[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 75 KB, 700x720, 1317461-319af418c9aa1c46a70c5010a033363f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1775826 No.1775826[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What are your thoughts on Castlevania 64?
I just finished the game with Carrie, got the bad ending, it seems it took too long, to be honest I wasn't rushing my way and just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything, it seems I still missed the secret item to unlock the Maria costume, damn it all.
I thought that for the most part it's a good game, considering it was a time 3D action games were still in diapers. The main problem is the camera, and most of my deaths were by falling into pits. I think the game's best levels were those with minimum to zero platforming and more focused on exploration/adventure (for example level 3 and level 5, which are the longest levels in the game), the infamous Nitro segment isn't even hard, just avoid jumping until you place the nitro in its place.
The most frustrating levels had to be the Tower of Sciencie and especially the Tower of Sorcery (really, a level that's a vertical platforming section with floating ice platforms that appear and disappear? that's just evil, but on the bright side, they're really short levels), I was also somewhat disappointed by the clock tower, it was too short and easy.
I would have died a lot of times during boss fights, but since you can heal by using items that makes things a lot easier. I also didn't spend enough money so I didn't got to fight Renon, another thing to look forward on my next playthrough.

I think I will start a new game with Reindhardt, to check out his exclusive levels, and see if I can make it in time to fight Dracula's real form this time. I have unlocked hard mode, but honeslty I don't know if I want to try it, enemies are annoying enough on Normal, and the most difficult things in the game are still gonna be hard (the platforming)... anybody played this on hard? do I gain something other than enemies that take longer to kill?

>> No.1775830

I couldn't get off the ship at the start and turned it off forever

>> No.1775849
File: 162 KB, 780x1035, cv64carrieback.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1775830

That's the 2nd game, Legacy of Darkness, unfortunately I don't have that game, the one I'm talking about is the first one, simply titled Castlevania (refered commonly as CV64)

>> No.1775967

More like Castlevania 60-snore

>> No.1775972

>>1775826
Hard really isn't much harder. I think enemies are a touch stronger and there are a few more of them.

That said, playing as Reinhardt pretty much is hard mode. He's hard to hit with and his unique levels were much more difficult than Carrie's. I would suggest either doing Reinhardt on normal first (you don't get anything except bragging rights for beating it on hard) or doing Carrie on hard mode.

Ignore the part about hard mode being basically the same in Legacy of Darkness though. Bosses get ramped up to 11 on hard mode in that game.

Also Carrie's special costume is at the end of Tower of Sorcery. You need to cross an invisible bridge to another platform off in the distance.

>> No.1775994

>>1775967
?

>>1775972
Thanks, I guess I'll do Reinhardt normal, then re-do Carrie on hard to unlock the Maria costume.

>> No.1777129

>>1775826
>What are your thoughts on Castlevania 64?

It was unplayable. Serious.

This is coming from someone who loved awkward jumps and shitty 3d platforming exploration like Tomb Raider 1 & 2.

>> No.1777206

>>1777129
>This is coming from someone who loved awkward jumps and shitty 3d platforming exploration like Tomb Raider 1 & 2.

The controls aren't even that bad. As OP said the only real problem is the camera and only during certain parts. It's hardly unplayable, especially if you're used to early 3D games like Tomb Raider.

>> No.1779372

>>1777129
>It was unplayable
git gud? Seriously, outside of "I never use R to turn the camera" what was so unplayable about it?

>> No.1779376

>>1775826
I didn't like the controls, and it didn't feel like a Castlevania game at all. It just felt like a poorly-designed action platformer that stole some ideas from Castlevania, and ran with it. I rented it a long time ago, and ended up giving up on it before I finished it. Not really worth playing through.

>> No.1779410

Why are Maria's tits so big?

>> No.1779416
File: 281 KB, 1600x1200, cv641405299541381.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1779372

Besides using R to lock-on/turn the camera, a lot of people also didn't realize that you can evade attacks by pressing jump+left/right/back, fighting vampires and bosses became a lot less frustrating when you get used to that.

>>1779376

It definitely feels different from the regular Castlevania because it's a 3D game, so that's understandable.
How long did you made it? the first 2 levels are kind of bland, the first level specifically is very bland, outside of an atmospheric beginning with the storm and the ray striking down the tree. But level 3 (The Villa) was one of the highlights of the game for me, it also helped that it was more like a mix of survival horror and action instead of platforming. The only real, actual problem I have with CV64 is the camera during platforming parts.

>> No.1779423

>>1779416
I don't really remember how far I got, but I didn't play it very long. I know for a fact I didn't go through the nitro part, though.

>> No.1779497

>>1779423
You may want to give it another chance. >>1779416
is right about the first two levels being pretty bland. The game starts picking up around level 3 and the game starts getting challenging beyond the magical nitro sequence. It's a shame that all of my favorite levels seem to be the ones that are character specific.

Anyway, if you still don't like it then that's totally fine, but I would recommend a full game run before passing judgment (although judgment sucked as far as I'm concerned)

>> No.1781421

>>1779497
Eh, I think it's too late to give it another shot. I don't even know if my old N64 works anymore, a copy of the game would cost more than I want to spend on it, and N64 emulation is...yeah.

>> No.1781592

>>1781421
Well if the opportunity arises. If you have an N64 controller adapter for your PC the emulation is pretty decent aside from a few minor graphical hiccups here and there. It's really weird on a non-N64 controller though.

>> No.1783030
File: 21 KB, 480x360, robm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1779410

Are you complaining?