[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 37 KB, 500x500, Metal_Gear_Solid_cover_art.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1840364 No.1840364[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Is this the most influential 5th gen game?

>> No.1840375

That's not Resident Evil

>> No.1840382

That's not mega man legends 2.

>> No.1840383

I'd say so.
At least as far as visual asthetic and story telling in games. Metal Gear Solid was the first to really set that standard.
First Metal Gear Solid, then Resident Evil 4 then Cawadooty 4 to get what we have now.

>> No.1840387

I really wish I hadn't been a kid when I played MGS1 for the first time, I replayed it when I grew up and really watched all the cut-scenes + understood everything. Damn I appreciate mgs1 now.

>> No.1840410

>>1840375
there were a whole lot of resident evil clones during 5th gen sure, but was it really that influential on later generations the way mgs was?

>>1840382
Are you just being silly, or are you talking about the pretty solid 3rd person shooter controls? I dunno if you can really say stuff like gears of war was really influenced by that game, especially when RE4 also had even closer of a contol to that kinda game

>> No.1840423

FFVII

>> No.1840427

what an awful game. especially after coming from thief and splinter cell
remind me why the writing in this game is not considered a joke by people
also the most influential game is probably sm64 or oot because of their influence on third person games.

>> No.1840435

Mario 64 and Half-Life

>> No.1840449

>>1840423
This is a pretty good one, it has that evangelion thing where everyone copies the superficial/brief aspects everyone remembers but not the 9000 little things that make it not The Worst, and so the entire genre stagnated like crazy.

>>1840427
>what an awful game. especially after coming from thief and splinter cell
You mean games that came out after this mgs1, and in splinter cells case were very obviously inspired by it?

>remind me why the writing in this game is not considered a joke by people
the original game is decent (did you play the gamecube remake? it fucks up the story pretty bad) because it doesn't have any real pretensions beyond being an action movie with a TWIST at the end to maybe make a sequel and to get more money.

>also the most influential game is probably sm64 or oot because of their influence on third person games.
The only thing OOT did for later games was Z targeting, and it wasn't even the first 3D action game with lock on (that's megaman ledgends iirc). Mario 64 is like resident evil where it spawned a lot of clones in the same console generation but didn't actually have any sort of huge impact on how games play past that. even the "successor" 3D mario games don't really play like mario 64 does.

>>1840435
what the hell did half life 1 do? the enemy solider AI is pretty good, but unreal had enemies that were about the same level.

>> No.1840463

>>1840427
>remind me why the writing in this game is not considered a joke by people
That's because those that do consider it a joke know that MGS isn't meant to be taken seriously. It's openly gamist and openly breaks the fourth wall, makes things run on nanomachines, nonsensoleum, and bullshitium.

It doesn't try to be serious.

>> No.1840515

>>1840449

played the playstation one. in what world is it decent writing?
it's like an overwrought bad action flick with nothing of the pacing or style of a good bond flick or a mann one. it lacks funny as well even though god knows it tries

> You mean games that came out after this mgs1

I didn't know age excused bad design. played through gunstar heroes recently, still plays like a charm
the first thief came out at the same time basically and was infinitely more enjoyable

> Mario 64 is like resident evil where it spawned a lot of clones in the same console generation but didn't actually have any sort of huge impact on how games play past that.

anyone who has designed a third person game has probably seen how they did it oot and sm64,
it's like saying doom had no influence because it's all military shooters and facebook games these days
what did mgs inspire? sub-par stealth sections? too much bad writing?

>>1840463

this works when there's a "so bad it's good" or "well at least it's imaginative" factor involved
mgs plays like the brainchild of some juvenile bore whose cultural intake for the last 30 years has been video games and quentin tarantino
I could maybe begin to see what you're talking about if you were speaking of jodorowsky or seijun suzuki

>> No.1840517

>>1840375
How did tank control Resident Evil influence the 5th gen? If anything I would say Resident Evil 4 was the most influential game for the next gen, with the help of Gears of War.

>> No.1840521

>>1840410
i thought we were just saying out favorite games.

>> No.1840525

>>1840517
I think he meant in terms of jump-starting the survival horror genre.

>> No.1840538

that's not super mario 64

>> No.1840559

It's up there, but Crash Bandicoot and Spiro the Dragon give it a run for its money. You also have Virtua Fighter, Marvel Heroes, Myst, Street Fighter Alpha, which was pretty awesome too. Rise of the Robots was promising but had its bad moments unfortunately.

>> No.1840587

>>1840515
>what did mgs inspire?
I guess the biggest thing is that every single "I really wish I was a movie" videogame ever made owes a lot to the original MGS.

>> No.1840787

>>1840449
>what the hell did half life 1 do? the enemy solider AI is pretty good, but unreal had enemies that were about the same level.
The emphasis on straightforward, linear but well-detailed level design and impressive set pieces was hugely influential on not just subsequent fps's, but several other genres as well. halo and call of duty, as well as almost every other subsequent fps, took most of their design choices from half-life

>> No.1840795
File: 42 KB, 400x300, Tenchu_PSOne_002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1840364
Nope! Tenchu innovated stealth action. It was released before Metal Gear Solid.

>> No.1840812

I can agree with OP's statement and still not be happy about it, right?

Because fuck Metal Gear Solid and the cinematic seriousness it promoted. I never needed shelves flooded with that bullshit.

>> No.1840837

>>1840787
I knew I hated Half-Life for a reason

>> No.1840840

>>1840449
Nah, man. He's got a point about half life. That game was widely influential on the PC FPS games, which are ultimately what everything is turning into.
I'd honestly say it's about 50/50 in terms of longevity.
Metal Gear Solid was the first to create a gigantic narrative accompanied by impressive graphics and it features various influential and groundbreaking mechanics but Half-Life did all of those things for a very large side of the crowd that had absolutely no experience with console games at relatively the same time.
Metal Gear Solid came out too late in the PS1's run to have been much of an influence on the 5th gen, so you can only really consider it's influence on 6 on.

>> No.1840847

>>1840787
Half-Life was largely inspired by what Jurassic Park: Trespasser set out to accomplish (even if it largely failed in the end), so I'd say that's the more influential game in terms of affecting game design.

>> No.1840849
File: 58 KB, 640x446, SM64.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No.

>> No.1840852

>>1840364
Generally the most influential games are the ones that sell the most, or at least a lot. Super Mario 64 easily had the most influence on that generation of games. Maybe somthing like half life or mgs had more influence later on.

>> No.1840856

>>1840525
Sweet Home and Alone in the Dark just don't exist, huh?
The only thing Resident Evil pioneered was the term "survival horror".

>> No.1840872

>>1840849
This.

Every 3d platformer, and most 3d games in general since owe something to mario 64.

It did for 3d games what super mario bro's did for 2d games.

>> No.1840878

>>1840847
Half Life came out a month later...
1 failed and the other didn't...
Why would you even consider Jurassic Park a contender?

>> No.1840886

>>1840449
>Mario 64 is like resident evil where it spawned a lot of clones in the same console generation but didn't actually have any sort of huge impact on how games play past that
You're failing to appreciate things like the game's heavily scripted but still manipulable camera, and its use of relative to camera controls rather than tank controls, both of which had a HUGE impact on the 3D games to come.

>> No.1840902

>>1840872
Nah, I don't think so. There weren't very many non-Nintendo games that were anything like Mario-64. Few people had any desire to compete with or emulate Mario.
Only a few managed to become relevant and by the time the 6th gen everyone stopped trying to make platformers anyway, as a new standard of immersion and narrative was being pushed by games like Metal Gear Solid and half life.
At this point Mario has virtually no influence on any other games, aside from smash and kart racing.

>> No.1840903

>>1840902

>>1840886

>> No.1840912

>>1840886
I guess you have a point with the camera, but I'm sure were other people doing this first. I haven't even considered that.

>> No.1840953

>>1840886
I take it back about >>1840912
I guess Mario 64 was essentially the first to have a full rotating camera. I failed to appreciate that when I was younger playing it. I hadn't played it until way later in its life.

>> No.1841018

>>1840364

Final Fantasy VII, Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, Resident Evil, Twisted Metal, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and Tekken 3 all had MUCH bigger impacts than MGS did. They were all copied relatively quickly, had huge impacts on (or started) their genres and got actual sequels a lot faster.

MGS was a sleeper hit that took time to pick up steam and wasn't super popular until MGS2 game out 4 years later. After all the above mentioned games had already dug their heels in and made actual impacts on the market. And MGS as a series was never really ripped off, The stealth concept was taken in to different directions, but there's no literal MGS clone out there.

Resident Evil as one example has dozens of clones in both it's original AND action oriented rework forms. So RE is more influential. Period. The same with the rest of them

And even in the long run, sequels, spinoffs and rip offs of the games I mentioned have sold FAR more copies and influenced more developers than MGS as a series ever did.

>> No.1841028
File: 89 KB, 406x500, breathoffireiv.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehsyXNwt0pc

>> No.1841038

>>1841018
>MGS was a sleeper hit that took time to pick up steam and wasn't super popular until MGS2 game out 4 years later.
/vr/ - Revisionist History

>> No.1841093

>>1840515
Jodorowsky, huh? Never heard of him.
I guess that's why simpleton like me could enjoy this bad written mess produced by uncultured jap.
Just look at that:
>Psycho Mantis with his powerful psychic abilities.
>Sniper Wolf, the beautiful and deadly sharpshooter.
>Decoy Octopus, master of disguise.
>Vulcan Raven giant and shaman.
And I always thought that it was deep and meaningful. Now that I'm enlighten, I can finally get rid of copies of other bad written shit like Escape from New York and Streets of Fire and buy myself dvd with stylish action movie for intelligent people - Heat.

>> No.1841109

>>1840878
Half-Life came out only a short while after Trespasser, but you have to understand that Trespasser was a much hyped game that had been delayed many times. To put this into perspective for you, Trespasser had already been in development for a year before Valve was even formed.
Besides that, I'm fairly certain Valve themselves have cited the game as a source of inspiration.

Here's a short list of things that Trespasser was the first or one of the first games to do:
>feature very large outdoor areas with a large draw distance and many trees and bushes and rocks and shit
>feature a game world where every entity is affected by physics (see saw puzzles, crate stacking, throwing at another thing to knock the other thing down, the works)
>feature ragdolls
>feature inverse kinematics (to the extent that nothing animated DOESN'T use them)
>use audio logs as a method of storytelling

>> No.1841114

>>1841109
>throwing at another thing to knock the other thing down
Whoops, meant to write "throwing a thing at another thing to knock the other thing down".

>> No.1841115

It's pretty close, but I'd say Half Life or Ocarina of Time.

>> No.1841129

Goldeneye 007 perhaps as the fist FPS that both looked somewhat realistically and played somewhat realistically?

Also all the subtle innovations to the FPS genre that people always forget (limb hitboxes, every gun has reloading, objectives other than collect something or kill everything, etc)

>> No.1841131

>>1840953
It's not exactly something that clicks immediately, but something you think about in retrospect. Don't worry about failing to realize this when you're younger. Most folks don't.

>> No.1841141

>>1841129
Goldeneye was certainly influential but FPS isn't the only game genre.

>> No.1841143
File: 26 KB, 280x400, residentevil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppY3INenSjk

>> No.1841151

>>1840795
that entire year there were several monolithic stealth releases, all with their own acclaim and influences. Tenchu, Metal Gear, and Thief all debuted that year and practically gave birth to the next generation of stealth games.

Shit, I'd be lying if I said practically, they did. They all influenced games in different ways, and their advent is a wonderful thing.

>> No.1841154

>>1841141
>FPS isn't the only game genre.
You wouldn't know that looking at the modern day games industry.

>> No.1841160

>>1840795
>>1841151
Arguably Bunker II in Goldeneye invented 3D stealth action

>> No.1841189

>>1840902
>There weren't many Non-Nintendo games like Mario 64
Were you living under a rock during Gen 5?

>> No.1841202

ocarina of time, super mario 64, or final fantasy 7

>> No.1841217

>>1841202
What did FFVII do that hadn't been done previously?

>> No.1841227

>>1841093
How about you go watch El Topo or Holy Mountain before spouting off like that and completely missing the point the guy was trying to make?

>> No.1841239

Playstation child here, when I was growing up we had Genesis and Playstation and I don't think I ever actually played N64 until at least ten years later. But I remember seeing N64 all the time when I was a little kid thinking "why the fuck do those graphics look so blocky and with so many sharp edges".

I've got one now and I like the console but as far as "revolutionary titles" goes it seems like the Playstation just had so many more titles. I won't name any off for PS but N64 seems to just have like, Mario 64, Goldeneye, OOT and like besides that I don't think I (with my small knowledge of N64 games as it's one of my least favorite consoles) I can really name any killer revolutionary titles.

Mario 64 is great but besides the camera and a few other nuances and the fact that it's 3D, what makes it so revolutionary? it seems like to me Mario 64 was just the first one to do the platformer thing in 3D. is that why it's regarded as revolutionary, because it was the first? and was it even the first? I suppose maybe since I didn't play Mario 64 until some time later I just don't understand, would someone care to explain?

>> No.1841240

>>1841217

ff7 was a landmark game for many reasons. Anyone who was alive and playing games when it came out wouldn't need it explained, but look up contemporary reviews if you're curious.

That said, I think there are other games (mario 64, goldeneye, OoT) that were more influential as far as gameplay mechanics.

>> No.1841249

>>1841217
this. it was a great game but...

>> No.1841250

>>1841239
>is that why it's regarded as revolutionary, because it was the first?

Yeah, typically when something is the first to do something it's considered pretty revolutionary.

>> No.1841254
File: 52 KB, 420x300, strider2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_fNwHLZ5h4

>> No.1841269

>>1841240
Well this is what the thread is for, to discuss those reasons. What are they anon? I'd rather hear from you than dig up reviews if I'll be honest with you. Was never much a fan for reviews, I always prefer direct discussion with someone knowledgeable about the topic.

>> No.1841274

>>1841217
>>1841249
well, it was the first final fantasy to really tell the story through the environment so heavily, sephiroth was a really well laid out character by showing you what he can do, and not just telling you. This wasn't really done before in an FF game, and FF7 handled it superbly. The game continued this motif of showing, not telling up to the fight with the guy himself. That's not to say they didn't ALSO tell, but regardless. It also had some marvelous cutscenes with a ton of attention to detail, it was a really captured setting tone and mood in final fantasy games extremely well. Their last attempt was, to say the least, abhorrent. (Celes opera scene, lol.)

It didn't do TOO much to innovate, but what it did, it did remarkably well and is held in high regard for that reason.

>>1841239
the N64 wasn't as popular a console to develop on and didn't provide much in the way of technology for developers to explore new aspects of game design.

However I don't think you truly understand how meaningful the camera controls were for Mario 64, and OoT. These systems, although I've seen them not attributed to these games in the past, are utterly remarkable in what they accomplish and what they enable developers to do. Without them we would never have seen games like ICO, SotC, Jak, Ratchet and Clank, GTA3, the Souls games, etc.

Their impact for the camera scheme alone is tremendous, it can't be emphasized enough what a popular implementation, and a successful one of such a camera scheme meant for games.

>>1841250
not particularly, but when it gets a lot of attention and it does something well, that's usually what the kicker is.

>> No.1841290

>>1841250
Okay I admit that was a dumb statement I guess but I just meant like, there were other games in that time period doing similar things so like, Mario 64 could've been overlooked and a game that came out 2 months later for instance could've been THE title, causing Mario 64 to get glossed over. that's just an example to explain what I'm trying to ask I guess, sorry if I'm being unclear at all. my brain is mush from having horrible jury duty all day long.

>> No.1841296

>>1841227
>Holy Mountain
Not that anon, but this movie is the fucking definition of pretentious vomit.

>> No.1841327

>>1841274
So the camera system really was that incredible for the time eh? Do you think that's why the game was so popular and sold so well? Obviously other than it being loads of fun, but how much do you think it contributed to/impacted sales positively? sorry if I seem like I'm asking dumb questions I'm just fascinated by it and like I said, super burnt out from a long day in jury duty.

>> No.1841340

>>1841269
It pioneered 3d jrpgs, refocused the genre towards cinematic presentation and away from grinding/battling. Pretty much every other jrpg of that gen (and the gens since) have tried to emulate that to some extent.

That said, the game only made minor leaps in the gameplay dept, and that's why I don't believe it deserves to be called the most influential game of the gen (it's not even close).

>> No.1841351 [DELETED] 
File: 11 KB, 250x271, klonoa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CRQycJw_do

>> No.1841352

>>1841327
Absolutely. I don't think that's why it sold so well, you don't really catch a players attention by going crazy about the camera controls in a game, but they were definitely a big part of why the game was so good. It's just a fun game to play in every meaningful way. Mario is great to hop around as, the rule of threes is in full force with platforming, moving around, sliding, every level is like a jungle gym of platforming, and this exploration of 3D space was something never before seen. It was a game that truly embraced what it meant to play in a 3D environment, and it played amazingly too. Just imagine what it means to have a 3D game that encourages you to play from every angle of the level, the floor, the ceiling, the walls, everything in that game can be used to navigate around the environment, and that level of control is rather unprecedented. And it feels amazing too.

It's just a game that got everything right, brought new ideas to the table, and immediately made developers realize what it meant to have a 3D space to make games in.

It also helped it was one of two launch titles, the other being pilot wings. Which, lets face it, isn't that appealing sounding of a game compared to something everyone recognizes, Mario.

>> No.1841371

>>1841274
>Without them we would never have seen games like ICO, SotC, Jak, Ratchet and Clank, GTA3, the Souls games, etc.
Yup. I also like to think Mario 64 also influenced Splinter Cell which also had a 360 camera that lets you be aware of your surroundings, something crucial in a stealth game. Funny because Splinter Cell was also influential with the whole over-the-shoulder aiming system.

>> No.1841374

>>1841239
N64 also had Mario Kart 64, which may as well have been Nintendo standing up in front of the gaming world and saying "this is how you will make all kart racers from now on".

>> No.1841376

>>1841274
>Without them we would never have seen games like ICO, SotC, Jak, Ratchet and Clank, GTA3, the Souls games, etc.
I don't think this is accurate. Someone would doubtless have come up with similar or identical camera systems eventually even if SM64 or OoT didn't exist.

>> No.1841379
File: 369 KB, 620x972, klonoa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1841351
Why do you post this in every thread?
http://archive.foolz.us/vr/search/filename/klonoa.jpg

>> No.1841381
File: 40 KB, 472x472, lomax.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70hUi_B0CdY

>> No.1841386

>>1841379
>Every thread

Look at the dates of the post, if it were posted in every thread, it would have a result for the entire month of July and August (so far)

>> No.1841391

>>1840364
I'd say it was Gran Turismo. Back then an average racing game had like 8 cars and 5 tracks. Unless they were palette swaps, in which case it had slightly more cars.

Then bam, GT had like 120 fucking cars in it.

Everything after that had to have shit loads of more content.

>> No.1841392

>>1841379
>all those posts
That's embarrassing.

>> No.1841394

>>1841379
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this guy. In the "games you can't get into" thread, he just posted a bunch of seemingly random games with a link to a longplay. He's done it a few times in this thread too. I don't know what their goal is.

>> No.1841393

>>1841376
We can't know that because it didn't happen.

>> No.1841408

>>1840849
>>1840872
What exactly did Mario 64 innovate anyway? It was a cookie cutter platformer, the only difference was that the levels were now polygonal.
It was incredibly tight and had more freedom than probably anything before, but all it did was taking an existing concept and flesh it out as much as the new hardware allowed. But it didn't really set up any innovation in 3d platform games, in fact similar 3d platformers were already in development at the time. Heck, Tomb Raider came out just a month later.

>> No.1841414

>>1841408
And before Tomb Raider there was this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY0OfAWqzi0

>> No.1841415
File: 38 KB, 350x300, azuredreams.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyww26kJkZo

>> No.1841423

Also, funnily enough, Mario 64 started out as a rip-off of Croc to begin with.

>>1841414
holy hell.

>> No.1841429

>>1840856
You are delusional if you actually think this. Here's an example comparison of how important the game was in influencing it's genre.

Catacombs 3D>Wolfenstein>Doom

Sweet Home>Alone in the Dark>Resident Evil

Being first =/= being innovative

>> No.1841438
File: 359 KB, 1250x1079, Fucking Viral.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1841394
I would like to think it's a bot, but the captcha prevents bots, so it's likely that someone actually spends their time this way.

Actually, while typing up this post I decided to look further into it.

All of these longplays are hosted on the same channel, and they all share the same longplayer.

These are nothing but aimless viral marketing.

>> No.1841442

>>1841423
No it didn't.
Argonaut wanted to make a 3D platformer for Nintendo starring Yoshi, but this didn't pan out and that game ended up becoming Croc.
The 3D Yoshi platformer prototype thing served as a bit of inspiration for the development of Super Mario 64 (sort of like: hey, a 3D platformer, we should do that), but that's as far as any of that goes as far as I can tell.

>> No.1841449

>>1841429
Guy I replied to said it jump started the survival horror genre, but in reality all it did was popularize the genre and give it a name. It did nothing to innovate. That's all I'm saying. I recognize that it's influential despite bringing nothing new to the table and am not arguing otherwise.

>> No.1841456

>>1841438
They are also the first or only longplay result to the game, your point?

>> No.1841462
File: 26 KB, 300x225, braveprove.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MDSo06hup4

>> No.1841476

is 'influential' /vr/'s new favourite buzz word?

>> No.1841481

>>1841462

So is this the same spammer then?

That game doesnt look influential at all, looks like a 5th gen Terranigma. Just posting random videos like this with no context or commentary contributes nothing to the thread.

>> No.1841482

>>1841476
That would be "artificial difficulty"

>> No.1841509
File: 292 KB, 1920x1080, ad.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1841482

>> No.1841524

>>1841449
Alone in the Dark and Resident Evil play almost nothing alike though, they're only the same in camera aspect and more loosely in inventory aspect. The series has a obvious arcade gameplay arched into the series, which no other horror game did at the time or has since, i mean just look at the speedrun community.

>It did nothing to innovate

You still haven't given a reason why you think this.

>> No.1841534

>>1841524
>You still haven't given a reason why you think this
You still haven't given any example of how it innovated.

>> No.1841538
File: 144 KB, 480x272, tomba.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVdoUEIev_A

>> No.1841546

>>1841482
That's two words you big silly xD

>> No.1841551

>>1841538
What did this innovate exactly? Please enlighten us because all you do is post random videos with no explanation.

>> No.1841739

>>1841028
Oh god, the nostalgia! That battle music... Fuck, I think it might be a good idea to replay the game sometime soon.

>> No.1841983

>>1841414
christ, that loses a lot of charm without the BGM
http://youtu.be/cM9cveNcDP8

>> No.1841994

>>1840364
>Is this the most influential 5th gen game?

Well at least you carefully chose your words. It was definitely influential. I just don't know if it was the most. Probably in regards to making games more movie like it was.

>tfw I am one of the few people on this site that finds MGS series very overrated

Or at least it feels this way due to it's rabid fanbase.

>> No.1842003

This is extremely boring, you name some mainstream game that was influential and some aspie will scream HURR YOU THINK SWEET HOME DOESN'T EXIST, HUH?

btw I think every game named in this thread was more important than mgs.

>> No.1842005

>>1842003
Sweet Home bringing up guy here.
Dude I replied to more or less said RE invented survival horror, which is incorrect, not that it was influential, which is obviously correct.

>> No.1842074

>>1842005
sweet home didn't invent survival horror either

>> No.1842091

>>1842074
I know.

>> No.1842123

>>1842005
the fact remains that SH1 and RE1 are still the first "mainstream" survival horror games, and thus the most brought up in the genre.

i was 15 when RE came out and it blew my fucking miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind, dawg. i have been playing games since zork, but i still remember that Resident Evil release. it was monumental.

>DON'T OPEN. THAT DOOR.

>> No.1842201

>>1840364
>set the standard for console games really wanting to be movies, a trend that's only become stronger over the decade and a half since the 5th gen (compare other very infulential 5th gen games like resident evil or mario 64 where they don't make games like that anymore)
>stealth gameplay (yeah tenchu and theif and shit came out at the same time, I'm just listing everything)
>4th wall breaking humor in a game that isn't totally zany
>one of the first games to have tons of insane little details
>really in-depth gameplay variety for the time
>showed that ps1 games could do more graphically then pre-rendered backgrounds, 2D games or janky as fuck polygons and looks really good

a lot of the other games listed in this thread really only have one thing about 'em, while I'd argue that mgs has a whole lot of stuff (and the whole WE MOVIE NOW thing has for better or worse completely changed how games are to this very day)

being "the most influential" doesn't mean the game is liquid gold or anything, but I can see what op is talking about

>> No.1842204

>>1840364
mgs is probably the first 5th gen game with voice acting that actually sounds pretty good (mei-ling aside)

everything before that was either decent but clearly like something from a kids show, or just total garbage that's either funny or just plain bad

>> No.1842246

>>1842204
what's wrong with Mei-Ling?

>> No.1842308
File: 139 KB, 250x248, ghostshell.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fllxBaIe9aA

>> No.1842424

>>1840364
What are the Metal Gear Solid like ?

>> No.1842437

>>1842424

Bad story, bad stealthing.
Play Thief or Deus Ex.

>> No.1842451

>>1840364
One of the most cancerous games ever made. Marks the beginning of the shift to 'cinematic' gaming. Fuck that pile of shit.

>> No.1842458

>>1842451
This.

>> No.1842469

>>1842437
I meant, the MGS clone.

>> No.1842471

You are aware it's basically a remake of MG2: Solid Snake, right ?

>> No.1842472

>>1842471
I'm aware of your mum's puss m8

>> No.1842498

>>1842472
The fuck you just said ??
*takes Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu fighting stance and unsheaths his katana*

>> No.1842537

>>1840787

So it was influential, but its influence completely ruined an entire genre.

>> No.1842551
File: 32 KB, 607x426, fo_splash.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1842537

>> No.1842713

>>1841143
Is there a collection of this 2D art of the series? Resident Evil Archives was filled mostly with 3D renders (laame).

>> No.1842739

>>1841217
It was THE game that broke Nintendo's position in the market, the market that they reassembled with shady business practices that was handed over to Sony on a golden platter. It was advertized exclusively for it's FMV sequences, and many advertisements talked about how it wouldn't be feasible to put it on the N64. FF7 alone did more shit-talking about Nintendo than Sega could ever hope for achieving, nevermind how aggressive Sony was against Nintendo despite their huge market presence that they had.

>> No.1842771

>>1842739
Nintendo's stubbornness to stick with ROM cartridges when everyone else in the market was switching to CD-ROM is what really made them lose their dominant position. Many third-party developers, including former Nintendo mainstays like Capcom, were already putting more effort on their PS and Saturn output than on supporting the N64.

Final Fantasy VII being made on the PS1 instead of the N64 was just the result of that decision, not the cause.

>> No.1842793

>>1842771
People point to FFVII as the game that killed the N64, but I think the effect of CD-ROM was merely cumulative rather than any one game. FFVII and Goldeneye were neck-and-neck in terms of sales for example. But the N64 had few megahits like Goldeneye, and the PS1 had plenty of games like FFVII.

>> No.1842826

>>1842551
I lol'd

>> No.1842831
File: 316 KB, 800x1075, tumblr_n3qqms79dx1rs6286o2_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1842713
I'm about to do a quick dump for you, which I believe is from the Biohazard strategy guide but I don't know/remember.

Hope everyone doesn't mind. It's about 10 images.

>> No.1842837
File: 343 KB, 800x1072, tumblr_n3qqms79dx1rs6286o3_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1842841
File: 329 KB, 800x1119, tumblr_n3qqms79dx1rs6286o4_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1842849
File: 341 KB, 800x1105, tumblr_n3qqms79dx1rs6286o5_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why this snake is even in the game, let along why it weighs 17 pounds, is beyond me but...

>> No.1842850
File: 333 KB, 800x1077, tumblr_n3qqms79dx1rs6286o6_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1842851
File: 92 KB, 241x400, persona2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_GExzurnXQ

>> No.1842853
File: 345 KB, 800x1120, tumblr_n3qqms79dx1rs6286o7_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1842858
File: 345 KB, 800x1079, tumblr_n3qqms79dx1rs6286o8_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1842860
File: 326 KB, 800x1076, tumblr_n3qqms79dx1rs6286o9_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1842861

>>1842851
Are you joking? This crap was niche even in Japan. Moreso, it's a goddamn spinoff of a niche series.

>> No.1842863
File: 349 KB, 800x1097, tumblr_n3qqms79dx1rs6286o10_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1842865

>>1842861
>Third best selling JRPG series behind Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in Japan
>Niche

>> No.1842867
File: 348 KB, 800x1080, tumblr_n3qqms79dx1rs6286o11_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is the end of the dump, enjoy everyone.

>> No.1842870

>>1842863
Thanks; I'll have to save these later.

I don't have it, but the artbook for Deep Fear has some great monster designs as well, even if it is wasted on a hilariously shitty game.

>> No.1842871
File: 15 KB, 256x256, strugglewithin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5IV3gf0Gs

>> No.1843358

>>1842471
and OOT is basically just a remake of LTTP, what's your point?

>> No.1843359

>>1842867

Being Head-Huted... what a way to go.

>> No.1843360

>>1842861
SMT was one of the big three prior to the PS2 generation.

>> No.1843371

>>1843360
a game can be successful without being influential

you could say that SMT itself was influential for being the very first monster collecting rpg, but persona is just jojos fanfiction

>> No.1843379

>>1842850
You know how an RE game could really scare me? By making spider encounters actual challenging encounters.

Spiders almost always go down like bitches, even when one shows up as a boss. I have arachnophobia like a motherfucker, but giant spiders become less scary when they go down so easily.

>> No.1843517

>>1840515
You're insufferable.

>> No.1843549

>>1843379
I almost think it's a running joke in the series over how non-threatening Spiders are.

They're always these big goofy-looking things that are woefully inaccurate and only hit you if you are stupid enough to stand still right in front of them. I love just running past them in every RE game.

>> No.1843565

>>1842471
By that logic OoT is a remake of ALttP and Metroid Prime is a remake of Super Metroid.

>> No.1844587

In the long run, yeah MGS is the most influential, for it's narrative and VO, it's stealth gameplay and its TECHNOLOGY. It's the perfect blend of Retro and Modern gaming in one package.
In the short run, Mario 64 is probably the most influential game of the generation.

>> No.1844621

>>1844587
I just don't see it. A greater focus on narrative is a natural thing that comes with the ability to include audio and video clips thanks to the greater storage capacity of CDs, far as I can tell.
I don't think MGS caused games to focus on narrative, it's merely a notable early example of a game which has a focus on narrative.

Also, what about Star Fox 64? That game came out earlier, was fully voice acted, the voices were half decent, and this was something critics were praising the fuck out of at the time.

>> No.1844623
File: 94 KB, 256x250, koudelka.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-zL0iCTCHU

>> No.1844647

Hard to say. As influential as ff7 was panzer dragon saga did it 2 years earlier

>> No.1844676

>>1844647
Too bad nobody played it.

>> No.1844682

>>1844676
If nobody had played it, nobody would know about it and it would have been an obscure Saturn game that doesn't fetch insane prices used

>> No.1844697

>>1844682
>>1844682
Actually no
>. Only 6,000 copies were first produced for the game’s American launch in May 1998, and many retailers failed to meet pre-order demand. Sega released a second batch of 12,000 copies the following June and then another 12,000 in the late summer.

Panzer Dragoon is one of those games that actually doesn't have many copies floating around.

>> No.1844702

>>1844697
People still played it, no? If there is a demand for it, the game is sought after because other people have played it and built a hype around it

>> No.1844706
File: 115 KB, 256x252, heartdarkness.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNJIHNKHw_4

>> No.1844709

>>1844647
>Panzer Dragoon American Release date
April 30, 1998
>Final Fantasy 7 American Release date
September 7th, 1997
JP dates are both around the 29-31 of January with FF7 in 1997, and PDS in 1998

Seriously man.. what the fuck.

>is dis nigguh serious.jpeg

>> No.1844768

>>1844623
I know this guy is following the rules and everything but holy hell is he getting irritating just posting YouTube links. I don't want to watch a video tell me about the game. If I wanted to watch a video I'd go to YouTube myself and just look though people's channels that post game play videos. What do YOU have to say about these games?

>> No.1844779

>>1844768
He has nothing to say. Nothing he's posted has any relevance whatsoever to the topic of the thread other than simply being 5th gen games, regardless how obscure or how little an impact they had on the industry.
It's arguably spam, which IS against the rules, but I sure won't be the one to file those potentially "false" reports just in case, so don't take my word for it.

>> No.1846063

>>1844621
> the voices were half decent

Are you joking?

>> No.1846553 [DELETED] 
File: 41 KB, 255x260, hellnight.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScsP6Ym22-U

>> No.1847090 [DELETED] 
File: 41 KB, 255x260, hellnight.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScsP6Ym22-U

>> No.1847180

Diablo?
The whole combat system has been reused so often.

>> No.1847219
File: 8 KB, 256x264, 1397511318452.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1841429

>having the most marketing jews means a game is revolutionary

>> No.1847313

>>1842437
But Deus Ex has bad stealth too.

>> No.1848032

>>1844621
Star Fox 64 isn't very influential. There were plenty of fully voice-acted games before that, and besides, how many arade-y space rail shooters do you see nowadays?

>> No.1848046

>>1848032
>Star Fox 64 isn't very influential
I'm not trying to say it was, what I'm saying is that MGS wasn't that influential for its voice acting.
Plenty of games had that shit.
I pointed out Star Fox 64 because I remember it being fairly heavily praised for it back then.

>> No.1848121

>>1847090
Can someone put this retard out of his misery?

>> No.1848175
File: 60 KB, 304x299, WOTD PCE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here is a bigger influence on survival horror than sweet home and it predates that game as well. Only a faget would think otherwise either that or you got your facts from wikipedia.

>> No.1848221

>>1848046
>Plenty of games had that shit.

Yes, but people are specifically saying that MGS was the first game that had DECENT voice acting on consoles, while the voice acting in star fox 64 and tons of other 5th gen games was just hilariously bad

>> No.1848237

>>1848221
Star Fox 64's voice acting was fine. Not great, but not bad by any mans.

>> No.1848260

>pain in the ass controls
>more of a movie than a game
Apparently so because that's pretty much all we have as "games" these days.

The 5th gen was honestly the beginning of the end, and I have a hard time calling it retro because it really did usher in the modern gaming era of style over substance.

>> No.1848301

>>1840364
As far as telling a story through cinematic cutscenes in video games is concerned Metal Gear Solid may very well be the most influencial game ever eventually leading to modern games basically becoming nothing but slightly interactive movies. Sure there were games that blurred the line between movies and video games before MGS but none of them were succesfull enough to create a new stardard or a "need" for cinematic cutscenes being necessary for telling a story in video games.

>>1841240
I will also forever blame FFVII for popularizing unnecassary FMV cutscenes in video games and the only thing FFVII did that no game before it had done was brainwashing a whole generation of gamers in thinking it was a second coming Jesus. Yes, I was alive and playing it when it came out but because it wasn't my first Final Fantasy and/or RPG I don't have "firsties syndrome" towards it I have noticed that FFVII is a good but utterly mediocre JRPG over the years. However it is a landmark in adverticing and hyping a game enough for it to become one of the best selling games of all time.

Now I like both MGS and FFVII but I'm also convinced that commercial success of them is to blame for "games" like Heavy Rain that have little to no interactivity or gameplay in them being accepted as games.

>> No.1848313

>>1848301
>good but utterly mediocre
What?

>> No.1848374

>>1848313
Most (J)RPG including FFVII from that era were genuinely good games which creates a situation where a good game like FFVII doesn't really stand out from qualitywise when you compare it to the other JRPGs of the time like Grandia, Suikoden II and Wild Arms and as a result is only a "mediocre" game unless you think it's a perfect masterpiece due to the "firsties syndrome" which is described in this review:
http://www.telebunny.net/toastywiki/index.php/Games/FinalFantasyVII

And no I don't agree with the review but he makes a genuinely good and valid point about the firsties syndrome which is painfully obvious as far as majority of FFVII fanboys are concerned.

>> No.1848391

Goldeneye

>> No.1848543

>>1848237
>Star Fox 64's voice acting was fine. Not great, but not bad by any mans.

Are you kidding me? There are parts where people read out directions for yelling as actual words. The voice acting in star fox 64 is so silly and poorly done it's a meme

>> No.1848551

>>1848301
> the only thing FFVII did that no game before it had done

first rpg with snowboarding, checkmate atheists

>>1848374
that review is biased as fuck and is straight up untrue in several aspects

>> No.1848590

>>1840364
Mario 64, MGS, OoT, and GoldenEye.

>> No.1849114

>>1848543
It's a meme because it's very idiosyncratic, not because it's bad. Of course it's not great, but on par with a Saturday morning cartoon

>> No.1849121

>>1848543
>There are parts where people read out directions for yelling as actual words

I've played it a lot (well, Lylat Wars) and never noticed this.

Give some example lines?

>> No.1849129 [DELETED] 
File: 26 KB, 640x480, echonight.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezgWA_3vP_o

>> No.1849213

>>1848121
PLEASE. he's been fucking like every decent thread up and it's irritating as hell

>> No.1849584

>>1849114
Yes, and MGS is the first console 5th gen game that's better then that

>>1849121
train level where you're on the tank, one of the endings has it when the guy crashes into the wall or whatever. he yells out GWAAAAA as an actual word in a very deadpan way instead of just a scream

>> No.1849698

>>1849584
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZeB21sTFdg
>he yells out GWAAAAA as an actual word in a very deadpan way instead of just a scream
No.

>> No.1849774 [DELETED] 
File: 62 KB, 350x263, gunsurvivor.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ-s20GFNuc

>> No.1850634

>sephiroth was a really well laid out character by showing you what he can do, and not just telling you

Bullshit. Sephiroth doesn't do shit compared to Exdeath or Kefka, nor even Zemus really.

>> No.1850729

>>1840364
Most influential? Nope. Best? Probably.

>> No.1850752

>>1842308
Love this game and haven't seen any of the movies.

>> No.1851378

>>1849698
are you not aware that star fox has more then one ending for most levels?

>> No.1851383 [DELETED] 

>>1849774
Eat shit and die.

>> No.1851393 [DELETED] 
File: 29 KB, 200x357, vagrantstory.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GVE4a8ULww

>> No.1851398

>>1850729
I'd argue OoT myself, but having been so young and having both games in my home at the same time - with RE2 also - I'm one spoiled SoB

>> No.1851423

>>1850634
>Exdeath
- Kills gaulf (who is this replaced by his 10 year old granddaughter who is the exact same in every way 15 minutes later)
- Kinda kills gilgamesh
- Otherwise does fucking nothing all game long

>Kefka
- gets his ass kicked and is played the butt of jokes
- gets serious and does some fucked up stuff to mostly unimportant characters
- kills the emperor, replaces him as the final boss and blows up the world (but not enough that it's actually ruined or anything)
- Does fucking nothing the rest of the game besides whine about how much life sucks and how pointless everything is like an emo

>Zemus
>Only appears after 90% of the game is over, making him third in line in a game of "BUT THE TRUE VILLIAN IS ACTUALLY..." reveals
>Dies in a cutscene, actual final boss is some vague bullshit that looks like it came from a phantasy star game

>Sephiroth
- Murders president shinra offscreen and lets you stumble on leftovers, removing what was being set up as the final boss about an hour into the game (and who had already murdered thousands of people and completely shut off access to several parts of midgar you had previously been able to explore)
- Kills the giant snake boss (who unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing, will completely destroy you and who you're supposed to escape) by impaling it on a giant fucking spike
- Flashback in kalm where he's in your party and you get to see just how swole he is, as he kills enemies who will kill cloud in one hit, in one hit
- Mindfucks cloud into beating the shit out of aeris
- Kills aeris out of fucking nowhere (and with no goofy in-engine fight like with gaulf), getting rid of her very strong limit breaks forever and leaving the party running around like a bunch of chickens with their heads removed for most of disk 2 because the only party member that had any idea what the fuck was happening just died.
- Before the spinoffs ruined it, might have actually succeeded in wiping out humanity for good

>> No.1851471

>>1851423
>kinda kills Gilgamesh

No, that's wrong. Dissidia states that Gilgamesh has been traveling the void between dimensions, fighting many battles, looking for Bartz to face him one last time. It explains his appearances in other Final Fantasy games.

>> No.1851478

>>1842498
*unzips dick*

>> No.1851490

>>1851378
Not that guy, but you're referring to this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNUE3JmgIjc

That's definitely not deadpan, its just a low pitched scream (that's the guy who has the same low gravely voice the entire level).

Starfox 64 has a pretty solid VO overall, you're nitpicking here.

>> No.1851496

>>1851423
>using Aeris as a primary party member
>implying every other party member isn't better
She sucks. Her invincibility limit break is broken as shit but its hardly worth the effort to get considering you lose her permenantly. Also FF7 is so fucking easy outside of like 2 bosses that its note ven worth getting ever.

>> No.1851510

>>1840364
If you think about what type of genre they're in and how much influence each had on successive games in the genre; it's really a crap shoot between FF7 and Goldeneye for me.

FF7 - Heavily storyline based 3d RPG, directly influenced every RPG and MMO that would come after. Not many 2d RPG's had as much success afterward (on console) and the idea of a 3d RPG is integral to the creation of MMO's. Which when considered are a huge dollar amount of the industry now.

Then Goldeneye. 1st widely sucessful and unique full 3d multiplayer FPS. I know people who only bought N64's for Goldeneye and played it just for MP. This is directly in line with the mainstream big AAA FPS titles later on; COD, you name it. This is also a huge slice of the entire industry at this point. At least that's how I think of it.

>> No.1851527

>>1851510
>Tfw all these years later and we still have no other FPS's with level/mission structure like GE/PD

What's wrong with developers? PD/GE had some of the best FPS campaigns ever.

Oh wait, shit, there was Timesplitters but that sucked

>> No.1851551
File: 101 KB, 250x236, bloodomen.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdeA3WSL55g

>> No.1851570

>>1851510
>Then Goldeneye. 1st widely sucessful and unique full 3d multiplayer FPS
This is not Quake

>>1851527
There is no way in hell Goldeneye is better than Timesplitters 2/3, I guess you could make a case for Perfect Dark but they're kind of really different in my opinion, Perfect Dark I feel has the better single player and just a few more multiplayer features that would have been welcome in Timesplitters

>> No.1851582

>>1851527
You're a fucking liar, it didn't suck. TS2 is arguably GOAT FPS, but that's not retro.

>> No.1851613

>>1840387
It was rated M for mature anon, you had no business playing that game if you were a child.

>> No.1851630

>>1851570
>Quake
You mean Doom. It's a legendary time-waster in corporate LANs.

>LANs aren't internet
He said multiplayer, not internet.

>> No.1851797
File: 34 KB, 480x272, tenchu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ1SvVqqQT0

>> No.1851814
File: 4 KB, 176x189, 1364878616620.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1851630
Doom isn't full 3D

>> No.1852010

>>1851496
The point is that the most unique party member in the whole game gets a sword in her stomach and you permanently have something removed, and it seriously effects how the story works.

in ff5, the only other game where a party member is dead for good (ff4 killing half your party only for them to be alive again 10 minutes later and guest characters like banon don't count) replaces him with a character who is the exact fucking same and fulfills basically the same role plot wise only she's a little girl instead of an old dude, it's different

>> No.1852012

>>1851814
So isn't your mom

>> No.1852026

um... what about Mario 64 or Quake?

>> No.1852038

>>1840449
>what the hell did half life 1 do? the enemy solider AI is pretty good, but unreal had enemies that were about the same level.

Are you fucking kidding me right now? The industry WON'T stop ripping off Half-Life with its environmental storytelling.

The latest Wolfenstein game feels more like Half-Life than anything id made.

>> No.1852046

>>1840847

I'm pretty certain no one was developing their game with the intention of being like Jurassic Park: Trespasser.

Half-Life on the other hand?

>> No.1852062
File: 14 KB, 222x227, alundra.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7GXOjlshqg

>> No.1852121

>>1840364

I think MGS was the first game to do "Cinematic experience" right. This had been a trend in gaming for years, but many of them were failures. The FMV stuff.

>> No.1852167

>>1852026
what about mario 64

>> No.1852214

>>1852010
why do you feel she's most unique? currently playing through the game right now and so far I feel she's the weakest character stat wise and story wise, unless I just haven't gotten to her ark in the story yet. you can spoil it for me, I don't care. my cousin already told me she was gonna die a few days ago.

>> No.1852258

Final Fantasy VII, because it allowed developers to get away with selling video games based on the graphics of pre-rendered cutscene screenshots.

Thus giving birth to the bullshot.

>> No.1852510

>>1852214
all of your characters are basically the exact same besides what their limit breaks are, and aeris is the only character who has limit breaks more in-depth then "do a lot of damage"

>>1852258
a lot of the advertising in ff7 used in game footage, just without any of the lego people.

also, FMV games were doing that kind of shit first

>> No.1854353

>>1840364
FF7

Nice b8 m8

>> No.1854361

>>1840364
Yeah I suppose it did herald in an era of criminally short games with excessively melodramatic plots.

>> No.1855371
File: 62 KB, 350x263, gunsurvivor.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ-s20GFNuc

>> No.1855396
File: 15 KB, 400x280, obama contempt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1855371
>that one anon who never actually writes anything and does nothing but post links to Youtube longplays and uses images from Wikipedia and TV Tropes.

>> No.1855408

>>1855371
I never understood why this game was so hated, it's pretty great I think.

>> No.1855415

>>1855408
That isn't hated nowhere as much as Gaiden, which I enjoy as much as this one. I actually think people hated it just because it was sold as a Resident Evil game and people get picky whenever any game series diverges from their usual formula. Had this been released as just another light gun shooter and market the shit out the exploration aspect of the game, it may have been better received. Taking out the light gun support in the over seas version was also stupid thanks to Columbine

>> No.1856925

>>1840364
Yes.

>> No.1856962
File: 1.99 MB, 2071x2624, ProjectFirestartElectronicArtsDiskInlay01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1848175
See also pic related.

>> No.1856980

>>1841414
And before those, this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmvWxG2zvs8
>What if... the crash never happened?

>> No.1857345

>>1846063
I'll give it HALF-decent. Not much more, but standards were really low.

>> No.1858082
File: 11 KB, 250x271, klonoa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CRQycJw_do