[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 551 KB, 900x679, MARIOSGONE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1673824 No.1673824[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

heyo
this place seemed appropriate for my question
so I put some Virtual Console wads on my Wii which I hooked up to an hdtv some time ago, and on VC games that I'd never played before, something just seemed off
then, on Super Mario World, I couldn't help but think that there's just a slight slight slight delay in the controls, maybe only like the most split of seconds, but just enough to make it feel weird, maybe the refresh was slightly slower than optimal, I couldn't tell you
I set the TV to game mode (which in of itself I find confusing that there's a certain mode for this, although TV remotes don't demand lightning response I suppose) but noticed no difference
However, when I was at my dad's house (he also has a Wii and a ton of VC games) last week, Super Mario World felt just right, you know? I think that the TV was some CRT from like 2003; the difference in graphics was negligible save for white-colored sprites having distinct... segments? Yeah, those, visible on them. kinda like small rectangles.
Anyway, my question is: Do CRT TVs actually have some technical upside to them? I did a quick Google and most of the messageboards discussing the subject were nostalgia-based, light-gun based, or a circlejerk over how much of a hassle it is to transport one

pic semi-related

>> No.1673831

>>1673824
Oh, before someone tries to call me out, I've always been gaming on PC but found emulating retro games is cringe-worthy due to the comfy couch setting being gone
Unless you hook up a PC to a tv
But both of my tvs don't allow any editing of the underscan/overscan

>> No.1673862

>>1673824

could be the game or emulator.
try the Super Mario All-Stars vc which has that game.
Try homebrew with nes emulator

Playing SMB3 on Super Mario All-Stars is better.
>better colours

>> No.1673875

>>1673824

to answer your question.

No BUT... when connecting an analogue source up to a digital tv you have to convert the analogue signal to digital, which takes time.

>cheap analog to digital convertor = slower

>> No.1673879

>>1673824
>>1673831
HDTVs have input lag over analog signals, such as composite and svideo.

CRTs do not.

>>>1653384

>> No.1673892

>>1673824
Make sure your Wii is set to 480p not 480i but it's very possible some VC games force interlaced modes, which will definitely be delayed when played on an HDTV. Even 480p signals can experience delay when being converted to the display's native resolution, which is probably what your TVs "game mode" mitigates. Displaying interlaced signals on progressive scan displays will always cause some delay though. People pay $400+ for Framemeisters whose only purpose is to perform this deinterlacing with high quality and bare minimum delay.

CRTs have no "native resolution" they just have a maximum resolution their guns can scan at. They can even handle progressive scan at half their maximum interlaced resolution by doubling up their scanlines.

Simply put, for image quality, motion quality, color intensity and response a good CRT reigns supreme. For size, weight, environmentalism, production cost, and other more consumer-focused concerns flat screens win out though.

The main reasons CRTs are disappearing is that they're way more profitable for the manufacturers between production and shipping cost. One 40 inch CRT is basically equivalent to a crate of ten 40 inch LCDs to the manufacturers though.

>> No.1674452
File: 20 KB, 266x173, hee.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

kek

>> No.1674494

>>1673892

>environmentalism.

I'd say that a CRT has far less of an impact on the environment than an LCD screen.

>> No.1674694

>>1674494
A CRT TV made 10+ years ago certainly does have less environmental impact if it is still in use, because nothing has been manufactured to replace it, and manufacturing is probably the worst part environmentally.

>> No.1674854

>>1673879
>I use composite
>am OP
makes sense I guess
and that thread is just people using alien terms and fapping over CRTs
>>1673862
Tried with Virtual Console releases, not emulators
Although FCEUX has unplayable delay in controls, it's like I'm playing
Castlevania

>> No.1674878

I own a Wii U. On my LG tv there is noticeable lag, but in the gamepad there is no lag at all.
Also, the gamepad screen isn't HD and the virtual console games look much better there.
The Donkey Kong temple levels or the 3D World champions road is much easier to beat on the Gamepad than Watching the tv.
Which is a shame, because you have to choose either an experience with no lag at all, or the eyecandy.

I also own 3 CRTVs, but that is common since I live in a third world country.

>> No.1674903

Not retro, but the delay is really noticeable in Super Smash Bros. Melee, even on the character selection menu. The game becomes much less prediction-based because you can actually see and react to what your opponent is doing.
Play on CRT whenever you can, OP. The hype is real.

>> No.1674921

>>1674694

I'd think that even the manufacture of CRTs has far less of an environmental impact than the manufacture of LCD HDTVs.

>> No.1675094

>>1673824
>Do CRT TVs actually have some technical upside to them?
Yes. You experienced input lag, one of the many problems of flat panel tv's when it comes to retro gaming.

>> No.1675303

Honestly, unless you've never played a video game on a CRT I think you'd have to be retarded not to notice delay playing on an HDTV, especially if you ever played an interlaced signal on one.