[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 539 KB, 1600x1200, DSC_0545.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1897779 No.1897779 [Reply] [Original]

How did I do?
Never modded a console let alone did cuts to plastic but I am glad I now can at least play 60hz games with this PAL mega drive.

After I get the RGB cable.

Also mega drive thread

>> No.1897784

>>1897779
>PAL mega drive

You fucked up.

>> No.1897804

>>1897784
I live in europe.
You know where I really fucked up.
Soldered and destroyed the board on my Japanese model 1 mega drive.

>> No.1897816

>>1897804
If anything you saved it from a tortured life of pal garbage.

>> No.1897826
File: 72 KB, 531x471, 1408461423541.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1897816
how.
It was a fucking Japanese fucking mega drive.
Takes all cartridges (since it already had cartridge lock removed) - it has right oscillator for NTSC 60 and runs even PAL shit in 60hz

To respond a thread about mega drives you should fucking know something about mega drives.

It was a fucking NTSC mega drive, full and all - and I lost it just because I was a twat.
Now I had to mod the PAL ASIA model and order RGB cable to get back in order.

>> No.1897831

>>1897826
Hey if you went out of your way to buy a ntsc tv, games, voltage converter, etc then good. Most don't.

>> No.1897832

>>1897826
What were you trying to do to it when you damaged it?

>> No.1897836

>>1897831
Get a load of this guy talking out his ass. He's going to play via RGB so it's not NTSC or PAL but he does want his games to run at 60hz.

>> No.1897841

>>1897779
You did poorly. All used regions can be added with 1 on-on-on switch for the Megadrive 1 since the chip pulls all the region jumpers high for some reason. There is even a small little slot on the back of the machine where you can fit in the switch without cutting any holes into the case.

>> No.1897859

>>1897836
He might have a point with different SCART standards in Japan, but nothing a good old 2$ converter can't do. You still fucked up OP.

>> No.1897881

>>1897831
>Hey if you went out of your way to buy a ntsc tv,
Not needed, most CRT TV's after 1998 are NTSC compatible.
So yes, I have a NTSC TV.
>games,
I have Bare knuckle, Sonic 1, 2 in JP carts. EUR/Genesis carts are identical.
All mega drive carts are identical and not region locked before Sonic 3 came out.
Even then that can be circumvented with language/hz switch.
> voltage converter,
Not needed, I have official european Mega Drive power adapter.

So, yes.
>most don't
Most do though.

>>1897832
I was gonna switch mod it for language. So I woudl have PAL ENGLISH mega drive and then NTSC with US/JP language switch,
I was planning to get Sega CD and cheapest would be just get american one. They are region locked as are some newer games so I would have had all encompassing region mastery.

>>1897836
So the problem with PAL mega drive witch switch to flick to 60hz is that the oscillators do not clock color signal right, so Svid/Composite/RF go black and white because missing color signal. There is mods for this but getting RGB cable is the simpler method for combatting this problem.

>>1897841
Well the reason for 2switch way goes first to my sudden change in plans.

>>1897859
Or just ordering EURSCART RGB plugging it to my EURSCART TV and be done. No convertors needed.

I still did fuck up though.

>> No.1897923

>>1897881
>combatting

lol

I thought JP MD also haddifferent wirings for multi out?

>> No.1897936

>>1897923
Poor choice of wording, rectify or whatever.

No, output is actually exact same on all MD1/genesis1 models, EXCEPT for two particular french model 1's that were specifically RGB models that packed with their own RGB cables. In these they had only sync and no composite video out at all.
The site I ordered a RGB cable from actually defines this and they have option to make a RGB cable compatible with those models as well.

The difference between JP/EUR is actually on TV end, - how you wire the 21pin end. That difference is not drastic, you can get just simple converters for that if you fuck up a simple choice question but that is not in MD end.

The one good thing is that at least my MD is still ASIAN one so JP cartridges go in fine and I do not need to to anything to fuck up the slot. Well, I would have had to remove the cartridge lock system but that was already removed by guy who I got the mega drives from.
The JP one was also soldered to work as PAL model before I undid this mod myself.

>> No.1897956

>>1897841

Oh, that's a pretty neat idea, Anon!

>> No.1897974

>>1897841
one thing putting things back of the case is steering the wires so they do not go accross the cartridge slot or even touch it, and you have wire long enough.
Also that hole still needs to be made more larger depending on kind of switch you get.

>> No.1898013

>>1897826
Jap MD's play everything, for real?

>> No.1898051
File: 494 KB, 1600x900, DSC_0582.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1898013
Yes, if you remove the cartridge lock system as their cartridge slot is shaped so.

EVERY mega drive playes everything except for later region locked games - like my example, Sonic 3. For this you can just do the switch mod as the region lock is completely based on detecting the hz/lang mode of the mega drive.

I have PAL and JP carts around, they all play on both my JAP and PAL ASIA mega drives. there is no security chips or anything like that revolved with sega hardware before saturn.

EA exploited this like jews as their european releases were just the exact same genesis cartridges as they sold in USA. with the case saying "genesis" and all. I have one of these carts too.

Master System EUR/USA were exact same devices aside PAL/NTSC mode. The cartridges are same, even the cases. So any Master System game plays on any Master system. Even the Japanese one, I think.

So for Genesis/Eur Mega drive you need to grind the slot shape to fit JP carts or for JP/PAL ASIA models you need to remove cartridge lock and most stuff plays. Add switches/switch to switch it between different regions and then everything plays.
Region lock also applies to sega/mega CD and I think - maybe, only maybe, to 32x