[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 31 KB, 677x424, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1686623 No.1686623[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Alright /vr/oomers, newfriend here. I wanna play baldur's gate but have never done any dnd/old style RPG before. any advice?
pic unrelated but retro

>> No.1686632

read the manual, I guess?
what exactly do you want to know?
It's a video game and not that old or complex, just go play it!

>> No.1686656

>>1686632
ok then. what class/loadout would you recommend to beginners?

>> No.1686669

>>1686656
Sorcerer was pretty balling the first time I played. You get fewer spells, but you can spam them. Insane late game potential, very entertaining. All you need to know is what spells to pick, but it's pretty easy to guess, which ones are the best.

Monk is extremely overpowered as well. Becomes a god later on. Does not rely on items just as much as sorcerer.

>> No.1686676

>>1686669
sweet

>> No.1686695
File: 30 KB, 500x500, 1299709231885201.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pick wild mage, it is immensly fun to play. At first you wont be very useful but thats why you have your party. However later on you become really strong. Wild mage is fun because of random spells. I once tried to cast something basic like magic missile and ended up summoning the demon, he then proceeded to kill every enemy in the area then disappeared.

>> No.1686705

>>1686695
But not for a beginner.

Nice and cozy, overpowered characters work best in such a case.

>> No.1686748

My recommendations for BG1 beginners:

Fighter
Cleric
Ranger
Any combination thereof (non-human races can multi-class. I like Cleric/Ranger)

If you have BG:EE or the trilogy mod:

Barbarian
any Fighter or Cleric kit
Shapeshifter
Inquisitor (Paladin kit)

Thief and its kits are viable for beginners but BG1 just has so many Thieves it's kind of redundant.

>>1686669
I can't imagine Monk being viable in BG1. Do your fists even hit +1 in BG1's level range? Not that you need magical weapons in most fights, but still, your AC is ass until higher levels as well.

>> No.1686757

>>1686748
thanks trip

>> No.1686768

>>1686705
I played that on my first go. Then again it wasn't my first DnD game, I played IWD, NWN, PS:T, ToEE before that.

>> No.1686802

It's 2e D&D, so you have the traditional magic user power curve where you die to housecats at level 1 and rule the universe at level 20. Fighter start out great but get left behind as you gain levels. If you're planning on carrying your character to BG2, a wizard will be ultimately best, but clerics are pretty good too and much better at low level.

>> No.1686938

>>1686623
Quick side question, does that picture exist in wallpaper resolution?

>> No.1687395

>>1686938
This was the only one I could find when I was on a quake binge.
its from 2004. sorry.

>> No.1687609

>>1686748
I'd say don't make a single-classed Cleric because they're inferior to multiclasses, it's better to make a multiclass like Fighter/Cleric for more HP and better fighting (Clerics are fighters in AD&D) or Cleric/Thief (heavily underrated in BG1 due to Staff of Striking, a great utility toolbox as well).

For a beginner playthrough, just play any of the fighter types. Straight up Fighter or Paladin is your best bet. Play a good-aligned team, it's easier. Abuse rerolling in character creator.

You don't want to dual class as your first character, so play a non-human race, they're better in minor ways, especially small races -- Gnomes are really good mages, Dwarfs are the best Fighters (they have huge saving throw bonuses and CON; Dwarf Fighter or Dwarf Fighter/Cleric is the best tank in the game by far), elves are great at shooting people (shooting people is what you'll do through 90% of BG1 since bows and slings are overpowered). Halflings make for great Thieves, but there's plenty of those in BG1 (Fighter/Thief is a very good class tho). Only play Human if you want to be a Paladin (who is strong, especially in BG2) IMHO.

>> No.1687620

>>1686938
It's simple enough, you could vector it and scale it up to wallpaper size.

>> No.1687659 [DELETED] 

>>1687609
A multi-classed Fighter/Cleric doesn't really have more HP than a pure Cleric.

A Fighter/Cleric with 16 Con has on average 45.5 HP with level 7/7 (BG1 TotSC cap).
A pure Cleric with 16 Con has on average 44 HP with level 8 (BG1 TotSC cap).

I would say the caster level is worth more than the 1.5 HP.

>> No.1687671

>>1687609
A multi-classed Fighter/Cleric has less HP than a pure Cleric.

A Fighter/Cleric with 16 Con has on average 49 HP with level 7/7 (BG1 TotSC cap).
A pure Cleric with 16 Con has on average 52 HP with level 8 (BG1 TotSC cap).

>> No.1687695

>>1687671
A Fighter/Cleric with 18 Con would have more HP.

>> No.1687703

>>1687695
You literally have a 1/216 chance to roll a 18 with a 3d6

>> No.1687709 [DELETED] 

>>1687703
Uhh BG's character creator let's you redistribute stat points however you want.

>> No.1687716

>>1687703
Uhh BG's character creator lets you redistribute stat points however you want.

>> No.1687761

>>1687703
>>1687716
And there are CON potions and the CON grimoire, if you actually go a Dwarf F/C with 19 CON and get 20 CON you get more HP and an useful regen.

Though I honestly wasn't aware that a pure Cleric given those circumstances would have more HP. I still think Fighter/Cleric is more flexible, since he can actually hit stuff and in BG2 he's definitely better.

>> No.1687797

>>1687761
Oh, also Fighters can chug fighter-only strength potions (though that's negligible for high level Clerics due to Draw Upon Holy Might) and the weapon specialization is nice.

If you don't want to reroll a lot, it's still easy to make choices regarding stat sacrifices. Dexterity gloves (though Ajantis would probably want them too), for instance.

>> No.1687925

>>1687797
>weapon specialization
>Multi-classed
Pick one

>> No.1687951

>>1687925
Cleric can put * in a weapon. Fighter/Cleric can go **. That's weapon specialization - +1 Trak0, +2 damage, +1/2 attack (very good when combo'd with haste sources). Later are Mastery (***), True Mastery (****) and Grandmastery (*****). Masteries are bugged in raw BG2 without the FixPack and there's no real point to going beyond ** in any weapon; the returns are very small and a Grandmaster doesn't get a bonus attack as he should.

So yeah, I'll pick both, thank you very much, m'lady :^) *tips Ioun stone*

>> No.1688012

>>1687951
And even if you have fixpacks, the last three stars of weapon proficiency are not nearly as vital as the first two.

>*tips Ioun stone*
OK, that was pretty funny.

>> No.1688417

Created Human Paladin. abused the reroll to get 92 total, put weapon specialization into great sword and two handed weapons.
How bad did I screw up?
Also plan on playing baldurs gate 2: electric boogaloo after I beat BG:1

>> No.1688425
File: 2 KB, 127x130, leetmode.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how about we multiplayer game started for one of these bg1/2 icewind dale1/2 anyone in?

>> No.1688428

>>1688425
I'm in for IWD, not so much for BG since i haven't finished it. IWD is better choice because of combat orientation and linearity.

>> No.1688430

>>1688417
>great sword and two handed weapons
Weren't those the same weapon proficiency in BG1?

>> No.1688432

>>1688425
>>1688428
ok everyone intrested can email me
asslnaff@gmail.com to safe us countless ass pain we shoud use the gog version

>> No.1688454

>>1688430
I'm assuming he's playing BG1EE or one of the mods that does BG2-in-BG1 mechanics like TuTurutututu or BaGueTte.

Great swords are good, but you really should have specialized in a ranged weapon as well, since due to certain reasons BG1 is absolutely dominated by ranged weapons until you find a magic melee weapon (and even then, ranged weapons are still extremely strong). Still, Greatswords are perfectly fine and will serve you well throughout the entire saga. BG2 has a much larger selection of two-handers (including some very fine Halberds) and a wonderful Paladin-only greatsword.

You should be able to have a blast.

Protip (not sure if it works in BG1EE though): Protection from Evil stacks on itself in raw BG1, which means that a Paladin selfcasting that spell (and every Paladin has PoE) on himself can quickly become the strongest tank of his team.

And if you'd like to recruit a fellow paladin and an extremely strong NPC to your cause, then the location north of Friendly Arm Inn has Ajantis the paladin. Another worthy NPC is Kivan in the High Hedge location to the south-east of Candlekeep; he's a cool mofo and is very proficient with a bow, which, as mentioned, is very strong. Aside from that, remember to have at least one cleric, mage and thief, since the utility is going to make everything more comfortable.

>> No.1688461

Is the original with mods or Enhanced Edition better for a first playthrough?

>> No.1688491

>>1688461
Original without mods is best because it lets you fill the entire map with summoned skeletons.

>> No.1688507

>>1686623
I only ever got through part of the first game (with Tales of the Sword Coast expansion). As for D&D, remember that you can compensate for the limitations of your character through party choice.

Skill balance is not your friend. If someone does something well, focus on making him do that staggeringly well. If you have two or more characters with a thief class, put their points in different skills (box man, trap detector, sneak). There are items that increase the stealth skill, so you might want to skimp there, although it's functionally invisibility.

Oil of Burning (I think that's what it's called) is not for drinking.

Algernon's Cloak is a game-breaker item. Infinite charm spells that work on monsters and animals as well as humanoids. You can co-opt enemies into a meat-shield army, but I just like their responses. Xvarts call you "humanoid scuz-sucker" in a voice that would later be re-used as the one bug alien from Ben 10. Keep an ear out for other NPCs with famous voice actors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqFlxxodglM
Unrelated, but awesome.

>> No.1688625

>>1688461
I got enhanced edition because I have no idea what the heck I am doing.