[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 234 KB, 1506x1200, fallout1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1870421 No.1870421[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I really like Fallout, but one of my complaints with it is that at the end of the day, it's still just an RPG -- for all the fun I have with the gameplay, I already know what's coming around every corner and how to handle it. I was wondering if there's any other retro games like it that focus on combat and gameplay, perhaps something similar to Fallout Tactics with a CPU opponent for skirmishes. Something I can hop into and play in short bursts rather than starting up a new campaign every time I want a go at it.

Does /vr/ have any suggestions for me? Someone said Icewind Dale might be what I want, but maybe there's some other stuff I missed. I'm looking mainly for something where I can build and customize characters/squads with a little more depth than X-COM.

>> No.1870441

jagged alliance

>> No.1870560

>>1870441
This is literally the only other thing.

Some brave /vr/ anon showed me the wonders of a mech version of Xcom, but I haven't played it yet. I guess you can customize both the pilots of the mech, and the mechs themselves.
http://www.squakenet.com/download/missionforce-cyberstorm/10681/

>> No.1870573

>>1870560
I've played JA2, but haven't done 1 yet, so I'll probably go back and give it a try. Your post looks pretty great too.

I'm a big fan of character building and all that, but unlike a lot of retro games, most RPG style games don't let you jump right into the thick of things.

>> No.1870983

uh... Wasteland? Y'know, where Fallout actually got most of its ideas? You might even try Wasteland2 even if its not retro

>> No.1871204

Age of Decadence
UnderRail
Silent Storm

>> No.1871216

>>1870421
They really should make a Fallout Roguelike...

>> No.1871258

>>1870573
JA isn't really about character building, it's more about the pre-existing cast of characters, who are full of personality and memorable lines. There's no create-a-merc like in JA2.

Anyway, if you liked JA2 that doesn't mean that you'll like JA1.

JA1 is a solid game, but in terms of combat mechanics is nowhere near JA2, and not even close to X-COM1. However, for ME, what made JA1 entertaining were the plethora of humorous characters and my growing attachment to them. I took a bunch of nerds (Tex, Speck, etc) and made them into the deadliest assassins on the planet. Some may say that all the "joke" characters in JA1 are pointless, but I would definitely have to disagree. They provide a balance to the cast in terms of abilities and cost-of-hiring - they just HAPPEN to have humorous personalities. Can you imagine someone you can hire for $20 a day to have the stoic personality and intimidating image of Clint Eastwood, but with the combat abilities of Peewee Herman? THAT would be a TRUE joke character.

Another big difference between JA1 and JA2 is that you have to make do with what you find in JA1. You see this piece of pipe metal? It's the most precious thing in the game - it allows you to upgrade your weapons (not from a shotgun to an M16, but from a shotgun to a better shotgun). So it's a pretty big deal each time you find a new, improved weapon. Make sure you learn the hotkeys (especially for the map, because you can see items on the map)

>> No.1873589
File: 5 KB, 493x402, 1408449425429.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1870560
>Missionforce: Cyberstorm

Not OP, but damn this one looks relevant to my interests. Thanks for the rec, anon

>> No.1874109

>>1870421
Try roguelikes.