[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 441 KB, 994x349, Castlevania.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1982640 No.1982640 [Reply] [Original]

I want to play a castlevania game this october. I will take it on WiiU Virtual Console.

My choices:

-Catlevania 3 (Nes)
-Super Castlevania IV (Snes)
-Castlevania Dracula X (Snes)

I would have liked to be able to play Castlevania Legacy of Darkness but it is not available on the WiiU VC and it is expensive on ebay :(

>> No.1982642

3 or IV, or just get the best Castlevania game, Rondo of Blood.

>> No.1982652

Super Castlevania IV for atmosphere, Rondo of Blood for gameplay.
Castlevania X emulates the looks and music of Rondo of Blood but is a much inferior game.
Also consider Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth, the last Classicvania. Underrated game.

>> No.1982656

>>1982640

Beating CV3 guves you bragging rights in my book, and the level design is great. Go for that.

>> No.1982658
File: 193 KB, 690x388, wii-u-vc-hd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here, just saw that they will release Castlevania: Circle of the Moon next week and Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance the 16 october! Nerver played them, what do you think of them? The only catlevania that I have played are the first one on Nes, Castlevania 64, SOTN and Castlevania: Lament of Innocenc. I loved all of them except the one on ps2

>> No.1982659

>>1982656
Bragging rights because its hard?

>> No.1982667

>>1982658

Harmony of dissonance is the only sprite-based castlevania that I've played and didn't like. It's poorly optimized and really kind of awful compared to the other two GBA games.

Circle of the moon is great though, in my opinion. The card system is lots of fun to play with.

Not retro though

>> No.1982669

>>1982659

Yeah. Unless I'm just shit it's the hardest CV I've played.

>> No.1982670

>>1982658
I liked both of them, CotM probably being my all-time fav CV.

>> No.1982680

CV3. Great level design, very difficult, multiple routes for replayability.

>> No.1982683

>>1982669
CV3 is the only classic Castlevania I've ever been able to beat. I don't understand why people on /vr/ keep saying it's so hard.

>> No.1982691

>>1982683

In my experience it's the most brutal by a fair margin; it's one of the inly ones I HAVEN'T beaten. You are not supposed to get hit in that game at all, which is pretty standard for classic CV, but a lot of the enemy placement really makes you work for it.

>> No.1982702

Play all 3.

>> No.1982716
File: 12 KB, 260x226, SCIV.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1982640

Best art style:
1.) Dracula X
2.) Castlevania 3
3.) Castlevania 4

Best soundtrack:
1.) Castlevania 4
2.) Castlevania 3
3.) Dracula X

Highest difficulty:
1.) Dracula X
2.) Castlevania 3
3.) Castlevania 4

Best gameplay:
1.) Castlevania 4
2.) Dracula X
3.) Castlevania 3

Overall best:
1.) Castlevania 4
2.) Castlevania 3
3.) Dracula X

Pro tip: watch the AVGN's Castlevania series. He does a great job of reviewing of each game. I agree with the Nerd. Super Castlevania IV is the best.

>> No.1982720

>>1982716
Thanks dude, yeah im aware of the nerd

>> No.1982725

>>1982716
>Super Castlevania IV is the best.
It's a good platform game, but it's a bad Castlevania game. It feels completely different to the classic Castlevanias.

>> No.1982730

>>1982725
>It feels completely different to the classic Castlevanias.

It... doesn't? Rondo of Blood feels different than Castlevania 1 too, Bloodlines feels different than Castlevania III.

They're all classicvanias though. The Castlevanias that don't feel like classic Castlevanias are the Metroidvanias and the 3D games.

>> No.1982743

>>1982640
Hey OP, boot up your console's Wii mode, go to the Wii VC, and get Castlevania: Rondo of Blood from the TurboGrafx 16 category. It's way better than Dracula X.

Also, get Circle of the Moon when it comes out. I own it, and it's some fun Metroid-vania.

>> No.1982789

>>1982743
Rondo of blood looks nice but Turbografx games are released on the wiiu vc on Japaan and they may come on the North American store so it may be best that I wait for Rondo of blood to be released on the wiiu vc so I will all have my games in the same place and to be able to use the game pad and the save state fonction.

>> No.1982791

>>1982725
They were improving on a clunky game. It's not like it was a drastic change like RE4 from RE3.

>> No.1982854
File: 469 KB, 600x825, 600full-super-castlevania-iv-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1982716
>Best art style
That would be Super Castlevania IV, it's Gothic atmosphere and rather chill gameplay is why I always play trough it around Halloween. Dracula X might have more impressive graphics on the tecnical front, but it lacks identity and atmosphere.

>Best soundtrack
I'd say that's the only thing Dracula X has going for it. It edges out Rondo of Blood's Redbook audio in some cases and is a clear case of how good Konami was at mastering the S-SMP chip (unlike Capcom).
http://youtu.be/Jl-mQRV-G3Y?t=2m28s

>Highest difficulty:
Dracula X is mostly that difficult because of frustrating design. It's often not fun in that regard. Casltevania 3 is almost as difficult, but in a fairer, more thought out way.

>Best gameplay:
Depends, if you want something easy to breeze trough while enjoying the mood and aesthetics, SCV4. If you want a real challenge with replay value, branching paths and secrets, CV3.

>Overall best:
We're in agreement here, if only because of SCV4's replayability. CV3 is close behind though. X has its moments and is worth checking out, but it's there with the lesser Classicvania's, such as Castlevania: The Adventure and Haunted Castle.

>> No.1982863

>>1982854
Thank you all, I decided to buy Castlevania IV, I'll play it tonight. If I have difficulties with bosses or certain part of the game I'll make a new thread. It will be my first time playing that game and I may need expert player a hand.

>> No.1982869
File: 158 KB, 1024x768, castlevania4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1982863
Have fun.

>> No.1982881

>>1982869
>1 new post
thank you

>> No.1982901

>>1982791
The "clunky" controls of Classicvanias are are important part of the style. Air control totally changes the feel of the game and reduces challenge.

>> No.1982918

>>1982901
dying because of clunky/bad controls is just annoying

>> No.1982945

>>1982918

Good thing CV's are neither. Don't blame the game for you being shit.

>> No.1982963

>>1982901

But it isn't like SCV IV even gave you that much air control. You still fall really fast, too.

The multidirectional whipping was what really made it feel different. Still super fun, tho

>> No.1982983

>>1982918
being casual must be shit

>> No.1983478

>>1982863
You have chosen wisely, anon.

>> No.1983482

>>1982640
Uh you can't really go wrong, all of them have their pluses and minuses.

My favorites are:
>Castlevania 3
>Chronicles
>Dracula X

>> No.1983483

dracula X and rondo of blood are completely different games

dracula X is very poorly made and does not represent the quality of rondo of blood, would not recommend

>> No.1983514

Install the Homebrew channel on your Wii U's Wii channel and get the three plus Rondo of Blood for free!

>> No.1983518

>>1982716
>castlevania 3 not the hardest
>castlevania 4 the best
stop sucking James's dick, I bet you think the avgn movie was good too.

>> No.1984459

>>1983518

And you stop sucking on Egoraptor's cock.

See? I can play the same game, too.

>> No.1984514

>>1982640
>and it is expensive on ebay
Use an emulator. Emulate them all and play them.

You udnerstand that the VC is emulation, too, don't you?

>> No.1984516

>>1982652
>Also consider Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth, the last Classicvania. Underrated game.
Stellar updated music, but the rest was pretty damn crappy.

>> No.1984518

>>1982716
>Pro tip: watch the AVGN's Castlevania series. He does a great job of reviewing of each game.
Holy shit, you're one of those kids who actually thinks those are serious reviews and not just comedy sketches, don't you?

>> No.1984524

>>1982863
It's perhaps the weakest classicvania due to overreliance on visuals instead of gameplay, low difficulty level, uneven level design, and badly implemented mechanics like whip grappling. The music is mostly badly composedand ambient, the sound has that underwater ambience typical of weaker SNES games.

SCV4 is not a bad game, but it's a very inferior classicvania. It was heavily advenrticed back on release, and many nostalgic people accept it uncritically to this day. But it's about on part with Lament of Innocense et al at its best, being incomparably inferior to CV1 or even 3.

>> No.1984559

>>1984524
>It's perhaps the weakest classicvania

I'd say it's at least on the same tier as Bloodlines (which i also love)

>low difficulty level

I dunno, the first few levels maybe, but not the whole game. I had way more trouble on IV's last 4 stages than with anything that wasn't a boss in Rondo.

>uneven level design

care to elaborate? I love IV's level design. Moreover, Rondo of Blood has a very weak level design too, most levels are pretty short and easy, but it compensates for having branching paths. By the way, IV doesn't have branching paths, but it has about the same amount of levels Rondo does.

>and badly implemented mechanics like whip grappling

How is it badly implemented? It was always a praised mechanic, people loved the grappling and the multi-directional whip until Egoraptor released his Sequelitis video.

>The music is mostly badly composedand ambient

wut.
Do you know what ambient is?
how in the fuck is this ambient music? it's more like jazz fusion mixed with goth rock, which screams Castlevania to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cTjcGCjluQ

>and many nostalgic people accept it uncritically to this day
Nah, many people just parrot the "it's too easy!" and "the whip is broken!" stuff but I hardly see any convincing argument about it all. It's not easier than Bloodlines or fucking Rondo of Blood.
By the way I played IV as an adult, I didn't buy into any marketing hype or anything. just loved the game.

>but it makes sub-items useless

Wrong. It just gives you the choice to play the game in different ways. Anyways if you are attempting any serious playthrough of Castlevania IV, you WILL need the triple cross as the sub-weapon, it helps a lot, it's bullshit that you can reach everything with the whip as many people say to discredit the mechanic.

>> No.1984570

>>1984559
>>uneven level design
>care to elaborate?
Gimmick stages like the mode-7 crap. Boss battle design, which was the worst in the series, period.

>and badly implemented mechanics like whip grappling
>How is it badly implemented?
It's unnecessary and cumbersome.

>> No.1984572

>>1984559
>>but it makes sub-items useless
>
>Wrong.
Who the fuck are you quoting (and actively disagreeing with)? Maybe you need to start taking medicine.

>> No.1984587

>>1984570
>Gimmick stages like the mode-7 crap

I know that stuff was made mostly to demonstrate the mode7 of the SNES, but it's not like there's whole levels with mode7 and nothing else. It's as if I say Rondo of Blood has gimmicky levels because they have cutscenes.

>It's unnecessary and cumbersome.

How so? I think the gameplay is top notch and I certainly can feel the programmer for CV IV was none other than Mitsuru Yaida who later worked on games like Gunstar Heroes or Bangai-O with Treasure. It isn't cumbersome in the slightlest. Or at least, try to elaborate a bit more because I just don't see it.
As for "unnecessary", in what way? You mean the grappling part? it's not like there's even a LOT of that in the game, but I thought it was pretty cool to play vertical levels like 3-2 or the clock tower and climb using the whip. But again, the grappling part wasn't even a big part of the game, it was just a few sections, not whole levels.

>>1984572
You're right anon, I wasn't quoting anyone in particular, but the contrarian anti-IV hivemind, the whole "it makes sub-items useless" is one of the most used arguments against IV, but as I said, it's bullshit. Maybe it makes you less reliant on them, but again, if you want to give IV a proper playthrough, triple cross sub weapon is a must, no exception. Some levels have very specific parts that are very hard to get through without the triple or double cross at least.

Anyway, it's funny, all this.

I mean, people saying IV always gets praised and that's why they attack it, because "people praise it too much, nostalgia goggles, too easy", etc... it's all buzzwords to me. First of all, people praise it? For quite some time now, everyime someone mentions IV, someone comes in and discredit it, everytime. If anything, IV is kind of unpopular right now.

Maybe we should chill down and enjoy the games, though. Classicvanias are all good. But I guess it'd be a boring cicrclejerk without some nerd fight.

>> No.1984596

>>1984587
>the whole "it makes sub-items useless" is one of the most used arguments against IV
That simply isn't true. The most used argument against SCV4 is that it was bland, dull and easy.

>> No.1984602

>>1984596
>bland, dull and easy.

Then I guess we could say the same about Bloodlines and Rondo.

Hey everyone, let's play nothing but CV1 and 3.

>> No.1984606

>>1984596
that isn't even an argument, it's just shitty opinions.

>> No.1984608

>>1984606
So is "but I liked it."

Here are some arguments: >>1984570 .

>> No.1984612

>>1984608

and here is the rebuttal
>>1984587

which was replied with shitty opinions again.

Try to keep at least a good argumentative level, people.

>> No.1984619

so it's cool to hate on CVIV now? what happened?

>> No.1984974

>>1984514
Do you know a good N64 emulator?

>> No.1984992
File: 34 KB, 600x700, i-m-so-sorry-for-what-happened.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1984619
Yeah :( I never imagine that would happen when I created this thread

>> No.1985025

>>1984619
/vr/ appeared, and people are more mature here. Nostalgiacs and circlejerkers aren't as welcome as they are on /v/, ironically. People have more experience with video games in general, so they aren't as stuck on their childhood favourites and have more substantial judgements. Etc.

>> No.1985030

>>1984974
There are no good Castlevanias on the N64, so you don't need one to enjoy Castlevania. Regardless, the games run on any one of them, including Project64.

>> No.1985032

>>1982640
Rond of Blood is available on the original Wii VC. Get that instead.

>> No.1985035

What are the differences between Dracula X and Rondo of Blood?

>> No.1985047
File: 54 KB, 500x444, 1373782166681.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1984612
>and here is the rebuttal
He just screamed that the programmer was great, and then went on to tear apart some statements he invented.

But I'll humour you guys.

The bosses you literally stand in front of and whip. The whip grabbing mechanics are unnecessary and unwieldy. Mode-7 stages look ugly as sin. The difficulty level is too low. The music is less melodic than in CV1-3, Rondo or 64k. The game now takes itself seriously, but there's nothing substantially serious about it, so it falls flat (unlike the horror movie parodies that were 1-3). And the whole thing is a huge step backwards from what CV3 successfully introduced - branching paths, characters with wildly different yet complementary playstyles, etc.

>> No.1985057

>>1985035
Dracula X: Chi no Rondo (Rondo of Blood) is a game for PCE-CD console. It was remade for the PSP and also released on the Virtual Console.

Dracula X (SNES) is an entirely different game that uses some of the assets from Rondo of Blood. It's completely different. An entirely new Castlevania game.

Rondo has branching paths, multiple exits, secret stages and bosses, an additional character, multiple endings.
The SNES game has two endings and one alternative stage in the middle.

Rondo is a better game, but the SNES game is a decent classicvania. It's not too good, but it's easily on par with games like Super Castlevania IV or Castlevania: Bloodlines. Back in late PS1 era, when SotN was at the peak of its popularity, people learned of a prequel that was exclusive to the Japanese version of PCE-CD. It was very hard to find that game. Meanwhile, the SNES game was readily accessible, but it had no SotN-like adventure elements, so fans of the new style of CV became increasingly angry at it. For a while people claimed that Rondo was the absolute best game ever. Later on it became accessible via emulation and was later remade for the PSP; people found out that it wasn't that great (although pretty good), and the hype died down, but some still hate the SNES game without really remembering where the hate comes from. As I said, the game's nothing special, but it's not bad either, just like the other SNES Castlevania.

>> No.1985061

>>1984518
Except his Castlevania marathon were actual reviews and not proper Angry Nerd videos.

>> No.1985070

>>1985057
Thanks for the info. I recently got a Vita and I think I'll buy Dracula X Chronicles seeing as it includes RoB and SOTN as unlockables.

>> No.1985074
File: 153 KB, 985x906, 067.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1985061
What makes you say that?

>> No.1985076
File: 9 KB, 640x480, golem.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do you guys know a effective way to defeat the Golem boss at 4-4 in castlevania IV?

>> No.1985078

>>1985070
Dracula X Chronicles is the full remake of Rondo of Blood, but, yeah, it also contains the emulated original and a port (I think it's a port, not an emulation) of SotN with an additional playable character. A good choice for a Castlevania fan, although I didn't like the way SotN sprites were resized.

>> No.1985079

>>1985076
Stand and whip. Sadly, that's how you defeat every single boss besides Dracula in that game.

>> No.1985104

>>1985079
I did that with the giant skull but I wish there is a pattern for the golem...

>> No.1985112

>>1985104
Maye there is, but what incentive is there to find it? Just whip 'um. You'll need to properly strategize on Dracula.

>> No.1985208

CV 4 is a good starting point for the Castlevania series. It's tough for a first-time player, has some very nice graphical touches and areas, and a good soundtrack. It's a bit slow and the early bosses are pushovers, but the game shines the further you get in to it.

I can understand people saying that it's not as good as the NES CVs, or as good as Bloodlines or Rondo, but it's still a solid series entry. I would recommend playing Rondo of Blood and skipping Dracula X, which honestly just sucks in comparison to Rondo.

Super CV is a wild ride especially if it's your first time. You'll have fun.

I have since gone on to like other CVs more but Super CV is still an enjoyable game.

>> No.1985227

>>1985208
>I would recommend playing Rondo of Blood and skipping Dracula X, which honestly just sucks in comparison to Rondo.
SCV4 sucks in comparison to Rondo, too. Why don't you recommend skipping it also?

>> No.1985228

>>1985112
I found the pattern, you have to always look on the ceiling and place yourself between two falling blocks...its quite easy actually :O

>> No.1985236

>>1985227
Well OP wanted a recommendation from those three games. CV3 is great, but far too hard, and Drac X sucks. SCV4 wins.

He should move up the ladder after that, if he's still interested in the series after all the bickering in this thread.

>> No.1985249

>>1985228
I also found the pattern: stand and whip forward, and it simply dies.

>> No.1985252

>>1985236
If you've never experienced goddamn fucking CV3 and crave a new Castlevania, then there really is only one choice, and SCV4 isn't it.

>> No.1985346

>>1985079

You can't just stand and whip with, for example, frankie's monster, the jewel bat, or the mummy, off the top of my head... why do you spread lies?

>>1985076
stay at the left, Golem will never touch you if you stay there, dodge the blocks that fall when he jumps and the ones he trhows at you. It's one of the easiest in the game, but also one of the coolest, I think.
If you have the axe or the cross, you can defeat it real easy.

>> No.1985348

>>1985025
You know, it's funny because the hate for IV started by teenagers on /v/, fanboys of Egoraptor.

Most people probably can't even 1cc Castlevanai IV and probably many of those who say its easy beat the game by savestate scumming it.

>> No.1985361

>>1985047

>He just screamed that the programmer was great

No, I mentioned his name and what games he worked on, he's very famous for beign a good programming when it comes to control mechanics. Castlevania IV's whip mechanics aren't cumbersome. Get good, or play on an actual SNES, stop playing with emulators and keyboard.

>But I'll humour you guys.

Eh... let's see what you got, clown.

>The bosses you literally stand in front of and whip.

Read:
>>1985346
>You can't just stand and whip with, for example, frankie's monster, the jewel bat, or the mummy, off the top of my head... why do you spread lies?

>The whip grabbing mechanics are unnecessary and unwieldy.

Already replied to that. It's not unecessary because there are levels where you can go vertical and the grappling mechanic gets use, but the good thing about it it's that it's not overused either, it just has the right amount of it, and mostly on the later levels. Do you got to the later levels, anon, right? You didn't just watch Egoraptor and made your assumptions from there. Right?

>Mode-7 stages look ugly as sin.

Go play Lords of Shadow man, it's in HD!

>The difficulty level is too low.
Just like the beloved Rondo of Blood and Bloodlines (which I also love). Difficulty isn't all a game needs to be good. And again, go play the game, stop watching shitty meme reviews or playthrough videos of the first level.

>The music is less melodic than in CV1-3
I already posted the Clorckwork Mansion track, it's one of the most melodic Castlevania tracks ever. Not even counting Simon's Theme which is one fo the most iconic in the franchise after the likes of Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears and Beginning.

>The game now takes itself seriously, but there's nothing substantially serious about it, so it falls flat (unlike the horror movie parodies that were 1-3).

I... what?
Wait, do you say that because of the funny fake names the US localization of Castlevania 1 got? That wasn't on the original japanese.

>> No.1985362

>>1985348
You're wrong.

I hope the misunderstanding is now cleared.

>> No.1985381

>>1985362
You actually didn't clear up anything other than making it obvious that you're shitposting.

>> No.1985387

>>1985361
>Wait, do you say that because of the funny fake names the US localization of Castlevania 1 got? That wasn't on the original japanese.

Castlevania IV also got funny/non-serious names for some enemies on the american localization (although I know you're referring to the names on the credit screen on CV1).

>> No.1985493

>>1985252
I like CV3 a lot, but it's too frustrating to be the game you start the series with. It takes a lot of patience, that while totally and ultimately worth it, it would be daunting for someone to get into the games.

SCV4 by contrast is a fun, fairly easy game that has offers an all-around enjoyable experience.

>>1985361
It's not really the names. The general pumpin' soundtrack, the horror pastiche of the enemies, point out CV1 as being a big homage to classic monster movies.

SCV4 by contrast takes itself far more seriously. The game is a lot darker, the music is more ominous, and the bosses less cutesy.

Bloodlines also takes itself very seriously but stumbles a bit with its goofy blast-processing multi-limbed bosses, which look very silly.

>> No.1985502

>>1985074
The fact that I watched them?

>> No.1985586
File: 129 KB, 840x1236, SCVIVdracula-04.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1985493
>SCV4 by contrast takes itself far more seriously. The game is a lot darker, the music is more ominous, and the bosses less cutesy.

I just think they tried to make it look more like Haunted Castle or Castlevania 68k.

I think Castlevania always tried to be dark and ominous, maybe they just couldn't make it with the NES limitations so it's not as "atmospheric", but I think if we're gonna go and talk about a Castlevania that actually tried to be serious and dark (but failed and it became a meme) was SOTN.

IV still has a lot of the classic CV traits such as classic universal monster bosses, also I think the jewel bat is a very cute boss.

>> No.1985979

>>1985586
SOTN becoming goofy is the best example of a glorious failure. AH MASTER ALUCARD etc.

I'm glad you brought up 68K/Chronicles. That game felt pretty dark as well. I think in general after the first game the series took more of an effort to present itself as serious. CV3 doesn't nearly have the same flavor as the first CV. The 16bit and 68K games are full of brooding visual locations and soundtracks to match.

The first game feels fairly cute by comparison. I don't know how to gauge the reaction at the time, but the monsters, vampires, music, and general feel of the first game feels more like, I dunno, a G-rated classic.

This is a long response to the criticism above that SCV4 took itself too seriously. Basically, the CV games past the first took themselves very seriously, to varying degrees of success.

Great artwork btw.

>> No.1987742

The Nerd just posted a lets play of this game today on cinemassacre

>> No.1988134

>>1983518
>I bet you think the avgn movie was good too.

The movie was a horrible abomination of mankind.

I'd like to see an angry review of the avgn movie... anyone found one that would do it justice?

>> No.1988145

>>1985586
>a Castlevania that actually tried to be serious and dark (but failed and it became a meme) was SOTN.

It would arguably have succeeded much more likely if it wasn't for the uber-campy voice-over.

>> No.1988157
File: 9 KB, 384x282, castlevania6.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1985586
>I think Castlevania always tried to be dark and ominous
Yes, absolutely. That's why it was mostly jokes and spoofs, and the soundtrack was entirely made of dance tunes.

>> No.1988173

>>1988157

Read:
>>1985361
>Wait, do you say that because of the funny fake names the US localization of Castlevania 1 got? That wasn't on the original japanese.

And I don't know what you mean by "dance" tunes. The only sort of dance-y tracks from any Castlevania game I can remember are from the PS2 games, stuff like Leon's Theme or Anti-soul mysteries lab. From the 2D games, maybe Opus 13 from Rondo of Blood is sort of dance-y? But I don't think any of the NES Castlevania have any "dance" sound. Not even electro. To me, Castlevania music on NES always tried to emulate a sort of baroque/gothic music (with harpsichords and organs) with the NES sound, with also a sort of rockish/popish flavor with the rhythms.

There's some enemies on Castlevania IV that also have some dorky names, but again, those were all on US localization only, not on the original Japanese.

>> No.1988179

>>1985346
I really like SCIV but he's dead right and you aren't.

Frankenstein you crouch on a platform and spam whip.
Jewel bat you stand under it and spam whip.
For the mummy you stand on the lower platform and wait for him to come to you. You only need to move to the other side when he teleports there. Granted, using items will move things along faster.

I grew up with that game and love the art and music and the overall experience but it deserves all the flak it gets for its gameplay relative to the other entries in the series. The bosses are no exception.

>> No.1988183

>>1988179

With frankie, it depends really. Sometimes he uses that one double frankie and you can get fucked between both of them.
For the Jewel bat, that's ture for the first part of the battle, but when it splits, you can't stand under it and whip anymore because they drop jewels that hurt you, you need to be constantly moving from left to right evading them, while trying to hit them.

The mummy, that's right, you can cheap that fight up pretty easily.

>> No.1988206 [DELETED] 

>>1988183
>For the Jewel bat, that's ture for the first part of the battle, but when it splits, you can't stand under it and whip anymore because they drop jewels that hurt you, you need to be constantly moving from left to right evading them, while trying to hit them.

The jewels drop off to the sides in the same pattern they do in the first phase. If you're directly under it they'll never hit you in either phase.

>> No.1988230

>>1982716
>Pro tip: watch the AVGN's Castlevania series. He does a great job of reviewing of each game. I agree with the Nerd. Super Castlevania IV is the best.
AVGN fanboy detected his "reviews" aren't meant to be taken seriously.
>Never played rondo of Blood and instead that mediocre spin off bastard child version of it
Play Rondo of Blood and you'll change your mind. It looks amazing and very detailed for an "underpowered" system and best music in the series. SCIV is my 3rd game right behind CVIII (Famicom).

>> No.1988283

>>1982640
Wait a minute, I don't mean to be 'that guy' but why the fuck are you buying ROMs off WiiU VC? Is there just no hack for the WiiU yet? Also why only the Nintendo titles? Dude just emulate on your computer.

My choice is Castlevania 3, though again I have no idea why you are limiting yourself. Castlevania 1 is well worth a try, as is Rondo of Blood.

>> No.1988332

Any love for Castlevania Chronicles?

>> No.1988351

>>1988283
To add to this post, I believe the VC version of CV3 doesn't have the japanese music, either (which is downright amazing)

>> No.1988359

>>1988230
Pretty sure he's referring to Rondo of Blood in that post. Nobody likes Dracula XX.

>> No.1988456

>>1988359
>Nobody likes Dracula XX

Everyone knows that marketeers resort to stuff 'X' into the product name for apparently no reason if they want to shovel it to customers. "Dabburu Ekkusu" is clearly a sign of elevated desperation.

>> No.1991417

>>1988359
>Nobody likes Dracula XX.

I like both. Fight me, bro

>> No.1991451

>>1988359
I don't know man he referenced to the AVGN episode as a source of why those games are great and usually those people are referring to the SNES game not the PC Engine game.

>> No.1993230

>>1988332
I prefer the X68000 original

>> No.1993385

>>1991451

AVGN does mention Rondo of Blood and how it is "better" than Dracula X.