[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.31 MB, 256x224, 1402866271449.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1800891 No.1800891[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I've been playing tetris attack in my free time for awhile, since I remember messing around with it when I was eight, but never went back to it untill half year ago. I can kind of see the chain patterns and do 4x or maybe 5x combos, but when I see videos like this:
http://youtu.be/_SE6Iwd4Vgo?t=11s
I really have no idea how do they move around so fast and fluidly. Is it because they played this game for really awhile or is it some tool assistance involved?
Also competetive puzzle games general.

>> No.1800934

Anyone?

>> No.1800963

It's all in the brain. You've got to develop "the eye" for chain opportunities (scanning the playfield at breakneck speeds and recognizing a chain, and then you've got to develop the hand-eye-coordination and finger speed to go along with it.

It is something that just comes with practice. A whole fucking lot of it.

Eventually, and I do mean eventually, it just clicks, and you've hit "I don't even see the blocks anymore. All I see is x2, x3, x4, x5..." level. The point where you really start flying.

At least, this theory makes sense in my head combined with my limited skill. It seems to me that the logical development would go in that direction.

>> No.1800968

Don't feel bad; some people are just more autistic than others.

>> No.1801156

>>1800968 I'm incredibly autistic. I love this have so much, but it's actually a tougher game in the series since the blocks fall so fast. It's easier to learn using the GBA title "Dr. Mario & Puzzle League", or the DS version of Puzzle League (not preferred, it lacks a lot of options).

once you learn the combos at a slower speed, you can notch it up and take on harder difficulties, and move back to Tetris Attack.

>> No.1801351

>>1801156
>it lacks a lot of options
Only drop speed settings. Planet Puzzle League is feature-rich otherwise.

>> No.1801371

Haven't watched the video long enough to notice if they're doing it, but when you've been playing this series long enough you can sort of get a feel for how long you need to hold a direction in order for the automovement thing to get your cursor across a large span without needing to mash the same direction repeatedly. That's one trick to handling control at large distances: hold a direction; don't tap.

Everything else is just getting accustomed to the control I guess.

Those guys aren't even that great.

>> No.1802265
File: 1.77 MB, 479x416, strangth.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP, just play more. After a while, you'll develop your pattern-recognizing abilities, as well as timing for all those advanced tricks. If you aren't familiar with the techniques used in some of the chains used in the video you posted, try to do them yourself and get the timing down. If you have a Panel de Pon game where you can make your own puzzles, they really help with practicing those techniques.
>>1801371
Automove is too slow and imprecise for high-level play. Mashing is way better, if you can do it. Where my Takahashi bros at?

>> No.1802305
File: 2.98 MB, 256x224, 125 color 60ms.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1802265
>Automove is too slow and imprecise for high-level play.
If you need to move across a stack quickly automove is your friend. Learning to control it well is quite an acquired technique however. It's something I've honed myself over years and years of playing.

In any event, while I'm an accomplished button masher myself, I could never dream of tapping fast enough with my non-dominant hand, which is why I developed this technique in the first place.

>> No.1802396

>>1802305
I'll retract what I said about automove. It's been a while since I played last.
Automove is quite useful for moving to the opposite edge of the board. If you want to move anywhere other than an edge, you need incredible timing, but it could be useful if you master it. When you stop before hitting the edge, you need to wait and react to where you stopped, rather than just moving as fast as possible(unless you master the timing).
It's also useful for moving to the panels that are close to the edge, because you can normally move immediately after automoving across the board.
While automove can be useful at times, because of the small size of the board, it usually isn't.

>> No.1802825
File: 13 KB, 256x223, 1401431213550.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is so very relevant to my interests. My buddy and I LOVE Tetris Attack. He's always been better than me though, and I want to step up my game. I can normally hit up to 5x pretty consistently, but like OP my problem is fluidity.

My question is though, do you prefer to practise VS. the CPU, or in Endless Mode?

>> No.1803067

>>1802825
Playing versus mode is probably the best. The AI in Tetris Attack gets fairly useless when you get to a certain skill level though.

>> No.1804472

>>1803067
That's kind of what I had been thinking.
I can consistently run through Tetris Attack's "Hard" without continuing, but get hung up on "Very Hard"