[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 40 KB, 640x480, ss-Phantasy_Star-04-6401.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1730757 No.1730757 [Reply] [Original]

This game sported superior graphics, "3D" dungeons, and 3 large overworlds to traverse.

There were even some battle sequences that had background animation such as waves coming in and out.

This game was released only a year and a half after Dragon Warrior in Japan and predated the U.S release of Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy by 1 and 2 years respectively.

Also Phantasy Star thread.

>> No.1730874

>>1730757
I emulated it last year figuring I'd be 25 years too late to enjoy it, but it turned out to be one of the most entertaining RPGs I've ever played.

>> No.1730882

>>1730874
i couldn't kill any floating eyes and got game overed my first battle every time

>> No.1730904

I played the PS2 remake and it's actually worse, they make you talk to key npcs to set dialogue flags so you can talk to other npcs so you can find out which key items you need to advance the plot. If you go into the caves without jumping through all those hoops the key items won't show up. Crap design, I actually knew where to go but still had to resort to a faq to know who I had to talk next. Avoid it.

>> No.1730923

>>1730904
I didn't play it to completion, but the fan retranslation seems really nice. The original's completely playable but there's some stuff that gets lost in translation, like that NPC hinting at where you'll find the road pass.

You miss out on some quality Engrish, though.

>> No.1730928
File: 12 KB, 517x394, 1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1730882
It is interesting in the fact that they put strong enemies like owl bears and fishmen just a stones throw away from town in the beginning of the game. There is no way a level 1 Alis could possibly fight them, but whatever.

>> No.1730987

>>1730757
The enemy animations were incredible. It really bummed me out when I first loaded up Phantasy Star II and saw they had a totally different animation style, I felt like they had less character and uniqueness to them.

>> No.1731007
File: 54 KB, 640x480, GENESIS--Phantasy Star II Evil Overlord_Dec20 8_09_42.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1730987
I know that they could not utilize the Genesis' full graphical power, music and color palette at the time Phantasy Star II was released. But it still puzzles me as to why they didn't have backgrounds pertaining to the area you are in, such as the overworld or dungeon, rather than just a bland, grid.

It's a game that was an improvement over it's Master System predecessor, but not by much. if anything the battle sequence is a step down, for not only missing the detailed backgrounds, but also the background animation.

>> No.1731069

I feel bad because I tried playing the sonic's ultimate collection and couldn't do it. I think playing too many dungeon crawlers where it auto fills the map (etrian odyssey and the like) really made me lazy. I remember playing that game before and having fun filling out the graph paper by hand. After the second dungeon I quit and went to the PS2 remake. And I agree with Anon that complained about needing to talk to NPC to unlock key items. But all in all still a highly enjoyable game. Need to play 2 again which I can actually play on the collection. I've heard really mix things but do you guys think I should play 3 or just skip it and go to 4?

>> No.1731118
File: 148 KB, 768x1000, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1731069
Bad games make us enjoy the good ones even more.

>> No.1731137

>>1731069
Maps aren't even necessary outside of Baya Malay.

>> No.1731143
File: 8 KB, 264x357, cho aniki stage boss.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1731069
3 is an oddity, it plays like a beta of an extremely ambitious game that was disassembled and then assembled by an entirely different team. On drugs. Who were rushing it like there's no tomorrow. (Yes I know it was actually made by a different team, but boy does it show).

It's not a great game by any means, it feels eerily empty, its unique features were very poorly implemented and even the whole generations part wasn't that hot because very few if any characters had much of a personality or anything going for them and the storyline is too surreally incoherent and choppy to follow, so as a result you're basically just choosing the color of your next player character's hair. Battles warrant a special mention for how surreally awful they are, from the droning 3 second-long loop of the battle theme to the eerily ridiculous and cheaply animated sprites. It didn't feel like PS at all to me. All this considered, it's interesting enough of an oddity of gaming to give it a quick play, just don't approach it expecting a PStar game of PStar quality. I'd say leave it until after you beat 4.

>> No.1731307

To me Phantasy Star was always the sci-fi variant of Dragon Quest. For which I loved it.

The MMO approach has its own strong points but they were never to my liking.

>> No.1731635

>>1731143
>Just choosing the next character's hair color.
You know there were story branches depending on which character you chose.