[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 52 KB, 361x355, 1409511677740.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1902563 No.1902563[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Lets do one of these threads:

-What are you playing right now /vr/?
-What system are you playing it on? (for games with multiple ports)
-Are you enjoying it so far?
-Would you recommend it to others?

Screenshots would be nice too.

>> No.1902578

Dragon Quest 3
emulated (famicon)
I guess, I've played it a million times already
Only if they like that sort of thing

>> No.1902596

>What are you playing right now /vr/?
Dragon Warrior III

>What system are you playing it on? (for games with multiple ports)
NES

>Are you enjoying it so far?
Yes and I have to say the Merchant class is severely underrated, it's great at the beginning of the game. I wonder why I have never used them before?

>Would you recommend it to others?
I do recommend the game but honestly I do recommend playing the fan-translated SFC version over the NES one.

>> No.1902628

>>1902563
A-Train (AIII in Japan).

>What system are you playing it on?
DOS. Other versions aren't translated.

Yup. It's taking a while to learn, but I expected that.

If you want a cross between an economic simulator and a city-building game, go right ahead. Find the Maxis manual online and complete the print tutorial for a crash course in learning the UI and getting a settlement started. Then choose from one of six scenarios and experiment!

>> No.1902630

>>1902596
The Merchant can be fun, but I find it hard to justify the extra GP ability when a Fighter is going to save money by requiring minimal equipment up to 20 and remains useful either as a Fighter, or gives better base stats than the Merchant does if converting to a Soldier.

Not that I'm saying don't do it, of course, a large part of the fun of DQ3 can be challenging yourself with less than optimal parties; nothing beats trying to rock a late-game Goof-off with the Sword of Illusion and Magic Bikini.

>> No.1902632
File: 452 KB, 978x600, Screenshot_2014-08-31-15-52-55.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Grandia

>What system are you playing it on? (for games with multiple ports)
PSX, ePSXe emulator for android via rooted Nook Color Tablet. Got a wiimote+classic controller pro hooked up via bluetooth.

Yeah i'm having a blast so far. First time playing it, and it's been awhile since I've sat down with a good PSX RPG.
I dig the characters, world, art style (especially these 90s anime character profiles) as well as the game's battle system.
I was honestly expecting the ruins you're sent to at the beginning of the game by that museum curator to be just some boring old dungeon with halls and random encounters but was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was a dungeon with multiple paths, puzzles and traps with treasure everywhere. Very nice change of pace for an RPG.

So far absolutely.
I was actually recommended this game by someone else claiming it will take you on well hell of an adventure. I'm only about 2~3 hours in, but it has been a fun adventure at that.

>> No.1902634

>>1902628
Amiga and Mac versions by Maxis were translated, stupid me.

>> No.1902691
File: 61 KB, 640x480, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1902563

>-What are you playing right now /vr/? Replaying curse of monkey island

>-What system are you playing it on?
scummvm

>-Are you enjoying it so far?
Oh my god yes, the Monkey island series is one of my favourite game franchises ever made. I've a major soft spot for good old Guybrush.

>-Would you recommend it to others?
In a heartbeat, while its not the best in the series it's still a fantastic game. Dominic armato does a great job bringing the lines to life

>> No.1902704

Been playing a lot of MW.

>> No.1902710

>>1902630
>a large part of the fun of DQ3 can be challenging yourself with less than optimal parties
That's exactly what I have been doing, I used a 3 member party of Hero, Fighter and Merchant to go through the first third of the game just to test the Fighter and Merchant classes which I haven't really used before. I wasn't sold on using Fighter early on but the usefulness of the Merchant class early on honestly surprised me, they are only slightly inferior to Soldiers and easily make up what they lack in stats by leveling up faster. I turned my Fighter to Soldier and my Merchant to Fighter and both of them kick major ass now.

>the extra GP ability
I barely even noticed this and the few times I did the extra GP was too little to even matter.

>> No.1902735
File: 96 KB, 403x373, Edea_Kramer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Final Fantasy 8.

Edea best girl.

>> No.1902739

I played Dig Dug Arrangement. It's some Namco hits collection, but in an arcade. It's fun, but I feel they designed it to be a real coin cruncher. Like what the hell? Boss fights where a giant enemy runs around the room, and you need to explode walking pipe enemies to hurt it? I stopped playing after it took three dollars to beat and I died at least once every game. Oh yeah, it's an arcade machine too.

>> No.1902743

Might and Magic 4 and 5, World of Xeen
PC

Its pretty incredible, very much enjoying it. Its a combination of two massive bloobbers in one, with the ability to switch worlds.

I very much would, but better clear your gaming schedule.

>> No.1902775

-Conker's Bad Fur Day
-N64
-I would say yes, but I think that it's severely overrated, and some things definitely didn't age well, especially with the camera issues that a lot of N64 platformers have.
-Overall yes, but don't pay the ridiculous market price it's going for nowadays.

>> No.1902804
File: 412 KB, 751x563, FFVIII_Edea_Cid_Recording.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1902735
>Edea best girl.
True that.

>> No.1902809

-Majora's mask and Mario 64, emulated, but with original controller. Never finished the former, and never touched the latter, as my n64 came bundled with Mario Kart back then.
-Saturn Bomberman with some friends, emulated.
-Gran Turismo 4best GT

>> No.1902829
File: 9 KB, 237x366, rec'd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1902804

>> No.1902914
File: 18 KB, 240x320, 0003.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Armed Police Batrider

Toaplan Version 2 hardware

It's jawesome, getting close to single-credit clearing it with a default team (much harder than edit mode and single-ship mode as I've come to realize).

Absolutely, you should be aware of how the game adapts its difficulty depending on certain actions though. Don't pick up power-up icons you don't need and especially don't pick up 1up icons when you're already stocked as that'll blow the difficulty through the roof.

>> No.1902917
File: 97 KB, 415x293, hminteressant3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

interesting

>> No.1902930
File: 102 KB, 364x240, SCUS_944.57_30082014_142331_0350.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Grandia
PS1
Yeah
I would

>> No.1902973
File: 52 KB, 541x338, 0000001857.600x338.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

X-Com2:Terror from the deep
DosBox
Love/Hate it
Only for people who thought X-Com was too easy

>> No.1902995
File: 33 KB, 256x223, Final Fantasy IV EngTrans 0010.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1902563
Final Fantasy 4

Super Famicom (English Translation)

Hell yeah.

Hell yeah.

>> No.1903013
File: 779 KB, 149x250, av18DZ7.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1902563
I'm Playing Ghostu Reconu: Aruvanced Warifaiteru.

It´s the PC version (best version).
I'm not enjoying it, I just want to beat it because it gets on my nerves.
I would recommend it, if you are a masochist acostumed to well designed and balanced games.

fuck GRAW seriously.

>> No.1903856
File: 2.12 MB, 2592x1936, IMG_0764.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1902563
>-What are you playing right now /vr/?
Pic related for the first time ever.

>-What system are you playing it on? (for games with multiple ports)
Actual PS1

>-Are you enjoying it so far?
I just started but yeah, I'm enjoying it so far.

>-Would you recommend it to others?
Apparently some people like it more than VII, and it does look nice, Yeah why not?

>> No.1903980

Kirby Squeak Squad
Nintendo DS

>> No.1903993

>>1903856
>Pic related for the first time ever.

How many times did it take for you to attempt that? Did you figure out the cheap way of doing it?

I sincerely hope you knew to talk to Queen Brahne after all that trouble, too. I made that mistake once. Not fun resetting the game to do it all over again.

>> No.1904034 [DELETED] 

>>1903993
I did it on my third try, it was not that hard but I remember seeing a lot of pictures of people getting only 99 impressed nobles. What's the cheap way?

Well, I think I didn't, I only got 10,000 gils, what happened if I talked to the Queen?

>> No.1904047

>>1903993
I did it on my third try, it was not that hard but I remember seeing a lot of pictures of people getting only 99 impressed nobles. What's the cheap way?

Well, I think I didn't, I only got 10,000 gils, what happens if I talk to the Queen?

>> No.1904076

-What are you playing right now /vr/?
Sonic 3 & Knuckles

-What system are you playing it on? (for games with multiple ports)
Genesis 2

It's my old cart from when I was a kid that I just recently recovered from our family storage unit. I'm trying to get the last two Super Emeralds that I never got on my Sonic & Tails file. It's fun to relive these memories.

Oh, hell yes. Sonic 2 may be THE definitive Sonic game, but S3&K is the best of the Genesis Sonic games.

>> No.1904082
File: 45 KB, 294x268, face.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1904047
Oh man, I had a feeling you'd say that. Basically the 10,000 gil isn't the full prize you get for impressing everybody (Unless you're speedrunning, in which case it's very useful). You're supposed to talk to Queen Brahne as soon as you get control of Steiner to get the moonstone. There are only four in the game, and you need one to complete the friendly monster side quest, but it's most useful in the beginning because it lets you learn Shell much earlier than normal (And also switches Carbuncle's reflect for shell, or shell and protect with the Boost ability) . It isn't the end of the world if you don't have it, but it makes some early boss fights much less painful.

Also, let Freya win the festival of the hunt and make Zidane steal everything he can from bosses.

>> No.1904092

>>1904082
Oh, and the cheap way for the sword fight, at least my cheap way, is literally just covering the screen with something so that you can only see the text box. The background is deliberately distracting, especially when Zidane and Blanck move left and right, and obstructing all of that makes it much easier to pay attention to the commands. The frame margin for you to get 100/100 is incredibly small and one fuckup or slight pause completely ruins it.

It's cheap as hell but it helps me do it on the first try every time now. I fucking love FF9 but I fucking hate that minigame.

>> No.1904104 [DELETED] 

I've been fussing with X-COM: Enemy Unknown (OpenXCOM, to be more specific) on my cellular telephone. I think my screen's too small for their UI, though, with a Galaxy S4 Mini.

>> No.1904105

>What are you playing right now and what system
've been fussing with X-COM: Enemy Unknown (OpenXCOM, to be more specific) on my cellular telephone. I think my screen's too small for their UI, though, with a Galaxy S4 Mini.

I fucking love X-COM. The port is... barebones. Really, X-COM would need a total UI overhaul to be good on mobile, and that's not happening.

If you've got a huge ass screen.

>> No.1904126
File: 1.73 MB, 295x211, 1405287764573.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1904082
>>1904092
Well fuck me, I'm at the Ice Cave right now so I don't think I will go back and do that again, and yeah I've been stealing from everything that moves, pretty annoying because some times Zidane just won't steal anything for many turns.

Noted about Freya winning the festival, thanks for the info!

I didn't had much hard time with that minigame, I got 96 the first time, 72 (for some reason) the second, and 100 on the third, I thought I was going to get 99 or something. I think I'm trained by modern games on QTE related stuff...

>> No.1904335
File: 40 KB, 160x223, ShaqFu_Genesis_Bigboxart_160w.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Playing nothing, atm.
But I just finished playing (about a half hour ago) Shaq Fu on the Genesis. I'd recommend it on the grounds of cheesiness. The sprites move fluidly, but the moveset is limited and the fighting is generally weak. I just love the ridiculous storyline of Shaq (yes, Shaq) beating the living shit out of every man, woman, and child (yes, he beats up a kid) that gets in his way. It's the most ridiculous game I've ever played, and that's kind of its charm. A sequel is in the works and I can't wait to play it!

Before that I played WCW/nWo Revenge on the N64. Not quite as good as WWF No Mercy (the graphics, sound, and control scheme is better on No Mercy, plus a more in-depth moveset is present) but still very good! I'd definitely recommend picking it up and playing it. If you come across any wrestling game from AKI, whether it be on the N64 or their newer Def Jam releases on PS2, buy it, you'll enjoy it.

>> No.1904691
File: 142 KB, 1023x880, Z0031771.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1902563
Die Hard Trilogy for the PS1. Nostalgia all over the place.

>> No.1904703

Playing atm
Trying to beat Tiny Toons Buster's Hidden Adventure, Soul Reaver: LoK and Rayman 2
Consoles
Genesis and Dreamcast
Enjoying it
Rayman 2 is very similar to Mario 64 feel like it's an upgraded version of mario 64 I really like the game. Soul Reaver, Hell yeah the game has a kick ass atmosphere and music is great/ Very good graphics for DC. Tiny Toons is fun but challenging Konami did a great job with the license. The Continue music is very catchy and I don't remember much of the cartoon tho.
Would I recommend it
Yeah all of them if you're into platformers and adventure games.