[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 222 KB, 500x400, Super_Famicom.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1769740 No.1769740 [Reply] [Original]

sup /vr/, I'm interested in purchasing a Super Famicom and I've seen that the cheaper ones come without cables, controllers and cords. Is the SFC compatible with the PAL SNES (Italy specifically) power cord and AV cable? Thanks in advance for the response.

>> No.1769743

>>1769740
I'm not sure about the actual super famicom itself but I hear NTSC consoles usually need a step down converter to work with European power standards

>> No.1770168

>>1769743
I can't find a proper confirmation about this but I've read that since the SFC and the PAL SNES look identical, they use the same power supply, but the AV cables are different. I'm not currently using an official SNES cable but one that works both with my SNES and N64 so I don't know if this will work with a SFC.

>> No.1770178

You don't need at step down converter. You just plug in a correct adapter.
You can't use the PAL SNES power adapter though. Get a PAL Megadrive 1 adapter, it works perfectly with a SFC.

>> No.1770193

Just make sure the power cable is center negative. IIRC the PAL console has center positive.

>> No.1770297

>>1770178
>>1770193
Ah, thanks. Upon a quick search it seems that both the options of buying a SFC without cables and then buying cables separately, or buying one with everything would not be as cheap as I expected. Probably I'd better search for a SFC cartridge adapter for PAL, but I'm not having a lot of luck as of now about it.

>> No.1770306

>>1770297
If you get a PAL SNES, at least mod it for 60HZ right away.
If you don't want to bother with that, you should pretty much get a US SNES or a SFC.

>> No.1770585

>>1770306
I already have a PAL SNES with everything, since I wanted to play some SFC games too I wanted to know whether I needed it with all the cables or just the system, but since it seems that the case is the former, I thought I could just purchase an adapter but If modding my PAL for 60Hz would allow me to play SFC games then I'll have to look around on how to do this.

>> No.1770772

>>1769740

A US SNES will play JP games provided you remove the 2 lockout tabs (takes about 30 seconds with pliers).

Really, it's ugly but it's the most versatile SNES, since it can play anything from any region, and isn't hard to add a 50/60Hz switch to it.

>> No.1770868

>>1770585
Those adapters can be quite finicky so be careful with those.

>> No.1771665

What is the best way to play PAL and NTSC-J games on an NTSC SNES? I have a game genie that I cut the tabs out of but it's really finicky and barely, if ever, works.

There has to be a better way.