[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 76 KB, 640x360, 130826104140-mortal-kombat-video-game-horizontal-gallery[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1737678 No.1737678 [Reply] [Original]

Hysteria about video game violence seems to have hit its peak in the 90's. Which hysterical freak out do you think is the silliest? Article to spur discussion:

>10 most controversial violent video games

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/26/tech/gaming-gadgets/controversial-violent-video-games/

>> No.1737684 [DELETED] 

>>1737678
>peak in the 90's
Eeeehhhh. I'd trade the violence hysteria for the Sarkeesian hysteria of today. It almost feels warm and familiar to reflect back on how Mortal Kombat was going to ruin our nation's youth.

>> No.1737708

>>1737678

For the article

>5. 'Silent Hill' (1999)

I really disagree with this. I never heard of any hysteria or controversy over the game. The vast majority of people didn't know about it. It was a cult hit, but that's about it. It flew under the radar for the morality in media people. I'd accuse the author of not really knowing the issue all that well.

>For the original, a monster called "The Grey Child" -- a small, naked creature encountered near a school -- had to be redesigned before the game could be released in North America. The monster was eventually taken out of the European release altogether.

I know it was removed for the JP and EU release, but is it true it was redesigned for NA?

>> No.1737741
File: 122 KB, 250x428, Duke_Nukem[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1737678

For me, freakouts over Doom and Duke Nuke 3D.

>Doom

Doom since it's not really that bad. You should zombies and demons. Oh well. It's so outrageous and absurd to claim these graphics are even realistic or anything. I bet a lot of soccor moms thought you were some psycho going around killing people or that it was pro-Satan or something.

>Duke Nukem 3D

I'm still shocked how people, even today completely don't get that game. It was popular primarily because it was a well designed fast paced action game. Duke himself is an over the top pastiche of male heroes, especially from the 80's and 90's American cinema. He's those heroes taken to an absurd degree. In short, Duke Nukem 3D is not meant to be taken seriously. It's parody, stupid and fun. That's all I ask from a video game.

Yet you saw a lot of people in the 90's take Duke Nukem 3D dead seriously and complain about the messenges it sends to youth. This was even more amusing since many such commentators were rather out of touch and only discussed Duke Nukem games long after they were popular. It was basically 3D that was the hugely popular game, with the others only having moderate success.

>> No.1737745

>>1737708
Yes it was, it became more of a shadow monster instead

>> No.1737749

>>1737741
>Duke Nukem
>a parody of action heroes

http://www.destructoid.com/the-duke-delusion-why-duke-nukem-isn-t-a-parody-203745.phtml

>> No.1737772

>>1737749
>Then, after playing Duke Nukem Forever, I took a long, hard look at the Duke Nukem character and realized he was not the astute parody I thought he was. I'd been lied to ... or rather, I had lied to myself.

This is where I stopped reading. I can't take anyone's opinion on Duke seriously when their springboard is the worst game in the franchise, a product of development hell for longer than any other product in digital entertainment and the victim of multiple re-writes, alterations and a last minute paint-over by people who have only ever had experience with the franchise from a third-person perspective.

Also,

>Jim Sterling.

>> No.1737783

>>1737772

Forever was pretty bad, and I got bored of it pretty quick. The only part I liked was the part re-doing the last bit of 3D. Most of the jokes fell flat too.

>> No.1737854

>>1737684
There is no "Sarkeesian hysteria." It's just a bunch of bloggers on the internet hyping each other up. It's not like people in the mainstream know shit about it or worry the way parents did over MK.

>> No.1737864

>>1737854
And the internet is where I spend my time discussing gaming. It's part of the reason I love the /vr/ board so much. None of the current crap floating around infecting my conversations.

I realize the irony in me being the one to bring her up.

>> No.1737876

>>1737864
>>1737854

I would say that feminist critiques of modern games have nowhere the degree of cultural impact as the 90's video game hysteria.

The 90's stuff was huge. Politicans were in on it. There were entire lobbying groups devoted to just this. Mainstream news coverage all the time.

>> No.1737886

>>1737864
>I realize the irony in me being the one to bring her up.

You're probably a dipshit like the ones on /v/ who don't shut up about things they hate. Don't take it personally.

>> No.1737890

Can anyone find any nice retro news reports and videos on this topic? Stuff from the 90's.

>> No.1737893
File: 23 KB, 320x320, Elizabeth top gun.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1737749

>Outrageous exaggeration is key to a good parody, and Duke has never really been outrageous.

>> No.1737895

>>1737854

I dunno. We used to have pioneers, now we have racial/sexual ambassadors.

>> No.1737926

>>1737741
I remember when I was a kid in the 90s at work party my mom had to go to one of the ladies there was describing Duke 3D as a game where you get points for shooting strippers.

>> No.1737929

>>1737893
I guess ripping an alien's head off to shit down its neck and reading a newspaper while doing it isn't that outrageous.

>> No.1737945

>>1737772
>>1737783
>the worst and unfunniest game in the franchise is the one that came out after you had graduated high school

Funny how that works.

>> No.1737976 [DELETED] 

>>1737854
>>1737876
The big difference is the industry, games jounalists and the fans were all on the same page when it came to crusty old white male politicians "threatening" the industry, so internally there was no real threat of influence from them.

Nowadays when you replace the crusty old white guys with a good little college-age liberal sufficiently ethnic woman, you get the exact same people from the industry who used to go on fox news or whatever to debate the crusty old white guys about how the idea that video games cause real violence is ridiculous, nodding their heads along in smug agreement about how "problematic" the industry and the audience is and making vague statements about how video games NEED to be more "inclusive," "sensitive," or "grow up" and never ever letting a good outrage scandal, manufactured or otherwise, go by without chiming on on how this just proves we have a problem that NEEDS to be fixed!

If you don't think that influence has already gone 100 times further than the crusty old white politicians ever did, you need to take your head out of the sand.

>> No.1737996

>>1737976
Games are more violent and sexual than ever before. It's a lot of talk.

>> No.1738021

>>1737929
It's not. It's one of those lines that's adapted from an old movie, except he actually does it. it's not really outrageous, it's an alien, it had it coming.

>>1737749
Sure, it's not much of a parody, but some of it tries. It's a homage, a joke, it's intentionally cheap, the joke is on people who don't get that he's an imitation on 80's action heroes. Some of the lines do seem intentionally screwed up, like, "Why I'm so great" or "I live the smell of sewers in the morning"

>> No.1738030
File: 180 KB, 1280x960, Meet_cyberdemon.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1737741
I've always thought something about Doom is plain sick tbh. I don't blame the game for Columbine or kids killing people though. Those twats were fucked up to begin with and you can't put the blame on Doom. There's a huge disconnect between video games and reality which is obvious to any sane person.

That said, I still think Doom is pretty damn twisted. Don't get me wrong, it's one of my favourite games of all time, but seriously. For one thing it has absolutely no comic relief. The game is completely devoid of any humanistic element; you just go from A to Z slaughtering countless demons while being bombarded with gore, corpses, impaled/maimed bodies, hell and brimstone, satanic imagery etc all the way through. All you hear (apart from the bleak and relentless metal inspired music) are the sounds of enemies growling and moaning in pain with your gunshots ringing as you take them down. The monster design is also so damn unnerving. Maybe I played this game too young but I almost feel as though a piece of my soul is forever trapped in those murky, pixelated DOS corridors.

There have been far more violent games since Doom's release and with better graphics to boot, too, but Idk. Something about Doom is so much darker to me than all the other video games I've ever played. Even something like Blood is filled with comic relief and is intentionally over the top to the point that it's just comical (cultist screams, the physics are funny, Caleb's wise cracks etc). Same goes for something like God of War III, even with its far superior graphics. To give more examples, violent games like Carmageddon, Duke Nukem 3D and the original GTAs were all filled with humour and comic relief. Doom has absolutely none of it.

As I said, maybe it's just 'cause I played it so young that I feel this way towards it but I played a lot of violent games growing up and none of them stuck to me the way Doom did.

>> No.1738036

>>1738030
I think you're looking too deep into it. Doom for me just comes off as a bunch of heavy metal nerd's idea of what's cool crammed into one game hence why a lot of the music were just blatant renditions of already existing metal songs.

>> No.1738048

>>1738030
When I was a kid it was just wolfenstein 3d with monsters to me.

>> No.1738049

>>1738036
you might be right but idk man
no other game ever made me feel like doom did

>> No.1738062

What game got under your skin more than any other game you ever played /vr/? And why?

>> No.1738098
File: 50 KB, 600x450, rabbits.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1738030
>For one thing it has absolutely no comic relief. The game is completely devoid of any humanistic element

Not quite. At the end, it's revealed that this was your revenge for them killing your rabbit - daisy. You execute commander keen in the secret level. And if you noclip in to kill the final boss, it's john romero's head.

>> No.1738108

>>1738030
I feel ya, brother. I think what got me the most was the sfx. Everything sounds creepy as fuck, no two ways about it. Certain enemy howls stay with you, for better or worse.
Couple that with the art direction, and seeing your busted up, hopeless face whenever you get raped, and you've got the stuff of nightmares.
Fucking gold, Jerry.

>> No.1738140

>>1738036
Yeah pretty much. It's like heavy metal + sci-fi and horror B movies + Dungeons & Dragons, all wrapped up into one sweet little package.

And I can understand why the game seems grim at times. The fantasy and horror elements have to be played completely straight; any attempts at humor would undermine the artistic vision.

>> No.1738171

Take a trip back to 1993:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD-Afpg4P2U

Funny how Mortal Kombat and Night Trap were seen as the decline of western civilization back then.

>> No.1738179

>>1738171
>2h49m
yeah no

>> No.1738186

>>1737749

This article is retarded.

>Duke Nukem is not over-the-top. Compare his games to those such as Serious Sam or Bulletstorm. In those games, the action is relentless, the characters highly exaggerated, and the humor hard to miss. Sam "Serious" Stone sounds functionally retarded and fights with a handheld cannon against an overwhelming assortment of farcical and impractically designed enemies, while Bulletstorm's characters go out of their way to come up with nonsensically vulgar lines such as, "I will kill your dick." Again, take a look back to Duke, a character whose games are shockingly slow paced when compared to other shooters, and whose lackluster dialog is concerned more with aping smooth one-liners than trying to make anybody laugh.

You may also notice that those games were made LONG after Duke Nukem 3D. At the time DN3D WAS over the top. It's just that other games upped the ante.

>> No.1738259

>>1738186
duke nukem 3d should have continued to age and improve upon itself.

>> No.1738264

>>1738186
>At the time DN3D WAS over the top
Especially since it came out the same year as Quake, which is about as grim and humorless as it gets.

>> No.1738269

>>1738264

Exactly. Previous FPS were like Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, and Quake. Straightforward, fairly grim games. DN3D was different in that it was goofy and funny and over the top silly.

The writer is a complete tool (like most modern video game "journalists") and writing with the bias of a modern outlook.

>> No.1738415

>>1737749
>Jim Sterling
opinion discarded

>> No.1738581

Not that retro, because GTA only got big in the 2000s, but I agree with the hysteria regarding GTA.

In Doom you kill evil creatures, Demons.
In most first person shooters you are a good guy killing lots of bad guys, like a rambo movie.

I don't have a problem with that.

But GTA is almost a crime simulator, a game that lets you role play as a criminal, that is completely different. And coming from a third world country more dangerous than the USA or Europe I don't see why middle class first world people with very safe lives in very safe neighbourhoods like playing that so much.

>> No.1738585

>>1738098
that's 2

>> No.1738603

Nobody gave a shit about GTA2, good or bad, but the first GTA caused a massive stir in England.
At Rockstar's behest, publicist Max Clifford had spreads tales about the game's subject matter, violence, drugs/sex references, etc. around tabloids, and it naturally steam-rolled into the rest of the media, and gained public infamy.

>>1738581
>I don't see why middle class first world people with very safe lives in very safe neighbourhoods like playing that so much
Escapism, roleplay, fucking around with no consequences.
Killing bad guys is one thing. Being bad guys can feel more fun and liberating in a first-world society.

>> No.1738771

Blame DOOM for a school shooting.

Also Pokemon.

>> No.1738781

>>1738581
>And coming from a third world country more dangerous than the USA or Europe I don't see why middle class first world people with very safe lives in very safe neighbourhoods like playing that so much.

Because the games are well designed.

>> No.1738787

I remember Mortal Kombat.

>> No.1738793

>>1738603
>At Rockstar's behest, publicist Max Clifford had spreads tales about the game's subject matter, violence, drugs/sex references, etc. around tabloids, and it naturally steam-rolled into the rest of the media, and gained public infamy.
R* have always been so based. Smart move.

Awww man I remember the first time I saw my friend playing the GTA1 demo when I was like 12. Another friend and I saw him playing this primitive looking top down game on his computer; just a dude running around in a big open world. Then suddenly I see him run up to a random car, rip the door open, throw the guy out, reverse and run over him, before driving on. It was like 'WHAT? DID I JUST SEE THAT?!' We watched on as the police started chasing him.

He laughed (he had a Beavis laugh as well lol) and said, 'check this out!' and he gets out of the car with a rocket launcher and blows up the police car chasing him. Man oh man that was a good day. I'd never seen anything like GTA1 before.

It was ages until any of us got the full game but we were happy just playing the demo. You could only play each game for a set amount of time before the time limit was up. We ended up taking turns seeing who could get the highest score in the time you had. You could obviously use anything at your disposal; missions, kill frenzies, etc. I remember I had the highest score for ages just by doing the missions alone and then using the multiplier from them to do killing sprees, but then another friend beat me by finding all the kill frenzies and using the multipliers they gave to go on killing sprees. I didn't know where all of them were so that was that, and this was before the age of internet. So that one kid won out in the end, and then we all got the main game anyway so that was that.

Good times mang.

>> No.1738903
File: 42 KB, 254x475, MazesMonstersVHSCover[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Whatever new thing kids are into that adults don't understand is probably bad for them.

I personally hate Bratz dolls with a burning passion.

>> No.1739119

>>1738903
As do I, but its a logical hatred in my eyes. There's quite a few hyper-sexualized dolls out there aimed at pre-teens and under, Bratz being the most egregious. At least videogames ended up with a competent rating system, if only to be ignored by the parents and reinforcing the fact that many don't pay attention or just don't give a fuck even if they claim to. Those dolls are for those little girls. The Monster High dolls are in the same boat. By age 10 girls are pretty much fucked. Proper.

>> No.1739176

>>1738581
>Not that retro, because GTA only got big in the 2000s, but I agree with the hysteria regarding GTA.

There was hysteria and controversy over the first and second GTA games. It got even bigger after GTAIII.

>> No.1739237

>>1737749

>jim sterling article

Why the fuck are you even on this board? It's just him bitching about how Duke is 'misogynistic' and taking something seriously that was never meant to be.

Jesus what a fucking moron.

>> No.1739427

>>1739237
Probably because Jim's so fat, /v/ can't contain him all.

Ho-hooo! Get it? Because... I, uh... I'll show myself out.

>> No.1739598

I guess I missed the boat because I don't remember any controversy around GTA until the hot coffee thing with SA. At my high school the computer lab had GTA1 installed and that's how I spent many mornings in web design class because we had a music teacher as a teacher who didn't really understand computers, let alone how to teach web design.

I remember Mortal Kombat's controversy though, but it didn't stop my dad from buying them for me, thankfully. I think he thought the violence was funny, which it is because it's so cartoonish and silly. It's hard to believe anyone could get offended over it.

>> No.1739630

>>1739598
>I guess I missed the boat because I don't remember any controversy around GTA until the hot coffee thing with SA.

You did. The first one got some news and it was banned in a few countries.

>> No.1739713

>>1737678
>2D drawing of an anime girl = pedo scum pls get raped in jail. Thanks neofag.

>> No.1739726

>>1738793
>Based
it's just some viral marketing
http://whatculture.com/gaming/gta-v-9-facts-that-will-blow-your-mind.php/4

>> No.1740016

>>1738030
I feel you, man. There is something pretty unnerving and unsettling about Doom, a feeling that no other fps retro or contemporary ever gave me. This feeling is heightened even more when I play a sourceport with Brutal Doom + Brutalized Doom, so it's not nostalgia.

I can't explain if it's the sound, the music, the level design and art, the gameplay, the monsters... probably the combination of all these elements. Whenever I play Doom for a extended period of time, it feels as if I were looking deep into a Lovecraftian abomination that's slowing draining my sanity points away - like I said, it's a feeling no other fps ever game me, including other retro fps using the Doom engine or Doom 3. Then I realize I'm being sucked into the abyss and stop playing, sometimes not going back to that playthrough ever again and laying the game down for a few months. When Lovecraft says that looking into an abomination can drive you insane just by the sight of it, I guess playing Doom is the closest I've ever experienced of this actual feeling.

Maybe this was intentional - after all, you're pretty much on a mission to invade the depths of Hell to kill satan itself - and if it was intentional, it's a work of genius, especially considering the limited technology of the time. Hell or any place dominated by its forces, not only shouldn't allow you to feel safe or comfortable even for a second, they should actually start getting to you as you venture forth and affect your sanity - and because of the limited tech and lack of narrative, the only way to do it was to affect the player itself. However, while he seems a pretty chill guy on the surface, I wouldn't want to ever know, see or hear what actually lurks in the depths of John Romero's mind.

>> No.1740026

>>1740016
By the way, I remember back in the day arguing with bible-thumper classmates at my school, how a game where you're supposed to voluntarily descend into Hell in a mission to kill satan and his minions can be considered satanic or anti-christian. Yes, there is satanic imagery and creatures in game, but if you're visiting hell what do you expect to see? Some of them actually agreed and changed their minds, even said they were going to try it out. Haha.

>> No.1740059

>>1740016
>while he seems a pretty chill guy on the surface, I wouldn't want to ever know, see or hear what actually lurks in the depths of John Romero's mind.

Jesus you must be sheltered or I must be really fucked up because I am always thinking about cool shit like that. They just lifted the idea for doom from one of their D&D campaigns its not really that out there.

>> No.1740202

>>1738581

I guess it's just because you don't feel like you're killing real people. You're killing mindless 3D models

>> No.1740213

>>1740016
Dude you're replying to here.

>This feeling is heightened even more when I play a sourceport with Brutal Doom + Brutalized Doom, so it's not nostalgia.
Actually when I play Brutal Doom the feeling is dramatically reduced because of BD being so ridiculously over the top. Also the dumb screams that the guy added for when doomguy dies make me crack up.

>Whenever I play Doom for a extended period of time, it feels as if I were looking deep into a Lovecraftian abomination that's slowing draining my sanity points away
EXACTLY. THAT'S EXACTLY IT. Dude that whole paragraph you wrote hit the nail on the head on so many factors, including the design of Doom itself and how all the elements work together to shape the exact end result I've greentexted. I couldn't have said it better myself. In my original post I wanted to mention how I'd feel completely drained, bug-eyed and all distorted after playing Doom for extended periods of time but I hit the character limit. It felt like all the life force had been sucked out of me. When I stopped playing after a long run it almost felt like I had been completely disconnected from the world (shows how awesome Doom was at immersion) and everything seemed slightly different when I 'came back'. It was as though I had been in another dimension altogether and when I returned to 'reality' things seemed less in focus and I almost felt as if I had permanently changed a bit. This didn't only happen when I was 8. It can happen pretty much any time after I've been playing Doom for hours upon hours at a time, and it really has never happened with any other game I've played. The game is just so abstract in every way (music, level design, monsters, sounds, the general look of the world, textures, etc) and being in those abstract mazes with only demons and hellspawn took its toll on me more so than any other game.

>and if it was intentional, it's a work of genius
I agree man. Doom truly is a piece of art.

>> No.1740223

>>1738108
Yes indeed. Doom's sound design was something else. And christ that game bled paranoia with Doomguy face always looking around through the corners of his eyes.

Nothing quite like that big teethed smile he'd make when he picks up a new weapon and his face is all bloodied at the lowest health. Dat grin through the blood fucking hell.

>> No.1740304

>>1740213

Dude, the same thing happens to be after I play doom for a while. I don't know how to explain it, but reality feels part if soon and I think if the things I'm doing in terms of the game. When I'm near a door or a wall I imagine myself pressing the action button. I can't explain it. I feel like I'm controlling a character and not myself

It's the only game that does that to me.

>> No.1740408

Doom confirmed for causing Columbine massacre.

>> No.1740471

I never understood why people thought Doom was promoting satanism or whatever it's called. Even as I kid I thought fighting demons, trying to stop hell from coming to earth, etc put you on God's side.

>> No.1740526

>>1740471

They didn't play the game. These were old people who don't play games. It's very easy for people who are not exposed to something to get really critical of it. They don't understand it. Why would anyone play something so violent and filled with Satanic imagry? That sort of thing will corrupt our youths.

It's like old people freaking out about comics or "satanic rock" or whatever. Generational differences.

>> No.1740540

>>1740202
That doesn't really answer the question though. I doubt a rape simulator be anywhere as popular, even though you would be raping mindless 3D models.

>> No.1740596

>>1740471
kek

In the Quake manual, in the FAQ section I remember there being a question that went something like, "Are you guys Satan worshipers?" to which id replied a curt, "No."

>> No.1740625

>>1740540
I am not /pol/, not even from the USA. But I think it is impossible to explain the popularity of GTA without black rappers and how they made stuff like pimps or getting rich through crime cool.
GTA is videogame Gangsta rap.

>> No.1740671

I remember there being a small controversy over games like Kingpin and Hitman when I was a kid. One of those nighttime news shows like Dateline or 60 Minutes even ran a piece on how easy it was for children to obtain explicit video games, I'm pretty sure.

>> No.1740761

People freaked out over manhunt.
But by that time cable news had the attention span of a goldfish so it didn't last long.

>> No.1740778

>>1740625
>i am not /pol/
>i am bill orielly

>> No.1740792

>>1740625
You're thinking of Saints Row.

Also you're either lying or full of shit. Crime being glamorized reaches far back to before rap even existed.

>> No.1740806

>>1740625
GTA is a homage to crime movies, or did you play Vice City and miss every fucking Scarface reference?

>> No.1741095

>>1738030
Doom was cool because it wasn't cheesy back in the day along with all the other kid friendly games. It was just THE badass game of the early 90's and THE anti-Mario game. Doom is the game that broke the mold.

Now we have tons of jokes about it that has taken the edge of it. There are people that think Brutal Doom is how the game should have been but it's more likely that they think that Doom should have been like that silly comic instead.

>> No.1741119

>>1740026
Well, the truly Christian thing to do would be turning Satan the other cheek and forgive him but I get the idea that Bible-thumpers was never big on one of the main aspects of their religion.

>> No.1741704

>>1741095

I think Doom is still cool...

>> No.1741736

>>1740806
>implying black rappers aren't into Scarface

>> No.1742232

>>1741704
It is. Now we are just used to it and it's old news.

>> No.1744235
File: 33 KB, 246x350, Night_Trap_Cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1738171
>Night Trap

This. This game was the most unfairly judged of any in the '90s.

Old white men saw a game with REAL WOMEN ON VIDEO having a slumber party and occasionally dying and automatically assumed it to be a snuff film sim. Even for the time the nudity is all but nonexistent if not something that could be outdone by an underwear catalog, and you're actively working to keep anyone who's not a vampire ninja bandit alive.

I lived through all this and I still don't know what it is that made everyone over 40 assume that FMV automatically indicated porn.

>> No.1744245

>>1744235
It certainly wasn't worse than Harvester

>> No.1744318

>>1741736
Don't worry, they are too dumb to get scarface.

>> No.1744373
File: 72 KB, 375x613, postal dude 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Postal and Postal 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4xUYDvlXhQ

I think these games themselves are enough to get them grannies to shake their heads, but the title of the game series is enough to attract the scandal thirsty mainstream media because of the post workers who went crazy, but I guess that's what the devs wanted to happen anyway.

>> No.1744431

>>1744318
>thinking the majority of rappers are dumb

>> No.1744541

>>1744431

They would not be rappers if they would not be dumb, Anon.

>> No.1744608

>>1744541
You should learn how to form sentences that actually make sense before you call others dumb anon

>> No.1744706

>>1744235

>fmv porn

That would've been horrible. And they didn't even go after games like Phantasmagoria, which were definitely skirting the boundaries.

>> No.1744724

>>1744431
not that guy.

maybe rappers are smart, but they definitely promote and sell ignorance which is way worse, since it's contributed to the creation millions of dumb people

also

>black people
>idolizing italians

italians hate black people i don't know any white straight italians that don't refer to blacks as niggers or mulignions.

>> No.1744934

My country banned the following games:

>blood
>bully
>carmageddon
>counter strike
>doom
>duke nukem 3D
>everquest
>some GTA games
>max payne 2
>mortal kombat
>postal

Amount of fucks given by anyone:

>0

>> No.1745202
File: 24 KB, 460x276, Get-Carter-006.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1740625
I don't think there is any hip-hop in the first two games. Gangsterism really doesn't need hip-hop to be glamorous

>> No.1745227

>>1740806
>GTA is a homage to crime movies, or did you play Vice City and miss every fucking Scarface reference?

You don't even need to go to Vice City. GTA1 and London were chock full of references to crime movies. London is especially guilty of this. Hell, one of the cheat codes for the game is literally GETCARTER

>> No.1745228

>>1744373
Those ads for Postal 1 were pretty creepy

Anyone have a scan?

>> No.1745248

>>1744934
At least you can play Manhunt to satiate your bloodlust.

>> No.1745353

>>1744724
>white italians

>> No.1746434

>>1737708
>he thinks silent hill was a cult hit

>> No.1746525

>>1737749

You must be new here I assume?

Seriously, Sterling's entire shtick was/is to write clickbait nonsense to rile morons up, he still does it to, he's a troll that just evolves with the times.

Sad thing is, D-toid used to be a decent site till he got more popular, then it all went to shit, Sterling was more interested in furthering his won career and sank the website as a result, he was fired but his taint is still felt in that place.

And that article makes me realize how old I fucking am, I remember all that violent games hysteria, the newspaper pieces, the stories on tv, hell my local church one handed papers saying not to let their kids play with Pokemon toys cause it was demonic.