[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.17 MB, 1920x1080, 1367645983553.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1841973 No.1841973 [Reply] [Original]

Happy birthday metroid. Lets have a thread of the original metroid
>dat immersion
>dat kraid's theme
>dat difficulty
original metroid for the nes is one of my all time favorite games.

>> No.1842108

bump

>> No.1842110

>dat

>> No.1842213

>>1841973
>>dat difficulty
>Restores only 30 HP after dying.
>Have to farm for half an hour.
>Dies
>Go to step 1

>> No.1842229

>>1842213
>farming
>instead of just dodging enemies

>> No.1842251

>>1842229
Ok anon, try to beat this game with only 30 HP.

>> No.1842254

I will never understand why people like Metroid I. It's god awful. It just throws you into a world where all you do is bomb walls for five hours hoping to advance, and if you die you're stuck in an infinite loop of grinding, getting lost, and dying again.

Every other game in the series is infinitely better and I love all of them, sans OM, but Metroid I has aged like milk.

>> No.1842587

>>1842254
Most Metroid fans would agree with you. Zero Mission straight up replaced the original, and it's a much better game. Although it's not /vr/.

Still, you gotta give credit where it's due. It was pretty innovative for it's time and tried some neat things. If it wasn't for that, we wouldn't have got all those other Metroid games.

What do you think of Metroid II for the Gameboy?

>> No.1842616

>>1842587
>Although it's not /vr/.
It isn't? I thought remakes of /vr/ were okay to discuss. I saw the GBA Final Fantasy remakes several times here.

>> No.1842627

>>1842616
I just assumed since it's GBA, it's not /vr/, but now that you say that, I'm not sure if there's an exception for remakes.

And which remakes are we talking here? Because FFIV, V, and VI are pretty much just ports of those games, so maybe that's okay. But then I and II are total remakes, and you also have the III remake on the DS.

Perhaps this is something the sticky should clarify on.

>> No.1842648

>>1842254
It was pretty revolutionary for its time, but yes, it's clunky as fuck. Future games far surpass it. I'd be more willing to play it if
1) it used saves rather than passwords (fuck needing to grind for all your health after every death)
2) it had a map
3) rooms weren't just copies and there were actually subtle hints telling you where to bomb stuff necessary for progression

>> No.1842658

>>1842648
The whole thing with some rooms being copies is that they were literally the same room. It would have been too big if they made each room unique, so they basically re-used rooms in order to make the world seem bigger.

And stuff being hidden with little to no hints is the one thing that bugs me about all 2D Metroids. In Super Metroid, and Metroid games after that, there was enough detail where they could have some hints, but there were still some stuff just hidden in an innocuous tile.

>> No.1842686

>>1842658
But the super-hidden stuff was not REQUIRED for progression in the later titles. It was generally only for energy tanks and such.

>> No.1842689

>>1842254
casual detected

>> No.1842705
File: 387 KB, 1240x620, 1349586923969.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1841973
>Happy birthday metroid

>> No.1842728

>>1842686
Sure, but then why put it there to begin with?

It's not really a reward when you're just bombing things at random.

>> No.1842742

>>1842705
There's a lot of Nintendo franchises that haven't got the love they deserve.

Hell, you could put Star Fox and Captain Falcon in Samus's place. It's been longer since we've gotten a proper Star Fox or F-Zero game than it has a Metroid game.

And there's also the Mother series, that has now gotten to the point that Nintendo casually jokes about Mother fans wanting Mother 3 to be localized. I mean damn, they don't even want a new game, they just want an old GBA game to finally be localized.

>> No.1842759

>>1842742
>Mother 3 is already 8 years old

>> No.1842832

>>1842251
You seem to miss his point. You can collect life on the go. If you never or barely lose life by running into enemies like a moron it's not really an issue. It also takes far less than half an hour if aren't an idiot about it. Eight tanks - 900 health. With no Varia suit and a normal long and 15 missiles, I can do it in 11 minutes from 30 health starting in Brinstar to farm. That's full, not half or a quarter - 11 minutes. You can effectively just run through once or twice and be a quarter full in 3 minutes tops and get by not taking retarded damage all day, top off on enemies as you go. It can be done even quicker than that.

>all you do is bomb walls for five hours hoping to advance,
Most walls can be secrets can be found by shooting the wall, bombing the floor or low wall on the other hand is something you might do. You don't even need to do it infinitely. It pays off here and there but ultimately the game hands you most of the stuff you need without searching all over the place.

You also don't get stuck in an infinite loop of grinding getting lost or dying because you shouldn't be lost, draw a map or get one. Once you get the ice beam or the wave beam you pretty much either stick all enemies in place to do what you will or just rape them silly. There are effectively two places you'll die, in norfair if you don't know about bomb jumping out of lava or getting stuck in a freak accident under a platform or fighting mother brain. The former doesn't happen often, the latter you at least know where to go back - that's the grindiest part of the game because unless you're really good, you will need full health and missiles to tackle it.

Realistically, you'd be unlucky to die once or even twice before Mother Brain. It's easy to keep your health up.

>> No.1842852

>>1842832
>bomb hop
fix'd. Not bomb jump, but the bomb hop.

>> No.1843016

>>1842648
It had a save feature in the original FDS version. You still started with 30 HP IIRC.

As for the map, that was your job. And the identical rooms help to confuse you, which the game needs because of limitations preventing much else doing that. It's not a very large game after all, and they needed all they could get.

>>1842742
I don't think a Mother 3 localization would do the game justice.

>>1842832
I disagree, I think that getting health and keeping it isn't really easy until you get the Varia Suit. And in some ways the Ice Beam actually impedes your gathering, as you can't deal damage as quickly and this can end up with you just getting alien in your face, which is difficult to deal with when you want to get your energy up.

Also, don't you max out at 699 HP? I was pretty sure the last two tanks are just refills.

>> No.1843028

>>1843016
>I don't think a Mother 3 localization would do the game justice.

(To)Mato pretty much told Nintendo that if they ever want to use his translation, they are more than welcome to. So the localization is going to be as good as the rom everyone played

>> No.1843072

>>1843028
I doubt that they would, simply because I think it would be too mature to ever be brought to the West, especially the US, precisely because I think that they would try to sell it as a kid's game.

>> No.1843684

>>1843016
Ice beam lets you keep your health easier, not gain it easier. You would be right as it's slower damaging. Wave beam is better to collect early because of that and then switch out ice beam. Wave beam does both, kills the shit out of everything and keeps things from touching you. Ice beam allows you to freeze an enemy and evade or missile it if it's large.

Norfair and Brinstar aren't bad without it at all, Ridley's Hideout or Kraid are where you definitely want the Varia suit especially for hitting lava but otherwise you shouldn't really have much of an issue with taking hits and enemies. If you've discovered it, once you get the high boots you can fetch it, assuming you decide it's better to do so then Ridley/Kraid aren't too bad. If you die, you'll start closer to go get it (since you wouldn't know what is in the door specifically). Knowing about the Varia suit and where it is half the problem. You shouldn't really be taking hits all day, if you are there's really reason to bitch at the game for your fault - any game is inherently difficult when you're terrible at games. The game can only do so much about that.

There are eight tanks, but yeah two of them don't register - I filled in the password for eight tanks and set off on timing it, my bad on that number. So yes that would be correct. The time and full life stand, the amount was incorrect.

I think the major complaint about keeping life is people who think they're hot shit and rush rather than paying attention to enemies and just blindly run into them or poorly judge situations. If you're paying attention you shouldn't be taking too many hits most of the the time.