[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 799 KB, 1280x800, cba9ce89-4704-4071-ac0d-da7a3d307.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1711920 No.1711920[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I'm playing Chrono Trigger for the first time. It's really good - though much harder than I'm used to in JRPGs - but I don't see how it's a masterpiece given from the gods. It's just... Good but nothing special, even by 90s standards.

Maybe I need to play more

>> No.1711921

Agreed OP most SNES rpgs are pretty overrated.

>> No.1711927

>>1711920
Fanboys over-hype everything. Chrono Trigger is pretty good though, very worth a playthrough.

>> No.1711930

>>1711920
>much harder than I'm used to in JRPGs
jesus christ

>> No.1711935

>>1711920
The real appreciation comes from replaying it and seeing that it can be done in quite a few different ways, with multiple meaningful endings. I think it was the first RPG to have such diverse paths and endings beyond "good" and "bad" endings.

It's really easy though OP what the hell have you been playing, Final Fantasy?

>> No.1711936

>>1711920
>even by 90s standards.

Says the person not playing it in the 90's

>> No.1712039
File: 11 KB, 300x300, 1399965165060.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

BoF2>CT

>> No.1712049

>>1711930
>>1711936

Couldn't agree more, game came out 20 years ago. It was amazing in 1995.

It's still pretty grat today.

So yeah.

>> No.1712207

>>1711920
>much harder than I'm used to in JRPGs
You've got to be fucking kidding me.

>> No.1712209

>>1711920
Can't say I agree. I played this for the first time about five years ago, even after I heard all of the hype around it, and I was not disappointed. Maybe it was because I played the DS version instead of the SNES original, but everything flowed. It was a great game.

>> No.1712215

How do you find Dragonball Z RPG: the Game - Press A to Win difficult?

And take it from someone who played it in the 90s and did everything there is to do up to and including writing my own FAQ complete with full hand-drawn maps, charm (steal) guide and more: the game is overrated as fuck.

It's meh-tier at best. A total yawnfest for me.

>> No.1712248

>>1711920
It had a lot of promise, but I found it disappointing in the end. Did you mention you're finding the game to be difficult? I never had one game over... I found it to be easier as JRPGs go. My biggest complaint was how barren the overworld is. Also, no random encounters on the overworld. I know random encounters isn't how this game rolls, but maybe just the overworld would have been cool.

>> No.1712291

>>1712215
Of all the things to brag about.

Though, in a sense, I agree. "Difficult" is the last word I'd use to describe CT.

>> No.1712297
File: 22 KB, 340x250, 1388101773761.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1712248
>Wanting random encounters.
Fucking. Cancer.

>> No.1712313

>>1712297
CT had something far worse than random encounters. Forced encounters. As in you can't walk past certain points without triggering automatic encounters, some of which are inescapable, such as the ones in the Black Omen.
Try walking to and from the Gate and the area entrance in Mystic Mountain without triggering an encounter. You can't. And that's just one of many.

>> No.1712315

>>1712215

>i played it for hundreds of hours, charmed every monster in the game, hand drew every map and wrote several guides

>now it is boring

>> No.1712326

>>1712315
I knew someone was gonna say something like that. To be honest, I found it boring as I played it, too. I'm a staunch completionist, so I had to do that. I did the same for all other SNES and SMD/Genesis jRPGs I played.
Believe it or not: yes, I did have friends.

>> No.1712428

>>1712315
Tch, I played through Contra and counted every bullet it took to kill EVERYTHING IN THE GAME. Alas, that was over twenty-five years ago, so the information is lost.

>> No.1712461

>>1711920
>chrono trigger
>hard
Besides like the VERY rare hard boss the game is fair and pretty easy, you never once need to grind.
Is this like your first RPG? Serously, its one of the easiest JRPGs ever.

>> No.1712465

>>1711920
>but I don't see how it's a masterpiece given from the gods
Play through the whole thing.

No masterpiece is immediately obvious from just a couple of pages, stanzas or measures. All you can say for a while is that it's pretty nice. Then, when it all comes together, you finally see why it's considered so good.

In the end, you may agree or disagree that the whole thing is actually worth it's while, but you can't tell whether it's great or just good from just a couple of parts. You need to see it whole. Of course, this has nothing to do with works that are outright bad, those are quite obvious from the very beginning.

>> No.1712469

It's one of the best games ever made. So of course you're going to have these contrarion faggots who claim that they don't think it's that good. Because they have unique taste and don't follow the herd at all ever, because that's all that the universal acclaim for Chrono Trigger is afterall, group-think. Stupid sheeple, LOL.

>> No.1712470

>>1712326
>I'm a staunch completionist
I.e., you've signs of a mental illness. Your perception of things may be very different from healthy persons'.

>> No.1712473

>>1711935

Pokemon, Mother, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Summon Night, blah. I'm more into PS1 and later jrpgs.

I'm not used to the mechanics. I think I put it on manual and the opponents still move. Plus without a guide knowing where to go sometimes is confusing

>> No.1712474

>>1711935
>The real appreciation comes from replaying it
Bullshit. The game is exactly the same every time. The real appreciation comes from experiencing the adventure for the first time, with every consecutive playthrough being a progressively lesser experience indeed.

>> No.1712492

IMO, the game becomes better with every new time period.

The future blew my mind. The second visit to 600AD is the shit epics are made of. Prehistoric era is funny as hell. And just when you think you've seen everything the game has to offer: THE KINGDOM OF FUCKING ZEAL.

The game truly gets awesome right in the middle, when you're trying to take down Magus.

>> No.1712494

Lunar is way better honestly. That shit blew my mind and that was only 5 or 6 years ago with the PSP version; I've played the original since but not the PS1

>> No.1712495

>>1712326

>i played it for hundreds of hours and hated every minute of it, thats how i know

do you even listen to yourself

>> No.1712502

>>1712313
But with CT, when you revisit an area you'll know how many encounters you'll have to deal with.

It would have been nice if they added Earthbound's system of auto-killing enemies you are obviously stronger than, though.

>> No.1712521

It's easily one of the most overrated retro games ever. The characters are cute and the world is interesting, but the story has a lot of really dull points and overall isn't that good, and the gameplay itself is so piss-easy that it actually detracts from it.

>> No.1712673

>>1711935
>The real appreciation comes from replaying it and seeing that it can be done in quite a few different ways

>>1712474 is right. This is just bull. The game is always the same, choosing the order of the sidequests is not the same as giving you multiple story paths.

>with multiple meaningful endings
Also bull. There are five joke endings, "lol marle's a frog" or "Kino walks like a duck" is in no way meaningful. Two endings are just credits with random sprites on the screen. Three endings show you alternate outcomes, which are mostly the same as in the regular story so they're more about the cool factor than anything else. One shows random scenes from the main plot, and the other one is the canon ending. "Meaningful" amounts to three of these. Breath of Fire II was doing the same thing as >>1712039 points out.

>I think it was the first RPG to have such diverse paths
Which diverse paths? Beyond getting early endings, you can't deviate a single thing from the main story.

>endings beyond "good" and "bad" endings.
That's all there is. One bad ending, three good endings, lots of joke montages and a pat in the back for beating the final boss before you're supposed to. There's no meaning to it, it's just silly and cool.

Play Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, that's diverse path progression with tons of endings that are influenced by multiple requirements other than at which point of the preset plot you kill the final boss and whether or not you got all characters.

>> No.1712691

It was special when it came out. The way it did battles being more cinematic and fucking awesome instead of being flashy random encounters all the time was great. Plus, it's just generally more cinematic (back then games being more cinematic wasn't a bad thing, unlike 2014 where cinematic = intractable movie) than a lot of games. And don't even get me started on the soundtrack.

>> No.1712883

>>1712470
Entirely possible. Supposedly, most people in my field and related careers have some mild OCD and/or spectrum issues.
I've never been diagnosed with either, but it wouldn't surprise me, to be honest!

>> No.1712886

>>1712495
>meh = hate
do you even listen to yourself

>> No.1713060

>>1711920
> I don't see why it's considered a masterpiece...

1. It was the first mainstream RPG to break the mold of random encounters. While there are some forced encounters, they aren't so frequent that it slows down the game significantly.

1a. No need to grind for hours to beat the game.

2. Manipulating the world through time travel added a layer of depth that RPGs up to that point didn't have.

3. Ability to play a NewGame+ and obtain 12 different endings.

4. Dual/Triple techs to use in battle.

5. An interesting story by most people's standards.

6. Reasonably challenging on the first playthrough for people who weren't hardcore RPG fans at the time.

All in all, it's a very solid JRPG that holds up to today. You just don't realize the little things that it did 'first' as a mainstream RPG because you're playing the game in 2014 (and I only say that mainstream qualification because I'm sure some super RPG fan will point to some obscure game that did what CT did a bit earlier).

>> No.1713138

>>1713060
Most of this is wrong.

>1. It was the first mainstream RPG to break the mold of random encounters. While there are some forced encounters, they aren't so frequent that it slows down the game significantly.
It's like Mystic Quest never existed!

>1a. No need to grind for hours to beat the game.
It's like Mystic Quest never existed!

>2. Manipulating the world through time travel added a layer of depth that RPGs up to that point didn't have.
No it didn't. It added the illusion of nonlinearity to morons.

>3. Ability to play a NewGame+ and obtain 12 different endings.
Ah, you're a young'un. The original had ELEVEN endings. Come back when you grew up in the 90s and played it on an original SNES. Oh? What's that? Time travel isn't real and you can't possibly do that? Hrm... tough break, kiddo.

>4. Dual/Triple techs to use in battle.
Entirely useless.

>5. An interesting story by most people's standards.

It's like the Cthulhu mythos never existed!

>6. Reasonably challenging on the first playthrough for people who weren't hardcore RPG fans at the time.
Press A to Win: the Game is not difficult.

>All in all, it's a very solid JRPG that holds up to today. You just don't realize the little things that it did 'first' as a mainstream RPG because you're playing the game in 2014 (and I only say that mainstream qualification because I'm sure some super RPG fan will point to some obscure game that did what CT did a bit earlier).
Mystic Quest is obscure now?

I thought you were supposed be over 18 to use 4chan, son.

>> No.1713542

>>1713138
Yea, Mystic Quest is so mainstream I've never heard of it before.

>> No.1713856
File: 40 KB, 394x500, Fan-art-Rydia-N-5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1713138
As someone who knows lots of plebs, yes.
Mystic Quest is obscure. Especially for people born in the 90s.

Most common JRPGs on SNES they know is picture related, FF6 (most haven't played 5) and if you want to count it, LttP.

Out of the three FFs, I'd say CT is def best of the lot.

>> No.1714019

>>1711920
You've got it right. Chrono Trigger is a perfectly fine game, but nothing amazing.

>> No.1714029

>>1712502
>revisiting an area in Chrono Trigger

Kek. For what?

>> No.1714032

>>1714029
Uh, the game makes you do so if you want to progress.

>> No.1714058

>Mystic Quest is obscure
What? Protip: "obscure" does not mean "less critically acclaimed that Chrono Trigger"

>> No.1714109

>>1713138
>Mystic Quest sucked and you suck for reminding me that fucking game existed. Also Mystic Quest didn't have seamless battle transitions as well as animated battles.
>Chrono Trigger did have 12 endings. Have you never beat the game without climbing Death Mt?
>There was a lot of subtle changes in the world you'd notice in repeat plays, like beating the game without climbing Death Mt., The trial, what happens at the end if you kill Magus with Frog, ect.
>Even if Dual/Triple techs became pretty useless later on so what? It still was a neat idea. I mean Mystic Quest was a useless game and yet you still find the need keep bringing it up.
>Cthulu mythos... It's like the Kraken legend never existed!
>Talk shit for Chrono Trigger being too easy? It's like Mystic Quest never existed!

Aside from the lack of random encounters Mystic Quest had nothing in common with Chrono Trigger.

>> No.1714520
File: 122 KB, 421x600, 44173521_m.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Mystic Quest was not obscure, you fags.
For many of us who were born in the early 90s it was our first rpg.
Anyway, there's no reason to compare it to CT. CT wasn't great because you could see the enemies before battle or because it was easy. To me, CT was just engaging and fun, the techs, it knew when to take itself seriously and when not to. Characters and locations were great (there was plenty of character development and it just felt more relatable than FF's edginess, also, it had girls that weren't annoying and useless, all those different eras and their overworlds were fucking sweet, of course DQ and FF did it before, but it wasn't as well executed as CT).

>> No.1717598

>>1712313
Shit nigga run then.