[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 48 KB, 372x266, super_smash_tv_snes_box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1900201 No.1900201[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I've been alive for nearly three decades, have been gaming for as long as I can remember, and have somehow managed to never play a Smash TV title. Planning on fixing this and I'd like to know if there's a definitive version I should start with or any I should make sure to steer clear of. Planning on playing pic related.

>> No.1900264

>>1900201
That's an excellent version. It's the best home version by far and is considered better than the arcade version by many.

>> No.1900297
File: 7 KB, 93x140, hostofsmashtv2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1900201
Be sure to call a friend and grab some beers.

>> No.1900369

>>1900201
best version is the PS2 version on midway arcade treasures or the xbox live arcade version both of those allow you to play with dual analogs. Also they are the arcade version so you don't have to settle for a port with inferior sound and graphics.

>> No.1900441

>>1900201
The SNES port is fantastic.

I played the arcade version after this version, and it may just be nostalgia, but I definitely prefer the sound of the SNES port. The music sounds way more full and satisfying. Obviously the arcade version is better graphically, but the SNES game still looks good.

The controls are good because of how the SNES paddle is laid out.

>> No.1900449
File: 16 KB, 501x375, Moneyhumiliation.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1900297
>your friends will never appreciate video games enough to have a Smash TV night with you

>> No.1900459

I'd go for mame, personally.

>> No.1900574

>>1900201
SNES version is one of the best. Just try and find it fast. Even shitty games have their price jump after James Rolfe makes a video of it.

>> No.1900670

>>1900201
There's a version for PS1 I think that has Smash TV, Rampart and the like. I think the PS1 version is a great home version:

- Dual analog stick control (better than the 4 buttons imo
- Unlimited lives optional, which is great if you and a friend just want to shoot the shit while playing. When I was 17, my friend and I would drink while playing and it was great

One of the devs in the credits is called Ray Gay. We'd cheer Ray Gay!! as soon as his name appeared, and that signaled it was time to switch off and goto the bar.

>> No.1900674

>>1900369
>>1900670

damn, it's PS2, not PS1, you're right. Guess that's not technically retro? If you have a ps2 or xbox I'd still say those are the best for the reasons I listed, though.

>> No.1900678

>>1900674
Collections of retro games on non-retro consoles are fine.

>> No.1901384

>>1900369

If you wanna have some fun, remember that the Rock Band/ Guitar Hero controllers can be used with the XBLA version. Me and my friend had TONS of fun playing it (poorly of course) that way.

>> No.1901445

Full 100% no filler rundown

the ps1 or ps2 ports are okay but the thing is your essentially emulating it but whatevs. The controller works nicely either way.

the snes one has a great controller and is different. Faster by a notch.

The arcade one is harder on the hardest setting.

The snes one just has a better atmosphere and I really hate saying "atmosphere" when referring to games.

Either way you'll probably never be badass enough to handle the pseudo-sequel.

If you have 4 controllers somehow and want to dual-wield dpads you can play the NES one awesomely assuming controls and all. It's like a gameboy version.

>> No.1902427

Played the arcade version at Barcade in Brooklyn a few months ago. First time I played it since I was a little kid and Bullwinkles had it. Didn't remember it being so hard.

>> No.1902452

There's a PS1 collection with smash TV on it, that was my first time playing it way back. I later got the XBL version.

Both of them are arcade ports, the PS1 collection had some cool behind-the-scenes developer interviews and trivia. They talked about how only one guy had beaten the whole thing in one credit and that inspired little me to try it too.

Naturally I didn't succeed but I sank countless hours into it trying. I had a few friends who played it with me but sadly I never met anybody into it enough to play more than a couple of credits, let alone attempt a perfect 2-player run.

Also twin stick shooting feels like shit since you can only shoot in eight directions anyway, even with a dualshock I found myself using the dpad and buttons.

Later in my games/ps1's life some of the shit went funny and guys would be the wrong color. I thought it was a cool secret at first but then the sounds went bad too, sucks.

>> No.1902475

I only played the Megadrive version, but I had fun.
Fuck the twin snakes boss tho

>> No.1902536

Midway Arcade Origins on PS3/360 has the arcade version of the game and it looks amazing due to being rendered in HD.

>> No.1902694

I never played it either. Just picked it up for the Genesis for a few dollars. I haven't played it too much but, it seems pretty difficult so far.

>> No.1903498

>>1900201
>I
>I
>I
>I

>> No.1903525

Arcade version. The Midway arcade treasures on GC, Xbox, PS2... or you can just emulate it on PC.

>> No.1903827

>>1900441
>the SNES paddle

Why did people say this back in the day? Also, calling cartridges "tapes"

>> No.1903847

>>1903498
Is English not your first language? There's nothing wrong with what he wrote.

>> No.1903892

>>1903827
Didn't everybody watch their Intendo tapes with a paddle in hand back then?

>> No.1905391

I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR

>> No.1905920

>>1902452
Though the best version is technically XBLA due to pure price, PS1 collections were so based. Especially Namco Museum volumes

>Games were close as fuck to the arcade originals
>dat museum, what a great way to show off trivia and cool content
>at least Phozon was actually improved from the original arcade version by localization
>dip switches

>> No.1907183

>>1905920
Do they still have SmashTV on XBLA? I remember they removed the old Midway games a while back.