[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 4 KB, 256x224, Mega Man 3.003.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1795948 No.1795948[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I'm 18, want to play all (or most of) the classics I missed, so I came here to humbly ask for your help.
I'll try to be brief: I played:
SMB1/3W;
the NES Mega man except 1/6 (are they worth playing?), Mega man X (found X2 boring, what about the others?),
;
Pokémon;
Zelda 1/3 (not much into 2D Zelda), OOT, waiting for MM remake;
FF4/6/7/8/9, plan to play Tactics;
Chrono Trigger (plan to play Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Skies of Arcadia);
Dragon Quest 4/6/9 (plan to play 5);
All Mega Drive/CD/Dreamcast Sonic games (what about the GG ones?);
Super Metroid (didn't like it although I wanted to, quit halfway through);
stealth games aren't mmy cup of tea (I watched the MG/MGS series on YouTube for the story).

Can't think of any other games I played at the moment.

I'm looking forward to your suggestions.

>> No.1795974

>>1795948
Sanic

Just curious my young friend how did you like OoT?

>> No.1795986

>>1795974
I played the 3DS version and found the dungeons pretty neat, the combat was decent enough (the main thing I dislike about the 2DZeldas), music was pretty charming; things I disliked were the disappointment that was the Hyrule over world, and that stupid owl. Also, if I hear once more "HEY, LiSTEN!" I'm punching someone into his face.

>> No.1796001
File: 77 KB, 426x600, gaiaresUS (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1795948
>mfw no shmups.
Young man,how can you experiment the 80's/90's gaming without even trying a single shmups?

go play Gaiares or something.

>> No.1796003
File: 70 KB, 256x205, ogrebattle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhsacIcTHSE

>> No.1796741
File: 12 KB, 320x224, Ristar_final.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Grab yourself Kega Fusion (or Retroarch if you're into that) and a rom of Ristar. Hands down one of the best Genesis platformers.

>> No.1796753
File: 97 KB, 400x550, Gun Nac Front Box Art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1796001
If OP is interested in shoot 'em ups, I'd highly recommend Gun Nac. Very solid one with the ability to buy upgrades and bombs in between stages. Plus, the game has some outrageous almost Parodies enemies and sense of humor.

Some people consider the later levels a precursor to bullet hell if you're interested in that kind of thing.

>> No.1796803
File: 124 KB, 256x247, Omega_Boost_Coverart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Get picture related. You won't regret it

>> No.1796823

>>1796803
Fellow young adult here.
I can agree with this anons statement.

>> No.1796865
File: 3 KB, 256x232, cf1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's another vote for shoot em ups. Try a few, there are some good ones on most consoles.

>> No.1796880

>>1796865
>crisis force
>gradius
>darius
>r type
run through as many of these titles as you can, specifically r type 3: the third lightning, crisis force and darius gaiden

>> No.1796884
File: 157 KB, 500x375, thisGUYgetsit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1796753
Gun-Nac is Awesome, Def must play on the Nes.

Kinda expensive, so stick to emulators but if you can afford it, it rocks!

>> No.1796905

OP: Yes, Mega Man 1 is good and 6 the best in the series (if not the best Mega Man period).

Game Gear Sonic games are good. Well, 1, Chaos, Triple Trouble are, and Tails Adventure is a 9/10 game.

There's a shit ton of wonderful games out there.

Someone else already recommended shoot-em-ups. I may be spoiling you by pointing you to these three, but for good old shooters, try:

Soldier Blade
Einhänder
And, from the console with a ton of good shooters, the best one in HISTORY - Thunder Force IV.

And the reason why it's so good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psSamm93uCE

>> No.1796915

OP, you might try Mega Man X4. I'm not a huge fan of X2 or 3, I felt the same as you did about 2 towards both of them, but X4 was really enjoyable for me. Watch out for those cutscenes though, they're... Uh, hilarious?
As for MM 1/6, I would give 6 a shot. 1 is rough.
Also, try ecco the dolphin maybe if you want a challenge

>> No.1796961

>>1795986
I think the memes got to you, Navi isnt nearly that annoying since she can be ignored and only says it once in a while. The fucking owl you mentioned is ten times more annoying for having to put you through slow-ass text, and then defaulting to "listen again"

>> No.1797003

>>1795948
You should play Shinobi III, Outrun, Space Harrier, NiGHTS Into Dreams (there is a recent remake for modern platforms), Daytona USA, Jet Set Radio, and all of the Panzer Dragoon games you can get (excluding the Game Gear one).

>> No.1797009

>>1795948
Do you play PC games?

>> No.1797205
File: 323 KB, 960x908, BO1-Cover-PS1[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1795948
Doom! Nobody has said Doom yet, probably because it goes without saying. Doom has been my favorite for the better part of twenty years, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. It's fast, it's violent, and you're constantly mowing down hellspawn.

Also, the first two Legacy of Kain games: Blood Omen and Soul Reaver. Blood Omen is kind of like the top-down Zelda games, only it's very grimdark and M-rated, and it has a more elaborate story. The equipment is really well balanced, too, in that none of your old stuff ever becomes obsolete; a certain setup will be better suited to one area, but your starting equipment may actually be the best option in the next area. Soul Reaver is more of a 3rd person puzzle adventure game; you travel between the worlds of the living and of the dead, and the landscape will twist and warp, sometimes allowing you to reach places you couldn't in the physical world. You also have entirely different abilities and limitations in each plane of existence. Fighting is even kind of a puzzle; since most enemies are immortal vampires, you will need to find environmental hazards to impale/burn/drown them with, or they just keep getting back up.

These were a big fucking deal to me as a teenager, and I still play through Soul Reaver every year or so. Blood Omen I play a little less because it's so long, but it might be the better game. Fuck, now I need to do this whole series from the start again.

>> No.1797217
File: 60 KB, 492x335, earthwormjim.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93osCGBFG2k

>> No.1797264

OP, stop what you are doing and play ffv now.

>> No.1797384

Whoa, so many recommendations! About shmups, thanks but I am not really into them.
About FFV, it's really hard for me to go through a JRPG if it doesn't have a good story; I gave it a try but didn't get much further. Same goes with Tactics Ogre (I also suck at SJRPGs, could never get into Fire Emblem for example).
Ecco fascinates me but I really don't get what I'm supposed to do. Care to explain?
Nights is definitely in my must-play list.
Added Ristar, Shinobi and is Gunstar Heroes good?
About Jet Set Radio, I gave it a try but the controls...otherwise it's got style and a groovy soundtrack.
Also, I should add I've only got an Android phone (which I use for emulators) and an Xbox 360. I don't have much money for games, hence why I play on emulators :p
I'm saving money for a 2DS and Alpha sapphire, if I had the money I'd buy a PC for the indie games alone.

>> No.1797395

Forgot to add, I played Doom.
Also Earthbound and Mother3. is the first Mother worth playing?

>> No.1797514

>>1797395
It is worth playing, but you should go through the the other two first. Mother is very grindy even with the patches that give twice the EXP

>> No.1797818

>>1797384
Gunstar Heroes is great! Really good feeling melee attacks and throws despite being a run'n'gun

Other good Genesis/Mega Drive games: Castlevania Bloodlines
Contra: Hard Corps (Japanese version because they made the US version unfairly hard)
Rocket Knight Adventures (also on SNES but they're different games)
Streets of Rage 3 (some people don't like cool weird synth music compared to the other 2, but it plays better)
Monster World 4 (solid, cute platformer)
Thunder Force 4 (Sidescrolling shmup)
Shinobi 3
Shadowrun
Vectorman

Darius Gaiden (saturn) and G-Darius (ps1) are some good shumps,

You're totally right about Jet Set Radio, don't worry about it

>> No.1797836

>>1795948
hey OP, i made a thread similar to this not long ago. you should read here

https://archive.foolz.us/vr/thread/1778640/

>> No.1797853

>>1795948
if you are waiting for an MM remake then you are going to be waiting forever. though its not nearly as good as OoT so you can skip it.
i know you said you arent in to 2D but i highly suggest you play Oracle of seasons.

also you should play super mario bros 2, gradius any/all of them, shenmue, demon's crest, megaman 2 and 7, at least pokemon gold, banjo kazooie, star fox 64, all f-zeros, and castlevania 1, 3 and 4

>> No.1798248
File: 131 KB, 417x750, ghostsweepermikami.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzOj6BgpdUM

>> No.1798976

>>1797384
>not liking shmups.

you are an idiot OP.

>> No.1799002

>>1797514
My comment wasn't very clear, but I played them already (just yesterday I replayed Mother 3's final boss, then proceeded to cry for 274th time).
BTW, how do I quote multiple people in one post and select the specific part of their comment I want to quote/write something else in place of their post?
Maybe it's my browser (UC browser), but I can't figure our how to do those things

>> No.1799013

>>1797853
Don't want to be rude, but I said I already played all Mega man NES games but 1/6, all Pokémon games (as a child and still now I'm a huge fan, though I'm not into meta). I tried F-Zero and Starfox for the SNES and they destroyed me, might give it another try.
Banjo Kazooie is on my must-play list along with conker's bad fur day, Castlevania 1/2/3/SofN too.

>> No.1799020

>>1798976
Why is he an idiot? A lot of people don't like entire genres, including shmups. Is shmups a holy cow genre?

>> No.1799021

>>1797853
Also Shenmue, both 1 and 2.
BTW, I'm not much in FPS games but what about Half-Life 1/2 (don't know if they count as retro games)? I have the orange box on my 360 and I loved Portal (I'm gonna get Portal 2 soon), but I haven't played the first Half-Life and I don't know if I'll enjoy 2 (though I'm sure there's a reason for the "Half-Life 3 confirmed" meme

>> No.1799026
File: 206 KB, 220x410, popeye.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Did you know Technos made a Popeye game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtHY7ahoGwg

>> No.1799032

>>1799013
Not including 4 or bloodlines
Pleb

>> No.1799045

>>1799032
From what people (even in RL) told me, 4 is basically a prettier 1 and didn't hear good things about Bloodlines. could you elaborate?

>> No.1799056

>>1799045
Not just a prettier 1. It is a 1 with good controls, though the multi direction whip makes the game easier than the average Classicvania

>> No.1799069

>>1796884
I'd suggest hunting down the famicom version, actually. I got a copy of it for $15.

>> No.1799090

>>1799045
Bloodlines is legit fantastic and I never got why most people overlook it.

>> No.1799349

>>1795948

what game is that op?

>> No.1799381

>>1799349
look at the filename you useless nigger

>> No.1799952

Played a level of Mega man 6 (the first one in the up left corner) with the ice robot and O.O was it easy!
Is the game that easy?

>> No.1800038

>>1799952 Mega Man 6 is a much easier game than the first 5, but it's got fantastic music and art

>> No.1800049
File: 49 KB, 250x347, bustershiddentreasure.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd5ZvFnUmps

>> No.1800119

>>1795948
6 I'd say is definitely worth playing for its interesting thematic design. It probably has the best-designed Robot Masters and most aesthetically themed stages in the series.

>> No.1800328

>>1800119
Yeah, I'm enjoying it so far. Is the fact that every robot seems to fit into some ethnical stereotype related to the World Robot Tournament?

I'm still wondering whether I should play 1 or not. It apparently is glitchy as hell.

Also, can anyone give me an overview on Demon's Crest? Is it worth playing?

>> No.1800335

>>1800328
DC is a non linear sidescroller with a number of upgrades that leads to "Metroid" style exploration of levels.

>> No.1800368 [DELETED] 

>>1796961
Mash A, A, A, A, whatever whatever A, A
Did you get all that?
>Yes

You again? Mash A A A A ok ok ok A
Do you want me to say that again?
Mash A
>No

FUCK.

>> No.1800397

>>1800328
Yeah, every Robot Master is based off a country -- Tomahawkman for America, Yamatoman for Japan, etc.

As to 1, it has glitches, but only if you choose to use them. I didn't encounter any glitches the first time I played it, and the only glitch I've encountered since is the incredibly-useful Select Glitch, which lets you do insane amounts of damage against boss enemies by repeatedly pausing and unpausing the game via select (the start pause doesn't work). The main thing I'd say goes against MM1 is it's a bit difficult, but if you're having trouble against Elecman or Yellow Devil just use the Select Glitch and they'll go down like a bitch. I'd say 1 is worth playing, as long as you're okay with the difficulty.

Really all the Megaman games I'd say are worth playing besides &Bass, but some people besides me really like &Bass so you might find enjoyment in that as well.

>> No.1800413
File: 73 KB, 256x355, stimpysinvention.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_RFF2XXbVQ

>> No.1800416 [DELETED] 

>>1795948
I saw you played a lot of turn based rpgs
If you enjoy those check out some of the dw series, i suggest starting with the gbc remake of 3. There's also the suikoden series, legend of the dragoon, phantasy star series. I also noticed you didn't play ff3, that's a great one that you should give a shot. I like the job system in the ds/android remake much better, but the graphics are a little weird.
A lot of snes games out there for you to check out still. Including things like yoshi's island, donkey kong country series, earthbound, terrinigma, breath of fire, bull bullet gun, legend of the seven stars, lufia/2, and metal max returns just to name a few.
And this is just a short list based on what you've said you played.

>> No.1800419

>>1800397
Plantman is based on Hueland

>> No.1800420 [DELETED] 

>>1795948 (OP)
If you enjoy those check out some of the dw series, i suggest starting with the gbc remake of 3. There's also the suikoden series, legend of the dragoon, phantasy star series. I also noticed you didn't play ff3, that's a great one that you should give a shot. I like the job system in the ds/android remake much better, but the graphics are a little weird.
A lot of snes games out there for you to check out still. Including things like yoshi's island, donkey kong country series, earthbound, terrinigma, breath of fire, ball bullet gun, legend of the seven stars, lufia/2, and metal max returns just to name a few.

>> No.1800429

>>1795948
A lot of snes games out there for you to check out still. Including things like yoshi's island, donkey kong country series, earthbound, terrinigma, breath of fire, ball bullet gun, legend of the seven stars, lufia/2, and metal max returns just to name a few.

>> No.1800448

>>1800328
I always assumed it was because each robot came from a different country that happened to put their aesthetics into it. Sort of like a team mascot, it is for a robot tournament, so bonus points for style and flair.

>> No.1800506
File: 135 KB, 750x752, br.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1800419
Wait, really? That's pretty nice

>> No.1802882

>>1800429
Isn't Suikoden a SJRPG? I suck at those (for this reason I could never get into Fire Emblem). Legend of Dragoon is on my must-play list along with Lufia II and legend of the 7 stars, terranigna wasn't my cup of tea :( and FF3 (the actual 3rd one) was just frustrating IMO. I've already played EarthBound and Mother 3, I'm playing Yoshi's Island and I've started DKC. About Ball Bullet Gun and Metal Max Returns, could you give me an overview on them? I'm in a hurry and have no internet at home.
>>1800397

>> No.1802889

>>1800397
For some reason my precious post hasn't my reply to you. Thanks for your post, now I'm definitely gonna play 1!
Have you played Legends (much different from the usual MM games), Zero and ZX? Are they worth playing?

>> No.1802901

>>1800429
Forgot to ask, should I play Phantasy Star1/2/3 before 4, or just play 4?

>> No.1802904

>>1802882
ball bullet gun is srpg, it's advanced wars for snes. Metal max returns is a turn based rpg with fuckin tanks. You get to upgrade and customize your tank, sometimes you get to fight in it, sometimes you fight out of it. It's really good just grab the english translation unless you're japanese And suikoden is actually turn based. You get a huge cast of characters in it, it's pretty boss.
There are also a lot of games that aren't as polished but are fun as fuck. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers for snes is super fun, one of the bosses is made of eyeballs. Micky mania is pretty great too, for genesis/snes it's surprisingly challenging.

>> No.1802906

>>1802901
You can play them out of order but i started with the first one. There's a lot of rng in the first one with getting lucky and not instantly dying in your first fight. So if you do start with 1 expect that.

>> No.1802909

>>1795948

Genesis:
Mutant League Football, Sonic, The Haunting Starring Poulterguy, Shining Force,

NES: Contra, Bionic Commando, Double Dragon, Mike Tyson's Punchout,

SNES: Earthbound, Actraiser, Super Ghouls n Ghosts, Rock n Roll Racing, Zombies Ate My Neighbors

>> No.1802910

If you're into action rpg's crusaders of might and magic for psx is fucking amazing. It's one of the best games there is imo and I never see anyone talk about it.
I'm playing through legend of legia right now for psx, it's a turn based rpg and it's very unique.

>> No.1802916 [DELETED] 

Shinobi 3 for nes and revenge of shinobi for genesis are sick. Give them a go and git gud.
The streets of rage series on genesis is also amazing, especially if you're going to be playing with other people. Golden axe falls under the same category as does king of dragons for snes.

>> No.1802969

OK, I seem to have quite a few games to play on 8bit/16bit consoles. Feel free to keep recommending other ones, but what games are worth playing for the PSX/N64/Dreamcast?

Played Crash/Spyro/FF games/Tomb Raider/other games I'm not remembering right now for the PSX.

Played M64/Retro games/Zelda for the N64.

Played Sonic Adventure games/plan to play Shenmue 1/2 and Skies of Arcadia for the Dreamcast.

>> No.1803029

>>1802969

PSX: Twisted Metal 2, Silent Hill, Parasite Eve,

>> No.1803072

>all Mega Drive/CD/Dreamcast Sonic games (what about the GG ones?)

Skip Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic Spinball, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Drift, Sonic Blast and I can't even remember other bad titles. Instead, play Sonic Pocket Adventure for Neo Geo Pocket, it was the latest real good Sonic title IMO (yeah, I think it's better than any of the Advance titles).

>> No.1803116

>>1803029
Silent Hill, Resident Evil... I'd love to play those games but I'd be haunted by nightmares. A guy I know told me about some parts of the Silent Hill games and I nearly sh*t my pants lol.

>> No.1803121

>>1803072
Played 3D Blast and it was indeed pretty bad (though DAT OST, no wonder Adventure remixed some of it). Never knew there was a NeoGeo Sonic game :O Gotta check it out at the speed of sound!

>> No.1803424
File: 25 KB, 400x330, 1290730005522.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1795948
>has never played a single Donkey Kong Country game
You're in for a treat, OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0cUcGpjrss

Also, Crash Bandicoot. Mega Man 1, 6, X4, and X5 are definitely worth playing, and probably give X2 another try.

>> No.1803727

>>1803072
>>1803121
I like 3D Blast

>> No.1803732

>>1803424
>>1803424
I'm almost done with 6, will play 1 after that, then will play the NES Castlevania and the other NES games.
I'm looking forward to playing the DKC games, the music I heard in Brawl was superb. Crash and Spyro were part of my childhood (along with Pokémon, Mega man 2, the original SMB, Sonic games).

>> No.1803736

>>1803727
To each their own, I loved Heroes for example.

>> No.1805496
File: 57 KB, 307x299, worldillusion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha5nbuIRb9Y

>> No.1805527
File: 18 KB, 388x266, scan_pochette.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1805496
My first Genesis game, i love you anon. That ending theme is god tier. I'm posting this as a recommendation. Some people prefer the Amiga version but in all honesty it only has better color over the SNES version, the gameplay isn't as forward and direct as this one.
>>1803116
If you're even a little adjusted to horror themes you shouldn't be actually scared by any means from those games.

>> No.1805654

>>1805527
Trust me, I'm more scared by zombies than I would care to admit. I couldn't play The Last Of Us because of that.
And Silent Hill would scar me for life lol.

>> No.1805721

must-play 16-bit no one has mentioned:
secret of mana
seiken densetsu 3

if we're getting into 32bit+ era
symphony of the fucking night?
xenogears obv
vagrant story
parasite eve
soul reaver
and i think alundra is worth a serious fucking look but w/e

if we're drifting into 64bit+
zone of the enders 2
ikaruga
silent hill 2
metroid prime
viewtiful joe
okami
original devil may cry
shinobi
god hand
but now we're gradually leaving the /vr/ era

as for PC you should have at least played like, diablo 1 and 2
deus ex
system shock 1/2

it sounds like horror games might kill you though

>> No.1805730

>>1805721
oh also holy fuck
terranigma
TERRANIGMA
and i guess illusion of gaia/soulblazer

really you should drop every other suggestion in this thread and either play terranigma or seiken densetsu

>> No.1805735

>>1805730
or if in your heart you know you love insane JRPG stories in which you kill god or w/e you should just play xenogears and get it done

>> No.1805816
File: 38 KB, 800x600, demonscrest.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhTnJef0pt0

>> No.1805834

>>1805816
PRO suggestion, good taste

>> No.1805863
File: 45 KB, 357x233, 1401720570546.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1795948
You're probably not 18 if history shows, but I'll cut you some slack since I actually just turned 18 a few months ago, and I'm just going to assume you're like 15 or something. I have been collecting vidya for about 5 or 6 years with whatever money my jobless underaged ass could manage (mostly from working mexican wages doing construction work) and I thought I would share some of the shit I have played with someone who was in a similar position as I was years ago.
A few random great games to play:
>Darkseed because muh Giger and Mike Dawson is a faggot, and Darkseed 2 because it sucks but is fun
>Quake because Quake is life and Quake is love. Quake 2 is okay but not the same, and Quake 3 is an alright Deathmatch game but it has no singleplayer.
>Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon/Goemon's Great Adventure/LOTMN as well as import the 4 SFC games and the 4 PS1 games along with the 2 Famicom games, and maybe the RPGS whenever you learn moon (which you will if you ever want to go far in this hobby)
>Famicom Detective Club II because I love that game even though you will have to emulate it to play in english
>Jojo on Dreamcast because that game is a godsent among fighters
>Rocket Knight Adventures play on Hard unless you are a pussy
>Dynamite Headdy because muh Treasure, play Gunstar Heroes and McDonalds too.
>Gradius, Gradius 2, Gradius 3, Salamander, and Gradius Gaiden. The MSX Nemisis stuff is supposed to be good but I haven't played it. Gaiden is an import.
>DoDonPachi because pew pew
>MOTHERFUKKIN GUILTY GEAR
>Princess Maker 2 because my daughteru is the best
also play pic related

>> No.1805895
File: 28 KB, 500x341, 12hours.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1805863
cont.
>SHOGO Mobile Armor Division while mixed on actual quality is a really interesting "Just like my japanese animes!" experience
>Doom of course, Doom II as well although the quality isn't consistent
>YU-NO: A girl who chants love at the bound of this world is a must play for anyone who likes eroge/adventure games/visual novelish shit. Kind of a babby's first retro one but it's a great game.
>Adventure Island is nothing but fun mixed with "choose your favorite naughty word." The 2.5D Japanese PS2 remake is also very good spoiler for not retro
>Shadow Tower is a really cool spinoff to Kings Field (which I have never played Kings Field but I will eventually)
>Wai Wai World 1 and 2 because KONAMI MAAAAAN
>PepsiMan since we are speaking of MAAANs. I only emulated it but my friend has a copy the lucky bastard ;_; He also owns LSD and he's like fucking 16 or something and probably has a bigger collection than most of you here PM is an import and a 50ish dollar one so keep that in mind if going for physical.
>Duke 3D/Shadow Warrior/Blood (the build engine games) There is no source port for Blood so be wary if you were looking to play these in one.
>Lagrange Point is a cool Famicom RPG with super dee duper bitchin ass 10 channel sound thanks to the VRC7 chip. You will need moon knowlege for this one as it is an import RPG.
>MOTHERFUCKING GOD DAMN RIP AND TEARING TOTAL ANNIHILATION. Need I say more? I love that game more than you will ever know
Pic related if you want to learn more about video james since you are new here.

>> No.1805940
File: 91 KB, 788x1080, IT'SCOOOOOLGUUUUUY.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1805895
cont. again It's late and I feel like talking about random video games that are cool, so go figure
>TRUXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXTON The X's I added should give a good explanation on how eXtreme it is. The PC-Engine one has better music in my opinion but I have never actually played that version.
>Recca is a schmup everyone should play but only richfags should buy (the genre is already one of the most expensive in general, but 600 bucks for a cart is a lot of dosh) Emulate it dawg.
>Cool Spot is a really cool game with the 7-up logo who has really disproportioned fingers and hands (pic related) The Genesis version does what Nintendont It's the only version I have played but I like the music more in the Genesis one
>Team Fortress Classic is neato although I slightly prefer the original QTF mod for Quake if we are talking about LAN play
>Fighting Vipers takes the 1337ness of Virtua Fighter and adds super punk rock motherfuckers beating each other up. I would recommend a Japanese Pro Virtua Stick for this one ladies and gentlemen because this game has MOTHERFUCKKIN PEPSIMAN IN ITAt least the Japanese version does. I don't know if it's in the American version or not due to me only owning the Japanese version
>The Tekken games for MUH SUPERIOR LIMB BASED WOMBAT
>Super Mario-o RPG, that is the game that is just for me. When I play the game I get lost in a maze, and before I know it I am stuck in Geno's Maze!In all seriousness though, nobody ACTUALLY gets stuck in Geno's maze
>Kirby Super Star/Dreamland 3/Dreamland/Adventure/64. I briefly emulated Dreamland 2 once but don't remember much. I own the rest though and have completed all of them.
>Castlevania/Simon's Quest/Dracula's Cures
Castlevania 1 is my favorite but 3 is near the same level of good imo. Simon's Quest is the worst of the 3 but is not a bad game despite what the AVGN kiddies will tell you.

>> No.1805990
File: 114 KB, 612x612, 1404428429059.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1805940
cont. once again my friends.
>Rayman is awesome. My friend says the Saturn version is the best and the Jaguar version is really interesting but very expensive (he payed a good chunk of dosh for a complete copy of that version back in 2011.) I speak from experience of the PS1 version.
>After Burner is fun with lots of shooty tooty point and rootying in the sky with faux 3D. Don't have a Master System? Play MIG-29 Soviet Fighter by Codemasters on the NES. It's like Top Gun but good.
>Comix Zone is a totally radical beat em up on the Sega Genesis. It was so cool it was even featured on a Lunchables promo tape!
>Fzero is awesome and so are it's ROMhacks. Fzero X is even more awesome and so are it's ROMhacks. Fzero GX is super super 1337 smack a bitch and blow your nose on sandpaper awesome but I can't talk about it here, and there are no ROMhacks
>Delta Force is awesome but only if you are super tacticool. I have no idea if this is retro or not but it does run on Windows 95.
>Longbow Gold is a dogfight game that all of you motherfuckers need to try on LAN
>Street Fighter 2 is awesome and I am heavily biased toward the Genesis version.
>Dong Country is great. I have not played 2 or 3 but I really want to play 2 someday. Dong 64 is also a fun collectathon.
>Die Hard Trilogy need I say more? Go play that shit right now it's tight.
>Bomberman Hero and Bomberman The Second Attack are great. The Second Attack is my favorite, but it's really expensive. I'm lucky to own a cart. It's one of my favorite N64 games. I have not played Bomberman 64 or the Japanese Bomberman 2001 but my friend has those and says they are both great.
>Ghouls and Ghosts is hands down one of the best Genesis games. THE SNES ONE FUCKING CHOKES ON /d/'s GENITALIA AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS. The slowdown is unbearable in that version.

Pic related if you want to get into collecting OP

>> No.1808135
File: 19 KB, 300x332, yoshisisland.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axsX8Yitpy0

>> No.1809028
File: 38 KB, 429x300, Dkc_snes_boxart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1795948
I'm gonna post 4 that I loved, for SNES.

>> No.1809034
File: 254 KB, 800x570, SNES-Actraiser1-vgo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1809028
2/4

>> No.1809038
File: 77 KB, 640x445, 1261328614-00.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1809034
3/4

>> No.1809040
File: 234 KB, 475x347, Soul Blazer (USA)-noscale.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1809038
4/4

>> No.1809080
File: 156 KB, 640x480, mouthscream.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NhtCxrmAEw

>> No.1809101

Solid recommendations thread, most everything I would recommend has already been posted.

That said, GTA 1/2 are good, and I've heard London is also very good though I've yet to play that one.

Rayman 2 is very good, though I strongly suggest avoiding the PSX version.

And I'd like to reiterate part of >>1802889 and say that the Legends games are really good. I find 2 to be superior, but if you like it then 1 is very competent. Just don't play it expecting something like the classics/X.

>> No.1809104

>>1809101
>And I'd like to reiterate part of >>1802889 and say that the Legends games are really good. I find 2 to be superior, but if you like it then 1 is very competent. Just don't play it expecting something like the classics/X.

Fuck I can't read. Yes, they're very worth playing, just know that they're action/adventure games and not platformers.

>> No.1809125

>>1805990
>THE SNES ONE FUCKING CHOKES ON /d/'s GENITALIA AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS. The slowdown is unbearable in that version.

Um not really, unless you think the hydra fight is the whole game.

>> No.1809602

Poor Emulator here.
Over the past couple years I've gotten a pretty sizable library of games and while some I haven't played in depth most of them I've atleast given a shot. And so since I agree with some of your suggestions, don't agree with others, and haven't heard of a few of these I'm going to post my list of favorite games for each respective System I emulate mainly.

NES:
-Blaster Master
>Found its versitility interesting. Not every NES game had so many different modes or ways to play. The pace is nice due to the mobility of the tank.
-Castlevania
>Not much to say about it that hasn't already been said. Its hard as balls but a wonderful playthrough. I like to start it up just to see how far I can get on a single life and usually end up getting farther each time.
-Castlevania 2: Simons Quest
>Pretty much most of what everyone says about 2 is true...but a lot of it is nitpicking. The worst part in my opinion is the common "where the fuck do I go" gameplay that sours games like the first Zelda and Metroid for me. However it atleast deserves an attempted playthrough. The music Is pretty awesome.
-Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse
>Some people harold this one as the best on the NES, and while I'd be inclined to agree based on content...I honestly prefer the Original just for overall feel.
-Clash At Demonhead
>I've never actually gotten very far on it but just the games overall style is fun and charming.
-Gun Nac
>One of if not the best Shmup I can suggest on the NES. The pure amount of weaponry you get is what makes it worthwhile.
-Galaga 2
>I honestly just advice skipping Galaga because 2 is better in my opinion
-Jackel
>Just pretty fun and worth adding to your NES list
-Kabuki: Quantum Fighter
>Apparently this one is fairly obscure and the play style is a lot like Ninja Gaiden. I actually played this before NG and while its challenging its enjoyable and the anime style it has is quite awesome.

>> No.1809620

>>1809602
>>Cont.

-Little Samson
>Im aware of this ones obscurity and rarity...that said there is no reason not to emulate it and experience how fucking awesome it is.
I can't adiquetely explain it really...action platformer doesn't do it justice. The style, gameplay, practically everything about this game makes it a runner for my absolute favorite NES game of all time.
-Mega Man 2
>Considered that all the NES Mega Man games are worth playing I'm just listing my favorite.
-Monster in my Pocket
>Apparently another slightly obscure but ultimately fun game. Basically its what happens when you take Castelvania and Toy Story and put them together.
-Ninja Gaiden
>Again all 3 are very worth playing, but be ready to die. A lot.
-Shatterhand
>Another slightly obscure yet fucking awesome game. Action Platformer in which your weapons of choice are your fucking FISTS!!
-Vice: Project Doom
>A lot like Shatterhand and Spy Hunter. Seriously awesome game and another in the running for my favorite NES title.
-Zelda 2: Adventure of Link
>I honestly prefered this one to the original...which even I find odd...the original was okay, but its confusion factor killed it for me...this one I found more playable albiet a bit similar to FF...which I guess was a thing.

Excuse my slowness but I'm on a mobile and having trouble getting the captcha to stop calling me spam...

>> No.1810183
File: 207 KB, 256x364, ducktales2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duVLzMBYh_s