[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 378 KB, 752x1063, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1742173 No.1742173 [Reply] [Original]

Let us convene and discuss the proverbial "retro bubble", /vr/others. We see it referenced all the time in offhand comments in many threads, but I've never seen us sit down and actually discuss what we think caused it's rise and when/what will cause it to burst. How has it affected you individually? How do you cope with the rising prices? Do you think prices will actually ever go back down?

>> No.1742184

maybe

>> No.1742187

>>1742173
AVGN. Being a nerd stops being cool. It kills my wallet. Hunt instead of stores/ebay. Eventually on some items, some like Earthbound are stuck in overpriced hell

>> No.1742189

>>1742173

Guys like me who are fairly successful and hobbies have been games since childhood. and are just now having the space and the income to get all these games that we saw when we were kids in shit like EGM, Nintendo Power, and PSM.

Its also addicting. Its addicting to buy things. Its addicting to win an eBay bid. Its addicting to get the big score from a thrift store, garage sale or flea market.

Its great. Its not like the baseball cards or that kinda shit from our fathers years. You can actually fucking sit down and play these games. It probably helps that they aren't fuck huge, like Laserdiscs or something.

>How its affected me individually
I have a boner for Strategy RPG and its annoying to see shit like Brigandine posted for 100+ dollars, Tactics Ogre for 40+, Vanguard Bandits for 40+ (in shit shape no less). I also have a soft spot for Squaresoft and guess what games are expensive? Shit like Legend of Mana I still can't justify paying that much for.

>How do you cope with rising prices

Pseudo-switching gears. PS2 is dirt cheap (With some exceptions, namely Rule of Rose, Haunting Ground, Drakengard 2), GC, Xbox also fairly cheap, PS3, 360 and Wii are plummetting like hot cakes and there are a lot of good games on those systems so nows the time to strike on those deals. Hell, I picked up a like-new copy of Lumines Plus on PS2 for 3.99 CAD and Witch and the Hundred Knight on PS3 sealed for 40 CAD, on fucking eBay. Thats the kinda deals you're in for now for PS2/PS3 era stuff.

I still buy PS1 (I have everdrives for all my cart consoles) if its a reasonable deal, or I can find a few reasonable deals and get combined shipping I'll jump on it.

>Do you think prices will actually ever go back down
Depends. One day, maybe there will be a crash. But I kind of have my doubts. Its not like baseball cards where all they do is sit and look pretty, you can play these. You can invite your buddies over and play just like you were kids. You can play with your kids.

>> No.1742196

It makes me wish I had spent my money more recklessly in the past, although maybe that's not something someone should ever wish for.

I used to only buy one game at a time, and wouldn't let myself buy another game until I had completely exhausted the previous one. Now, prices are so fucking high, I can't really expand my collection much more. It's a shame - I didn't load up when I could've and now I can't.

>> No.1742203

>>1742173
>Do you think prices will actually ever go back down?
I've never seen inflated prices decrease. Once sellers realize they can make a certain price on something, they'll never go back. But it may not increase anymore. I think that's the best we can hope for.

>> No.1742225

>>1742203
>But it may not increase anymore. I think that's the best we can hope for.
>prices are literally increasing daily
>prices only going up
sure anon, sure....

>> No.1742226

Seemingly the first game with a bloated price was earthbound. Even like ten years ago it was common to see one go for over 100. Youtube personalities looking to differentiate themselves by playing retro then brought in even more people to various games. Even the lowliest of youtubers such as Happy Nerd influence the price of games they talk about.

I think its really just awareness increased, funds to purchase increased, and supply kind of increased as more people are willing to part with their childhoods for loadsamoney.

>> No.1742228

Flash carts and mod chips, friends. Don't support hoarding resellers.

I still buy games from classic game shops and such, support local businesses and all that, but fuh-huck paying hipster money for "rare" games.

>> No.1742236

>>1742196
unless they're super rare or earthbound/chronotrigger-tier, then i don't see what you're saying, because most used vidya is still cheaper than new games today.

unless you're all poor now. in which case im sorry u cant buy gaems bro.

>> No.1742238

>>1742173
Whatever caused video games to become popular. I'm sure it's not one solitary pinpointable source. Once something gets popular enough, the hipsters appear. The gullible, rich hipsters who are willing to shell out double digit figures on Sooper Mayrio Wurld fur dah "sness"

Combined with people who are recovering from the classic horror story of "parents sold all your games by the time you get home from college" and desperate for nostalgia.

I'm a pretty pessimistic person so I'm convinced that the realistic scenario is that the prices of NES-PSX era games will never go down, and will in fact continue to rise as more and more resellers hoard them. But I have a naive hope that maybe one day NES games will simply be seen as too archaic, even for the hippest of hipsters, and eventually be garbage everyone is selling in loads for $1 apiece, similar to A2600 games. Then the process would eventually hit SNES/MD games, etc. Or alternatively the prices will rise so high that no one will be willing to shell out $300 for Sooper Meatroid and even the scummiest of resellers will be forced to start selling for fair prices. I highly doubt both of these scenarios, though.

>> No.1742249

>>1742196
I know your pain bro, all too often when I see an overpriced game I have flashbacks to when I had seen the game in stores for significantly less.

>> No.1742253

>>1742173
For those who have been collecting as long as I have remember the Atari bubble about 15 years ago.

>peoples disinterest in the current game market
>the old reminisce about the "good ol' days"
>the young fawn at the unknown
>everyone caught "le retro fever"
>people started collecting games from thrift stores/garage sales/etc
>rare and forgotten games start getting recognition
>interest surge in everything Atari
>rare games get purchased for over $1000
>ALL YOUR GAMES ARE GOLD
>jewish frenzy ensues and hording runs rampant
>common cart only games command $25+
>eventually saturated and disinterested
>on to the next one on to the next one

Now atari shit is all dollar bin with the exception of a few rare,basically hardly production games.

4th,5th,& 6th generation games will have the same fate as Atari did. Don't believe the hype. Other than Nintendo World Championshit or the likes of which nothing you have is truly rare. Nothing you want is truly rare. There made fucking millions of these games.

>> No.1742257

>>1742203
>neckbeard economics

>> No.1742258

>>1742253
That's good to hear. I can only hope gaming actually being so mainstream nowadays doesn't keep the prices from settling down.

I think ebay might still have some higher prices, but actual retro video game shops are going to get fucked with these prices after a while. Some of this shit is just crazy.

But, I can say with some confidence the Mario games probably won't go down. They'll keep it at the jew prices they have now, and they'll get away with it because
>muh Mario tax

>> No.1742260

>>1742253
how long ago was that?

>> No.1742278

>>1742257
The only counter-argument I've ever seen is strained, desperation-tinged hope.

People aren't just reselling the product, they're reselling the lifestyle. Retro games get compared to things like comic books or baseball cards, and while it's true that newer games likely won't reach the prices we see of older ones now, the comic books and baseball cards whose high value inspired the buying and printing trends that made subsequent generations overproduced are STILL valuable.

>> No.1742294

>>1742226
>loadsamoney
$300 is not loadsamoney, and not everyone and their mom had copies of little samson to cash in on.

it's all subjective, and just like the atari/intellevision etc age it will stay inflated until people who are 17-45 stop wanting the merchandise. Give it 17 years, and megaman x3 will go back down to $30 (when younger idiots are paying $150 for super smash bros mele)

>> No.1742298

>>1742253
This. It's going to go down in the next few years. I'm sure it will pick up again in another 20 years or so, but I don't think it will be as bad as now.

>> No.1742304
File: 16 KB, 482x262, idiots.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1742298
>This. It's going to go down in the next few years.
no it won't you idot

>> No.1742308

I don't really feel the price frenzy because I only collect for the Dreamcast and while it's not common to find games regularly at $1 a piece the most expensive stuff is pretty scarce and barely amounts to $100.
I can understand though that the Dreamcast is a peculiar system to collect, given how small its library is.

>> No.1742334

>>1742304
Do you know what a bubble is anon?

>> No.1742335

Retro bubble doesn't really exist in Japan, other than some really rare games that collectors like.

>> No.1742343

>>1742253
>TFW seeing loose copies of Adventure going for $50

Good times. Can't wait 'til I can pick up an old Mario game for a few bucks again.

>> No.1742345

Personally I don't care so long as I can pick up a couple nice Amiga and 8-bit computers. If I were into consoles, I'd just get flash cart. Seems like this craze is about collecting physical game media, and frankly I got no need for that and not sure why so many do.

>> No.1742346

>>1742335
>Retro bubble doesn't really exist in Japan, other than some really rare games that collectors like.

Thats because Japans game market is way different then ours.

We have a tendency to collect, as in have a massive library at our fingertips.

Japan has a tendency to have a floating library, you buy a game, play it, beat it, maybe keep it for awhile and sell it back for probably close to what you paid for it.

>> No.1742351

>>1742346
Does Japan also destroy all their manuals and boxes to make more shelf space?

I fucking hate Gamestop so much.

>> No.1742367

>>1742304
lel someone's mad

>> No.1742368

>>1742351
I don't think they do. I've seen many boxed copies of games from Japan at very nice prices.

If it was a common practice, I'd assume the prices would be much higher than what they are.

I'm under the impression that the Japanese secondhand market and even the retail market tends to want to discount their stocks frequently after a certain period to move stock in and out as fast as possible to make more room for the next round of new goods. Used market gets heavy discounts for even slight damage.

I could be wrong, but I think that's how it goes.

>> No.1742376

>>1742351
>I hate gamestop so much
Haha.
Right before Gamestop and EB stopped stocking PS2 and PS1 games I picked up some gems for fucking peanuts.

Haunting Ground for 15 complete, Persona on PS1 complete, X and Megaman Collection for 5 a piece complete, that kinda thing. I made a fuck huge collection ordering online.

Yeah, I took a risk, and some of my shit is kinda bad, like my Jade Coccoon is an ex-rental CD but its still complete and in good shape besides the sticker on the CD.

Y'all just mad as shit. I hit it at just the right time and picked up so many games for so cheap. I spent like 350 bucks but if I sold it now at like 80% of ebay prices I'd still break 1000 probably.

>> No.1742394

>>1742173
>What caused it
Youtube celebs
Nostalgia fags wanting to relive childhood
More collectors than ever before
Internet making knowledge more available

>How do you cope with the rising prices?
Usually just switch to something that is cheaper like ps2,original xbox,atari,ps1 etc

>> No.1742402

>>1742376
>Y'all just mad as shit.

Yeah, I am. Not because I never have gotten a good deal at Gamestop, I have, but because of the fact they're destroying cases and manuals just to make more shelf space.

I honestly don't know what you're going on about. Finding a deal or something? That's not what I was even talking about.

>> No.1742410

>>1742173
Opportunist assholes wanting to be rich and scalp, that's all.

>> No.1742590
File: 726 KB, 3264x1836, IMG_20140623_233626.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1742376
Under $20 for all of this, when Gamestop was dumping their Playstation inventory. I'll never get an instruction book for Tron Bonne, but I can't really complain at this point.

>> No.1742608

>>1742368
>I'm under the impression that the Japanese secondhand market and even the retail market tends to want to discount their stocks frequently after a certain period to move stock in and out as fast as possible to make more room for the next round of new goods. Used market gets heavy discounts for even slight damage.
I'll never understand why American businesses rarely do this. If they cant sell for a 15-20% discount, it ends up in the fucking trash. I don't get it.

>> No.1742621

>>1742368

The Japanese used market is different because the Jew fears the Samurai.

>> No.1742629

>>1742590
Never say never.

I usually want my single disc games in those single jewel cases to be complete, and usually have some leeway with multi-cd games because the front art is there regardless if the manual is or not. Occasionally you can find manuals for games on eBay and shit, maybe you'll get lucky.

>> No.1742657

>>1742226
Another early example is the Saturn version of Radiant Silvergun, which was pretty expensive to get a hold of even in 2000. If I recall correctly, it peaked at $500(!!!) before the announcement/release of the XBL Arcade port. Now it has dropped down to a steady ~$150, which is still pretty expensive for a game with a print run of ~50,000. Ikaruga on the Dreamcast(which was released a year after the system officially kicked the bucket) also had a ~50,000 print run, and that game goes for ~$65-70 these days.

There are games which have always been expensive though. Notable examples are Fukei Densetsu Sapphire on the PCE-CD and Psychic Warrior Taromaru on the Saturn which only had ~7,500 copies made.

>> No.1742687

>>1742608
>If they cant sell for a 15-20% discount, it ends up in the fucking trash. I don't get it.
it usually doesn't and you know it

>> No.1744083
File: 355 KB, 1195x1600, adf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ever notice that on Ebay, the N64 games go quicker than others, and for more money? For common, run of the mill N64 games like Goldeneye or SM64, people will pay about $15 each, even when buying wholesale. Yet still other older games like NES can be purchased for $5 or less. Maybe this is because N64 is new enough for people (with money) to nostalgia for it, but SNES is just getting too old for them. That's the slightest bit of hope I have that the bubble will deflate, but it's not much.

>> No.1744195

>>1744083
Are you saying the people who were kids when NES was the thing are dead or something? By my calculations they're only middle-aged at most. I don't think any of this bubble stuff is really associated with nostalgia, there's more stuff going on.

>> No.1744296

I think it's mostly a demographics thing.

>born in the 80s
>spend childhood playing NES, Genesis, PSX games
>now you're in your late 20s or early 30s
>not a college student anymore, you make good money, and have lots more space in a house instead of a forum or shitty apartment
>plus you don't get drunk with your friends every night anymore, so you're looking for a hobby an a way to reminisce

But ten years from now:
>you're 40
>your games have been in boxes for awhile now, you need the space for your second or third kid
>plus you're not really invested in games anyways, you're focused on your job, and your kids are old enough to be interesting
>people who are 30 in 2025 probably never had a SNES
>copies of halo 1 go for $100

It's like the guy said about Atari collectors. I never owned an Atari. I played adventure and I thought it was antiquated garbage. I have no emotional attachment to that eta of gaming, I couldn't care less about owning an Atari.

>> No.1744308

>>1744296
*dorm, not forum

>> No.1744353

>>174429
Really only true to an extent. As we start getting to systems like SNES & N64, modern gaming conventions can be seen and understood by even current children. Views on what is "archaic" may really only stay on Atari & NES era because beyond a certain point, the lines blur, and becomes more an aesthetic choice rather than a gameplay limitation.

Certain systems may very well last the next several decades unharmed by new generations.

>> No.1744357

>>1744353
Woops, quoted wrong post.
>>1744296

>> No.1744358
File: 12 KB, 423x325, wildpuresimple.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just wait a few decades. When robots do all the work and the majority of people volunteer to spend the rest of their lives in virtual reality, demand for old games will plummet and you'll have time and money enough at last to amass the collection you've always dreamed of - at least until something decides your collection's a waste of perfectly good atoms. Alternatively, you can live in a virtual world in which there is no shortage of pristine copies of any game you like. And while you're waiting around for immersive VR, Nintendo, Sony and others will have Netflix-like streaming services that allow you to play classic games, including those not available on their current platforms, for just a few credits a month.

>> No.1744408

>>1742351

I lived in Japan. Most people keep the boxes, manuals and everything in good condition because they sell them back to game stores after they are done with them. The reason? Like you said, space limitations.

I really do hope the bubble ends soon though. This is how bad things have gotten:

-In 2011 I sold my mint copy of black label Super Smash Bros Melee for $15. It was the most I could get for it with 6 months of selling. Remember, Melee is the most common GCN game.
-In January 2014 I bought a copy for $6 at a garage sale. Greatest hits version, missing manual, part of the case was chewed by a dog. When I was bored with it, I put it on ebay in May with a $1 start. It sold for $51 including free shipping.

How the FUCK does something like this happen? Yes I know "not retro" the point is everything is getting super pricy for no real reason. I have a copy of Sega Screams Volume 2. It is the rarest Saturn game ever produced, far rarer than PDS, so rare that no one knows how many exist. Only 3 show up on ebay every 5 years. The last two sold for $250 and $360 (complete). One disc only sold for $100. So, the rarest Saturn game, of which maybe a few thousand exist at best, possibly as low as less than a thousand, is worth the same as five incomplete copies of Super Smash Bros Melee. Good God.

>> No.1744442

>>1742226
I also think that the clone systems have something to do with it. There used to only be 50 million or so SNES, now there's probably more than that just because of clone systems floating around. The NES is an even bigger one. I suspect sometimes that there's just too many systems which can play these games.

>> No.1744663

>>1742351
No. I think that goes toward Japan just having a strong belief in the value of things. They have much more value associated with even everyday objects, and so there's a much greater belief in maintaining their condition and stuff.

>>1742368
That sounds accurate, the discounting stuff. I've seen japanese ebay sellers who rate boxes and manuals as a D even if the exact same thing would likely get a B or an A from a western seller.

>>1744408
I think that this is totally different. Melee has become huge as a competitive game recently, and it's been driving up prices of both copies of the game and gamecube controllers. I have a friend who's in the competitive scene. He said it's all because of the last EVO tournament. There was a fundraising challenge, where the game that got the most donations (I think to a cancer fund) would be the last game chosen for EVO's lineup of tournaments. Smash Bros Melee won with 90k or so, and also went on to become the most popular tournament at the event, drawing the largest crowd and body of players. After that, he said that tournaments which normally had 20 people now have 200, and as a result, the resources are in high demand. It doesn't help that they also murder controllers. He told me he has 10 GC pads, and 7 of them are broken (joystick shot, L/R buttons shot, C stick covers torn off) which he claims they die about once a year from sheer intensity of use. I don't know if I believe that (he might just be roughhousing it) but if there is a big number of people like that, then I can see the demand being pretty high.

I know I would never sell my copy of Melee, but when you see prices like that, I admit that it's tempting. Hopefully the new Smash 4 GC controllers will reduce pressure on the population of GC pads.

>> No.1744665

>>1742189
>PS3
which ps3 is the best value?
&
which ones are backwards compatible?

>> No.1744713

>>1742173
>what caused it
Retro games promoted on big channels on youtube, and people growing up and having disposable income. The market takes advantage of them.
>how has it affected me
I was unable to buy back most of the games I used to have in English. Most of my retro collection is imported from Japan because it tends to be cheaper.
>how do I cope
I focus my collecting autism on 6th gen, and only buy /vr/ when I really need it
>will the prices go down
yes. Eventually people will stop caring. Atari 2600 games are pretty cheap nowadays, before long NES games will get like that too.

>> No.1744718

>>1744083
What I've noticed is a bunch of the shitty 90's kids are wanting to get back into their childhood by playing n64 and are buying games for outrageous prices just to relive it. I feel like though it's also happening to earlier systems, it's not as bad as the with the n64

>> No.1744729

>>1742203
I'm not sure that you know how it works.

If people stop buying something at a certain price, then sellers are forced to drop their prices.

A game is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. Games like Earthbound are in consistent demand so it's price will remain static for quite a while, but that does not mean that higher prices will never go back down.

>> No.1744750

>>1744665
I think everything up to the MGS4 PS3 are hardware BC, and after that it's only possible to re-implement with homebrew.

>> No.1744752

>>1744718
SNES is still the king. N64 is just moving into prime position as the next system to get way overpriced.

>> No.1744920

>>1744665
All PS3 models are backwards compatible with PS1 games. But only the 60 and 80GB fat models are backwards compatible with PS2 games.

But if you buy a fat PS3 then you make sure to buy some good thermal compound to go with it, such as Antec Nano Diamond or Artic Silver.

Sony used cheap ass, lead based compound on their fat PS3's and that is they they are prone to failure and overheating.

So you will have to open'er up, make your way to the cpu, remove the old paste and add the new paste.

This will solve your problems as far as the possibility of overheating is concerned.

>> No.1744925

>>1744920
>But only the 60 and 80GB fat models are backwards compatible with PS2 games.

The 20 and 60 gigs are fully compatible. The original 80 gig with four USB ports on the front is only somewhat compatible.

It should be noted that the PS1/PS2 emulator across all PS3s has approximately 40ms of input lag (About 2-3 frames), no matter what resolution you're playing on, standard definition CRT or not.

>> No.1744937

>>1744752
agreed. I've noticed my old N64 games that used to be valued at $10 a piece are not creeping up to $50.

But genesis games have dropped (except fucking bloodlines) and snes is going up or staying right at original 90's retail (unless jrpg).

I wonder what gamecube will look like in the next 15yrs.

>> No.1744939

When I set out to a flea market or retro game store, I limit myself to spending no more than the price of a new AAA game.

When you weigh it up that way, i find that I appreciate their value more.

>> No.1744960

>>1744925
>only somewhat compatible
>near 90%
>somewhat

>> No.1744969

>>1742226
>Even like ten years ago it was common to see one go for over 100.
In early 2012 Earthbound was 75-80

>> No.1744975

>>1744960
Every game launches, but just about every game has minor issues here and there, be it slowdown at specific points or general graphic oddities. It's basically on the same level as the Xbox 360's Xbox compatibility when the games boot on the system.

>> No.1744982

>>1744975
I have a rather robust library of ps2 (around 60 games) and I've only had a minor issue with Growlanser Generations where I have to press the PS button after cutscenes to make the game load into the next part which is a bit annoying, but the game still plays at least.

>> No.1744991

>>1742308
DC games are kinda hard to come by or most of the games I find are sports games, much like with the genesis. i did pick up a DC lot the other day, lots of sports shit, but some cool stuff like Illbleed and Skies of Arcadia.

Found both of those are like ~$50 CIB. im selling SoA for $30, why? Because fuck you market prices, thats why.

>> No.1745000

>>1744083
shit man, i can't even sell OOT for $25 locally.
wtf is with my area

>> No.1745001

>>1742376
>Y'all just mad as shit.
Yeah no kidding, and any sensible person would be too. They threw away cases and manuals for tens of thousands (easily if not hundreds of thousands) of PS1 and PS2 games and then destroyed the games that didn't sell quick enough.

They're doing this again now with DS games and they're starting to with less popular 360/PS3/Wii games (probably Wii too but cannot personally confirm).

That's just plain damn wasteful.

>> No.1745006

>>1744296
xbox games will NEVER be expensive, save for the few that ARE expensive like metal wolf chaos and CIB steel battalion.

>> No.1745007

>>1742189
Parents think that playing games can be addicting, and this is true, but they tend to forget the other side to it which is buying, bidding and collecting.

Like not just 30 minutes ago I was on Amazon looking at games, and was contemplating buying Shining Force CD to complete my Sega CD collection, because at the moment SF CD is at it's absolute lowest that's it's ever been on Amazon or any other outlet for that matter. But the problem is that I have already spent my extra cash this month on a couple of video games. So I sat there and fought back and forth withmyself as to whether I should purchase it, and eventually I gave in and clicked the order button. This happens all the time, I spend my spare quota and never have anything left for other things other than rent and bills. Games can to be a collector, what drugs are to a meth addict sometimes.

>> No.1745041

>>1745007
shit man, i remember in 2007, i could get shit like popful mail and CIB Lunar 1 and 2 for $30.

i loved it when gamestop unloaded all thier pervious gen games at 75% off. its too bad the best gens are behind us and all we have left are resellers.

even today, i saw someone buy up all the GC mario party's at my market today for like 90% retail prices. except for 7, he must have spent over 100$ and while i know people have money, its like you could have spent it better on ebay.

i see too many old people resellers prowling my market now too, saw a guy shifting trough PS2 games and got a copy of Taito Legends. Im starting to move around towards PS2, DC, GC and Wii rather than 5th and 4th gen stuff though I do keep an eye out, it's just getting harder and harder as time goes on.

i;d rather the market crash, crash so fucking hard. I had someone tell me that they were doing this because the money is easy, like its some kind of investment. people like that are why you will never get your copy of little samson or ninja gaiden trilogy.

>> No.1745043
File: 63 KB, 227x392, 1364734161770.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1744408
>-In January 2014 I bought a copy for $6 at a garage sale. Greatest hits version, missing manual, part of the case was chewed by a dog. When I was bored with it, I put it on ebay in May with a $1 start. It sold for $51 including free shipping.
[jaw dropping intensifies]

>> No.1745069

>>1744296
>you need the space for your second or third kid
I don't think that's so common anymore. It sure won't be in the future, thanks to the heavy national debt burden that everyone is having to carry. If you think this recent financial crisis was just a small blip of no consequence, you haven't really ever seen an iceberg before. Things are going to get bad, very bad.

Btw, I'm over 40, have no kids, am not married (avoided that like the plague, seeing how society treats men these days) and still love my nostalgia games, which for me is everything made from the 70s through mid 90s. Then again, I'm not a collector except in the digital sense. I don't like to burden myself with many physical things. Have to travel light, have to be able to move quickly. That's a survival trait in this day and age.

>> No.1745102

>>1745069
I'm pretty sure you're just a kissless virgin.
Good job trying to play it off doe.

>> No.1745139

>>1745102
>seeing how society treats men these days
> If you think this recent financial crisis was just a small blip of no consequence, you haven't really ever seen an iceberg before.
>Have to travel light, have to be able to move quickly.
>That's a survival trait in this day and age.

You realize we're talking about old video games, right? Nobody asked you for your plans about the country's financial future. Grab your Go Bag and fucking leave.

>> No.1745184

fortunately this isn't a problem because the systems with the most expensive collecting are the easiest to emulate while the systems hardest to emulate have the cheapest collecting

>> No.1745235
File: 25 KB, 111x143, 1393886885220.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be teenager
>psx, saturn, n64 released
>go to pawnshops and video stores
>unloading 8bit and 16bit games for cheap
>"Oh man, we are so fucked who would want all this old shit?"
>Customers see old stock
>"Oh who would buy a Nintendo game for more than a dollar? Are these people too poor for playstation ?"
>Scoop up all the games on the cheap.
>2 years later
>Go to some jewed vidya store that is known for over pricing things
>Zelda for $45
>"It's a collectable"
>Go to other jewy comic book store
>Dragon Warrior 1, no box, no manual, $100
>"It's a collectable"
>mfw I realized this was going to be a thing

>> No.1745253
File: 26 KB, 500x375, 1404684613125.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

GAMES :3

>> No.1745271
File: 4 KB, 320x158, 156478l.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Be a kid
>Beg for harvest moon 64 game that just came out
>love it
>grow up into teenager
>need cash for stupid teenage lifestyle
>dont play these games anymore
>be 2004
>among other games, i sell harvest moon 64 for $50 box and manual incl
>surprised i even got that much
>be 2013
>nostalgia hits and start collecting all my old games i used to have
>harvest moon 64 top of my must have list
>find out harvest moon 64 now goes for insane amount of money upwards in the $400 area with box and manual
>$80 for just the cart in shit condition
>mfw

>> No.1745634
File: 23 KB, 955x342, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1744969
This is a lie.

>> No.1745647

I think prices are peaking right now, and wont peak again for 40+ years or more.

Makes it a good time to sell

>> No.1745662

>>1744991
It seems like the hoards of sports games affects all Sega consoles. I can count on one hand the number of non-sports Saturn games I've seen in the wild on one hand.

>> No.1745681

>>1745662
that is damn true of sega consoles. everyone i knew in the 90's that had a sega had at least ONE madden title, but it did have shit like mutant league football and hockey.

saturn games i've been super lucky with. i've found stuff like darius gaiden, night warriors and MMX4 for next to nothing. pretty much found my whole saturn collection in about 1 years time and everything is good.

my DC collection is pretty much done, only about 40 or so games I really wanted for the system. although i do find some games, like the tony hawk games or blitz 2001, which i have on PS1 and i grab them because they play nicer on the DC.

>> No.1745802

>>1745041
My biggest issue is that I had to sell almost everything in my collection a while back to make tuition for school. All I had left was my 360, GC and 3DS, and I sold the majority of the GC games. So I am spending all of leftover money after bills and rent on nothing but games to try and regain my collection as fast as I can.

It really tore a hole in my heart to sell what I did too, because I got rid of my PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, GBA Micro, and every last game to accompany them. I had games like Final Fantasy VII-IX, Skies of Arcadia, The Legend of Zelda: Collectors Edition, Ocarina of Time/Master Quest, Ocarina of Tiime/Master Quest with Wind Waker ect.

>> No.1746693

>>1745139
Actually this whole thread is related to financial matters. In fact, it could very well be that one reason for so many resellers right now is they're having a hard time getting real work, so they hussle to make cash on the side...
Btw, being agile on your feet just means you're ready to move quickly when opportunity comes for a better job, or even a decent job at all. That may mean just the other side of town, but also maybe across the country. Burdening yourself with tons of useless material posessions only makes that harder. If you're going to collect physical, better keep it a small collection, but frankly you'd be better off collecting gold coins and just playing the roms. It never ceases to amaze me how brainwashed people are into "owning" pieces of pastic and silicon for so much money. Well it's much the same reasons they're brainwashed into marriage and other such things. They don't use their brains...

>> No.1746703

The thing that killed collecting was the Buy-It-Now button eBay.

Can't imagine what a ball buster it must be being a '90s born collector. Everything is so overpriced.

>> No.1746875

>>1746703
What's the difference between someone using buy-it-now and someone placing a proxy bid for the same price? Unless you were willing to pay the same amount, you still wouldn't have won the auction, and it's the same thing as someone getting to the used game store or the garage sale and buying the item before you manage to.

>> No.1747356

>>1746693
I have a similar anti-materialistic attitude. I only want what I need. I have a strong disdain for useless material possessions and I'm selling tons of stuff that I own as a result. However, I, ironically, have a weakness for wanting to own physical copies of my favorite games (complete with cases & manuals). It's one of my few vices. I think it has a lot to do with nostalgia as opposed to someone brainwashing me. But i agree that is silly to spend money on that. I will be restricting my collection to only the top finest games of each console. I really hope for a bad market crash for video games so I can get them dirt cheap, but it probably won't happen.

>> No.1747457

I used to want to own tons of physical games back when I was broke and watching too many AVGN episodes

I suddenly grew (snapped, even) out of it fairly recently. I even got to the point of no longer wanting even the games/consoles I did like cause I just came to realize 'why the fuck do I need these things?? they serve no real purpose and I can just emulate them on my TV'

I ended up just throwing most of them out (keeping only my gbc and gg); it wasn't just my games, a lot of other random shit too, like CDs etc

not saying others shouldn't be enthusiastic about their gaming collections, just that you don't want such a silly thing to play such an important role in your life

if you haven't watched the recent AVGN & PatTNP episode, there is a bit where pat sort of has an epiphany about why he is surrounding himself in obsolete distractions (his collection) that cost obscene amounts of money and do nothing to improve his life ... I guess that is what happened to me. I recently spring-cleaned the place and I'm glad I did

/rant

>> No.1747482

>>1747457
>nothing to improve his life
Enjoying life is improving it. Some people get enjoyment out of shit like collecting, finding, hunting. god forbid playing, and displaying what you've accumulated in a cool way.

You obviously don't, but that doesn't mean it makes everyone who does some kind of sub human. My grandmother collects decorative spoons and shes really fucking happy. These aren't the kind of spoons you eat with, they're only purpose is to look pretty. So does that mean shes wrong? That its dumb to collect something that barely even serves its intended purpose (shoveling food into your mouth hole)

Rant somewhere else.

>> No.1747493

>>1747482
I hate when people rant against "useless material possessions. Some people enjoy having the stuff they like. Like yeah, we get it guys. You're too good for marriage, physical copies of video games, or humility.

I bet you took Philosophy your first semester. You even put quotes around "owning." What a douche.

Some people like stuff. Leave them alone.

>> No.1747518

>>1747482
I specifically said people shouldn't not be enthusiastic about their collections. I didn't tell anyone to throw away/sell off anything, just to not let it take over your life, physically or mentally

and I'm guessing fancy spoons don't take up anywhere near as much room as a massive vidya collection you'll be carrying around with you for however long you intend to hold onto them. and as someone in his twenties/thirties is a lot more likely to be moving around from house to house than a settled and retired person, the logistics of such moves would be a heavy burden

>> No.1747521

>everyone itt
>"material possessions are the devil maaaaaaaaan"
No.

You don't hate material things. You hate fucking clutter. Clean your shit up and quit bitching.

>> No.1747528

>>1747518
>logistics of moving would be a heavy burden
Uhaul and a bunch of file boxes is somehow mentally and physically exhausting? This is no different then anyone's possessions, you're also assuming that everyone has hundreds of games, which is true, but my current library, hardware and consoles could easily be fit into 5 office file boxes, 3 or 4 if I really tried to push it. This is hardly a massive space issue that you made it out to be.

>> No.1747534

Disc rot, data rot, and hardware failures are going to claim the hobby entirely some day. It may not be in our lifetime, but we'll no doubt begin to see the effects of it in the next few decades. Seriously, one day all of our shit is just going to be paperweights, good for nothing except displaying on a shelf. And who knows what that will be worth to someone.

>> No.1747539

>>1747521
/thread

>> No.1747542

>>1747534
>Disc Rot
I honestly believe this is blown way out of proportion but anyways.

People collect obsolete shit all the time.

I know people that collect concert tickets from their favorite bands from the 70's and 80's. Their current goal is to collect a ticket from every single one of their shows, which is probably insanely difficult but you know, he's doing it.

>> No.1747549

>>1747528
My Retro collection is rather meager with about 6 systems with 20 games each. I would say your estimate is spot on and most people would fall into this.

Though there was this guy, named something Anderson who used to shop at the store I worked for. He bought 2 copies of every RPG that came out and the strategy guide. His collection was in the thousands. How do these people do it when moving?

>> No.1747553

>>1747528
I was just thinking this. Moving isn't that fucking hard. Maybe if you keep your shit unorganized in the first place, but that's their fault for being unorganized slobs.

I have a pretty sizable collection of games and a very large amount of other, much more fragile goods I collect. I'll most certainly be moving in the next couple years, and I'm not going to have a single problem moving all that shit.

>> No.1747560

>>1742189
Are you me?

>> No.1747561

>>1747553
Yeah, my collection takes up about a 7'x2' wall of my living room. If you organize and plan correctly--and you're not a collector on the level of somebody like Pat the NES Punk--then it shouldn't be a problem.

>> No.1747570

>>1747560
No Anon because I am me and you are not me

>> No.1747597

>>1747528
but I am talking about big-to-huge collections. obviously something easily transportable is no big deal, but large collections (which is what small collections often end up becoming) are not easily transportable for the average person

like your example involving spoons, there's no real impracticality to that as I'm guessing your grandmother isn't living a transient lifestyle and doesn't need to be hauling them around anywhere

>> No.1747601

I have like five or six physical games with five or more Saturn games on the way. I just can't afford to be a retro collector when my only option is Ebay and I always pay double because of shipping costs.

Thank god I have flashcarts and chip mods.

>> No.1747623

>>1747597
Why are you assuming everyone is a god damn nomad?

I've lived in my house for 5 years, since I was 22. Even if I was to move because of a GF or kids or generally needing a bigger place its not some crazy thing to pack your shit up, call some friends to help you haul it to your new place over a day or weekend and be fucking done with it.

Are you moving every 3 months or something because you can't pay your rent and you're getting evicted or something?

>Big to huge
I can assure you an entire room of a collection will collapse down hard when you put it in office boxes. I'm not even fucking kidding, an entire room of games will probably fit in 8-12 boxes probably less, and thats assuming a lot of over sized shit and dedicated boxes for controllers and other peripherals. I would assume you can probably get shit like James Rolfe's collection down to 15 boxes or less. It just looks huge because of the way its displayed on his shelves.

My grandma has over 1200 spoons. I think you vastly under estimate how big of a collection that is.

>> No.1749478
File: 88 KB, 328x235, VRTrooperConfessions.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1742173
I've been a gamer all my life(thus far), and growing up with the changing trends as well as the evolution of the medium births my view-point on the bubble. I've done my fair share of hunting for stuff, not only for myself but others, doing trades with fellow /vr/troopers out there in the wild, had plenty of fun with it, as well as some /vr/-heartbreak which I mainly contribute to the re-sellers. As long as anything is in short supply, and is popular, theres going to be a market for it, and since quality control is an issue, prices will fluctuate on the basis of greed and some cases honesty.
Frankly I know the carts and CDs I own won't last forever, but I'd hate to see that the games I cherished growing up, even more obscure titles and such will someday vanish. Companies like Nintendo have taken steps, same with Sony, to provide a form of preservation, but the hundreds, even thousands of titles that still have no official digital copy form become the target of overpricing in the retro-market as a result. In truth I really tire of trying to find a reasonably priced copy of the games I still yearn to have in my collection, though thats been streamed down due to a lot self-assessment. I wish that these companies could work out much of the licensing issues that hold them back from dumping their libraries in full onto their respective networks, so more people have access, and the retro-market would finally crash. This is a pipe-dream sadly, so if I can't find it on my own in the wild, I tend to emulate more as time goes by, I don't feel much paying an arm and a leg for an RPG, or ordering a hard to find obscure title only to find the disc or cart in contradiction to the description.
>TL:DR Answer
if the bubble ever does burst, it will be in due part to companies finally pulling it together, stop hating money, and getting their licensing issues ironed out, by then we'll likely will be old and gray. In the mean-time, I'm going to go play Devil Dice.

>> No.1750618

>>1746693
some people don't like constantly moving. it's not being stupid, it's having different preferences

>> No.1751353
File: 1.89 MB, 3160x2064, snes games.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>started to notice my local craigslist/kijiji no longer has any good listings
>retro reseller shops opened in town
>they post everyday and grab everything else posted and re-post it at inflated prices
>begin making fake posts with insanely rare games in the collections & include photos
>post in all listings "will deliver"
>get resellers addresses
>begin sending them to each others houses

>> No.1751365
File: 135 KB, 596x591, 1376762913702.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1742189
>My face when I had Drakengard 2 last year and sold it for $5 at a yard sale because it wasn't worth shit at the time
>My face when seeing it spike up in price suddenly even before Drakengard 3 came out
>My face when the first Drakengard is now rising in price too

Even if Drakengard 2 is shit, I still hate myself for selling it for that low. I had no idea it would rise in price like that.

>> No.1751381

>>1751365
>Even if Drakengard 2 is shit, I still hate myself for selling it for that low. I had no idea it would rise in price like that.

Blame the relative success of Nier and its hipster appeal. As its set in the same universe, and Drakengard was relatively obscure.

>I bought an auction for 77 bucks
>Drakengard, Drakengard 2, Champions of Norrath, and Valkyrie Profile 2 but without cover art.

If they're complete and work (untested) I got a fucking deal. If they don't, I just get eBay to refund me and I have some shelf candy. I actually don't really mind reprinting a cover for Valkyrie Profile 2 as theres one on cover project and it won't be a big deal.

Gotta buy Drakengard 3 now

>> No.1751412

>>1745006
>xbox games will NEVER be expensive
that's what they said about PSX games 10 years ago, and now look

>> No.1751426

>>1751381
I still need to get the first Drakengard before it reaches D2 levels of prices. And yeah I think one of the first game's endings leads directly into Nier. Also, if you're collecting for PS2 right now I'd recommend getting all of the Shin Megami Tensei games. Literally all of them are on PSN including Persona but I'd rather buy them in physical form while they're cheap.

>>1751412
Xbox had a lot of multiplats you could get elsewhere. The only games that are gonna be worth anything in 10 years are the exclusives. And as of now, there are very few expensive Xbox games besides Conker and that one Teen Titans game.

>> No.1751435

>>1751426
Xbox is also insanely easy to mod, which should lead into easy emulation in the future.

I generally have no interest in it, but I agree that its probably going to be less popular then Gamecube or PS2.

>Persona games
I got Persona 4 in a lot, but I've never played any of them. Devil Summoner is already crazy high and the PS1 Persona game is pretty pricey too.

>> No.1751436

>>1751365
you never do really. and many of them will just crash in price too.

>> No.1751456

>>1751435
Even after a reprint and digital release it seems like both Devil Summoner games stay at a decent price. DS1 goes for around $30-35 while 2 goes for around $40-50.

Luckily I have both games. I had the Limited Edition of DS2 with the plush toy. Still sealed too.

>> No.1751484

>>1751353
I'd be sending them dog shit but i guess that works too

>> No.1751673

>>1745069
How does society treat men these days?

>> No.1752340

>>1751353
Your post reminds me: we need to start up another "/vr/ Reseller Olympics" one of these days

>> No.1753784
File: 215 KB, 794x732, 1390881722724.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw retrububble is still on in Brasil

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-564899431-pokemon-stadium-n64-original-nova-sem-caixa-com-encartes-_JM

>stadium
>no box
>135 bucks
>70 dollars

>> No.1754198

>southamerica
>everything is expensive as fuck
>pirate all my life

My main objective with collecting now is to replace all my piracy with legit copies, to start I got almost all The Sims expansion (missing 2).

I mostly played PC in the early 2000 and PS1. I don't know how this will affect me.

>> No.1754205

>>1753784
What is this shit? This whole website...really?

>> No.1754339

>>1753784
>>1754198
>>1754205

No one gives a fuck about Brazil, especially not after getting a pity goal at the end of a fucking crushing 7-0 domination by the ubermensch

>> No.1754371

>>1754339
>They support holland just to despise us
>Holland loses
It is a good time to be from Argentina

>> No.1754402

I stopped collecting because everything is just over valued at the moment. Also I don't like the people I have to deal with when you are collecting games.

>> No.1754403

>>1754339
Jokes on you I'm Argentinian

>> No.1754468

>>1742335
This is actually one of the reasons I'm learning Japanese right now. Because buying Japanese games/consoles/everything else is WAY cheaper than what I'd be paying for in my home country. I could get 6 AAA N64 games, a console and a few controllers in the Japanese release for the same price I'd pay for just one of the games.

I ebay searched Mario Kart 64.

My country (cartidge only, dirty as fuck): $60+

Japanese version (Boxed, pristine cond.): $20

You do the math.

>> No.1754478

>>1742345
I used to look into flashcarts alot and I even bought a few. Emulators can emulate the game for you, and you may still be able to play the game on your laptop with a X360 controller, but there's just something about owning the physical media, with the box, fittings and manuals all still included that makes it feel great. It's just nice to have a tangible object that I can look at and touch.

I've always preferred playing my games on my own consoles and TV, mainly because I feel that's the way they designed to be played. I just can't get that same experience through an emulator.

>> No.1754487

>>1754468
Shipping sucks really bad though. I wish I didn't have to pay out the ass to get something faster than a month.
Also, the NA retro bubble is actually affecting the JP market somewhat. Gimmick ballooned in price there just because foreigners are buying all the carts up.

>> No.1754509

>>1754487
shipping from japan to canada isn't that bad its usually 15 bucks for expedited EMS shipping and like 6 bucks for unregistered SAL and shipping from the states to Canada is always like 10 bucks. Fuck you muricans

>> No.1754635

>>1754487
Actually the postage isn't too bad from Japan to Australia, only if you're buying multiple items though. I've been frequenting a website called Jauce. They let you view Yahoo Japan (Ebay doesn't really exist in Japan) and you can buy shit from the listings. You give Jauce the money, they buy it and receive it on their end, then you pay postage from where they are plus extra fees (like a tip I guess).

It would be better to buy bulk items, like 6 games and a console+controllers because you'll be paying shipping (usually $10 - $20+) plus servicing fees and it's not worth all that shipping for one game.

The funny thing is, even if I pay all that shipping and extra fees, it's STILL cheaper than buying those same games and consoles here in AUS.

>> No.1754661

>>1754509
>SAL
As part of a trade agreement a couple months ago Japan post no longer offers this to most countries.
Now it's EMS or nothing.

>>1754468
If you want Japanese games check out Rakuten:
http://global.rakuten.com/en/
Cheap as fuck, and everything I've ordered has been in pristine condition.

>> No.1754674
File: 464 KB, 1324x992, 1389424902994[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1742173
>How has it affected you individually?

Fucking wanting Mario Kart 64/Mario Party 3 and people asking $100+ for each because 'hurr rare collectors retro'. I've been to markets and people admitting that the prices are high because 'that's what they go for on ebay'.

Fucking quick-money schemed resellers.

Learning Japanese right now so I can just buy all the games/consoles from Japan because that shit is cheaper AND better quality.

Sometimes I might find the odd decent pricing for a game every once in a blue moon.

>Do you think prices will actually ever go back down?

Hard to say really. We're in an age of gaming where originality isn't much a thing anymore. Almost every genre thinkable has been made/invented and rehashed. Look at the Original Xbox and PS2 games, most of them have been selling for peanuts for a solid 5 or so years and they'll probably stay that way unless the next gen of consoles takes shit to the next level (Virtual Reality I'm guessing) and those old 6th gen games start rising because "they're collectables and super rare now!". When that happens N64 and PS1 games might finally drop down. I'm referencing what that other guy said about Atari games at one stage once they became old enough for not enough people to care about them.

N64 is probably experiencing the worst of this bubble right now, some of the prices are totally ludicrous (any mario party, anything AAA or by Rare).

But all we can do is hold each others hands and pray /vr/others.

>>1754661
Thanks for the tip. Akiba-games is good for rare titles and consoles but they're not always cheap.

>> No.1754680 [DELETED] 

>>1751381
Will you fags stop blaming hipsters on anything? Shit if anyone is a hipster it's this board constantly getting asshurt over people getting interested in older games after you guys did.

>> No.1754725

There's multiple interlocking reasons the bubble has occurred, some more obvious than others.
-It has become trendy to be "nerdy"
-People who originally played these games as kids are now gaining enough income to attempt to buy back their childhood
-Indie games that are often homages to retro games have become popular
-***In America at least, the downturn of the economy a few years ago has caused a surge in interest in vintage second hand goods. In the beginning this was likely an attempt by many to save money, but over time has become a trendy thing to do. This isn't just happening in vidya, vinyl records have recently seen a comeback in popularity, young "hip" people sometimes dress in a retro or second hand style you find at stores such as Urban Outfitters, and even a song about a Thrift Shop has reached the top of the charts. Hell, on HGTV they have a show called "Flea Market Flip". I think a lot of people overlook this last point.

>> No.1754741

>>1754468
The only problem I have is that sometimes a lot of shit is changed from the japanese version to the american version. Bug fixes, additional/improved content, different music/sound effects, and things like that.

At least during the fifth and sixth gen that happened a lot.

>> No.1754749

>>1754725
>I think a lot of people overlook this last point.

Gotta agree with you there. Don't forget Auction Hunters, Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, and American Pickers. There is a whole fucking genre of people just buying old stuff and flipping it.

>> No.1754830

>>1754725
>>1754749

Interesting, I never thought of that last point before. It definitely has become a trend to buy vintage shit from discount 2nd hand places and the like. I agree there are a whole group of people just buying old shit, prettying it up and selling it.

>> No.1755048 [DELETED] 

>>1754371
Walter?

>> No.1755689

>>1751426
>teen titans
>multiplat shovelware
>40+ dollars
Fucking why

>> No.1755757

>>1747542

One of my Saturn games already has disc rot. The funny thing is that I bought it from a person who took very good care of their games and even kept the foam block inside so the manuals didn't get all warped from when he bought them in the mid 90s. The disc is very well taken care of and has almost no scratches. And yet, you can see the meandering worm of death known as disc rot on it. And it didn't have disc rot when I bought it. It got it while sitting in its case, in a cabinet in my room. I only played the game one time with a friend and that's it, and now, disc rot. It sucks but it happens...

>> No.1755761

>>1754468

Just be careful not to fall for traps. I've seen people put copies of Rockman X2 complete for $110 on ebay. You can buy Rockman X2 complete in Japan for 2000¥ (~$20).

I don't know who's going to fall for this shit but I pray no one is dumb enough to

>> No.1755917

>>1755757
Either you got a defective copy, or you take shit care of it.

I have a copy of Jumping Flash from 1994. Factory reject from a family friend actually, the design on the top of the CD was messed up, but it worked fine.

I just put it into my PS2 after reading your post, and it's perfectly fine. "Disk Rot" seems to be something emulatorfags are spamming to try and scare collectors, and it isn't working.

>> No.1756013

>>1755917

It must be that the plastic on the disc is thin because as I said I didn't take shit care of it. I take care of it to the same degree I take care of all my other games and none of them have disc rot. I'm just saying it can happen to anything, and unfortunately it happened to a somewhat valuable game

>> No.1756049

>>1756013
Yeah, it can happen, but for most discs it never will. The only media I'd really actively worry about disc rot is Laser Disc. Even then that's a crap shot.

Most discs will be around long after we die. Only magnetic tape and shit like that is really fucked when it comes to aging.

>> No.1756089

>>1742687
What I meant to say was there's never really more than a 15-20% discount on these goods, you almost never see 75-80% kind of liquidating prices just to get SOME money back on stock that isnt selling.

>> No.1756093

>>1755761
They're getting harder to find for a reasonable price on eBay. I just bought one for $35 boxed. Same thing is happening with Mother 2, I've seen sellers try to ask for 2-300 bucks for it boxed, it's fucking hilarious.

>> No.1756708
File: 125 KB, 1017x700, plagio.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No one believes this price increase will keep going forever, right?? That's like Economics 101. Better sell your Earthbound copies right now and buy a truckload of games in a few years, guys.

>> No.1756725

>>1753784
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-508566855-nes-battletoads-o6151-original-_JM

60 bucks for Battletoads

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-510705330-nintendo-game-boy-advance-sp-ags-001-video-juego-consola-_JM

$100 for a GBA SP

I really have no fucking idea where they get those prizes from. No one fucking buys them, either.

>> No.1756753

>>1756725
There is no retro market here.

>> No.1756890

I'm 35, 3 kids, own a house, 4 vehicles, and work full time. I love my old shit. I have a pretty massive collection of games. NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, DS, Genesis, Sega Gamegear, PS1, PS2, PS3 (60g), XBOX, Atari Lynx, Atari Jaguar. All original systems, no clones. I have about 50 games each for most of the systems. I also have a lot of peripherals like the Super Scope for the SNES, the Power Glove (it's a paper weight as it's useless for playing anything, just part of the collection), and a lot arcade style controllers. To use some stuff you must have a CRT style Tv. I like my stuff. It has moved with me quite a few times. It's not that hard to pack and unpack. I've been playing some of the same games off and on for the last 30 years. It is nostalgic at times but it's also more challenging because the games don't just play themselves like some of the newer games. I love the older RPG's. I still buy games on Amazon and eBay all the time. Just gotta wait for the deals sometimes.

>> No.1757250

>>1756753
Fucking faggots trying to sell an original Xbox for $250.

I found that the best way to go about buying videogames in argentina is the smaller sites outside ML and those facebook sell pages.

the problem here is that as thing are hard to get everyone is informed. But in facebook you are most likely to get some cheap shit.

I got a almost new Kinect for around $60, here that shit is a good deal.