[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 77 KB, 393x269, Secret_of_Mana_Box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1679716 No.1679716[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hey /vr/

I was planning on playing this game with my roommates, because we all liked the sound of a multiplayer RPG. But reading into it, it sounds like you don't get your 2nd party member until some distance into the game, and then the 3rd party member even later.

So my question is, should my roommates just watch me play until they can join in? Or should I just play this on my own until I get to point where they can join, then explain the story to them? Can people who have done this game multiplayer share their experiences?

>> No.1679721

Depends if there's enough beer or other stuff to keep them entertained while you do it. It's probably only 30 min in for both characters if you know what you're doing, but if you're new and without a map it might take you 2 hours.

>> No.1679747

Just trade off if they're getting bored until you unlock GIRL and SPRITE. You appreciate having them more if you earn them.

>> No.1679752

There's a route you can do to get the girl earlier. Unfortunately i don't remember how.

>> No.1679846

>>1679716
Me and my buddy started this game about a month ago, we only play one day a week so it doesn't get stale but I literally sat there for about 30-40 minutes until we got Primm. So it doesn't honestly take all that long.

Don't remember how long it took to get Sprite but it wasn't too much longer until we got him. It's worth the wait to get all 3 characters because the game is fun as hell.

It's also definitely better to have 3 players. The computer controlled character is retarded. It'll get stuck on walls, fight enemies you don't want/need to fight and just be all around annoying.

I'd say let them watch you until you get Primm and then they can pass back and forth for battles/bosses until you get Sprite.

>> No.1680194

i played this only the other day for the first time blind and i think it only took me like an hour tops before i had all 3 party members. if you look up a guide im sure you can get there faster if i did it in an hour accidentally.

>> No.1680216

>>1679716
Now that you have access to SD3 there is NO reason to multiplayer this shite.

>> No.1680782

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll probably just have everyone there from the start.

>>1680216
Shouldn't I play Secret of Mana before SD3?

>> No.1680805

>>1680216
>i like SoM more than SD3

>> No.1680806

>>1680782
story isn't connected. sort of like final fantasy

also there is a 2 player patch for secret of evermore.

>> No.1680854

>>1680805
>>1680782
>>1680216

SD3 is definitely more... MP friendly then SoM for a regular game. The hitboxes are better, the melee characters are better (Kevin/Hawk especially) SoM was a magic-spam fest and unless you have Angela SD3 is more melee based. SoM being magic spam makes it annoying to co-op because while you're trying to mvoe around and fight enemies/a boss you end up getting this jarring pauses constantly to cast spells. Its similar with SD3 in some regards but its much less frequent.

>> No.1681369

>>1680854
Yeah I tried playing SoM with a friend a few years ago and I always hated pausing the game all the time to use items and spells. It's not a great multiplayer experience imo, except that it makes the game a bit easier since the AI isn't very good.

>> No.1683113

>>1680782
SD3 is set like a millennium before the events of Secret of Mana

>> No.1683148

>>1679716
Realistically there are 2 options for playing SoM with friends co-op...

>You play together from the beginning, and either take turns or they just chill to get their characters, it only takes about 30 mintues if you know where to go/get lucky and get the Girl early via the Goblin scene.
I actually still don't know what triggers the early Girl to this day.

>You play until you get the girl and sprite and then when they come over they resume from there.

There isn't a whole lot of game their missing, and it lets everyone jump in.