[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 101 KB, 640x904, Sonic 1 Genesis J Box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1895536 No.1895536[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Let's have a thread on the original Sonic the Hedgehog.

What are you your thoughts?

I had the original on Genesis but I'm replaying it now on for the 3DS Sega Classics version. It incredible how good the transition is. M2 really did a fantastic job bringing the game over to a portable system, with the 3D effect being pretty awesome.

As for the actual game; it's a much slower and more methodical game than I remembered. Current Sonic seems obsessed with speed and nothing else. This is much more in tune with platforming sensibilities of the time then it's given credit for. In this I'd forgotten that enemies are pretty much everywhere, leaving you vulnerable to attacks and death at any chance. It's almost unforgivably cheap, at least until you learn the levels.

I know it's cheating a bit but I'm actually using save states to complete the game. I set a save state at the beginning of each level and then try to play the level perfect, with no hits and rings lost. I'm definitely enjoying this structure, as it allows me to set up a checkpoint system to my own liking.

I think the Japanese scoring system is better. It's nice getting extra lives for collecting 50,000 points. It gives the player more incentive to kill enemies and try to perfect a level.

What are your thoughts on this classic? Does it hold up? Did you play it on release?

I played it on the Genesis when I was younger but I don't think I was ever careful about my play style. I'd just try to shoot through the levels without paying much attention to traps and enemy placement.

It's still got an absolutely killer soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57_3rUBGxmw&index=46&list=PL58380F3FEB88A7FD

Anyways, get in here and share some love for the original Sonic games!

>> No.1895542

ITT autism and furries

>> No.1895543

How in the world can you not love the tagline?

"Don't just sit there and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, do it right away. Do it when you can. It's the only way to live a life without regrets."

Sega, the most optimistic game company.

>> No.1895548

>>1895542

Go back to /v/ with that shit. Why not actually try to contribute something.

I mentioned game design and game play.

What are your thoughts on this difficulty of the game?

>> No.1895553

>>1895548
Seems artificial

>> No.1895576

>>1895548
>What are your thoughts on this difficulty of the game?

Not him, but with Sonic you just make your own difficulty. The first one in particular has an outstanding replay value, and it doesn't drag on like the second. 6 stages are all I need.

But

>It's almost unforgivably cheap, at least until you learn the levels.
>I know it's cheating a bit but I'm actually using save states to complete the game.
>It's nice getting extra lives for collecting 50,000 points.

You make Sonic really sad because he's apparently too cool for you.

>> No.1895594

>>1895576

You just said you make your own difficulty. Lol.

It's an enjoyable game.

I enjoy the music in Sonic 2 more but I agree that it does go on for a bit too long.

>> No.1895620

>>1895594
>You just said you make your own difficulty. Lol.

As in you make the game difficult by doing self-imposed (some times masochistic) challenges, like speedruns or perfect runs. Not going full savestate babby modo. If you don't get what you want that's on you, and you can just start commit suicide or start clear. You may call it autism, but that's what the game is. You could do this with any other game, but Sonic is just more fun and wired towards arcadey repetition. That's what I like about it and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

>> No.1895631

I first played sonic 1 during the sonic 2 boom.
personally I don't feel the level layouts are equal in quality.
here's the maps:
http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Level_Maps

my zone opinions:
-green hill is a nice introduction to sonic, and has alt paths for replayability.
-suddenly the game switches to being extremely linear and slow with marble zone.
-spring yard brings back the speed and alt paths. its alright.
-gameplay slows back down with labyrinth zone. very few alt paths.
-star light zone has speed and alt paths out the ass, but feels like it lacks some detail.
-scrap brain feels more like slow work, but at least it has some alt paths.

never noticed the pattern till now actually

>> No.1895654

The special stages are a load of goddamn bullshit.

I'd take almost any other games stages over this pinball shit.

>> No.1895658

>>1895654
>not liking pinball

>> No.1895670
File: 400 KB, 488x519, I swear it's decaf.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1895576
>Needing to use save states

CASUAL ALERT

>> No.1895674

>>1895670
Did you even read the OP?

>> No.1895679

This is how I had to play it back in the day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXGAzruMkSg
Course, I didn't know any better back then.

>> No.1895680
File: 720 KB, 360x420, 1409194756856.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1895674
Shit, my bad, I was working on a paper and just happened to glance at the thread. Here, have Classic Sonic.

>> No.1895681

I can easily say that this is probably the only sonic game that is worth playing over and over again.

I have a sheer respect for the sequels, but in the end those eventually became rather dull in terms of gameplay. Sonic one puts enough emphasis on exploration and speed in it's gameplay. While sure there is a pattern like >>1895631 described but in the end that's the same pattern that made me want to play the whole game again.

Sure, there could have been a lot that could have been done better but in the end I found myself enjoying sonic 1 better than the others.

>> No.1895694

>>1895681
That's exactly how I feel. While no classic Sonic game ever lets me down, people dismiss the first one without putting too much thought. It's solid as a rock and the lack of speed dashing made the game more satisfying to "break" using your only two tools, slope spinning and well timed jumps.

>> No.1895697

I remember being blown away by the game the first time I saw it running. It's hard to get a feel for what a huge leap forward it felt like as a NES owning kid. So slick, and fast, and colourful. To this day I still consider Green Hill Zone to be one of the most beautiful places in gaming.

Here in Britland Sonic came out shortly before Mario 3 got released. I was so hyped up for SMB3 but I remember walking in to Toys R Us, seeing Sonic running on a demo machine, and knowing right there and then that my poor NES was over. Done.

I know what I consider to be the better game today, but back then getting my hands on Mario 3 and just knowing it wasn't THAT game rather soured the experience.

>> No.1895745

Sonic 1 is really slow paced in comparison to others. The spindash move made everything faster, but I don't see this as a negative thing. I like both styles. The romhack Sonic Megamix, although has the spindash, demands you to platform too.

>> No.1895923

>>1895536
Loved this as a kid but I don't like it anymore as with any other platformer.

>> No.1895965
File: 83 KB, 212x300, Sonicdebut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I will never forget the first time I turned on my brand new Genesis and saw Sonic 1's Green Hill Zone for the first time.
The music, the colors, the smoothness and speed, it blew my mind as a kid, and I already had a SNES (actually got both consoles the same year, I was a lucky idort kid). but a friend of mine convinced me to get a Genesis because of Sonic, and even though I had never seen any Sonic footage before, and only saw pictures in magazines, I kept wondering how playing Sonic would be, and it turned out to be one of my most enjoyed games from childhood.

Also, Sonic 1 is the only game where I could get all the chao emeralds when I was a kid.

>>1895536
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57_3rUBGxmw&index=46&list=PL58380F3FEB88A7FD

Damn that is amazing, demo tracks by Masato Nakamura? Why have I never heard this before. In fact I like Nakamura's Sonic 1 and 2 OSTs over all the other Sonic OSTs, even though they're all pretty good too, Sonic 1 and 2 are 2 of my favorite OSTs in vidya in general.

>> No.1896004

>>1895536
They added the spin dash in the 3DS version as well. When I first played Sonic 1 I was going from 3D Sonic to 2D (my first Sonic game was Adventure) so I found it ridiculously difficult at first, and I couldn't even make it past Marble Zone. I can beat the game easily now. I also never really found Labyrinth Zone that hard like so many people do. You just have to be patient. Also as much as I love the original Sonic those special stages are a bitch, never been able to get more than 5 emeralds.

>> No.1896079

>>1896004
Sonic 1 also got spindash on the Sonic Jam collection on Saturn

>> No.1896082
File: 1.43 MB, 1498x1342, 24578948.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i enjoy it but i hate that Marble Zone is the 2nd level.

something off about it that makes me want to stop playing right after Green Hill.

anyone feel the same way?

>> No.1896084

>>1896082

No, Marble Zone is GOAT zone

>> No.1896086
File: 28 KB, 253x246, 1350744310971.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1896084
i'm not talking about Marble Garden

>> No.1896095

>>1896086

I know, this is a Sonic 1 thread. I was talking about Marble Zone.

Marble Garden kind of sucks, actually.

>> No.1896107 [SPOILER] 
File: 522 KB, 855x591, 1409276326272.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1896095
you know what

i can't argue that, the music is really good though

>> No.1896508

Sonic was never about being fast, it was about manipulating physics.

This is by far the best video I've seen on the subject
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW-nMRZGpgA

>> No.1896853

>>1896508

The guy makes a lot of really solid points.

The original game is slow. I think Sonic 3 is when they really started to try to incorporate speed into the series though.

I still think it worked at that point . 3 was fast, but it was fluid. It felt good.

>> No.1896858

>>1895543
I had never noticed this, and I own the Jp version. I have a newfound love for it

>> No.1896867

>>1895536
>it allows me to set up a checkpoint system to my own liking
This undermines the most important aspect of game design: pacing and difficulty curve building.

You're doing yourself a major disservice. Cheating is not a thing, as it's a single-player game. The problem is that playing with save states like that is like re-editing a movie you haven't even seen yet in order to try and improve its pacing: yes, some movies need editing, but you can only tell after you're intimately familiar with the script, and even then you will have ot be a professional moviemaker in most cases; otherwise you'll just make a great movie bad and a bad movie even worse.

>> No.1896929

>>1896858

Sonic 2, CD, 3 and I think Knuckles too all had these sort of engrish positive lines.

>> No.1896939

My first experience with the Genesis was watching Altered Beast and Sonic 2 on some random neighbor's house when I was growing up in NY. I don't know how long after it was that we actually got one but it was a Genesis 2 with the pack-in Sonic 2. I played the shit out of it and possibly Sonic 3 before my next door neighbor let me borrow his Sonic 1 copy. I was jarred by the lack of spindash but understood that it was an earlier Sonic that didn't have it.

Basically, the game was difficult as fuck and I hated the lack of spindash. I don't think I even got past Marble Zone. That level is still a bitch to this day if you're not careful. It's crazy how fast the difficult increases if you're used to playing Sonic 2 or later style (gotta go fast). You really have to be careful while still going fast. Whereas in Sonic 2 it's a lot of gotta-go-fast with sprinkles of "holy shit that's annoying gotta remember that so I don't do it again".

I appreciate the game a lot more now as an adult and do enjoy it. I also enjoy the special stages second most with Sonic 3&K's being the best. I was super happy that they used the same style in Sonic 4E1.

The only thing I have to really complain about the game is that Scrap Brain Zone seems like they were running out of time and they were like "fuck it it's good enough". The art is shit, the layout is shit, the final boss is shit. It's just really discouraging to get through an entire bad ass game and the final level is hohum.

Anyway, that's my input on Sonic 1.

>> No.1897315
File: 132 KB, 640x536, 50164_back.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1896929
>look up CD
Ask not what others can do for you, but what you can do for others. -Sonic

what the fuck ???

>> No.1897317

>>1895536
sanek is bes hegehg