[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 87 KB, 600x600, 965667-breath_of_fire_iii__u__front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1757261 No.1757261[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What do you guys think about this game, or the series in general? I played this back in the day and don't remember much of anything about it. I'm thinking about playing it again, but I played a bit of 2 a while back and found it kind of dull. Is this one any better, or is more of the same? What about 4?

>> No.1757265

>>1757261
Game takes FOREVER to get to any point in the game where you feel like you're going to move forward in the plot or have a reason for playing. Once you do though, good game.

>> No.1757280

>>1757265
Fucking this. I love this game, its one of my favorite RPGs, but goddamn the first half is slow. Its worth it to hold on and keep pushing forward though.

>> No.1757291
File: 581 KB, 1200x1600, Ursula02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1757261
>What about 4?

4 is hands down my favorite. It has hands down one of the best turn based battle systems on the system, maybe genre great music cool characters and the Chinese/Korean esque setting is a refreshing change of pace.

Ursula is the best

>> No.1757356
File: 9 KB, 480x360, tookdays.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think it forever scarred my childhood, that's what.

>> No.1757362

>>1757280
Once you get past the Balio and Sunder thing, I think it's fine. That's the problem with a lot of RPGs though, all the neat stuff as far as combat goes is only available halfway through or more.

>> No.1757364 [DELETED] 

>>1757362
This does t help the beginning village are including the mines and mansion.

>> No.1757371

>>1757362
This doesn't help you get through the chore that is the mines, village and mansion areas of the first 5 hours.

>> No.1757406

>>1757371
It really doesn't.

>Finally get up the will to replay the game.
>Make it through and kill B&S, on my way back to Windia.
>Game freezes when I get to the bridge and I can't advance any further.
>Don't have anything to transfer the save off my playstation.

>> No.1757420 [SPOILER] 
File: 89 KB, 1280x720, 1405047541264.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1757362
...i wasted a lot of items on that first un-winable fight
good thing for memory cards.

>> No.1757423

>>1757362
The first battle, second, or fighting Stallion in the arena? Id say the game really picks up around the Arena

>> No.1757425

>>1757423

I found the whole childhood arc to be a chore

>> No.1757468

>>1757265
>>1757280
Hold on a second there. This is a good thing. the first 1/3 of the game as a kid is innocence. Not knowing the heavy weight of his destiny. I like it because it's 'sinple'

Heck, the world map music for it is called Casually.

>> No.1757473

Is 3 the one with the Dragon %. And if it gets to 100% it's game over? I was about 2 hours away from the ending when I got 100%. Was so fucking pissed. I know I should have had multiple saves but I still hated that.

>> No.1757480
File: 44 KB, 230x192, low ds.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1757473

no thats 5

>I was about 2 hours away from the ending when I got 100%.

that's what you get for spamming the dragon.

> I know I should have had multiple saves but I still hated that.

you only get the one.

It's a short game anyways , in fact when you died it should have reloaded you back to before you screwed up.

HOW BAD DID YOU FUCK UP?!

>> No.1757485

I guess I was the only one that liked the child arc. Like after you rescue Nina and his attack animation changes from cowering to confidence. And Rei + Ryu + Teepo is a part of the game I wish could've just gone on longer. The game gets pretty dark later on.

>> No.1757513

>>1757485
Not if you bother to read the thread

>> No.1757517

>>1757423
The arena's good, but it's really after the merge fight where I think things pick up. Once you start getting more genes, more spells, different equipment to make a choice with how you gear people, things start coming together.

>> No.1757523

>>1757513
>Not if you bother to read the thread

Nah, you're right.

>>1757425
>>1757406
>>1757371
>>1757362
>>1757280
>>1757265

Are all such glowing endorsements for the childhood era!

>> No.1757573

>>1757261
Eh tbh I found 3 to be more dull than 2. The gameplay is generally improved, don't get me wrong, but the plot, as I recall, just barely moves for the majority of the game. The entire second (adult Ryu) portion of the game can pretty much be summed up as "Let's go journey to this place on the other side of the world!"

I dunno, I like 4 and 2 better, but 3 is the most popular for some reason.

>> No.1757576

>>1757485
Well, it's not like the childhood era is entirely devoid of fun. The arena and meeting Momo wasn't bad, and training what's his name was fun. The Nue and the Mansion were pretty tedious though, as was everything until you cross the bridge save for the aforementioned parts.

It's a shame about Teepo though, I always felt bad about that, and I really wish he got some more exposure throughout. Something like seeing him shadow you or getting hints that he was still out there could work (Like townsfolk rarely mentioning a purple haired kid doing various things, or you always arriving just after he had been somewhere would've been great if it weren't blatantly obvious or had alternate explanations). Some sort of build up to him at the end would've been great.

>> No.1757580

>>1757261
Breath of Fire 3 is the best RPG ever.

>> No.1757584

>>1757576
>and training what's his name was fun.

what are you on about it was a dreadful experience that utterly killed pacing.

too much of the early game was spent of pointless buffoonery that ultimately never payed out on anything of merit

>> No.1757596

>>1757584
The pointless buffoonery was one of the only things that kept me interested. The story doesn't really reveal itself at any decent pace, and the battles aren't anything special, but the little minigames are fun.

Watching that fellow go from no stronger than a goblin to a monster that one shots his opponent was a great joy and it didn't exactly take a very long time to finish. My biggest gripe with the game is the same as any JRPG, the random encounters only serve to drag out the game and don't really offer any difficulty. It's especially bad in games where the story was slow.

Besides, how could one not like assembling the fairy village later on? That was great.

>> No.1757616

>>1757473
The game gets progressively easier. You're not supposed to beat it the first time, you're supposed to dragon rage and fuck up. You get better gear and you should have banked a bunch of XP, and your fairy village and items carry over.

If you still have the save, just restart and you'll be done quick

>> No.1757882

>>1757261
I've been meaning to replay the games starting from the first but it's been a few months since finishing the second and I'm having a hard time picking up the third because of other games I want to play first. BoF1 is a pretty generic JRPG minus the whole dragon system but it's still a pretty fun game. The second absolutely blew me away. I'd only played it many years ago before the re-translation patch was available and thought it was as shallow as the first game but it definitely isn't. The characters are likable, the plot and atmosphere is great and I started to really care about seeing the game to the end and defeating the villain, something I don't get in a lot of JRPGs. It sure did a wonderful job at conveying emotion.

I remember liking 3 and 4 a lot when I first played them but I've completely forgotten everything about them since then. I'm interested in seeing if I like them as much as I did 2. I honestly don't care about DQ but I'll give that a try as well.

>> No.1757912
File: 97 KB, 728x1128, fou goes crazy and stuff.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1757882

4 was the one where you get to play as the villain in a few spots

there was a manga adaptation that's actually a pretty good read if you want to skip playing it though

>> No.1757946

>>1757912
I remember that, I think his entire plot is about him slowly growing to hate humanity which I always thought was really neat. Getting to see the villain's motivations develop firsthand.

I've always been interested in reading the manga adaption of the first game since it supposedly expands the story quite a bit. IV might be good enough on its own but IIRC the manga is supposed to provide closure on Yuna. His portions are the one thing I've unfortunately not forgotten even after all these years.

>> No.1757960

>>1757261
BoF3 is an underappreciated game. IMO it's up there with FF7 and Chrono Trigger. The late game has some really subtle and profound shit

>>1757912
That villain's faux-olde Englishe was such a massive turnoff it ruined the game to the point I couldn't even play beyond the beginning.

>> No.1757961 [SPOILER] 
File: 1.09 MB, 800x1166, 1405062747828.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1757946
>I remember that, I think his entire plot is about him slowly growing to hate humanity which I always thought was really neat. Getting to see the villain's motivations develop firsthand.

yeah that was great. He started out with a god like superiority complex, on account of being a god but had nothing even close to resembling contempt. He was just wanted to take his thrown back as par the ancient agreement. It was only after Yuna and the Emperors action that he went full genocide. And it's hard not to agree with him a bit.

>
I've always been interested in reading the manga adaption of the first game since it supposedly expands the story quite a bit. IV might be good enough on its own but IIRC the manga is supposed to provide closure on Yuna

they do not. And I think there's a reason for it.

the popular theory as to why Yuna lives is that BoF 4 takes place before all the other games and it was actually Yuna who created the goddess Myria

I wanted to see Yuna fucking die too but that theory works just so perfectly...

we can also assume that Myria kills him though

>> No.1757965

First half is indeed slow, but once the Balio and Sunder stuff starts, the story at least is moving.

I'm playing now for the first time, in the process of reviving/rescuing Deis or whatever her name is.

I feel like I a taking it especially slow just to make sure my party is adequately leveled. I never like it when games don't give a little xp out to everyone to keep them competitive, but I guess that would have broken the master system[?].

On that topic: what's everyone's preferred layout, if they recall?

I have Ryu and Garr learn under Bunyan to up their strength, Rei under D'Lonzo for more agility, Nina under Mygas, then Emitai (the guy you fight at the Arena) for INT, and Peco and Momo I sort of shift around, generally favoring Momo's power and agility, and Peco's strength and defense.

I have a feeling that if used properly, Peco can be turned into a near-unstoppable killing machine. It hasn't happened yet, but I'm hopeful.

>> No.1757967

>>1757961
the option to choose to join with your other half, then fight the party instead of the end boss

Its a parallel world from the other games? Deis says as much in her mission, and the talk about dragon souls entangling everyone around them and piercing the heavens and shit

>> No.1757976

>>1757961
I decided to read up on the manga and yeah, they don't kill him. I've always liked that theory anyway, that he went on to create Myria. Even though Deis clearly being from another world in IV and going on to call Myria her sister the matching snake theme is pretty cool complicates things.

And now it looks like I'm remembering a lot from III and IV. At least the big plot moments.

>> No.1757978
File: 108 KB, 645x460, tumblr_luat7x1Iei1qginzlo2_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1757967
>Its a parallel world from the other games?

No. The gods and "dragons" all come from one though, which is why they're so different.

way the popular fan theory time lines goes is

>Bof 4 happens
Yuna does his thing and makes good on his promise to make more gods resulting in the birt of Myria

>Myria kills Yuna because fuck him and then creates the dragon clan as her children

>War where declared

>Bof 1 happens Myria is defeated and leaves behind Evans
>Bof 2 happens Evans gets his shit kicked in.
>Bof 3 happens the party defeated Myria and in doing so the desert of death begins to cover the earth.
>Humanity tries creating dragons of its own and fucks things up even worse
>Bof5 happens

>> No.1757982
File: 41 KB, 465x500, Ershi-Deis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1757976
>. Even though Deis clearly being from another world in IV and going on to call Myria her sister the matching snake theme is pretty cool complicates things.

Not really

see Deis needed a body remember she basically was stuck inside Ershin, so what if it was Yuna who made the snake body. Very much something to his tastes I might add.

He does this and uses her as a basis for Myria hence why she would consider her a sister

>> No.1758250

>>1757523
Direct you to >>1757468

...ADHD or simpleton?

>> No.1758252

>>1757576
What I want to know is how he got so god damn powerful living alone at the end.

>> No.1758259

I thought BoF4 is just one mess of an unfinished game that lacks an entire chapter where Yuna poses as the final boss.

>> No.1758268

>>1757978
But who was phone??

Also BoF5 ending is a verdure green pasture.

BoFIII easy modo = Keeping Ryu at level 1 until access to Bunyan as a master, then buying the Claymore in Wyndia. (supplement this with a fuckload of fishing prizes)

>> No.1758270

>>1757261
A lot of games far more deserving of praise got overshadowed by FF7. For goodness sakes, it as good as bankrupted some companies back in '97, no shit.

>> No.1758359

>>1758259
Yeah, when you end up on the east continent, the last 3 hours of the game feel really rushed.

>> No.1758402

I enjoy hunting and fishing in these games more than I do the battles and story.

>> No.1758457 [DELETED] 

katt: the series

>> No.1758493 [DELETED] 

>>1758250
Started to respond with "because posts detracting is more than one in favor, right?" then realized the point you were getting at was when I said "guess I'm the only one who liked it" you were pulling a "NUH-UH, you said only one when technically TWO of us did!! hurrhurrhurr"

You're the kind of literalist that when someone says "back in a minute" you autistically count the seconds and spew out "you said a minute, that was ackshully 47 seconds!" aren't you?

>> No.1758494

So uh....was momo the same tribe of dog people as Scias in BoF4?

She gives off a milfy aura

>> No.1758496

>>1758493
Ah, so the answer is simpleton, I see.

>> No.1758503

>>1758496
>forty-three seconds... forty-four seconds... forty-five seconds...

Keep sperging out there.

>> No.1758512

>>1758494
Nah, she's a carrot muncher

>> No.1758513
File: 46 KB, 230x230, BreakingBadWalterWhite071811.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1758503
Jesus, kid. I cant believe a fan of BoFIII is as douchey as you.
You get called out for being spaced out and your reaction is to... throw an embarrasing bitch fit?

Apply yourself.

>> No.1758532

>>1758494
Kind of, they are both different species of "Grassrunners".

>> No.1758895

BOF4 suffered from some retarded censorship in the west. Certain important scenes were just crudely CUT OUT of the game, leaving some confusion.

>> No.1758953

>>1758895
I've only heard of the Emperor's beheading, Ursula's panty drop and the hot springs scene.

I, uh...other than the one with the emperor, I can't see how they might be important. Are there others?

>> No.1758965

>>1758268
>Also BoF5 ending is a verdure green pasture.

yeah and it took god knows how many years for the environment to stop sucking

there's a reason everyone moved under ground

>>1758953
>>1758895

just those, and really aside from the Emperor's decapitation it's just stupid sex that adds nothing to the game that was cut with such surgeon like precision you'd never know they where even there at all had people not whined about it

>> No.1758968

>>1757468
This is such a lame copout. I don't give a shit what they were trying for (or what you THINK they were trying for), the end result was a boring wreck. It's like the intro to Star Ocean 2.

>> No.1759048

>>1758968
Please lets not compare a solid hour of pointless preamble with having fun as a little scamp with your two brothers only to have it taken from you.

>> No.1759120

BoF III is definitely my favorite of the series. I like just about all of the plot, characters, music, and visuals. The fishing mini-game is fucking amazing, too.

Really, the only thing that frustrates me about playing it is all those forced mini-games you have to complete to progress. Training Beyd is the one that immediately springs to mind, but there are a LOT of them sprinkled throughout the entire game. The ones that force you to use Garr to haul something are by far the most unbearable though.

>> No.1759185

>>1757978
I cannot abide this theory.

I saw too much high tech in 1-3, they are all post some disaster. 5 is post disaster too but it is the closest to it, they still have some idea what it was and are still living in the fallout shelters.

4 is a parallel world because I swear I remember several characters flat out saying it. Also no tech except magitek, so if its not parallel, its probably the first.

>> No.1759190
File: 384 KB, 160x120, tumblr_m5gm6o9GfR1r6s9rno5_250.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1759185
>so if its not parallel, its probably the first.

that's exactly what the theory says you dingus.

>> No.1759209

There's a trick to training Beyd, by having Nina in the front of your party, and Ryu and Peco in the back, in Attack Formation. That way if he attacks Nina (higher probability), she won't use Reprisal like the others.

cast Protect or Shield on Beyd a couple of times, and have Nina and Peco whittle him down to critical health, until he starts defending. Cast Shield again, and plunk away at him, until you heal him and start the process over again.

If you do two training nights like this, Beyd's defense will be so high that Zig won't be able to hurt him and you can just watch him muscle his way through the fight, casting heal for the odd critical hit.

>> No.1759235

>>1759209
Its still a waste of time.
Hell, I had more use just grinding the shit out of Ryu, and using whatever that move Bunyan teaches you that can hit like 11 times.

If you deal enough damage you can oneshot Zig with it, and if Zig gets one shot its automatic win.

The problem with BoF3 is that unlike FF7 or other JRPG is the non-RPG mini-game type stuff is.. fucking terrible. Training Beyd, the Shisu quest, rope pulling minigame, gathering gears and shit for the boat, the desert of death. It was all fucking terrible, and to top it all off, its all mandatory.

>> No.1759287

>>1759235
Oh I dont know, I thought they were quite good. It's not like they're very hard at all.
I 100% agree with you on the desert of death though. False instructions are way uncool. (plus to get the life armor and royal sword, good god, who would ever be able to without following a guide?)

>> No.1759730

>>1759287
Oh, Christ. Last time I played, I was having so much fun until I hit the DoD. Forgot about the directions being wrong and spent the next couple of days (real life time here) slogging through to the Oasis. Fuck me, what a joy-kill.

>> No.1759749
File: 133 KB, 1338x519, boffaces.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I made this long ago when these were the fad on /v/. This is exactly how I feel about the BoF series. 4 is such a gem of a game, the others are pretty decent too except for Dragon Quarter which is pure garbage.

>> No.1759763

>>1759749
>I over II
Really? I mean that was my first JRPG and I have very fond memories of it but in the end it was painfully bland, absolutely the most mediocre and formulaic JRPG ever made. Did the awful translation of II throw you off so much?

>> No.1759772

>>1759763
2 was both too slow-paced and too much of a grind for me. YOu get to a new town and you have to spend the next two hours saving up gold and levels, over and over. And even after all the grinding you might still reach a boss that'll just rape your ass.

>> No.1759814

>>1759749
>nobodys opinion EVER

>> No.1759823
File: 104 KB, 1024x768, lin-agent-of-trinity-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1759749
>Hating on DQ

fuck you Low D

>> No.1759834

>>1759749
Wasn't going to be the first to mention dragon quarter because not retro, but that game is fucking brilliant. The only thing missing is a fishing mini-game, but this is understandable, given that there's no where to shoe-horn something like that into the game proper.

>> No.1759846

>>1759823
What annoyed me about Dragon quarter is when you are like....at 4% D-counter and the sub officer is all "you only got this far because of your Dragon power" Fuck off you cunt!!!!! Outside of that mandatory battle, i havent used it once, just been tactical and shit.

Also when you get a better d-rank, the story pretends you dont and are still a 1/256 scrub, for fucks sakes.

>> No.1759853

>>1759846

well by alright you should be seriously fucking dead without your D-power on account of faggot stabbing you in the neck

>> No.1759856

>>1759834
>, given that there's no where to shoe-horn something like that into the game proper.

they could have added underground streams easy enough.

thing is it would have killed the pacing dead. Story wise you don't have time to really sit around as 2/3s of your party is basically dying and you got the government hot on your heels

>> No.1759860
File: 1.06 MB, 1800x2659, 1291602717443.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1759853
Dammit I cant refute that. I just wanted to let that lady know I was a badass without that system and by my own intellect along.

Yes im fully aware that made me sound like a fedora wearing trombonist.

>> No.1759987
File: 2.75 MB, 1920x1080, 2nd best bof.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1759823
Katt is the best

>> No.1759997
File: 24 KB, 173x178, 2208413-bosch2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1759987
>Katt
>not Bosch

>> No.1760018

I always thought the original SNES was the best but its probably the nostalgia talking.

>> No.1760020

>>1760018

mostly likely as they're honestly kind of crap

>> No.1760027

>>1757261
Fairly generic series of JRPGs that get attention because Capcom.

That's just me though. I basically just played the first one, hated it and then never bothered again. So I could be totally wrong here.

>> No.1760039

>>1760027
The first game is incredibly generic and mediocre, you are right. It gets better though as they actually expand on the dragon transformation, fishing, shamans/masters and other trademark gimmicks, and plots get immeasurably better in the latter games. The first game isn't representative at all, though you're kinda right that the series wouldn't have taken off and became what it has if it wasn't for the Capcom label because of just how generic and bland the first game was.

>> No.1760042

>>1760027
Please play the third. Like you, I hate 1. Honestly i dont get what the big deal is about 2 either.

4 is alright, but suffers from tedious settings and pacing for the first 8 hours.

Dragon quarter is definitely an acquired taste and nothing like the previous installments, but it is a clever game without being too complicated. Almost like a roguelike really, I really dig it.

>> No.1760047

>>1760042
Oh but having said that, the music for 4 is excellent. I let a game get away with absolute murder as long as it's OST is sick.

BoFIII has an equally amazing ost, check this shit out yo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O7OY3M0Ftc&index=79&list=PL203C53C62475E81D

>> No.1760103

>>1759860
It's like they wanted the game to be better than it was.

I thought there was going to be tons of combos and shit... nope, x strike. that's about it mother fuckers.

then I thought, ooh, I'll get totally different dialog when I have a higher d-rating... nope

Some extra random item drops.

ffffff

>> No.1760217

>>1757261
Only played the -retranslation of 2 on the SNES. I want my time back.

>> No.1760349

>>1760047
Hahaha, I knew what track this would be before I even clicked [Embed], and it was already playing in my head.

Muh-nigra.

>> No.1760397

>>1760217

to be fair the retranslation was ass in it's own unique weaboo way

>> No.1760539

>>1760397
I liked it but there are definitely some moments where it feels like the translator tried too hard to be Woolsey.

>> No.1760630

>>1760539

if he was being Woosely he would have left the American names.

>> No.1760678
File: 66 KB, 640x435, breath of fire SNES boxart american squaresoft.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If it wasn't for this cheesy cover I probably would have never discovered the series as a kid

>> No.1760807

>>1760397
>>1760539
I'll agree that it does have some rather odd faults, but I still feel it's better than the original.

>> No.1760823

BoF DQ is the best Breath of Fire.
Best music, hardest of the lot, and actually a really awesome tactical game if you liked Parasite Eve style combat.

People who don't like it never understood it and need to spam attack ad nauseum via grinding to beat RPGs.

>> No.1760826
File: 31 KB, 467x445, 02996b3e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1757261
One of my top 3 favorite games. I am a huge fan of the Breath of Fire series and personally I love every entry (yes even DQ even though it's barely a BoF game).

Personally: 3 > 2 > 4 = 1 > DQ

>> No.1760993

>>1759814
>nobodys opinion EVER
Please get a blog and stay there.

>> No.1761043
File: 110 KB, 575x800, tumblr_luat7x1Iei1qginzlo4_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1760042
>4 is alright, but suffers from tedious settings

4 has one of the best settings of the series and was an incredible change of pace of the tired European castle fair

>and pacing for the first 8 hours.

versus 3's entire first half?

you know what else was great about 4

THE DRAGONS.

they where so weird

>> No.1761052
File: 763 KB, 843x927, momo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1757362
>>1757371
>>1757423
>>1757265
>>1757280

You people are crazy. The worst thing about the Balio and Sunder chapter of the game is that you can easily get spear-headed into parts of the game under-equipped, or under-supplied. The game really does love to keep you from moving freely during that portion of the game. But it's not that big of a deal if you know what to expect and prepare accordingly.

Besides: Game has Momo.

>> No.1761054

>>1757573

>The entire second (adult Ryu) portion of the game can pretty much be summed up as "Let's go journey to this place on the other side of the world!"

You forgot: "And demand that Garr's God tell us why he had Ryu's people slaughtered."

>> No.1761057

The stupid little kid part in 3 would have been a lot better if it was as long as the stupid little kid part in 2.

>> No.1761059

>>1757576
>>1758252

If you talk to people in Windia, they mention him vaguely robbing houses and shops. Or at least someone that fits that description.

But that could just be a mistranslation, or the script being stupid.

>> No.1761073

>>1761057

Please don't run with all that edge.

>> No.1761079
File: 230 KB, 724x520, Can't show that on a christian imageboard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1761052
>>1760826
>Drawing Momo without her bunny nose

Why do people do such things

>> No.1761098

>>1761073
>implying that was edgy
It was a severe misstep to have such a large part of the game feature a child as the protagonist. Kids are terrible protagonists; they're either totally out of their depth and unable to comprehend what's going on, or they're being bossed around by adults. Which is exactly what happens in 3.

I mean shit, imagine if Luke Skywalker was nine years old for the entire first Star Wars movie. Can you imagine how horrible that would have been?

>> No.1761103

>>1761098

It wouldn't have been any different really, he was getting bossed around the whole time by folks more competent than himself. That is a bad example to use. Now imagine if INDIANA JONES was 9 for his first movie appearance.

>> No.1761150

the weird part of the child part of 3 was that not only was it too long it was too short.

There's not near enough time spent with Rei and Teepo and the separation and ultimate reunion was a ant climax.

fuck you basically quit searching for them almost immediatly

>> No.1761163

>>1761150

Well, Garr basically convinces Ryu that Balio and Sunder more than likely killed Rei and Teepo, and that Ryu only survived because he's Brood. Then he starts telling Ryu he's going to take him somewhere special and tell him about his ancestry.

>> No.1761164

>>1761079

I had a hard time finding any decent Momo art.

>> No.1761204

>>>1761150
>he starts telling Ryu he's going to take him somewhere special and tell him about his ancestry.

That old chestnut eh? My uncle said a similar thing to me many years ago.

>> No.1761230

>>1761204

Now you're gay.

>> No.1761259
File: 136 KB, 894x894, iloveyouonisan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1761230
>Garr is love
>Garr is life

>"There's no need to brood"

>> No.1761345

I like the series very much. My favorite is probably 3 and 4 as a close second. I have no input on DQ since I never played it.

>> No.1761502
File: 168 KB, 591x874, 1368158680725.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1761164
indeed

>> No.1761532
File: 56 KB, 800x1023, 1365232933856.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1761502

>> No.1761549
File: 287 KB, 700x875, 24281657.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

needs more Ursula

>> No.1761556
File: 77 KB, 850x531, 1365240245266.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1761549
perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

>> No.1761562
File: 213 KB, 546x364, 1322414201415.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1761502
>>1761532
>>1761549
>>1761556

Proceed for now, but do not....NOT let this devolve into a waifu fag thread which regrettably ass BoF threads tend to become after a short while.

>> No.1761583

I've always loved the BF franchise.

Unfortunately the new one looks like a fuck up.

I think my favorite are probably II, III, and DQ.

I saw earlier in the thread someone was trying to explain how the whole plot line works between all of the games. It's been many years since I've played through any of these but I'm having trouble following the story.

>> No.1761587

>>1761562
Admittedly, normally it's because of one sole kattfag.

>> No.1761592

>>1761583
>new one

that fucking mobile game?

No, that's not Breath of Fire.

>> No.1761603

>>1761592
People said the same about Dragon Quarter.

>> No.1761607

>>1761603
This is a very good point to make.

I don't have lot of faith in the mobile game unfortunately due to it's platform.. and Capcom's behavior for the last 5 years.

>> No.1761610

>>1761603
Some still do.

>>1761592
It's still BoF, but a different kind. You can thank Capcom, after megaman they just keep with this strategy.

>> No.1761621

>>1761603
This is Caocom were talking about, get real.

>> No.1761657

>>1761610
No mate im calling it right now, this is the BoF name tacked on to it to peddle, nowt more.

>> No.1761718
File: 26 KB, 596x560, higan-balanced 2014-06-26 01-21-18-37.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Katt General? Katt General.

>> No.1761723
File: 27 KB, 596x560, higan-balanced 2014-07-03 13-31-48-79.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1761730
File: 1.53 MB, 296x280, over 9k hours disassembling.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1761745

>>1761718
Careful.

>> No.1761749
File: 74 KB, 1152x1080, BTFO_257.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1761745

>> No.1761756
File: 359 KB, 172x161, are ya winnin son.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1761760
File: 241 KB, 296x280, BoFer_00.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1761764

>>1761749
I meant about this point >>1761562
take your waifu shit elsewhere please, it's quite sad and id like to talk about the actual games.

You HAVE played the games....right?

>> No.1761772

1 was sheer mediocrity.
2 was ruined by its extremely obnoxious encounter rate.
3 ranged from tedious to decent.
4 was okay.
5 was 5.

>> No.1761775

>>1761723
This looks terrible.

>> No.1761783 [DELETED] 
File: 2.09 MB, 288x270, blue nigger.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1761764
Right

>> No.1761791

>>1761783
Thank you. Sweet webm brah.

>> No.1761798

Favorite BoF III boss?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5CdtXm0Co8

Did we ever work out who that lady is at 5:00?

Ryu's real ma perhaps?

>> No.1761823
File: 2.24 MB, 296x280, autobattle[1].webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1761791
Everything with Katt is generally sweet

>> No.1761835

>>1761798
Can't really say I have a favorite but these 3 were some of the most annoying bosses in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ElRZYROdRw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZSyN9YBNVc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sit4o2LzV84

>> No.1761843

I honestly wish I could appreciate these games as everyone else. There's just not enough substance for me to hold on to.

>> No.1761867

>>1761835
Oh yes, Mikba especially, he had a very high crit chance....and multiple attacks on the same turn!

The battle is twice as bad if you never bothered to learn influence from an enemy either.

>> No.1761889

>>1761867
mikba has bonus armor gimmick

>> No.1761942

>>1761835
>that first battle
Not even close to challenging, you find Asbestos Armor, turn Ryu into like... Frost + Defnder or Frost+Thorn and wreck the shit out of them with Frost Breath. Then you have like Garr who has natural fire resistance and potentially Peco/Nina/Momo as a third for buffs/healing/support and you're fine.

>Mikba
Hardest boss in the game.
Rei starts the battle dead, a single reprisal will kill Rei (even in Weretiger) and he has a ridiculous Reprisal rate, combine that with you only have Garr or Nina (I hope you used him Garr after the Tourney until now).

Multi-strike is actually his preferred attack because its a 50% damage attack up to 3 times. So sometimes it will only go off once.

This battle was by far the hardest and longest, simply because it was constantly reviving Rei having him go Weretiger, and dying almost immediately after.

>> No.1761989

>>1761783
I don't get what's happening here, could someone explain this to me?

>> No.1762004

>>1761989
Katt waifu fag is making Katt solo the game.

>> No.1762063

>>1761657
It's said that's exactly what happened with DQ too, because the BoF tag isn't even on all versions of the game.

I'm not saying it isn't BoF, but this has happened before.

>> No.1762136

Anyone find it interesting about how BoF's designs talk about how the world changed?

>IV had everyone more or less human
>1-2 everyone was more or less heavily anthro except for the protag, which was still moreso than in IV
>3 is slightly less anthro but still very present

It's like something happened to trigger evolutionary changes somewhere after IV, and it started to end at 3's era to be completely gone again at DQ.

>> No.1762148

>>1762136
You forgot Scias, so it wasn't anything like that. They did get more and more human as later games came out though, which is odd considering IV is the beginning.

>> No.1762154

>>1762136
The jap furry train lost steam towards the turn of millenium. Same time animal mascots lost popularity in the west.

>> No.1762213

>>1761942
For Scylla, Charybdis, and Gisshan, I had Ryu, Garr, and Peco, because I wanted my less-used characters to get some levels - it was still an unintentional party for him though.

Early on I lost all my AP for Ryu, so I more or less brute-forced my way through the fight with Peco using items to heal the party. It was fun.

Mikba was a real bastard though. I didn't lose the fight, but it was really tense juggling healing, defending, and attacking.

Is there a place to buy items that restore AP? I haven't made a shop in the fairy village yet, so maybe that's where they are holding off on me.

>>1761150
>>1761163
In general I feel the transition between child and adult phases in the game was a little impactless and anti-climactic. No one seems to really react that you've been gone for -what, 5 years? 7? 10?

>> No.1762218
File: 297 KB, 1280x320, H&H_UMvC_BOF.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Speaking about Breath of Fire, didn't they announce a card(?) game ages ago that featured a bunch of BOF cameos? I think they even showed a Nina in japanese clothes or some shit.
What happened to that?

>> No.1762236
File: 91 KB, 1024x768, barubary.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1762218
>Picking the worst character from 2
No one cared and it is what happened

>> No.1762276
File: 912 KB, 998x1529, Oni_Soul_Nina[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1762218
Some browser game called Onimusha Soul. Came out two years ago.

No idea which Nina she's supposed to be, though.

>> No.1762287

>>1762213
Honestly, for a more complete and satisfying game of Bof 3 you should be participating in the fishing more. Trading for Manillo's stuff throughout nets you pretty neat stuff. Including wisdom seeds and fruit.

>Not spending an hour at the start fishing for Silver knife and iron helms

>> No.1762291
File: 41 KB, 320x240, bof7mockup1x1[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh, if only.

>> No.1762335

>>1762276

looks like Nina 3

>> No.1762378

>>1762291
Whereas crisp spritework is timeless, the archaic busywork mechanics belong in the past.
Dragon Quarter did it right by making encounters intense and engaging while most of Capcom's peers were busy plunging the genre into the stagnant shitter where it still lingers.

>contrarian opinions

>> No.1762479
File: 169 KB, 753x800, 950097-lin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1762378

well if I said it once I must have said it a thousand times.

Id much prefer a shorter well paced game than a 60 hour epic that takes 20 to get good and the other 40 is cutscenes, characters repeating things and running around like idiots

>> No.1762508

>>1762291
Not sure about the character designs but this makes me want a proper BoF soooo bad. Which we will never ever get.

>>1762378
Dragon Quarter was, aside from weird in-game character models compared to artwork, a nearly flawless video game

>> No.1762515

>>1762508
I thought Bosch was quite good. Real little turd he was.

>> No.1762519

>want to play DQ
>you have to keep restarting
>when your dragonwhatever thing reaches 100% you're forced to restart
>motivation to play drops to 0

FUCK
THIS
SHIT

>> No.1762527
File: 513 KB, 800x1200, 33648338_p0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1762519
>>you have to keep restarting

you don't

>>when your dragonwhatever thing reaches 100% you're forced to restart

that means you literally suck at the game. If you hit 100% it's literally because you're an idiot, you can lap the world twice and barely hit 50

>> No.1762543
File: 177 KB, 768x1024, BoschBF5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

fuck this faggot

>> No.1762554

>>1760678
ryu doesn't even look like that what the fuck

>> No.1762568

>>1762554
remember the cover of megaman 2?

yeah, the NES/SNES era wasn't a good time for cover arts...

>> No.1762601

>>1762213
Im pretty sure its 10 years. Which makes a fucking lot of the shit in the game seem fucking ridiculous.

Rei being a dick and "hunting down" the dudes who ordered the hit takes him ~10 years where as you find out in a matter of what, an hour or two after coming back?

Its just odd. I think Rei is the best character in BoF3 but honestly the whole beginning section of the game with Rei/Teepo and Ryu "bonding" is pretty loose, and the game depends on it as a major plot point. The entire meeting Rei/Teepo could've been completely rewritten, hell, the entire game could've been completely rewritten so we don't have to back track through the same areas again.

BoF3 was a mess, its a decent JRPG, but its all over the place, ranging from a massive disconnect between child-adult plots, completely unbalanced gameplay (Ryu > everyone and its not even fucking close), forcing party members you may not want to use (Mainly Momo being forced into your party for pretty much every dungeon crawl in the later part of the game), bad forced tangent quests (Beyd, shisu, all the dumb minigames, etc)

It just feels empty. Like you do nothing, then you reach the desert and the plot starts to unfold but you don't give a single shit.

>> No.1762621
File: 2.79 MB, 2100x3366, bof2-lg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1762554
>he doesn't know

>> No.1762658

>>1757960
>faux-olde Englishe
He speaks rather normally in the japanese version, even if he uses a little archaic language. They really went over the board on that english. but I didnt think it was that bad

>> No.1762675
File: 60 KB, 728x1111, ssomething_or_other_boffiv_vol04_ch22_extras.180.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1762658

They kind of had no choice. Fou's personality and mannerisms are all very regal and archaic. IT looks weird but it's kind of supposed too, he's waking up form however many centuries

as for it being ye olde english well they kind of didn't have a lot of options, we basically got ye olde English and that's it as far as regal dialects go.

Even the guys who did the manga went with ye olde english and they where weeb enough to leave in Sans and nii-chan every which way

>> No.1762704

>>1762675
Gotta agree with you on that
The manga was fucking awesome, by the way.

>> No.1762710

>>1762675
>.jpg quality
>mangafox watermark

aaaaaah, you guys piss me off.

>> No.1762714
File: 336 KB, 650x971, Chest McCheston.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1762554

>> No.1762723
File: 220 KB, 478x358, aura-dragon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1762710
>aaaaaah, you guys piss me off.

well excuse me but as far as I know there's not a clean torrent of it available.

Did I mention how much I love these dragons BTW?

>> No.1762730
File: 6 KB, 240x160, BoF1 boss.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

so uh..the fuck?

>> No.1762738

>>1761772
>2 was ruined by its extremely obnoxious encounter rate.
Let me guess, you equiped Bow, Sten and Katt with the Collars you found during the game, right?

Fucker, the Collars are cursed items that increase the encounter rate to kingdom come.

>> No.1762745

>>1762276
>>1762335
It's Nina Two, double niggers.

>> No.1762758

>>1762276
>Onimusha Soul

I always wanted to play this game but I can't read moon runes

>> No.1762776

>>1757978
>>Bof 3 happens the party defeated Myria and in doing so the desert of death begins to cover the earth.
This makes no sense, since the final scene of BoF3 is a sprout growing from the desert. The entire theme of BoF3 is of children growing up and becoming independent of overbearing mothers.

>> No.1762778

>>1762730
Oh god, please bring back nignog version of Karn

>> No.1762785
File: 953 KB, 866x1703, nina 3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1762745

the wing shape and hair cut are very decidedly three

>>1762776

they flat out say that Myria was basically the only thing keeping the desert at bay

>> No.1762786

>>1762723
I love BoFIV but its dragon designs always bothered me. I don't hate them, I just find them very strange. Are they based on dragons from some culture I'm not familiar? With the very obvious Chinese influence in the game, I expected them to look more like the snake-esque dragons rather than the strange variety of bug/woodland animal/scorpion looks they have in the game.

>> No.1762789

>>1762776
I mean...lol, you're not wrong but....you're definitely oversimplifying that.

>> No.1762790

>>1762738

the encounter rate was pretty bad dude collar or no

>> No.1762798
File: 97 KB, 500x700, tumblr_luat7x1Iei1qginzlo5_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1762786

there's a lot of Korean elements in there as well.

http://lparchive.org/Breath-of-Fire-IV/Update%2029/

some light reading for you.

I love how unconventional they are, can't get enough

>> No.1762812

>>1762785
>Black wings

it's very obviously Nina 2

>they flat out say that Myria was basically the only thing keeping the desert at bay

and now the embodiment of Yggdrasil takes up that role, but instead of holding it at bay, changes the land into the verdure plains it should have been, in a natural way.
Something Myria was not, she fucked around with nature too much.
Myria Space Station was shocking when you think about it. All those test subects that she basically cultured and send off into the eco system halfway around the world for funsies.

>> No.1762813

>>1757960
>>1762658

BoFIV's localization was pretty foul all around. It wasn't BoFII tier but it was pretty lazy what with untranslated parts such as the cinematic intro and slipshod censorship slapped all over the place.

Doesn't affect the overall quality of the game to much but it's definitely not acceptable by today's standards and expectations.

>> No.1762828

>>1762812
Not at all nina2s shape of wings

>> No.1762829

>>1762813
>such as the cinematic intro

what the hell did you want them to do here gut the intro and replace it with a orchestral

>censorship slapped all over the place.

there where like three scenes and at least two of them where just stupid sex jokes taken out with such finesse you wouldn't even know they where there until someone on the internet told you to complain about it

>> No.1762832

>>1762723
Batoto.

>> No.1762839

>>1762785
Myria and her cult tell you that. Yggdrasil and Deis tell her that she's wrong. And after Myria is deposed, we see life start to bloom in the desert of death.

>>1762789
But that's what the game is. There are four mothers in BoF3:

Ryu's mother dies for him.

The Nue terrorizes the countryside to provide for cubs that she's accidentally smothered and killed.

Nina's mother tries to confine her for fear of her safety.

Finally, Myria, the 'mother goddess' tries to control all of her 'children'. She deemed the dragons a threat, so she tried to have them wiped out. She fears what would happen should her children become independent, so she brings about disasters to set them back while arranging for things to wash up on the shores and provide technologies that she deems safe.

In the end Ryu, the player, has two paths: he can choose to rebel and take ownership of his decisions like Nina, or he can live in fear of himself and give up his freedom of choice like Teepo.

>> No.1762856
File: 278 KB, 1023x2221, cycevssentianels.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1762839
>She deemed the dragons a threat, so she tried to have them wiped out

you know the problem with this is the same problem I have withX-men

>Oh no we're not really a threat at all we just have unstoppable god like powers and no intention to compromise in regards to how the rest of society handles them

>> No.1762864

>>1762829

No raging sperglord, the script was heavily edited as well and they changed a lot of the dialog.

>> No.1762894

>>1762856
Garr and Gaist both say that the Brood didn't fight back, though. Gaist even tells you that history is a lie and that the Guardians started the war.

Myria moved against the dragons not because of anything they did, but because of the potential threat they could have hypothetically posed to the other races.

>> No.1762908

>>1762894

Or possibly to her, and she's a filthy fucking liar.

>> No.1762910

>>1762864
His is right, nothing of value was lost, EOP

>> No.1762936

>>1762908
That's a possibility, but it would differentiate her from the other two on-screen mothers in the game. Both the mother nue and Sheila are genuinely trying to care and provide for their children, but don't understand the futility or harm that their actions have caused. I see BoF3 Myria as a well-intentioned extremist.

>> No.1763176

>>1762812
what test subjects are you talking about? The rehashed boss' ?

Like Rocky the Chicken or that Unicorn that Balio and SUnder combine into?

>> No.1763350

>>1762936

I don't, because she has the capacity for evil, and evil creatures will lie, cheat, and persuade their way out of danger.

But you do make a good point. I guess it need some investigation.

>> No.1763375

>>1763350

Her lying robes the confrontation of a lot of it's impact.

the best villains always believe they're doing the proper thing.

>> No.1763520

>>1762790
Collar made it a nightmare of 3 steps and RANDOM BATTLE LOL.
From what I do remember, Collars were meant to be used for grinding and rare drop farming.

>> No.1763525

>>1762828
It's Nina 2's dress.

Nina. Red leotard and rapier.
Nina 2: Dark dress with a hi-leg cut.
Nina 3: Red dresses as both kid and adult.
Nina 4: Light blue dress with a white "shoulder cape"
Nina 5: While prisioner-like "camisole" as she was just a lab specimen.

>> No.1763884

>>1763525
>It's Nina 2's dress.

No it's a new kimono thing they invented for their card games. Even fucking Resident Evil characters have them

>> No.1763935

>>1762908
Please don't talk about Mother that way, she just wants to protect us.

>> No.1764426

>>1757261
slightly off topic but when will any of these fuckers end up in a marvel vs capcom I feel I was cheated in that now the games are that weird 3d style instead staying sprite based... fuck me a ryu dragon form super would of been awesome

>> No.1764441

>>1757261
i like to play this game every year for some reason. the aesthetics and music of this game really do it for me and It may be my fave in that department. I wish it did expand more on the kids relationships with teepo so you could get more of a feel for him or even a lil more teepo into the story would have been nice.

>> No.1764465

>>1764426
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I think I saw some "Capcom vs" concept art featuring BOF3 Ryu some years ago.
Of course, they never went forward with it.

>> No.1764469
File: 279 KB, 1200x1694, 001cover[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1761259
You really want to go there, bro?
Shall I show you "dis spear"?

>> No.1764471

>>1764426
I thought about this but then realised that people would get confused because A. Ryu is the name of the dude from the street fighter series. B. Which incarnation would they have to represent him in MvC3 anyway?

>> No.1764472

>>1763935
>protect
you mean control, and she's not above killing off as many people as it takes to maintain that control
fuck Myria with a rake

>> No.1764482

>>1759749
The first BoF is really archaic and repetitive, even boring at times, imo.

>> No.1764493

>>1764469
Oh for gods sakes Japan

>> No.1764756
File: 186 KB, 800x2236, utsurowazarumono-breath-of-fire-iv-1299564.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just a little reminder of how good the manga is

>> No.1764770
File: 54 KB, 700x700, 1365188896179.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1764756
awesome

>> No.1765596 [DELETED] 

>reporting my gameplay webm
Kill yourselves, niggers

>> No.1765662 [DELETED] 

Katt-fags really are the worst.

>> No.1765679
File: 18 KB, 315x253, 239781-bof3kss_2_super.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I realize and am willing to admit I'm probably 100% nostalgia blind here, but to me, BoF III is the greatest JRPG ever made. Just so many memories of it growing up with my older brother.

>> No.1765713

>>1765679
Play the game, duder.

>> No.1765751

>>1765679
Me too bro, me too.
All these replies i see complaining about the most trivial shit I am just bewildered by.

>> No.1765763
File: 798 KB, 951x696, aura 2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1765751
>All these replies i see complaining about the most trivial shit
>bad pacing, story, characters, motivation
>trivial

look pal it's cool you like the game but don't sit there and pretend this shit isn't something worth mentioning

you can only say you love something when you admit to it's faults and like it despite them.

>> No.1765773

>>1762812
Come to think of it, was BoF3 Myria really that bad? I mean, it's been a hell of a long time since I've played BoF3, but I don't really remember why we went to kill her other than revenge for murdering the brood. I mean, if the MC wasn't a dragon himself, why would he care?

>> No.1765776
File: 78 KB, 600x450, barubary.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1765773

it was some vague notion that she controlled humanities destiny or some shit.

It was a stupid nothing "YOU CAN'T TELL US WHAT TO DO WITH OUR LIVES! WE ARE FREE"

kind of bullshit when really from what we saw of the world most people went about their business without a care in the world and seemingly no signs of external control.

>> No.1765789

>>1765763
You say these things like they're set in stone and not your own rhetoric.

>> No.1765791

>>1765789

and you sound like someone who's trying to convince themselves that their object of fanboy devotion is good rather than the people around you.

>> No.1765797

>>1765773
Nina wasn't happy she wanted Ryu dead

Garr felt the order to kill the brood was unneccesary, felt guilty about it had to ask her about it

Rei had a shitty life and couldn't believe a goddess sat by and did nothing as awful things happened

Peco was just a servant for Yggdrasil and wanted her to stop interfering

And Ryu pretty much wanted freedom

Momo is the odd one out, I mean she went there for answers but no reason to kill Myria other then mob mentality

>> No.1765798

>>1765776
The world was plenty fucked up. The game was finding answers, nothing more.
This isnt some save the world bullshit, this is just one mans motivations that dont really concern anyone else outside of his immediate group, so it's not bullshit at all.

What does Ryu get for coming all this way to see her? The answers yes, but also a grim ultimatum to now live under her thumb or die. How about "fuck you" !

>> No.1765805

>>1765791
I dont need to convince myself of anything because this is how I truly feel, dont be an obnoxious fuck.

>> No.1765809

>>1765791
Woah, anon. Let's just let people enjoy things.

>> No.1765817

>>1765809
>Woah, anon. Let's just let people enjoy things.

I didn't say don't enjoy it. I didn't even say the game was on whole bad. I just said be honest.

>> No.1765929

>>1765662
It's really just the one

>> No.1765932

>>1765773
They didn't go to kill her. Garr suggested the journey as a way to ask her why the war was necessary and try to convince her that Ryu wasn't a threat.

>> No.1765982

>>1762856
That's sort of how I think of it, not looking at the game from the MC's point of view, but from that as a normal villager. Of course, by that same reasoning, I wouldn't be comfortable having Myria around either, what with being just as strong as the brood.

Both of them turned out to be somewhat benign though in recent memory, Myria only attacked the brood, and the brood is never shown to have hurt anyone.

>> No.1766015

being a n00b kid i suffered like hell, the fights were kinda hard, i didnt know how to use the dragons and got lost as f on that goddamn desert

>> No.1766132

>>1760047
>BoFIII has an equally amazing ost, check this shit out yo.

i'm listening to that playlist now and i can see i had a severely biased opinion on the game's soundtrack. i kept telling myself it was shit but i honestly barely remember anything from it now and probably just thught of it as bad due to my distaste of the game. still can't get over the cave music though.

>>1762276
>>1762335
>>1762745
it is a combination of nina 3's likeness and nina 2's colors

>> No.1766278

>>1766132

eh I liked the game and still think a few tracks aside the soundtrack was lacking to 4 or 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZwMhwky_J4

this and the final boss music where pretty tits though and I liked the opening tune.

>> No.1767120

>>1765776
>>1762236
my sides

>> No.1767430 [DELETED] 

>>1767120
Do you legitimately have something wrong with you?

>> No.1770618

Wont let this die fuck you

>> No.1770708

>>1770618
Y-you too...

Since this thread got me interested in the series again, I've been trying out DQ. I like it, but it really feels like a BoF game in name only. I tried out some fan-games too and they're bad. They made me remember a BoF fan-game that had a style similar to IV and a female Ryu. It looked promising but was apparently killed. It's gotten me a bit sad that the series has died like this.

>> No.1770752 [DELETED] 

>>1770708
>verbaly defining series solely by gameplay
>implying you won't cry over your precious dragoneer not being in the other game while it being an accurate resemblance of shitty outdated gameplay you are entitled to
>implying you are not a double standards nigger

>> No.1770771
File: 2.84 MB, 296x280, terapin_00.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1770618
Don't artificially hold shitty threads without/with a little to no Katt

>> No.1770780 [DELETED] 
File: 2.79 MB, 296x280, terapin_01.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sage included

>> No.1770787

>>1770752
I don't even know what you're trying to say. Are you incapable of expressing your thoughts in a concise manner?

>> No.1770954 [DELETED] 

>>1770780
Reported

>> No.1771258

So I've just defeated Gaist in BoFIII and am on my way to free Deis.

My party is all 22-23, except for Ryu who is 28. While only a few of the bosses have been a real pain in the ass so far (certainly Mikba and Zombie Dragon take the cake), I feel like I should be leveled up a bit more. Especially to get more skills for my party.

Is there a preferred grinding spot? I don't even know how much of the game I have left.

>> No.1771339

>>1771258
>Zombie Dragon take the cake)

cast heal idiot

>> No.1771503

>>1771339
Did not know that at the time, and i muscled my way through the fight. I had a suspicion that something like that would work, but I didn't want to waste precious AP so I tried Fire, which wasn't all that effective.

>> No.1771528

>>1771339
fuck i didnt know that at the time either

>> No.1771706

>>1771258
The uh... place. The mountain region that takes you from the checkpoint (Where you fought Mikba) back to the starting town has Goo Titans which give some good EXP. But honestly I'd consider just pressing on further without grinding too much and then grinding later, its night and day the stuff you get later on.

>> No.1771715
File: 13 KB, 240x180, bof3013.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1771706
>>1771258

im gonna tell you some advice I wish someone told me

DO NOT LEVEL GRIND!

not yet, you want to really take advantage of the master system and if you waste your levels you don't get them back

>> No.1771749

>>1771715
He has access to Bunyan.
Thats good enough for Ryu/Rei until you get to Deis, then its optional.

The easiest way to get some skills is just to have a sleeper (like Peco, Nina, or Garr) just be your skills bitch for the later Masters. I think the most common party setup is Ryu, Rei, Momo because
>weretiger
is like a Dragon-form-lite, and Momo is pretty much required for a large number of the later story dungeons, so it makes sense to have her in your main party. I personally did Ryu/Rei/Peco last time and it was a pain in the ass because I constantly had to switch out Rei or Peco for Momo and as a result was not really where I should be. Peco is a beast though.

Honestly, the game is easy and everytime I hear "Don't level grind! The master system! Gotta take advantage!" I die a little. I put Ryu and Rei on Bunyan almost the entire game, Peco on Faal the entire game, and moved Ryu to Deis once I could for some extra AP. I finished the game around ~40 I think, maybe 42 I'd have to check my save.

Notable enemy skills I learned:
>Influence
>Double Strike
>Multi-strike

>> No.1771861

>>1771749
>and Momo is pretty much required for a large number of the later story dungeons
and that is my biggest about this game. HERE MOTHERFUCKER USE THE FURRY MILF. seriously, i detested momo from day one and being forced to use her constantly was a huge turn off. rei sucks too

>> No.1771863

>>1771749
>Momo is pretty much required for a large number of the later story dungeons

This shit got me so mad. And I don't remember Nina being needed in any dungeons except for that puzzle in Momo's lair were she is in you party anyway.

>> No.1771875

>>1771863

It wasn't even Momo herslef that was useful, she mostly served as a vehicle for her little robot

>> No.1771887

>>1771875
Eh, I remember Momo doing a lot of tech stuff on dungeons. The party couldn't even move laser-reflector mirrors without her.

>> No.1771889

>>1771863
I just beat it like 2 weeks ago heres my take.

Rei
>Only required for like one thing, and its story during the part where you get to Teepo in Eden, you also coincidentally need Momo, but it lets you swap your party before the fight, but once the fight is over it defaults it back to Rei and Momo regardless of your party members

Garr
>Used for literally like 4 things. The Vinegar quest at the Tea House, the Rope Minigame at Steel Beach and moving a rock at Urtan Tapa and finally going to meet the other Dragonslayer dude after the tidal caves.

Nina
>As far as I remember you never really need to use her outside of when you only have her and Momo available, and when you're doing shit in the Castle like chasing down Honey.

Peco
>Need him for.. I actually don't think you need him for much, you have to have him for the Shisu quest to get shaly seeds, but thats all I can remember off the top of my head.

Momo
>The big fucking Kahuna of forced entry into your party.
>Pretty much anything related to Tech and shes forced in.
>The Plant shes forced in because shes the only one who knows about computahs
>Dealing with the Black Ship shes forced in
>Getting the teleporters to work shes forced in
>A handful of parts after that for computer shit
>She gets forced into your party to destroy some plants blocking your way in Eden

So basically shes hyper-intrusive so you may as well just use her because she's going to be in your party for like 1/2 the fucking second half of the game -anyways-

>> No.1771910

>>1771889

shame she aims like a storm trooper

>> No.1771925

>>1771910
Its pretty offset by the fact Ryu is a god damn wrecking machine. Rei also does a shitload of damage in Weretiger.

>> No.1771940
File: 553 KB, 1559x914, tropic_thunder_-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1771889
>be in boat
>chasing black ship and shit
>ask momo how do i boarded ship
>momo shoots a fucking dreadnought with her tiny pointy-shooty
>wat.jpeg
>black ship retaliates
>party barely makes it with their lives
>still need to board black ship
>ratgirl goes "let's ram a fucking dreadnought with our fishing boat with barely enough room for all of us to stand"
>mfw

>> No.1771956

>>1771940
This is also after you just spent the last 30 minutes - 1 hour looking for god damn parts to fix it

>> No.1771978
File: 124 KB, 636x468, Wyndia guards.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Hey, that kid who was in jail is trying to leave the city with the princess through the front gate. Should we stop them?

>Nah, I'm sure nothing bad is going to happen to them.

>> No.1772003

>>1771925
>Rei also does a shitload of damage in Weretiger.

until he starts attack you.

>> No.1772009

>>1772003
That's why Influence exists.

>> No.1772017

>>1772003
>>1772009
If your boss setup isn't
>Rei into Weretiger
>Ryu into whatever is most powerful dragon form
>3rd dude into Influence
I don't know what to tell you

>> No.1772018
File: 569 KB, 827x832, 3de5343393829faa9a25efc6edc06eed50d73a54.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1772003
Influence every 4 turns.

>> No.1772024

>>1772018
>>1772017

eh I don't like the idea of taking 2/3s of the party outside of my control

>> No.1772029

>>1762621
He looks like Conan.

>> No.1772051

>>1772024
Totally worth it, also add's another element of strategy to a semi-easy game.

>> No.1772058

>>1772051
>element of strategy
>repeat the same stuff every time because it is easy mode

you can only pick one.

>> No.1772071

>>1772058
Well, I dont know, when I say it's easy, it's only because I've played it 8 times and know the game almost as well as the damn devs.

It is decently challenging for a first timer

>> No.1772094

>>1772071
and because weretiger+influence makes the game easy mode it almost removes a layer of complexity and strategy altogether as it limits your options and narrows the decision tree

not that it is an inherently bad thing to have or that people shouldn't abuse it.

>> No.1772106

>>1772094
I guess so. I personally only use rei because of his speed bonus to use in chain formation and also because he's the most well rounded character aside from Ryu. Weretiger is too risky and somewhat boring.

>> No.1772124

does it bug anyone they never explain the weretiger? At all?

It's literally just him being all

>why was I given this power.....

HELL IF I FUCKING KNOW!?

>> No.1772152

>>1772124
Doesn't that just beat all?

>> No.1772169

>using Rei instead of Peco
make way, onion of doom coming through

>> No.1772220

>>1772124
Just like they never explained how Teepo got to the final dungeon.

>> No.1772309

>>1772220
Modern day capcom would make a DLC for it, reuse every location and npc dialog and charge as much as the main game.
Then bring out palette swap packs.

>> No.1772319

>>1772309
>implying Teepo and Ryu aren't already both palette swaps

There are bigger plot holes >>1772220

Like why Adult Teepo comes to Ryu in a dream at the beginning of the game? It makes zero fucking sense.

>> No.1772332

>>1772319
The Brood have mild premonition abilities. Same reason why Teepo knew Ryu's name at the start, same reason the elder did too. It's something to do with being caught up in a dragons streams, which was expanded on it IV

>> No.1772642

>>1772220

that really should have been a bigger deal than it was.

Frankly I think they should have left Teepo in the group for the whole childhood chapter and have Peco act as replacement in the adult

he leaves so early its hard to really build up any connection to the kid

>> No.1772665

>>1771258
As a small update - I did grind at least to get some skills and catch my party up to Ryu. Which is a big fucking joke because I quickly realized he will always be leagues ahead of the party.

Basically using Mt. Zublo since the Vulcans give 300 exp when you use fire on them, and the infamous Lavaman trick, I shoved everyone except for peco from early20s to late20s, levelwise. After I figured out the Lavaman thing, I didn't want to really break and ruin the game.

I'm afraid I already did though by bumping up Ryu and Nina to ~30 by the time of Steel Beach. Nina, apprenticed to Emitai (the guy you fight in the arena), has fuckin' mad INT and spells, and Ryu is just a solid tank. They probably have enough power to coast through a lot of the game on their own, but at least everyone else is a bit closer together. Peco is at level 17, and I can't find a real good spot to use him, because despite being buffed out with Fahl for a chunk of the game, he's just not doing great damage and has next to no magic spells to help out.

The way damage works is a little misleading in BoF3. Garr has much higher Strength than Ryu, but was only actually SURPASSING Ryu's damage output when his attack power was doubled with an item like the Beast Spear taken from Gaist's body. There must be some hidden stats that determine all this stuff, but it's annoying that the game doesn't explain this.

>> No.1772756

>>1772665
>The way damage works is a little misleading in BoF3. Garr has much higher Strength than Ryu, but was only actually SURPASSING Ryu's damage output when his attack power was doubled with an item like the Beast Spear taken from Gaist's body. There must be some hidden stats that determine all this stuff, but it's annoying that the game doesn't explain this.
Are you using attack formation? The point character gets a rather large attack boost.

Also, many of Ryu's dragon forms come with sizable attack power boosts, particularly the Warrior forms.

>> No.1772821

>>1772220
That always bothered me. Even if she came to him, why Teepo and not Ryu?

>>1772642
Or Peco should have never existed and Teepo stayed with you for the entire game.

He really should have gotten a bigger role. Hell, they should have made him the main reason why you even decided to go to Myria.

>> No.1772902 [DELETED] 

just looked through the archive and found my posts with gameplay webms and unusual opinions were deleted, assravaged ninaniggers were spotted

muh le hugbox

welp, time to kill the thread and all future bof threads at a sight of activities

>>1765929
>being a literal cockgobbling subhuman nigger and an excuse of a katt fan jumping on thin ninanigger's cock at the first opportunity while thin-skinned ninanigger is just pathetically defends its precious bulk with the only method it is cappable of: playing the victim
That's nice but don't involve Katt in your daily humilation, you fuckface

>> No.1772979

>>1772902
HahahahHAHAHA you fucking child

>> No.1772983

>>1772979
>HahahahHAHAHA
Something wrong, fuckface?

>> No.1772989 [DELETED] 
File: 24 KB, 666x666, spoiler_00.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1772990

>>1772821
Teepo thought Ryu and Rei were dead, his journey happened much like ryu's did (well, for the 30 minutes you were alone, at least)

The differences between their two journeys of discovery are timing and that Ryu had help on his path. Friends who he shared the experience with and gave him something irreplaceable. He got to sate his wonderlust, experiencing the whole damn world and it's denizens (apart from the continent past the checkpoint where you fight Mikba) This leads Ryu to the canon conclusion at the end. Teepo having lacked these things on his solitary journey we can assume either had a tough time of it and/or his path to Myria was not very enlightening as he has a narrow viewpoint when you're reunited with him.

As to how he got as strong as Ryu is quite the mystery though, also how he learned of Myria and crossed the ocean (perhaps he awoke to Dragon Lord form and flew across?)

God you're right, there's too many vague points.

>> No.1772992 [DELETED] 
File: 89 KB, 666x666, spoiler_01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1772996 [DELETED] 
File: 345 KB, 296x280, gimmick.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1772990
Couldn't write everything including >>1772979 in one post, faggot?

>> No.1772998 [DELETED] 

>>1772983
Just watching you flail your noodly arms around and ragecry like a bitter manchild just caught me unawares is all. I just expected the dialog of a /vr/ denizen to be more mature.

I cant speak for the rest of them but I assume your webm's or whatever were disruptive to the flow of the thread. Since you said "ninaniggers" then I guess it was about your fucking waifu or whatever? Dont let the thread devolve into that shit man.

>>1772989
We all die someday :(

>> No.1773000

>>1772990
>ryu understood because he broadened his horizons while teepo didn't
No shit faglord

>> No.1773005

>>1772998
>Just watching you flail your noodly arms around
Your kind shouldn't be playing with words here. Let alone you are new as fuck. The other way you'd understand who i am and what has already happened to dozens of bof threads.

>:(
Fuck off from 4chan shithead

>> No.1773008 [DELETED] 

>>1773005
I know exactly who you are now, you're the cancer of BoFIII threads. I've seen you do this time and time again and it's not happening with this one just because nobody's playing ball about using this as your Katt soapbox. Calm your tits and stop crying.

>damage control!
>DAMAGE CONTROL!!!

>> No.1773014

>>1773008
>no one playing ball
/v/, /vg/ and even /vr/ say otherwise. You are just new as fuck. Consider containing yourself on gamefaqs/reddit/tumblr where you belong.

>BoF3 nigger seriously trying to give the story some unknown heights while it being generic shit
You faggot are hilarious at least. Keep going.

>> No.1773017 [DELETED] 
File: 24 KB, 666x666, spoiler_00.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1773019 [DELETED] 
File: 89 KB, 666x666, spoiler_01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1773031 [DELETED] 
File: 57 KB, 666x666, bof6 dreams.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is anyone looking forward to BoF6?

>> No.1773043

...Anyways, multiple shit posting aside, lets get this thread back on track.

Does anyone have that fanmade Timeline BoF picture? It's been posted here before and though it wasnt exactly solid, it was an enjoyable bit of conjecture.

>> No.1773046
File: 2.83 MB, 288x270, literal.00.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1773043
>back on track
Lel

>> No.1773052 [DELETED] 

Of course it had to be the Kattfag.

>> No.1773056 [DELETED] 
File: 58 KB, 666x666, bleu in 4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bleu is one hot ass snake pussy

>> No.1773072 [DELETED] 
File: 2.69 MB, 288x270, literal.01.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>the only bof shitposters played is 3
>in rare occasions the other shitty postSNES prePS2 bof
Just friendly reminder your opinion doesn't worth jack shit unless you go educate yourselves. Don't shame us true bof fans. Us bofers won't share the same place with you, filth.

>> No.1773076
File: 2.60 MB, 288x270, literal.02.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1773072

>> No.1773079
File: 32 KB, 288x270, literal.03.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1773076

>> No.1773082 [DELETED] 

>bof
>good outside of based Katt
I am replaying 4 for 3rd time and it is shit. Ryu lvl 2, Nina lvl 6 (the only source of exp this whore got was some nigger summon fight), Ershin i-have-no-idea-what-level.

tl; i skipped every battle except necessary ones and to get Ryu lvl 2 and Rest from Goos (so i can escape battles changing into dragon form to tank shit and restore mp on battles with sleeping/confused/weak niggers);

tl; i raped the first boss (fish) like np even with Nina and Ershin being killed a lot in battles (i did it for the lulz and then escaped) so their max hp was much less than normal.

tl; game is press X to win except the battle with Fou-Lu; i've already solo'd it with Ryu till (including) 6 Ludia niggers assault on tower (it is enough to judge) and Ryu even when moderately grinded rapes everything including samurai-nigger-summon (the one who is vulnerable to combo attacks).

tl; bof sucks Birubiru's ass, Katt's game when

>> No.1773086

Looks like Capcom dropped formation mechanics in sequels like BoF3 simplified 2's and 4 completely removed it.

BoF2 allows you to change it during the battle and has "Defend" button though. BoF4 tried to put more weight into "Defend" (as i recall, there is master who buffs counterattack and devs wanted player to use Focus+Defend+counter attack) while removing formations.

>> No.1773092 [DELETED] 

>fanboys thinking 3 kept itself on track for the most part
Epic

In 2 they ask you to get a thing 1 for a thing 2. In order to get 1, you need to get 3. In order to get 3 - 4, etc. Except when getting them the player is being introduced to entirely new subplots correlating with the the main one. Progress through subplots is interpolated and it doesn't feel like complete fucking clusterfuck unlike 3.

In 3 they ask you to go ask 1st repairman, then ask the 2nd repairman, then ask 3nd repaiman, then fucking fairies at lighthouse, then fucking machive that needs repair. Is every of these possesed by Myria or whatever-cliche-there-is but i am an actual fucking retard who doesn't understand this deepness? Or, the more likely thing, it almost doesn't correlate with the main plot nor is an interesting subplot just by itself.

>> No.1773093

BoF3 review. Slow pacing: BoF3 just felt too slow, stuff seemed to drag on and on. forgettable music: most of it is ok but a few of them were just terrible. i.e. the cave music and the battle music. dialogue was cringe-worthy from what i remember. some plot elements were retarded like the transition from child to adult which, according to my notes, happened out of nowhere with no explanation whatsoever. screen faded out and faded in and just like that several years passed. also how half the game is spent looking for a boat.

but what ultimately made me dislike the game were the terrible main characters.

rei is annoying. "doesn't that beat all". what kind of catchphrase is that? grinded my gears everytime he said it.

teepo was ok.

nina is a whinny bitch and just annoying in general. sucks how useless she is in battle too.

garr had that holier-than-thou attitude but was bearable.

ryu started as a irritating crybaby but got better as the game advanced.

peco was cool actually. i liked the way you could rack up master skills easily with him and shape him to patch any hole you might have in your party.

now momo. i don't remember hating a main character more than i hated momo. she started promising but soon let me down with her terrible accuracy. she felt like a bad ryu with a few more spells. didn't help that the game forded me to use her from time to time. didn't help that she did dumb shit all the time when she was supposed to be a genius. case in point: shooting the black ship with her bazooka and, when that obviously failed, ramming it from behind. fuck you momo.

>> No.1773094

>go to some tower again through already traversed path
>nope, you can't go further, you must free some bitch
>go free her
>pointless ecchi scene
>she cannot help you here, you must return to whatever you came from
>return through already traversed path
>dialogue choises which doesn't affect anything
>we need the boat which we already struggled for but with no success
>NPC responsible for boat is not here
>must have useless party member to trigger NPC again
>must go find some parts in some new badly designed location
>you cannot enter the location because you must return and get permission from guildmaster
>return back to the location
>in the location you cannot enter the only child location because you must ask another NPC for permission to enter the child location
>asked everyone in current location and the appropriate NPC asks for another useless party member to stay in party to trigger "get a permission" event
>return through already traversed path to get a useless party member
>retarded minigame #9001
>random boss out of nowhere #9001

>minigames
>shitty shusi quest
>generally everything is the game is retarded ass-connected clusterfuck

I am quoting piece of shit game what is BoF3.

>> No.1773096

BoF3 is literally bumps the game since the main quest is forgotten because of shitty (not just slow) pace overextended with amount of these "bumps" and the game doesn't add more value into it so the player literally can't get motivated. These bumps are neither relevant to the main storyline nor are interesting subplots by themselves.

>> No.1773097

>>1773093
>BoFIII battle music terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vO4oOmVazQ

Stopped reading there, whole post compromised.

>> No.1773098

Speaking of BoF3. About this overrated entry of BoF series. The dragon genes mechanic which is the core of gameplay and which is marketed as something interesting in essence is nothing and do not add much variety.
>reverse gene becomes useless early and only works on form's element (i didn't get warrior reversing defensive form; game's shit)
>single gene forms are generally more effective unless you hacked the game for 9001 wisdom fruits or replayed this crap 9001 times
>useless dragon skills: the only good and generally used one is [Element] Claw
>[Element] Breath which is the magic equivalent of Claw sucks ass
>useless learnable abilities allegedly brough to add variety; looks like developers' meaning of variety is bringing more filler trash into the game just to fill the spaces of bad design. There are abilities that hasten some points of the game and only those brief-on-time points which you can get by just with your ordinary tricks.

>> No.1773104

Behemoth sucks ass: becomes forgotten a little later after being found, eats a lot of AP, only "good" against the don of sin city if you spam blitz although you can win with light whelp with a little more effort.

>> No.1773108 [DELETED] 

>>1773094
Ah yes I remember this post earlier on in the thread. Im surprised it got deleted, even though it made no sense and I called you out on it completely, it's not like you werent entitled to your opinion. That's a bit of report abuse right there.

>> No.1773109 [DELETED] 
File: 109 KB, 625x626, 1388070765375.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1773092
>>1773093
>>1773094
>>1773096
>>1773098
>>1773104

>> No.1773113

>>1773108
>called you out on it completely
In your dreams

>> No.1773115

>>1773113
and reality

>> No.1773117 [DELETED] 

>bof3 fanboys mad
heh

>> No.1773119

>>1773117
>waifu fag trying his darnedest to shit up a thread
heh

>> No.1773120

>>1773115
Please, let us not mistake dreams or some personal preferences for reality and logic

>> No.1773124

>>1773119
>waifufag
>doesn't limit himself with jacking to ebin pics but went deep inside the gameplay
>implying

>> No.1773127

There isn't a single neutral spectator who will prioritize ninashit while examining any bof (not just 2 where ninashit is nothing but some literal random like katt and everyone else - we suikoden now) on its own

>> No.1773130

>>1773120
right back at you, Mr Vague.

>> No.1773137

>>1773130
You said something bof3 shares the same 'features' with other jrpgs. You didn't defend your game on its own, you prefered to shit the whole genre together with your childhood obsession saying these flaws are common when they are not. This is the worst attitude. If it weren't coming from a BoF3 fan, it can actually be considered as ignorant and offensive.

>> No.1773141

Katt's drawbacks don't restrict her from doing better than ryu against terapin and eyeguards (if you want good ending) - these are the first that comes to mind

Speed attribute is crucial, suffering from lack of speed means if you don't have counter attack and firebreath_max+1 or 2xfirebreath_max hp+1, you are fucked. Ryu need retarded amount of grind early to do 2nd and less for 1st (spam helpbls (not herbs - enjoy expensive comsumables behemoth) on himself which triples amount of herbs need for katt).

>> No.1773143

>>1773141
Correcting myself:

For ryu retarded amount of time awaits him in either way. Way with counter attack and being able to tank 1 attack means you must run from battles to aquire super condition w/o lvl up. Or fill the whole inventory with herbs while "OK" and play a 40 min battle. The 2nd way is generally less costly on time spent in battles acquiring levels in comparison to acquiring super condition. But our behemoth now need helpbls in inventory which are costly and require wasting time on hunting.

>> No.1773170 [DELETED] 

>>1773109
>quoting only posts about 3
It is a very nice way to spot a frustrated fanboy.

It is like you really, really have only played 3 thus don't have enough shit to back you opinion up. Broaden your horizons, fanboy.

>> No.1773178 [DELETED] 

Let us rank breath of fire game, /vr/troopers! :P

2 >= DQ > 1 > 4 >>> 6 >3

>> No.1773192 [DELETED] 

>>1773170
Oh just fuck off out of this thread and make your own you miserable cunt. When 6 posts shitting on 3 are posted within the space of 3 minutes on here, half of which are reposts then yes, it is the same goddamn person.

>> No.1773196 [DELETED] 
File: 19 KB, 397x300, 1293076338469.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Abandon thread, guys. Completely fallen prey to a pathetic Kattfag.

captcha: rdayerr leave

>> No.1773205 [DELETED] 

>>1773192
You seem upset.

>> No.1773301 [DELETED] 
File: 9 KB, 247x300, maddave.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1773072
>>1773178
>>1773205
Hahaha jesus what a sperglord

>> No.1773438

>>1773086
Formation mechanics were the most important thing in the game? There was speed formation that could break most fights. Put highest speed on point everyone goes at his initiative. Whole party goes before enemies. Enemies one shorted because you cam into weakness.

>> No.1773471
File: 405 KB, 1305x1860, 1365172923637.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

II, III, IV are amazing underrated RPGs that everyone should play at least once.

My favorite aspect of the games are the sound effects. Outstanding engineering.

>> No.1773473

>>1773471
>underrated
No, the word doesn't mean "something I like". Stop using it like that. BoF is not underrated or obscure in any shape or form.

>> No.1773476

>>1773473
Not a greatest hit.

>> No.1773508

>>1773438
>Put highest speed on point everyone goes at his initiative.
This is wrong and i assume you are talking about BoF4. Every party member always go 1-2-3 no matter what value is assigned to speed attribute. But the monsters can insert themselves into 1-2-3 (not swap) and break combos. It is based on speed attribute. If you position the slowest character first and the other two in ascending by speed order, your combos are unbreakable but there is a risk of enemy having turn before the whole party.

The agility check against monsters is made at every party member's turn. Basically, if you put Cray first then Ryu and Scias, the first check is Cray against every monster. Let's assume pack of enemies has the same agility across it. There are three possibilities: enemy faster, the same or slower than Cray. I don't know about the same but in case of slower Cray has his turn before them. Since, 2-3's agility value is already > 1's and 1's > monster's, 2-3 do their turn before monsters at own checks. If you put Scias-Cray-Ryu, there is a risk of monster inserting himself after Scias when it is slower than him but faster than Cray.

>> No.1773630

>>1773508
http://bof.wikia.com/wiki/Formation#Chain
This guy.

>> No.1773742

Oh a BoF thread. Awesome.
Obligatory mention of the BoFII retranslation patch.

>>1757978
Lemme alter your timeline theory like so:
>BoFIV potentially can happen at any point, due to being an alternate universe
>Years before BoFI, Myria is defeated by original Ryu and his 7 companions
>BoFI happens, Myria is defeated again by current incarnation of Ryu and leaves behind Evans
>BoFII happens and Evans gets his shit kicked in by again, the current incarnation of Ryu.
>BoFIII happens the party defeated Myria (by again again, current incarnation of Ryu) and in doing so the desert of death begins to cover the earth.
>Humanity tries creating dragons of its own and fucks things up even worse
>BoFV happens
>Time passes so much from the desert's desolation, such that BoF universe is now the MH universe
>BoFIV's Sand Dragon becomes the first Jhen Mohran, breeds million of the giant fuckers
>MILLIONS

>> No.1773773

>>1772220
Speaking of him, where did he even come from? I don't remember the miners mentioning any dragon incident before Ryu's, the brood was supposedly extinct and Myria had a "brood radar".

It kinda feels like he was something Capcom decided to put late into development.

>> No.1774203
File: 109 KB, 838x768, breath of fire lets join souls.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1773093
holy shit i was going to call you names for copying verbatim a post i made some time ago but found out it has already been copied a few times on /v/ and /vg/. i'm honestly a little scared. original post: >>/vr/thread/1222149#p1235426

>inb4 i'm called a fagot for hating momo.

>>1773097
not the guy you replied to but i originally made that post and i'll concede that i was wrong about that music. it is not shit. i still don't enjoy it though.

>>1757978
but anon, the only breath of fire to have 8 party members is bof 1. assuming you were serious up until before the monster hunter reference, the intro of bof 3 shows the first game's cast fighting myria: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIwEqpuc5mw

>> No.1774276
File: 92 KB, 590x400, tumblr_luat7x1Iei1qginzlo6_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1773098

yeah I don't get people's boner for the Gene system

there was some cool shit but if you weren't spamming Kaiser you where just using whatever elemental weakness the enemy had

people act like you where creating and designing your own dragons

>> No.1774669

>>1774276
>I don't get peoples boner
Any kind of customization, or choices are _____fun_____________

I agree with you on most points, and >>1773098
if you're not using your strongest one at the time, which is basically.
>Whelp
>Elemental Dragon
>Elemental Dragon + Thorn
>Warrior + Element
>Kaiser

You're doing it wrong, but it was fun to fuck around with it as a kid. Breath attacks are useless (even on Peco, who is an HP monster) and the game is generally easy, its just grindy, and not being able to buy AP restoring items is a pain in the ass, because it would severely reduce the grinding by letting you basically wreck everything in Ryu's dragon form.

>> No.1774889

>>1773046
so this shit is going real fast. What are you actually doing?

>> No.1776332 [DELETED] 

>>1774889
Having a hissy fit.

>> No.1776345 [DELETED] 

>>1776332
I love your videos, you sick bastard shitposter.

>> No.1776354 [DELETED] 

>>1776332
Why? No one has mentioned Nina.

>> No.1776382

>>1774669
Yeah, it's kinda like the materia/junction (final fantas) system: Customization options are there and the potential is great, but it's ruined by the fact that there is no point to not just focus on maxing out health and strength.

>> No.1776385

>>1773471
The only underrated BoF is Dragon Quarter.

>> No.1777125

>>1776385
Yeah, but even that seems to be changing as more people have had the chance to play it now.

I remember when even the mention of it would bring down a shitstorm, and now it's more or less on the same level as FF8 with it's niche of fans that get it.

>> No.1777149

>>1777125
It's a little short but I remember really enjoying how tense it was ekeing out every possible advantage. Fight every battle you can find, finish it as quickly as possible, memorize the enemies attack range so you can get the drop on them. Learn what makes an effective barrier, Find the best way to utilize Nina's traps, I love it.

That's not to say it didnt suffer in it's own way. I would have been nice for a bit more variance. I also felt like the D-Counter system was unnecessary. I barely used that shit, only for the mandatory battle near the start and of course against Shitty dragon-kid Bosch. Was super pissed off when i was at 14% full and had to watch for a solid minute and a half as all that power I could have used was being squandered in a zerg beam at the very end to kill him

>> No.1777184

>>1777149
I think the short time it takes on replay is part of the charm too though, to be honest. Because while I agree with everything you posted and really enjoy that play-style, those elements are all made mostly irrelevant if you are carrying over gear and XP from a previous game. But it is weirdly satisfying to drop dynamite and some meat to clear away annoying little critters like bats and whatnot.

The conservation system forced on the player by the D-Counter has also affected how I play the retro BoF games, as well. The last time I played through 3, for instance, I would all of a sudden realize I have like 5 new genes sitting there, and I have yet to use any of them, even if just to play around and check out the dragon form combos currently available or whatever. It was kind of funny to find myself all the way at the end without really ever using any dragons during a single boss battle, and I was sort of surprised at how easy it was, too.

>> No.1777246

>>1777184
Truth be told. I was always unclear how many resets you had to partake in to unlock the full range of conversations though. It seems that the creators thought it extremely unlikely that anyone would finish it on the first try, which is silly as it's entirely possible.
A good place to restart from, I thought, was after the fight with Captain Violet Zeno, your cunt of a superior she has a sweet ass sword drop and is a pot of zenny at the end of the rainbow.

I can understand that about 3 actually, because AP was a commodity that was obviously not as easily replenished as HP, in a dungeon, you want to conserve and rightfully so. Plus most balltes can be won in 2 turns. Dungeons with a bed in them though like Repsol's factory underneath the Chrysm Crop plantation are a spiffy place to fuck around with the genes, see of you can come up with something interesting. If you had an easy time of 3 on your first playthrough then bravo...as a 14 year old this was a Mecca Maths formula.

>> No.1778519
File: 150 KB, 700x800, 61fc01ddb39aa2add24713cb7939bf82.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1777149
>It's a little short but I remember really enjoying how tense it was ekeing out every possible advantage

Short by design. I honestly prefer a game that while short is well paced and unique rather than a game that brags 60 hours but is nothing but cutscenes or faffing around

>> No.1778563

>>1757261
>the series in general?
Generic, derivative, insipid. The games are barely above average.