[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 77 KB, 425x600, Garage Bad Dream Adventure Cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1702856 No.1702856 [Reply] [Original]

So I recently found out /vr/ finally obtained it's holy grail and leaked it onto the internet for all to enjoy. Interested in it, I decided to watch the complete walk through only to be dismayed at the lack of English patch for it and the incredibly repetitive gameplay in the beginning.

Anyway, I'm completely captured by whatever bizarre setting and plot that was happening in the game. From what I could gather you're some sort of gas powered robot in a wooden shanty town full of other robots who run lucrative businesses fishing up weird crabs and selling Flog Oil from the robo-tits of other robots. The main character bot fucks around with other robots and get's them to do stuff like kill themselves with oil, intrudes on two robots fucking and has weird robot sex with another robot that kills him.

You're seemingly doing quests for this glass tube Woman in the image who is the most "normal" out of 4 weird test tube women who are either deformed or rotting.

At the end these girls disappear from their life-support boxes and you go into a deep cavern to find some weird bald Asian kid who says some moonrunes before ending the game

Having not the ability to read moonrunes I simply want to know what was going on, a plot summary if you will.

I mainly want to know what the story is behind the tube waifus

the full-game walkthrough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHc_z6DjAxE [Embed]

>> No.1702974

Since it hasn't been translated yet, unlike Tenchu, and I don't think anyone actually has the working copy here considering the only sale I saw was some 500$ ebay garbage no one wanted to buy, i don't think you'll get any clear answers.

I still can't believe Tenchu was just in some dudes attic, bless you anon

>> No.1703008

>>1702856
download link pls

>> No.1703051

>>1703008
http://lostmedia.wikia.com/wiki/Garage:_Bad_Dream_Adventure_(Limited_Release_1999_Japanese_Point-and-Click_Game)

>> No.1703053

>>1703051
Download there is dead.

>> No.1703057

>>1703053
www.hardcoregaming101.net/garage/garage.7z

>> No.1703063

>>1703057
Thank you, I appreciate it.

>> No.1703592
File: 39 KB, 640x345, LED penthouse.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1702974

Well it's been ripped on the internet since one of you guys got it at an auction some time in march. I figured at least some of you got the game and played it.

but it's only been 3 months so maybe I've overestimated the amount of people who can actually speak Japanese that have beaten the game.

Either way, it looks like a seems fun micro-managing horror show with an interesting setting. It's too bad no one has made an English patch.

>> No.1703621

Alright, I just downloaded it. Now I will learn to mount a drive. :S (retro gamers aren't always good with computers)

>> No.1704024

>>1703621
Update: I still can't mount my freaking drive.

>> No.1704045

>>1704024
Try using a Mac emulator like SheepShaver. I find it much easier to configure, and since the game runs on both PC and Mac, you won't have much trouble running it.

>> No.1704126

So when can we expect the inevitable HG101 article on it? I'm pretty sure most of the site contributors are /vr/ troopers Davey I'm looking at you!, maybe even Kalata himself.

>> No.1704175

>>1702856
>>1702974
>>1703592
If I remember it was shown a while back that unlike Chu-Teng, the data files for this game are encrypted. While the text and other assets for the game can apparently be extracted, the code cannot so the game would essentially need to be remade for it to be translated into any language.

Though again this is just from what I remember, I dunno if there's been any updates on it since then.

>> No.1704220

>>1704175

Even so, someone should at least write up a translated reference guide or something.

>> No.1704238

>>1703621
>Now I will learn to mount a drive. :S (retro gamers aren't always good with computers)

Congratulations, that hurt to read

>> No.1704314
File: 76 KB, 638x476, 1372526056687.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1702974
Garage-san has spent 800$ on yahoo auction.

>> No.1704426

Moon interpreter anon from the /v/ thread.

I'm giving this game my consideration, but it seems like a huge investment. Besides having a lot of text, the amount of signs and text on the pre-rendered backgrounds seems unfeasible to manage without a decent-sized team. And that's assuming all of the game's assets can be easily accessed and modified, which from what I'm reading in this thread is not the case.

I'm wondering if there isn't some easier way to do this that you guys would prefer. Perhaps a captioned playthrough video, or one of those old-fashioned static image "walkthrough" pages with all of the dialogue and stuff translated.

Even if a few people are willing to get a project going, I've still got a current translation in progress that needs to be finished. /vr/ threads last awhile though, so I'll monitor and see what kind of response we get.

>> No.1704452

>>1704426
You can do it bro

>> No.1704478

>>1704426

Do a walkthrough style thing

>> No.1704573

>>1702974
>Tenchu
Can I get a link to Tenchu?

>> No.1704576

>>1704573
I meant Chu-teng, I was tired when I wrote that. I don't have the link anymore and not even sure if I downloaded it since I was waiting for the translators to finish it up while all the other people tried figuring out the fireball and door password which I guess they figured out?

>>1704426
If the time investment isn't bad, the captioned playthrough sounds neat if you're not shit at video games, otherwise the static walkthrough would be the best.

>> No.1704582

>>1704576
Damn, at least I get to play Garage. I remember seeing it months back when anons were still trying to win an auction or something, surprised the thread is still here

>> No.1705770 [SPOILER] 
File: 697 KB, 640x1476, 1403378866722.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ok, so I watched the whole thing last night. It's a comfy game to watch, actually. The guy playing it knew what he was doing and it takes him nearly 5 hours to complete it. There are about 100 or so panels and you do a lot, a lot of back tracking. The best part of it it's how it looks and sounds. It looks like a mix of a very depressed Jim Henson, catfish heads and shots from Kowloon Walled City. There is only one tune in the entire game but it's nice and adds to the mood. The box art is also pretty cool, as you can see.

Now, about the plot. After 5 hours I have little idea what's going on. I mean, as OP wrote it, the protagonist is a half robot half catfish abomination (like nearly all the characters in this) running around an underground shanty town (in the future?) collecting stuff, mostly stamps, pressing buttons and helping other robot-catfish abominations. There is some dialogue but it rarely consists of more than 15 or 20 words, Most likely they are talking about what you need to do next.

Plot-wise, there are two moments where it seems stuff is explained. 2/3 in the game and you finally get to the edge of post apoc shanty town. There, you get to read a letter or something. Pic related. This is the only wall of text in the whole game and it seems to explain what's going on. I'm doing this post, hoping a kind anon will translate it for us.

The second time where there are text apparently devoted to develop plot, is near the end of the game. Right where you begin, there is a locked box. After 4 hours you finally get to see what's inside and lo and behold, it's another letter. Pic related. If a kind someone translates this I'm sure we can figure it out what's going on with this game.

>> No.1705772 [SPOILER] 
File: 276 KB, 738x880, 1403378944952.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1705770
>the second time where there are text apparently devoted to develop plot, is near the end of the game. Right where you begin, there is a locked box. After 4 hours you finally get to see what's inside and lo and behold,

Pic related.

>> No.1706032

>>1705770
>>1705772
Translator-anon here. You'll notice the player has a whole inventory full of letters like these, he just doesn't show most of them. The captures aren't clear enough for me to work with, but I'm going to see what I can extract from the game itself.

It looks like this was made with Macromedia Director 6, so like >>1704175 said I believe most assets besides the Lingo scripting can be accessed. I'll try to get at whatever might be hiding text/scripts, but if anyone wants to help out I'd appreciate it.

>> No.1706234

Here's what I remember from watching the playthrough:

The green girls and the guy you encounter at the end of the game are "Shadows". They are counterparts of the machine-creature things. Sort of like souls, I guess. And they seem to be a connection to another world (the real world?). The three deformed ones are the Shadows of the three female machines you can fuel up from in the gas station. The normal-looking one, Psyche, is the Shadow of Juice, the female machine you encounter toward the end of the game who was remodeled into a fuel and water production plant. The Shadow you meet at the end of the game is your own, as is the shriveled-looking guy you find while boating about under the scaffolding.

The crux of the plot seems to be that long ago in this world there was a particularly nasty machine creature called Yan. He murdered female machines with a music box equipped with a special resonance plate. Eventually he went on to destroying Shadows, and even made their destruction a public spectacle at the Shinsekai Theater. Eventually he kills so many female machines that the world's water, an important resource that is produced by female machines, starts to decrease. So Juice is remodeled into a production plant, and a water gate is built to keep water around the town.

Eventually Yan loses his memory and seemingly splits into two beings. Shen and the player. During the course of the game you learn about this, and confront him. He seems to have come to the same realization and returned to his old evil self. You use the same resonant music box against him, and start a battle of endurance. How much ID meter you have at that point determines who gives in and dies first. After you kill him, you lower the water gate, draining all the precious water away form this world, essentially dooming all of its inhabitants. But in doing you, you gain access to the old tunnels, in which your Shadow is waiting for you to take you back the the real world.

>> No.1706302

>>1706032
Here you go, I remember this one from a previous Garage thread, some previous anon went an dumped the assets
https://mega.co.nz/#!SYol0JZY!AA4_YCf-j9J7E1L1mxJm93BDYztvV9AqAQQ5GMmgJ80

>> No.1706308

>>1706302
Thanks anon.

>>1706234
This sounds about right, most of the backstory about Yan and the Shadows seems to be explained here >>1705770

>> No.1706348

This is my old Thread, im sure you're interested

http://4archive.org/vr/res/1434726

>> No.1706506

I dunno if it's been posted in a Garage thread before, but I found a patch for Director programs/games that fixes that 3MB error. Could be helpful for working on that TL guide I think.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/acca0blw7tlr3gc/

>> No.1707373
File: 6 KB, 217x232, 1373981837313[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1703621
>(retro gamers aren't always good with computers)