[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 56 KB, 640x467, 20214_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1797838 No.1797838 [Reply] [Original]

What do you guys think of this game?

I got it recently and gave it a try, and despite wanting to like it, really, really trying my heart out to bring myself to say it was worth 20$ and is a good entry in the N64 library, I just can't.

It's pretty simple why, too. Dodging anything is a pain because your 3d ship is all hitbox and explosions and bubbles are also all hitbox so you just roll over and over again and there's no point in not bombing every boss to death in under 30 seconds with all these lives that are just handed to you, because you will either end up abusing roll invulnerability to kill it anyway or end up annoyed at getting clipped by the edge of a rocket explosion on the tip of your wing and admit you made a bad purchase.

Not to mention numerous small things like bosses weaving side to side in their last form with core exposed and sometimes moving so far you can't hit them properly (goodbye chain when you're the blue ship) and the general cluttered look of some stages that can be distracting. (giant fans, grates, and pillars just blowing the fuck away like nothing at some sections doesn't help)

I'd like to hear some thoughts. Maybe I'm swinging the opposite way now and deluding myself into thinking it really is a piece of garbage, but every review I watched of it seems to have a sympathetic tone, like they wanted to like it too, it's the only shoot em up released on N64 in the west, things like that.

>> No.1797920

One bump, that's all I got.

>> No.1798315

one more bump

>> No.1798517

It's mediocre. I hate how the enemies don't blow up as soon as you instantly shoot them because it disorients me

>> No.1799294

>>1797838

The PCE Star Soldier games are the best.

>> No.1799313

>>1797838

Its the worst game in the series

How could you not have researched that before you wasted money on it

/thread

>> No.1799342

I never play shmups, and I feel this game is made to ease people like me into that style of game. The levels themselves feel too easy for me, and this was made the most clear when I realised I could make it through to the first boss by just staying in the bottom-center of the screen and holding down the fire button. I tend to get my ass kicked by the bosses, though.

I don't find it to be bad, but I can understand why hardcore shmup fans would be disappointed with this game. Star Soldier on the NES is way more intense.

>> No.1799975

What the fuck does the down-C button do in this game? I can see some sort of engine boost, but I don't feel the ship goes any faster. Is it actually something else?

>> No.1799994

>>1797838
>20$
Holy shit that's a lot to pay up, why would you pay a lot for a game you never played before unless it's popular/rare and you already know about it.

>> No.1799997

>>1799975
Speed change.

>> No.1800431

>>1799997
The speed your ship moves around on screen? Or the speed at which you scroll through the level? I can't tell the difference on my Japanese copy.

>> No.1800650

>>1799994

starting to believe reseller scum isn't the problem but poor-ass american kids living off pocket money

>>1799975

i could never figure this out either, it doesn't seem to do anything