[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 125 KB, 800x599, Unbenannt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1692170 No.1692170 [Reply] [Original]

So, I'm currently playing Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 and pretty much steamrolled right through to Meduna.
I've conquered Drassen, Alma, Tixa, Estoni and Orta along with two SAM bases, but didn't care to liberate the other places.

I entered my the outskirts of Meduna and was greeted by three tanks.
I've only encountered foot troops so far and was only able to destroy 2 of them with the LAWs and rocket rifles I've found in Orta.
With the third one I got lucky and was able to blow it up with explosives.

But now I'm almost completely without explosives.
How the hell am I supposed to take Meduna if it's crowded with tanks?

Do I just order as many rocket launchers and explosves from Bobby Ray's as I can afford or what?

Well, anyways ....

JAGGED ALLIANCE THREAD

>> No.1692245

>Do I just order as many rocket launchers and explosves from Bobby Ray's as I can afford or what?
That's what I did. You can send packages to Meduna airport to shorten the supply lines.
I got so many rockets that I started using them to demolish the palace during my final assault.
I liked using mortars against tanks because they're easy to pinpoint and you don't expose yourself.

>> No.1692259

>>1692245
Mortars are okay, I guess, but I'd rather save them for groups of foot soldiers.
Tanks take as much as 3 or 4 mortar shells and they're kinda rare.

You can actually get as close as 10 squares or so at night without tanks being able to spot you if you got decent camouflage.
That's how I was able to plant a bomb, but it's a wonky tactic as you can't really place them inside the sandbag barricades well or plant them on tanks.

I just read that there's an armoury somewhere near Meduna with a bnch of LAWs,
so I guess I gotta look for that.

>> No.1692639

Couldn't you simply sneak past them to the next area?

>> No.1692776
File: 1023 KB, 265x260, the absence of fun.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I know for a fact one the surrounding sectors around Meduna is sort of an enemy checkpoint with a warehouse filled to the brim with LAWs and shit. Unfortunately I don't remember the actual sector, but it's worth scouting out.

Grumm (you know, that city you didn't bother to liberate) has a factory/warehouse sector that has a generous amount of LAWs and explosives in it IIRC.

Since it sounds like you only conquered like 2 of the 6 main towns so far, the enemy's gear will for the most part still be mid-tier (assault rifles and such). 1.13 likes to implement enemy 'coolness' progression, meaning the more grunts you kill the better hardware they'll employ against you. I know that by the time I entered Meduna I was drowning in explosives and RPGs.

>> No.1692912

>>1692776
>I know for a fact one the surrounding sectors around Meduna is sort of an enemy checkpoint with a warehouse filled to the brim with LAWs and shit. Unfortunately I don't remember the actual sector, but it's worth scouting out.

I never found it myself because I went a straight line from Grumm to Meduna my first (and only so far) playthrough. But reading FAQs, wikis and whatnot it appears the sector you're referring to is the one directly to the right of the 3 northern sectors of Meduna. Either that or the next one to the right, on the road to Balime.

>> No.1692932

There are also one or several military warehouses at secret locations.

>> No.1692957

I played this when I was younger and I love the genre, but I'm pretty bad at them.

How accessible is JA2? Also is there a definitive mod that updates and fixes the game?

Is there multiplayer or coop?

>> No.1693092

>>1692957
>How accessible is JA2?
Pretty accessible
>Also is there a definitive mod that updates and fixes the game?
1.13. It adds/tweaks/rebalances a ton of things, all of which are customizable. There's even a Vanilla settings profile if you like the original style of JA2 more.

>> No.1693403

>>1692170
With all those territories, you should probably have a good amount of excess income. Either just buy LAWs for everyone in the squad, or make 1-2 RPG teams. Have one guy in the team with high explosive skill carry the RPG, and another guy carry the warheads for him. With light weapons like SMGs for backups, my RPG teams can have 4-6 excess rounds on them depending on carrying weight.

>> No.1694195

Can the game be beat James Bond / Agent 47 from Hitman-style? With just a guy with a silenced pistol?

>> No.1694213

>>1694195
I don't think you can get silenced pistols, at least not in the beginning.
The game can be soloed for most part.

>> No.1694223
File: 3 KB, 300x57, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1694213
you can get a silenced pistol/SMG, even in vanilla JA2
just make an IMP that's stealthy

>> No.1694261

>>1694195
I'd so no. At least not without an excessive amount of reloading.
You often get swarmed by groups of enemies and simply can't carry all the gear you need with just one guy.

>>1694213
Like the other anon said, you get a pistol silencer right at the beginning if you make an IMP with the stealthy trait.
Also there are a few AIM mercs that have a silencer in one of their gear sets.

>> No.1694290

>>1694261
If you use stealth and cover you can manage. I'd generally recommend switching to rifles as soon as they become available.
A backup group of non-combatants may stretch the requirements but may be necessary to cover all the shit you'll need.

>> No.1694293

>>1694195
With 1.13 you can: http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/309312/New_feature:_Covert_operations
>This new game mechanic allows you to disguise your mercs. They can disguise as civilians or soldiers. They will then not be detected by the enemy, as long as they do not raise suspicion.

>> No.1694827

ok, /vr/ jagged alliance wildfire is on steam for a buck. should I?