[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 94 KB, 605x483, Zelda 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1853590 No.1853590 [Reply] [Original]

Man, screw this game, seriously. What a pain in the ass.
Now, before you start spewing bullshit, I did enjoy the legit hard parts and the combat, but there was too much bullshit going on at times:

I've seen paraplegic people holding butter knives with more effective range than Link and his "sword".

Sending you back to Zelda's castle when you run out of lives is a complete demotivator. It makes you wanna drop the game right there, and that's some terrible design.

There are a ton of parts filled with instadeath pits and "medusa heads". Rage ensues.

Why the fuck are there no items? You depend way too much on your magic, the spells drink MP like bitches, and the fucking life spell doesn't even recover a third of your goddamned life bar. Which means you end up farming for magic jars, with get dropped once every blue moon and only recover one of your stupid squares. It's a pain in the ass.

And a lot of enemies are immune to most of your moves, which is bullshit. The thing you shoot when you have full life is the most fucking useless shit ever. And so is the upthrust. The one time it could had been useful, that's against that stupid bird final boss, and it doesn't work. Great.

tl;dr: 4/10. There was a good game here, but they fucked it up. Undoubtedly the worst Zelda, but it's not as terrible as people or my own post may make it look either.

>> No.1853618

>>1853590

avoid cheap enemies with downward stab

when finding red jars you can max out health while still filling up magic with the spell as long as it doesn't fill up all the way, so you have to be fast

git gud

the real flaws are are shit like finding bagu, the spell and the secret town

>> No.1853625

>>1853590
I think the worse flaw is that is because of how linear it is. Clear one part of the map and onto the next one. Few secrets to find and they're pretty easy too.

>> No.1853631

>>1853618
I've already beaten the game, dude.

>avoid cheap enemies with downward stab
I have to say, avoiding and running away from enemies in the last dungeon was actually pretty fun. Especially those hawk knights that come after you.
Also, yeah, too many hidden shit. The secret town is especially bullshit, since even if you know where is it, you still have to play the flute, which is bullshit cause up until then you simply got into the secret areas right away.

>> No.1853649

I beat this game when I was 9. Git gud.

>> No.1853664

>>1853625
Yeah, exploration is pretty moot when you have to follow a guideline.

>>1853649
I'm already gud enough, you retard.

>> No.1853676

>>1853664
Yeah it's what kills it for me honestly. I like it, but for me Zelda is all about exploration. Zelda II really has a focus on action instead.

That's not a bad thing though, the perfect Zelda game would be balanced with both things. Sadly we haven't seen such a game yet.

>> No.1854946

>>1853590
>Sending you back to Zelda's castle when you run out of lives is a complete demotivator. It makes you wanna drop the game right there, and that's some terrible design.
That's what they did back in the day. Just roll with it.

>There are a ton of parts filled with instadeath pits and "medusa heads". Rage ensues.
Git gud, or go slower. Simple as that.

>You depend way too much on your magic, the spells drink MP like bitches, and the fucking life spell doesn't even recover a third of your goddamned life bar.
Okay, this is definitely a case where "git gud" applies.

>tl;dr: 4/10. There was a good game here, but they fucked it up. Undoubtedly the worst Zelda, but it's not as terrible as people or my own post may make it look either.
It's a terrible *Zelda game* and I don't think anybody will disagree with that. But if you dropped the Zelda and put it in a different setting, I think everybody would agree it's a good *game.*

>> No.1855367

>>1853631
>The secret town is especially bullshit, since even if you know where is it, you still have to play the flute, which is bullshit cause up until then you simply got into the secret areas right away.
>still have to play the flute

No you don't. You use the Hammer to clear away forest to reveal the town. The Flute is used for making the giant spider go away, and for making the 6th palace appear. That's it.

>> No.1855458

>life spell doesn't even recover a third of your goddamned life bar. Which means you end up farming for magic jars

If you're using LIFE that much you need to git gud, scrub.

>> No.1855474

>more effective range than Link and his "sword".

It's more than enough for everything the game throws at you. The hitbox is bigger than it looks, too.

>you end up farming for magic jars

Stop getting hit so much holy shit. There's no excuse for being reduced to bottle farming.

>The thing you shoot when you have full life is the most fucking useless shit ever

No argument there. The swordbeam is completely anemic in Zelda II. Not that you ever need it, though.

>And so is the upthrust

I use upthrust all the time against flying & jumping enemies, or even ones that are just trying to drop onto me from a higher ledge.

>>1853631
>I've already beaten the game, dude.

You obviously didn't do it very well if you're this mad about it.

>you still have to play the flute

No, you use the hammer. And the old man in Old Kasuto practically serves the secret to you on a silver platter.

>> No.1855479

>>1854946
Other than the hidden town bullshit, it's one of my favorites.

I really have a hard time explaining why, but there are certain games where the difficulty is just right. I get a certain bloodlust playing this one. I get pissed, but the usual discouragement doesn't happen, my anger motivates me to keep plodding along and getting better. I have to force myself to stop sometimes because of how genuinely angry I get. I really only get that with maybe 10 other games or so, almost all of them for the NES. I love that feeling man.

I do think I often catch myself exaggerating how much I like this one because of how often others shit on it. It's a legit game, It's just got a bad reputation. In retrospect, people want to claim that this is not a "zelda" game as said earlier. But think about this as well, we didn't have a frame of reference back then to determine a clear outline for zelda games. We had the first one which was great too, but that's the only example. Ive heard some people dismiss that one too, so who knows anymore.

>> No.1855489

>>1854946
>That's what they did back in the day.
No, they didn't. In good games you always get sent back to the beginning of the level you died on. And what's worse is that this game does that, but only in the final dungeon.

Yeah, no. More like get lucky.

No, it fucking isn't. The length of the magic bar, the usefulness of the spells and the enemy item drop rate has nothing to do with how "gud" you claim to be, since you need to use spells anyway.

> if you dropped the Zelda and put it in a different setting, I think everybody would agree it's a good *game.*
Nah, none of the problems I mentioned have nothing to do with the fact that this is a Zelda game. It they had fixed some of those, and others I forgot to mention like the clunky platforming, it could had been a really good game, but the way it is, it's just a mediocre and sometimes frustrating sidescrolling hack and slash game. If it wasn't a Zelda game nobody would even remember it.

>>1855367
Oh, so it was the hammer. Ok. I guess having the manual would have helped with that, but still, up until then you simply fall into secret areas by walking over them.

>> No.1855503

>>1855474
>The hitbox is bigger than it looks, too.
Only the jumping and slashing has good range.

>if you're this mad about it.
Actually I was that mad because of that stupid bird final boss, since as I said you can't use the move you should be using against it, and also I didn't know you could use the fucking reflect spell to protect yourself from those random bullets, because why the hell would it work against that, so I got killed a bunch of times.

>there are certain games where the difficulty is just right.
This was true for me in the final dungeon only, since it's the only one where you get sent at the place you should get sent if you die.

>> No.1855535

I had a hell of a time of this as a kid. I was under levelled because I sucked, manages to set all the crystals and not be.888. Never beat it.

Playing it recently and its a piece of cake.

Concerned about how much of my memory is given over to this bullshit since I know almost everything. Only bullshit was finding the boots. I don't remember any hint except that the temple has a hidden passage. Guessing that I'm supposed to jump down a hole in the middle of my careful XP farming? Nope.

>> No.1855540

>>1855503
>Only the jumping and slashing has good range.

The sword has the same hitbox whether you're jumping or standing. It's even longer than an orange Daira's axe hitbox.

>> No.1855564

>>1855503
Last part was for >>1855479, my bad,

>>1855535
Yeah, there are a ton of fake pits without indications. At least an old man tells you they exist, but not where are they. Again, this is especially bad in a game that sends you home when you die. This kind of thing was never a problem in a Super Mario or in a Megaman.

>>1855540
It certainly doesn't feel that way, though I guess it's because it's easier to hit all the shielded enemies with that.

>> No.1855576

>>1853590

Some of your complaints are due to the English version being made more difficult. The Japanese version is a bit easier (still has a lot of bullshit though).

>> No.1855691

>>1855489
>Yeah, no. More like get lucky.
No, seriously, if you're getting killed on those heads over lava pits, you need to either slow down or go at full pelt with liberal use of down stab. A new pair of heads spawns when the previous head flies off screen. If you git gud you would know this and know how to avoid falling in pits.

>The length of the magic bar, the usefulness of the spells and the enemy item drop rate has nothing to do with how "gud" you claim to be, since you need to use spells anyway.
Most spells have very limited uses and you shouldn't be casting them for MP to matter. Shield on some bosses, Life when you need it; every single other spell should only be cast when they're *required* to progress. There are more than enough guaranteed potions.

>I forgot to mention like the clunky platforming
It's not clunky, there's inertia and weight. This isn't Mario or Sonic or Megaman.

>>1855503
>>1855564
>Only the jumping and slashing has good range.
>It certainly doesn't feel that way, though
You are mistaking mobility for range. Also Ironknuckles don't shield their head, so jumping helps there.

>Actually I was that mad because of that stupid bird final boss
If you are so bad at the platforming that Reflect actually helps you in this fight, "git gud" 100% applies to your dodging skills.

>since it's the only one where you get sent at the place you should get sent if you die.
You get three lives when you continue. Use them wisely.

>>1855535
>>1855564
>Only bullshit was finding the boots.
>Yeah, there are a ton of fake pits without indications.
One of the villagers will tell you about the hole. If you pay attention to all the holes game, water/lava is death, but black means there's something. Even the elevators hint this. Fact is, fake pits ARE marked, and they don't appear until Castle #4.

>> No.1855717

>>1855691
I beat the game in a couple of days without having played it before, so I'm plenty of gud already, asshat.

>you would know this and know how to avoid falling in pits.
Except you can outrun them easily an trigger the next ones and their trajectory is completely random. Not to mention the fish head, that appear whenever the hell they want to.

>Most spells have very limited uses
>This isn't Mario or Sonic or Megaman.
That's exactly the problem.

>There are more than enough guaranteed potions.
2 per dungeon is far from more than enough seeing how much the spells deplete your bar and how many MP draining enemies are floating around everywhere.

>Also Ironknuckles don't shield their head
Except they totally do. Their high guard shields their head.

Random bullets raining over you has nothing to do with platforming. Also, since the motherfucker has to gain momentum to run, you can get killed pretty fast, so blow me.

>If you pay attention to all the holes game
I didn't. I'll give you that.

>> No.1855742

>>1853590
Now that you've played a game with a really long sword range you should go play something with a short one. Check out Lagoon for SNES.

>> No.1855745

>>1855717
>Except they totally do. Their high guard shields their head.

If you jump and slash on the way down, you can hit them even when they raise their shield. I suppose you could say there's a.... knack to it. Har har.

>> No.1855779

>>1853590
>Sending you back to Zelda's castle when you run out of lives is a complete demotivator.

This is where you're wrong.

There has to be some kind of consequence from dying. So you have to play smart. You have to decide to go for the easy level up, or go for the better one but risk dying before getting it. You have to decide to accomplish SOMETHING during your go. Get at least one spell, get at least one heart/bottle, level up a bit, or do part of a dungeon. You have three lives. Spend them wisely. I suspect you were just running out going YOLO, dying and then complaining.

This encourages smart gameplay on the player.

>There are a ton of parts filled with instadeath pits and "medusa heads". Rage ensues.

Get good you whiny bitch.

>tl;dr: 4/10. There was a good game here, but they fucked it up. Undoubtedly the worst Zelda, but it's not as terrible as people or my own post may make it look either.

haha. This is good.

>> No.1855782

>>1853590
>Why the fuck are there no items? You depend way too much on your magic, the spells drink MP like bitches, and the fucking life spell doesn't even recover a third of your goddamned life bar. Which means you end up farming for magic jars, with get dropped once every blue moon and only recover one of your stupid squares. It's a pain in the ass.

Many statues give out max MP jars.

Again, this is about smart gameplay. You have to make choices about your spells and learn to manage them.

>> No.1855785

>>1853590

Zelda 2 is one of the most divisive Zelda games.

But at the time of release it was getting 9/10. It only became divisive later when Ocarina of Time fans went back and started playing it. They're not used to it. The game is too hard, and different, so they say it's awful.

>> No.1855787

>>1853625
>I think the worse flaw is that is because of how linear it is. Clear one part of the map and onto the next one. Few secrets to find and they're pretty easy too.

It's a fucking famicom game nigger. Next you'll be whining about lack of CGI movies or in depth storyline.

These were some of the first true complex games, were lightyears ahead of stuff that came before and were breaking completely new ground.

>> No.1855791

>>1853676
>I like it, but for me Zelda is all about exploration. Zelda II really has a focus on action instead.

Cuz it's a different game and shouldn't be judged by standard Zelda formula and appeal.

>> No.1855794 [DELETED] 

>>1831825

>>/data/vr/img/0013/84/1391546546286.jpg

>> No.1855801

>>1855779
You're missing the point completely. Getting sent to the beginning of the stage and respawning all the enemies is a good consequence of you dying. This happens in the last dungeon and you have to play smart to get to the bottom and to defeat the bosses, so it does encourage smart gameplay on your part. Sending you all the way back to square 1 isn't a good punishment at all. It just makes you wanna turn off the system.

>> No.1855807

>>1855801

Takes like a minute tops to get to most places.

And last dungeon you respawn there anyways.

>> No.1855812

>>1855782
Oh, yeah, the statues that if you hit them from the wrong spot they spawn a knight right over you. You'd think hiding them or making them hard to access would be enough, but no.

It's a risk/risk system. If you don't use spells you risk your life, but if you use them you risk to get stuck once you get to any of the many instances that require you to use spells.

>> No.1855815

>>1855812

Man you're a pussy. They can spawn knights sometimes. Then just run away.

>> No.1855818

I am not particularly any good at video games, and I can never beat those "hardest games ever", but I was able to beat Zelda 2.

>> No.1855819

>>1855815
>run away
>Not kill them
You're the only pussy here.

>> No.1855849

>>1854946
>It's a terrible *Zelda game*

It's good, though

>> No.1856126

>>1855787
>absurdly linear compared to the PREVIOUS INSTALLMENT IN THE SAME SERIES
>no man, there wasn't technology for it at the time!

>> No.1856614
File: 1.89 MB, 236x224, 1407595307658.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>the game design isn't flawed, you just suck

can't excuse everything in this game as part of well calculated, planned design

>> No.1857108

>>1856614

Zelda II is near perfect. I love playing it. Most new players either:

1. Don't get it. They come from the viewpoint of judging it from regular Zelda formula. These people do not like games like Zelda II. They like regular Zelda games. They don't know how to play Zelda II style games.

2. Suck and aren't willing get good.

>> No.1857126

>>1857108

Then why didn't they make another game in the same style? It obviously wasn't as popular or well-received. Sure, maybe most people didn't "get it", or "suck too much". This might not be the sign of a "bad game", but at least one that's never going to be that popular. So you can't blame people for not liking it.

>> No.1857132

>>1857126
people loved it when it came out, it was the hottest selling game of the 1988 christmas season you couldnt even find a copy in most stores. It only got a bad rep from all the babies whos first game was lttp.

>> No.1857134
File: 31 KB, 765x670, The_Battle_of_Olympus.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you want to enjoy Link's Adventure for the NES you should just do yourself a favor and play The Battle of Olympus instad. It's essentially the same game, except Battle of Olympus doesn't suck balls.

>> No.1857150

>>1857134
>Elevators and actual mappable floor plans in a dungeon?
>FUCK THAT NOISE!
>Repeating corridors with tons of doors, all who lead to different layers of other repeating corridors!

>> No.1857158

>>1857132

Doesn't answer my question. If everyone loved it, why no sequel in the same style? Ever?

>> No.1857259

>>1857108
This. OP is clearly just a whiny bitch. Git gud hasn't been warranted as much as this.

>>1857126
Probably because of whiny retards who are afraid of change. Just look at how similar 3D Zeldas have become compared to each other.

>> No.1857265

>>1857158
Great question. I have been waiting for it. If I knew how to I certainly would. Because I used to LOVE Zelda. This was and is my fave. But why not keep making OOT clones and all that dollars.

>> No.1857268

>>1857158
All the casuals who came to the party after link to the past didn't like it because it was too different/hard? I dunno I just know it's my favorite now and it saddens me it's not liked by more people.

>> No.1857273

>>1857158
I think it's because, when they went back to the top-down perspective for LttP, that introduced a whole new generation to the series and was one of the flagship titles on the NES. Then when the N64 came out, they wanted to do a 3D Zelda, which became OoT, and that set the standard for 3D titles. Plus the original LoZ used the top-down perspective. So AoL became sort of the forgotten middle child. I would love Nintendo to revisit its style of play in a handheld Zelda though.

>> No.1857284

>>1855819
>run away
>come back
>hit statue again, get mp this time, continue adventure
Or
>risk fighting dude when you already knew you needed more mp. Probably at 1 bar hp.
>win.
>50xp, cannot hit statue for another potion this continue.

>> No.1857286

>>1853590
>sword is too short
The game was designed with that in mind, so it is a non-issue.

>Sending you back to Zelda's castle when you run out of lives is a complete demotivator. It makes you wanna drop the game right there
No, the opposite is true. It's very motivating indeed.

>There are a ton of parts filled with instadeath pits
Not really.

>Why the fuck are there no items?
Why the fuck are you not blonde and a female? Your question is meaningless.

>Which means you end up farming for magic jars
You're not supposed to. You're playing the game wrong, so it's not that entertaining. First and foremost, learn to play better and stop "farming."

>And a lot of enemies are immune to most of your moves
Most enemies are vulnerable to most moves.

>Undoubtedly the worst Zelda
Phantom Hourglass or any of the CDi ones are worse in every way conceivable.

>> No.1857304

>>1857268
I've played it since 1 and always hated 2. Sue me. Both Zeldas were some of my first games.

>> No.1858095

>>1857273
>>I think it's because, when they went back to the top-down perspective for LttP, that introduced a whole new generation to the series and was one of the flagship titles on the NES.
3 1/2 years is not a new generation of players.

>> No.1858107

>>1857134
I like Battle of Olympus but the game has more balance issues than Zelda II especially when you are in the snowy mountain. And you have to farm the shit out olives for items

>> No.1858116

>>1855742
Nasir's sword isn't even a sword, it is a toothpick

>> No.1858118

>>1857108
>Most new players don't get it. They come from the viewpoint of judging it from regular Zelda formula.
Don't tell me you seriously don't know why this is.

Zelda II is a fine, if mind-numbingly repetitive action side scroller, but it was a bad idea to sell it as a sequel to the first one. They're two fundamentally different games, and for people used to top-down action, it can devolve into trial-and-error gameplay. It's also punishingly difficult for first-time players after the first temple.

>>1857132
>people loved it when it came out, it was the hottest selling game of the 1988 christmas season
Source?

>> No.1858129
File: 78 KB, 551x752, pacman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1857132
>>people loved it when it came out, it was the hottest selling game of the 1988 christmas season
Since when do hot sellers overlap with quality games?

>> No.1858134

>>1853590
I never made it passed the place in the swamp. It's a combination of me being not good at it, and me not liking the game.

I may have missed it, but I wished there was a way to get new checkpoints or something. It took a lot longer to get back to where I wanted than it did in the first one, and losing the exp along with it when I was so close to leveling up sucked.

>> No.1858136

>>1858107
>the game has more balance issues than Zelda II especially when you are in the snowy mountain. And you have to farm the shit out olives for items
"Git gud" definitely applies here.

>> No.1858147

>>1858136
Having to kill enemies over and over to buy most of the items that are needed to progress in the game has nothing to do with skill, it is tedium

>> No.1858158

>>1858147
>>Having to kill enemies over and over to buy most of the items that are needed to progress in the game has nothing to do with skill, it is tedium
No, it's not. You just have the attention span of the type of underageb& that can't beat Zelda II.

>> No.1858161

>>1858158
Zelda II doesn't make you farm enemies for money to buy items you need to progress in the game

>> No.1858164

I would love to see Nintendo give this game the LBW treatment, even if they had to dumb down the difficulty the first go-through for casuals. It really deserves more attention, as a novelty if nothing else, and somebody at Nintendo wanted it done years ago since OoT started off as a 3D Polygonal remake of Zelda II.

>> No.1858250

>>1858118
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt4KG9ib8S4

>> No.1858272

I love watching babies rage over classic games.

>THIS GAME IS HARD. ITS NOT FAIR. FUCKIN BULLSHIT THIS IS THE GAME'S FAULT NOT MINE.

Stay salty, junior.

>> No.1858298
File: 478 KB, 1272x1580, 456228213.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1858272

>> No.1858414

>>1857259
Can't you faggots stop sounding like broken records already? I'm not that familiar with shitposting around here, but isn't "git gud" something you say to people that complain because a game is kicking their asses? I already beat the damn game, that screenshot is mine, so shut the fuck up already. I even say I enjoyed the hard parts a lot, I'm just complaining about all the annoyances I found in the game.

>>1857284
I did the second one time cause I got mad that the knight spawning and he coincidentally dropped me a red potion. Now, that felt good.

>>1857286
>The game was designed with that in mind
Sure, but it still feels weird to position yourself in hugging distance of your enemies. You're supposed to be sword fighting, not judo fighting.

>No, the opposite is true. It's very motivating indeed.
That's probably just you. As I said, getting sent back to the beginning of the level, like how they do in the last dungeon, is both a good punishment and it motivates you to go back and kick asses.

>Not really.
Yes, really. The moment you get past the spider Snorlax you get tons of those.

>Why the fuck are you not blonde and a female? Your question is meaningless.
Your retort is meaningless. Usable items were a thing in the previous game.

>You're playing the game wrong, so it's not that entertaining. First and foremost, learn to play better and stop "farming."
No, I'm fucking not. What do you want me to die and keep coming back until I can do every dungeon in 1 life? Why the fuck would you do that? That's not playing better, that's being insane. I'm not making a career as a Zelda II speedrunner, so screw you.

>Most enemies are vulnerable to most moves.
Now, you're clearly talking out your ass. Have you even played the game?

>Phantom Hourglass
You're kidding me, right?

>or any of the CDi ones
No fucking shit. The CDi games don't count, you fool.

>>1858164
I'd love that too, but no dumbing down, please. Just make it less archaic.

>> No.1858469

>>1858414
Ignore the people who say "git gud". Chances are they're complete shit at it. They just want you to get mad, and they're winning.

>> No.1858478 [DELETED] 

>>1853590
Git Gud

>> No.1858492

>>1857126
I heard that when the Zelda II first came out it was just nintendo trying out what would and wouldn't work. Before this time there was only Zelda one, so Miyamoto wanted to try a style much more similar to another one of his games (It's a-him).

It sold well due to the title but many people expected something similar to the first game. People know its a solid game because other Nes games would try to follow it's style (Rambo, anyone?) but I think most people consider it to be the black sheep because it is so different.

Now, liking it and hating it is simply player preference.

>> No.1858501

See
>>1857742

Also see
http://www.nytimes.com/1988/12/04/business/nintendo-scores-big.html

>> No.1858508

>>1858501
>You're not allowed to have a negative opinion about my game.
Okay.

>> No.1858512

>>1858414
>i uhlredy beat da game
Cool emulators and savestates bro. If you got gud you wouldn't have to feel like such a talentless tool and be made a laughingstock by a great game that just isn't accessible by a teary-eye babby like yourself.

Git gud, scrub.

>> No.1858513 [DELETED] 

>>1858414
I don't understand. I thought /vr/ and retro games appealed to older, adult players. What is a 15-year old doing here?

>> No.1858518
File: 19 KB, 400x300, I ain't even mad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1858512
Good try, but if I had used savestates I wouldn't be complaining about getting sent back to the beginning of the game or having to farm for potions, so get rekt.

>> No.1858525

>>1858518
>I wouldn't be complaining about getting sent back to the beginning of the game
You got sent back to the beginning of the game and then you pressed the quick load button.

>having to farm for potions
Because you're too uncoordinated to use save states properly in the middle of a boss battle.

>> No.1858528

>>1858513
>I thought my games were just for old farts like me. Why are younguns allowed to like my games? My secret club is ruined...

>>1858525
>Using savestates

>> No.1859483

>>1858129
The point is that the game was popular. Also, are you going to say that since Mario is a popular series, none of them are good?

>> No.1859540

>>1858414
If you got gud then you'd realize your complaints are retarded and stupid.

But you don't because you probably save scummed your way through it. Acquire skill.

>> No.1859768
File: 24 KB, 1002x720, true timeline.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw people actually believe Nintendo's published timeline and take it seriously

>> No.1861518

I am playing it right now, the thing that annoy me is that sometimes I press left and right at the same time, and my character fly away. Can I configure my emulator so that I can't input left and right at the same time ?

>> No.1861568

>>1857158
What do you think Twilight Princess was?

>> No.1861580

>>1861568
A retread of OOT, obviously

>> No.1861584

>>1861580
Which has more in common with Zelda 2 than Zelda 1.

>> No.1861605
File: 18 KB, 960x228, timeline.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1859768
That's a pretty farfetched claim there, Cotton. I can't believe Watermelon came last.

>> No.1861614

>>1859768

Way I see it, it's the same legend being passed down through thousands of years, and with each telling there's a variation.

But whatever, fans gotta fan.

>> No.1861626

>>1859768
>>1861614
Have you even played the games or what? The legends of previous games and other events are, in fact, told in the games themselves, and every game creates a new legend around it.

>> No.1861627 [DELETED] 
File: 80 KB, 404x343, 1286303752279.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Dear babies,

"The game is too hard" is never a design flaw. Challenge is supposed to be part of a game. It's only a flaw if the challenge in question is literally impossible to complete. When you say something is "too hard" what you are really saying is that it's too hard FOR YOU. It is not the designer's fault that something doesn't appeal to your specific taste. Others will enjoy and appreciate the obstacles that happen to frustrate you. Because that's the purpose of a game: to overcome obstacles.

Now that you have been enlightened, please stop addressing your opinion as some sort of blanket fact when in reality you're just voicing personal interest that nobody really has any obligation to care about.

Thank you, and good night.

>> No.1861757
File: 33 KB, 498x336, 726.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1861627

so if i made a hack and placed goombas everywhere above at the start of the level randomly with no thought whatsoever it would be good design?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pch5IORKFhs

>> No.1861758

>>1861757
>dat strawman

>> No.1861763
File: 152 KB, 821x672, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

wat do

>> No.1861782 [DELETED] 

>>1861627
>copypasta

Please go back to /v/

>> No.1861794
File: 12 KB, 538x361, setting.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1861518
If you're using FCEUX, here's what you check/uncheck. Config->Input.

>> No.1861795

>>1861763
Go to the previous town to get life.

>> No.1861851
File: 165 KB, 820x671, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1861763
I have done the dungeon in the swamp, and now I am really stuck, because I haven't found any other dungeon.

>> No.1861870

>>1861851
Never mind, I have just found a tunnel.

>> No.1862006

>>1861870
The ghosts
The ghosts in the cemetary
They drain
They drain my XP
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

>> No.1862023

>>1862006
Because it will give you incentive to get better at not getting hit.

Or just to show you that maybe there's something important they might be guarding.

>> No.1862461

>>1855818
kinda this. I find it hilarious how much the difficulty is blown out of proportion. It's pretty much the Dark Souls or 2hu of the 80s.

>> No.1862541

>>1862461
>Dark Souls or 2hu of the 80s
>Dark Souls is famous for being harder than the mainstream games of its time
Sooo... it IS harder than most mainstream games for the NES?

Beaten it and done 4-1-1 challenge on it. Plenty of games are harder.

>> No.1862639

so let me sum up what you have tried to teach OP in this thread:

this game is obviously 100% perfect and no other game has ever been as good, because it is old.

anyone who complains about any possible perceived imperfection in this game has not actually pointed out an imperfection, but is secretly pointing out that they are not as skilled as any other gamer on this board. therefore, the only possible response is "git gud", over and over again, until they get frustrated and leave the board. this is seen as "quality discussion" on /vr/.

sound about right?

>> No.1864118

>be Link
>finish first dungeon
>go to a dangerous cave become there is nothing else to explore
>fucking monsters with boomerang everywhere
>kill them all
>exit the cave
>there's a swamp
>ohshitohshit
>get to a town with my life bar almost empty
>talk to a woman
>she becomes a bat
>kills me
>game over
T...Thanks

>> No.1864131

>>1864118
Yeah, those random Ganon followers are assholes.
Protip: If you got the item and defeated the boss, just save the game and you'll resume the game healed and with all your lives back.

>> No.1864153
File: 217 KB, 825x676, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1861851
samefag
rate my progress.

>> No.1864156
File: 85 KB, 1280x850, 1355779049915.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1858501
>>1858250
>>1857132
>implying people didn't just buy it because it claimed to be a sequel to one of the most popular games on the system
>implying people didn't want an updated version of Zelda 1
>implying there wasn't mass disappointment

>> No.1864163

>>1864153
Why are you missing the life spell?

>> No.1864169

>>1864163
I think I have to find a mirror (bitch asked me to find a mirror in a village) and I haven't found it.

>> No.1864171

>>1864169
It's under a table in the house next to hers.

>> No.1864172

>>1864171
I feel dumb now...

>> No.1864176

>>1864172
Well, don't. It's one of those things you have no way of knowing anyway.

>> No.1865497

>>1864153
The fact you made it this far without the Life spell blows my fucking mind

>> No.1868851
File: 130 KB, 2698x1888, untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]