[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 19 KB, 636x358, mm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1771976 No.1771976[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So I could never get into Majora's Mask. Tried to play through it maybe two or three times but just never gave a shit. I loved OoT though. Could you explain to me what the big deal is please? Thanks.

Zelda general (preferably the N64 games) if you want.

>> No.1771987

Ocarina of Time = Postal Service
Majora's Mask = Xiu Xiu

>> No.1772005

>>1771987
I have no idea what that analogy implies I'm afraid. Google tells me it's related to some hipster bands.

>> No.1772048

>>1771976
I like the story more.
Researching the background of all the stuff in Majora's Mask and thinking how it works makes it freakin wonderful to me.

The gameplay feels just the same as OoT though.

>> No.1772261

>>1771976
Ocarina of time was more dungeon based considering it had more of them.

Majora's Mask was more story oriented since there were so many different stories taking place within that 3 day limit.

If you love the puzzle solving and lots of it, OoT is what you prefer.
If you love great stories and dark atmosphere in a game, MM is definitely a good pick for it.

>> No.1772289

>>1771976
honestly it really is just overrated by people who pretend its better because OoT is far more popular. the only thing Majora's Mask has over OoT is story but for a Zelda game OoT is far superior. its not a terrible game but it certainly isnt the best zelda, or even close to it

>> No.1772294

>>1772289
You are a wrong simple-minded person.

>> No.1773080
File: 23 KB, 475x251, einstein-duh[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hello? Does the concept of wearing gameplay altering masks not intrigue you? This made puzzles and combat options all the better.

>> No.1773087

>>1773080
Even better was the collection aspect. You never had to collect all masks, but it was all the more satisfying when you did because you were rewarded with seeing the transformation or features of the mask. Also, first game I knew that forced you to reset time to screw yourself over if you didn't do everything fast enough. Was a good challenge and outright fun game.

>> No.1773095

>>1772294
Well, looks like you just proved >>1772289's point

>> No.1773206

From what I'm getting out of this thread, MM seems like a pretty small game compared to OoT. Is that true?

>> No.1773236

>>1773206
It's smaller but it's not AS small as people are saying.

If you're playing for the first time without guides you'll take some time to beat it, specially if you at least get all masks and fairies inside dungeons.

People played this game so much and can beat it so fast they forgot their first time experience wasn't so short.

>> No.1773246

>>1773236
how many hours would you say the first playthrough is?

>> No.1773247

Some people like the time travel, others hate it.

The people who hate it are annoyed that if you do something in the game you have to reset the time back and "lose" your progress. You are always resetting the game in a sense and people really didn't like that.

Other people really liked it since if you missed doing some story bit you could go back in time and finish the quest. It was nice in the case of fucking up a quest, you could still keep playing the game, and then time travel back and try the quest again. You never got a Game Over for messing up the quests.

>> No.1773261

>>1773247
sounds more annoying and tedious than anything else

>> No.1773269

>>1773261
It's annoying only if you get stuck too bad in a dungeon and you run out of time.

But there are special ocarina songs to speed or slow down the passage of time, so you'll never really have problems with that.

>> No.1773274

>>1773269
there's only four dungeons right? this game sounds like an expansion pack more than anything else.

>> No.1773278

>>1773274
4 Main dungeons but there are a few smaller dungeons scattered.

There's also more stuff to do between dungeons than the usual Zelda game.

>> No.1773298

>>1773247
The good and bad thing about that as well is that some of the quests can be done at certain times of the three day period, while others (like Kafei's quest) you really need to dedicate all your time to it and you need to do everything correctly. I remember getting to Sakon's hideout, and I couldn't get the mask in time and had to redo all that bullshit again.

>> No.1773635

>>1773087
getting the masks always just felt like a chore to me because, outside of 7 of them, none of them did anything.

>> No.1773643

>>1773206
its a lot shorter in the main quest department. only has 4 main dungeons compared to OoT's 8 dungeons. MM has several side quests though, however only a few of them have substantial meat to them (notably the Kafei/Anju quest)

Overall OoT is the longer game, but quite a few of the sidequests in MM are specific time only so if you miss a trigger you'll have to reset and wait again which is gonna pad out your time

>> No.1773646

>>1773246
not that guy, but i got it on launch and had beaten it with all masks in about 4 days. assuming i generally played it about 8~ hours a day, had no help, and was also 12, you should probably have it beaten pretty quickly

>> No.1773651

>>1773298
Proper route planning is really all that's needed though.

I wonder if people actually used the bombers notebook for more than a side quest checklist.

Though you're right about sakon's hideout, total BS when playing blind.

>> No.1773654

They're both the most overrated games of all time and not even the best Zelda games.

>> No.1773661

>>1773651
i didn't even know the bombers notebook was a thing on my first playthrough. i thought it was just "FIGURE IT OUT, ASSHOLE" simon's quest level bullshit. at some point i got fed up and started a new profile and happened to get the book that time around. significantly easier

>> No.1773731

I'll post some tips for people who have trouble with the 2 64 games. I am sure you guys know many of these but some may be obscure.

>OOT
Deku sticks are stronger than the kokiri sword.
Crouch stabbing (hold shield without z-targetting and pressing attack) has its damage set by the last sword move used. So if you jump slash first (z-target and attack) these fast paced hits do crazy damage while also providing some meager protection.
Do not charge spin attacks, instead use the circle the stick method because it doesn't use magic.
Despite annoying sound effect, just keep pressing the button you assign lenses of truth to avoid wasting a bunch of magic.
Walking is better done by ztargetting and moving backwards to speed up traveling time. Particularly helpful when trying to get to hyrule castle town the first time.

>MM
Crouch stabbing, lenses of truth, circle spin attack, and moving backwards all apply here too.
Get the bombers notebook, talk to everyone, use this to plan your days.
The scarecrow in the bomb shop can advance you to the next day or night, except on the final day. The old woman in the inn can advance it a whole day but again not on final. Double song advances it to the next day phase(playing each note twice).
Slow down time almost always by using the inverted song of time. It gives you twice as long to get where you need to and do dungeons.
Stone mask makes the geurdo fortress a joke.
No matter what you need to make at least 2 trips to the fortress so don't bother waiting to get 6 bottles when you have 4.
There's a chest in clock town with a silver rupee that you can get to by hopping on the wooden signs over the mini game entrances in clock town. Use this to pad your bank account.
Stay off the horse and instead use the bunny hood during the 'alien' invasion, buy the map, and pay attention to where the dots are on the map.
When a wolfos attacks, avoid it, then jump attack tail, one hit kill every time

>> No.1773739

>>1771987
I'm kind of upset that I understand this.

>> No.1773930

>>1773731
You forgot a few things for OoT.

Deku nuts can make Poes appear.
Sun's Song can stun Redeads.
You can get a Hyrulean Shield for free if you find the grave with the Redead in it in Kakariko's graveyard.

Oh and a couple for MM too.

There's a chest with a silver rupee in the sewer behind the bomber password member, as soon as you enter it's to the left behind a bombed wall.
There is a portion at the end of the game that requires the goron mask, it is extremely frustrating if you don't know to not move the analog stick while hitting the corners.

>> No.1773959

>>1773930
Forgot one for MM

Play the Song of Storms and the raindrops will automatically water the Magic Beans, no bottle required.

>> No.1773982

>Legend of Zelda
Good for it's time. Still holds up today. A bit overrated though.
>Adventure of Link
Very fun and much different than other games in the series. Huge grindfest though. Gets a lot of unnecessary flack for being different than other games in the series.
>A Link To The Past
Amazing, set the guidelines not just for all future Zelda but for almost every adventure game of all time.Has some questionable dungeon design though.
>Links Awakening
Pure masterpiece. Took everything good about ALTTP and made it better, and took all that didn’t work in ALTTP and fixed it, and combined it with one of the greatest stories and atmospheres of any game ever.
>Oracle of Ages
Very enjoyable game. Lacks the amazing atmosphere that made Links Awakening so fantastic though.
>Oracle of Seasons
Enjoyable game, but not as great as Ages as it focuses more on hack and slash combat rather than puzzles. Also the seasons element wasn’t as interesting as the Ages element.
>Ocarina of Time
Amazing game. Set the guideline for every 3D adventure game since it. It does lose a bit of steam though after the Water Temple as the story begins to feel a bit rushed.
>Majora's Mask
Great game, with some amazing concepts. Hampered however by the mediocre dungeons (except for the god tier Stone Tower Temple) which honestly just felt like something that would be something from a fan-made OOT romhack, The cluttered Termina Field also made navigation a bit cumbersome.
>Wind Waker
Absolute masterpiece, perfect atmosphere, amazing story, great dungeons and bosses, and great sidequests on par with the ones in MM. Although the Triforce Fetch Quest at the end is a bit tedious but it still doesn’t mar the overall experience.
>Minish Cap
Fun. Nothing that special compared to other Zeldas though.
>Phantom Hourglass
Shit. Horrible controls,. horrible graphics, horrible streamlined sailing, horrible dungeons, horrible bosses, horrible story, and that goddamned fucking Ocean King Temple

>> No.1773985

>>1773982
>Twilight Princes
Complete shit. Tried way too hard to be "DARK AND GRITTY" and to appeal to western audiences. With the exception of Goron Mines, Temple of Time, and City In The Sky all of the dungeons were either mediocre or just bad, barely any sidequests, story and atmosphere was all over the place in terms of themes, pacing, and direction, the graphics did not fit the series and were also ugly, overuse of brown and bloom, Zant's nonsensical character turn in order to accommodate the story getting needlessly ganonjacked, The Triforce, The Master Sword, Princess Zelda, and Ganon just seemed needlessly tacked onto the game in order to please fans who would bitch and moan if they weren't in it, and I can count the number of original music tracks in the game with one hand.
>Spirit Tracks
Great game, improved so much over Phantom Hourglass. Much better graphics, better controls, more exploration and sidequests, great story, and just fun. Spirit Flute could be a better cumbersome though
>Skyward Sword
Good game. A bit too linear for my tastes though. Also I don’t think the game really benefited from the 1/1 Motion Control Sword Combat. Also Fi was absolutely obnoxious and spoonfed/ruined so much of the game and it’s puzzles for players. Great story, dungeons, and characters though. Especially Groose. He’s one of the best characters of all time.
>A Link Between Worlds
Absolutely amazing. A bit too easy for my taste, but the world-building, the story, the side-quests, the dungeons, and just everything about it were amazing. I can’t quite say it yet seeing how new it is, but it might just be on-par with Links Awakening and Wind Waker as my favorite Zelda game.

>> No.1773997

>>1773269
Use the song of slower time, it makes it impossible to not have enough time in the day for a dungeon or two.

>> No.1774002 [DELETED] 

>>1773982
>>1773985
nobody cares

>> No.1774006

>>1774002
Fuck off back to /b/ or /v/. You edgy little shits need to stay on your containment board.

>> No.1774024 [DELETED] 

>>1773982
>>1773985
>>>/v/

>> No.1774036

>>1774024
>Having well thought out opinions on actual video games is cancer and deserving of being on a containment board
Excuse me?

>> No.1774054 [DELETED] 

>>1773982
>>1773985
>>1774002
>>1774006
>>1774024
>>1774036

>>>>>reddit.com

>> No.1774059

Okay that's enough children.

>> No.1774060

>>1774054
>>1774024
>>1774002
You clearly are new here. I'd advise becoming familiar with /vr/'s board culture before posting again. We are a much more mature board where we share opinions and discuss video games from our childhoods.

>> No.1774071
File: 55 KB, 594x396, wow.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1774060

>> No.1774126

>>1773635
They all do things, just within their separate side stories. That's what made Majora fun for people. Finding new masks and finding out how they worked in the world.

Stone mask op

>> No.1774159

>>1773985
>a fellow Groose fan
YES

>> No.1774182

>>1773982
>>1773985
This guy actually knows what he's talking about and it's refreshing to see somebody that actually enjoys video games.

>> No.1774183
File: 172 KB, 478x358, d2f.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So let's say I want to play this 'Ocarina of Time' for the first time in my life, just to see what all the hollaballoo is all about

What emulator or whatevs is the best i can use?

>> No.1774185

>>1773982
>>1773985
I respect and agree with mostly everything. Ignore retards and have a nice day, friend. I wouldn't be so harsh on TP but it really isn't as good as the others.

inb4 accusation of samefagging.

>> No.1774190

>>1774182
Thanks.
What's funny though if I don't enjoy video games very much anymore and the only games I ever play (rarely at that because of how busy adult life is) are video games from my childhood.
I mean, I'll always play a new game from a series that has immense nostalgia to me like a Zelda or Pokemon, but most new games just lack that fun adventure atmosphere that 90's and early 2000's games had.

>> No.1774191

>>1774190
In fact, the last modern game I really enjoyed that game from a series that I don't have nostalgic value to is South Park: The Stick of Truth.
Also sorry for that super redundant post, I'm stoned as fuck.

>> No.1774192

>>1774183
Project 64. Download the rom from emuparadise

I bet you won't like it though if you're going back to it from all the modern 3D Zelda games, which essentially rehashed the formula over and over again. Your post already makes you sound like a condescending prick just waiting to find flaws in the game tbh m8.

>> No.1774196

>>1773985

>bloom
>twilight princess

um. what

>> No.1774197

>>1774196
Are you blind or something?

>> No.1774202

>>1774191
Nigga did you play Dark Souls?

Playing DaS1 for the first time when I was 25 gave me the same feel as an adult that I had when I was 12 and played OoT for the first time. That feel of being completely immersed in the world and being an adventure. I never thought I would ever get that feeling again from video games and had practically forgotten it until I played the first Dark Souls game. Just saying that you should definitely check it out if you haven't already. Unfortunately I didn't like the sequel though.

>> No.1774206

>>1774183

Don't bother. You're going to play for 5 minutes and drop it the first time you get lost.

>> No.1774209

>>1774202
*being on an adventure

>> No.1774213

>>1774202

not that guy but i have demon souls that a friend gave me. is it the same thing? i like how you describe it.

>> No.1774214

>>1774202
I have, played for a few hours and thought it was fun but it didn't really capture me away like I was hoping it would though. I might give it another chance though because I'm at a different place in life from when I first played it.

>> No.1774218

>>1774213
Not him, but iirc Demon is the spiritual prequel to Dark Souls.

>> No.1774234

>>1774213
It's similar but not the same. Gameplay wise its very similar but the structure of the world is very different between the two games. Dark Souls is one large, interconnected world, for instance, while Demon's Souls has hubs and you warp into levels.

Demon's Souls is also a beautiful game but Dark Souls 1 is my favourite in the series. I played through all Demon's Souls right before buying Dark Souls. I really liked it but DaS1 just completely hooked me into it. Try it out, see what you think. They're great games.

>> No.1774240
File: 2.01 MB, 360x430, first_sx_11.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1774192

ooooww where did that come from

tbh I'm just a videogame enthiousiast like anyone else, but the truth is nintendo was never my machine for some reason, and because i've been hearing from OOT for 10 years now i'd like to see whats its like

>> No.1774247

>>1774240
Eh, I don't see a non-Nintendo dude liking Zelda but w/e. Of course you're free to try it out.

>> No.1774249

>>1774240

You could get the 3DS version if you intend to play the whole game. It's the definitive version for me but I'm not a purist or anything.

>> No.1774251
File: 123 KB, 835x583, the_one_you_cannot_help_by_green_mamba-d3lk7ni.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It has depth to it, created a wierd world with characters you cared about and dealt with some serious stuff. Also the way the time worked was clever and well utilized.

>> No.1774260

>>1771976

there is no big deal

only a bunch of fags screaming that their toy is better than your toy

>> No.1774998

>>1773982
The only thing I have an issue with is your analysis of ages and seasons. Ages had one truly challenging dungeon, Jabu-Jabu, and the rest of the dungeons suffered from repeat puzzles like floor color changing puzzles. That and the items are more varied in seasons and the seasons dancing game is optional.

Also it's not like seasons is devoid of puzzles and all of the bosses far outrank the ages counterparts, but not the last one, which I feel ages is harder.

Both windwaker and MM suffer from lack of main story dungeons and then if you don't play the wiiu remake of WW, the abysmal triforce quest.

TP did have a lot of extra areas to explore too, almost more so than wind waker.

SS felt like one fetch quest after another, and I genuinely didn't enjoy it besides the boss fights and great story as you have mentioned.

Really need to play a link between worlds though, seems like every zelda fan loves it.

>> No.1775016

>>1773982
TP sucked but I do hope Nintendo one day create a 'serious' Zelda again. Sorry but I don't like this cartoon shit. I would like a Zelda game with the look/atmosphere of TP but is actually good. Skyward Sword just looks like such a fagfest.

>> No.1775026
File: 69 KB, 300x264, 1404337384951.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1771976
>I can't get into x. Tell me why people like x.
Stop posting.

>> No.1775037

>>1775016
There's a lot of good ideas in skyward sword, but it really feels like a rushed game where the scope escaped the devs once again. Anouma just can't get a grip on content.

I always feel like he spends way too much time on sidequests and forgets there needs to be a main story until 75% of development.

TP was the opposite really, but it just feels soulless except for a few characters, which again is one of his strong suits.

>> No.1775040

>>1775016
>Sorry but I don't like this cartoon shit
They all look like "cartoon shit."

>> No.1775151
File: 118 KB, 494x379, freaky.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1773985
twilight princess' artstyle is just a more detailed version of oot's. the only time it felt tryhard dark was pic related

>> No.1775326

>>1774060
If non-retro games are the type of discussion that you think belongs here then you need to return to /v/.

>> No.1777152

>>1775151
That's not true at all, you must have a visual disability or something.
Ocarina of Time was full of color and adventure, even after the time-skip.
Twilight Princess was always ugly, brown, and gritty.

>> No.1777160

>>1771976
Really? This is my favorite Zelda game

>> No.1777179

>>1777152
ugly? i wouldnt say that but the characters kinda are sometimes. brown and gritty? no, those are just /v/ buzzwords. the only place in the game that was "brown and gritty" was the desert because no shit the desert is brown and gritty by nature. take your nostalgia goggles off for a second, most colors in ocarina are pretty washed out and muddy. i wouldn't call it "ugly, brown and gritty" mostly because i consider it a shallow, generic criticism but outside of the dungeons ocarina of time really isn't that different stylistically from twilight princess.

>> No.1777238

>>1777179
You're wrong, but that's okay.
If there weren't stupid people like you, then people like me would have to do the real world jobs made for you plebeian subhumans.

>> No.1777245

>>1777238
>talks about the real world
>uses words like "plebeian"
nice projection dude.

>> No.1777371
File: 57 KB, 639x480, lil.faggot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1777238

That's big talk from a guy arguing about Zelda online.

>> No.1777406

>>1771976
You actually need that childlike patience to explore and get to know the world, instead of having the content rammed up your ass from the beginning.

You also have to direct yourself, considering it's up to you to find the dungeons. Nobody points to the right way and sez "ur tha hero lul go save that", but this is what makes the game personal. You have to give a shit about the characters to choose to do a sidequest for them

>> No.1777439

tp & ss are my favorite in the series . . . Forever alone I guess

>> No.1777452

>>1777439
TP is an objectively bad game.

>> No.1777503

Majora's Mask was hard for me to get into because the game starts out very confusingly. It's not hard to understand why so many people get put off by the game. You're turned into a small deku scrub, a moon is falling with a time counter, and you can't get out of the town. It's honestly very soffocating and unexpected for someone who was expecting Ocarina of Time 2: Electric Boogaloo.
As a kid, I didn't like the time limit, and I absolutely hated the save system. I still forced myself through the beginning of the game, when you finally are able to turn into normal Link (which isn't too long since the beginning) and you get out of Clock Town, the adventure starts and it honestly feels alright, the swamp is a nice location, and the temple is hard, all 4 temples in the game are fairly long and challenging, which kind of makes up for the few amount of them.
Once you learn how the game really works (that losing your rupees and your replenishable items isn't really that big of a deal, you can even save rupees in the bank), going back in time to save your game progress isn't bothersome anymore. The owl statues (which were only included on the western version) also help if you want to save without resetting the time.
The biggest thing in the game is the transformation masks. Deku Scrub isn't really all that good, although flying through the swamp and the swamp temple was nice, it isn't very useful otherwise, but the Goron and Zora mask are truly game-changing. Spining fast through Termina is the best way to navigate the map, and fun too, and the Zora mask provides a completely new way to play underwater, the swimming mechanics are very well made, beaver rapids race was one of my favorite parts of the game. You didn't had that kind of shit in OOT, the masks are game-changing.
Then there is the whole "groundhog day" aspect where you use the schedule book to keep track on who does what at what hour and at what day. That's basically the deal with MM.

>> No.1777507

>>1777406
tatl tells you exactly where to go. what are you talking about

>> No.1777529

>>1777503
Maybe it's because of the lack of hand holding in the beginning. They just drop your ass into clock town with a totally different move set than the previous game and just go "HAVE FUN FAGGOT". Doesn't help that the faeries location changes between night and day.

>> No.1778670

>>1773731
>No matter what you need to make at least 2 trips to the fortress so don't bother waiting to get 6 bottles when you have 4.
No you don't.
- You can have 6 bottles by then.
You only need Epona to get the graveyard bottle. (You can just climb over the side of the ledge and hop easily or get a good jump with the Bunny Hood to circumvent the Hookshot for the Captain's Hat leap).
You only need the Letter to Mama for the Madame Aroma's bottle.

It would be interesting to contemplate which route is the fastest though, and which would be possible for a single cycle run (certainly not Dampe's bottle as it would leave you with all of 5 minutes to finish the game).

>> No.1781693

>>1777452
no, tp is an objective mess of a game. wouldn't call it bad though. ss on the other hand...