[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 58 KB, 688x584, hot damn nigga.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1955123 No.1955123[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone else get this? When it's an old console game I never played, or a specific type of PC game, I don't have a problem. Point and Click or RPGs or platformers, no problem.

But when I was young, I never played any real FPS games, so while I can play more modern iterations, going back to Half Life or Deus Ex or Doom, I just get annoyed with the control scheme, where older games don't give me that trouble. It's not as if it's the graphics or something, but there's just a wall of entry I can't seem to find exciting, when I go back too far on certain genres. I don't know if it's nostalgia, or accessibility or what, but I pop in the tutorial level, and I'm just frustrated and want to stop immediately. I play something like Monkey Island or King's Quest, though, and I'm enjoying myself. And it's not as if I hate FPS games, I can play Portal or Far Cry 2 and it's all okay.

Anyone else get this sort of thing?

>> No.1955152

I don't think it's the lack of nostalgia from you to those games but your inflated nostalgia for the games you had played.
Many games were still discovering new schemes of controls for their genres at time and didn't had a formulated norm like nowadays so I can see where you're coming from,but give those games a chance,that's coming from someone that played Deus Ex and Monkey Island 10 years from their release.

>> No.1955153

>>1955123
Just get used to the controls, I guess. Or don't play retro FPS at all

>> No.1955156
File: 7 KB, 180x152, greatest of all time.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I dislike most modern games (read 99%)
And I cannot play old retro games that I didnt play when I was a kid.

So I'm stuck in retro nostalgia.
Fortunately I played some great games growing up.

muh autism

I don't like retro games, I like the 'feel' of them I guess lel

>> No.1955163
File: 129 KB, 925x864, okay.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I never really was into old western RPGs. The ultima underworld games are probably the oldest ones that i like. I tried Akalabeth once but i can't get into that.

>> No.1955180

I guess you need to see it like this:Imagine if you're playing that game for the first time as you were playing the games you already know and love.You didn't knew that you had to press down on the pipes in super mario bros to find secrets but you discovered it and the fact of learning it was rewarding enough right?At least that's how it was for me.
I hate to use this word but from my experience of knowing people that can't get into retro games is because they are too lazy to learn a new thing that is different from the pattern of modern video games instead of enjoying a new take of what they were doing.
A good game to try this new approach would be Ys,which I highly doubt you had played while growing up.Just give it a try and you will know what I mean.

>> No.1955185

Chalk it up to shit taste as a kid or whatever, but 90% of the retro games I play now I didn't discover until 2001 and beyond.

>> No.1955212

I like to discover old games I missed back in the day, but I don't have as much patience for arcade stuff. So I'll play one for a bit and mess up a lot and think "nice game but I would have enjoyed it more 20 years ago".

And I generally avoid other stuff with a timer or realtime strategy.

Otherwise I'll play just about anything, including 70's mainframe stuff...

>> No.1955253

Nah, I don't like to generalize this way. If a game is good to me, I'll play. For example, I didn't knew there was a style like roguelike until one or two years ago, and now its one of my favourites and where I spend more time playing.

>> No.1955859

This isn't normally the case for me. I'll admit that there's sometimes a bit of a hurdle to get past for some games, but generally I can really enjoy an old game that I missed while growing up.

For example, I didn't play StarTropics, Klonoa, or Silent Hill until a couple years back, and I thoroughly enjoyed all of those games.

However, I've also had some difficulty getting into Deus Ex and Planescape: Torment. But I think that's more to do with me being a huge consolefag.

>> No.1956417

I mostly play retro games for the nostalgia purposes so for me I get the most enjoyment out of goes I've played before. But if a game is similar to something I played before, a sequel to something I played, or just a game I wanted to play but for some reason missed I cam get into it. But yeah the games I'm into the most are games I've played before.

>> No.1956459

>>1955123
I missed out on an absolute shitload of great games on NES/SNES/N64/PS1, as well as Genesis/Sega Saturn/Dreamcast, but I don't really give a fuck about Sega.

So I got my old shit back, hooked it up, started reading what was good, and went hunting. I found some great games I played as a kid, and some I didn't. I enjoyed most of them, some were trash but I beat them anyways (Vampire Hunter D PS1, Golden Eye 007 on GB, stuff like that). Its not even that I prefer retro, I still play modern games (Most recent was Drakengard 3 which by all accounts is terrible, but theres just something about it that makes me want to play it) and I guess I dunno.

How do you describe it? The X factor? That something-something you can't put your finger on that draws you in? A lot of games have it, sometimes for the prestige of beating it, sometimes for that overwhelming nostalgia, but I don't really know, games are just fun man.

>> No.1956465

I can get into retro FPSs easily.
Games like Age of Empires I have a harder time adjusting, as I was never a huge fan of RTSs.
And I cannot get into sidescollers at all.