[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 151 KB, 1920x1080, e6d237f9-96ce-42b7-8145-265581da2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1888927 No.1888927[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Back when they were new did anyone you know own a Saturn, Game Gear, or Dreamcast?

>> No.1888930

>>1888927
I did.Why?

>> No.1888934

>>1888927
>game gear
no
>saturn
yes
>dreamcast
i had one

>> No.1888935

>>1888927

Yes, I even knew a guy who had a Nomad back in the day.

>> No.1888943

No, this is Playstation country

>> No.1888951

Nope, not a single one.

In fact I'm not sure I ever even knew the Saturn existed.

>> No.1888953

I was a Saturn kid.

It wasn't bad since I could always play shmups like Darius with my friends.

>> No.1888958

I didn't know anybody with a Saturn, but my cousin had a Game Gear and quite a few people I knew had a Dreamcast.

>> No.1888965

>>1888953
The Saturn is my all time favorite console, but I can't imagine owning one as a kid was great. You really need an income and access to import games to make the most of it.

>> No.1888971

Cousin had gamegear.
Bitch only had winter games on that thing. Shit was weak.

Never wanted one after trying that garbage.

>> No.1888974
File: 333 KB, 550x415, evangelion seca.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Nope. First time I even ever heard of sega saturn was watching evangelion back in the day.

>> No.1888978

>>1888974
As for the others, my friend had a gamegear and it blew my fucking mind in comparison to the original gameboy. And everyone knew about dreamcast

>> No.1888982

My cousin had a nomad, it was the first time I ever played a Sonic game. Having only played Gameboy at the time I was blown away by it. My friend had a Saturn. For the longest time I thought there was a really rad 3D Sonic game on it until I found out later it was a tiny little bonus section in a compilation.

>> No.1888989

>>1888927
Where I lived(Netherlands) it was about 80% Playstation or PC. I had never even played a Saturn or Dreamcast until I got both recently, and stores at the time only stocked a few games for them either in 1998 or 2000. The Dreamcast was known and talked about,(it looked fucking incredible compared to my N64) but most people were waiting on the Playstation 2 instead.

In fact, I knew only one guy who owned an N64 apart from me, and in the case of Gamecube(excuse the no retro) I was about the only one.

>> No.1888990
File: 29 KB, 285x400, GGShinobi-GG-US-Front-medium.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yes
Dreamcast and Game Gear. The latter was gold on car trips.

>> No.1888991

Never owned a Saturn. My first girlfriend had one though, but she only owned Sonic 3D Blast, Christmas Nights, and Magic Knight Rayearth.

I bought one of the Majesco Game Gear re-releases in 2000 but never owned one the first go around. Only owned Sonic, Power Rangers, and X-Men.

Bought my Dreamcast on 9/9/99. Tons of games for it, glad I still have all of it available. First system I bought with my own money so it holds a special place in my heart. The hype train for that thing was unbelievable, getting that sucker home was like shooting a load I've been storing for over a year.

>> No.1888994

>>1888927
I owned a Saturn and Dreamcast

I can say, Everyone should get a saturn emulator and play Some of those games, Panzer Dragoon, Earthworm jim 2. I still feel with the controller (the smaller one that resembled a 6 button genesis controller) It is the Definitive way to play earthworm jim 2. Which is one of the best 2D games I've ever played.

Hands down, I remember Dreeamcast the most for Powerstone and Toy Commander, I presonally loved it. And Capcom are idiots for only using the powerstone I.P. to Make a psp collection of the games. They could easily make a badass 3D fighter today with the playstyle of powerstone.

Both great consoles in my opinion. way overpriced looking back.

>> No.1888995

My friend (more of a friend of a friend) in grade school had a GameGear with Sonic 1. I never physically saw it but he was always bragging about how cool it was.

>> No.1889007

>>1888994
>way overpriced looking back.

That was only the Saturn.

>> No.1889009

My cousin Gabriel, who introduced me to gaming in the SNES era, owned a Saturn, Game Gear, and Dreamcast.

....I owned a PlayStation

>> No.1889013

Nope. Never even saw one of any of them except for Dreamcast in the shops...very briefly.

>> No.1889027

Most of the people I knew went the Master System -> Genesis -> PS1/GBC -> every Sony console way

>> No.1889034

I knew a rich kid in my town who got a 64, PS, SNES, gaming PC at the time, Dreamcast and Game Gear. At least.
Haven't see him in years, we drifted apart after middle school. I kinda miss him, I remember talking over the phone after some Pokemon episodes aired. He's one of the few people I'd call now a bro.

>> No.1889037

>>1888994

You mean everyone should buy a Saturn.

>> No.1889041

1 who had a Game Gear (my Middle School History teacher), 3 who had a Saturn (me, my neighbor, and a friend of a friend), and a fuckton of people who had a Dreamcast (mostly because piracy was easy as hell).

>> No.1889045

I knew loads of people who bought DCs when it first came out, and a couple here and there who had Game Gears when I was a kid.

Never touched a Saturn outside of a store display until 1998 or so, though.

>> No.1889057

I had a Saturn when Nights came out. Liked it but never had many games for it until I got a modchip a few years ago and could play cd-rs.

>> No.1889067

i don't know if more people had a gamegear or a dreamcast, but I know very few had a saturn.

>> No.1889072

yes all of them.

i got to play the dreamcast (mostly soulcaliber), game gear (friend brought it to school several times, battery died quickly), and another friend had saturn. but i didn't really care too much being a nintendo fan.

Also had a friend that had a 3DO. We played that all the time.

>> No.1889075

I remember having friends that were a bit older than me, and they sold their 64 and everything for a dreamcast. At the time my little kid brain couldn't comprehend that.

>> No.1889105

My cousin had a saturn . I would play Sonic Jam all day. It was the high point of my summer... ;-;

>> No.1889140

>>1888927
Every day Im becoming more and more convinced that this board is mostly populated by 14 year old retro gaming experts

>> No.1889160
File: 131 KB, 664x495, 1373022812030.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ITT OP is American
Outside of America SEGA did really well you know.

>> No.1889180

Bought a game gear as my first handheld console ever. A year or so later I also got a Game Boy, aprox 1994.

Saturn, I got in 1996, with Nights. I already had the PS1 and the N64, but I still wanted Sega's new sexy machine.

Dreamcast I bought it in 2001, a bit late. By the end of the same year I got the Gamecube too, and I only got a PS2 many years later.

>> No.1889191

Yes, Me.

>> No.1889206

>>1889160
So well that it died ;^)
Look like America is way more important than you think, eurofriend

>> No.1889220

>>1889037
Nah, SSF can play most games just fine.

>> No.1889248

>>1889206
God bless America ( ^ :

>> No.1889249

>>1888927
>game gear
No one I know owned one of these, but shit I always wanted one. The color screen was incredible to me as a kid used to the DMG gameboy.

I actually had a friend who had a nomad (very spoiled rich kid type). I was infinitely jealous of that thing, but my parents wouldn't buy me one, understandably.

>Saturn
My next door neighbor (also from a pretty wealthy family) got one of these when it came out. I thought it was incredible at the time, Bug! was the first 3d game I ever played.

Oddly enough I didn't know anyone with a ps1 back then. We were all still playing Genesis and SNES games until the n64 hit. That was wildly popular in our area, everyone and their brother had an n64. As I got older I got a ps1 and so did a few of my friends, but nobody else ever got a Saturn.

>dreamcast
I didn't know a single person with one of these.

>> No.1889258

>>1888927

I owned a Genesis and a Dreamcast when they were new and still on the market.
Never got a Game Gear till they were around for a while (right after GBC came out) and I didn't get a Saturn till 2 years ago, realized how badly it lacked AAA games and sold it off last year.

>> No.1889261

Um... me.

Because they were far and away better than the competition, in my view.

>> No.1889274

>Game Gear
My cousin had it. Never played it though because it always didn't have any batteries.

>Saturn
I knew a kid who had it when it first came out. I was five years old. Played it once and never saw it again. Because of this I was always aware that the Saturn was the "other" system.

>Dreamcast
Ironically didn't know anyone with one.

>> No.1889287

Cute girl down the street from me had a Saturn. I used to go over there and she would beat me in Virtua Fighter 2 a lot.

She probably has three kids and thinks video games are for children now

>> No.1889307

>>1888927
>game gear
Yes but I only had like 5 games for it. I was really a waste.

I gave up on sega after the genesis because all their consoles were too expensive and the dreamcast only lasted 2 years. I got a dreamcast later in life.

>> No.1889316

>>1888927
>Game Gear
I had 2
>Saturn
No
>Dreamcast
Owned one

>> No.1889320

>Saturn

Never heard about it until 2008 or so.

>Game Gear

Some lady who worked at my Mom's workplace's son had one and let me play it when I went there. All I remember is playing X-Men and the batteries always dying.

>Dreamcast

Yeah, launch day from my Mom. I beat Sonic Adventure and nothing else looked worthy of buying at the time so I returned it to Walmart or whatever.

>> No.1889321

Yeah, all of them. For some reason Saturn just seemed to be popular in my area. I had one, quite a few of my friends had them too. Then we all moved on to Dreamcast.

>> No.1889326

>>1888927
I never had any of the three new, but a friend had a Saturn, another had a Game Gear, and my brother and another friend each got Dreamcasts when they were new.

>> No.1889331

>Saturn
No, but I was aware that Sega had an N64/PS1 equivalent

>Game Gear
Yes

>Dreamcast
Yes

>> No.1889346

>Saturn
No.

>Game Gear
I had one. I regret it.

>Dreamcast

I had two friends that had it

>> No.1889483

>>1889160
Sega was never successful in more than one markets besides the Genesis/Mega Drive in the NA/Eurofriend markets

>> No.1889502

>>1888927
sega saturn had internet multiplayer in 1994 or 96

>> No.1889527

>>1888927

My older bro bought a Dreamcast, I was just a kid but loved Sanic, MvC2, powerstone, Shenmue.

Pretty disappointed when I heard Sega left the console biz.

>> No.1889531

>>1889160

Well, Genesis (Mega Drive) did really well in Eurostan, but Saturns best market was Japan and Dreamcast America IIRC.

>> No.1889535

>Saturn
Nope, didn't even know they existed. The local video store had two big rows of PS games and one small row of 64 games. That was it. I didn't have the money to buy games then, only rent them. Besides, I'm pretty sure the Saturn was DOA here in Australia anyway.

>Game Gear
Ditto.

>Dreamcast
Friend had one and swore it was the next big thing. Most people I knew were hanging out for the PS2 but he said the Dreamcast was so good that it didn't matter. Hilarious in hindsight.

>> No.1889676

>>1889535
the dreamcast was that good, but the world refused to acknowledge it.

>> No.1889695

>>1888927
Yes. I was plugged into gaming during those years and knew people who owned each at launch. I personally bought a Dreamcast on 9/9/99

>> No.1889701

>>1889220
Please do not troll.

>> No.1889707

>>1889140
Change the age to 20 year olds and you are correct. They mean well most of the time, but they need to get it through their head that many of us on here actually did own and play the "obscure" systems.

Video bloggers and other johnny-come-laters that have profited off the scene like to make corny jokes along the lines "lulz nobody ever knew about this fairly common game cuz who owned a saturn sega scuks amirite?!" have not helped at all.

>> No.1889737

>>1889535
>Besides, I'm pretty sure the Saturn was DOA here in Australia anyway.
Underage please.

Sega Rally was huge here. There are a lot of racing enthusiasts in Australia. It singlehandedly kept Saturn alive until 1997.

>> No.1889887

I didn't even know the Saturn was a thing until I stumbled upon one at a Goodwill (back when they still sold good stuff in their stores)
I didn't have the money to buy it, and I thought it was stupid when I later found out that the cartridge slot on the back wasn't compatible with Genesis games. What a blown opportunity!

And now I own a Saturn that I modded myself and it's fantastic.

>> No.1889915

>>1888927
My friend's brother had a Game Gear, and my bro got a Dreamcast when they came out. The Saturn though, was some kind of mythical beast that I wasn't sure actually existed. I never saw one in real life until about 3 years ago.

>> No.1889957

>>1888927
I have a lot of friends who had lots of and one of them even started a development company so I knew someone who had just about everything. But I can't recall ever seeing a Saturn at the time.

>> No.1889959

>>1888927
Saturn: me, my cousin, three friends
Gamegear: several friends
Dreamcast: just me. but by this time none of my friends played games.

Now people act like Saturn was this mythical unknown system but in reality it was a viable choice between it and Playstation, at least early on. The online Saturn communities were pretty great back then too.

>> No.1889960

>>1888965
>need an income

Are you retarded? The games are overpriced because people like you are buying them off eBay to make up for the fact you didn't own a Saturn in its day.

>> No.1889972
File: 69 KB, 452x458, 1CzWvVk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Saturn-yes. Game Gear-no. Dreamcast-yes.

>> No.1889982

I had a Game Gear.

Everybody knew about the DC, and I knew a few people that had one.

The Saturn is really the only one that didn't get a lot of attention, but even then, I remember playing it in stores.

>> No.1890259

>>1889701
Not trolling, I actually tested all games on it at a few points. Compatibility is between 80-90%.

>> No.1890272

Nope. I had an N64 and a PS1 back in 1998/1999 (no exactly when they came out, but meh). I never knew about the Sega Saturn until way after I became to take video games more seriously and start doing research about consoles in general.

It doesn't look bad at all, but I feel that it lacks must play titles. I'd love to play some games for it, though, sucks that there's no good emulators out there.

>> No.1890276
File: 63 KB, 320x224, guardianheroes-6.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1890272

Forgot pic related. This is what I want to try.

>> No.1890284

My sister got the Game Gear because I already had a Gameboy and she got a Saturn when I got a PlayStation.

My oldest sister's boyfriend imported a Dreamcast and I was all about it when it was came out. I ended up getting a PS2 for Christmas the next year but wanted the Dreamcast. Lucky for me the price dropped like crazy in time for my birthday 9 months later so I got one.

>> No.1890286

When i was a wee lad my dad bought me a Saturn for XMAS instead of a N64 or a PSX. We had a videogame store near us called Microplay which was run by nerds who convinced my dad that the Sega Saturn was cutting edge. I hated it as a kid. I was the only one of my friends who had one and was totally unfamiliar with the library of games. I of course never told my dad and I tried so hard to like it anyway. I played mostly virtua cop, virtua fighter, mortal kombat, Hexen, sonic 3d blast, clockwork knight, (which for some reason gave me the heebie jeebies) and a few others that I rented.

I regret the fact that I didn't try to appreciate it more, but I was a kid and it was 1996/97 and I wanted a playstation or an n64 just like my friends had. I think I even rented Nights and barely played it because it was over my head and nobody I knew ever even heard of it. I eventually got pokemon for my gameboy and forgot about my saturn. I think we even threw it out years later which is insane because I wish I had one again.

>> No.1890343

Never seen a Saturn in person. Owned a game gear when it came out, and I had a dreamcast but don't remember how I got it. Dreamcast is one of the best consoles I've played.

>> No.1890348

>>1890276
This game is good but feels a little empty when playing on single player.

>> No.1890363

Not everyone here is american and never seen most of consoles or pcs.

>> No.1890586

My friend had a Dreamcast, I ended up getting into Sonic because of it and bought SA DX for the Gamecube. There was this other game we played which used a pistol controller but I can't remember for the life of me what it was called.

>> No.1890602

i had all 3 when they were in their prime. saturn and dreamcast are 2 of my favorite home consoles to this day.

>> No.1890624

Bought a Dreamcast for $50 brand new in 2001 when the console was basically all but dead. Kicking myself in the ass for not buying more and holding on to them.

>> No.1890627

before the playstation became popular, in europe the main man was sega, so where i lived there were lots of sega machines, beeing the most popular the megadrive and the saturn.

>> No.1890632

In my primary school, some kid at school brought in a Game Gear on the last day of term when we could bring in a toy.

I knew one guy in secondary school who had a Dreamcast while everyone else was waiting for PS2, or holding out for the next Nintendo console.

If it wasn't for gaming magazine coverage, I'd have never known the Saturn even existed when it was new. Along with the 32X, Mega CD, it was lost in the gulf of Playstation/N64 hype in my area, even though the Mega Drive was beloved by many.

>> No.1890645

I had GG and DC back in the day, but I don't know anyone other irl who would have had either of them.

>> No.1890656

A friend of the family had a Game Gear, I think. Never met ANYONE withay other SEGA or even fucking Atari consoles. The Nintendomination was stronk in the south during the 90s

>> No.1890764
File: 13 KB, 464x285, whak.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1889960
I've never overpaid for a Saturn game on ebay you dunce. I was referring to how you needed to import to play 90% of the Saturn's best games, and import shops at the time charged a lot.

Clearly you have a chip on your shoulder about ebay prices, but that has nothing to do with the discussion at hand you blithering vagina.

>> No.1891056
File: 138 KB, 800x600, dreamcastorgy (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1888927
I still have mine,.

>> No.1891141

>>1888927
My neighbour had a Saturn, I had a N64 and a friend who lived nearby had a PS1. Good times.

>> No.1891157

I owned a GG when it was new and I loved it.

My best friend as a kid got the saturn when it was new and I played it with him a lot.

Never owned a dreamcast.

>> No.1891180

I asked for a PlayStation one Christmas and got it instead, and was grateful. As a kid The console still exists but unfortunately all my games went in a flood a couple years back. Had, Virtua cop 2, Virtua fighter 1 and 2, RE, Quake, a few shitty sports games and a flight sim I Never remembered the name of.

You were in a space ship and the first mission you had to dock your ship in a bigger ship, the levels were set out as worlds labeled 1, 2 etc. While I'm here does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

another funny thing that happened was the memory died and as a dumb kid I never released it was a simple watch type battery until this board started and someone had a similar problem.

>> No.1891213 [DELETED] 
File: 2.40 MB, 975x552, subtle.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This thread isn't going anywhere fast, so I'm off. If you need anything from this design, you can reach me at hairpasta@hotmail.com. Here's a download for all the webm's I did:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/lj7bml925isrr2d/logo.zip

>> No.1891248

I remember being 10 and staring at a Dreamcast at walmart, wanting one really badly.

>> No.1891264

>>1891180
Crap I meant to say I got a Saturn instead. durr.

>> No.1891280

>>1891180
>a flight sim I Never remembered the name of.

Wing Arms? There were maybe two flight sims on the machine and this was one.

>> No.1891289

>>1891280
>>1891180
oh nevermind it had a spaceship not a normal aviation fighter.

I'm thinking either Darklight Conflict or Starfighter 3000 then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvCAviiQawI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Esvsyg7rc

>> No.1893284

Sega was a thing on my country until Saturn, so yes. Majority had a Mega Drive2 but few had a snes, some had master system as some had the nes, very few people had gg because cells but 99,9999% had a fucking GB, some had the Saturn but when FF7 GT and Tekken3 almost everyone started buying a PSX. N64 was fucking rare to someone to own it and the games were pretty expensive. I always had a classmate or friend with one of these things,so we would often borrow games or consoles to each other.
Dreamcast was the point few had it, I was one of them and i don't regret. It was funny how classmates would come to my place and play Shenmue or Soul Calibur and be amazed by the graphics, or how JSR and PStone 2 were so fun. Some of them actually bought the Dreamcast because of that or how Metropolis Street Racer was a very god cars game.
Oh, I owned the MS, MDII, Saturn and DC. Also, kids would play on the arcades, so games like Virtua Fighter, Daytona USA, Virtua Cop and later Virtua Tennis were Sega games people knew about.

>> No.1893467

>>1888927
Owned all 3 when they were new. No one I knew had a GG, knew 3 people who had Saturns and 4 who had DCs.
For comparison's sake I knew about at least 7 people who owned PS1s and even more that owned Mega Drives.

>> No.1893476

>>1889531
AFAIK Saturn wasn't exactly beating the Playstation but it did okay in some European countries

>> No.1893494

I knew someone with a Dreamcast that only played sporting games, so I wasn't ever too hype about the thing until I got my own. Strangely enough I wasn't even aware of the Game Gear and Saturn until 2003. What was the advertising campaign for those things even like in America? Seems like they were pretty brushed over.

>> No.1893519

>>1888927
>game gear
til the DS & PSP I never owned a handheld
>saturn
yes, but I bought it off a friend after he owned it for sometime
>dreamcast
yes, it's a launch day system purchased by the same friend and acquired for half the cost less than a month later

>> No.1893536

>>1888927
I was visiting a gaming center that owned a Dreamcast to play it or watch someone else play it in 2002-2003 (don't remember the exact year), does it count?

>> No.1893557

>>1888927
Yes, me for all of those.

>> No.1893561

>>1893494
I remember some of the sega saturn commercials. The ones with the screaming head or whatever. They were weird. Always screaming "SEGA". That's about all I remember.

>> No.1893579

>>1888927
The comments here are hilarious, now everyone have one of those!,
I grew up in the 80's, was a teenager in the 90's, and in all my School and High school years only 5 guys and me have a saturn, everyone else have a playstation, no one ever have a game gear, the rich boys have gameboy's and all the rest of the plebs have tiger games!
The market has so niche no wonder why those system failed miserably.

>> No.1893593

My older brother's friend had a dreamcast. They used to play Power Stone on it all the time

>> No.1893615

My babysitter had a genesis when I was 5, and myself and my sister both had game gears though we never had that many games for them.
I never saw anyone with a saturn, and I only just bought one recently.

>> No.1893730

I had a saturn, didn't know anyone else who had one though.

I only had 4 games on it for the whole time that we had it, but looking at what games they were - Dragon Force, Shining Force 3, Crypt Killer and super puzzle fighter 2 turbo - i had a shit ton of fun playing it.

>> No.1893753

>>1888927
I owned a Game Gear but only had like four games (Sonic 1 and 2, Spider-Man and Pac-Man).

>> No.1893802

>>1888927
Born in 1982 here and yes. I got a Game Gear for Christmas instead of a Game Boy. My one friend and my uncle had Saturns. I got my Dreamcast on 9/9/99 along with four of my high school friends.

>> No.1893814
File: 209 KB, 1320x986, keeping the dream alive 2012.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I trash picked a Sega Nomad when it was new, someone left it on the top with shaq-fu in it. I purchased a Dreamcast at launch.

>> No.1893823

lots of people i knew had gamegears and dreamcasts, but nobody had a saturn

>> No.1893831

>>1888927
I actually bought a Sega Saturn and Dreamcast back when they were still being sold new. Still own the original boxes for both. Unfortunately, never had the chance to own a Genesis.

>> No.1894475
File: 2.44 MB, 3240x2400, Sega-CD-Model1-Set.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Same question as OP, except for Sega CD. I recently eBay'd it, and I'm digging the non-FMV games so far.

>> No.1895857

Best part of the dreamcast was getting the games online. I had a shitload of games imports and all. I miss those days

>> No.1895858

>>1895857
Thanks for killing Sega.

>> No.1897910

>>1889531
The SEGA Master System outsold the NET in smart lands like Europe, also the Genesis (MegaDrive) did the same with the SNES. The Saturn and Dreamcast were a completely failure in stupid lands like Europe

>> No.1897915

>>1897910
>NET
*NES, my bad

>> No.1899953

>Game Gear
No
>Saturn
No
>Dreamcast
Yes

Favorite games:
>Illbleed
>Street Fighter III: Third Strike
>Crazy Taxi
>Marvel vs. Capcom 2
>Kikaioh/Tech Romancer

>> No.1900825

Saturn - Yes
Dreamcast - Yes

Fav Saturn Game: Lunacy

(Insanely priced locally - tg for Sat emulator - Lunacy works!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=5VP2bLN0iV4

>> No.1901889

>>1888927
I owned a DC when it was new.

>> No.1902040
File: 947 KB, 1936x1487, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1888927
>Game Gear
Yes
>Saturn
Yes
>Dreamcast
Yes

I bought each one new. I still have them.

>> No.1902101

>Saturn
Yeah, but eventually he sold it for a Playstation. wise move
>Game Gear
nope
>Dreamcast
I bought one for £50 when it was just about to die out.. Around 2000-2001 or so

>> No.1902115

Man, Sega has so many good properties, and had nice machines and everything. I swear to God Sega has the shittiest marketing and management teams of all time or something.

>> No.1902495

>>1902115
They had a pretty good marketing team in the US during the Genesis era but most of that team left Sega around the time Saturn came out. They also had a good marketing team for pre-Dreamcast.

>> No.1903149

>>1902115
They couldn't decide whether to be a Japanese or American company. Observers like to take sides and blame the other one completely, but that's childish. The reality was that they'd still be alive if only they'd made their choice and stuck with it no matter what.

>> No.1903219

>>1902495
>They had a pretty good marketing team in the US during the Genesis era but most of that team left Sega around the time Saturn came out.

They were fired actually. They did too good of a job: the executives in Japan (who were losing an uphill battle against Nintendo domination in Japan) were non-stop told by the CEO "why can't you be as successful as the Americans are?". At which point they become jealous as hell and tried either sabotaging Sega of America, shooting down any initiative they did on their own, and taking direct control over the american operations and driving it into the ground.

If Sega of Japan weren't know-it-all jerks, we could've had a cd based Sega Ultra 64, using the N64 chipset, joint produced with Sony. Or just a successful Saturn launch. Or even Sonic Xtreme getting finished by 96 xmas.

When they decided to give free reign to SOA a generation later, with Peter Moore at the helm, it was already too late. Sega was out of money and didn't have the marketing money to counter the PS2 hype, despite the Dreamcast breaking several sales records in the USA. Sega died a year and a half later.

>> No.1903240

>>1903149
>Observers like to take sides and blame the other one completely, but that's childish.
Yeah, see, I was waiting for this guy to show up, who always does:
>>1903219

like fucking clockwork

>> No.1903358

>>1903149
>>1903240
It's not a question of observers picking sides - the only time EVER, when Sega was successful in the home console market, was when Kalinske was leading SOA.

SOJ was only ever good in the arcades.

>> No.1903795

>>1903358
Your problem, as always, is you extrapolate way too much from what SOA was able to do with that one console. They marketed the shit out of it the way Westerners liked to be marketed to. That is the sum total of SOA's proven success.

And then you go ahead and use that to fabricate nonsensical alternate realities like this:
>If Sega of Japan weren't know-it-all jerks, we could've had a cd based Sega Ultra 64, using the N64 chipset, joint produced with Sony.

I wish you'd started using a tripcode long ago so it would be easier to keep track of your insanity. Currently it's a pain to search for "moore" "kalinske" "stolar" and "japan" whenever I feel like a laugh.

>> No.1903931

>>1903795
Hello Nakayama-san

>> No.1904293

Would the dreamcast have sold better if the controller wasn't weird as fuck?

>> No.1904305

>>1888927

>Sega Saturn.

Yeah. A neighbor kid owned a Sega Saturn. Back in 1995-96, I really wanted a Sega Saturn since it was becoming increasingly obvious that Genesis products were slowly coming to a trickle, but mother just wouldn't relent for Christmas. Back when I was 6-8 years old, I was incredibly vulnerable to Sega's in-your-face attitude and style when it came to their advertisements. However, it would be about eight whole years before I would ever play NiGHTS: Into Dreams.

>Game Gear
These were far more ubiquitous. There were more Game Boys out there, but there was enough Game Gears out there to count as well. They seem to have been the preferred model for kids who spent a lot of time travelling in back seats, granted if they had a Cigarette outlet adapter. My cousins from both sides of my family all had one.

>Dreamcast.
I owned one. Got it for Christmas in 1999. My cousins ended up getting theirs as well. I didn't know of any in my same 5th grade class who had a Dreamcast.

>> No.1904306

>>1904293

The Dreamcast would have sold better if it had just two things:

1. A way to play DVD's.

2. EA-developed games.

That console would have lasted until 2005 if it had those things.

>> No.1904307
File: 57 KB, 500x700, 162.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1888927
I owned a Dreamcast when it was brand new. Played the shit out of Sonic Adventures, Crazy Taxi, House Of The Dead II, Hydro Thunder and Ready 2 Rumble Boxing.

>> No.1904349

My next door neighbors when I was a kid had all of the sega consoles.
I used to go over all the time to play sanic, daytona usa, skies of arcadia, and whatnot.

I wonder if they still have those.

>> No.1904358

Saturn was my first console and within a year after my parents got it sega started giving up on it. Still have it and bust it out every so often. I need to get the 4 in 1 Cart so I can see what the buzz on the japanese games are all about.
The battery/expansion bay on the back of them also makes a good place to hide weed.

>> No.1904538

>>1903795
>They marketed the shit out of it the way Westerners liked to be marketed to. That is the sum total of SOA's proven success.

Half of all Megadrives was sold in the USA, and the decisions made by Kalinske helped it sold a lot more in Europe as well (bundling Sonic1-2 with the machine was considered legendary over here).
The Saturn, which was Segas most popular console in Japan (even was the best selling machine in japan for a year!), sold nearly nothing elsewhere, they ceded all other territories to sony/nintendo, and this lack of market ultimately killed them.
Many of the decisions that doomed the Saturn came straight from SOJ despite Kalinskes disapproval, such as early launch that backfired spectacularly

These are all facts, you can go and look up the numbers if you think it is made up bullshit. I mean, if all of this is made up bullshit, then how would you explain the Saturn failing so hard in North America?

>And then you go ahead and use that to fabricate nonsensical alternate realities like this:

Kalinske mentioned numerous times in interviews that Sony was right next door to them and they helped them a lot in the Sega CD days (if you look up the service manuals, you can see that Sony was one of the manufacturers of the Sega CD 2). They had the idea of doing a joint console together, with shared losses and profits, and SOJ turned it down because they thought Sony cannot into videogames. We all know how that worked out a few years later.

The SGI guys also came to Sega about a console chipset they were doing, and Sega of Japan shot that down as well. This chipset later became the N64.

Go and check some of the interviews with Kalinske.

>> No.1904549

>>1904538
>These are all facts, you can go and look up the numbers if you think it is made up bullshit.

I never said that. I said that the kook who keeps posting SOA cheerleading posts extrapolates far, far, far too much from what little information he has gathered from (a) Kalinske's own words and (b) assumption.

The one FACT is that SOA succeeded ONLY in marketing the fuck out of the Genesis. Again, that is ALL they have ever accomplished. And so the conspiracy theories about Sega's subsequent failures are all to be believed because of that? Now that is bullshit.

>Kalinske mentioned numerous times in interviews
yeah
hehe

>Go and check some of the interviews with Kalinske.
hehehe

>> No.1904581

>>1904549
>The one FACT is that SOA succeeded ONLY in marketing the fuck out of the Genesis.

They broke Nintendos complete market monopoly and grabbed 60% of the market in two years, and that was despite the SNES hype going in full swing.

Now you tell me what Sega of Japan EVER accomplished, on the home console market. Because other than Segata Sanshiro burying the N64 under copies of Virtua Fighter 2 and Grandia, they accomplished fuck all in the 18 years they were on the market.

>> No.1904613

>>1904581
You seem confused into thinking I'm downplaying that accomplishment or building up any of SOJ's. I'm not.

I'm simply saying that Mr. SOA Anon up there tries, at every opportunity and with tiring hyperbole, to portray every bit of the "legend" of Sega's downfall as known fact. Do you know what that shows me? It shows bias that precludes thoughtful discussion. One-sided propaganda. Unrelated facts that prove nothing to anyone except those willing to make the required leaps over the gaps in logic and evidence. "The Genesis sold while the MD didn't, therefore the failures of Sega CD, Saturn, and Dreamcast are all on SOJ's heads because how else could they fail?" Bullshit, I'm not sold in the least.

Do you want to know what is more interesting than all those interviews Kalinske likes to give about his days at SOA? It's the critical responses to those interviews. We haven't heard from anyone at SOJ about these things. We may never hear from them. But why are we so ready to tattoo Kalinke's words on our foreheads and preach them as gospel? Should anything in life be so easily digested and regurgitated as what one exec has to say about an entire series of events that involve far more people than himself? No, I'll abstain from that nonsense.

What we know with absolute certainty about SOA:
- SOA took the Mega Drive and turned it into a phenomenal hit in the West.
- Nothing else. Not whispers of alliances, not rumors of the rationale behind canceled projects, nothing...and I've read them all. We simply do not KNOW these things.

I look forward to the day when we know much more than we do now.

I guess it's a few responses too late to say that I admire Tom Kalinske greatly for what he did to promote Sega here in my youth. I've seen him at the ballpark before. BUT...I wouldn't exactly trust everything he has to say when he's just so damned willing to say it and the other side isn't.

>> No.1904702

>>1904613
>It's the critical responses to those interviews. We haven't heard from anyone at SOJ about these things. We may never hear from them.

There are scarcely anyone at SOJ right now who was also there back then. They are pretty much a different company; beyond finding those people in Japan and conducting an interview (time zone differences, translators, etc), a lot of their execs were very old at the time and might not even be alive now.

There's an upcoming book about the Mega Drives history which may shed some more light on events, however (currently in preproduction). Apparently Sega opened the vaults for them and the book includes lot of technical artwork and pre-production plans as well, so it could reveal some things we don't know yet, or confirm others we do know.

>- Nothing else. Not whispers of alliances, not rumors of the rationale behind canceled projects, nothing...and I've read them all. We simply do not KNOW these things.

Except we do.
Sega and Nvidia working together was confirmed from so many sources, including a guy who was programming the Nvidia NV1.
SOA checking out the SGI hardware that later became the N64, that was also confirmed from multiple interviews too, including Joe Miller.
Sega and Sony working together - we have official documents citing that Sony was building Sega CD IIs, not to mention that they also released many games to the machine (look up Sony Imagesoft). Going from there to making a console together is not a stretch of imagination at any point.

I'm not saying that SOA under Kalinske were some kind of ineffable superhuman who could make no mistakes, but Sega had the most success in the home console market in their entire history under their helm. Given that Sega was marginalized to the sidelines just a few years later in the Saturn era, one could only wonder that things could have gone much better if they had more control over how things go.

>> No.1904738

>>1904702
>Going from there to making a console together is not a stretch of imagination at any point.
No, that's literally what it is.

>> No.1904793

>>1904738
>Sony is already building hardware for Sega
>Sony is already writing/publishing software for Sega
>it is a stretch of imagination that they might collaborate on a machine together
>even though they already are

fucking wow.

>> No.1904879

>>1888927
Owned all of them when they were new at one point. Even the Genesis. Never the CD or Master System.

>> No.1905716

>>1904702
>There are scarcely anyone at SOJ right now who was also there back then. They are pretty much a different company; beyond finding those people in Japan and conducting an interview (time zone differences, translators, etc), a lot of their execs were very old at the time and might not even be alive now.
And none of those (time zones...give me a fucking break already dude) are excuses to believe everything Kalinske says at face value. This is crazy.

>Except we do.
Like I said, I've read through all of that. I don't have to "look up" anything you mention. What NOBODY can do is make leaps of imagination as to the rationale behind anything that did or didn't happen. There are unbridgeable gaps between "SOJ rejected the Nvidia partnership" and "those Japanese know-it-alls were so butthurt over being shown up by SOA" and "Dreamcast would have succeeded." SOA Anon has to give it a rest with the bullshit; it's been months on this board and it got old a long time ago.

>>1904793
That was far from the kind of unique partnership that would naturally result in co-production of a new platform.

>> No.1905765

>>1888927
>saturn
no, but I've briefly played one in a mall when it came out
>game gear
my girlfriend had one
>dreamcast
a friend had one

>> No.1905826

>>1888927
I knew quite a few people who owned a Game Gear back then. I had the shitty lynx at the time and ended up trading it in.

I never owned a Saturn and didn't know of anyone that owned a Saturn. All I remember is the Sony Playstation was the big thing and before that the 3do. (yeah I knew people who had 3do)

And Dreamcast, Yep I owned one as well as a lot of my friends.

>> No.1905831

>>1905716
How about you support your claim with facts then? I'm not saying that as a sort of insult I just want to hear what info you got.

>> No.1905843

>>1905831
What claim do you want me to support? Name it.

>> No.1905861

>>1905716
>This is crazy.

So are you saying that Kalinske is a liar?

Yes time zones can be an issue, for something like a phone interview for example. Sure, you could use email, except that the people in question are retired old Japanese people who may not have heard of email ever since they retired into the countryside. But hey, since you know all about these potential hiccups, why don't you show us all the interviews you conducted with Japanese developers?

>That was far from the kind of unique partnership that would naturally result in co-production of a new platform.

Why is it completely unimaginable to you, that during the years the two worked together, one guy might get a brainwave and ask "hey, we want to make a game platform - you make game consoles - why not make a joint platform and split things 50/50"? Which then gets submitted as an official proposal, and then gets shut down by the upper execs.

The big, incredible giant leap in imagination you cannot comprehend here is basically two words: "WHAT IF".

What if SOJ saw merit in the plan and went with it?
What if SOJ liked the SGI chipset?
What if SOJ didn't tell SOA to launch the Saturn early?

We wouldn't know exactly what happened, only that things could have gone much differently. You know, like maybe Sega wouldn't have ended up digging their own fucking grave.

>> No.1905869

>>1888927
My sister had a Game Gear. She never had very many games for it, though.

Never knew anyone with a Saturn (though I did know one or two with a Genesis). IIRC, one of the guys I lived with in college had a Dreamcast, but he left it at home. I wish I'd had one myself, but at the time I couldn't justify getting a new console so soon after getting a N64.

>> No.1905872

>>1905716
>SOA Anon has to give it a rest with the bullshit; it's been months on this board and it got old a long time ago.

SOA made the Genesis a giant success in an uphill battle, made the Dreamcast a huge craze (that was cut short due to lack of funds), even managed to get tons of western developers on board the Sega CD Fail Train.

SOJ drove all their consoles into the fucking ground between 1983 to 2001, single short exception being the Saturn, in Japan only, for a brief period, while it was losing miserably worldwide.

I think SOA might have known a tiny little bit more about the home console market, but feel free to prove otherwise.

>> No.1905893

>>1905872
>made the Dreamcast a huge craze (that was cut short due to lack of funds)
It was more that the PS2 came along, and everyone just assumed right then and there that the Dreamcast was dead.

>> No.1905953

>>1905861
>So are you saying that Kalinske is a liar?
No, I'm saying more input is needed because the only thing we've heard is what he has to say, and the nutty SOA Anon does nothing but post obsessive drivel based on it.

>Yes time zones can be an issue...
Sweet mercy, it's a joke that you're even pressing on this point. Makes me suspect something about your identity.

>But hey, since you know all about these potential hiccups, why don't you show us all the interviews you conducted with Japanese developers?
Are you literally Ken Horowitz or something?

I am saying we need to hear more, and I will defend that point forever no matter how easily you are appeased with one side of the story. I have said nothing about having more info than anyone else does, I'm saying the facts we have now are insufficient, definitely not enough for anyone like you to take every opportunity you get on this board to push the pro-SOA legends like they are confirmed facts. You preach the same thing over and over, going so far as demonizing the very SOJ execs and branches who have said absolutely nothing in their own defense. This suffices for YOU and nobody else searching for historical facts with a critical eye.

Here is the pro-SOA cheerleading of a gullible extremist:
http://www.sega-16.com/2005/02/tom-kalinske-american-samurai/

And the very first reply in this thread is what any respectable journalist would have concerned himself with before putting a single word to print:
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?8096-Tom-Kalinske-American-Samurai

I'm not as easily sold on single-sided stories as you are. Whereas things are cut and dry for you (such that you can imagine that you're inside the brains of SOJ execs and feel comfortable putting words in their mouths), they are not for me.

>> No.1905958

>>1905861
>Why is it completely unimaginable to you
It isn't unimaginable. It also isn't a foregone conclusion.

>The big, incredible giant leap in imagination you cannot comprehend here is basically two words: "WHAT IF".
Masturbation over hypotehticals is driving you so blind you're willing to believe anything and everything that was in the realm of possibility, and you're pinning the FACT that they didn't happen on SOJ. You don't see how tiresome it is to read things like this from you all the time?

>>1905872
>SOA made the Genesis a giant success in an uphill battle,
Undeniable and already addressed.

>made the Dreamcast a huge craze (that was cut short due to lack of funds),
Whoa whoa whoa, initial sales were good, but if you were anywhere near the video game industry at the time, you would remember that it was not thanks to anything other than Japanese launch titles that made it so attractive. SOA was already in a hazened limbo during that time, all they did for launch was the 9.9.99 campaign. DC-era SOA was already well into their decline.

>even managed to get tons of western developers on board the Sega CD Fail Train.
loooooooooooooooooooool

Yeah, proud moment getting FMV smash hits like "Kriss Kross Wears Clothing Backwards Just For You" published.

>SOJ drove all their consoles into the fucking ground between 1983 to 2001, single short exception being the Saturn, in Japan only, for a brief period, while it was losing miserably worldwide.
Also undeniable and addressed.

>I think SOA might have known a tiny little bit more about the home console market, but feel free to prove otherwise.
"Prove?" You want proof of something I don't believe?

What we can do with these facts is play guessing games and make assumptions. What we can't do with them is put words in other people's mouths and thoughts in other people's heads.

I think you are confused about my criticism of SOA Anon's posts.

>> No.1906040

I had a Game Gear as a kid. As many others can attest to, it ate batteries like candy. My parents bought a power adapter so I can play without having racking up a battery bill (they were expensive back then).
I never had a lot of games for it either. Retailers in NYC were just assholes about pricing vidya. Games were expensive, and nothing got a price drop, ever, even if the game tanked in reviews. Buying used wasn't much better since Funcoland marked the prices back up close to new.
The TV tuner was an object of lust that was always just out of reach. The $100+ asking price was just unreasonable for a kid, but the idea of a portable TV was just amazing for the time.
Eventually, I just gave up on the thing and moved on to PC gaming. The quality of the experience was just better if you had the box for it.

>> No.1906063

>>1888927
My friend got a Dreamcast for his birthday in 2000. Seeing Sonic Adventure for the first time blew my fucking PS1 playing mind. I thought it was the best looking game ever. Cut to a year later and I have my PS2 with Tekken Tag and my mind is blown away again. I think lots of 6th gen games had that effect especially if you're used to PS1 graphics.

>> No.1906352

>>1905843
All of them please. I like reading info from both sides of the spectrum.

>> No.1906364

>>1906352
Identify them first.

>> No.1906810

I never had a Game Gear but I had the other two. I was the only one, though.

Did someone actually delete my fucking DC anniversary thread?