[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 66 KB, 600x800, ujellyvr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1984102 No.1984102 [Reply] [Original]

My find. It's real, and it's fantastic.

How'd my /vr/ bros do?

>> No.1984145

Nothing so lucky. Went to a local retro game store today for the first time. Dude in there was a bro. I really don't know how those type of places stay in business with all that overhead of a storefront, unless they do massive ebay sales.

>> No.1984167

>>1984145
Some places manage to do pretty well. One near me has generally reasonable prices for stuff (generally a fair amount below online averages in most cases as well as below that of other local stores, ranging from a few dollars to $20-30 cheaper, depending on price of a game), and not only that, but they actually see a lot of business in there. The fact that they're not only expanding that store into the next place over (old store there moved out or went under, and they could use some more space), but also have been opening a few more locations (still a small chain, but the fact they're even a chain of stores should say something) backs that up if you ask me.

But yeah, I'm left wondering how some of the other places around here stay in business, since they tend to charge a lot more for stuff and I honestly don't see too much come in or out, though I do suppose the fact that one has an arcade (none of the actual old style machines, just a bunch of consoles set up for parties/tournament play) helps keep that one afloat.

>>1984102
Nice, hope you enjoy it if you haven't played it yet for some reason. Haven't found anything decent that's /vr/ related in a while.

>> No.1984186

>>1984167
They must consistently get amazing deals at flea markets and other sources to stay in business (I'm in California, super high property rental prices). Pretty cool store though, wouldn't mind working there for minimum wage or whatever, as long as I could slack off and play games.

>> No.1984208

>>1984186
I don't know. They just tend to get decent trade-ins, stuff coming and going all the time (not /vr/, but some games, like Super Smash Bros Melee get bought in mere minutes after being traded in), and are located in a town with only a few Gamestops (the one I live in is full of those stupid places and they've driven pretty much anywhere else that stocks older games out of business). Even one of the other stores giving them fake low scoring yelp reviews (they're pretty sure it was one of the other stores here as that only started after that place set up shop, while this store has been in business for a long time compared to most here) didn't do a lot to put a dent in their business.

And yeah, I'd like to work at a place like that myself. Unfortunately, they seem to want at least 2-3 years experience of selling games at Gamestop before the owner will take your application seriously, and much as I'd like working there I don't think suffering through working at Gamestop is worth it after stuff I've heard about it.

>> No.1984221

>>1984208
B-but gamestop employees generally don't know shit about older games...

Yeah, working at those places seems better as a hobby, definitely can't count on it for income unless you own the place and do all the work yourself.

>> No.1984227

Wow, nice. My last good find was Final fight guy for 15 bucks.

>> No.1984240

>>1984221
It's not so much about knowing older games, but more about knowing how to buy, sell, inspect, clean, etc games and systems in general (and I guess places like Gamestop are considered come-and-go enough to be more of an entry level position compared to these smaller retro game stores). Plus they seem to use the hatred of working there as something of a bonding experience I suppose, since pretty much everyone I've seen work at that store hated working at Gamestop prior to it, and seem to enjoy working at this place a lot more. Can't say I blame them at all, as even on the customer end Gamestop's pretty shitty, whereas this place has been pretty damn cool.

>> No.1984252

>>1984102
Nice OP. I just started playing it for the first time yesterday. Wish I owned it.

>> No.1984254

>>1984227
Falls under the parameters of someone caught slipping. Good work, sir!

Also, LGS had Batman and Robin SNES for $60...and the less valuable but still considerable Genesis version loose for $3.

>> No.1984258

>>1984252
Yeah, have not played it until today. I'm not really an RPG guy but I'm told this game is good for even newbs like myself.

>> No.1984260
File: 313 KB, 1280x556, 20141005_011004.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1984102
Went to a charity thrift store this week. Found some pretty good stuff.

I found two Xbox S controllers missing their breakaway cables-- one was black, and the other was blue. I washed all the plastic parts and replaced the crappy worn-down sticks on the blue one with some extras I had left over from my modded wireless 360 controller. Found some replacement breakaway cables on Ebay for $1 each. I paid about $3 for each of them, so with the replacement parts + shipping I will have spent about $4.50 on each controller. Not too shabby. I don't own an Xbox, so I will either hold onto these for a while and flip them, or I will use them when I eventually start collecting Xbox stuff. I suppose I'll at least need to find an Xbox to test them on if I decide to sell them.

I also found a PS3 Rock Band guitar for $3 that came with the receiver-- usually those are missing. Only thing wrong with it as far as I can tell is that it's dirty and the whammy bar spring doesn't seem to be in place. Like the Xbox controllers, I will give all the plastic a washing and try to fix that whammy bar. I'll likely use it for a while and then flip if once I find a Rock Band 2 guitar at a decent price, since those ones are better.

I also found a copy of Grand Turismo for PSX that's in good shape. I'll likely keep it for my collection since I don't have a lot of PSX games yet.

Lastly I bought a new Dualshock 2 from the used game shop. Nothing special, but it's translucent and in good shape.

>> No.1984269

>>1984252
Well, I suppose the DS port being pretty cheap in comparison to what the SNES original goes for means you at least have an option if you want to own it in some form without having to spend $60-80 (and without having to deal with awful loading times, in the case of the PS1 port).

>>1984258
Indeed it is. The game's pretty easy to get into and is a classic. Even if you're not big on JRPGs, it's got a lot of charm to it that you'll probably enjoy and might help you get more into JRPGs as well.

>> No.1984286

>>1984145

I've always wondered this, as well. Like any business, I think their location is a crucial aspect of their success. I live in a more rural area in Georgia and at least three shops have gone under in the last few years. All that's left is a retail chain called 2nd & Charles, which is primarily a used book seller and unfortunately (the one here, at least) has an awful selection of NES/SNES/Genesis games.

>> No.1984291

>>1984240
Gamestop is always an odd experience for me. Employees don't even acknowledge my presence whatsoever, and should I buy anything, I get few words at the register. They always have a personal conversation going on, and it's usually something retarded they're discussing. Any other place I get a hello, I get someone wanting to help, I sometimes get small talked... Gamestop is just fucking strange.

>> No.1984297

>>1984260
>I don't own an Xbox, so I will either hold onto these for a while and flip them, or I will use them when I eventually start collecting Xbox stuff. I suppose I'll at least need to find an Xbox to test them on if I decide to sell them.
Chop the Xbox plugs off the breakaway cables and put USB connectors on them. (They're just USB devices with a different shape.) At least under Linux, they work by default with no drivers/configuration.

>> No.1984417

>>1984291
Where I am they constantly ask if you need help finding anything, whether you're still doing alright, and if you do actually buy anything you have to deal with the usual hassle of them trying to get you to preorder more shit, or sign up for their card. If you ask me, beyond a greeting, I'd prefer if they would wait until I asked them for help, rather than constantly asking me (I don't go there often, but usually it's annoying). Occasionally you do get a cool employee who might be able to have a discussion about something other than a mainstream game/series, but not usually. I have more of an issue with their policies than the actual employees, and I've heard even the employees tend not to be too fond of what management wants them to do. Honestly, working there would just feel like becoming part of something I dislike.

That other store I was mentioning's great. The employees are friendly without coming off as overly eager for your business (something I find Gamestop to be with them constantly asking you if you need anything) and usually at least one person there is interested in a genre you like and can give knowledgable recommendations or be good for small talk and such. Hell, even if you don't see any game you want to buy on a given day it's a fun place to check out.

>> No.1984802

I found a Playstation in box, brand fucking new at a Good Will yesterday for $20. The box was not sealed, but everything inside had never been taken out before - all in original plastic with cardboard inserts, twisty ties, etc. Even the plastic sleeve with the manuals. Fuck awesome.

>> No.1984821

>>1984802
woah that's awesome.

was it the standard release?

>> No.1984828
File: 70 KB, 800x600, Playstation.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1984821

Here's a picture of what the box looks like - note this is not the one I found, but rather the first one I could find on Google. I'll post pictures if someone wants.

I'm assuming it was the last release before they stopped making them, because the copyright date is 2000.

>> No.1984832

>>1984828
very cool.

>> No.1984856

Last weekend I got Base Wars for $3. THIS IS THE PART WHERE WE FIGHT.
http://www.thecinemasnob.com/game-boys-the-animated-series/game-boys-the-animated-series-base-wars

>> No.1984859

Craigslist is good to check out sometimes.
You get all kinds of people looking to get rid of the games they had as kids.

Found a perfect condition PS1 with all the Crash and Spyro games given away for free.

>> No.1984870

>>1984828
I thought PS1s were discontinued in 2006?
Very cool.

>> No.1984878

>>1984859
I wish craigslist around me had deals. I live in center city philly and all I ever see on CL is "WE BUY OLD GAMES COME GIVE THEM TO US!!!"

>> No.1984892

>>1984870

Ah, you're probably right. I just guessed based on the year on the box. I guess I could look it up...

>> No.1984894
File: 112 KB, 699x614, EB.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1984878
Same here. Everything by me is either shit or blatant resellers.

>> No.1984904
File: 46 KB, 393x455, 1402451531643.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1984878
Phillybro here. I feel your pain friend. Cant find a shop that sells retro vidya for decent prices either.

>> No.1984914
File: 175 KB, 1701x962, hej983`88381.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just recently hit below freezing where I live, garage sales are officially dead until spring.

All I can do now is hop around thrift stores, but luckily I found these yesterday.

I'm going to play the shit out of Tomorrow Never Dies.

>> No.1985018

Here's what I've picked up lately. Also got a Sega CD model 2, which is not pictured.

The only real steal here was Shining Force CD which came in a lot with 26 other games, a genesis and the aforementioned Sega CD all for 100 bucks, but overall I'm happy to have all of these games.

>> No.1985021
File: 1.19 MB, 1520x2688, IMAG0133.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1985018
The picture might help.

>> No.1985215
File: 574 KB, 1915x1056, gbgbgbgbgb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bought all these for 10€(in total), all works and batteries are fine so its not too bad.

>> No.1985234

>>1985215
What's that game in the lower right corner?

>> No.1985241

>>1985234
Hammerin' Harry

>> No.1985341

>>1985021
Damn son. Never find lots like this! Congrats

>> No.1986290

Checked a Half Price Books today for stuff. Only decent /vr/ stuff I saw was Legend of Mana (complete copy, good shape too) for only $20 (normally $30-45 where I live). Would have bought it if I didn't already own it. Hopefully it finds a good home rather than just being resold on ebay or something.

>>1985018
>>1985021
I'd say you did pretty damn good.

>> No.1986309

>>1985021
That's goo. That's a goo find.

>> No.1986329

>>1984892
>1984892

Dual Shocks we're the SKU that was out between late 97 going into 2000/01 then the rest AFAIK are all PSone's

>> No.1986332

>>1984878
>>1984894
>>1984904
Hey Philly Bros,

You will not find a retro shop in the city, but if you have a car there are a few retro options w/in 30 mins of the city. Check out Game Fixx in the Northeast section of the city its your best bet in "Philadelphia", even though their prices arent great they'll do in a pinch.

Bought Die Hard Arcade there for Sega Saturn for $25. Which is only about $5 more than eBay average because I was impatient and wanted to play this weekend.

Be careful of trading in there. I was looking to trade in my DS Lite and ACTUALLY got more store credit at Gamestop of all places

>> No.1986341

>>1986332
Game Junkie in Glenside is generally the best place in the Philly area these days, but the prices are definitely eBay-tier these days, like every mom and pop store.

I miss when Play N Trades were rampant in Bucks, Montgomery, Willow Grove, and Plymouth Meeting. Shit was actually affordable then, but I suppose that's the market.

I gave up going out looking for things a good while ago. Every store bases their prices off eBay these days and it's pretty much pointless to even bother going out now. It saved me a lot of gas, I can say that much.

>> No.1986348

>>1986341
I miss the Play'n'trade we had near where I live too, albeit in Arizona. Shame they got fucked over pretty hard. Now the building they were in is a dry cleaners and Gamestop happily moved in across the street since the competition died off. Actually have to go into the surrounding towns to find anywhere that specifically stocks for older systems than seventh gen these days.

>> No.1986383

>>1986341
Game Fixx Philly bro here.

I have been meaning to get to Game Junkie, but haven't had a great reason to do so. I'm done buying for Saturn now and dont really need anything at the moment.

There are a couple of Play N Trade not terribly far in South Jersey. Also now is the time to be buying for systems that are about to hit retro status. DC/GC/PS2&XBOX

I just got Ikaruga GC for 20 at a Jersey PnT. Which is pretty good compared to ebay. Before you know it AAA/first party titles for those systems are going to be $40+ easy in the next few years.

>> No.1986408

>>1984102

spectacular*

>> No.1986436

>>1986383
It's already too late for a lot of stuff on the Gamecube, which has gone up a good deal rather fast after Gamestop stopped stocking for it, to the point even rather common titles are pushing $30 each where I live, with harder to find ones being even more. But yeah, I'd say that picking up DC and PS2 games now while the bulk are still cheap is a good idea. There's a handful of PS2 games that are already pretty expensive (though thankfully overall the library isn't suffering nearly the same increase as the Gamecube's did). As for the Xbox, I don't know. I honestly haven't seen a lot happening as far as prices getting higher apart from a few games like the Conker's Bad Fur Day port (or remake or whatever it was); most are still really damn cheap, with a few like Panzer Dragoon Orta that are about $15-20.

>> No.1986439
File: 25 KB, 960x720, ER3yf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1986332
>>1986341
>Game Fixx
>Game Junkie

is philadelphia full of heroin addicts or something

>> No.1986453

>>1986439
I don't know, maybe they just took the "video games are an addiction," comparison to drugs thing to heart when naming them.

>> No.1986486

I got a complete version of vagrant story(box, 2 discs, manual) for $30 used. Is that bad?

>> No.1986498

>>1986486
A bit more than it goes for where I live (I generally see it for $25), but no, I'd say you did pretty good if it's in good condition as well. Not like you paid $45 for it, like some stores out here want for common stuff like Symphony of the Night (which I've seen for about $25 average elsewhere, with one place only wanting $13 for a complete copy).

>> No.1986529

>>1986498

I'd say it's in good condition, there's a tiny crack on the back, but the most noticeable problem is the small streaks on the case, and I'm not really sure if there's a way to remove them. I was wondering because I got them at V Stock, which usually overprices their more popular games. I was just wondering if this was an anomaly.

>> No.1986539

>>1986529
Well, again, I'd say close to $25 is probably average, and $5 over that isn't too much to be upset by. As for stores overpricing shit, there's a lot around here that do, though with one I know of, even with them often times charging a lot more than they should, you can still find the occasional reasonable, if not actually really fucking great priced game (saved a good bit of money on games I'd been meaning but had either put off for the time being or had pretty much written off ever owning, and it's really a matter of what they get in and what they price it for; some stuff like Metroid Prime 2 goes for nearly three times what it goes for at the most reasonable store out here, while for other stuff like Xenogears they only wanted $5 for a complete copy). Even that place was only wanting $28 for Vagrant Story last I saw it there

>> No.1987093

>very little retro in my area a few years ago
>sometimes garage sales and sometimes salvation army
>some dude opens up a store called "retro video direct"
>sells turtle beach shit, nextboxstaytion3 shit and retrons
>some retro carts behind desk
>mario/duck hunt is $35
>kickmaster is $50
>dude just sells his doubles for insane prices and keeps games he buys from people for cheap and ebays them
>fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.jpeg

>> No.1987137
File: 93 KB, 500x500, mana.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I found Secret of Mana complete at my local thrift shop for 5 bucks. How much do you guys think I could get for it if I put it up on ebay?

>> No.1987139

Went to a local game store over the weekend and the only thing that caught my eye was Super Mario RPG. It was $100 out of box and $150 with. I passed.

>> No.1987148

>>1987139
In my experience, specialized game stores are not good for finding treasures, as they know the value of most their shit and tend to over price things.

>> No.1987168
File: 1.35 MB, 1066x800, 20140920_215127[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1986332
sucks to be you guys, im more north, little above allentown. CL ain't too bad sometimes, friend of mine got this bundle off a guy for $70.

fucking kicker? the TG-16 and games were free. guy had it in his trunk, he just expressed interest in it and it was his.

myself, i stick to flea markets mostly. lets face it, that is the last bastion of good deals. I haven't seen anything at good will or sally armies in a good while, last good thing I got was Wario World.

And now that GS got rid of their PS2 and Gamecube games or at least what is left no one wants, it's all up to thrift stores and flea markets to find what you want. Though, my friend did find me a Conker for $3 at his market, sold it to me for $30 which I didn't mind paying one bit.

>> No.1987180

>>1986436
Xbox is an odd system, there are only a few games I can think of that are expensive and those ones are usually multiplat games oddly enough.

star wars battlefront 2 is worth a good bit of dosh, about 35-45 or something, which is stupid considering the PS2 version is like a 5-10 dollar game. same with Castlevania, its worth more on xbox than PS2.

other games are stuff like Operation Genesis, expensive on both systems (though i'd just grab it on PC for free really), but most Xbox stuff isn't as in demand and I keep seeing this crap on CL that people want like $100 for a system and 10-20 shit games. wish it would auto reject posts with whack ass prices.

also, these wanted ad faggots need to go. they have ruined almost any chance of finding games anymore due to offering people "big money" for their games when they mostly are going to get to cherry pick all the good stuff for cheap just to resell at stupid high prices.

fucking market needs a crash, badly.

>> No.1987185

>>1987139
hahahahahahahahah!
holy shit!
are you fucking joking?

and I thought the reseller at my friends market was an asshole buying SMRPG for $2 at the same market and reselling it for $45 that same day.

>> No.1987249

>>1985021
>Elemental Gearbolt
mahnigga.jpg, enjoy it man
Hope you got a good gun for it, though

>> No.1987262

>>1987137
Don't, just play and enjoy it, isn't that why you bought it?

If you do flip it on eBay, don't be reseller scum and do Buy-it-Now only; do what everyone else on here does and just put up a .99 starting bid auction and let the buyers "decide" the ending price

>> No.1987298

>>1987168
Jesus shit, man! That was a steal. Guy obviously had no clue what he had.

>> No.1987436

>>1984102
It's just Chrono Trigger. We've played it a million times and we've all had had a copy since 1995, what's fantastic about it?

>> No.1987438

>>1987436

That he got it for 2$?

Pretty sure you could still get some shmuck to pay 100+ for it.

>> No.1987753

>>1987168
>>1987168
>>1987168
>US megaman
>Journey to Silius
>Last Crusade Taito version
>Werewulf
>Smash TV
>Jackal
>Turbografx thrown into the mix for free

Sweetxellent my man!

what are the other NES games that we cant see?

>> No.1987812

>>1984878
Fuck man. Roxborough philly here, CL is def shitcity.

>> No.1987817

>>1986439
Incredibly so. Im a social worker in philly haha. Cheap as hell.

>> No.1987828
File: 434 KB, 1600x1200, IMG_1338.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

$10 from a lady selling her son's games.

>> No.1987858

>>1987828

i dont belief you

>> No.1987882

>>1987828
I don't believe you either, but If it's true then you're a very lucky anon.

If I were that woman's son, I'd be pissed.

>> No.1987981

>>1987828
>old reposta pasta picture
>recent pickup

>> No.1988045
File: 695 KB, 2017x1477, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1987168

At a flea market 3 weeks ago, I got all this for $35.

>> No.1988051

>>1988045
You overpaid.

>> No.1988056
File: 1.83 MB, 320x240, yeahnah.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1987828
>repro cart of Terranigma
>lady selling her son's games

>> No.1988059

>>1988051

It was honestly the best deal I could get in the past 4 years.

>> No.1988062

>>1988051
Are you high? US SNES alone goes for more than that, with All Stars and 2 controllers its a pretty good deal.

>> No.1988064

>>1987882
>>1987981

When did you guys get your senses of humour removed? Was it an outpatient procedure covered by your HMO?

>> No.1988068

>>1988064
Everyone on /vr/ does this shit.

>Lets take the most expensive games in my collection and take a picture
>Oh look! A recent pickups thread.
>I'll just post it all in this thread and claim I got it from some old couple for pennies.

It happens fucking -daily- and it gets old fast.

>> No.1988073
File: 16 KB, 187x270, this.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1984102
Just this game

>> No.1988074

>>1988062
Bullshit. A SNES is only worth $15, and the game like $5. You are literally retarded if you pay more than that.

>> No.1988080

>>1987137
Like 3.50

>> No.1988087

>>1988064
I want to believe deals like that exist, is all.

>> No.1988093

>>1988074
Good luck finding snes for that price

>> No.1988108

>>1988093
It's what i paided for my snes and i am in Australia you need to git good son

>> No.1988109

>>1988093
I've bought plenty for that price. Not all sales happen online you know.

>> No.1988135
File: 473 KB, 1600x1200, IMG_1337.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1987858
>>1987882
>>1987981
>>1988056
I guess I shouldn't post the full lot then huh.

>> No.1988143

>>1988135
Oh yeah I remember you. You posted that same image a couple weeks ago saying you got it from a retro store that was going out of business.

Shame you can't keep your fake story straight.

>> No.1988192

>>1988045

Excellent deal. I've seen specialized game shops try to sell All-Stars alone for $30, and US SNES is hard to get cheap these days.

>> No.1988218

>>1988143
>still doesn't get it

I'll keep posting it until someone does.

>> No.1988240

>>1987828
>Some random lady who happens to be selling all of her son's games
>all of her son's games just so happen so be rare, and most of them are expensive RPGs

I am calling ruse.

>> No.1988258

>>1988218
ill keep reporting you until you're b&

>> No.1988404

>>1988143
I should snap a picture of my SNES collection and make up some bullshit story and see what reaction I get.

>> No.1988408

People at flea markets just do NOT know how valuable some vidya are.

Picked up Earthbound with a working battery for 3 dollars once. Rise of the Robots and Lawnmower Man too, but those are purchases I regret.

>> No.1988413

>>1987137
How about actually playing it first to decide if you like it enough to keep it? In general it's a pretty nice SNES RPG, especially if you're looking for one with co-op, which even today JRPGs seldom have (aside from a few stand alone releases, the main ones that did so have been the Mana series and Tales series, and I think the Mana series stopped offering that sometime after LoM on the PS1).

>>1987262
>isn't that why you bought it?
Some people just buy games for the profit they can make off them. My own dad's one of those types, bragging about finding stuff like .hack for $1 and how much he can hock it for (only reason he cares about games), as well as telling me to just sell my collection and move onto phone games like everyone else. Annoys the shit out of me.

>>1987148
Not always. I've found some good stuff at more than reasonable prices at one local store that specializes in older games (while they do have to make a profit to keep in business and such, they also understand that keeping customers happy is very important to getting and keeping regulars), and often times they can get some odd or hard to find stuff, which admittedly may or may not be at a reasonable price (and even with the more expensive ones they charge a good deal less than competitors).

That said, I do agree that multimedia stores, goodwills, etc, don't always know what they have. Found a lot of good prices on harder to find (or at least more expensive games at a local music and movie store, and it's kept me coming back. Unfortunately with them now having a bigger store, I don't know how much longer that trend will hold (I have had a bit of theory that in the past they've priced certain games really low, like $10 for Path of Radiance and $18 for Wild Arms ACF since they didn't have a lot shelf space and wanted to keep stock flowing out of there, but I don't know, as some of their more common games have been pretty damn high for what they are; not exactly /vr/ but a good example).

>> No.1988430

>>1988408
I'd say it depends on where and when. A lot more people are becoming savvy to using the internet to price stuff (a lot of stores here do that, though the smarter one where I live tend to cut a bit off from it, which can range from a couple dollars to maybe $10-20 depending on the game, while others tend to charge just as much as ebay or Amazon charge, as well as how much shipping would average in order to match the price), and there's a lot of people at those places that I've heard act like any older game they have is gold, charging asinine prices for even common as hell games like the Mario/Duck Hunt combo (on the other hand, that good local store mentioned above has so many they charge maybe $5 at most for it, and even throw them in for free with the purchase of an NES from them.

Out of curiosity, when did you find Earthbound at that price? Just wondering if it was before or after the price got ridiculous. Either way $3 is great.

I'd like to try my hand at finding cheap games at flea markets and swap meets sometime, but it's pretty damn hot for much of the year where I am, and most I've hard of aren't exactly indoors.

>> No.1988458

>>1985021
>>1986332
God... Philadelphia sucks so hard for game culture... Just moved to Eugene OR from Philly and am in heaven

>> No.1988460

>>1988458
Philly pretty much sucks in general. We're like the laughing stock of America's "big" cities.

>> No.1988469

>>1988458
>Just moved to Eugene OR from Philly and am in heaven
My dad's been talking about moving to Oregon and wants me to visit sometime. How's the general variety/prices for games out there (I recall hearing places like Washington were hipster-central and as such had ridiculous prices for games; not sure if something changed up there in the northwest or if Oregon wasn't too affected)? Where I currently am there's only one really decent store for older video games, with the rest either having poor selection (with little coming in) or asinine prices (like $45 for a game I can find at that one good store for $25 or so), so I figure that when I do visit I might as well make the most of it.

Also, any particular places you might recommend checking out for games (not just in Eugene, but out there as a whole)? Might make for a fun vidya road trip somewhere down the line, and knowing decent places could help out.

>> No.1988513
File: 140 KB, 703x1080, Evil_Night_-_1998_-_Konami.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1984102

picked this up the other day three dollars and fifty cents!!!!! Can you believe it?!?!?! What a mad man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>> No.1989551
File: 2.76 MB, 3264x2448, 20140919_180800[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

PZAAAAAYUM! can't wait to rev this baby up when my genesis cables come in the mail

20 bucks shipped, sometimes i even amaze myself

>> No.1990269
File: 121 KB, 900x1200, IMG_2958.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

found for €5,-

>> No.1990302 [DELETED] 

I'm going to a wedding a couple weeks that's about 250 miles away. I live in a pretty affluent area and this wedding is being held in a time significantly more... rustic. I'm hoping to spend some time to go retro hunting. Anyone got tips for finding the kind of stores I might sell retro vidya in unknown towns?

>> No.1990306

I'm going to a wedding a in couple weeks that's about 250 miles away. I live in a pretty affluent area and this wedding is being held in a town that's significantly more rustic. I'm hoping to spend some time to go retro hunting. Anyone got tips for finding the kind of stores I might sell retro vidya in unknown towns?

>> No.1990324
File: 70 KB, 269x312, dog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1989551

>that holofoil cover

>> No.1990330

>>1990324
That's 90s Marvel alright

>> No.1990337

Absolutely nothing, boot fairs are dying for the year.

>> No.1990747

>>1987436
Um...what should I have done good grumpy anon? Not picked it up because EMULATORS? Build a time machine and go back in time to get a boxed copy when it was all over clearance bins with Earthbound for $20? Buy a Super Nintendo with my milk money considering I was a Sega kid and SNES probably ran $100 at the time?

How about I enjoy a solid score and a good game?

Also just because I know /vr/ is thinking it: No, I do not believe CT is this mythical incredibly rare unicorn. I know it had a print run in the hundreds of thousands. I know it's price largely reflects the demand more so than the rarity.

But to that I say: Glad I got my copy cheap and its not every day you see a decent CT cart for less than $70 let alone $2.52 so that's AWESOME! That is what is fantastic about it.

>> No.1990759

>>1987438
I saw it at my LGS for $69.99. It was a better looking copy than OP's but it went next day I dropped in.

Last look on eBay had it running usually $80-100.

>> No.1990761

>>1987828
If it was just RPGs or just action games, maybe. But having like all the most desirable and expensive SNES games in one kids collection? Yeah right.

>> No.1990992

>>1986383
Also now is the time to be buying for systems that are about to hit retro status. DC/GC/PS2&XBOX

This. People will basically give you PS2/Xbox shit nowadays. I even get some GC/DC shit for dirt cheap since it still hasn't quite hit that retro stage yet.

>> No.1993101

>all the philly bros ITT

I was going to say something similar to you guys, the only vidya store around me is gamestop

>> No.1994712

How much should I pay for a gba sp?

>> No.1994860

>>1994712
As a head's up, the GBA is not /vr/ yet. That said, I'd say it depends on the condition of it. I see some stores where I live charging as much as $50 for them, while more reasonable ones charge about $35-40 (which I'd say is pretty good if you're not trying to find one at a yard sale or something); also an issue where limited edition ones with various designs will cost more than a regular solid color one. Also need to be aware of which models they have, as one was a sidelit one while another had an actual backlight. Either way it makes for a nice way to play not just GBA games, but also Gameboy and Gameboy Color games without needing to fight glare, or fuck around with a wormlight to play at night. Got to love backwards compatibility.

>> No.1995896

>>1989551
>>1990269
good cops

>> No.1995919

>>1984102
That shit goes for £60 on eBay

>> No.1995996
File: 17 KB, 350x368, 12 (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1994860
>mfw I got an ags-101 at a flea market for $5

>> No.1996024

>>1990992
well, you don't have certain people at your market or stores that are grabbing everything PS2 and GC that is worth over $20. It might be dirt cheap, but ever since PS2 and GC left gamestop, it's hard pickings for me at least.

most of the GC stuff I have, but if I do find anything it's usually kids games or sports.

>> No.1996115

>>1996024
The PS2 is still generally pretty cheap to get stuff for, barring certain RPGs and harder to find games (and in general there's only a handful at really high prices so far). Unfortunately the Gamecube library got hit hard with price increases once Gamestop stopped carrying stuff for it, with most games from Nintendo held series and even some third party ones going for quite a bit these days. Also doesn't help that it's a bit hard to find Gamecube games at stores these days, at least where I live; the bulk of sixth gen games they have are PS2 and Xbox.

>>1995996
Nice. Was it actually in good condition though? At that price I'm more inclined to think it was some scratched, beaten up system.

>> No.1996141

>>1996115
and all of that bulk is going to be sports games and shit. i haven't found too many good finds outside of GS having their 75% off sale in Jan.

Gamecube is nintendo and their 1st party games are ALWAYS $25+ for some dumb reason. the GC library is smaller than PS2 though and I have almost all the games I want (missing TS future perfect and a few others).

I think it's usually barring RPG's and a few titles that are harder to get (like Rule of Rose) that most PS2 games are cheap. Most of them are really good and have always been cheap, like R&C, J&D and Sly.

>> No.1996163

>>1996141
>Rule of Rose
>Hard to get
You pony up 100 bucks and you get a copy, it is literally that simple.

It had a very low production run... what, 15,000 copies? I have one. But its because I pony'd up the 100 the auction went for (But I also got haunting ground for 55, fatal frame 1-3 for like 45, Siren, for another 12 or something, and I think Silent Hill 4 and clocktower for another ~20 ish) that was a dope series of auctions and while I did have to open my wallet I also got some of the best horror titles on ps2.

>> No.1996174

>>1996163
i can't do auctions anymore, far too many times I got outbid with 1 second left.
Oddly enough, the best auction I ever got was non /vr/. In 2010, I got a 360 and 12 or so games including a then less than a month old Alan Wake for $90 w/free shipping.

>> No.1996183

>>1996174
Bidding early is for suckers. Start sniping.

>> No.1996187

>>1996141
I've heard people explain the Gamecube library's current prices as being from the idea that "Nintendo is quality" as well as the improved graphics from the N64 to the Gamecube making it a bit easier for people to get into (in a similar fashion to the differences between the NES and SNES, or something like that). Just what I've heard thought about it though. Might also have the fact that the PS2 was a lot more popular as a factor as well, especially in cases where certain multiplatform games go for a lot more on the Gamecube than elsewhere. I'm also missing Future Perfect myself; for some reason that's about $40 on the Gamecube while maybe $15-20 at most on the PS2 where I live.

>>1996174
Pretty sure there's various auction sniping programs and such these days, where you input a maximum amount you're willing to spend and the time the auction ends. Might help explain how you're getting consistently outbid mere seconds before they end.

>> No.1996197

>>1996174
>>1996183
>>1996187
Its not even about sniping/getting sniped.
Sometimes you just run into an auction with near zero interest and thats when you get a good deal.

Sure, it may take you fucking 10 auctions, but the one you end up with is probably the best deal anyways.

I would say its because the GC was even more mainstream then N64 or SNES, combined with the fact that people who grew up with a Gamecube are in their 20's now, again, with disposable income, or potentially even other collectors who are seeing this mass exodus away from NES/SNES/N64 because its simply, too expensive.

Nows the time to pickup on Xbox360/PS3 and Wii games though man. Cheap as fuck if you want to expand your library, theres still a lot of good games.

Fuck man... I should've gone harder during those Gamestop clear out events.

>> No.1996205
File: 67 KB, 960x720, 10728615_10153239438692501_2094962674_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Now i just have to find a decent copy of Warioland 1 and 2.

>> No.1996212

>>1996197
>Fuck man... I should've gone harder during those Gamestop clear out events.
I feel the same way. Only thing I picked up when the local ones were clearing out their Gamecube stuff was Eternal Darkness for $15. Still, not bad at all given I now see it going for $40+, but I feel like I could have made more of an effort to pick stuff up (only time I've ever seen a decent priced copy of Gotcha Force was during one of those sales; shit's like $80-100+ now). Didn't have a lot of spending money for games back then though.

>> No.1996445
File: 59 KB, 500x375, aaafwetw4t65t123465234534534.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone know of a good place to find games around the Jersey Shoreish/Mid-Jersey area?
I'm trying Englishtown Flea market this weekend, but I've heard it can be either hit or miss.

>> No.1996461

>>1996212
It was one of the perks of working for the company around 2008. Looking for the .hack// games? A bunch of stores have a mixed amount of them, get them to ship them to the store. Haunting Ground? Easy. Wild Arms Alter Code: F? Hell, the store down the street had it. Rule of Rose? Shit, I found that at a Play N Trade for $10. Beatmania with the turntable? I had to pretty much beg but a store sent it. Cubivore? I had to call 20 stores before finding one that's complete but I got it. Steel Battalion? I called the only store in the company that had the complete set and immediately get hung up on. Can't win 'em all..

I also got a box with an NES and a TG-16 and a bunch of games for free one day but that's another story entirely

>> No.1996475
File: 279 KB, 557x348, 1391902978972.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1996205

It is funny, i have decent copies of Wario Land 1 & 2, and i have been looking for Wario Land 3 & 4 for years without success

>> No.1996480

>>1996475
>>1996205
Been looking for a copy of WL4 myself, but every copy I run across is badly beaten, or has the label torn (and issue I noticed heavily affecting certain GBA games, namely that, both Kirby games, and the Castlevania ones; most other big name GBA games I see are in good condition generally). Would be great if one of my local stores that only charges about $7-8 for a copy would get one in in good condition.

>> No.1996486

>>1996461
You sound like you've been pretty lucky with being in a position to easily find those. I've been slowly working on picking up some of the harder to find PS2 and Gamecube games, namely waiting for a local multimedia store to get some I'm looking for in, as they've had a habit of charging a lot less than other places out here in the past. Wild Arms ACF for $18, Xenosaga Episode III for $13, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance for about $10 (also Xenogears for $5)... Wish I could say I've had that sort of luck with the SNES there, but I don't think that trend goes earlier than fifth gen with them. Also doesn't help that pretty much anything prior to fifth gen they have there are just sports and movie titles no one really wants.

On that note, since you've apparently worked at Gamestop, what's the general policy on how far they're willing to ship something? Seen a few games listed on their site before that I couldn't find anywhere locally but place a good distance out had, but it always seemed like asking them to ship it i from 90 miles away was asking way too much. I know it's not exactly a /vr/ question, but still.

>> No.1996489
File: 2.09 MB, 200x150, 1389976142796.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1996480

For some reason, good GBA games around my area are truly uncommon, everything i see in stores is just shovelware, i have many games i want to buy, but i never, ever, seen a physical copy of them

Wario land 3 & 4
Megaman Zero 1 & 4
Both Golden Sun
Both Kirby games
All Castlevania Games
Contra Advance
Turok Evolution
Metal Slug
Zelda Minish Cap
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
Metroid Zero Mission
Zoids Legacy

and the list just goes on and on and on...

life is suffering

>> No.1996517

>>1996486
>On that note, since you've apparently worked at Gamestop, what's the general policy on how far they're willing to ship something? Seen a few games listed on their site before that I couldn't find anywhere locally but place a good distance out had, but it always seemed like asking them to ship it i from 90 miles away was asking way too much. I know it's not exactly a /vr/ question, but still.

Company policy pretty much is if a customer wants something and another store has it, it's going to get shipped out unless there's some absurd circumstance behind it (Package is too heavy/bulky, already on hold, etc.)

Basically you just need to go to your local store and ask if they have a game, they'll look it up, ask them if another store has it and if they can get it shipped there, and if the other store is willing when they call them up, it should be there within a few days.

Bear in mind if it's a DS game you're looking for there's a 99.9% chance it won't have its box or manual. Stores that actually keep them these days are incredibly rare since it's technically not something the company wants us to do.

>> No.1996526

>>1996489
I haven't done too badly; even with the bulk being shovelware, most stores still have actual games as well. Only ones I've had a lot of issue finding in the past have been both Swordcraft Story games (found one in a store and had to get the other online), Boktai 2 (never seen in a store, had to get online), and Sigma Star Saga (still never seen in stores out here). And in general the only games that wind up costing a lot (compared to the rest anyhow) tend to be Boktai 2 (seen it going for $40 online more often than not these days), various Pokemon games (ranging from $28-40), Aria of Sorrow ($30-35), and Ninja Five-0 (which can go for $100 or more these days; don't think Konami bothered printing many copies).

Also, out of all of those you listed, you really should not be having any real trouble at all finding the Golden Sun games. Those are common as hell, at last where I live.

I do hope you have better luck in the future, though if it's been that big an issue you might just want to look into emulating (also helps that there's a handful of fan translated GBA games these days the west never got a chance to see in English).

>>1996517
Huh. I remember asking about stuff at my local ones, and whether they'd be willing to ship something in only to be told they generally only did so for stuff within the same town or something (in which case I'd probably just drive to the other store to pick it up). Didn't know if it was just them being lazy and not wanting to try to get it shipped or something.

And yeah, I hate that stupid thing about trashing all the DS cases and manuals. Especially since where I live they just used the space created by doing so to have shelf space and displays for their mobile products. Guessing they wanted to be Applestop as well as Gamestop (ignoring that in some cases like mall locations, there's already an apple store in the general vicinity).

>> No.1998372
File: 45 KB, 1008x567, unnamed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Found 100% CIB (manual, poster and registration card) Sunset Riders for the Genesis and Shadow Dancer. $18 for the both. Not /vr/ but I found a factory sealed DS Lite marked "As-is" at Target for $50.

Doge was not a good deal. He just likes to photo bomb.

>> No.1998383

>>1996489
I'd say just get Mega Man Zero Collection for the DS as far as the MMZ games go.

>> No.1998413

>>1996489
Dont want to brag and gba are vr but i found most of those in perfect conditions not sure if i cant post them without going im sone stupid shit about the rules

>> No.1998417

is $6.50 a good price for a loose Wario Land 3?

>> No.1998420

>>1998417
It's about middle of the road anon. Most I've ever see it go for in a retail store is $9

>> No.1998427

>>1988056
How is that game? I got the pal version free from a family friend. Her son died I think and had a pretty decent snes collection

>> No.2000259

Had a big weekend again - got an SNES and a Dreamcast for $15 each (pretty good for my area), a GBA ($6 at a thrift store), a pair of original playstation controllers, and a Gamecube power adapter. Good times.

>> No.2000305

>>1998417
Maybe for a woose Lario Land 3, sure.

Offer him $5 and considerations.

>> No.2000361

As far as retro goes, I nabbed an N64 Rumble Pak and a copy of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers for Genesis. Non-retro-wise, I got Halo 1 and 2 for Xbox, Silent Hill 2, and GTA Vice City for PS2 (the only GTA game I was missing minus the handhelds).

>> No.2000362

>>1998372

Very nice! The DS Lite makes it sweeter.

>> No.2000387

>>1998372
I know this is off-topic, but that is a beautiful dog.

>> No.2000578

>>2000387
Retro husky!

>> No.2000590

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/vgm/4704722390.html

According to some quick googlefu that's actually a decent deal

>> No.2000602

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/vgm/4710770918.html

Not retro but I'd thought you guys would get a kick out of this

>> No.2000623

>>2000602
>http://raleigh.craigslist.org/vgm/4710770918.html
>weeks supply of mealworms
thats actually not a bad deal, you know

>> No.2001961
File: 170 KB, 1024x768, IMG_1729.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Last week I won this Atari organizer for $15 at an auction. The auctioneer lied and said it could also store NES games, but no it's Atari only, and I don't own an Atari either. BUT, it's 80s as fuck (dat faux wood paneling) and generally cool so I kept it. It's useful for keeping the dust off my spare controllers & accessories.

>> No.2002003
File: 214 KB, 1000x731, Untitled-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2001961
>It's useful for keeping the dust off my spare controllers & accessories

you can lie to yourself anon, but don't lie to us

>> No.2002005

>>2002003
I never bothered to clean them before storing them. They HAD been out in the open all these years.

>> No.2002013

>>2002003
>that gold controller
WANT

>> No.2002093

>>1996212
man, you missed out.
most places were empty during the 2nd week of that sale, at least in my area.
I hit one GS while I was in Orange NJ i think and I got every good and expensive game on the system at one store. only con was that they were all disc only, as that store was instructed to toss out all the cases back in Oct.

same thing with PS2, but now everything is gone. I always wonder though, why do they have this stuff listed on GS anymore for older systems if I can't buy it from the site. they should at LEAST list which stores have it so I can harass them to send it to my store.

>> No.2002184
File: 57 KB, 960x540, 10730873_10204667236659387_9162167882896222686_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

5 bucks at a yard sale. Has power adapter but that's it. It did however start a kind of explosion of my retro collection this weekend. Friend of mind asked me to return a copy of FF7 to him that I got a while back and in return I got a handful of NES carts (Double Dragon 2, mario 1 and 3, Turtles 1, Marble Madness, Castlevania 2 and 3) Some PS1 games (Spider-Man 2, Syphon Filter, Centipede) and then another friend remembered I had given them a Genesis a year or so ago and her kids never play it so she returned it. Score Genesis and Sonic 2.
Anyway this has kind of rekindled my love of Retro Games. I had built up a small but happy collection and a year ago it imploded. Between frustration at not being able to find anything good and the lack of money I ended up selling the collection. Now a year later with a better job and some slightly better outlets for getting games I'm going to try again to get back to that happy collection.
. . . .GameChasers was pissing me of cause they where complaining about scraps I would have given my left nut for. . . .there I said it.

>> No.2002217
File: 70 KB, 300x425, Elemental_Master_1990_Cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

$25 in box baby

I'm just happy to play it, it's pretty killer broh. No instruction manual, but I don't NEEEED no instructions.

>> No.2002427

>>1984286

Pawn shops do well in rural areas when they carry general stuff. Specialty stores that have greater variety of a specialized product are much more of an urban environment thing.

>> No.2002450

>>1984417

I'm not working there yet but I got hired on as seasonal help. Manager told me it's all about just being friendly and making sure they feel comfortable. She wants people to walk in and feel like they're being treated as friends rather than strangers.

I plan on saying, "Welcome to Gamestop, I'm Mike. Need some help?"

If they say yes I help, them and if not I'll say, "Okay, just let me know if you do need something."

Then I'll just let them do what they want, but obviously still watching to make sure they aren't stealing which is a big part of the job actually.

If someone wants to small talk about retro shit I'm all for that. I'm actually somewhat afraid I'll not know enough about newer consoles since I don't own any and I'm not in the know. Anyway, yeah it's all policy bullshit but you can fulfill your duty and still not be overbearing if you keep things short and to the point.

I'm honestly the same way when I go into a store, I just want to browse and be left alone. some people need/want that fake friendliness in a store though.

>> No.2002454

>>2000602
That ad is so geniune and heartwarming I wish I could just give him the console. Look at the way he wrote it, it looks like he really wants to help you and isn't interested in ripping you off.

>> No.2002458

>>1987137
Easily sell for 50. Might have to wait a bit for 75. It'd probably sell eventually for 90-120

>> No.2002614

>Only find shit sport games for snes or megadrive
>Any non sport games, even shit games are overpriced
Thanks god for my softmoded wii and my crt TV!!

>> No.2003109

>>2002093
They do keep track of which stores have them still (or at least still have them listed as being unsold; if they got lost of stolen I don't think the site would know), but they want you to be the one to bother with putting in the effort. That means having a variety of zip codes to input on the "check availability" pages. And also the willingness of your local stores to have stuff shipped to them from out of city/state (store policy is that they should, but where I live they've been pretty against it as it's more work for them).

>>2002450
I certainly don't mind being asked if I need help upon entering, but when they ask repeatedly every few minutes, it gets on my nerves. Maybe it's just me, but if I do wind up needing help I'm more inclined to be the one to initiate discussion on it. And I'm all for small talk on games myself, though it really depends on what the employees themselves are into. At that used game store I really like, there's usually at least one person there that's a fan of a given genre and most have been playing stuff since they themselves were young and can be knowledgeable and provide enjoyable recommendations, while with Gamestop, I'd say they're more prone to having played recent triple A games than a lot of older, or more niche stuff (not that all are like that, some have surprised me before), provided they're not just someone hired to sell stuff without actually having any real interest in games themselves.

Anyhow, I do hope you have a better experience working there than most. From what I've generally heard Gamestop isn't the most pleasant place to work.

>> No.2003114

>>2003109

>From what I've generally heard Gamestop isn't the most pleasant place to work.

It's just seasonal and I'm basically working there so I don't have to work another more physically intensive job during half of the winter. Thanks for the luck though, I can't see myself fucking it up too much. I'll just be stumped when they ask for recommendations for their Vita or their Xbone

>> No.2003129

>>2003114
Well, as far as I know, their system tends to keep track of what people are buying/have bought in the past and makes preorder recommendations for you to tell them from there, if that's what you mean.

>> No.2003136

>>2003129

Neat. Cause I'm seriously the wrong person to ask about newer shit. the newest console I've touched is an Xbox 360.

I figure I'll be alphabetizing shit most of the time anyways.

>> No.2003637

Is there a price guide somewhere online that'll give me a good ballpark on what I should be paying?

>> No.2005027

>>1996445
ayyy jersey bro. Check out kill screen games in asbury park. Bought perfect dark and Zelda oracle of seasons there in the past few weeks. They got some good shit.

>> No.2005124
File: 1.37 MB, 3648x2056, haul.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I found these last weekend.

Best find in years. I had to leave town to hunt elsewhere. My town dried up ages ago.

>> No.2005165

I'm going this thursday to a gaming store. has a bunch of older games, imports and a few arcade machines. I'm looking for Castlevania Bloodlines hope they have it.

>> No.2005206

>>2005124
Ninja Gaiden 2 is the best game of the trilogy, as well as the best game in that haul. Play that first.

>> No.2005249

Replaying this!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE_Xuus3EAI

>> No.2006681
File: 1023 KB, 1600x899, IMG_0349.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Found a non-tmss genesis. Been looking for one for awhile.

>> No.2009524
File: 2.55 MB, 2448x3264, IMG_0132.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Robotech battlecry
splinter cell
Grandia 2
snowboard kids

>> No.2009609

>>2009524
>Robotech
ma nigga

>> No.2009675

>>2009609
I had it as a kid for the gamecube and then sold it. I saw it today and felt nostalgic

>> No.2009747

I live in a pretty afluen area where it's hard o get good deals on retro, but tomorrow I'm driving 250 miles away for a wedding to a nice podunk town that has a glorious looking used game shop in a run-down dump of a location. I can't wait. Wish me luck!

>> No.2010850

>>2002458
Are you speaking of cart only?
Or CIB?

>> No.2013762

hey guys i want to start collection, i have more than a few local flea markets and antique shops that also carry stuff like that and i'm wondering what should i look for? and maybe some general tips?

>> No.2013764

>>2013762
I'd say get a list of what you want and are willing to spend. Keep an eye out for the stuff you want and don't go over your limit. Be patient there's lots of assholes and scammers but there are deals out there. Collections are made over the course of years.
What state you in?

>> No.2013808

>>2013764
i live in kentucky, i had a lot of consoles i regret selling when i was younger. i'm pretty much starting from scratch. i guess i'm looking for maybe games thats worth alot to look out for also

>> No.2013809

>>1987828
>$10
>$
>Terranigma
lol

>> No.2013820

>>2013808
Ah I live in NC. I buy up and down the east cost though. The south is slow but you run into stuff that would be gone in a heart beat in say NY. Like collecting anything when you start you're not going to know a lot and may make a few mistakes. Just don't spend a lot starting out. When figuring out what something is worth look at the sold listings on ebay and the game price check sight.
Basically everyone is looking out for the games like Little Samson and the other bullshit expensive games.

>> No.2013834

>>2013820
yeah i figured it would probably be a good place for some gems because things don't move around as quick. not really looking for new stuff just in really good condition. thanks man

>> No.2013839

>>2013762
>>2013808
Best advice I can give you is get a feel for what a reasonable price for various games are, and try not to spend more than you have to (hell, try to spend less than average if possible; a bit of luck and patience can really pay off). A lot of places these days tend to overprice a lot of older games, so knowing how much something is generally worth (and also how cheap other stores might have it) is useful. Noticing trends certain stores tend towards can also be helpful (as an example, one store where I live tends toward overpricing common games, but harder to find, more niche ones can slip past at really low prices compared to normal).

Also, don't try to pick up everything on a system just because. Go for games you yourself are interested in (at least first, anyhow), and build a library of stuff you enjoy playing. Don't just collect for the sake of collecting.

>> No.2013846

>>2013834
Watch out for the assholes that want like $100something for their snes.
Me personally I'm pretty big into looking for specific revisions of consoles. Like non tmss model 1 genesis. Some things I like about the south collecting but others I don't. Like up north I don't talk to the dealers much. But here in NC I know a few and they aren't scamming assholes about everything. I know of assholes in NY that buy lots of 50+ snes just sell on ebay at artificially high prices and in their store.
Also idk about Kentucky but yard sales in NC are pretty much a waste of fucking gas. Seems about that way all over the south. For retro games anyway.

>> No.2014024
File: 258 KB, 960x720, reaction rage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw a local retro game store at my flea market is selling a fucking NWC repro for $100

Literally all their NES games that aren't bargain bin shit are overpriced as hell and are under the glass case. Luckily their PS1 and DS stuff is reasonably priced for the most part and that's mainly what I'm looking for at the moment.

>> No.2014056

>>2014024
>Local store claims they have 1000's of games
>Get there
>The rumours were true
>Start browsing through the N64 section
>Literally 40 copies of Madden
>what the actual fuck
>Anything worth a damn or recognizable as decent is behind the glass
>they want 40 bucks for a greatest hits Final Fantasy Tactics.
>Brought some doubles I got from buying a new PS3, not even bad games, Dark Souls1/2, GTA5, GTA4, and some other decent shit like Legend of Legaia, Final Fantasy 8 and 9, Oracle of Seasons (dont collect GBC) and stuff like that.
>He quickly glances over the games and tells me he can give me like 3 bucks a pop
>3 fucking dollars
>I laugh because I assume he's joking
>I tell him he has a copy of Legaia in the case for 50 bucks
>He literally tells me that if he bought that copy of Legaia it would sit in the back because having 2 copies of Legaia in the display case would "devalue" them both
>Literally speechless at this point
>The guy turns out to be the owner
Needless to say I never went back there.

>> No.2014071

>>2014056
>>2014024
Most game stores are like that. Sad part is they sell those games for that price...

>> No.2014087
File: 417 KB, 608x405, Thirty dollars, and still above average.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2014056
>>2014024
The only local retro shop I have is about the same. The only things priced decently there is hardware, which is naturally all I buy from there.

>They have a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga behind the counter for $500
>A JAPANESE copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga

>> No.2014113

>>2014087
Im seriously going back to eBay...
Guys want 300 bucks for an NES with MarioBros/DuckHunt Mario Bros 2, Mario Bros 3, and shit like Tetris and Dr Mario. Not even rare games.

Granted they have the box, but to me the box is completely worthless.

>> No.2014119

>>2014087
>>2014056
Christ, what/where are these places so that i can avoid them for eternity?

>> No.2014134

>>1985241
Fix-It Felix?

>> No.2014318

>>2014119
A lot of game stores these days give little for trades and charge a lot more than the games are worth if you're buying from them. I'm lucky one of the places out here is pretty fair on both ends, but the bulk of the rest aren't. Seen some places wanting like $20-25 just for that Mario/Duck Hunt combo (that good store charges about $5 at most, and has so many they give you a free one if you buy an NES from them) as an example. And that's generally a common as hell game.

>>2014056
Legend of Legaia goes for $35 at most where I live, and I know one place that only charges $15.

>He literally tells me that if he bought that copy of Legaia it would sit in the back because having 2 copies of Legaia in the display case would "devalue" them both
Makes me wonder how many stores pull that shit with copies of Earthbound and other notoriously expensive, but not-all-that-rare games.

>>2014087
With one of the stores I know of, if an import game is one that requires decent knowledge of Japanese to get the most out of (like JRPGs) and/or is on a region locked system, they tend to charge a lot less than they otherwise might. $500 for a Japanese copy of PDS sounds insane; do they seriously expect it to sell for that much?

>> No.2015572
File: 261 KB, 1280x960, IMG_2004.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2009747
Me again, coming back with a report of my trip. The guy who owned the store was fuckin' choice. The owner's name was Doug and I would say he was in his late 50s. This guy was legit! I came there to buy games, but damnit I made a new friend by going into this store. Between two trips on two separate days, we shot the shit about his business and gaming for easily 90 minutes. He told me about how he opened his shop in 1989 and how he saw the industry change over the years. We discussed games we both used to own and regret selling away in the past. We talked about sites we liked to go to for buying/pricing vidya, and that's just three of many topics of discussion.

As for the games, I don't think there were too many steals to be had. In general the guy price about fairly, with some games I wanted more expensive compared to my own local retro store, but many also cheaper. Dude needs to make a living, I understand that, so I ended up handing about a hundred bucks to Doug. Since I bought a bunch from him he also gave me a 15% discount. maybe I didn't get the absolute best deals on certain games, but after chatting with this total bro I was less in it for cheap games, and I was just happy to support a small business run but a real, genuine gamer. Anyway, my haul:

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness - $12.75
Mercenary Force - $5.95
Ultima Runes of Virtue - $6.80
Little Nemo - $6.80
Clash at Demonhead - $6.80
Kung-fu Heroes - $5.10
Uniracers - $8.50
Mischief Makers - $17
Goemon's Great Adventure - $30.60

How'd I do?

>> No.2016150

>>2015572
You did well except for overpaying on Mischief Makers.

>> No.2016279

>>2015572
I'd say you didn't do too badly at all. And yeah, finding a store that not only has some decent prices on at least some of their stuff, but also has cool, knowledgable employees that are great to just shoot the shit with is excellent. Hope the people down that way appreciate that store. Did it seem like they got a lot of business (considering you said they've been there since 1989 I'm assuming they do, but with Gamestop getting huge and driving a lot of other used game stores out, at least where I live, it makes me hope the better ones like that one are able to survive)?

>I was just happy to support a small business run but a real, genuine gamer.
Part of the reason that I like to support one of the local used game stores where I live. Pretty damn good selection, generally decent prices (compared to elsewhere out here), and employees that are knowledgable about a variety of games and genres, can make good recommendations (and not just for popular games), and are downright fun to just chat about video games with when they're not real busy, even if you aren't buying something. I hope that particular store (actually a small chain I suppose, as they have three stores in the state, but only one is in reasonable distance from where I live) stays in business for a long time, and from what I've seen they have enough of a customer base that it likely isn't a problem.

>> No.2016301

>>2016279
Hard to say how his business is doing. Both times I was there I was the only customer, though he had a friend of sorts he was talking to the first visit. He had a copy of Bubble Bobble I was sorta interested in but it was still too much for my comfort, but he still tried to convince me to get it a couple times, so that's a red flag. Also there is a gamestop in the same town, but his business was mostly retro and gamestop is mostly modern so I don't think there's too much conflict there.

>> No.2016323 [DELETED] 

>Considering getting a part time at Good Will's in order to snipe cheap retro video games

Anyone have any success with doing this? I am already working a minimum wage job while in school, so I think it may work well.

>> No.2016348

>>2016301
Well, where I live Gamestop seems to be way too much competition for the smaller places that used to be a around, regardless of them only stocking fairly recent games. Used to have a decent variety of places to buy games: Gamestop, EB games, Play'n'Trade, Game Crazy, smaller businesses and mom-and-pop type stores.,. Now it's just Gamestop and places like Walmart and Best Buy, which are too big for Gamestop to drive away and have emphasis on stocking other stuff than games. Pretty much nowhere left in town to reliably buy anything sixth gen or older. The surviving smaller game shops are located in the surrounding towns, where there's less Gamestops (there's about seven in close driving distance to where I live; surrounding towns have one or two that I know of) to compete with. Doesn't help that Gamestop's able to afford a good deal of marketing and doesn't seem to have to deal with some of the issues these smaller stores face. I remember part of what contributed to the last local Play'n'Trade going under was that the owner of the corner they were on refused to allow such a small business any roadside advertising (and it really didn't help that due to the positioning of the area, their store was only really visible from one road of the intersection, and only when driving east).

>> No.2016501

>>1990324
the 90's were sweet