[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 9 KB, 259x194, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1975360 No.1975360 [Reply] [Original]

Epic final battle / last level thread.

To me, it don't get no more epic than Metal Slug 3.

The level is over half the game, you fly aeroplanes/helicopters, killing soldiers and vehicles, and then you face the final boss - Morden.

But wait! He's actually an imposter and the real Morden has been captured by the aliens, and they take no time in capturing you as well. You go into space in a fucking rocket, blowing up alien spaceships and meteorites, that music pumping you the fuck up, you fly into the mothership, and blow up more alien shit, and then penetrate the core of the mothership where you find Morden being zapped in his underpants. Then you rally up with his troops to destroy a bunch of robot spider things, until you get to the Mother Alien herself, sitting on her throne - and you kill it. But then you have to face tons of clones of your fallen comrade, but luckily you find that soldier trapped in a prison - which you destroy. Suddenly the clones mutate into zombie clones that vomit blood, so now it's time to escape the mothership in a tank. Oh except the mother alien is still alive and grabs your tank - and you proceed to face the final boss while FALLING FROM THE MOTHERFUCKING SKY.

Fucking amazing.

>> No.1975618

Bamp

No love for this thread :(

The end of Star Fox always felt epic... No matter the route

>> No.1975634

>>1975360

Last boss in Ikaruga. Great music.

>> No.1975638

Metal Slug X > Metal Slug > Metal Slug 3 when it comes to having fun trying to 1cc them, but Metal Slug 3 > Metal Slug X > Metal Slug when it comes to credit feeding with a bro.

The other Metal Slugs weren't developed by Nazca, so they don't matter.

>> No.1975651

>>1975638

I just finished X with 1 credit per level (a challenge, I think) and will start 3 eventually, that final boss was so lame tho. Glad 3 seems interesting.

>> No.1975660

>>1975651
X can be easily 1cc'd, except for the last boss which is ridiculously luck based. If you get bad item drops, you are fucked.

>>1975638
For what it is worth, 4 and 5 had some of the best music in the series.

>> No.1975729

>>1975660
>X can be easily 1cc'd,
That's pushing it a bit i mean it'd not the hardest but it can't be done "easily" either.

>> No.1975905

>>1975660

I feel you, but I'm not at that level yet. Maybe one day.

>> No.1975927

>>1975729
Other than a few tight spots on the last level, and most importantly the fact that you are subject to random drop luck on the last boss, MSX is not THAT hard. The last level in MS3 is worse, if only because you absolutely need autofire on all the shmup sections. (similar to the metro train stage in MSX, but worse, because you have more of it)

>> No.1975968

>>1975360
that moment the soldier flys into the space ship and blows himself up defeating the boss.
I dotn think i ever played a game with a better ending

>> No.1975996
File: 17 KB, 300x244, s_Island_7375.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1975360

>> No.1975998

>>1975360

Is there anyway to loop all the metal slugs together into one giant campaign? THAT would be fucking great, they always just a little too short for me

>> No.1976001

>>1975998
there was metal slug antology for the ps2 and wii that was a compilation of all the games i think.
Shame the 360 only got 3

>> No.1976006

>>1975998
They were arcade games, so they were built around being able to be beaten in 20 minutes or less (if that). But I suppose some rom hacker COULD theoretically create a super long Metal Slug. Actually, thinking on that, I really hope someone does it, because the games are actually fairly continuous "plot" wise. That, plus with there being 7 games (not counting X and XX) with 6 levels in all but 1 (witch had 5) we're talking about a 41 level long game.

What would be even better would be if they put every playable character from every game, Every weapon from every game, every vehicle from every game, the levels from Metal Slug Advance as well as some of the better gameplay features from Metal Slug 6 (like being able to take multiple hits, but keep that in easy mode ONLY) and a boss rush mode with every boss from every version of every game. That shit would be SO fucking cash.

I don't think I'd ever play another game again. Ever. Literally.

>> No.1976016

>>1976006

I hate paying full price for games, but I would absolutely pay full price for this.

You could add timed modes, I'm sure we'd end up with tons of webms of speed runs.

SOMEONE DO THIS, IT WOULD BE AWESOME

>ROCKEET LAWNCHAIR

>> No.1976194

I want to be mad at Ocarina of Time for making Ganon into a mindless beast that looked more crocodillian than porcine.

But I just can't stay mad. It's not the most challenging end-game, but damn I still love everything about it.

>> No.1976484

>Seiken Densetsu 2 aka Secret of Mana
Finding out the final boss was a little heartbreaking, but the buildup towards that final battle was also quite good.

>Smash TV
You've come this far, now you get to see how Mutoid Man has improved as well!

>Earthbound
It's a boss that's literally too powerful for you to defeat. Seemingly impossible odds are part of having an epic final boss, no?

>Super Mario Bros. 3
>Wizards & Warriors 3
The music gives these battles a sense of finality. You know this is it, and everything you've done up to now hinges on this one fight.

>Super Metroid
That moment when Mother Brain wakes up, it's like "oh shit did she just go Super Saiyan on me?" The tension of getting out quickly after killing Mother Brain makes it feel like an epic escape as well.

>Tales of Phantasia
You've been chasing Dhaos across the land and through time. Here's where it all ends.

>Mega Man Zero 3
>inb4 not retro
I always like when you have to face a proper mirror match. Some games have a "mirror" match where your mirror version's capabilities are nothing like you and are basically just another enemy that looks like you.

>> No.1976496

>>1975360
Shiiiiit OP on the original xbox version of metal slug 3, you were reverted to the beginning of a stage if you ran out of 4 lives. It is soooo damn difficult on the final stage! Me and my best friend when were kids used to spent countless hours trying to beat it to get all the modes that unlock after, getting through this immense gauntlet on just 4 lives and i remember the one time i got to the first phase of the alien queen and i got nuked by the psychic ball, that made me rage so bad. Only years after did i see the final boss in action and finally beat it, what an amazing game though.

>> No.1977965
File: 34 KB, 682x480, logo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1978017

I love the final mission in general, but the last part is really anti-climatic. A gigantic damage sponge with a single two-step attack pattern was absolutely pathetic. Knife the brain, jump during the energy blast, dodge the rising pukes and repeat the process literally a hundred times. Or you could die on purpose to unload those free granades in hopes of faster damage on unlimited cotinues.

>> No.1978058

>>1975618
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Don't ever give up my son

>> No.1978073

>>1977965
Indeed.

>> No.1978083
File: 116 KB, 524x275, Screen shot 2014-10-01 at 9.15.41 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There wasn't really anything in the final Level that made it more exciting than the rest of the game.

But that cutscene just before made me so mad and ready to kick that bosses ass!