[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 37 KB, 480x360, gba vs snes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1984512 No.1984512[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hello, lads,

I have played GBC and SNES a significant part of my childhood. I've never had a GBA, only seen a friend's.

Years have gone away and I found this store which sells retro consoles. They have a SNES bundle pack with the console, cables, etc and 40 euro worth games for a hundred euro. But they also have a GBA for 35 euro with a lot of games. I am not sure of which I should buy. I don't have a tv, btw.

So, what should I go for?

>> No.1984517

>>1984512

emulation

>> No.1984520

>>1984517
Yea, emulation is alright. But I want to play the real one, you know? I got the feeling that I could bring back so many childhood memories. Not sure if emulation would feel the same.

>> No.1984549

Well, what games are in each bundle? You can't really go wrong with either system on a base level, but what games you get with each of them is a deciding factor.

>> No.1984561

>if you plan on speedrunning
the SNES (original console is often recommended for competition)
>if you just want to get "the original experience"
the GBA, as portable games just don't feel right on a computer

>> No.1984564

>>1984520
>Not sure if emulation would feel the same.
What does it cost you to try?

>> No.1984656

>>1984549
There are a lot. Really, I have never seen a huge collection like that before. There are never used games (like Pokémon Stadion 2) which are very expensive (around 100 euros) but there are the cheaper ones (3 games for 10 euros). I have seen my favourite ones, so I guess it wont' be a problem at all.

>>1984561
I plan to play long hours and enjoy the game. I remember some titles, but I am not sure if they are good on the GBA, like NFS Underground, James Bond, Tony Hawks, etc. What is like to play first person games on the GBA? Or this is not possible?

>>1984564
Nothing at all. I am donwloading loads of rooms already, but my connection kind of sucks and it will be a day or two until it all finishes (it is around 3GB). But the thing is that I really wanna play the console. If the GBA wins, I wanna play it while going to work, on the metro, etc. If the SNES, I wanna sit on my couch and enjoy a good afternoon of games, just like old times.

>> No.1984661

>>1984512
I'd say it's really up to you. Emulation is an option (and has the perk of being able to play fan translations of unlocalized games with both systems), but if you're considering the SNES, you might want to take a look at the cost of the games for it these days (not sure how they've been fairing in Europe but out here in the US SNES games have gone up a lot in recent years), while the GBA's library tends to be fairly cheap apart from a few games, with even most of the really good ones going for less than $20 or so (some exceptions like Boktai 2, Aria of Sorrow, Pokemon, Swordcraft Story 1 and 2, and Ninja Five-0 tend to be a bit more expensive; the latter of those actually being ridiculously priced these days). Personally, I'd say to consider the GBA more heavily since it's something you haven't had before (an SP or something preferably; backlighting proved to be a really nice thing to finally have in a handheld, as even with Nintendo experimenting with backlighting since the Gameboy, the SP was the first model with it the west saw), but that's just my take on it. The original and SP models also have full backwards compatibility with Gameboy and GBC games as well if you still have games for those systems (with the SP allowing for backlit play of games from both older systems and no need for a wormlight).

>> No.1984672

>>1984661
Regarding the GBA and SP, do you think that it is worth buying the SP only because of ilumination? The GBA had a kick-ass design.

>> No.1984680

>>1984672
The original GBA did have a nice, comfy design, but having to deal with a non backlit screen can be annoying, and with certain otherwise fine games it can become a real pain to actually play them with the original model (as an example, Castlevania Circle of the Moon has a lot of darker colors in its palette, and while it does fit Castlevania's style to do so it can make it extremely hard to see what you're doing in a fair amount of rooms, and as such backlighting helps make it a lot less painful on the eyes), so I'm personally more in favor of the SP (also the fact that it uses a charger instead of needing actual batteries replaced all the time, which I suppose can be a bit of a double-edged sword if you don't have good access to a wall socket to charge). That said, I've heard of certain places that have taken to putting the SP screen on the original GBA model, letting you have the more hand-friendly size of the original GBA with the visibility of the SP.

If you do want to look into an SP, do note that there are a couple of different types, one being sidelit and the other being truly backlit. I personally had a sidelit one, and I didn't have a lot of issues with it (even sidelighting helps with visibility and not having to fight glare to see), but I see a lot of people saying they prefer the actual backlit one.

>> No.1984690

>>1984672
>>1984680

I personally love the SP's backlighting. Games are very much playable without it, but it's a good way to see more of the details.

As a quick note: if you have a bit of cash left over, there are third-party peripherals that can light up the original GBA's screen. I have one called the "Worm Light" that hangs over the top of the screen and just sorta gets in the way, but I hear there are others.

>> No.1984695
File: 286 KB, 1280x834, tumblr_mwqfz6K00U1rc7qlzo1_1280[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1984512
Boy are you in for a treat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWjifZaJm60