[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 306 KB, 1200x900, final-fantasy-8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1862115 No.1862115[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Post a video game that you think suffered from being born in the wrong era.

I've talked a good deal of shit about FFVIII in my time, and some of it was deserved. I never hated the game, and it grows on me a little bit each time I play it. I've always said that despite its flaws it's one of the better-looking and better-realized worlds in a Final Fantasy game. I love prerendered backgrounds but I think it did this game a disservice and it would have done much better in that regard on a later system.

As one of the few fans of the latest entries in the Final Fantasy series, I can say their worlds share a lot of similarities, and I think the creators were recreating a lot of what they couldn't do before with the limitations of the time. Having been conceived before voice acting was more common in video games (let alone that period where there was little to no direction for the actors and so the dialogue just came out silly), it was inevitable that a lot of their ideas would be lost in translation.

I wouldn't say I'd like to see a remake, and the game still has a lot of fundamental flaws that have nothing to do with technological limitations, but I have to admire their ambition to a degree.

>> No.1862216

System Shock 1 was ahead of it's time and still is ahead in some areas. I oplayed it a year ago for the first time and I was amazed by it's mechanics and physics. There were some parts that reminded me of Portal 2.

>> No.1862227
File: 38 KB, 720x538, Squall-spoony.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1862115
FFVIII was crap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1njLpZDfUCQ

>> No.1862274

>>1862216
Most elements from SS1 were already in Ultma Underworld 1. Shit like enemy hearing range that served no practical purpose. UW is definitely a poster child of being ahead of its time but I don't think that's the type of game op had in mind. It sounds more like games with wasted potential.

>> No.1862284
File: 12 KB, 204x245, trespasser.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i was pretty young when i played it, but i remember liking it. i thought it was just supposed to be really hard since some of the puzzles(if thats what you want to call them) were un-intuitive and awkward to complete, as well as being buggy as hell. i didn't really think about how games could have so many technical problems thus making them unplayable. it was pretty cool that it had the actor who played john hammond do some narration which gave some back story to Site B. It had so much potential, but i think its failure put the final nail in the coffin for the dinosaur survival/adventure genre.

i think im gonna look for a torrent of it or something.

>> No.1862362

>>1862274
Not wasted potential so much as potential that couldn't function or be appreciated in its own era, and maybe would have succeeded had it come out ten years later.

>> No.1864824

>>1862115
I often think of VIII to X as III was to V. Different stories, different atmosphere, but many mechanics are the same only to be given new or better-implemented features later.

X has many parts of VIII's systems and a very similar method of storytelling. Junctioning on characters is replaced with a more fleshed out version of the junk yard into full customization, but the GF system was expanded to being a central part of the plot and with a much better use of Aeons; instead of having them be passive and only used as summon spells, you can full-on use Aeons in battle as actual characters. A few characters work the same way too or have the same personalities. Hell, Kimahri works the same way as Quistis in battle exactly except he uses a spear instead of a whip.

>> No.1864854

>>1864824
>Hell, Kimahri works the same way as Quistis in battle exactly except he uses a spear instead of a whip.

I'll give you that for in-battle but nothing else.

>> No.1864904

>>1862115
Sure, but the problem now is that making literally everything 3D and having VAs for every single character, down to NPCs, takes up so much budget that you end up with half-realized linear messes like FFX and especially FFXIII, or the game will take literally a decade to develop, like FFXV.

If they were to recreate something like FFVII or FFVIII in full 3D with full VAs, it would cost hundreds of millions and take a decade or more to develop. Unless you just go the WRPG route and make a glitchy mess and let fans fix it themselves later...

In the other hand, if they sort of did an HD version of FFVIII, with maybe iOS level graphics and still 3D backgrounds with VAs only in main plot events, then spent the rest of the budget fixing the game's flaws (I have been and always will be an FFVIII fan, but I can still admit that it's flawed), I think they'd have something potentially great on their hands.

The only issue THEN would be that it'd end up as an iOS or android game...

Personally, I like it how it is.

That said, I feel that it's ahead of it's time simply because it gives you total control over stat growth and skill learning for the first time in a major release and I also enjoyed how experimental it is.

>> No.1865223
File: 20 KB, 256x223, vampires.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW2hlnG3A6Q

>> No.1865242

>>1864904
>FFVII or FFVIII in full 3D with full VAs, it would cost hundreds of millions and take a decade or more to develop
No, it wouldn't. You're completely exaggerating the cost and development time for modern games. The vast majority of games don't cost more than 100 million to make.
>a decade or more to develop
I'm sorry, but this is just a really stupid thing to say.

>> No.1865268
File: 122 KB, 788x1080, Shadowrun_-_1994_-_Sega.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When will developers realize that open world shadowrun is the only way to go?

>> No.1866628

>>1865223
Illusion of Gaia was my shit

>> No.1866660

>>1864824
>X has many parts of VIII's systems and a very similar method of storytelling.
b8, x is 99.9% cutscenes, 8 had exploration, scripted events, minigames, diaries, etc

>> No.1866821

>>1866660
You're penalized for exploring, they clearly wanted you to play it like X.

>> No.1866869

Ff8 was a commercial success and sold several million copies

Doesnt something need to be unsuccessful to be ahead of its time

>> No.1867080

Everyone in my family hated FF8. I couldn't take it seriously up until I started playing it last month. Once I mastered the junctioning system, my only beef with the game would be the awkward character development of Squall.

>> No.1867993

>>1867080
my problem with it is junctioning ruins the game
i can turn a GF card into a ga level spell within the first 2 hours of the game and put it on my hp or str and beast the whole thing

>> No.1868027

I thought the first SMT game was way ahead of its time.

>> No.1868219

>>1866869
What? Of course not. "Ahead of its time" just means it has prototypical elements of things that followed.

Besides that, every numbered FF game sells a bajillion copies. FF7 was hugely successful; the only reason my brother bought 8 was because he liked 7 so much. He was pretty pissed later.

>> No.1868264

>>1862115
Squall a cute.

>> No.1868265
File: 23 KB, 200x275, Formula One Built To Win (U) [!].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This fucker here is a racing game for the NES that has the player starting out with a Mini that can be upgraded by buying better parts for it or by changing it to a better car. In order to get certain upgrades and/or aforementioned better cars player has to obtain licenses by winning certain races. Sound familiar yet? Yup, this game more or less did everything that made Gran Turismo one of the best selling games ever in 1997 in 1990. Shame that only about 3 people have played it or even know about it...

>> No.1868319

>>1866628
I wish more video games included a free T-shirt. I like how Illusion of Gaia and Soul Blazer had just a finite amount of enemies. It makes exploring less annoying and back tracking less wasteful.

>> No.1868323
File: 26 KB, 256x178, actraiser2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Both of them but I like Actraiser 2 better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkExWD02Y9U

>> No.1868356

Midwinter II was absurdly ambitious for its time, but the technology wasn't there yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUpWOc0SZAo

It's first person, the environments are 3D and you can freely roam around and use vehicles like planes, helicopters, tanks and jeeps and even underwater vehicles. You build your own character and the campaign also involves strategic planning of some sort.

Hunter is very similiar (land, air and sea vehicles in a large 3D world), except it's third person and the graphics are better. Better playability too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA3pTA2DNhc

>> No.1868419

>>1862227

FF8 was crap man but don't post that Spoony faggot all you're doing is hurting you're own point

>> No.1868570

>>1868219
I don-t understand if you don't like 8 you shouldn't like 7 either as it was inferior in every conceivable way