[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.02 MB, 2592x1936, a1b4a59d49db62f83510289269d2c2f0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1917726 No.1917726 [Reply] [Original]

I want to build a nice, neat looking shelf for all my consoles, something kind of like pic related. I don't really know where to start though. I want to get measurements of consoles so I can make sure all my consoles will fit, but I can't find a place with these measurements.
Anyone have any ideas and tips? I'm thinking that I'll want my shelves to be at a slight downward angle too, and a sliding glass panel in front to keep out dust.

Console shelving/organizing thread?

>> No.1917756

>>1917726
That retron in the corner kills that picture.

>> No.1917797

theres really no reason to display your consoles unless it's some rare limited edition thats been signed or something otherwise if you have your consoles out they should be hooked up and that leads to another problem of power and cabling solutions.
Really theres not going to be a one fits all solution here as you can tell with this guy he even has 2 consoles on top of the shelving unit, you need to work with what you currently have and feel that you will eventually get and then develop that

>> No.1918057

I recently found some inexpensive shelving units I've been using. They are open back, 2x2 opening setup. Each opening is 13"x13" and handles all my systems except my Coleco, which is 15" wide. But I pulled out a divider to make it work.
I stacked a few of them together and it made a decent display.

I can also take approximate measurements of the consoles I have to help a bro out.

>> No.1918071

Personally I just use one of those cheap IKEA 2x2 cube shelf things to put my consoles in. CRT on the top, and each cubby hole has a console + controllers (NES, Genesis, N64, Gamecube)

Not a big fan of stuff like the OP pic because it seems cheesy as hell to just display the consoles themselves with no functionality. No controllers plugged in, probably not plugged in through the rear and I don't see any AC adapters anywhere, etc. I just keep mine like they are so there isn't a giant pile of consoles and controllers scattered across the floor

>> No.1918076

>>1917726
There are these things called tape measures OP. You should probably figure out what one is before starting a DIY project.

>>1917797
>no reason to display
Its not even about displaying, OP sure as shit isnt going to put lights in it. Its nice to have Consoles organized for easy access and you can leave your controllers and shit in there too.

>Have NES, SNES, N64, PS3, 360, Wii, and Wii-U
>Have a shelf similar to this
Obviously its not even close to the same size, because honestly that little box thing would be so fucking distracting compared to the TV. But I respect the wanting individual compartments for each console.

>> No.1918079

Measurements are rounded up to the nearest inch. Width x Depth x Height (including game/lid)

Colecovision 15x10x5
NES1 11x8x5
SNES2 8x8x5
Genesis2 9x9x4
N64 11x10x5
PSX1 11x8x8
GCN 6x6x8
Xbox 13x11x4

>> No.1918252
File: 62 KB, 342x500, 1384494563031.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1918076
I can measure the consoles I already have, but I want to build this also for consoles I'm planning to get in the future.
The consoles I already have measurements for:
Atari 2600
Famicom
NES
SNES
N64
GameCube
Wii
Wii U
Genesis 2 + Sega CD 2
Saturn
Dreamcast
PlayStation
PS2
PS3
Xbox
Ouya

The consoles I'm planning on getting but don't have yet:
Magnavox Odyssey
Odyssey 2
Colecovision
Intellivision
Atari 5200
Atari 7800
Atari Jaguar
Super Famicom
Sega Master System
32x
PS4
Xbone

If anyone can provide measurements for the second list of consoles I'd be grateful.
Also I'm thinking that the widest console would be the Genesis + CD 2 or Intellivision? And the tallest would probably the Genesis with the 32x attached? No idea what the deepest would be.

>> No.1918394

I'd recommend something enclosed, like glass doors on the front, so you won't have to worry about dust getting on everything.