[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 60 KB, 960x640, 2391771-retron+5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1745424 No.1745424[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So who else has picked one of these up? What do you think? Personally I like it but there's a few downsides.

Pros:
-Surprisingly faithful emulation for a clone console
-The SD card save backups and save state capability are neat.
-The controller cross-compatibility
-The HDMI doesn't look nearly as muddy as an old RCA hooked up to a flatscreen.

Cons-
-No Famicom Disk System, Game Boy accessories, or Genesis add-on support.
-Only has HDMI out so you can't hook it to an old CRT TV for a nostalgic feel or to use light guns.
-The included controller is awkward to hold and the buttons are too 'clicky'

>> No.1745435

I saw one go on ebay today for £200+

Doesn't seem worth it since it's so expensive, and if you're emulating, just use a PC with any controller you want.

...or am I missing the point?

>> No.1745460

>>1745435
MSRP is $140, that seems to be a bit more reasonable. The ability to play original carts with an original controller on a TV, as well as imports, without having to have 5 to 6 different consoles all taking up space and my entire RCA switch.

>> No.1745462

>>1745424
why not use your phone connected to your tv via hdmi, an emulator and a blue tooth controller?

>> No.1745481

>>1745424
>buying an emulator
okay dudes just have fun in this thread

>> No.1745484

>>1745462
because then i have to buy a controller

>> No.1745490

>>1745460
>with an original controller on a TV, as well as imports, without having to have 5 to 6 different consoles all taking up space and my entire RCA switch
But this can be accomplished with your PC + an HDMI cable + USB adapters. And as far as "playing the original cart", that's an extremely loose term, since the whole point of playing with the original cart is to enjoy the experience of playing on the original hardware, which these devices do not accomplish. Without the actual hardware, the original carts are nothing more than bulky storage mediums for the ROM.

I could maybe understand the appeal of these if they went for <$30, since that way they would be cheaper than buying an HDMI cable + several USB adapters. But I can't fathom why anyone would shell out triple figures for one of these

>> No.1745553

>>1745424
That shit tier compatibility

>> No.1745560

>>1745424

>buying anything made by Hyperkin
>essentially paying money for an emulator

nope nope nopenopenopenopenope

>> No.1745572

>>1745424
>wasting money in this emulator
Go buy a wii to play in Crt or just use the PC.

>> No.1745576
File: 149 KB, 1280x720, pain.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1745435
>>1745460
>In hueland this cost 400 Dollars

>> No.1745587

>>1745484

>spending 30 bucks on a controller
>would rather spend 140 bucks on a shitbox of subpar hardware

>> No.1745603

can we just make retron threads against the rules?
its obvious some cunt comes here every week making the same thread

>> No.1745608

My impressions for GBA and Genesis:

Is it me or does GBA emulation seem glitchy in the sound department? Trying out several GBA games all had the problems of music skipping and low-quality sample playback.

The Genesis port is pretty bad, at least on the one I tried out. I was afraid to insert the cart. Really rough fit. Didn't recognize SoR2. Could be just the model i tried out.

I hope NES, SNES, and SFC games are better suited for the machine.

>> No.1745615

I think it's pointless. What they should do is make a clone console that only tries to clone one console and use the hardware to make it as accurate as possible instead of just cramming a bunch of mediocre accurate clones into one. These things should be working as a cheaper alternative to buying a console instead of paying $100+ for a bunch of poorly made clones built in one console.

>> No.1745616

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y13r4LCbARw

Seems like it's a pointless middle-ground. You would be much better off just emulating.

>> No.1745620

>>1745576

Monkeys can play video games?

>> No.1745640

>>1745620
Pls retard.

>> No.1745653

I love it! Hyperskin® really gives you the best deal for your money. Retron 5™ offers you not 5, but 6 systems for only $249.00. Buy your Retron 5™ today and get a HDMI cable and controller for FREE!

>> No.1745771

>>1745424
I don't know why anyone would waste their money.

>> No.1745774

>>1745616

yeah I saw their video on it and wasn't impressed. Im not really found of those knock off systems anywyas

>> No.1745776

>>1745576
what anime is that?

Although I own my SNES carts, still, I wouldn't pay for a Retron. My modded Wii with Classic Controller works just as good, if not better.

>> No.1745947

>Only has HDMI out so you can't hook it to an old CRT TV
Do you not know what a converter is? They're not really that expensive. Hell, if you really wanted to you could go from HDMI to RCA to Coaxial.

>> No.1745953 [DELETED] 

>>1745424
>>>/out/and+never+return+retron+shill

>> No.1745969
File: 164 KB, 509x864, 1334658422469.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1745776
Milky Holmes

>> No.1746001

I think the retron is nice because you can use the cartridges and it has the save states and hdmi. The image on hdtvs look pretty good from what I've seen too. PC emulators are nice but I don't keep a pc near my couch. I might pick one up.

Side question. Am I the only who would pay for a snes or other console with new hardware? I mean actual newly made hardware that was a copy of the original. Not scavenged hardware thrown in a new case. Maybe add an upscaler.

Fact is these consoles aren't going to last forever. Any other options I might have for new hardware (not emulators) to play snes cartridges?

>> No.1746085
File: 231 KB, 1100x1100, Super-Retro-Trio-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So, is objection against the Retron on principal only or that it can't even emulate WELL?

Because doing some research, it looks like the Super Retro Trio has A LOT better compatibility, has has full multi region controls, has all the same system available to it and more with just some extra accessories, is like a third of the price, doesn't come with shit controllers, doesn't have any noticeable loss on sound quality compared to teh actual consoles, and doesn't look like a robot abortion.

Like, for what it does, it looks like the the Super Retro Trio actually does it WELL.

>> No.1746127

>>1746001
Clone systems that aren't the Retron 5 generally don't use emulation. I own a Retron 3 and personally I've been satisfied with it. I'm surprised the pins haven't all bent and broken though, the grip is very tight and they're a bit troublesome to get in but even harder to get out. You can wriggle the cartridge back and forth as you pull up, but I'm always concerned it will bend the connector pins. Apparently this is a major issue with the Retron 5 as well.

>> No.1746135

>>1746085
>has all the same system available to it
To the Retron 3, yes, but not the Retron 5.
>is like a third of the price
Of the Retron 5, sure, but compared to the Retron 3 it's about $20 more.

>> No.1746138

>>1746085
Paying for emulator machines is a dumb idea anyway.
A small computer you could pick up for less than the cost of either of these things would do a much better job with emulation, and you'd be able to use better controllers Retron is utter trash.

Hell, pick up a netbook. Any of them made after 2010 could handle these consoles just fine, and most have VGA out for your CRT needs.

>> No.1746142

>>1746138
>you'd be able to use better controllers
You'd be able to use more controllers, not necessarily better controllers. The good clone consoles come with original controller ports.

>> No.1746143

>>1745481
>emulating a buyer
Okay, thread, just have fun with these dudes.

>> No.1746147

>>1745620
Yeah, that's why the Japanese brought them over to Burgerland.

>> No.1746150

>>1746127
Are you playing on a sd crt or something like a led hdtv?
I have no interest in getting another crt ever. Been looking at upscalers and came across the retron 5. I know it's just an emulator but it looks very convenient.

>> No.1746151

>>1746138
>most have VGA out for your CRT needs

this is more complicated than it sounds unless you have a CRT with VGA in, which is uncommon. You'll need to not only get an adapter cable, but also convert the signal into something the TV can take (and doing so in good quality is a whole different issue).
I suppose you could use soft15khz if the video card supports it, but if not you're fucked and you'll have to pay for a scan converter anyway. I would argue it could end up more expensive in the end, that being the case.

>> No.1746152

>>1746142
And?
Adapters exist. I have several.
On top of that, you have more controller options.

There's literally no reason to buy one of these things.

>> No.1746154

>>1746151
Or you could use a CRT monitor.

Hell, shaders on an LCD would be better than dealing with one of these overpriced emulators.

>> No.1746156

>>1746150
I don't know what you're talking about. Every CRT I've owned has either been handed down to me or purchased at a thrift store or garage sale. The current one I own is some Memorex I got for three or four dollars at a garage sale.

>> No.1746157

>>1746152
I know that, that's why I said you would have more options. But if you're even slightly purist about this, you'll probably be using the original controllers, that doesn't necessarily mean it's better just because on a PC you could use a wide variety of controllers.

>> No.1746162

Could the Retron 5 be used as a ROM dumper?
From what I understand, that's what it does anyways. Has anyone made software to get the roms out of the system?

>> No.1746163

>>1746154
CRT PC monitors look nothing like CRT television sets.

>> No.1746169

>>1746156
I know they're cheap to get. Most people just want them gone. Personally, I don't want to deal with a 100+lb tv ever again. That's why I'm looking at options to play on new TVs.

>> No.1746173

>>1746162
>Could the Retron 5 be used as a ROM dumper?
>From what I understand, that's what it does anyways. Has anyone made software to get the roms out of the system?

What's the point? Folks beat you to the punch years ago on this

>> No.1746178

>>1746157
If you're even slightly purist, you'll have every one of the applicable consoles anyway. They're not exactly rare.

>> No.1746180

>>1746169
Ah. The thing is a huge pain in the ass to move, and has these awkward handles on the top of it. It never goes anywhere though, and I don't really need an HDTV for anything, considering the only thing I use televisions for anymore is playing old games.

>> No.1746185

>>1746178
Then why were we even talking about clone consoles in the first place?

>> No.1746197

>>1746169
Anon, I recommend getting a smaller set. My Toshiba consumer set isn't very heavy at 13 inches. They're so inexpensive and the games look so much better on them that it's honestly worth having a small one, even if you don't use it all the time.
I understand how you feel about it though, it's just hard to get the best of both worlds. One of these with HDMI out might be your best bet for a hardware-based way to play.

>> No.1746198

>>1746185
Because not everyone here is purist.
Clone consoles are one of several options of playing retro games. It also happens to be one of the worst.

>> No.1746219

>>1746197
That's an option. Back when I did play the snes it was on like a 17" curved crt. I wasn't a very wealthy kid. I actually don't get the point of going for these massive flat screen crts in the name of authenticity. Not many people had those back in the day.
Basically my position I'm in is recollecting a bunch of snes games and trying to figure out the best way to play them. Should had never of got rid of them.

>> No.1746220

>>1746198
>It also happens to be one of the worst.

Eh, I dunno. There is a certain level of convenience and form factor in these. No dumping or downloading or setting things up -- just plug and play.
I would say it all really boils down to compatibility, and that varies wildly between models.
As an entry point for someone new to this hobby, or for looking for a hub to just plug their games into their HDTV and play easily, it works. Not entirely authentic and at times problematic, sure, but shit, some of these people aren't in it for perfect picture or anything. They just wanna play games.

>> No.1746243

>>1746219
I like curved CRTs myself, and they work better for this sort of thing anyway (light guns, what have you).
I see. Well, I guess it boils down to whether you want them to look how you remember them, as good as possible, or just be able to play them without hassle. If you want the latter, one of these multi-consoles might be a good fit for you. If you want them to look how you remember you'll need a CRT and whatever type of input you used, and probably an original console. And if you want the best possible quality you're looking at an emulator with filters or an RGB monitor, or a pricey upscaler. An emulator might be your cheapest option too if you're willing to move the computer or play on your PC monitor, but I assume you're not interested in that since this is about playing your personal collection.

It really doesn't matter what /vr/ thinks, so pick whatever you're interested in.

>> No.1746250

>>1746220
Even "effort factor" doesn't help Retron's case. It takes more effort to drive to a store to buy the thing than to download an emulator. Even if you buy it online, ebay/Amazon will both take more clicks to complete the purchase than it would take to download the emulators you're looking for.

>> No.1746259

>>1746250
>more clicks
Doubtful, and that's a stupid measure of 'effort' anyway. You're not taking the games into account.

>> No.1746263

>>1746243
>be able to play them without hassle
Ya I'm interested in actually playing the games and having a small collection. Maybe it'd be better just having a collection and playing PC emulators. I never really liked the light guns so not having a crt isn't a huge deal to me.

>> No.1746264

>>1746220
>As an entry point for someone new to this hobby

Not really, since you're required to have the cartridges. With the way prices are now, if you start from nothing, even acquiring a small libarary for these systems would cost you more than the console itself. Even if you want to play just a few games, why would you drop 140 dollars for it, plus the cost of those games, when you could just emulate them for free?

>> No.1746271

>>1746264
Some people just want physical carts. It's part of collecting.

>> No.1746284

For people who need their retro-hipster creed.

>> No.1746292

full retard: the thread

>paying money for nothing edition

you faux originale' hardware emulator fags are funny

>paying extra money for an emulating peripheral

b...but it can have all the games shoved in at once anon! don't you see the awesomeness?!?!?!!?

>> No.1746296

>>1746271
Sure, but why would you buy this over the actual consoles? If you just want to play a handful of games, you're wasting money buying this and the cartridges. Which I guess is your choice, but it seems wasteful to spend that much money to emulate games that you also have to pay for. On the other hand. if you want to have a large collection, and you have the money to get one, it seems to me you may as well just go all out and own the actual console itself.

I know that if I had to start from scratch tomorrow, I'd not even bother buying carts. It's not worth the cost, and I sure as shit wouldn't spend $140 for the privilege of emulating them if I did.

>> No.1746298

>>1746264
>Even if you want to play just a few games, why would you drop 140 dollars for it, plus the cost of those games
hence emualting, niggers been doing it since the mid to late 90's for free

>> No.1746301

What about a Wii? Virtual console games are cheap and output at 240p, yeah?
I don't own one so I don't know how shitty of an idea that might be. Thoughts?

>> No.1746302

>>1746301
>I don't own one so I don't know how shitty of an idea that might be. Thoughts?
certainly it's a less shitty idea than buying an emulation machine and on top of that having to still buy the fucking carts (which for nes and snes is overpriced anyway so saving money is a moot point)

>> No.1746303

>>1746296
Sure, but why would you buy this over the actual consoles?

If it was cheaper than getting all three.
Which it may or may not be. I think you could get them all for the same price if you were lucky.

>> No.1746306

>>1746301
A Wii is a pretty decent solution if you need to play something on a TV. You can softmod the thing easily and put emulators on it. Plus they're pretty easy to find for cheap.

>> No.1746307

>>1746303
Didn't greentext, my bad.

>> No.1746315

>>1746303
It has an hdmi output.
If it was a hardware console and not an emulator, I think there would be a lot less bitching.

>> No.1746320

>>1746303
Did you just read the first sentence and ignore the rest of my post? You also need to buy games for the thing. Sure, buying this might end up being cheaper than buying all 3 consoles. But you need to add on top of that the money you have to spend on games to play on the damn thing. Carts are the most expensive part about the retro gaming hobby, and if you're going to emulate the damn game anyways, why would you spend a ton of money for, essentially, an expensive ROM container?

If you want to have a box that plays retro games on an HDTV, buy a damn Wii for half the cost of this and softmod it.

>> No.1746321

>>1746315
>It has an hdmi output.
Also true.
And yeah, to be honest this board is never going to take kindly to these things, most people here are enthusiasts.
For the average Joe who just wants to play his old video games on a new set, it doesn't matter so much.

>> No.1746324

>>1746320
What if you have the cartridges already or just want to use physical cartridges?

>> No.1746326

>>1746324
>or just want to use physical cartridges?
so you've made a stand: "i'm not emulating man, i'm going to buy carts that are 100% original!.......and then put them in my emulator"

>> No.1746331

>>1746326

Lots of people somehow think it isn't emulation if you pay for it. It''s like emulation became a false synonym for piracy over the years.

If you are really against emulation, buy a real console plus flashcart.

>> No.1746335

I could buy each of those consoles for less than the cost of the clones.
If I need the cartridges anyway, why wouldn't I just buy the console? And if I already have the cartridges, why wouldn't I already have the console?

Who's buying these things?

>> No.1746336

>>1746331
>>1746326
Some people just want to play the damn games. Sure you can go and play on the original consoles with old crts and that's fine. Personally I think wanting to play on new tvs should be fine too. Something like the retron 5 with a hdmi port and the emulation software makes that much easier than modding consoles, getting an upscaler, and all the wires that go with that.

>> No.1746337

>>1746324
Use the actual console to play them. Why would you have a pile of cartridges and no console to play them on? And yes, it looks like ass on an HDTV. Get a CRT and use that, or spend your money on an upscaler. Or, like I said, buy a Wii.

This is the thing with the Retron, is you have to get into all these different scenarios that it just becomes a completely niche thing. I want to play retro games on my HDTV, but I also want to use physical cartridges despite the fact that I'm emulating the games and this offers me no benefit. You're spending a bunch of money to emulate games. You're making a totally unnecessary compromise for a problem that has better solutions.

>> No.1746338

>>1746335
Retards and hipsters.

>> No.1746341

>>1746336
All I've gleaned from this post is that you're willing to spend hundreds of dollars to play games on a modern television because you're too lazy to use a better, and cheaper, alternative.

>> No.1746351

>>1746341
I like modularity. I don't go scouring for early 90s PC parts to play old PC games. I just play the game and enjoy it. So fuck me for wanting to play a game.

>> No.1746365

>>1746169
Do you even lift ?

>> No.1746367

I'd buy one if it was 20 bucks.

>> No.1746448

ITT: retarded hipsters

>> No.1746698

The Retron 5 seems to have a much smoother frame rate than computer-based emulators though. I like it.

I hope the Retron 6 has an optical drive, I want a 3DODreamPlaySaturn CD

>> No.1746705

All-Gen Gamers said that the cartridge ports a little too tight. Don't want to risk it.

>> No.1746725

>>1746173
For the novelty of having roms you dumped yourself, I'd assume.

>> No.1746760

>>1745653

hue hue hue!

seriously though i had been keeping up with this thing and wanted to get one but after seeing all the reviews i am very disappointed and will not be buying one.

>> No.1746937

>>1746284

They should buy a Retron and an Everdrive for every supported console for ultra- Hipster- bonus points

>> No.1746957

Why is it hard to just straight-up reproduce the original hardware and sell it? I just want a working SNES that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg.

>> No.1746984

>>1745435
>...or am I missing the point?
The point is to be able to play your old carts even when you don't have the room the have all the original systems anymore, sure having the cart there is just for show since you're just emulating but you feel better now that they aren't just there sitting on a shelf.

I know it makes no sense but it's kind of a pathologic obsession.

>> No.1747002
File: 72 KB, 353x439, stop.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1745424
No one is going to buy your piece of shit emulator.

>> No.1747010

I'm starting with a reproduction console until I can afford to get a real one.

>> No.1747020

>>1747010
Do people still make actual repro consoles?

>> No.1747059

>>1747020
yes.

>> No.1747063

>>1746984
The point is that the buyers don't realize how shitty this thing is.

>> No.1747068

>Hook my £100 phone up to my TV
>Wirelessly connect my PS4 controller
>Play all the roms I want
I don't get the point of having a console like this when it's not got any of the original hardware.

>> No.1747073

So, some people really buy a glorified emulator wrapped in cheap plastic, huh. Too bad it wasn't my idea.

>> No.1747075

>>1746937
Flashcards don't work on it.

>> No.1747112

>>1747075
afaik any kind of piggy-backing cart or multi-game in one carts don't work on it.

The whole benefit of an emulator is that you can take advantage of emulator benefits like:

>Savestates
>Romhacks (although I personally hate them)
>Fucking around with filters
>Using speed up/slow down
>Playing Eng-translated patch JP only games
>Playing games you don't own
>netplay, although I've never really used it

So some of those are alleviated with use of a Flashcart, like the translated and games you don't own, while still playing on original hardware, which makes it more of a "purist" thing.

But like people have said. Why play a watered down emulator machine which is more limited then actually just playing on an emulator with a USB controller?

Does the retron 5 even have a fucking USB port? The entire system is designed with so many fucking basic bottom of the barrel problems.

>> No.1747116

>>1747112
I believe it has a mini-USB port on the back, not 100% sure.

>> No.1747214

>>1747112
They just added support for the knuckles cart thing, so that's one thing that works.. kinda..

>> No.1747393

>>1747002
this

I mean, if you do any googling for "Retron 5 review" you'll find that every single person who bought it hates it.
A pointless middle-ground.

DO NOT PAY FOR EMULATORS

>> No.1747436

>>1747393
>you'll find that every single person who bought it hates it.
Seems the only issues is some comparability problems and some systems have tight pins.
The reviews I see people are happy with the image quality and sound.

>> No.1747448

>>1746698
>The Retron 5 seems to have a much smoother frame rate than computer-based emulators though

Turn your v-sync on.

>> No.1747460

STOP ADVERTIZING YOUR SHITTY ASS PRODUCT ON 4CHAN, NOBODY IS THAT STUPID TO BUY THIS SHIT

>> No.1747462

>>1745424
I'd buy that thing in a heartbeat if it had rom support

>> No.1747464

>>1747460
Ya they're not selling. Not like the next batch is sold out or anything like that.

>> No.1747665
File: 18 KB, 1137x227, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

doesnt appear to be rated very well at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-RetroN-Gaming-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B00DZIX3CQ

>> No.1747705

>>1747665
>Cartridge does not come out of slot

One reason why it's retarded to use your original carts on some questionable clone console.

>> No.1747809

say i had a brief aneurysm and i'm stuck with a retrobit duo.

should I try to sell this thing to a gamestop or something, get store credit, and wait for them to happen upon either a NES or SNES? i'm out $30 and after looking through this thread i don't really want anything but the 100% original hardware

>> No.1748065

>>1747448
Screen tearing and frame rate are different things, bra

>> No.1748097

>>1747809
>I'm out 30 dollars
Your life is over. Cut your loses and move on. You can try and sell it but every used game store I have sells these things new in the box, presumably because theres a fairly large profit margin on them.

>> No.1748106

>>1748065
How shitty of a toaster is your PC if you can't run an retro console emulator with constant 60fps?

>> No.1748107

>>1748065
then you have a shitty PC if it cannot run GBA emulation at full speed

>> No.1748537

>>1745603
This. THIS THIS THIS THIS. Every single time one of these threads pops up, the response is always the same.
>Pay for a free emulator?
>Shit compatiblity, more expensive than the actual consoles
>Just mod a Wii, better compatibility and more options

They keep trying different wording and types of ways to have a "Retron Thread". "Anyone planning on getting one of these?" "Just got my Retron, so hyped!" "I'm in a cramped college dorm, so I'm getting one of these bad boys. Any game recs?" It's always the EXACT same response from /vr/ as a whole, regardless of how it's brought up.

Marketing is against the rules of 4chan, so these threads would get deleted if the mods weren't busy elsewhere. But we are a slow and usually quiet board, and nearly every other board is chaos, so they don't seem to stop by here often.

>> No.1748542

>>1748537
Also notice how these people don't understand jackshit about technology: >>1748065
Remember that quote about roms carrying viruses or some stupid shit, it was posted in one of these threads.

>> No.1748550
File: 32 KB, 1124x104, retron.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1748542

>> No.1748557

>>1745616
Fucking manchildren.

>> No.1748591

>>1746698
>The Retron 5 seems to have a much smoother frame rate than computer-based emulators though.
I have 30FPS or better on every console/machine I emulate from NES and PC98 to Dreamcast and Gamecube. My computer wasn't even top of the line when I built it two years ago. It was a budget system.

Still no point in marketing this as an alternative for people with crappy PC's, since they could buy a much better emulation PC for the price of this crap.

>> No.1748597

>>1748542
Yeah, I had noticed that. "Uh...it gives smoother framerate than emulators on PC!" Is there anyone dumb enough to believe this?

>> No.1748608

>>1748597

I still think he just means screen tearing.

>> No.1748610

>>1746306
And getting the classic controller (both models) really help. I just wish N64 emulation on the thing wasn't so shit, but SEGA CD and PC Engine CD and god-tier.

>> No.1748650

>>1746335
>Who's buying these things?

I am starting to think Retron gets all their money from retro game and tech reviewers who buy their stuff to release a video on it. Cause I sure as fuck don't see who else is buying it. Even those fabled hipsters can't be that fucking stupid to get one of these.

>> No.1748673

>>1748650
>Even those fabled hipsters can't be that fucking stupid to get one of these.

It wasn't a 5, but I was actually at a game store once and I saw a kid buying a Retron 3. Or rather, he was making his dad buy him one, along with a bunch of games. I say "kid" but he was more like 16. Turns out they didn't actually have any more Retron 3s, and the guy behind the counter straight up told him it sucks anyways. He ended up buying some other clone console.

>> No.1748678

>>1748550
I remember that thread. I replied to that post with an even more pretending-to-be-retarded one.

>> No.1748702
File: 9 KB, 1330x470, D8lvLmC.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>100% compatibility my ass
>shit emulation
>4:3 aspect ratio "scaling" sucks, distorts pixels like ass, pic related
>erases saves from carts
>shit controller
>720p only
>terrible build quality

I can't wait until they hack it and reveal which open source emulators they stole the code from and tampered with.

>> No.1748719
File: 40 KB, 450x295, stock-photo-young-emotional-boy-being-punished-by-parents-90342835.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1748673
>he was making his dad buy him one
>making
The dad submitted.

>> No.1748739

>>1746135
Not, there's an adapter for the GBA. One of the mentioned "consoles" on the 5 that counts for the five is a famicom. The Retro Trio already has that with region switch. If you want to get technical with regions by the Retron 5's standard of what a console is, the Trio has 9 by itself, 12 with the GBA adaptor, and 16 with a Super Gameboy.

>> No.1748742

>>1748537
http://www.amazon.com/NES-SNES-Wii-Adapter-Nintendo/dp/B00B2K0C8M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1404783310&sr=8-3 do they make something like this for genesis controllers? that would be heavenly

>> No.1748747

>>1748742
I have one that works with SNES, Genesis and N64 controllers. N64 support sucks though but SNES and Genesis are fine.

>> No.1748751

>>1748747
Link?

>> No.1748752

Not this shit again.

>> No.1748753
File: 62 KB, 1098x329, 2n207f7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1748742
>>1748747
It's this one. I don't know what is it called though. Look for snes n64 wii adapter or something.

>> No.1748758

>>1748747
Never mind, found it.
Surprised it wasn't on the first page.
It doesn't appear to be in stock on Amazon currently though, guess I'll look elsewhere.

>> No.1748765

>>1748758
When I bought it I remember it was already kind of rare because obviously it isn't manufactured anymore so I rushed to get it. Looking at it now it even supports NES controllers.

>> No.1748774

>buying a console to play roms

haha yeah lemme get right on that

>> No.1748775

>>1748765
Well that's a damn shame, looks like I'll have to keep an eye out.

>> No.1748786

>>1747665
Kek. Now watch those ratings dramatically 'improve' when this shill thread creator relays this back to the marketing department.

>> No.1748794

>>1748753
I personally own this one. Haven't tested Genesis but SNES has noticeable lag and N64 is absolutely unusable.

>> No.1748798

>>1748794
I didn't notice any lag on mine, but with these things you never know. Some units might be good, some might not. Yeah, N64 is garbage.

>> No.1748821

>>1748719
Or the kid knew some dirty secret and blackmailed him.

>> No.1749129

>>1748786
Or when you take out all the reviews by people who didn't buy the thing from Amazon, but they own it.

>> No.1749268

My brother found a 'cheap' one ($100+ than what it seems to go for?), but he's not really a retro junkie like his younger sibling, lol.

I haven't asked him yet, but can anyone tell me how NES and SNES (the only consoles he cares about; I'm a sega/sony guy) work on the thing? In terms of how well the carts fit, emulation, etc. GBA seemed a bit spotty, and the genny port was not good at all. It might be nice to import some SFC games to play though.

>> No.1749290

>>1749268
Just get a AV Famicom and a US SNES.

You can play Super Famicom games on a US SNES by just cutting off the little plastic tabs on the SNES.

>> No.1749831

>>1745424
>Emulation
>HDMI
>Who knows what other processing is being done on gamepad input

Holy shit. Enjoying your input lag?