[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.54 MB, 3940x2100, Sharp-Twin-Famicom-Console.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1773071 No.1773071[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Alright, so here's the story: My local Hard-off (Japanese recycle shop) currently has a Twin Famicom, with cables and stuff, in decent shape, for about 6000 yen, or $60. I don't know of any local stores that sell the disks and I already have a Famicom. On the other hand, said Famicom has a pretty crappy jailbar habit and it would be nice to have video output that's not over RF.

Can anyone regale me with tales of this system? Is it worth getting it? Presumably I could get disks for it in the future, although I may have to go out to a big city or ebay for it.

The going price for a regular FDS is probably around 4000 yen/$40 but it's another thing I can't buy locally. What do, friends?

>> No.1773078

>>1773071
>AV mod Famicom
>Play FDS games off N8 Everdrive

>> No.1773091
File: 65 KB, 296x439, 1376472296106.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You've traveled to another country and are presumably on a decent enough wage there that you can piss away money on 8bit vidya systems, but trekking to another city for software would be too much effort?

Fucking really?

It's not in their junk bins, so you know it's going to function well for a good long while

>> No.1773153
File: 24 KB, 450x337, model_an-505-rd_small.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'd say go for it. But the one in your pic is ugly as shit. Red ftw.

There's not a huge amount of good games for the FDS but it's probably still worth having.

>> No.1773214

>>1773091
It's not that I don't have the money so much as I don't have the time. I'm close to Nagoya which has dick all for retro games as far as I can tell, and Osaka's about 3 hours away.

Also I don't really make a whole lot of dosh on my English monkey's salary but I'll probably be able to travel again fairly soon as it's almost summer break.

in the end I guess Metroid is the only game I know of that I really want for it, and it's hard as fuck to find and harder still to justify the price premium it commands.

>> No.1773425

Drakon modded a Twin Famicom to output RGB and no jailbars. Maybe you could find someone who could do it without adding 5 pounds of glue.

>> No.1773535

>>1773153
Meh, the FDS is wonderous if you like adventure games.

>> No.1773669

>>1773214
>in the end I guess Metroid is the only game I know of that I really want for it

There's lots of other good games too.

Castlevania(s)
Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa
Gun Smoke
Bubble Bobble
Tobidase Daisakusen
Doki Doki Panic
Esper Dream
Green Beret
Love Fighter Nicol
Moero Twinbee
Kid Icarus
two Zelda games
Super Mario Bros.

The two dozen Detective Club games

>> No.1773679

>>1773214
>hard as fuck to find and harder still to justify the price premium it commands
How much is it in Japan? I paid ~23 for my copy shipped off ebay.

Anyway, OP, get it. I was lucky enough to find one on Craigslist for 75 bucks (some dude had a buddy import one for him long ago) and I love it to death.

>> No.1773689

I found a receipt from Hard-off inside a ps1 game I bought off ebay.

That's the end of my story.

>> No.1774325

>>1773679
I've only seen it at Super Potato, which almost NEVER has reasonable prices on things but their FDS disks were 2500 to 5000 yen....it's tough to drop a week's worth of groceries on a FDS game. I started collecting famicom because it was cheap and I never had an NES growing up, so perhaps I'm too spoiled by getting most of my games for between 50 and 500 yen apiece.

Too bad Bio Miracle Upotte's on the expensive side. If i could find that for 2000 yen or less that would probably have sealed the deal.

>> No.1775983

>>1773214
3 hours? poor ass nigga. take the shinkansen.

$60 for a twin fami you will have to replace the belt on immediately is too much. especially from hard off. if you're dumb enough to pay $60 for that just pay super potato or where ever else $100 for one with a new belt that has been properly tested.

>> No.1776069

>>1775983
If the shinkansen wasn't so goddamn expensive I would, but taking the regular Tokaido line there is 5200 yen round-trip. I know this Hard-off tests all the equipment they sell, even the vidya hardware and games in the junk section. This was in the premium section which they go over even more thoroughly, so I'm not really worried about getting something mechanically dodgy. That said, the belt thing is one of the things that always made me hesitate about getting a FDS. How much of a tricky bitch is it to replace?

>> No.1778862

>>1776069
well as long as it doesnt cost 27000 yen like it does from tokyo but if it's 5200 on the tokaido line ouch. probably does cost too much.

replacing the belt isn't rocket science, but it isn't trivial. there are a few guides around and I highly recommend watching several different (key: different) videos before attempting it.

http://www.famicomdisksystem.com/tutorials/fds-repair-mod/belt-replacement-adjustment/

You can buy high quality belts on yaj or from super potato.

>> No.1780971

Get it, it's completely worth it. If it's the original AC adapter that thing alone is worth like 3000 yen.

I bought a Twin Famicom off of Yahoo! Auctions and love it.

>> No.1781690
File: 2.05 MB, 4000x3000, changchong.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>hard-off