[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 33 KB, 1340x754, 1406780755287.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1951669 No.1951669[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How good is your PC /vr/?

Mine is a piece of shit. In fact it's not even a PC... it's a laptop. Specs:

2.4Ghz Core2Duo
512MB HD Mobility Radeon 4570
4 Gig RAM

I got this around 2009. It can run PC games up to about 2006 with decent settings at framerates above 60fps. I can do all my retro emulation on this and of course it runs the old classics (Quake, Doom, Blood, Duke, SW etc) and their sourceports with ease. It also runs Quake Live and CS1.6 perfectly, though I don't get the benefit of 120fps unfortunately owing to the 60hz refresh rate. I have a PS3 but I hardly touch it and still do most of my gaming on this laptop.

I think about buying a new PC but there's really nothing that's interesting to me anymore. I think I'm legitimately growing out of gaming. I've played so much shit that the appeal has just worn out now. Everything feels the same, there is no more novelty and I don't find any single player games challenging anymore. That was the difference between gaming as a child and as an adult; as a kid I didn't know whether or not I'd be able to beat a game and when I did beat them it was an accomplishment. As an adult I know I'll be able to beat it, and even if it's a bit tricky at first (which it never is anymore anyway) I know that if I put the effort in I'll beat the game. It just feels pointless now, basically. Even games that I couldn't beat as a child that I returned to as an adult were piss-easy.

There is literally only one upcoming game that has my eye and that's Bloodborne, but I can't justify buying a PS4 just for that (but I probably will anyway because of normalfag friends for Fifa etc).

Anyway, this is why I don't buy a new PC; because I seriously doubt there will be anything on it I'd want to play and I'm happy enough with my toaster laptop. Just wondering if there are other people on /vr/ that are also like me and what kind of specs your PCs have.

>> No.1951756

Athlon 2 X2 250
4 gigs of ram
some cheap 1gb graphics card

works for Civilization, GGPO, emulating and Street Fighter IV.

I have been gaming on PC since Sid Meier's Colonization for DOS. I generally buy a new pc when a new Civ is released. Like every 6 years.

I am not a fan of upgrading constantly, I have limited tastes, and I like low power consumptions pcs.

>> No.1951765

AMD FX 6100 Six-Core
8GB or Ram
GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST

; w ; I'm sorry...

>> No.1951773
File: 1.02 MB, 2592x1936, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's not too bad, but I'm still kicking myself for upgrading. It was such an impulse buy too.

i5 2500k overclocked to 4.2GHz
GTX 660
8GB RAM
500GB HDD
Pretty big 60hz ASUS monitor 1080p. I think 27".

The rig is kicking and handles anything I throw at it pretty well after tweaking. But I am kicking myself for upgrading from a 570 to a 660.

I go through phases like you, but I usually find other hobbies, some being vidya unrelated. Then after a little break I get back enjoying vidya as much as ever. It's actually how I got into /vr/ sort of.

Just don't play anything you're not having fun with.