[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 93 KB, 450x249, Final_Fantasy_V_Box_JAP.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1859314 No.1859314 [Reply] [Original]

What does /v/ think of final fantasy V? I got into it recently and I'm half way through the game and I'm loving it. I might actually like this better than 6 or 7

>> No.1859331

It's my favourite FF

>> No.1859339

in japan it's more popular than 4 and 6

>> No.1859351

I appreciate and loved playing it in Anthologies back in the day. It refines the jobs system in III, and seems storywise to be a reaction to IV's melodrama, even mocking it. IV is my favorite, but I can take the joke.

THe characters are lovely, too, especially Galuf and Faris.

>> No.1859354

Just finished FF3 so I'm pretty pumped to play this after I recharge for a bit.

How exactly does job switching work? Is there any kind of penalty? Is the game structured a bit better so you don't have to mindlessly grind for three hours every time you switch jobs in order to catch up?

>> No.1859368

>>1859354
once you level up a job you gain an ability that you can use. For example if i level up my white mage class on a character and gained the ability to use white magic i can switch to a monk and use my white mage ability which is white1 in battle. Wish you can have more than 1 ability but that would probably make the game too easy

>> No.1859378

>>1859368
Sounds similar to equipping magicite in FF6

>> No.1859425

bump

>> No.1859517

It's my favorite. People make fun of how simple the story is but I say it actually helps it more. I love JRPG that just try to tell a simple fun story. And simple=/=stupid. It just told in a uncomplicated way so you always understand the motives and reasons behind everything.

Also the Job System is handle beautifully. Where there's a ton of different classes but all of them are different and each serve a solid role.
>>1859378
It's a bit different since switch Job Classes radically change how the character preform in battle. While Magicite is mostly used to learn spells and gain extra point in a stat upon leveling.

>> No.1859535

FFV has my favorite class/character customization system of any FF game.

There's not much else to it, the story, setting and characters are pretty cliche even for Final Fantasy, but the class system always leaves me coming back for another play.

>> No.1859542

>>1859535
While I agree with the cliche I do enjoy that about V. It doesn't take itself too seriously. It's just a fun story is easy to identify characters and plot. And while some people might not like it I found it enjoyable in how they did it.

>> No.1859543

I'm not incredibly fond of it. The story and the characters are flat as pancakes and the class system, while interesting, is basically wasted on a game this easy and straightforward.

Of course, the latter is a criticism that can be applied to many FFs, but they generally have something else going for them.

That said it's not terrible, unlike some of Square's later offerings.

>> No.1859575
File: 1.22 MB, 1394x1059, 1402961397338.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Next to VI, V is my favorite FF. It's such a breath of fresh air, especially if you played the darker entries of the series first. It has such a fun, upbeat tone that no other FF captures IX tried, but ultimately failed IMO. It also has one of the twists in the series, which is handled much better than the twist in VII, and hits you much harder. The villains, while one dimensional, are extremely entertaining. Gilgamesh is the best comic relief villain of the series and is the biggest bro. And Exdeath, while being essentially a Saturday-morning cartoon villain, is still very menacing and gets shit done.

As for gameplay, the Job System in V is utterly fantastic, there isn't much more to say about it. It's balanced, fun and lets you plan out and customize your characters for an optimal team.

I wish they could make something as fun as V again, something that doesn't rely on anime to draw in fans. But we'll never get it, FF is dead.

>> No.1859606

>>1859314
>/v/

I don't know, why don't you ask them

>> No.1859608

>>1859606
force of habbit

>> No.1859620

>>1859575
>IX tried but failed IMO

Shame that your opinion is wrong.

>> No.1859627

I didn't really enjoy it much.

>> No.1859631
File: 35 KB, 784x211, final fantasy 5 bartz.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

FFV had the best gameplay and it had a bunch of kickass scenes.

People say that the storyline and the characters were flat, but what this means that the storyline didn't take place in some post-apocalyptic wasteland with everyone having some dark angsty secret past and is wearing three leather belts minimum.
No, you are the hero and your job is to save the fucking world, and that's that - go play the fucking game. And that doesn't stop it from having a ton of emotional scenes - everything with Gilgamesh, most everything with Galuf, Syldra, Hiryu, Bartz' hometown, Faris's origin, etc.

Your goal is to have fun. That's all there is to it, really.

>> No.1859648

>>1859631
I say it's flat because it's fucking flat. It's not interesting at all.
The only scene that comes close to being emotional is Galuf's death, which quickly turns to eye-rolling when a minute later the annoying little girl magically transforms into him sans beard.

>> No.1859649

I've never played Final Fantasy V but now I'm interested. Which version do you guys suggest I play?

>> No.1859650

>>1859354
>How exactly does job switching work? Is there any kind of penalty?

When you level up a job, you gain a certain skill. You can then set that skill to your character in any other job. For ex. you can get a Knight who can self-heal like a Monk, or a mage who can equip shields, or a dancer who can cast magic.

This doesn't sound too exciting but keep in mind that all jobs radically change your strengths and weaknesses. So certain skills can either offset your weaknesses or further push your strengths. Like, learn Red Magic and give it to your Black mage - you'll have a black mage who can also heal and resurrect you. Or get a monks +30%HP skill and give it to a Knight, who will then be able to protect all allies for extremely long periods. Or give any magic to Dancers (who can't cast anything but have the best magic stats iirc). Or get the Hunters X-fight skill and give it to ninjas to be able to hit 8 times a row. Or give the Ninjas two-hand skill to a Knight and give him two badass swords. Or give a monks bare-handed skill to... anyone who you can't equip properly with a weapon, and they'll turn into wrecking machines.

The major trick in the long run is that Freelancers (your "jobless" state) will automatically get all buffs and passive skills from any job you MASTER (max out). So Freelancers start awful, but get ultra powerful once you master enough things.
This is important because Freelancers can pick 2 skills, not just one - AND they can equip everything.

>> No.1859652

>>1859649
SNES

>> No.1859659

>>1859649
>>1859652

GBA has more content and a better translation.

And if sound is really so important to you in a JRPG, you can just patch the GBA version.

>> No.1859661

If you're emulating and using fast forward be sure to run from most battles rather than spamming ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK.
The way these games are set up it's perfectly possible to beat it just by healing with potions and only attacking with the more overpowered class combinations, but that completely breaks all the fun. Try experimenting instead, and try beating Omega Weapon without any guides.

>> No.1859669

>>1859354
>Is the game structured a bit better so you don't have to mindlessly grind for three hours every time you switch jobs in order to catch up?

The game is structured in a way so you can either mindlessly grind, or figure out weaknesses of every monster and switch your jobs accordingly. There are shit loads of combinations and even the hidden extra bosses (who can hit you 5 times while you take a turn) can be killed with chemist potions and such. You can kill completely invulnerable enemies by finding a skill that works on them, or a magic that works on them, or some setup that allows you to cause them to have their defences broken. There are some endgame-level enemies you can kill 1/3rd into the game with the Control kill, even.

You can of course grind up too, but it takes a long while to really godmode your characters, and you'll only get the best magic/equipment late in the game anyway.

>> No.1859681

>>1859648
Would you think it was more interesting if they were a bunch of rebels fighting an evil empire in the grim dark lands?

And the main character was amnesiac with a shady past that involves a huge secret project?

>>1859661
>If you're emulating and using fast forward be sure to run from most battles rather than spamming ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK.

NEVER run from any battle in FFV. The strongest weapon in the game, the Brave Blade, becomes weaker the more battles you run away from. It's also a sword, so you can give it an elemental charge, which can unleash pure rape against enemies who have an elemental weakness but impenetrable magical defences (you can kill the strongest hidden boss in 2 turns that way).

The alternative is the Chicken Knife which gets stronger the more you run away, but it's not as powerful and it randomly makes you run away from battles.

The GBA version does give you a better sword in the extra dungeon, but that extra dungeon is kind of godawful.

>> No.1859684

>>1859681
Oh, didn't know that. It's been years since I last played it.

>> No.1859686

>>1859659
where can i get a patch? i tried romhack and applied the patch and the game wont even start

>> No.1859741

>>1859681
All you have is strawmen.
I'd think it was more interesting if the characters and plot provoked even the slightest bit of emotional investment.

>> No.1859750

>>1859314
I enjoyed the gameplay systems more than most FFs, didn't really care much about anything else in the game. The void was kind of neat though.

It makes me upset that so many later entries in FF don't let you have the freedom you do in 5. I know they want to keep character mechanics tied to their personalities, but they could've actually let you put some thought into how you construct them.

>> No.1859781

>>1859686
If I remember correctly, the sound restoration patch only works with the EUR version of the game.

>> No.1859804

>>1859741
>I'd think it was more interesting if the characters and plot provoked even the slightest bit of emotional investment.

You mean like when King Tycoon was lost, or when Syldra died, or the scene with Hiryuu, or the return to castle Tycoon once you uncovered the truth about Faris, or Galuf raiding Exdeaths castle and the Battle of the Big Bridge, or Gilgamesh's last stand, or any/all scenes in Bartz' hometown...

There are plenty of emotional parts in the game. It just doesn't force any of them on you in stupid as fuck "go here, press button, then go here, press button" storyline scenes. Oh and in all those extra scenes you also get extra loot as well.

>> No.1859816

It's certainly better than VI.

>> No.1859827

I've just started playing the game in Japanese to practice my reading skills. And because I've heard a lot about the job system and wanted to play the game for a while.

I agree with the other anon about the story being flat/boring. It's probably because I don't pick up on a lot of the nuances in Japanese that give the story any depth or emotion. That said, I really like the job system, but the whole 1 AP per battle thing is pretty annoying. I know in the last area or something you can get 20-30 AP per battle, but it's still kind of annoying (mostly because I'm impatient I suppose).

>> No.1859843

>>1859804
>You mean like when King Tycoon was lost, or when Syldra died, or the scene with Hiryuu, or the return to castle Tycoon once you uncovered the truth about Faris, or Galuf raiding Exdeaths castle and the Battle of the Big Bridge, or Gilgamesh's last stand, or any/all scenes in Bartz' hometown...
None of those had any emotional impact on me, because I didn't care about any of the characters.

>Oh and in all those extra scenes you also get extra loot as well.
And that's the only reason I bothered with them.

>> No.1859852

>>1859750
>The void was kind of neat though.

Mirage Town was goddamn creepy.

>>1859843
>None of those had any emotional impact on me, because I didn't care about any of the characters.

And none of the scenes in FF6/7 had any emotional impact on me, other than "GET ON WITH IT".

>> No.1859919

>>1859781
just tried it out and it worked. thanks

>> No.1859934

>>1859681
>The alternative is the Chicken Knife which gets stronger the more you run away, but it's not as powerful and it randomly makes you run away from battles.
I prefer the Chicken Knife because it means you can run. And you can bypass the running be combining it with !Dance and I think things like !Aim.

>> No.1859940

>>1859535
I felt the same way about it. There's nothing spectacular about the story in FFV, but the level of customization is awesome.

>> No.1859941

>>1859934
Real men do not run from a battle.

>> No.1859958

>>1859941
IDC

Besides, three fourths of your party is made up of the opposite sex by the end of the game.

>> No.1859965

>>1859958
>three fourths of your party is made up of the opposite sex by the end of the game.

Yeah, but I'm sure they'll have a little bit of Bartz in them by the end of the game.

>> No.1860046

>>1859314
I find FFI-IV a bit stale, but get a decent generic adventure feel from V, it's better than its predecessors IMPO.

>> No.1860076
File: 247 KB, 1000x625, 98676987.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1859314
FF V is easily one of my favorites. and imo one of the few that has truly aged gracefully.
sure, the plot is nothing special. but I always felt like the game was more about the adventure and exploration, rather than trying to present an epic story with over the top melodramatic moments. kinda like the DQ games.
and yeah, I don't think it's possible to dislike that job system. it's the thing that makes everyone come back for more. it just never gets old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc8naAXMrPM

>> No.1860094

>>1859314
I really should get back into this game, I dropped it for some reason despite loving it. I might have got distracted by another game. The job system is so damn satisfying to use.

>> No.1860365

Don't know what it is about this game I have a great time playing it but not once have I finished it. I get so far and then seem to forget about it, then go back and try to finish it. But this time ill knuckle down and do it.

>> No.1860370

FFV easily my favorite Final Fantasy game, with FFVII in second. It's the one I replay the most, the one I have the most fun with, and Galuf is a total badass.

>> No.1861029 [DELETED] 

Wasn't there a retranslation (or, rather, a translation edit) of FF5 SNES recently? Should I give that a run-through? I don't really like the GBA version's colors.

>> No.1861154
File: 355 KB, 1280x1024, final-fantasy-fonds-cran-square-enix-ocean-design-pixel_363144.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1859620
It had it really well on the first two discs, it was happy and very care-free, I was digging it. Then after disc two it started trying to be serious and much darker, which really clashed with the previous tone of the game, and it didn't help that it fluctuated so much either. One second Quina is off doing something silly and everyone is having a good time, then someone says something a scene later and everyone flies into an existential crisis.

It also didn't help that they kept pulling twists out of there ass in order to reference, pay homage to, or give allusions to previous FF games.

Zidane being an alien, Garland, and the way he handles it was just awful. I get they really tried to set it up well, but it would have better if throughout the game the question of who/what Zidane was was brought up more often, by both him and the characters. He alluded to being different, but we aren't given much evidence, and given what is revealed later, he seemed really distant toward Vivi's questions of why he was created, even though Zidane had many of the same questions himself. Like, the first two disks are just way too different from the last two and it shows. Fuck, Kuja doesn't even say shit to or about Zidane when they meet the first time despite Zidane being Kuja's whole motivation for being evil. It's really the little things in the game that piled up.

It was just a bad case of over-ambition, IX tried too hard to be like ALL the FFs before it, instead of focusing on being one thing, mastering that one thing but also having moments to break up the overall tone of the game in a very smart, and small but impactful way. That is why V, VI and VII turned out so well, they stuck with one tone for the whole time but broke it up with moments and settings of the opposite type of tone. They didn't make some huge leap later, they stayed consistent.

IX is still amazing and definitely one of the best entries in the series, but that was its biggest flaw

>> No.1861164

>>1859843
You seem like the kind of person who at funerals or weddings just says "Meh, it's ok I guess."

Otherwise known as a huge dick.

>> No.1861181
File: 86 KB, 1024x1024, 1406504882819.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1859816
Not evening disagreeing with you, but fuck could you be any less subtle in your trolling.

>> No.1861240

Butz

>> No.1861254
File: 436 KB, 775x1000, Amano-Vivi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1861154
What the fuck why didn't Vivi look like this goddamn

>> No.1861265 [SPOILER] 
File: 14 KB, 400x300, 1407999155165.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1859314
I have to be honest, I love this game, mostly because I like big Butz and I cannot lie.

>> No.1861486

It's my favorite FF.
The whole job system opens up so many possible builds.
And then there's always the possibility to do a four job fiesta, which can end up really tough to complete.

>> No.1861878

>So many possible jobs and combinations for your party of 4
>tfw I just end up making Bartz the physical attacker, Galuf the tank, Faris the magic attacker, and Lenna the healer everytime
>then when I get Krile I change it up completely, making Bartz the tank, Faris the attacker, Lenna the magic attacker, and Krile the healer.

Just can't see it any other way.