat it once, fuck the real ending, not worth my time.

>> No.2048010

I've played the Japanese arcade version, revision G quite a lot. I believe I cleared 3 loops and made it some distance through 4. I believe it was at default difficulty setting (though I think I inadvertently had one extra life added, so I guess I may have made it a little further than I would have otherwise... oops).

>> No.2048014

>>2047357

You do know it's very possible for people who's first console was a GameCube or PS2 to be 18 and browsing 4chan right. Hell I'm in my mid 20s and my first was an SNES.

>> No.2048015

>>2048010
Oh, and some tips for anyone playing:

Learn to quick kill the red arremers. Some you can easily kill before they really get a chance to take flight.
On the first fire bridge, just walk straight and ignore the little devil things. You won't get hit by them or the fire. However, this is not the case in the second loop iirc and you actually have to pay attention and avoid.
Farm for lives in the first section of the cave with the infinite zombies.
In the final tower, do not attempt to fight most of the arremers. Look on YouTube for plays of this level because a lot of said enemies can be "killed" by running back to the bottom of the tower while dodging them.

>> No.2048854

>>2047925
He's ungodly hard in the NES game, but in the arcade game he's not that bad.
I'd say it's
Arcade G&G>Super G&G> Ghouls & Ghosts> NES G&G
on a scale from least to most bullshit

>> No.2050614

>>2048014
The thing is, and I'm certainly not bashing newfags or young people because that's dumb, the thing is, GnG is infamous on the internet. All it takes is to google "hard NES games" or "classic NES games" or just "NES games" and it'll be there. Rather than indicating "You didn't play good games" it's "you haven't done any looking into retro games".

It was also on Game Center CX